Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Fashion Flip

• Start Topic

Well, the judges certainly keep us guessing, don't they - who'd a-thunk Blake's balloon would even make it down the runway, much less win?  And I rolled my eyes at Heidi's (favorable!) comment that Candace's dress gave her model "the illusion" of curves - why not just hire a few strutters with an actual curvy female shape (no, I'm not suggesting they use plus size ladies, merely try sizes 6 - 8 or so.)  And of course, what's needed to avoid that mumsy feeling is a 15 yr old judge (Kiernan Shipka, who actually tried hard to be kind, imo.)

Edited by telemachus2
  • Love 2

Blake - ugh.

As others have said, even if the other three judges had loathed the short sparkly dress, there was no way Heidi was letting it go in the bottom.

Peplum has to go - it's affected and makes most women look hippy (not hippy as in Woodstock).

How many of them referenced the NYC skyline?  Maybe three or four. (Too bad the Chinese woman went home last week - that challenge was made for her.)

• Love 3

(Too bad the Chinese woman went home last week - that challenge was made for her.)

Yes, I was ticked off every time I saw sucky Amanda when Hanmiao should have stayed. She excelled in one challenge with a gold panelled design but they kept Amanda around when all she does is rightly lament her suckitude.

• Love 2

I feel like they keep Amanda around because of her TH's and the drama of her uncertainty about her place in the show.  I would have felt sorry for her if she didn't get herself together in those to be incredibly bitchy and judgmental. 

Last week I speculated that part of this season is about taking down Tim's credibility so they can get rid of him and save those costs.  Blake's win solidifies that for me.  There was some weirdness with Sandhiya last season, but this was just like....exactly what everyone has already articulated.  

And Heidi, if you really want new and innovative, maybe give more than a couple hours for design and construction.  Cut the fucking field down so you have fewer designers to house and feed, stop doing things like renting out Madison Square Garden, and extend these challenges!  Especially when a sponsor is involved.  Or, hire people to do the sewing.  That would open up your contestant pool, too.

I kind of want one of these people to literally, visibly staple some fabric together and send it down the runway.

I love Kelly Osborne so yay for that next week.  I had no idea who this child was, but she wasn't all that bad.

Edited by phoenix780
  • Love 7

What in the hell was going on this week? I felt like poor Tim Gunn was doing more counseling than mentoring due to so many whiny needy contestants in the workroom clamoring for his attention and approval. When Amanda started complaining about how she was down in the dumps because she has been in the bottom two weeks in a row, I just rolled my eyes. Look, I get that being on PR and doing these weird challenges in one day is stressful. I really do. But acting like this isn't going to change anything. Be better. Use your time wisely. And quit whining!

Similarly when Gabrielle said she was waiting for Tim so she could get feedback and it was cutting into her schedule, I was like dude, get a grip. I understand wanting to get some fresh eyes on your design and some comments but you can't rely solely on Tim Gunn's opinion (as we have seen! Although to be fair, he gave Swapnil good advice this week when he told him to make the back as low as possible and later the judges really loved that about his design).

Blake. I seriously just typed his name and then sat here for a good two minutes trying to decide what to say about him. I loathe his "I'm so cute and adorable" attitude, his whiny voice, and the way he cocks his head to the side when he thinks he is being cute (which usually means he is being obnoxious). There's self confidence (as we have seen with Candice) and then there is just obnoxiously delusional. Blake thinks the sun rises and sets on his "adorable" little face. All I see is an ignorant untalented shit stirrer. I am still floored that the judges liked his fug parachute dress - and that's before you get into how horribly it was constructed. I also hate that he was completely unable to articulate his design to Tim. As a designer, it's important to be able to verbalize your vision.

Jake's sequined dress should have been in the bottom. I had a dress almost exactly like that (without the big number on the front). I was 17 when I wore it. That should tell you just about everything you need to know about Jake's design.

