Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 7/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, mmecorday said:

I thought for something to be milk, it technically has to come from a mammary gland.

There is milk of magnesia. 🙂

And the milk of human kindness.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:
On 7/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, mmecorday said:

I thought for something to be milk, it technically has to come from a mammary gland.

There is milk of magnesia. 🙂

And the milk of human kindness.

Has apple butter flown under the radar all these years?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

It IS July, isn't it? Some of these Medicare ads are promoting checking your coverage for the new year of 2021 and now Ashley furniture stores are advertising Black Friday sales.  I've gotten used to the Balsam Xmas tree ads in July, but Black Friday? New year?

3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I keep hearing an ad on the radio for one of those "no interest until year...." and it ends with "and you don't have to pay until 2021!"

Wow, what a deal!

Well 2020-2021 has been a lost year.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Gharlane said:

What is the woman with the weird voice saying something about not wanting coffee made in a bag?

Bank.  That's Rosamund Pike and she's talking about Capital One cafes.  

Edited by Haleth
14 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

As kids we used to dance in the street behind the mosquito-spraying truck, didn't seem to hurt us.

Those trucks sprayed DDT, which was banned in the early '70s as a carcinogen.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The new Orkin commercial is just bizarre. And should the Bug Lady be spraying poison in the baby's room anyway? 

Idk about Orkin, but a lot of the products they use now are safe around children and animals once they dry.  (I'm having the ant man come kill the carpenter ants at my house, and that's what everyone from whom I got an estimate said.)

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Idk about Orkin, but a lot of the products they use now are safe around children and animals once they dry.  (I'm having the ant man come kill the carpenter ants at my house, and that's what everyone from whom I got an estimate said.)

We have a contract with Terminix for ants - I had them spray indoors in the kitchen a few weeks ago. The tech said the treatment is safe for my cat once dry -  a few minutes.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Don't you love just comedienne Amy Schumer's Time To Tampax commercial?  (Neither do I.)  The young woman Amy saves from being Tampax-less by offering her five different boxes is weird.  Does she carry a small suitcase full of Tampax boxes around with her?  Even more "Say What?" is the gal ordering one for today and one for tomorrow.  OK then, you use one super per day?

Every time I see that commercial, I’m reminded of a story from Jerry Della Famina’s book, “From Those Wonderful Folks Who Brought You Pearl Harbor.” It’s about advertising in the 1960s. His team was asked to brainstorm new uses for tampons (?!) The top idea was torchlights for very, very small people. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, Pj3422 said:

Every time I see that commercial, I’m reminded of a story from Jerry Della Famina’s book, “From Those Wonderful Folks Who Brought You Pearl Harbor.” It’s about advertising in the 1960s. His team was asked to brainstorm new uses for tampons (?!) The top idea was torchlights for very, very small people. 

There was a commercial years ago where a young couple are sitting in a boat on a lake.  Suddenly they look down and water is bubbling up between them.  Will they be able to row back to shore before they get wet?  Suddenly the woman gets an idea and opens her purse, pops out a tampon and holds it up as she unwraps it.  Sticking it in the hole, the water stops and they smile at each other, apparently under the impression that there's no longer any hurry to cut their boat ride short.

• LOL 8
On 7/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Do you live in Wisconsin? They used to not let yellow margarine in the state.

In law school, we spent a long time reading about how the Dairy Lobby was so powerful, they got Congress to outlaw the sale of yellow margarine.  I was fascinated because my mother had told me that she used to buy margarine that was an unappetizing white, like Crisco, and it came with a little packet of yellow dye that had to be stirred in.  She said it took a lot of whipping to get the color even.  (Margarine was thought to be healthier than butter, so I guess the dedicated chef did what was necessary and stirred in the yellow dye.  Yikes.)

I don't think people have any idea how much our lives are influenced by lobbyists with bottomless pockets making "campaign contributions" so that politicians will enact or block certain legislation favorable to the lobbyists' employers.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Fortunately, the delivery guy leaves the pizza and leaves, but what if he had been a criminal and ran through the house and found the idiot sitting in the bathtub?

I had the same thought. And I would bet quite a bit of $ that a woman would not have come up with that particular scenario.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The dude in the bath tub with the mask on is a guy that breaks in and robs places.  A criminal.  If someone breaks into his place and steals something while he is the bathtub, good.  He had it coming.

But the point is, why would anyone--criminal or not--be using a gadget to unlock a front door while they're in the freaking bathtub?  I guess I don't understand why anyone would want that gadget.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Why would a guy wear a ski mask over his head, in his own house, in his bath tub?

Because he's Robbert Larson, self-described burglar and con man. Rob, larceny Corny as all get out.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So this dude is in the bathtub with his Simplisafe gadget, he sees a pizza delivery guy and unlocks the door.  Fortunately, the delivery guy leaves the pizza and leaves, but what if he had been a criminal and ran through the house and found the idiot sitting in the bathtub?  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/omu3/simplisafe-video-doorbell-pro-pizza-delivery

Then we wouldn't have to see him in any future commercials.  That's a win for all of us. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So this dude is in the bathtub with his Simplisafe gadget, he sees a pizza delivery guy and unlocks the door.  Fortunately, the delivery guy leaves the pizza and leaves, but what if he had been a criminal and ran through the house and found the idiot sitting in the bathtub?  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/omu3/simplisafe-video-doorbell-pro-pizza-delivery

I cannot get past thinking about the texture of that (possibly wet) ski cap and his mustache. Yuck.

