Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

In my neck of the woods, Moonlight is getting encore showings at our art house theatre, something that might not  have happened if not for the kerfuffle.

You think it was the mix-up and not the Best Picture win?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

If it had one Best Picture outright,

It did win Best Picture outright.

It's common, at least in my area, for Oscar-winning films to get a revival in the theatres.  I do agree, however, that there may be more people filling those theatre seats than is typical in such a scenario -- I think general awareness of the film was increased by the circumstances in which its win was announced compared to how it would have increased had the announcement gone smoothly; especially in this social media age, a lot of people who wouldn't normally have been reading/talking about the Oscar winners the next day found themselves surrounded by chatter about it.

• Love 2

In my small-town neck of the woods, the winning best movie is the only reason the film comes to our local video store or library, usually independent films don't make it unless they are a hit. Now when Birdman won I was able to rent it...and I wish I hadnt. Boyhood won the GG and same thing happened..was able to rent it and wish I had not (even though my beloved Jon Stewart said it was best). I as not a big fan of 12 years a slave but it was sonly much better than those 2.

Those 2 films that I hated made me very leary of critics so I listed to these boards cause you all are right more than critics.  Now I enjoyed Spotlight very much and agreed with voters it was good.

Nown we come to Moonlight..while I thought it was a good film and better than Birdman and Boyhood..I was like "is that all there is" . Ma her shall ALI was good but I think I must be missing something. I have a couple of friends who saw it and they were raving over it. Guess I am alone here..I will just wait for rest of the nominates films to be released and I will make my final comparisons then.

On 3/6/2017 at 4:23 PM, Poohbear617 said:

I have heard and read a lot of people saying the best picture mistake did not allow the Moonlight cast/crew its moment.  I guess I look at it a different way...due to the mistake many people will remember this film for longer. IEan besides us oscar/movie fans on this topic, how many people remember what picture won last year, the year before or 5 years ago. But people will remember this mistake.  Despite its nominations, Moonlight was still a small little movie that did even make it into a lot of theaters out here in the small town where I live. Some around here just shrugged it off because it has no superheroes or explosions so it is not worth seeing. The mistake has gotten so much publicity that many more people out here were introduced to it and wanted to see it.

I  also agree with those of you who stated that Ben Affleck is a good actor when given the right story. I loved him on good will hinting, the town, Argo and Gone girl. Yes he has made stinkers but which actor has not.  Personally I love Ben the director. Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo were all great. In addition each film had nominated performances and 1 winning best picture. That makes him 3 for 3.

Technically, 3 for 4. The most recent film he directed, Live By Night, was a bomb and wasn't nominated for anything.

Thank you TheOtherOne,  I forgot he had directed that one. I will see it when it is released on dvd. I hope I will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his other films.  IIRC Gone Baby Gone was  a bomb at the theater as well and the nomination did not help it at the box office. Whenever a film fails at the box office I  always think of Shawshank Redemption. .a bob at the box office and now 23 years later considered a well loved classic.  There is also My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I think was not a hit right away, it took a few weeks for word to spread and the theaters let it stay with modest attendance.  They don't seem to do that anymore.

• Love 1

I was surprised that my small-town cinema will be showing Moonlight starting this weekend, because it's already come out on DVD and I live in the heart of 45's fan base, which doesn't seem like the type of crowd who would go to see this one.  (I know--I shouldn't judge.  Bad wallflower75.)  I expect it will be gone by next weekend when Beauty and the Beast rolls into town, but it's nice to see it get a little bit of play out here in the sticks.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I was surprised that my small-town cinema will be showing Moonlight starting this weekend, because it's already come out on DVD and I live in the heart of 45's fan base, which doesn't seem like the type of crowd who would go to see this one.  (I know--I shouldn't judge.  Bad wallflower75.)  I expect it will be gone by next weekend when Beauty and the Beast rolls into town, but it's nice to see it get a little bit of play out here in the sticks.