Amanda's dress was terribly designed. She didn't make the wrap part obvious so I understand why the judges were so confused by the two colored toga look. But even worse, the way it was designed made the model look really wide. You know you are doing a terrible job when you manage to make these skinny models look like they have gigantic hips and waists. I laughed at the first half of Amanda's assessment of Candace: "Candace's strategy is to always seem polished, put together, and perfect, to act super confident and strong." Uhhh, what part of that is bad?

In contrast, Swapnil managed to create volume without making his model look big. His dress wasn't anything new or innovative but it was fun. I laughed when Heidi and Nina said that the back wasn't TOO bare. I agreed with Kiernan Shipka that the straps were a good width. When they're too skinny, it can cheapen the look. When they're too wide, they can be reminiscent of extra supportive bras.

I hated Lindsey's look. I didn't like the jacket or the outfit underneath. But I was also annoyed at Blake's description of Lindsey's customer. Not everyone wants to be out at a club until 4am and they need clothes too! It just goes to show his very immature and insecure attitude though. I bet he still has that high school mentality where he can't go anywhere in public alone because he thinks that other people will think he's a loser. I still don't like Lindsey's attitude (it's clear she can't take constructive criticism) but she definitely won points with me when she said, "I don't know if it's more embarrassing that he doesn't know [how to tell time] or that he's pretending to not know."

I found it hilarious every time anyone mentioned how Mary Kay their design was, acting like "Mary Kay" is synonymous with edgy and cool 20 something girls. Mary Kay is like Avon. Suburban housewives buy it. There's nothing wrong with suburban housewives but they are not the ones who are going to wear, say, a black leather dress.

regarding Gabrielle and the serger: she must have been totally unaware that people were sewing knit fabric successfully for years before sergers were invented.  She deserved to go home for that stupidity alone. Idiot.

She deserved to go home for choosing a fabric and somehow not realizing that it was not the four way stretch she wanted. It's pretty easy to tell when something is four way stretch vs two way stretch vs no stretch so that was a huge fail on her part. And to be honest, the fact that she wanted to make a white dress out of four way stretch is so tacky that she should have been sent home for that too.

Blake's dress was horrible but I'm glad that he won because the look of confusion on Candace's face was awesome. I figure she seems rich anyway and Blake could use the $5000 more than her.

I don't care who could use the money more because this isn't a charity. Blake's dress sucked so he didn't deserve that $5000.

And I can't imagine how hot it must have been to wear (and I'm "cool blooded") or how potentially chafing? (I don't wear much faux leather, so I might be wrong about that).

I have some faux leather and the biggest down side is that it doesn't breathe well so it can make you sweat more than normal. It doesn't chafe though (at least not the pieces I have worn).

• Love 18

Some of my favorites were the ones we never saw prior to the runway show. Therefore, without even seeing the designs themselves, I knew that the designers were going to be in the safe category. As for Jake? He totally has Heidi's number. He won't win the whole thing, but he could stay a while if he continues to design for Heidi.

So, I was wondering, do you think they are projecting past contestants and winners onto Blake? I was wondering if he reminded them of other younger designers that they really liked in the past. However, I do think that Nina was thinking about how the clothes would look in the magazine, and, quite frankly, that's a real consideration considering what the prize was. With that perspective I can understand that they were drawn to Blake's dress. The outfits that were in the gray or black tones would not pop on the page.

• Love 1

Well, in all the Blake blast, no one mentioned this specifically, but I paused the tv and stared because I couldn't even believe it:  the neckline on the left of Blake's dress was just a raw, badly scissored edge of fabric.   When he brought out that necklace and said, "I need to cover up the neckline," it wasn't because of any damn blood spot. (And the model knew it--she was trying to roll it under when Zac snooped beneath the necklace.  Bless her heart.)

Of course, they only had nine hours, which had to include Tim consult, Mary Kay consult, Sally hairstyle consult and model fitting.  So "The Eight Hour Challenge" is the new standard.  They should change the name of the show to that and then the judges could all coo and marvel if someone gets a hem in or a seam finished.

I wouldn't be caught dead in a peplum, but that model only needed a black hat with a huge brim and a long cigarette holder for classic Audrey Hepburn.  I got a very sophisticated New York vibe from that look. 

