Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That's what I say every time I see that Johnny Depp ad for Sauvage. He looks like he bathes two, maybe three times a year.

The first time I saw that I thought it was a parody.  Come on, that can't be real, can it?  🤣

• LOL 7
On 9/27/2021 at 12:55 PM, mmecorday said:

That's what I say every time I see that Johnny Depp ad for Sauvage. He looks like he bathes two, maybe three times a year.

If that often.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

The first time I saw that I thought it was a parody.  Come on, that can't be real, can it?  🤣

That's what I thought the first time I saw the original Sauvage commercial - that it was mocking those stupid Matthew McConaughey Lincoln commercials.  It was pretty ridiculous, but the new on for Sauvage Elixir is possibly worse.  Although at least I can hope that the wolves eat him.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2021 at 8:29 AM, Dirtybubble said:

Ok so this is probably some underlying vag joke I'm not getting but WTF is with the turtle on the iRobot in the Phexxi Commercial ??  And the scooter?  She needs a scooter in there?  Or is just showcasing how cool her vag is??  This commercial doesn't offend me as much as it annoys me =(

If these symbolize something, I don't get it either. I think it's just that it's her domain, she has control, and she can have/do whatever she wants in there to have fun. It's supposed to be her vagina, but it's also supposed to be territory that is exclusively hers (not necessarily a vagina).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

But why is Lil Nas X a Marilyn Manson poseur?

even I, as someone who has a basically non-existent knowledge of that genre of music, KNOWS who he is. How could anyone miss Old Town Road?

ETA I was agreeing with the comment I quoted, just to make clear :) 

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

even I, as someone who has a basically non-existent knowledge of that genre of music, KNOWS who he is. How could anyone miss Old Town Road?

And that fairly recent wardrobe malfunction he had during some heavily choreographed show.
It was All Over Social Media and even in regular news.

• Love 1

Can someone explain this to me like I’m your mother who is trying to keep up but didn’t see the commercial in question. The original question was, who was that with Elton John? Someone answered, lil nas x, and someone else answered, a Marilyn Manson poseur.  So are you saying lil nas x is a MM poseur? Were there two different commercials? What am I missing?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Can someone explain this to me like I’m your mother who is trying to keep up but didn’t see the commercial in question. The original question was, who was that with Elton John? Someone answered, lil nas x, and someone else answered, a Marilyn Manson poseur.  So are you saying lil nas x is a MM poseur? Were there two different commercials? What am I missing?

It's Lil Nas X. I posted pics of both, someone said they both wear one blue contact lens. I don't really see it but what do I know?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

So are you saying lil nas x is a MM poseur? Were there two different commercials? What am I missing?

That's what one person is saying. Others are awaiting an explanation because we don't see it, and if he is, we are also missing something.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

That's what one person is saying. Others are awaiting an explanation because we don't see it, and if he is, we are also missing something.

My guess is they are comparing his blood shoes to Manson's antics.  But only the OP can say; @Gharlane, Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

• LOL 3
16 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never heard of the dude until this thread and then today, someone on FB posted a video of him singing Dolly's "Jolene."  (!?!)

I've seen the video and everyone was losing their minds over it. I didn't think it was all that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I never heard of the dude until this thread and then today, someone on FB posted a video of him singing Dolly's "Jolene."  (!?!)

I'm genuinely impressed you were able to escape the song "Old Town Road"; I was continuously bombarded by it against my will.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Popples said:

I'm genuinely impressed you were able to escape the song "Old Town Road"; I was continuously bombarded by it against my will.

I don't listen to current music. I have almost 6k mp3s (converted from my LPs) loaded up onto two Walkman mp3 players and that's all I listen to. Don't watch any TV with current music - the closest I get is in commercials.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't listen to current music. I have almost 6k mp3s (converted from my LPs) loaded up onto two Walkman mp3 players and that's all I listen to. Don't watch any TV with current music - the closest I get is in commercials.

I don't either, my favorite type of music is The Great American Songbook (Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, etc.), but it was played everywhere I went like in stores and it was in a Doritos commercial that aired during last year's Super Bowl.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I've seen the video and everyone was losing their minds over it. I didn't think it was all that.