Moonlight opened wider this past Friday, post-Best Picture win, than at any point in its initial release.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/movies/moonlight-oscars-box-office.html?_r=0

Guffglurghargh... B-b-but why? He was not good. I'd get asking back someone who was fine if not INCREDIBLE like Ellen or Chris Rock. Someone who could steer the ship well but... Kimmel??? I hope he at least comes cheap.

It sort of seems right to have him back, since he did an almost superhuman job of imparting a light tone to that catastrophe at the end. (As light a tone as it's possible to imagine.) That deserves some gratitude right there.

• Love 5

For the first 10 minutes he'll be doing a monologue about how in the world did he even get asked back. I guess he'll have time to do his Matt Damon skit they scrapped, if Matt's nominated.

YMMV, I thought someone else could have handled the Best Picture mistake better. He handled it as well as anyone in that he mostly got out of the way. Not sure that deserves praise. 

I actually liked the tour bus stuff, I thought there were too many random filmed pieces, and I feel they need to drop the Matt Damon stuff next year. Otherwise, I'm okay with Jimmy.

Academy membership to expand, to include more women and minorities. 

By the academy’s count, about 39 percent of those invited this year are women, and roughly 30 percent are members of minorities.

If all the invitations are accepted, female membership would rise to 28 percent, from 27 percent. The percentage of minority members would climb to 13 percent, from 11 percent. Almost everyone invited to join the academy accepts, but the organization keeps exact membership rolls private.

16 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

The nominations were as expected. No curveballs.

I think the recent accusations against Franco during the final voting days killed his chances. 

Most of the picks are snoozes (I want to see The Post, but I feel Streep's nomination is a out of habit thing) but I feel Get Out and Lady Bird benefited in the change of academy membership rules.  There was no way those two would have gotten in 5 years ago so there's progress. 

As for early predictions, I think Oldman, McDormand and Rockwell are locked in.  Metcalfe almost had it locked down, but Alison Janney is mounting one major challenge in the past few weeks. 

• Love 1

Not surprised Franco did not get a nomination with recent developments. 

I see Tom Hanks was not nominated for The Post. Funny he never seems to even get a nom anymore.

Yes I predicted all the nominations not that they don't deserve it. 

So darn happy that Franco got shut out of Lead Actor award. Hopefully, Oldman faces backlash and loses. 

Of course rooting for Saoirse, Laurie Metcalf, Jordan Peele, Daniel, and Get Out.

I really believe Get Out should win best Picture, cause in my eyes, that was the Movie of the Year and the only film people will still talk about for years to come.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

With all the love for 3 Billboards, no nom for  Martin McDonagh.

That's always a head scratcher, you would think directors would also be nominated if their films are, but that's nothing new. 

Nice to see Rachel Morrison get a nom for Mudbound since she's the first women to ever get one! But I think Roger Deakins will win since he's never Won one.

2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I feel Streep's nomination is a out of habit thing

I haven't seen "The Post" but it always seems like, if Meryl is in a movie that year, it's an automatic Best Actress nomination, regardless.  Don't get me wrong, I love Meryl Streep, but I do wonder if her nominations are always warranted.

I found it interesting that Christopher Plummer was nominated for a role that he took over from Kevin Spacey.  Justified?  or as a "dig" to Spacey??  hmmmm

25 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I haven't seen "The Post" but it always seems like, if Meryl is in a movie that year, it's an automatic Best Actress nomination, regardless.  Don't get me wrong, I love Meryl Streep, but I do wonder if her nominations are always warranted.

I found it interesting that Christopher Plummer was nominated for a role that he took over from Kevin Spacey.  Justified?  or as a "dig" to Spacey??  hmmmm

Agree on both counts.

26 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

Agree on both counts.

It's particularly ironic since, as I recall, Christopher Plummer was the original choice for the role, but TPTB insisted on Kevin Spacey because they felt he was the bigger draw. It makes me wonder whether Kevin would have been nominated if he hadn't so spectacularly destroyed his career that the film was forced to replace him retroactively with the original choice to avoid being associated with him.

