Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Actually (sorry!) there’s a documentary called Lularich about the the MLM Lularoe. That’s a different company from lululemon. Judging from the comments, an awful lot of people also didn’t realize there was a difference. Both had serious issues, but they were two very different companies. 

Ah, thanks.  I was traveling when I made the post and didn't have time to look into it further.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, Popples said:

I'm genuinely impressed you were able to escape the song "Old Town Road"; I was continuously bombarded by it against my will.

I generally choose to listen to radio stations which didn't play it.  But I know OF Lil Nas X, so I did get the GrubHub commercials with him and Elton John.  Unlike the Simone Biles ones where I had no idea who the guy was.

• Love 2
On 10/3/2021 at 4:18 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just saw the Elton John/Lil Nas X Uber eats commercial, I shouldn't have to know the back story to figure out the commercial, and that one didn't sell the product.   

It's one of those "if you know who is in it, it sells the product better" things.  Most people watching, at least those in the desired demographic, know who Lil Nas X is.  I find the two commercials with him and Elton John to be amusing, but nowhere near as good as the Mark Hamill/Patrick Stewart ones.  Because sci fi stuff is in my wheelhouse.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's one of those "if you know who is in it, it sells the product better" things.  Most people watching, at least those in the desired demographic, know who Lil Nas X is.  I find the two commercials with him and Elton John to be amusing, but nowhere near as good as the Mark Hamill/Patrick Stewart ones.  Because sci fi stuff is in my wheelhouse.

I guess that's why they're doing "cross generation" ads (John/X; Hamill/Stewart), to appeal to all demographics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Ancient Rome-ish setting. Two women are sword fighting, for some reason. In flowing robes that could snag on things, for some reason. One winces in pain so the other stops fighting and offers her some arthritis cream, instead of pressing the advantage, for some reason. The other applies the stuff, is healed or whatever, and they resume fighting. That's the whole thing. Zero context or attempt at a narrative. 

Xena, Topical Analgesic Distributer? 

• LOL 9
10 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Ancient Rome-ish setting. Two women are sword fighting, for some reason. In flowing robes that could snag on things, for some reason. One winces in pain so the other stops fighting and offers her some arthritis cream, instead of pressing the advantage, for some reason. The other applies the stuff, is healed or whatever, and they resume fighting. That's the whole thing. Zero context or attempt at a narrative. 

Xena, Topical Analgesic Distributer? 

There was an earlier one with two guys fighting in the middle of an underlit urban street, with one of them a dead ringer for Jason Statham. Same deal. One of them stops to give the other whatever the product is while they're fighting. I know Jason Statham wouldn't be hawking arthritis cream but because I was diverted by the prospect of it I still can't remember what the stuff was.

Raising too many questions about the ad that are not related to the product = fail.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, proserpina65 said:

Most people watching, at least those in the desired demographic, know who Lil Nas X is.

In 2019, I was visiting family in the UK, and my 7-year old granddaughter knew the song and sung it a lot! 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What is it about bras with underwires that they require more time and patience than other kinds of bras?  I do not understand that comment in the commercial at all.

Right? "I don't have the time and patience for underwire bras."  Time? You just hook it like you do any other bra.

• Love 7

The only thing I can figure is she removes the wires before washing the bras and then replaces them after the bras are dry. THAT would take up more time than a regular, no-wire bra, but I can't think of anything else that would. And who would DO that?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What is it about bras with underwires that they require more time and patience than other kinds of bras?  I do not understand that comment in the commercial at all.

I totally agree. It's not "time" but comfort that's the issue. Like @peacheslatour said, you hook it up exactly like any other bra.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

An underwire needs to be fitted correctly or the little bastard will spend the day annoying you as much as an inanimate object can. The need for hand washing is the only other thing I can think of. If I can't chuck it into the washer with the cotton pajamas and t-shirts, I ain't buying a bra that will be an expensive, rib-stabbing torture device.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

The need for hand washing is the only other thing I can think of.

