Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Fashion Flip

• Start Topic

Yep, a lot of folks seemed mystified by the joining of a knit to a weave. Tim, too, if I am recalling correctly.

I did love both the "scuba section" & "vegan leather" from Mood. Just the terms cracked me up.

• Love 3

I'm glad almost everyone is also smelling the BS that is wafting from Blake's "win." I wonder is Marie Claire will give him time to fix the construction on his parachute before shooting his layout, or if they'll just photoshop out the ragged edges and puckered seaming? When Heidi called tops and bottoms I was sure his was going to be on the bottom. Shows how much I know about "fashion." As soon as Heidi declared it got high marks, I fast forwarded through to the next outfit, because I didn't want my brain to explode from trying to make sense of how the judges were managing to find praise for it.

Also dunno how Downer Taylor Swift's boring but fine outfit was on the bottom when they gave that sparkly pink mess a pass. I'm not sure how bedazzling a basketball jersey is a twist on a "classic" look.

• Love 6

Blake's dress looked like something you could use to smuggle in the European migrants.  I didn't like Kelly's look at all.  The plastic looking inserts made the top look cheap.  And what woman wants her hips to be exaggerated?  Not one I know.  Well, if you have to jump out of a plane, you could wear his dress.  New silhouette, my ass.  There's nothing new about a parachute.  

I didn't mind Joe's look, but are big peplums still in?   Didn't like Lindsey's jacket with the dress.  They just didn't go together.  I liked Ashley's look a lot.  It's something any woman could wear.  I also liked Laurie's outfit.  But in no way was it Mary Kay.

Jake's dress was awful.  Way too short, regardless of who's wearing it.  Dangerous look is an understatement.  Actually, the dress looked like the stuff the models on Price is Right wear.  You certainly can't sit in that dress.  On other seasons, judges have called out designers for outfits that were too sexy.  

I didn't like the fit of Amanda's dress on the top.  It just didn't look finished.  

Swapnil, what can I say. He's so talented, but like Jake's, I thought it was too short and I thought the back straps looked too much like a gladiator would wear.  Did not like Merline's outfit.  Didn't like the jacket/coat at all.  Gabrielle's look?  Don't like it at all.  What was Gabrielle's comment that she just doesn't cut anymore?  Did that make sense to anyone?  She looked a little pissed and defensive with the judges.  And to admit you didn't like your dress?  How dumb was that?

Ok, what about Candice's design shouts Mary Kay or did I miss something and they're not talking about Mary Kay cosmetics?  Absolutely nothing.  I've been to more than my share of MK parties, and not one dressed like that.  To me, the dress looked like a dominatrix and not a Mary Kay salesperson. I did like the jacket on her outfit.

Loved the fabric of Edmond's jacket.  So modern.

Heidi always has a simp look on her face during the runway.  Kind of a smirk and a smile.  

No way should Blake have won.  I guess Nina from "Mar Clar" got the winning vote.  And I'm sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, there's only so much you can do with design that's new or fresh.  There's a finite number of looks one can do, especially since fashion has been here since the beginning of cavewomen wearing deer skins.  I'm sick and tired of the judges saying they want new and modern, when the stuff they do are ALWAYS based on other things, and rarely, if ever, do you see big name designers doing anything really new, and when they do, to me, it looks like things my dog horked up.   I mean, how many times do you hear designers say they based their shows on this former thing or that era of fashion?

A bit off topic, but what the hell is going on with a Rachel Zoe talk show?  I'm sorry, but I have no desire to see that emaciated woman doing a talk show.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 6

Delurking with more contempt for Blake's win. Candice's and Swapnil's looks weren't "perfect," either, but they were much closer to it than Blake's bullshit. That thing wasn't just a hot mess, it was, to quote Auntie Mame, "An offense to the human eyesight."

• Love 7

I've got a special place in my heart for PR. Hmm, not sure about a 15 year old judge. One of the designers looked pissed while Kiernan was speaking. Haha. But Keirnan was right! Anyway.. Love Candice, but every time she's on screen, my brain keeps thinking "wow, she looks just like someone I've seen in movies." Maybe Parker Posey, if she was styled WAY different. I don't know, but it's bugging me!

• Love 4

WTF is wrong with a designer who can (apparently) sew but is flummoxed because she broke the serger--or the serger isn't working.  Most home sewers didn't have access to sergers until 20 years ago or so.  Still, we sewed with knits: t-shirts, swimsuits, dresses, pants, etc.  One could make beautiful garments and not even need that zig-zag stitch.  These people!   Are no REAL designers with REAL talent applying for this show anymore?