As opposed to the stretch lace(?) see-through skirt and the huge layered top with the curious black chunk in the middle that the designer thought would be perfect "for the office."  LOL

Edited by candall
  • Love 9

All the designers kvelling about Mary Kay makeup was hilarious.

Exception:  Ashley might have been sincere when she showed her pretty little summer frock and said, "I think this is a Mary Kay woman."

• Love 2

Blake’s shit was so raggedy! Even if I liked the design, which I didn’t, it was so poorly constructed – it was buckling where the two blues came together and the neckline was jagged. I hate Blake so I know I’m not being objective, but the shoddy construction was so blatant, I thought he had to get dinged for it.

I LOVED when Candace said it wasn’t cute to pretend to be stupid and treated not knowing how to tell time like it was embarrassing. Because it is.

I’d have put Jake’s in the bottom over Lindsay’s; Lindsay’s was just boring (her aesthetic is so boring to me overall) but Jake’s was tacky as hell. It was too short and the number on it was tacky. As y’all have said, I’m sure it was Heidi who saved it.

Amanda’s dress doubled her model’s hip width and it wasn’t obvious at all that it was a wrap dress. I LOVE wrap dresses so if she had pulled out a cool one I’d have been all for it, but that wasn’t even recognizable as a wrap dress. (When she says “friend,” it reminds me of Diane on black-ish.)

Gabrielle deserved to go home. I said "That hem looks like it was chewed off" when I saw it, and then one of the judges said the same thing. And when they had the model take off the coat and I saw the top of the dress, I cringed. It looked like, to borrow Kelly's phrase, "a child project." It seems like she just lost the plot here. She was one of those "Wait, who?" designers for me so far (same with Jake; I think because I don't remember seeing him on the Road to the Runway show) but she hadn't churned out anything so amateurish before. I felt sorry for her, but it was the right call.

The designers were very charitable about the Mary Kay product placement because Mary Kay is not now, nor has it ever been, synonymous with edgy and cool. If you asked me who the Mary Kay girl was, I'd say middle-aged suburban housewife.

• Love 8

Izabella, a serger is a machine that binds the seams of knit wear to prevent raveling.

Look inside any t-shirt or bathing suit on the planet and you'll see serging. I don't have a serger but make my living sewing (don't ask...) and find that a simple zig-zag stitch works fine to allow stretch fabrics to move.

And Heidi, if you really want new and innovative, maybe give more than a couple hours for design and construction.  Cut the fucking field down so you have fewer designers to house and feed, stop doing things like renting out Madison Square Garden, and extend these challenges!  Especially when a sponsor is involved.  Or, hire people to do the sewing.  That would open up your contestant pool, too.

Thank you. One of the designers even said they were going for simple just so they could get the damn project finished...they compromised their design because of the ridiculous time restraints. This has been an ongoing problem for a few years now and has had--is having a serious effect on the quality of the garments and the show. I can only imagine the frustration of the designers who have a lot riding on a possible win and their careers.

With respect, I have to disagree with your suggestion of having someone other than the designers do the sewing. In my experience, in any artistic discipline, the designer has to--must--understand deeply the possibilities and limitations of their materials and craft to be able to use them as well as they possibly can. Yes, it takes time to master your craft, but it's essential.

• Love 14

When Jake's dress came out, I was wondering if he lost most of his money so he was only able to buy a very small amount of fabric. That was the only reasonable explanation for that ridiculously short sequin schmatta.

• Love 6

In my experience, in any artistic discipline, the designer has to--must--understand deeply the possibilities and limitations of their materials and craft to be able to use them as well as they possibly can.

I completely agree.  My grandmother was a professional seamstress, so I learned to sew before I could write my own name. And she insisted that things look as good on the inside as they did on the outside, or they were taken apart and redone.  I think many of the designers coming in are woefully deficient in knowing very fundamental design construction techniques, and it shows with the crap they send out.  

And as we saw last week, knowledge of rudimentary fashion history and regional styles is sparse.  Thus we got a great representation of a current St. Petersburg, Florida matron's sheath masquerading as a St. Petersburg, Russia inspired garment.  

