Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I guess you're a-noid by those ads.

Block GIF by Debby Ryan

🤣🤣

32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Back in the original Noid days, it took me forever to get the joke -- what the noid was -- until someone finally said "a Noid" instead of the noid.  Duh.

Filed under "things I learned today"... 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Block GIF by Debby Ryan

🤣🤣

Filed under "things I learned today"... 🤣

The interesting thing about the Noid is that the reason Domino's dropped it was that a guy with the last name Noid thought the commercials were making fun of him to he held the employees of a Domino's hostage until the police managed to arrest him.  He later committed suicide.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The interesting thing about the Noid is that the reason Domino's dropped it was that a guy with the last name Noid thought the commercials were making fun of him to he held the employees of a Domino's hostage until the police managed to arrest him.  He later committed suicide.

Bite My Tongue Wtf GIF by Doja Cat

• Love 3
On 8/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, peacheslatour said:

Is it just me in my crotchety old age or has the Snuggle bear gotten even more annoying?

I don't think he can get more annoying. I have always hated the stupid Snuggle Bear and now he that lady are having seizures together, I hate him even more.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I don't think he can get more annoying. I have always hated the stupid Snuggle Bear and now he that lady are having seizures together, I hate him even more.

When my husbands step father was alive he was deathly afraid of the snuggle bear ads..lol

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, Nicmar said:

When my husbands step father was alive he was deathly afraid of the snuggle bear ads..lol

So was my oldest son!  He used to run away from the TV when it came on.

• Love 2
On 8/13/2021 at 10:12 AM, chessiegal said:

I had my first cataract surgery recently. I had a phone appointment for prep instructions with a nurse a week prior, including having to bathe with a certain soap that kills bacteria. The nurse told me not to use the soap on my "private parts" which totally cracked me up. My husband opined that they were using language they were sure everyone would understand. Perhaps some don't understand or know what genitalia means? In terms of the ad, perhaps they were trying not to offend. 🤷‍♀️

I hope you're doing well now that your surgery is over.

I'm a nurse and the reason we had to tell people stuff like that is because, at some point, someone has done it already.  

I was an ER nurse for years and you wouldn't believe some of the terms I had to use with some people.  I was giving a man instructions to drink only clear liquids prior to his colonoscopy.  I thought I'd made it pretty clear until he asked me if vodka was okay since it's a clear liquid.  All I could think of was some drunk man reeling around after drinking a gallon of what is basically a nuclear laxative.  I told him no vodka and he should probably just stick to water.  I told the ER doctor about his question and he went into the man's room and used stronger terms to tell him why vodka would be a very bad idea in that situation. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

My late mom told me a story about when she visited my dad in the hospital for a WWII-related injury. He was in a ward with a bunch of other vets. A nurse came in and asked one of the guys if he'd had a BM today. The dude did NOT understand what she was asking, no matter how many times she repeated it.  One of the other vets jumped in the conversation saying, "Excuse the language, Ma'am.  Did you take a shit today?"  The nurse got her answer.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
On 8/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, GreekGeek said:

I like that her flip flops are decorated with faux pearls. I wonder if any guys owning small boats saw that commercial and bought a pack of Tampax Pearls in case of a "leaky boat" emergency. That could be the dumbest commercial I've ever seen.

• LOL 4

The song used in that Haagen Daaz commercial, "Beam me up, beam me up, beam me up, beam me uuuuuuuup......beam me down, beam me down, beam me down, beam me down, down, down" (or something like that) while people are freeze-framed spooning ice cream into their mouth has me confuzzled.

Am I the only one who does not understand the juxtaposition between the song and ice cream?

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ctlady said:

The song used in that Haagen Daaz commercial, "Beam me up, beam me up, beam me up, beam me uuuuuuuup......beam me down, beam me down, beam me down, beam me down, down, down" (or something like that) while people are freeze-framed spooning ice cream into their mouth has me confuzzled.

Am I the only one who does not understand the juxtaposition between the song and ice cream?

I don't get it either. But I do love Haagen Daas. Anyone remember the special edition (Christmas time) Amaretto ice cream they discontinued? So good. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I don't get it either. But I do love Haagen Daas. Anyone remember the special edition (Christmas time) Amaretto ice cream they discontinued? So good. 

In the last couple weeks my DH has been picking up a pint or two (or three, lol) of Haagen Dazs ice creams. I usually get coffee but he brought home an Amaretto, cherry and chocolate chip one that he really likes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/21/2021 at 12:34 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

My late mom told me a story about when she visited my dad in the hospital for a WWII-related injury. He was in a ward with a bunch of other vets. A nurse came in and asked one of the guys if he'd had a BM today. The dude did NOT understand what she was asking, no matter how many times she repeated it.  One of the other vets jumped in the conversation saying, "Excuse the language, Ma'am.  Did you take a shit today?"  The nurse got her answer.

When my dad was newly immigrated to the US, he was injured at work and had to stay overnight in the hospital. He spoke communicative English well enough, but had no freakin' clue what BM meant. He told me, decades later, that he just inferred from the nurse's demeanor that it was a thing they wanted of him, so he said yes, and she seemed happy. 

Now that I think of it, I think both our dads' scenarios might make for good commercials today, LOL. I would much rather see "real talk" instead of these commercials with "down there" or "private parts".

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

When my dad was newly immigrated to the US, he was injured at work and had to stay overnight in the hospital. He spoke communicative English well enough, but had no freakin' clue what BM meant. He told me, decades later, that he just inferred from the nurse's demeanor that it was a thing they wanted of him, so he said yes, and she seemed happy.