• Love 2

I was really pleased to see Kiernan Shipka as a judge because that girl is always on point. I realize she has a stylist like most celebrities, but she approves what goes on her body, and she always, and I do mean always, looks age appropriate, event appropriate, and stylish while still fashion forward. She really has it together, bless her.

• Love 15
I had no idea who this child was, but she wasn't all that bad.

Phoenix 780, she's Kiernan Shipka who played Don Draper's daughter on "Mad Men," from the beginning (2007) when she was almost eight years old to the end of the series.  She has blossomed into a beautiful teenager.  I think she's a pretty good actress.  Time will tell.

• Love 1
If Tim Gunn uses his save in the next few weeks, there could be 11 designers showing at fashion week. That's ridiculous.

If Tim uses his "save" at any time on BLAKE, I'll call shenanigans!   After that, I expect Tim to resign and announce that he's taking his career in a different direction.

Just WHO is the Mary Kay girl anyway?   Mary Kay had better get off her late butt and present the persona to the general publiic.  Do not...DO NOT leave it up to marginal designers and irrational judges to tell us.    

• Love 2

I've decided Blake {UGH--can't stand him} is the love child of Santino and Austin Scarlett.

I've also decided that I'm just too damn old for this show {shakes head as I delete this show from my dvr schedule}

Edited by One More Time
  • Love 2

Izabella, a serger is a machine that binds the seams of knit wear to prevent raveling.

And because it stitches the seam and binds the edges in one go, it's speedier than a regular sewing machine, even for woven fabrics, but it also has some sort of adaptation of the mechanism that allows for the stretchiness of knits.

Kiernan Shipka has been praised a lot (especially by critics like Tom & Lorenzo) for her fashion sense, and her comments showed that she isn't just a mannequin for stylists to "do", and I really liked her impulse to kindness towards the PR designers.

• Love 5

I would have swapped out Jake for Lindsey in the bottom three.  A sequined micromini with a number on it, wha-wha-what?  I also would have swapped Laurie for Blake in the top three.

Blake’s dress looked like someone in a cocktail dress decided to go base jumping off of a building in New York.  That’s the connection I found to the New York inspiration.  I suspect for the Marie Claire version they will use very different material.  And, of course, have it sewn much better. 

Just wanted to remind everyone of some of the brilliant descriptions of Blake’s outfit from this forum:

The colors of Blake's dress didn't compliment each other, the seams were puckering where the royal blue and navy were joined, and the dress was fugly.  It looked like the model got stuck in a parachute and pinned it up in the back so she could walk.  

Blake's poorly sewn tortured parachute won?

Blake's dress looked like a black and blue termite - that "design" was idiotic.  

The only part of New York that Blake referenced was a deflated Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon.

Blake really did win for that slapped-together foolishness.  I was surprised none of the judges thought it looked like what I thought it did--a huge deflated blue scrotal sac tacked on the back of a badly made dress. 

The only way in which that monstrosity was remniscent of NYC was if Blake was trying to capture the look of a homeless woman squatting in a large contractor bag.

And now this week, he puts that parachute monstrosity down the runway and they love it? . . .  Not to mention all the puckering and the fact that it literally does look like she's dragging a parachute behind her. It's unflattering, looks uncomfortable to wear… it's ugly… so naturally it wins.

Blake who is your Mary Kay woman that you created this dress for?

Well she's young and wanted a black dress that could go from work to evening by adding a big necklace.  At the party she attended she sat on a big blue beanbag chair which deflated and got stuck on her ponytail.  No worries for our girl though!  She just acted like she meant for that to happen and struts out with a "new look" right into the pages of Marie Claire.

Again, how would someone sit in that mess without looking like a deflated Christmas inflatable thingy you see on a suburban lawn?  

It's fashion (supposedly). You're not supposed to sit.

After further reflection, I think it looked like the back half of a royal blue (shades of the '80s) diaper.

• Love 14

Blake's fabric thing (because I don't want to call it an outfit) reminded me of a beetle with its carapace slumped around the legs.  I don't understand how it won, at all.

I was rather confused by something Nina said to Gabrielle.  She said the dress was an awkward length, and it hit at the knee.  Is that a bad thing?  It didn't seem to be in reference to the length of the dress combined with the jacket, but maybe I missed something.

I still love Kelly.

• Love 1

Poor Swapnil, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Candace's was good too, considering the time frame, and for them to lose to Blake's poorly made mess?   