I wash all my bras in these little "cages" that I got from BB&B. I don't think that even underwires (which I have had many of) should need any more delicate care than that.

31 minutes ago, ABay said:

How nice it must be to have the option of wearing a bra without the support of underwire.

I'm big breasted, but have found some non-underwire that are way more comfy than underwires, and I don't feel like they make me "droopy"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think that every time I see that stupid commercial.  My underwire bras get no special treatment and there is nothing that takes extra time and attention.  I don't understand why ad people can't look at their commercials with a critical eye and eliminate the obvious logical fallacies.  I know, I know, that is the very least of their concerns.

• Love 4

All I can think of is that she washes her bras with a lot of other stuff and the wires get bent in the process, so she has to spend her morning twisting the wires so they fit properly?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, GaT said:

Why do the people in Dovato commercials smile like they're deranged serial killers?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Zuqt/dovato-more-to-me-alphonso

When I see this ad all I can focus on his jaw which is even bigger and broader in the cartoon version of him.  The  I think about how cats who get FIV as kittens grow larger jaws and wonder if that is what happened to Morgan.  I need more important things to think about.  

• LOL 3

Can someone please explain what's going on in the Humira commercial with the two women doing a podcast in a garage? Or are they filming something for their YouTube channel? It confuses me because there's a big "on the air" sign, which would imply that they're broadcasting on the radio.

Also, I hate the part at the end where the one woman poorly pantomimes taking a bite of her burger on a brioche bun.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right? "I don't have the time and patience for underwire bras."  Time? You just hook it like you do any other bra.

I do find myself constantly readjusting the damn things trying to find a comfortable spot, though, so maybe that's what she means?  (Part of why I don't wear underwire bras anymore.)

On 10/8/2021 at 6:43 PM, dleighg said:

I'm big breasted, but have found some non-underwire that are way more comfy than underwires, and I don't feel like they make me "droopy"

Me, too.

55 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Can someone please explain what's going on in the Humira commercial with the two women doing a podcast in a garage? Or are they filming something for their YouTube channel? It confuses me because there's a big "on the air" sign, which would imply that they're broadcasting on the radio.

Also, I hate the part at the end where the one woman poorly pantomimes taking a bite of her burger on a brioche bun.

Reminds me a bit of when my brother was a teenager and had a "radio station" in our shed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, PamPamPam said:

What are the lyrics after "sweating?"  

Hubs and I have listened to it a thousand times and can't figure it out.  Closed captioning says "your next year to the loo," which make no sense. 

You are a glutton for punishment!

12 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

Hubs and I have listened to it a thousand times and can't figure it out.  Closed captioning says "your next year to the loo," which make no sense. 

It's "next trip to the loo".

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

The cringeworthiest commercial yet, unless you want to count the ones about vaginas.  I'm waiting for the adtards to come up with an excuse to say, "Penis, penis, penis" like they're breaking through social norms and talking about actual penises instead of the "ED" and "Peyronies Disease" cucumber and other vegetable ads.

9 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

The cringeworthiest commercial yet, unless you want to count the ones about vaginas.  I'm waiting for the adtards to come up with an excuse to say, "Penis, penis, penis" like they're breaking through social norms and talking about actual penises instead of the "ED" and "Peyronies Disease" cucumber and other vegetable ads.

image.png.d6bce1c1b77e2ce3773cd5d97b437c62.png

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm waiting for the adtards to come up with an excuse to say, "Penis, penis, penis" like they're breaking through social norms and talking about actual penises instead of the "ED" and "Peyronies Disease" cucumber and other vegetable ads.

That makes me think of the SNL Penis Song.  The song is at the end but it's worth the 4 minute journey to get there.

