Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Does anyone know if it's Anthony Anderson who played Det. Bernard on Law & Order.

I haven't seen the commercials, but yes, it's him:

Smirnoff Red, White & Berry is teaming up with actor, comedian, and game show host, Anthony Anderson, and some other special guests, to give away 2,021 of the best summers ever with epic trips and dream experiences as part of the brand's new summer-long "Smirnoff Summer of 2,021 Dreams" Promotion.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

thank you peaches and crazy. I always liked him in Law & Order.

Detective Cupcake?  LOL.  I was surprised to discover he actually "made his bones" as a comedian. He was excellent as Lupo's partner.  (What's Lupo doing lately, anyway?)

<...off to IMDB for research>

• Love 2
On 8/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, Leeds said:

Turkey Hill icecream.  That's just wrong and they need to create a subdivision with a more icecream-friendly name.

Their ice cream's really good, though.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, chessiegal said:

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but the ice cream commercial that bugs me is the one for Halo with the pudgy, unkempt guy who flexes his pecs while eating Halo ice cream. Just ugh. ATK did a taste test of ice creams, and said Halo was by far the worst. lol

That commercial is almost as terrible as the ice cream, which has the texture of chalk.  Yuck.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, chessiegal said:

Khloe looks like a cartoon character. Those lips are grotesque.

Her nails are terrifying.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Her nails are terrifying.

Kardashians are terrifying.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
On 8/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, chessiegal said:

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but the ice cream commercial that bugs me is the one for Halo with the pudgy, unkempt guy who flexes his pecs while eating Halo ice cream. Just ugh. ATK did a taste test of ice creams, and said Halo was by far the worst. lol

Who's ATK?

• Love 1

I have a question about the commercial for the Thumbtack service that helps you find services like Angi does. We have a woman getting her hair done saying she found her wedding planner on Thumbtack who found her these great fries she is eating. Okay, fine, your wedding planner goes above and beyond. But then she said she found all her vendors on Thumbtack. Isn't that what a wedding planner does? Find your vendors once they find out what you want? I have an acquaintance who started an online event planning business after helping her daughter plan her wedding. She finds out what people want, and then presents them with all the options to make the event happen. Her clients only have to deal with her, not multiple vendors. The woman in that commercial has a lousy wedding planner if she's doing the leg work on finding vendors.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Diary industry has to try to keep their market share, I guess.

Maybe they just need to start writing in their journal.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:57 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

As kids we used to dance in the street behind the mosquito-spraying truck, didn't seem to hurt us.

That's what you think . . .

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I can't imagine a DD woman trying to squeeze herself into an A cup bra.  Her cups would runneth over.  Plus, that doesn't even factor in band size.  Why wouldn't men's underwear have more or less room depending on luggage size? 

If it did, wouldn't all men claim to need the DDD, and then most of them would be walking around with extra fabric getting all scrunched up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a question about the commercial for the Thumbtack service that helps you find services like Angi does. We have a woman getting her hair done saying she found her wedding planner on Thumbtack who found her these great fries she is eating. Okay, fine, your wedding planner goes above and beyond. But then she said she found all her vendors on Thumbtack. Isn't that what a wedding planner does? Find your vendors once they find out what you want? I have an acquaintance who started an online event planning business after helping her daughter plan her wedding. She finds out what people want, and then presents them with all the options to make the event happen. Her clients only have to deal with her, not multiple vendors. The woman in that commercial has a lousy wedding planner if she's doing the leg work on finding vendors.

Obvious to me that French Fry Bride finds other vendors for different facets of her life, e.g., Home Improvement, Pets, Legal, Repair and Technical Support, etc.

20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Obvious to me that French Fry Bride finds other vendors for different facets of her life, e.g., Home Improvement, Pets, Legal, Repair and Technical Support, etc.

But she says, I found all these other great vendors for my wedding. That's the wedding planner's job.

Not necessarily? We arranged all our own vendors, but the venue recommended we consider having a wedding planner for week of or day of - to act more like a wrangler/stage manager, not find/do all the booked-in-advance stuff. Apparently that's very common? I didn't want to go that route but the ad makes sense to me knowing that's a thing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Not necessarily? We arranged all our own vendors, but the venue recommended we consider having a wedding planner for week of or day of - to act more like a wrangler/stage manager, not find/do all the booked-in-advance stuff. Apparently that's very common? I didn't want to go that route but the ad makes sense to me knowing that's a thing.

Exactly.  For instance, your wedding planner isn't going to choose your bridal shop vendor, or buy your invitations and write them and mail them out for you.  Some people may want to use a caterer that the wedding planner's vendor lists doesn't utilize.

• Love 3

What was that yogurt commercial from last decade featuring an Old World woman calling the women wearing swimsuits "filthy whores"?

On 9/11/2021 at 11:28 AM, chessiegal said:

I myself wondered why getting her some french fries made her a great wedding planner.

• Love 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:53 AM, icemiser69 said:

I keep seeing a commercial for men's underwear and instead of having the opening on the side where men can relieve themselves without pulling the top front of their underwear down to "get at the goods".  Instead, what I have seen is a horizontal opening just below the top of the underwear, like a kangaroo pouch.  One question, what is to stop "little joey" from popping his head through the top of that pouch? Some men bring "more to the table" while others have unfortunately gotten the "short end of the stick".  One size doesn't fit all.