I love Allison Janney, think she's terrific in every role she touches and am thrilled that she's finally received an Oscar nomination.  That said, I'm still hoping that Laurie Metcalf can somehow still pull out a win for her beautiful turn in Lady Bird.

I hate that Academy voters always seem to go for the over the top performance over the more nuanced one.  IMO, Gary Oldman's Churchill performance falls into the OTT category too.  He's been wonderful in SO many other roles but it seems that one has to "pull out all the stops" to finally win an Oscar.  In the case of the Churchill character, it just seems to me that we've very recently seen a brilliant, much more pulled back performance, albeit small screen vs big screen, with John Lithgow's turn as Churchill in The Crown, which I much preferred. JMHO.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I think the recent accusations against Franco during the final voting days killed his chances. 

Most of the picks are snoozes (I want to see The Post, but I feel Streep's nomination is a out of habit thing) but I feel Get Out and Lady Bird benefited in the change of academy membership rules.  There was no way those two would have gotten in 5 years ago so there's progress. 

As for early predictions, I think Oldman, McDormand and Rockwell are locked in.  Metcalfe almost had it locked down, but Alison Janney is mounting one major challenge in the past few weeks. 

Right now, I think I'd give it to Allison Janney. She already has both the Golden Globe & SAG Award for her performance, if she doesn't also have any foreign awards (like the BAFTA) for it. When the same person wins the Golden Globe & the SAG Award for a single performance, as Janney has, that usually raises their chances for taking the Oscar too. But I think there have been years where that also didn't happen. I just keep thinking about JK Simmons winning as Supporting Actor for Whiplash--As I remember, he was nominated for Supporting Actor in Whiplash at pretty much every awards show where a Supporting Actor category was honored & (again as I remember), he swept every single award he was nominated for at an awards show whether it was a major or minor award.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.

Early storyline for the Oscars - two young-ish minorities nominated for Best Director. I think that's awesome. Some movement towards the present and the future, a generational shift, even if it moves ever so slowly. Congrats to Jordan Peele and Greta Gerwig! Hopefully their nominations will signal more projects from the younger, creative minds. 

32 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Right now, I think I'd give it to Allison Janney. She already has both the Golden Globe & SAG Award for her performance, if she doesn't also have any foreign awards (like the BAFTA) for it. When the same person wins the Golden Globe & the SAG Award for a single performance, as Janney has, that usually raises their chances for taking the Oscar too. But I think there have been years where that also didn't happen. I just keep thinking about JK Simmons winning as Supporting Actor for Whiplash--As I remember, he was nominated for Supporting Actor in Whiplash at pretty much every awards show where a Supporting Actor category was honored & (again as I remember), he swept every single award he was nominated for at an awards show whether it was a major or minor award.

Is this just Allison Janney doing a more visible and effective campaign than Metcalfe (I have no source on that, just speculation)? I'm just surprised at how Metcalfe, who was the early frontrunner and favorite in the odds just got overtaken in a big way by someone whose film is not as well-received as hers. Maybe campaign resources got too much focus on Greta and Saoirse?

6 hours ago, roughing it said:

I haven't seen The Post yet, though I'm dying to, but a number of reviewers have singled out Streep's performance as elevating the film.

I just love Streep, so, it's hard not to pull for her brilliance, but, perhaps I am biased when it comes to her.  She is just my kind of actor.  Still, I've read for years how political the Oscars are and it's more about who smoozes who. (I don't mean political in the traditional sense.)  I can't even stand to watch the awards anymore.  I do wish them all luck though, I know it means so much to them and can really make a huge difference in their careers. 

12 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I'm hoping in future oscar telecasts that Meryl Streep stops getting nominated.. it's overkill and she isn't even that great of an actress.

I'

Hmmm. I get opinions vary but, what? Respectfully...

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, WritinMan said:

Patrick Stewart really should have gotten a Supporting Actor nom.

On the upside, I didn't even notice that Logan got in for Adapted Screenplay so I will be rooting for this one. 

