Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

"scratch my head" isn't quite the right description, but I find this ad "noticeable" because the "spokes-model" is distinctly unglamorous. She looks like she might-- OMG-- actually be a working engineer at this company. No false eyelashes, no discernible makeup, a "non-model" body shape. I find it rather depressing that it was very "noticeable" to me for exactly these reasons (as a female engineer who doesn't wear makeup and has a distinctly "non-model" body shape LOL). Just made me realize how much there is still a type for female spokes-people.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OqMO/vmware-welcome-change

• Love 6

I've never understood the bears in the Charmin commercials but this is just too weird to me!  Why is poppa bear telling scary stories of not having any toilet paper?  WTH?!  You're a BEAR!  Tell us about you eating a bunch of campers not having any toilet paper while taking a sh!t in the woods!

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 5/26/2021 at 2:39 PM, dleighg said:

"scratch my head" isn't quite the right description, but I find this ad "noticeable" because the "spokes-model" is distinctly unglamorous. She looks like she might-- OMG-- actually be a working engineer at this company. No false eyelashes, no discernible makeup, a "non-model" body shape. I find it rather depressing that it was very "noticeable" to me for exactly these reasons (as a female engineer who doesn't wear makeup and has a distinctly "non-model" body shape LOL). Just made me realize how much there is still a type for female spokes-people.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OqMO/vmware-welcome-change

This commercial was not at all what I was expecting based on this description of this person. I was expecting her to be advertising a product where sexiness was "necessary." I'd say the reason she's unglamorous is because they were looking for a spokesperson, not a spokesmodel. There are plenty of un-modellike women in commercials. They aren't in commercials selling glamour and beauty, but they advertise other products. If I'd seen this commercial before reading about it here first, I would have found their choice in the actress unremarkable. If she replaced Charlize Theron in the J'adore commercials, however...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'd say the reason she's unglamorous is because they were looking for a spokesperson, not a spokesmodel. There are plenty of un-modellike women in commercials.

I'd agree with this if she was identified as an actual employee. Caption: "Sarah Robinson, Senior Engineer." Then I'd give no thought at all to what she looked like. You see that ALL the time. But she's not identified, which implies to me that she was hired to be a spokesmodel. 

• Useful 1

The one that gets me right now is State Farm, where two people bring a friend to Jake's place, turns out they are twins.  They don't seem to have met before, but are thrilled to find each other.  I have questions.  They weren't raised together, so what happened?  I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled as they are at first.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lh25 said:

The one that gets me right now is State Farm, where two people bring a friend to Jake's place, turns out they are twins.  They don't seem to have met before, but are thrilled to find each other.  I have questions.  They weren't raised together, so what happened?  I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled as they are at first.

Another pointless SF with Jake commercial.  At least the twins aren't bestowing pizza or cuts of meat or hand-carved knobs on Jake.  Lame and weak.  Like another stupid commercial, State Farm is there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Another pointless SF with Jake commercial.  At least the twins aren't bestowing pizza or cuts of meat or hand-carved knobs on Jake.  Lame and weak.  Like another stupid commercial, State Farm is there.

Aw, I love the Parker one. ;-(

• Love 1

Little girl:  "Mommy!!!!  I can't find Mr. Cleggo!"

Dad: "Sssh.  Mommy's in your commode now."

Three or four listens later I realize Mommy is actually "in New York Patty mode now."

Still not sure about Mr. Cleggo, or who he is.

• LOL 5
(edited)
On 5/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

I don't understand why she's wearing that oversized shirt in that Expedia commercial.

I agree that it's an odd choice.  I think it's some sort of style nod to 90's fashion.  I think is that they were going for a quirky, preppy vibe.

I'm too unsophisticated about fashion to know whether 90's looks are already back in.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Leeds said:

Little girl:  "Mommy!!!!  I can't find Mr. Cleggo!"

Dad: "Sssh.  Mommy's in your commode now."

Three or four listens later I realize Mommy is actually "in New York Patty mode now."

Still not sure about Mr. Cleggo, or who he is.

Going by the ad, I'm going to say Mr. Cleggo is the stuffed monkey the mom handed the little girl.

Why the mom has Mr. Cleggo in the candy wrapper with her? That, I can't answer. 

