Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 1/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, bosawks said:

Ugh, the no gas,  no squeegee guy is back.

Get out of the bay so someone else can get gas, you selfish prick!

16 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes!  He's so smug about putting a few pennies worth of gas in the tank.  Sorry, guy, you are still a jerk.

Here's what I don't get.  The jerk's already used the squeegee.  Why doesn't he just get in his no-gas car and drive away instead of arguing with the owner?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Perhaps there is a longer version of the commercial? Maybe she gets to do something like *thought bubble* "Why don't they like my waffles?"

Reminds me of that old coffee commercial with the woman whose coffee is terrible, apparently. "That's funny. My husband never asks for a second cup of coffee at home."

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Reminds me of that old coffee commercial with the woman whose coffee is terrible, apparently. "That's funny. My husband never asks for a second cup of coffee at home."

Speaking of sexist old commercials, remember "ring around the collar"? And the dude/MIL/neighbor would always look accusingly at the wife.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

All housecleaning and housekeeping women in all commercials wear a plain gold band on their left hand ring finger.  Except for college girls who look like high school girls doing laundry in the laundry room of their apartment, or two gals sharing their underwear folding task at the Laundromat.

11 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe the "ring" was really a noose.

Some may say the wedding ring is a noose.

• Love 3
On 1/14/2022 at 9:24 PM, Blergh said:

Possibly but she also could be  a visiting platonic family friend who stayed overnight or the family cook/nanny even if the family doesn't insist on her wearing a uniform first thing in the morning. That's all.

I tend to assume people in commercials like this are part of the family.  I generally don't think all the deeply about them, to be honest.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:47 AM, chessiegal said:

IMO, the gas station owner is the jerk. Talk about poor customer service. It's not costing him anything to let the guy use the squeegee. I'd never get gas from him ever and let the world know what a jerk he is.

The gas station owner is there to sell gas.  Taking up space with your electric/hybrid car just to use the squeegee is pretty crappy, imo.  Not that I've ever seen anyone do that, but it's a stupid commercial and makes electric/hybrid car owners look like jerks and idiots.

• Love 9
On 1/14/2022 at 1:50 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I know this is an old commercial, but I despise it.  It’s for Honey Nut Cheerios with the not thin woman wearing the awful red dress.  Why do they film her in the worst possible angle with her stomach protruding and her swayback?  Then, she shovels a huge spoonful of Cheerios into her mouth.  Why?  Doesn’t make me want to buy Cheerios. 

Are we sppsd to know who she is? I get the feeling I'm sppsd to know she's a bitch on a competitive cooking show or game show of some sort...

On 1/14/2022 at 12:11 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I’m annoyed by yet another yogurt commercial! A mom on, presumably, her own front porch with a cooler holding various Yoplait formats for her two kids. Why would you fill a cooler with a couple of yogurts when you are — again, presumably — 30 feet away from your own refrigerator? (I will add that this would probably not bug me if it were adults on the porch and the cooler was full of beer!)

I think I saw this one last night and had trouble initially parsing "YOPLAITIME" as "Yoplait I Me"...  🤔

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

If you have a "cartridge conniption" whenever you run out of printer ink, how will getting a drum of ink help, other than reduce the time between fits? 🤔

Because some of those printers actually monitor your usage and send a message to the company when you start to run low on ink.  They then send you new ink, so in theory you never run out.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Because some of those printers actually monitor your usage and send a message to the company when you start to run low on ink.  They then send you new ink, so in theory you never run out.

i got the impression they have a larger ink tank, not that they subscribe you to ink refills. 

32 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

i got the impression they have a larger ink tank, not that they subscribe you to ink refills. 

In that case, I have no idea.  I don't think I've seen that commercial, but I have been shopping for a new printer.  

I just saw one for some ED drug, but one of the sentences near the end of the ad said, "of ED", and when that was slurred together as it was in the ad, it sounded like "a VD", which confused me mightily for a second.

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's ALWAYS her fault he has a dirty neck.

Whenever one of those commercials came on, I was always thinking “Well, then, wash yer dirty ne-eck!”

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3
On 1/19/2022 at 5:33 AM, Gharlane said:

Are we sppsd to know who she is? I get the feeling I'm sppsd to know she's a bitch on a competitive cooking show or game show of some sort...

No I don't think you're supposed to know who she is specifically.  Her name is Meghan Murphy and she's an actress and plus size model I think.  Similar to not knowing who the drill sergeant is in the Cheerios commercial but simply recognizing the role they are playing and for her it's a harsh judge on a competition show. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

No I don't think you're supposed to know who she is specifically.  Her name is Meghan Murphy and she's an actress and plus size model I think.  Similar to not knowing who the drill sergeant is in the Cheerios commercial but simply recognizing the role they are playing and for her it's a harsh judge on a competition show.

I googled her. Her imdb bio makes her sound spectacular... until you scroll down and read that she wrote the bio.  LOL  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9542333/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

• LOL 11
On 1/19/2022 at 6:55 AM, Browncoat said:

In that case, I have no idea.  I don't think I've seen that commercial, but I have been shopping for a new printer.  

I just saw one for some ED drug, but one of the sentences near the end of the ad said, "of ED", and when that was slurred together as it was in the ad, it sounded like "a VD", which confused me mightily for a second.

Don't worry, algorithms mean you'll be seeing ads for these items soon.

• LOL 5
On 1/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of sexist old commercials, remember "ring around the collar"? And the dude/MIL/neighbor would always look accusingly at the wife.