God forbid a man would have to do what women do and actually pull his underwear down.

(Unless they need to poop, which always seems to take two hours or more.  Why is that?)

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but the oxo ad for “prep and go” reminds me of the cologard prep and prep for hiv. Both worthwhile things, but not what I want to think about for my food storage. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

CarShield: 5,000 to 150,000 miles.  So if you've got 160k miles, you can't get CarShield? WTH?  Buy a Honda and you won't need it. And I'm annoyed by Ice-T's friend... "CarShield saved my family and I thousands of dollars."  Good Spend the thousands on grammar lessons.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

CarShield: 5,000 to 150,000 miles.  So if you've got 160k miles, you can't get CarShield? WTH?  Buy a Honda and you won't need it. And I'm annoyed by Ice-T's friend... "CarShield saved my family and I thousands of dollars."  Good Spend the thousands on grammar lessons.

"Me and my family saved thousands of dollars" and "My family and me saved thousands of dollars" are the alternatives I believe you allude to; both are grammatically wrong.  Just "I" without the family would be grammatically incorrect as well.  It would have to be "CarShield saved me thousands of dollars" to be correct, but without the family.

20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

"Me and my family saved thousands of dollars" and "My family and me saved thousands of dollars" are the alternatives I believe you allude to; both are grammatically wrong.  Just "I" without the family would be grammatically incorrect as well.  It would have to be "CarShield saved me thousands of dollars" to be correct, but without the family.

Why would you think I'm alluding to even more bad grammar?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I really, really am wondering if I am the only one offended by the use of Janis Joplin’s voice and music to sell Dior perfume.

I’m guessing that as a Joplin fan, I’m supposed to be glad to hear her at all.

But. No.

I'm a fan as well but I'm not offended. There are so  many genuinely offensive commercials out there that this one is almost a breath of fresh air.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

The absolute worst was when Joplin's siblings sold Mercedes the right to use "Mercedez Benz" in a commercial, although they and others close to Janis said she'd have found humor in the satirical song being played as a testimonial.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The absolute worst was when Joplin's siblings sold Mercedes the right to use "Mercedez Benz" in a commercial, although they and others close to Janis said she'd have found humor in the satirical song being played as a testimonial.

She would have.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Why would you think I'm alluding to even more bad grammar?

Because you criticized the grammar used by Ice-T's friend, "CarShield saved my family and I thousands of dollars."  The sentence is grammatically correct so he doesn't need to spend his thousands on grammar lessons.

• LOL 2

It isn't grammatically correct. Correct grammar would be "saved my family and me" not "I". You wouldn't say "Carshield saved I". Or maybe you would but it wouldn't be grammatically correct.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 17

Break it down and you get "Car Shield saved my family thousands of dollars" and "Car Shield saved I thousands of dollars."  Should be "Car Shield saved my family and me thousands of dollars."

Jinx, @ABay!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 9
On 9/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I was taught back in the olden days that the way to tell if "me" or "I" was correct was to say it without the "my family and".  "CarShield saved I thousands of dollars..." You can tell instantly that that sounds wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

There's a Citibank credit card commercial with Jennifer Garner giving her spiel in front of a classroom (during what I assume is parent-teacher day). At one point, she uses a marker to draw a circle around a map of the world that's hanging in front of the class, but I cannot help but notice she's not really drawing anything; it's a post-production effect! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I've noticed a lot of perfume and cologne ads lately for both men and women.  Usually these show up around gift-giving holidays, and Mother's Day and Father's Day. I wonder what's up?  Are they doing such bad business they decided they need to run ads all year now?  (In my view these are the second worst types of ads, following Medicare ads of course.)

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The perfume ads are for Christmas and other holidays.   It's also why every magazine, and beauty catalogs are filled with perfume inserts.     

You mean the perfume ads aren't because they're trying to kill me? Okay. Good to know.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

You mean the perfume ads aren't because they're trying to kill me? Okay. Good to know.

When I get certain catalogs at home, mostly Ulta, this time of year, I've had up to five inserts.  The clashing perfune inserts are disgusting.     One nice thing about wearing a mask to department stores, or anywhere that sells perfume, is that I can walk through the perfume section without getting nauseous.    

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

That's what I say every time I see that Johnny Depp ad for Sauvage. He looks like he bathes two, maybe three times a year.

I know. What happened to him? I used to think he was the most gorgeous man in the world but now he looks like he smells of stale tobacco and cheap gin.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I know. What happened to him? I used to think he was the most gorgeous man in the world but now he looks like he smells of stale tobacco and cheap gin.

Decades of hard drinking and casual hard drug use has caught up with him.  

• Love 7

The newest Dior Sauvage 'Elixir' ads with Depp fascinate me: this old idiot in his rock star chains, bracelets and dirty denim 'shredding' his gee-tar out in Death Valley (I guess he trucked in a generator to power that giant wall of speakers) while a well-groomed wolf stalks around, obviously awed by Johnny's fierceness.😬

If they're trying to appeal to consumers who aspire to smell like giant douches, I guess they hit the right notes.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1