I am praying to the fashion gods that Swapnil, like Jay McCarroll before him, will sail right through to the end and win it all. I love him. He's very witty, in his personality and his fashion--his quirky nod to the LBD was clever and he (like Jay!) seems to know how to play the production. He is also great at styling his models. 

I clearly am not on point with the group today. I did not care for Candice's design and I love a peplum. Probably because peplums are very flattering on me lol.

I do agree, though, that Kiernan Shipka was a pretty darn good judge and kind to those in the bottom. She showed maturity that Nina "vagina" Garcia could only dream of. And I'm guessing the drinking game word this season that will have us one step from rehab is "mumsy." ::::rolls eyes::::

I adored wearing peplums back in the day, when I was young and slim. I had a tiny waist and even though I was pear shaped, I didn't care. I loved how a peplum emphasized the waist to hip ratio even more. shrug. kinda crazy I guess, but I love them.

I adored Kiernan Shipka as a judge. So tactful and diplomatic for one so young. It was really refreshing!  

My hands down favorite this week was Kelly's outfit. No way that should have been safe. It was chic, original, and well made.

I love Kelly beyond all reason. She just makes me smile. I didn't think she was long for this but I'm willing to concede that I was wrong. She's a lot more knowledgeable than she seemed up front, she knows when things are going south, and she knows how to fix them. She understands her fabrics (cough Gabby cough) and she's unfazed by what the others do. She does Kelly, and I LOVE her for it. 

Blake just did a cheap knockoff of his "jellyfish" dresses he showed on road to the runway. Ashley's was cute but it was another version of her winning look from a few episodes ago. sigh. that's what happens when no one has any time to come up with an idea and/or execute. 

I like Lindsey's outfit. it had its problems but I liked the slim black and white outfit and the red swing coat. And I love her snark. Her comment about Blake not being adorable if he either couldn't tell time or was pretending he couldn't tell time was right on the money. My other love is Candice. I like how positive she is and  how excited she gets about each challenge. 

• Love 4
I feel like they keep Amanda around because of her TH's and the drama of her uncertainty about her place in the show.

I'm hoping they saved her just to torture her some more.  If they're setting her up for a redemption edit, I'm going to need my fast forward button a lot more.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

The idea that they decided to give the win based on the fact he took a risk, but made an ugly and completely unwearable dress, scares me a bit. I get the promise of the dress, but it looked horrible and puckered up front and the billowing back was poorly constructed as well and was hanging weird, yet still bunching up looking like a parachute wedgie. It was weird…and they thought it was attached to her pony tail…and the neckline was horrible because of the blood and he used a necklace to cover it up (way to think on your feet, but…) However…I could see it being a cool dress IF it was made well and IF the back weren't quite so voluminous and IF he chose different colors. So I guess we judge based on what it could have been and not what we saw? So the girl who made the two piece thing with the orangey jacket COULD have won if the jacket had been more of a swing jacket and she had chosen different fabric and was more cutting edge, etc. I think they should stick to what is presented to them. Judging what it could be isn't fair to the designers who actually put something decent out on the runway.

• Love 2

I did love both the "scuba section" & "vegan leather" from Mood. Just the terms cracked me up.

Not too long ago I needed a new big purse for travel, a purse/tote and found one which was advertised as 'vegan leather'. Back in the day (say, 2 years or so ago) it was called pleather or, more simply, fake leather.

This is not a new concept, though the scuba section in Mood is pretty damn funny; for all those home sewer divers? (and yes, I sew and I dive but...)

• Love 5

This is not a new concept, though the scuba section in Mood is pretty damn funny; for all those home sewer divers? (and yes, I sew and I dive but...)

Well, as a diver and a watcher of this show, you must have noticed that neoprene is IN IN IN.  Not that I disagree that it's funny for a NYC store - are all these neoprene users going to be scubadiving in the Meadowlands or something?

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

njbchlover: Kiernan Shipka was very sweet.  I wasn't sure what she would contribute as a guest judge, but she seemed very respectful of the designers and didn't criticize too much.

Those designers should have been falling all over Kiernan Shipka. She is a fierce fashionista who can dress any woman under the table. It’s always a delight to see what she’ll wear because she’s not afraid of color, print, texture or architectural cuts and she’ll bring an unsung brand out on to a red carpet. She was wearing Delpozo about a year before anyone else. Mark my words, she’ll be one of the best dressed at the Emmys… again.