Totally different topic, but- am I the only one who doesn't understand the 'Better Bedder' ad? It's some kind of stretchy wide band that you put around your mattress sides, that (supposedly) you just stuff both your fitted and flat sheets into. Does this make sense? Why wouldn't you just go and buy a nice set of sheets that has a wide elasticized bottom on the fitted one? I have 2 AirBnB's, and we use Sam's Club 600 thread count all cotton ones that have not only the wide elastic all around, but also have elasticized ruching on each corner; honestly, other than maybe lifting the one end of the mattress to get the fitted sheet started, the bed practically makes itself. 

Also wouldn't it be hard to pull the flat sheet out of this band when you want to get into bed, and wouldn't it be extremely wrinkled? That's not what I want to see (not in my BnB's, anyway).

And I'm wondering how someone who can't get a fitted sheet on a bed can get that band on it? And it'll have to be washed, so you'll have to keep pulling it off and on.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Totally different topic, but- am I the only one who doesn't understand the 'Better Bedder' ad? It's some kind of stretchy wide band that you put around your mattress sides, that (supposedly) you just stuff both your fitted and flat sheets into. Does this make sense? Why wouldn't you just go and buy a nice set of sheets that has a wide elasticized bottom on the fitted one? I have 2 AirBnB's, and we use Sam's Club 600 thread count all cotton ones that have not only the wide elastic all around, but also have elasticized ruching on each corner; honestly, other than maybe lifting the one end of the mattress to get the fitted sheet started, the bed practically makes itself. 

Also wouldn't it be hard to pull the flat sheet out of this band when you want to get into bed, and wouldn't it be extremely wrinkled? That's not what I want to see (not in my BnB's, anyway).

And I'm wondering how someone who can't get a fitted sheet on a bed can get that band on it? And it'll have to be washed, so you'll have to keep pulling it off and on.

I guess the ability to make hospital corners has gone the way of cursive handwriting?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

The Better Bedder was on Shark Tank a while back, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the sharks were going so crazy about it. The one that the inventors eventually made a deal with was almost acting like it was the greatest product she'd ever seen.

39 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

The one that the inventors eventually made a deal with was almost acting like it was the greatest product she'd ever seen.

Yeah, Lori Grenier is shown on their website endorsing it. I'm guessing it's been a while since she made a bed🙄

• Love 1

On 10/9/2021 at 6:39 AM, Browncoat said:

Those must be pretty crappy bras, then.  I wash my underwire bras with other stuff, and have never had to retwist any wires.  I should probably get a delicates bag for them, but so far so good!

The only time I use a delicates bag is for something like the belt from my dressing gown so it doesn't end up tangling the entire load into one ginormous bundle.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:06 AM, mmecorday said:

What I don't get is why they pronounce it "Humera" when it's spelled "Humira."

• Love 3
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

guess the ability to make hospital corners has gone the way of cursive handwriting?

I’m 55 years old and I still can’t do hospital corners to save my life.(I can, however, write in cursive.)

• LOL 5

ThriveMarket home delivery:  "Do you think homosexuals are too expensive?  So do we."

Apparently they're saying home essentials, but that's not what my admittedly distracted brain heard.

• LOL 17
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

ThriveMarket home delivery:  "Do you think homosexuals are too expensive?  So do we."

Apparently they're saying home essentials, but that's not what my admittedly distracted brain heard.

I keep hearing an ad for meat-proof underwear.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The ads say buy stuff you need from us and improve your credit score. How?

fingerhut is marketed to people who basically don't have credit. You buy something and then pay for it month by month (prob. at a high interest rate). I think that's the gist of it at least.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

fingerhut is marketed to people who basically don't have credit. You buy something and then pay for it month by month (prob. at a high interest rate). I think that's the gist of it at least.

This is it exactly.  It's a way to build credit if your history is too bad for even the lowest limit credit card/loan.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

This is it exactly.  It's a way to build credit if your history is too bad for even the lowest limit credit card/loan.

I know quite a few people that thought using Fingerhut would build their credit, but ended up worse off than before.  Over buying, not paying on time, and ending up in collections.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2