This lack of education and experience in the foundations of real fashion is "The Anya Effect".  She made it acceptable to be unskilled and ignorant of the design fundamentals, and was richly rewarded for it. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9

I'm full of unpopular opinions on this one:

I didn't like Candice's dress.  It seems weirdly bunched up in places.  I also don't think it said "Mary Kay Woman."  The designers seem to forget that they have a specific audience to target when they're talking fashion spread. 

I didn't mind Blake's dress from the front, and I can understand why it was chosen for the Mary Kay print ad.  That said, it was poorly made.  Almost as bad as the white dress, which was laughably bad.  I think most of my negative reaction to his piece was from watching him be incompetent in the workroom, but construction like that should never win.   

I liked Swampnil's and would have given him the win.  He hit all the requirements: Mary Kay, interesting for print work, New York (whatever that means...I guess it's not redesigned farm wear?) and he actually reimagined a iconic piece, the LBD. 

I didn't mind Jake's dress, at all.  I'm glad he was safe. 

I agree with all three of the bottom dwellers, as well as the one that went home.  I'm sure the judges said it before editing, but that wrap crap made the model look fat (which always gets a gasp from the judges, because that's the worst thing anyone could be, ever!)  Still, even I was surprised just how huge the model looked.  That red dress/crop top/tube skirt was a monstrosity and it would have been criminal to not send white dress home.

Edited by CousinOliver
  • Love 7

Seriously? Blake's monstrosity is the winner over Candice and Swapnil's pieces?

Shaking my head.

I'm just hoping that "also ran" Swapnil is going to be this season's Dmitri, who never wins a challenge but pulls off a win of the whole shebang in the end

If I recall correctly, Season One's Jay Carroll never won a challenge and walked off with the whole thing.  

• Love 5

I liked Swapnil, Ashley, Candice and Merline for the top. If you can get past the fact that there's a famous picture of Irving Penn's wife wearing, essentially, Joseph's dress in 1950, probably him too.

I don't see how they can give Blake's atrocity (which is so far from the New Look that I can't imagine that no-one called him on it) a pass for being at best a raw-edged sketch of a Disney princess dress and sent anyone else home. But then, someone went home for using too much muslin when he was on top for a muslin dress, so apparently they're very determined to keep him. Maybe he's someone's nephew? And my mom owned Lindsey's jacket back in 1980, but it's hardly poorly made standing next to Blake's.

Is it weird that Blake's manipulation of his freakish persona to create water cooler moments is so blatant that the editors are including the other contestants talking about it? And speaking of persona creation, I'm not sure what's more impressive - Joseph's makeover as a sensitive soul who's concerned about his competitors (did he really take a dig at the fit of Merline's skirt while her model was walking?) or Amanda's as a peppy font of good cheer and optimism. Her social circle must be a spectacular drag if she's the most positive person in it.

Zac should be ashamed of himself for calling out that hem after he specifically looked at the neck of Blake's piece and complimented it. I don't expect better from Nina. I did think it was hilarious that Heidi even hinted that she didn't know who designed the jellyfish dress.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

Well, in all the Blake blast, no one mentioned this specifically, but I paused the tv and stared because I couldn't even believe it: the neckline on the left of Blake's dress was just a raw, badly scissored edge of fabric. When he brought out that necklace and said, "I need to cover up the neckline," it wasn't because of any damn blood spot. (And the model knew it--she was trying to roll it under when Zac snooped beneath the necklace. Bless her heart.)

Of course, they only had nine hours, which had to include Tim consult, Mary Kay consult, Sally hairstyle consult and model fitting. So "The Eight Hour Challenge" is the new standard. They should change the name of the show to that and then the judges could all coo and marvel if someone gets a hem in or a seam finished.