And my favorite..."My wife...I think I'll keep her"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

And my favorite..."My wife...I think I'll keep her"

Considering that the  ad was for liquid Geritol which contains 12 percent alcohol (24 proof) and the leisure-suited clod said she 'took care of the baby' all day, he'd better have kept her even if she'd gotten a bit pickled! Let's hope she fed the baby formula instead of directly. 

Yeah, I'm sure her mother was so happy she grew up to be a looped and kept woman. 

• LOL 8

I kept seeing a commercial for some sort of moisturizing cream and one of the women appears to have a wide cold sore running from her ear and down her neck. What the heck? 😲

I'm not sure if there's a TV version yet, but I keep hearing this ad on the radio with a woman throwing a "money tree" into a wood chipper and dancing in it's shredded remains as it screams in pain. That's going to be quite a visual. 😏

I kept seeing a commercial for some sort of moisturizing cream and one of the women appears to have a wide cold sore running from her ear and down her neck. What the heck? 😲

I have seen this too and I think the woman had keloid scars.

• Love 3

So all these "go to your Skippy place" commercials. The adults are all dipping whatever they're eating directly into a brand new jar. And double dipping. Is this ad implying they're going to eat that whole jar in one sitting? This is their personal jar so the double-dipping isn't problematic? They're not eating it in one sitting, but they will eat it quickly enough that it won't turn into a petri dish from all the double-dipping?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

So all these "go to your Skippy place" commercials. The adults are all dipping whatever they're eating directly into a brand new jar. And double dipping. Is this ad implying they're going to eat that whole jar in one sitting? This is their personal jar so the double-dipping isn't problematic? They're not eating it in one sitting, but they will eat it quickly enough that it won't turn into a petri dish from all the double-dipping?

image.thumb.png.603be5f47d27f938d90aeba65986aae5.png

• LOL 3
23 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Hampton Inn Daddy-Daughter Time Commercial

Kind of cute.  Posting here for those who wish to view it.  Enjoy and discuss!

This one has been noted in the hated and loved categories. Let me complete the trifecta and comment here. Are there hotels that have reopened their breakfast buffets?  In the little travel I’ve done in the last couple years, they were either closed entirely, or prepackaged take-back-to-your-room only. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This one has been noted in the hated and loved categories. Let me complete the trifecta and comment here. Are there hotels that have reopened their breakfast buffets?  In the little travel I’ve done in the last couple years, they were either closed entirely, or prepackaged take-back-to-your-room only. 

Yes - breakfast in the lobby at Hampton Inn was open when we stayed there in December (New Orleans Garden District). It wasn't nearly as varied as when we stayed there before. It was the first time we stayed in a hotel in 3 years.

• Useful 4
On 2/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Are there hotels that have reopened their breakfast buffets?  In the little travel I’ve done in the last couple years, they were either closed entirely, or prepackaged take-back-to-your-room only. 

It's been my experience that it depends on where you're staying. I've been to one that had paper bags to be taken to your room, some with limited service (the waffle machine was replaced by waffles in little plastic bags), and a few with pre-pandemic service.

• Useful 2
On 1/24/2022 at 5:22 PM, dleighg said:

I saw the jimmie walker ad for the first time today, and all I can say that it is REALLY sad to see someone who hasn't been given a second though since he was, what, 20 years old? showing up as some old guy selling medicare insurance. I guess people will do most anything for a few bucks.

I haven't been paying attention to this commercial until now, but why is Jimmie giving a testimonial while wearing a cheap wig as a disguise? 🤔

• LOL 5

And it's a horrible version of "Like A Virgin" to boot. The on-board "entertainment" looks lame too. This is perhaps not the best time to launch a cruise line. Whenever I see that commercial, I think to myself, that's a lot of money to be spending on time stuck in a stateroom because everyone's in quarantine. Maybe this would be a more suitable jingle:

"COVID Boat soon will be making another run! COVID Boat promises sickness for everyone."

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought that at first but then realized it was for Virgin cruise line. 

also, I guess it's a "sexy" song, and this is a "no kids allowed" vacation. The sexiness of the ad is nowhere near that of whatever that couples vacation spot is where the man and woman make bedroom eyes throughout. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

also, I guess it's a "sexy" song, and this is a "no kids allowed" vacation. The sexiness of the ad is nowhere near that of whatever that couples vacation spot is where the man and woman make bedroom eyes throughout. 

You mean the one with the "surprise" reveal they're a married couple?

On 2/9/2022 at 9:36 AM, mmecorday said:

And it's a horrible version of "Like A Virgin" to boot.

I fear we're going to be hearing a lot more awful versions of songs with all these artists selling their back catalogue rights. There have already been a few Beatles songs mangled.

All three "safe drivers" in this Allstate ad bother me for different reasons.

The volcano project: I never did a volcano for a science project, so maybe I don't understand. But, I thought you add the lava when you get to the destination. It looks like she's not too safe with it seeping out of the top.

The mirror: Here's to hoping there's no potholes or speed bumps on the way to where they're going.

The wedding cake: All that time, I'm thinking, "Does the baker not have a delivery van?" Every insect on the way there is getting lodged into that cake.

Edited by InDueTime
Missing two words
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

All three "safe drivers" in this Allstate ad bother me for different reasons.

The volcano project: I never did a volcano for a science project, so maybe I don't understand. But, I thought you add the lava when you get to the destination. It looks like she's not too safe with seeping out the top.

The mirror: Here's to hoping there's no potholes or speed bumps on the way to where they're going.

The wedding cake: All that time, I'm thinking, "Does the baker not have a delivery van?" Every insect on the way there is getting lodged into that cake.

1. Right

2. Right 

3.And right.

They're stupid commercials.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Yes.  Insects, dirt, and anything else flying around in the air.  So gross.

• Love 3