As for the winner? Well, Blake’s was innovative, but very poorly constructed, and Candice’s was very well constructed but not very innovative. I thought Swapnil’s dress was great in the front but tacky from the back. For me it was down to Ashley and Kelly (both were safe), and I think I would have chosen Kelly’s outfit. Ashley’s dress definitely said Mary Kay, but not necessarily New York (those two things don’t go together anyway). Though the Project Runway judges will never admit it, streetwear is very New York. It’s arguably the style of fashion America is most known for. Kelly’s was both innovative and mostly well constructed (the collar definitely had issues), and she knows how to accessorize - even from that wall.

• Love 5

The funny thing is, Mary Kay the brand may not say New York, but they specialize in muted skintone-specific I'm not wearing makeup makeup, and that's very much what women in New York wear, if they wear makeup at all. What they can't do is runway makeup, which nobody would be caught dead in an alley wearing.

• Love 2

Love Candice, but every time she's on screen, my brain keeps thinking "wow, she looks just like someone I've seen in movies." Maybe Parker Posey, if she was styled WAY different. I don't know, but it's bugging me!

Me, too.  She reminds me a little bit of the actress who played Emily Prentiss on Criminal Minds (Paget Brewster) , but also of the ballet girl in Center Stage who was very talented but quit, Maureen I think was her character's name (Susan May Pratt).  But I keep thinking there's someone else, too. 

• Love 1

So for YEARS, posters here and before on TWOP have begged for two-day challenges.  So what do we get?  Even shorter challenges.  The results are even more poorly conceived, poorly constructed garments.  I don't get it, and it just makes me frustrated to watch.

The only reason Blake won with that hideous dress is because 1) it wasn't black and 2) the judges were sending a message that they will reward those who step outside the box.  They want different over safe, even if it is silly looking and poorly constructed.  If the designers who are floundering get the message, I don't think Blake will make it to the end. 

I also think Blake is truly stupid and isn't pretending.  His simpering is beyond annoying.

Swapnil is so talented and kind.  I hope he, Kelly, Candice, and Laurie are the final four. 

Love Candice, but every time she's on screen, my brain keeps thinking "wow, she looks just like someone I've seen in movies." Maybe Parker Posey, if she was styled WAY different. I don't know, but it's bugging me!

The haircut and eyebrows are pure Romulan.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 9

Those designers should have been falling all over Kiernan Shipka. She is a fierce fashionista who can dress any woman under the table. It’s always a delight to see what she’ll wear because she’s not afraid of color, print, texture or architectural cuts and she’ll bring an unsung brand out on to a red carpet. She was wearing Delpozo about a year before anyone else. Mark my words, she’ll be one of the best dressed at the Emmys… again.

As for the winner? Well, Blake’s was innovative, but very poorly constructed, and Candice’s was very well constructed but not very innovative. I thought Swapnil’s dress was great in the front but tacky from the back. For me it was down to Ashley and Kelly (both were safe), and I think I would have chosen Kelly’s outfit. Ashley’s dress definitely said Mary Kay, but not necessarily New York (those two things don’t go together anyway). Though the Project Runway judges will never admit it, streetwear is very New York. It’s arguably the style of fashion America is most known for. Kelly’s was both innovative and mostly well constructed (the collar definitely had issues), and she knows how to accessorize - even from that wall.

I actually really liked Kelly's.  It made me think of the dress someone made of the New York skyline for a Rockettes challenge.  Chris someone, maybe?  The one who looked like Michael Costello? 

• Love 5

This is a challenge they needed Michael Kors to judge.  He would not have let Blake's unfinished edges go without notice, and it would have been a joy to listen to. 

"She's pooping fabric!"

The haircut and eyebrows are pure Romulan.

Yes!  That's what it is!

• Love 5

Nina needs to go, y'all. I mean her expiration date is long past, do not pass go, do not collect $200, don't let the door hit her in the arse on the way out, but just GTFO, now. (Thanks for letting me vent).

Blakegate: I didn't think the dress was SO innovative that the horrendously horrible awful construction should have been given a pass. We've seen people sent home for construction that poor. It's not an idea show; it's idea, construction, styling, just as it always has been. Granted, the styling has come more to the forefront in the past few seasons, but I kind of agree with it, at least from the standpoint of: you can't be a designer if you don't know who is your girl and what she looks like and wears. Also, the whole lie about blood on the neckline was very off putting; when they showed it without the necklace under the blare of runway lights, there was no blood, just ragged, unfinished shite. I, too, am worried they are trying to create another Christian. Blake does not have the talent, grace, sense of humour or humanity of Christian, and the producers need to stop this crap right now.