Yes! Thank you! I was so blinded by rage at the prospect of that twerp's mess being in the top that I woke up thinking I'd dreamed that raggedy NECKLINE. A little blood ("Mediiiiiiiic!!," please. Go get your own damn band-aid.) was the least of that neckline's problem. Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 9

[. . .] in any artistic discipline, the designer has to--must--understand deeply the possibilities and limitations of their materials and craft to be able to use them as well as they possibly can. Yes, it takes time to master your craft, but it's essential.

I totally agree.  But I question whether these people should be criticized so severely for hair and makeup and handbag choices.

I think in "Clothing Design," the garment is the main thing and there's probably a whole separate occupation full of people who assemble all the rest of the look so as to best highlight the clothes.

(ETA:  For PR, I'd put a loose, pretty chignon on top of all those willowy model necks. Stiletto pumps for all the short dresses and shoe booties for the long stuff.  Strong eye OR lip.  Done.  Hey, judges, check out this thing I designed!)

Edited by candall
  • Love 5
The whole concept of this challenge was a mess.

Agree 200%.  The person thinking up these "challenges" is clearly phoning it in.  Lame, lame, lame.  Worse yet, boring.  Just another "Make whatever you want, we don't care."

At least we got Swatch and bad fabric choices at Mood.

Aw, Swatch licks his foot.  My dog does that too.   My frustration at hearing the "challenge" kept getting deeper and deeper at all the black and white fabric bolts being pulled out.  Black neoprene--oh the humanity!

She was one of those "Wait, who?" designers for me so far.

Poor Gabrielle.  Right up to her aufing, I was trying to remember her name.

Re Blake's:  Good:  I like it when designers try different silhouettes so points for that.  Bad:  I hate that combination of blue and black and the types of fabrics were not complementary to each other.  Bad Nina:  What a hypocrite saying she doesn't care about finishing.  Since when?  I'd like to see how the dress is redone before it's shot for the magazine.  They should be required to shoot it exactly as it is.

Re Swapnil's:  I wish he had extended the ruffles a little into the back.  It looked too much like two completely different dresses cut apart and attached at the side seams.  His would have been my choice for the win even as it was, though.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 2

I fear for what else is to come this season. Blake slaps some card pieces and a TON of glitter on some muslin, and the judges love it while slamming other outfits that were also mostly muslin. And now this week, he puts that parachute monstrosity down the runway and they love it? When Heidi asked where he thought he was, I was like, that dress is awful and he has to be in the bottom. But no. And then, when they were looking at it close-up, and they moved the giant necklace aside to reveal the unfinished neckline it was covering, I thought they'd change their minds. But nope. HE WINS?!? WTF?!? (I loved when he was dressing the model and she was like, "I don't know about this necklace…" and he was like, "I've gotta cover that neckline I didn't finish!") Bloodstain my ass. Not to mention all the puckering and the fact that it literally does look like she's dragging a parachute behind her. It's unflattering, looks uncomfortable to wear… it's ugly… so naturally it wins.

Candace was robbed. She had my favorite look on the runway. Swapnil was a close second, though. I don't really think a Mary Kay woman would wear that sexy leather dress, but then again, I don't know much about Mary Kay. I hear it and think middle-aged housewives. But it was still a nice dress and very well made. (Aside from what I thought might have been an unfinished hem on a part of the jacket.) And I also remember one of the judges saying that Candace's look was very Mary Kay. Um, okay. Clearly the judges are on crack. That's the only explanation for any of this.

The only thing I can agree with them on is who they sent home. That look was pretty awful. Especially that dress. Wow. And if Amanda was this discouraged after two times on the bottom, what's going to happen after three? Next week should be interesting!

Oh, and yes to everyone who's been complaining about this ridiculous challenge. Inspired by the NYC skyline, based off of a classic silhouette, and for a Mary Kay woman? Like they say, take one thing off before you leave the house. SIMPLIFY.

• Love 8

Blake who is your Mary Kay woman that you created this dress for?

Well she's young and wanted a black dress that could go from work to evening by adding a big necklace.  At the party she attended she sat on a big blue beanbag chair which deflated and got stuck on her ponytail.  No worries for our girl though!  She just acted like she meant for that to happen and struts out with a "new look" right into the pages of Marie Claire.