I remember when I went to have an appendectomy at age twelve, the first thing the nurse did after getting me in my room was to ask me questions off a form.  It included things like did I have a nickname, but also asked what I called "bodily functions."  Now I knew a lot of names for them, but I picked the ones I thought would be least embarrassing for a nurse, "number one" and "number two."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't know about the song, but there's one with a song from the 1970's with a girl wearing pink and eating strawberry ice cream in front of a convenience store freezer. Is she eating it without paying for it and why did she leave the freezer door wide open?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Turkey Hill icecream.  That's just wrong and they need to create a subdivision with a more icecream-friendly name.

That's not too bad. The one I will never, ever buy is a brand called Skinny Cow. I mean WTF?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The one I will never, ever buy is a brand called Skinny Cow. I mean WTF?

Yeah - I immediately think of Pharoh's dream that Joseph interpreted of '7 fat cows followed by 7 emaciated cows' which meant 7 years of plenty followed by 7 years of famine.  Nothing good about a 'skinny cow'.  You'd think the body positivity community would've been all over that brand by now demanding they change their name 🙄

• Love 3

I saw a commercial for Oscar Meyer Turkey lunch meat with  woman asleep on a big piece of bread and then all these layers of turkey meat fell on her like blankets. It doesn't make sense to me.🤪

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's not too bad. The one I will never, ever buy is a brand called Skinny Cow. I mean WTF?

There's also a brand of ice cream called Fat Boy - for which I have never seen a commercial. I imagine marketing could be something of an issue...

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

There's also a brand of ice cream called Fat Boy - for which I have never seen a commercial. I imagine marketing could be something of an issue...

I always wondered the same thing about Fatburger. But the place seems to do a brisk business. I guess dudes don't care about their looks as much.

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but the ice cream commercial that bugs me is the one for Halo with the pudgy, unkempt guy who flexes his pecs while eating Halo ice cream. Just ugh. ATK did a taste test of ice creams, and said Halo was by far the worst. lol

I like Skinny Cow products too.

• LOL 1

I know it was discussed during the Olympics, but I really don't understand the commercial for the migraine medicine Emgality.  It features swimmer Ryan Murphy saying he suffers from migraines.  The fact that he is appearing in a commercial for migraine medicine would then imply that he takes this medicine and it helps him.

Yet there is a clear disclaimer that says "Ryan Murphy does not take Emgality".  But this company is clearly hoping that potential customers will see this commercial and buy Emgality, because it helped Ryan Murphy and he has multiple Olympic medals.  I know the disclaimer is there, but many might not notice it.

So basically, this company is relying on pure deception to increase sales.  So strange.  Why wouldn't they just find a prominent athlete or actor who DOES take their medicine?  Whoopi Goldberg is currently the spokesperson for some kind of medicine, she seems very real and candid and down to earth.  Assuming there is no disclaimer, I would trust her when she says the medicine helps her.

I just don't understand why Emgality couldn't find someone who actually took their medicine and said it worked, without having to lie about it.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but the ice cream commercial that bugs me is the one for Halo with the pudgy, unkempt guy who flexes his pecs while eating Halo ice cream. Just ugh. ATK did a taste test of ice creams, and said Halo was by far the worst. lol

I like Skinny Cow products too.

Y'all must have forgotten the Little Baby's ads...

After this, every other ad is good.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, dleighg said:

can anyone explain to me the point of this? I mean, I get that this is some sort of gambling app. But am I supposed to know who this person is?

Same.  I don't know who that is, either.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, dleighg said:

can anyone explain to me the point of this? I mean, I get that this is some sort of gambling app. But am I supposed to know who this person is?

That's JB Smoove, he's an actor.  He's on "Curb Your Enthusiasm".  He was also in "Spider-Man: Far From Home", he plays the second teacher chaperone for the kids' trip to Europe.

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Y'all must have forgotten the Little Baby's ads...

After this, every other ad is good.

Whoever thought up this ad should really lose their job. Its just f'ed up and creepy! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Whoever thought up this ad should really lose their job. Its just f'ed up and creepy! 

It's not the only one. There's a series of 'em. It DOES make you wonder about the dreams that person must be having to come up with THAT during waking hours.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's not the only one. There's a series of 'em. It DOES make you wonder about the dreams that person must be having to come up with THAT during waking hours.

If I had to guess, based on personal experience, I'd say Chantix.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The gambling apps with Ty Pennington commercial makes me reach for the mute button.   

anything with Ty makes me turn the channel

why they think this guy who sounds like a hopped up idiot is someone to give a product a boost is beyond me

• Love 4

Seeing an ad lately for Smirnoff something in a can. I don't pay much attention and since I don't drink any alcoholic products, I don't know the difference between them nor do I want to. But anyway, the ad has an actor that looks and sounds so familiar. Does anyone know if it's Anthony Anderson who played Det. Bernard on Law & Order. The actor in the ad has a gap in his front upper teeth just like Mr. Anderson, a gap in the teeth is not so easy to change like a hair style or shaving or growing a beard.

13 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Seeing an ad lately for Smirnoff something in a can. I don't pay much attention and since I don't drink any alcoholic products, I don't know the difference between them nor do I want to. But anyway, the ad has an actor that looks and sounds so familiar. Does anyone know if it's Anthony Anderson who played Det. Bernard on Law & Order. The actor in the ad has a gap in his front upper teeth just like Mr. Anderson, a gap in the teeth is not so easy to change like a hair style or shaving or growing a beard.

Is he talking about getting a job where you rock a really nice track suit? If so, yes, that's him.

• Love 2