Amanda is my next least favourite. She has been perpetually in the bottom, but has the nerve to talk about Candice??? Saying she's all style, with mediocre talent?? She cannot go soon enough for me. I'd prefer her to leave before Joseph, Jake and Blake, even. We'll be stuck with Blake for a while, though, so might as well all hunker down and ride it out.

Swapnil's was more innovative to me than Blake's, by far. Yes, it was too short, but I thought it looked "kind of new" - knowing there IS nothing new under the sun - and he did at least follow the challenge brief. Candice's was okay for me. It was beautifully made and I like her so much as person, at least what I've seen so far, that I wouldn't have been unhappy if she had won.

Ashley is kind of disappointing me after her initial win, so I'm a little fearful for her.

I was so good to see Swatch. And yes, these designers do not seem to know much about fabrics, except for Swapnil and maybe Candice and Ashley. No surprise there, though.

Re: the Mary Kay woman. I have no idea who she is supposed to be in the 2010s. My mom, who I loved more than my own life itself, was a Mary Kay woman in the 1970s. They had their little parties, to which they wore their expensive double knit pantsuits, their faux turquoise jewelry, which was baffingly more expensive than the real Indian made stuff, and their varying shade of blonde bouffant hairdos. So, for me, that will always be Mary Kay, but I didn't even know it was still around until it resurfaced on PR a few years ago.

I also think about the Mary Kay "arc" from my favourite comic strip, Bloom County. So the other side of it for me is the animal testing. Maybe they need to do more than just sponsor PR so we can figure out who is the modern Mary Kay woman...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 5

Me, too.  She reminds me a little bit of the actress who played Emily Prentiss on Criminal Minds (Paget Brewster) , but also of the ballet girl in Center Stage who was very talented but quit, Maureen I think was her character's name (Susan May Pratt).  But I keep thinking there's someone else, too.

Yes! The girl from Center Stage, too. Candice is certainly very striking.

• Love 1

I don't get any of this.  The judges tell Lindsay that her outfit looks like it came from a flea market.  YET, that winning bag lady look actually WON last week.  

Blake's look was not only ridiculous, the construction was horrific.  Did the judges not see the butcher job on the neckline.  

Edmund's team effort last week was shameful but his look this week was gorgeous and looked impeccably constructed.  I thought the judges were whacked last season but this season is shaping up far worse.  As one of the designers said this week, "I don't know what the judges are looking for anymore."  I don't either unless they are just looking for crap. 

At least the right person went home.  

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 5

TRACY, ON 28 AUG 2015 - 12:58 PM, SAID:

Kitty Redstone: The haircut and eyebrows are pure Romulan.

Ha! I’d say a Romulan that fell in love with 80’s Patrick Nagel prints.

• Love 5

Swapnil is the best of the top three. He may have won if his garment was not in black. To Nina Garcia, black is not editorial.

I assumed that Blake would be in the bottom three. No way did I believe that he would win.

• Love 4

Swapnil is the best of the top three. He may have won if his garment was not in black. To Nina Garcia, black is not editorial.

I assumed that Blake would be in the bottom three. No way did I believe that he would win.

Based on what I recall from other seasons, designers need to internalize that "editorial" means color, not black, for sure.

• Love 2

Based on what I recall from other seasons, designers need to internalize that "editorial" means color, not black, for sure.

Unless you're Helen. In which case, black sheath evening dresses are the totally most fashion-forward thing ever.

• Love 4

Unless you're Helen. In which case, black sheath evening dresses are the totally most fashion-forward thing ever.

Oh my stars, Helen.  Clearly I tried to erase her from my memory.  Did she get a spread in the magazine?  That makes me a very sad panda.

• Love 3

After thinking about this episode a bit more, I think that the judges and producers are trying too hard to seem relevant. By emphasizin cutting edge it's like they want people to think that PR is a leader in the fashion industry, which no. I agree with others who stated that the judges think Blake may be the next Christian Sirano. Although I really miss him, I think Michael Kors was wise to leave the show. I do like Zac, but after his endorsement of Blake's dress this episode, he is losing points with me. Heidi's taste and preferences are known by all of us (i.e. she saved Jake from being in the bottom). And Nina seems to be just trying to stay relevant. I know that I am being really critical of the judges, but they also have made many questionable decisions these last few seasons. I guess that I really shouldn't be surprised that Blake won this week after all.