• Love 15

Next, a baby will be the guest judge.

Nina wants to show everyone that she 'gets' Blake because she feels like it will make her look young.

Amanda is one of the worst designers ever to be on this show, with the worst attitude, and the worst self-awareness, and that dress is one of the worst fucking things that I have ever seen.  Shame, shame on this show.  GET RID OF HER.  I have such a hate for this person.

Joseph's model is extremely beautiful.  I think that's the one that stood out to me.  Shockingly beautiful.

Laurie had the best design for me this week.

I love how Kelly looks like she's from Jem and the Holograms.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I didn't like Candice's dress.  It seems weirdly bunched up in places.  I also don't think it said "Mary Kay Woman."  The designers seem to forget that they have a specific audience to target when they're talking fashion spread.

I agree. I thought her look was overworked to the point of torture - like the assignment was to see how many seems you could sew in nine hours. Plus she's a snot.

Ashley and Merline were obviously given the week off.

I'm beginning to wonder if the producers think Blake could be Christian 2.0. Cute little twink with grandiose designs. Of course Christian could read a clock...and sew.

Swapnil is now officially my new imaginary boyfriend.

• Love 3

When Jake's dress came out, I was wondering if he lost most of his money so he was only able to buy a very small amount of fabric. That was the only reasonable explanation for that ridiculously short sequin schmatta.

Yeah, but did you see the way Heidi's eyes lit up and the big smile on her face when that mess came down the runway?  It wouldn't surprise me if we see her wearing that dress, or something similar, on a red carpet somewhere in the future.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 2

As far as the "Mary Kay woman" part of the challenge requirements - perhaps they should have changed the wording to say "the woman Mary Kay would like to have".  

While none of the outfits really addressed that part of the challenge, at least Candice's outfit, when shown all together, appeared to look like it could appeal to that client.  With the white jacket/top and the faux leather on the bottom, it looked like a modern, unique spin on a classic leather skirt and white blouse.

Unfortunately for Mary Kay, their "woman" or customer is not one who would be wearing something that is considered editorial.  IMO, they would want something wearable, without having a parachute attached to their back.  Again, how would someone sit in that mess without looking like a deflated Christmas inflatable thingy you see on a suburban lawn?  

I can understand editorial, but I don't even think that mess was editorial.  There are so many bad descriptions that I thought of when seeing Blake's dress come down the runway.  

I really felt that this was one of those WTF moments on PR that makes me continue to scratch my head.  I don't think Blake should have gone home over the eliminated designer, but he should have been in the bottom three, for sure.

• Love 5

I think Nina's job is in jeopardy.

It wouldn't be the first time. She left her last job ugly.

Yeah, but did you see the way Heidi's eyes lit up and the big smile on her face when that mess came down the runway?  It wouldn't surprise me if we see her wearing that dress, or something similar, on a red carpet somewhere in the future.

They really did. I was surprised it didn't end up on top.

• Love 1

So this is going to be one of those seasons where they're judging while on crack. Good to know. Not only was Blake's look the second worst constructed garment in the entire bunch, right behind the one belonging to the person they sent home, but he really did just tack a parachute to a tube dress. Normally I'd hate a reaction like Candice's, but in this instance I felt she was justified for feeling sour because that decision was nonsense.

I loved Laurie's and thought it should've been in the top.

• Love 2

Unfortunately for Mary Kay, their "woman" or customer is not one who would be wearing something that is considered editorial.  IMO, they would want something wearable, without having a parachute attached to their back.  Again, how would someone sit in that mess without looking like a deflated Christmas inflatable thingy you see on a suburban lawn?

It's fashion (supposedly). You're not supposed to sit.

After further reflection, I think it looked like the back half of a royal blue (shades of the '80s) diaper.

The kind of childishness that Blake displays is odd. I assume it must be something that's encouraged at home, around friends and family. Perhaps they laugh and tell him he's cute. It seems to be a coping mechanism too. It's just odd to me that any adult would pretend to not know how to tell the time.

Anyway, I do think his dress was the more editorial and that's why he won.