I think people are losing their minds because Dolly said she liked it.

13 hours ago, Popples said:

I had to go look it up because people kept talking about it. I'm nit sure I've heard it otherwise. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Same here!  I never heard of him before.  What a strange convergence.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, janie jones said:

I had to go look it up because people kept talking about it. I'm nit sure I've heard it otherwise. 

Me, too. Don't watch Superbowl or anything else that featured it.  I was in Walgreen's on Tuesday for my booster shot, but the only other store I've been in since lockdown is the Publix Pharmacy to get my prescriptions.  I take "STAY HOME" seriously.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, Popples said:

I only heard it for the first time yesterday. It’s catchy. 

• Love 1

I only heard it on the Sam Elliot / Doritos commercial.    I really liked that commercial. 

I just saw the Elton John/Lil Nas X Uber eats commercial, I shouldn't have to know the back story to figure out the commercial, and that one didn't sell the product.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what is that commercial for lulamon? Its some guy catching a hummingbird and just weird stuff. What or who is lulamon? Like we are supposed to know this?

1 minute ago, margol29 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed before but what is that commercial for lulamon? Its some guy catching a hummingbird and just weird stuff. What or who is lulamon? Like we are supposed to know this?

I haven't seen the commercial, but I learned through mocking references in TV shows that lulemon (because of course there is no capital L in the brand name) is a high-priced fitness/casual clothing line.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I only heard it on the Sam Elliot / Doritos commercial.    I really liked that commercial. 

That's the only time I've heard it as well.  And it really didn't impress me, but I'm not a fan of most recent music and no pop music since the early 80s.  Yeah, I'm old.

However, because I do a bunch of trivia, I knew who he was.  The commercial is still weird, tho.

• Love 2

lululemon is also famous for see through Yoga pants.     That's the company where the founder (?) said overweight women shouldn't wear his Yoga pants.     They've had quite a few recalls for issues with products, and ended up in the news for statements by the founder, and control issues among the owners.    They've been trying to make their product more of a community, than just selling mens and women's products.   

I was also confused about the commercial, and don't understand why I'm going to buy their products from the commercial. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I'm scratching my head over the Cologuard commercial with the Cologuard box interacting with a table of four people in a restaurant.  They listen to his spiel and it ends with them clinking their glasses of suspiciously milky beverages and toasting "to screening!"

Who thought this was going to get me to race out and buy it?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2021 at 4:38 PM, janie jones said:

But why is Lil Nas X a Marilyn Manson poseur?

It's a double insult. Marilyn Manson is a poser who tries far too hard to be "edgy" and "shocking". Lil Nas wishes he were as "edgy" and "shocking" as MM. 

I once bought a toilet seat at Lowe's. It's plastic with METAL fittings. Those are very hard to find - I had to special order it.  When I went to pick it up, the guy who sold it to me said it was a very secure seat - those metal fitting do NOT come loose. That seat is so secure "I can dance on it..."   Perhaps if you had a seat like that when you took your Fleet enema...

• LOL 14
9 minutes ago, ABay said:

It's called Lulurich and is on Amazon Prime.

Actually (sorry!) there’s a documentary called Lularich about the the MLM Lularoe. That’s a different company from lululemon. Judging from the comments, an awful lot of people also didn’t realize there was a difference. Both had serious issues, but they were two very different companies. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Actually (sorry!) there’s a documentary called Lularich about the the MLM Lularoe. That’s a different company from lululemon. Judging from the comments, an awful lot of people also didn’t realize there was a difference. Both had serious issues, but they were two very different companies. 

6 minutes ago, ABay said:

Aha. Thanks for clearing that up, @SoMuchTV.

And now I’m feeling a little gaslighted. I was following the topic for that show, and now it’s disappeared from my home page. Anyone know what happened there? 

12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

And now I’m feeling a little gaslighted. I was following the topic for that show, and now it’s disappeared from my home page. Anyone know what happened there? 

Gone from mine too.  Maybe LulaNo couldn't take the heat... don't know why they would have pull here unless they threatened lawsuits...

• Useful 1