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 2

What's up with this company, hdis I think, that makes a big deal out of sending adult diapers to you in unmarked packages so you don't have to be embarrassed to buy them at the store? Doesn't Amazon do the same thing?

My husband has wondered if the Lively flip phone with the just hit the red button if you need help ever has to fire clients because they hit the button too often.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

My husband has wondered if the Lively flip phone with the just hit the red button if you need help ever has to fire clients because they hit the button too often.

I suspect they get people hitting the button just to talk to somebody.  I'd guess they are trained to deal with that (or at least I hope so).

• Love 3

For the fun of it, I looked up that "the bladder control aisle - you won't have to go there anymore" company. Confession: I use incontinence pads. This company charges the same for one package as Amazon does for THREE.  It's WAY cheaper to get 'em via Amazon. The box, of course, isn't unmarked - it's got the AMAZON logo on it.  hahaha. 

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For the fun of it, I looked up that "the bladder control aisle - you won't have to go there anymore" company. Confession: I use incontinence pads. This company charges the same for one package as Amazon does for THREE.  It's WAY cheaper to get 'em via Amazon. The box, of course, isn't unmarked - it's got the AMAZON logo on it.  hahaha. 

What a rip-off! The pandemic has made me Amazon's bitch. It's my go to place. So that ad is counting on older folks who use the product to not understand they can get it elsewhere, and as it turns out, cheaper.

• Love 8
On 8/10/2021 at 3:42 PM, icemiser69 said:

Why does it look like this woman is in an outhouse, multi-tasking?

On a side note, I am not going to be putting anything on my privates.  I bath regularly.

Maybe she's applying Lume to her <whispers> "private parts" while she does the commercial.  Her ass stinks because she lives in a place without plumbing.

The commercial leads me to the question, why would a board certified OB/GYN say "private parts" and feel the need to whisper it? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The commercial leads me to the question, why would a board certified OB/GYN say "private parts" and feel the need to whisper it? 

I had my first cataract surgery recently. I had a phone appointment for prep instructions with a nurse a week prior, including having to bathe with a certain soap that kills bacteria. The nurse told me not to use the soap on my "private parts" which totally cracked me up. My husband opined that they were using language they were sure everyone would understand. Perhaps some don't understand or know what genitalia means? In terms of the ad, perhaps they were trying not to offend. 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What's up with this company, hdis I think, that makes a big deal out of sending adult diapers to you in unmarked packages so you don't have to be embarrassed to buy them at the store? Doesn't Amazon do the same thing?

That commercial pre-dates Amazon, possibly the Internet. I'm surprised they still play it, for the reasons you all stated.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2021 at 8:34 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Nosebleeds!  Stuff two up your nostrils to stop nosebleeds!

That's what my high school gym teacher did if someone had a nosebleed.  It works.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, icemiser69 said:

The dude in the bathtub with the mask on is a guy that breaks in and robs places.  A criminal.  That is why he is wearing a mask.  If someone breaks into his place and steals something while he is the bathtub, good.  He had it coming.

Retired criminal, according to those commercials.  Not sure that makes a difference, though.

13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hell, I just buy them from Walmart.  I don't care if people see it or not.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, icemiser69 said:

Why does it look like this woman is in an outhouse, multi-tasking?

On a side note, I am not going to be putting anything on my privates.  I bath regularly.

Clearly you are not a celebrity.

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"Private parts" refers to more than just genitalia.  Or am I naive to think assholes aren't genitalia?

My boobs are private, too...

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it just me in my crotchety old age or has the Snuggle bear gotten even more annoying? Did they change the voice actor or something?

YES!  Snuggle bear has always irritated me, but it is a different voice actor and it's even more annoying that it used to be.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it just me in my crotchety old age or has the Snuggle bear gotten even more annoying? Did they change the voice actor or something?

Yes, his voice is different.   I think it's an even higher pitch.  Plus when he squeals "we're trending!" I want to punch him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Has anyone seen the Harrelson's Own commercials? It's a CBD oral spray created by Woody Harrelson's brother, Brett. I see it a lot on the Buzzr channel (I love old game shows).

Anyway, I am reasonably sure that the people in the commercial are just actors playing parts. One of them is "Jackie, at home mom". The "head-scratcher" about this commercial is that she is clearly wearing a wig (see what I did there? 😉). I want to know why? To hide her true identity? To make her look more "mom-ish" for the commercial? I don't know why it's so intriguing to me, but I have even Googled "Why is Jackie in the Harrelson's Own commercial wearing a wig?" Shockingly, no results. 😂

• Useful 1
On 8/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, Zahdii said:

There was a commercial years ago where a young couple are sitting in a boat on a lake.  Suddenly they look down and water is bubbling up between them.  Will they be able to row back to shore before they get wet?  Suddenly the woman gets an idea and opens her purse, pops out a tampon and holds it up as she unwraps it.  Sticking it in the hole, the water stops and they smile at each other, apparently under the impression that there's no longer any hurry to cut their boat ride short.

Please tell me you made this up.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2021 at 9:25 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

"Private parts" refers to more than just genitalia.  Or am I naive to think assholes aren't genitalia?

It seems like half the ads today somehow involve "private parts", front and rear, problems "down there" ads to menstrual products, from toilet paper ads to exercise bike ads.  The other half have Shaq in them. Now all we need is Shaq doing menstrual ads to complete the circle.

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

I thought they retired the Snuggles Bear decades ago. 🤔