Edited by greenbean
  • Love 4

Lindsey's impatient comment that if Blake really can't tell time, it's only slightly less cute than if he's pretending he can't is right on. He needs to cut that "I'm an adorable faerie bitch, love/fear me" foolishness right out. It's shut-up o'clock, believe it.

This, from the recap? Made me very happy.

Anyway, I do think his dress was the more editorial and that's why he won.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what "editorial" means, but if it means something other than "has to be completely recreated in appropriate fabrics by someone who can actually cut patterns and sew before they're letting a camera anywhere near it" I'm not seeing it.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Did I imagine that, or was Edmond wearing a head lamp in the work room? Is his other job coal mining?

As you get older, more light helps see details.  Don't ask me how I know....but there's a reason for the flashlight app on your iphone.

That red haired model is a direct trip to bottom 3!  I'd be worried sick if I was the designer she was assigned to on the next challenge.

And, Heidi would never have worn Jake's basketball jersey dress:  her stuff needs to be short, shiny, and tight!  It wasn't tight.

Okay, Amanda the little blonde, can just stop right now.  I do not believe everything you've ever done was done without any sort of problem whatsoever until Project Runway.  Stop moaning and whining how you don't know how  you'll do it this time while all you really want is a pat on your head from Tim Gunn.  I mean, "Waah, just waah!"

• Love 2

It seems to be a coping mechanism too. It's just odd to me that any adult would pretend to not know how to tell the time.

Aaaah, there we go. 

One of my friends is a bazillionaire farmer, with thousands of acres.  He's pretty sophisticated, e.g. jetting off to ski for gay pride weekends with massive amounts of Vuitton luggage (which I tell him is begging for trouble.)

One winter he rented a posh apartment in Manhattan. . .and immediately lost his marbles.  He adopted a backwards country bumpkin persona--told people to call him "Critter," ffs.  He probably pretended he'd never seen a clock before, too, or indoor plumbing.

Coping mechanism:  Bing!

Zach should be ashamed of himself for calling out that hem after he specifically looked at the neck of Blake's piece and complimented it. I don't expect better from Nina. I did think it was hilarious that Heidi even hinted that she didn't know who designed the jellyfish dress.

I think this speaks to how the judges are influenced by the designers' looks and personalities. Young, cute, bitchy gay man is a type they're inclined to respond favorably to, while the low-key, mousy designers have targets on their backs. Blake could be in this for the long haul, unfortunately.

Funny how none of the past Project Runway designers thought the winning look deserved it in their blogs this week. Alexander Pope pointed out that parachute dresses are hardly a new concept, so originality should not have been enough to make up for the terrible construction.

If Tim Gunn uses his save in the next few weeks, there could be 11 designers showing at fashion week. That's ridiculous.    

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 1

I clearly am not on point with the group today. I did not care for Candice's design and I love a peplum. Probably because peplums are very flattering on me lol.

I do agree, though, that Kiernan Shipka was a pretty darn good judge and kind to those in the bottom. She showed maturity that Nina "vagina" Garcia could only dream of. And I'm guessing the drinking game word this season that will have us one step from rehab is "mumsy." ::::rolls eyes::::

• Love 3

I don't like the mousy low-key designers either.  But I have a bias against libarians, to use Blake's word.

I'm sure this has been said, but I think Blake escaped from Rupauls' Drag Race and should really be serving up some bitchy fairy realness.

I think the big guy...the jerk from last week is also from that show.  To me he sounds exactly like Delta Work.  

I'm confused about this "more editorial" concept with respect to the winning design, and I guess what I'm wondering is...I know the prize is a shot in the magazine, but the challenge wasn't explicitly tied into that.  And so I sort of think they shouldn't have had a runway but done a photoshoot instead to determine which look would be the victorious one.  Maybe that would have jazzed up the designs a bit, too, because NYC to me doesn't inspire big bold colors (didn't seem to for the designers either, except for a couple), but if you told me the look had to pop on film...I dunno, I think people might have made different/better choices.

I just feel like there's a disconnect, if the winning look was selected primarily because of how it would appear in the magazine.