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 3

I am so obviously a 'lady who does lunch' in my dreams.  My winner -- Joseph!  Second, Candace.  Third Swapnil (who got robbed last week).

And on the cusp -- Kelly -- I'm not street hip and my 43 year old tuchus doesn't need to be in stretch pants and hoop earrings, but I think she's got a great eye.

The sequined basketball jersey was my big loser, but Blake wasn't far off -- those seems -- yikes!  And the dress didn't fit against the body (could a tall individual next to her look down her back and see her bloomers?)  Back to the seems -- yuck.

• Love 1

I liked Swapnil's dress - It had almost  a "floaty" look. (I could never wear it but I thought it was perfect).  I did like Candice's look too.  BUT BLAKE WON???  In what universe - I thought it was poorly made and ugly.  

Some other random thoughts:

Does anyone else thing that Kelly looks like Boy George?

So a sequined sports jersey means New York? Who knew.

Since they've' cut the work time from two days to one day to 8-9 hours, maybe next week they will give the designers one hour to create a red carpet ready dress using string, duct tape, and confetti. Oh, and it must scream elegant.  Ready, set, go!

• Love 9

I forgot to add this to my earlier rant:

Lindsay's (? - that's her name, right?) two piece outfit, without the jacket, looked almost like something for which Helen got the win in her season...

Which means, of course, it's neither cutting edge or fashionable, but still, the look has gone from amazing to blah in just two seasons.

I definitely want some of what the judges are drinking/smoking/eating...

• Love 3

The judges love Aube. Aube was Edmond's model the first week when he dressed her in a tube dress with a train tacked on -- and they put him in the top and praised him out of all proportion. Here she is again. When Blake was fitting her and he wondered if the judges would like sideboob, she was all, "They're gonna love it." She's right. They love HER.

• Love 3

Maybe instead of the Tim Gunn save, they should give him the Tim Gunn AUF...when the judges announce that somebody like Blake has won, he could step up and say, "Nope..not gonna happen." And send him home, to boot! 

I can actually see Blake being in the top because that dress was innovative, but the winner? No way. And personally, he is just so annoying. 

Totally agree with the auf, though. Still a couple of bottom feeders to get rid of before we can really see who the strong competitors are going to be. Swapnil is definitely one of them, if he can reign himself in, and Ashley also. I loved her dress tonight, though it wasn't unique. I'm not a fashionista, so i would rather see a well made lovely dress than an innovative piece of crap that would have to be completely remade before you could walk outside the door in it..but that's just me.

• Love 15

This challenge made no sense. Put your own twist on an iconic fashion staple, drawing inspiration from the NYC skyline, but also somehow embody the "Mary Kay woman"? The producers and judges must be hitting the same crack pipe.

Who exactly is the Mary Kay woman? To me, Mary Kay conjures up images of Shirley Maclaine who is now well past her prime. In other words, I think of an older, more matronly clientele who hosted suburban Tupperware parties four decades ago where makeup may have also been shilled. I'm surprised the MK brand has lasted into the new millennium. Mary Kay in no way translates into modern, chic or New York. In fact, if you're designing for the Mary Kay woman "mumsy" would be the desired aesthetic. (So no pleather jackets or jellyfish contraptions).

Speaking of makeup, why must so much time be spent showing the styling of the models? All that could be trimmed down to thirty seconds, tops. I understand there is some co-sponsorship involved but it seems kind of irrelevant and a waste of time that could be spent showing more of the design process or contestants interacting.

• Love 3
I wonder is Marie Claire will give him time to fix the construction on his parachute before shooting his layout,

Oh, I'll bet "top cutters and seamstresses" will be called in to remake that mess into something fitting for Marie Claire.  No one will recognize Blake's creation.  Two magazine spreads for the twerp.  TWO!!  

Speaking of makeup, why must so much time be spent showing the styling of the models? All that could be trimmed down to thirty seconds, tops. I understand there is some co-sponsorship involved but it seems kind of irrelevant and a waste of time that could be spent showing more of the design process or contestants interacting.

Project Runway has become a 45-minute commercial for Sally Beauty and Mary Kay...with some added moments by people the producers have decided are talented designers.

• Love 3

If you have a good photographer, though, who knows how to light the set and how to use the photo software, you can get good photos of black clothes. And Swapnil's had plenty of light hitting the ruffles to show shading and variation. I'd rather see something in black than Blake's dress in any color or than a dress in his royal blue fabric, which looked like the fabric of a bridesmaid dress I wore in 1987. At least the dress didn't have a big bow on the butt, I guess.

• Love 2