Does anyone have a list of the actresses in the videos including Gal Gadot, Salma Hayek, Zoe Saldana, that were shown during the nomination announcements?

ETA:  Gal Gadot, Salma Hayek, Rosario Dawson, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Rodriguez, Zoe Saldana, Molly Shannon, Rebel Wilson, and Michelle Yeoh.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
36 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I wonder if Armie Hammer’s snub was payback for his frank interview with The Hollywood Reporter?  

I'm guessing it's more likely due to the fact that CMBYN wasn't as strong as 3 Billboards and he and Michael Stuhlbarg ended up splitting votes.  He missed a few precursors too.

My only real disappointment is that Evermore from Beauty and The Beast didn't get a nom. Although based on precursors I was kinda expecting it to miss out. Upside I won't have to be too disappointed if This Is Me wins the award now. I'm also guessing that perhaps the Academy decided they already acknowledged the music back in 91/92 and didn't need to do it again.

My What? moments both appear in Animated Feature with Boss Baby AND Ferdinand getting a nom. I enjoyed Boss Baby but it fumbled its execution in the end when they made the events real instead of the older brother's over active imagination (which is where I thought the plot was going) and I haven't seen Ferdinand but the trailers haven't impressed me with its actual animation. I;m wondering if the Ninjago movie hurt Lego Batman in some way.

My big Where the heck did that come from? moment was in the song category with the nomination for the Marshall song. Never heard of the movie let alone the song, but with research I should have expected a nom when I discovered Dianne Warren wrote the song. Not a fan of the song, but she may pull off an upset if people are aware of all the noms and no wins she has had.

Edited by Bill1978

Baffled by Darkest Hour and Denzel getting in for a movie that wasn't on anyone's radar and Marshall sneaking in for best song but otherwise, yeah, no surprises. I can rationalize those with Gary Oldman/period piece... Denzel... and Diane Warren/Common... It seems like a weird choice to go with so many repeat nominees but maybe they already thought they were stepping out there with Timothee Chalamet, Get Out, etc. 

I don't see anything to get fired up about but I'm sure that in the next few months I'll get at least a little riled up over some hot takes. I have not seen any of the movies nominated. I'm most interested in Shape of Water and I, Tonya. I feel like I should care about Call Me By Your Name but it's just not my thing. I want to see The Breadwinner but I won't unless it's on Netflix. 

I guess the only debate is if you're on the 3 Billboards bandwagon. I'm not after this. https://www.thedailybeast.com/tone-deaf-three-billboards-tries-absolving-white-people-of-racism-and-oscars-season-loves-it

I don't know. I'm not looking forward to another year of Kimmel. I skipped the Golden Globes. I might sit this one out too and just check out the song performances and any notable moments the next day.

Minus "Loving Vincent" which I've never heard of, Coco (Pixar) and The Breadwinner (from the people who made Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea) are the only serious nominees in that category. I'm guessing the Academy just went... eh, Dreamworks and Blue Sky? Going for the animation studio over the actual movie. They're usually better about throwing some non-US animation studios in there. But I guess there was nothing from Studio Ghibli and other countries didn't volunteer anything better? I get the lack of enthusiasm for filling out the ballot when it usually goes to Disney or Pixar. 

1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Minus "Loving Vincent" which I've never heard of, Coco (Pixar) and The Breadwinner (from the people who made Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea) are the only serious nominees in that category. I'm guessing the Academy just went... eh, Dreamworks and Blue Sky? Going for the animation studio over the actual movie. They're usually better about throwing some non-US animation studios in there. But I guess there was nothing from Studio Ghibli and other countries didn't volunteer anything better? I get the lack of enthusiasm for filling out the ballot when it usually goes to Disney or Pixar. 

From my understanding, there was a change in the nomination process for Animated Feature. In the past, I believe it was only members of the Animation Guilds that were involved in the nomination process. This year it was opened up to the entire Academy. That could explain Boss Baby and Ferdinand.