• Love 3

The one point the judges made that I completely agreed with about Blake's dress was that it looked as though the poofy parachute back part was attached to the model's braid. Both Nina and Zac said it and then started laughing. And weirdly neither of them seemed to think that might just be another construction mistake. I actually did think he had an interesting idea but usually shit construction like that lands you on the bottom. The neckline was just a V cut into the top! Jesus!

At least we got to see Swatch.

• Love 3
I also hate that he was completely unable to articulate his design to Tim. As a designer, it's important to be able to verbalize your vision.
Oh, but he did verbalize it when he said he would tack one fabric to the back of the other. lmao  It was just too simplistic to actually explain.  That shouldn't have been allowed to walk the runway.  
  • Love 1

I think the producers are desperate for a new Christian Siriano.  That boy was lightning in a bottle, in terms of talent, work ethic and personality.  The only things Blake shares with him is gender and height.  That's IT!

And it's totally bullshit for Blake to cite some sort of reference to Dior's "New Look" as his inspiration.  Idiot.  Dior never did racer-back, color blocking or spaghetti straps. That deflated thing had ZERO influence from Dior that I could see, though Joe's peplum suit top could pull off that comparison.   

• Love 5

Oh, Project Runway. You just wouldn't be you without at least one cheek-slapping, hair-ripping-out, head-scratching completely inexplicable win per season.  I'm delighted to see so many other people had the same reaction to Blake's stomach turning horrible parachute accident as I did.  Nina, Zak and Heidi all fawning over it made me want to vomit.  And they fanged other designs for being badly proportioned - did they not see that that front of that thing was completely crooked?  I would rather believe that the fix is in, and it was just the pre-scripted moment for them to love something ghastly, than that they actually liked it.  Eek.

At least once every season I swear I'm going to stop watching this show forever.  Why do we think they do it? 

• Love 1

I think many of the designers coming in are woefully deficient in knowing very fundamental design construction techniques, and it shows with the crap they send out.

I'm surprised at some of the designers' lack of sewing skills, but really flabbergasted at their cluelessness regarding fabric. Even if you can't do the actual construction, isn't an understanding of how fabrics function/drape/work together even MORE basic? I'm a graphic designer, and yes, lots of people can make designs that look pretty -- but are a bitch to print. Even if you don't know how to run a printing press (or sewing machine) you should have a basic understanding of the process and materials (or ease in sewing and fabrics) that go into the final product so you'll know what will and won't ultimately work. Based on what we saw in the workroom, wasn't the winning design (which: WTF!?!?!?) made of two fabrics that don't play nicely together?

• Love 4

Yes, and Gabrielle was complaining about the white fabric she'd bought to make her dress for underneath saying it was really hard to sew. Then why did you buy it? And last week, Hanmaio tried to make a bathing suit out of a non-stretch material… (although to be fair, she REALLY didn't want to make a bathing suit, so she might not have been thinking she'd be made to when she picked that particular fabric)

Just like artists know how to use various media like pencils, oil paints, charcoal, etc, these designers should know how to use fabrics. I know nothing about fashion or design, but I should think that would be like, year one material at design school.

• Love 3

I'm surprised at some of the designers' lack of sewing skills, but really flabbergasted at their cluelessness regarding fabric. Even if you can't do the actual construction, isn't an understanding of how fabrics function/drape/work together even MORE basic? I'm a graphic designer, and yes, lots of people can make designs that look pretty -- but are a bitch to print. Even if you don't know how to run a printing press (or sewing machine) you should have a basic understanding of the process and materials (or ease in sewing and fabrics) that go into the final product so you'll know what will and won't ultimately work. Based on what we saw in the workroom, wasn't the winning design (which: WTF!?!?!?) made of two fabrics that don't play nicely together?

This. My daughter bought me a t-shirt that read "I'm a graphic designer. I solve problems you don't know you have in ways you don't understand." I guess it's job security?

I just hope Zac doesn't hurt his brand. He actually understands construction. I can't imagine why he's going along with this weirdness.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1