• Love 2
On 5/24/2021 at 5:04 PM, dleighg said:

Going by this commercial and another one I saw advertising Expedia Travel Week (where the SAME poor, poor traveler wants to get out of her room but CAN'T! Because there is a moving sidewalk there for some reason!) I think it's safe to say Rashida Jones is the Expedia spokeswoman now.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Going by the ad, I'm going to say Mr. Cleggo is the stuffed monkey the mom handed the little girl.

Why the mom has Mr. Cleggo in the candy wrapper with her? That, I can't answer. 

I wasn't sure whether "Mr. Cleggo" was something else I was mishearing!

• LOL 3
On 6/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

While I think Headbands of Hope is a very laudable business, every time the owner, Jess Ekstrom says her name I always hear "dress extra" which of course, is a very different thing.

I mis-hear the Medicare commercial with the "gift bag" benefit.  I know it's supposed to be give back, but I always hear gift bag.

• LOL 3
6 minutes ago, RedElf said:

There's a AAA ad where a family is moving, and Dad picks up a box and the bottom falls out, and the teenaged daughter says "Dad?", and then picks up a photo from the pile.  It's of a rock band, and Dad says, "I was the lead singer."  The girl crumples the picture up and storms off.  Um, why?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ON5N/aaa-outsmart-life-packing-tape

Because the daughter is a total dork and she'll never be that cool?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Henceforth let it be known across the land: Shaquille O'Neal must forthwith be in every televised advertisement forever and ever. Amen."

Welp, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering that same thought...

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 6/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, peacheslatour said:

Did Congress pass some law that I'm unaware of? "Henceforth let it be known across the land: Shaquille O'Neal must forthwith be in every televised advertisement forever and ever. Amen."

Reminds me of that point where Peyton Manning was advertising everything under the sun. 

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Why do people even hire him at this point? It doesn't help brand recognition if he advertises everything. It's just distracting.

I agree, but  I wouldn't buy anything he was advertising anyway.  None of it (of the 6 things I see him advertise) is my cuppa.

• Love 5

Just watched a commercial where they encouraged you to call for more details.  The number was xxx-328-xxxx and the guy says, 'thirty-two, eight.'  I can see either 'three, two, eight' or 'three, twenty-eight' but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say numbers like that.

• Love 5

I know some may think I'm a total Neanderthal throwback but I don't get what the deal is with this new Mastercard True Name commercial. It claims that somehow one will get harassed, bullied, disrespected if one is trangendered via purchasing stuff with a  traditional credit card that displays one's actual name instead of the name 'one identifies with'. 

First  of all, it's been literally decades since I can recall any clerk even bothering to check to see what the name on my card is. I mean, all they seem to care about is that the card actually gets approved  so it can be used to purchase. . . whatever. Now, I'm a nonsmoker who hasn't bought booze in over a decade (and I  definitely look over 21) so that may be an issue for a booze or coffin nail buyer but I don't see how it could be for others.

Secondly, does ' the name one identifies with' mean the name one has legally changed to reflect one's legal changed  gender (which I don't see WHY there would be any problems obtaining a card under one's new legal identity)  OR does this mean that theoretically someone who is currently legally named Guinevere  could decide to be called Lancelot and they'd get a card even though this theoretical Guinevere hasn't actually had the name change  legally happen?

Also, I can't help but think that more than one fraud or scammer  could attempt to use this to claim a new identity but have no sincere  interest in anything remotely associated with LGBTQ issues. I   knew a woman that had a rather awkwardly feminized birth name ( I'll call her Robbye [with a silent e on the end not 'Rob-buy] Doe) whose own  credit got  totally trashed all because there was a guy out there named 'Robby [with no e] Doe' who  blew off countless loans and credit cards and, in spite of the fact that Ms. Doe had never even been once late with any payments or loans, the creditors totally tagged her with Mr. Doe's horrible history all because they overlooked the single letter  in their names and differing genders ( and they were completely unrelated total strangers) . Hence, I'm wondering what (if any) steps Master Card will  take to protect LGBTQ folks  and heterosexuals of conventional genders from  having this somehow boomerang on them via frauds and scammers who already are causing so many problems in this area. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It simply allows them to easily use their chosen first name, on the card and in communications with the company.  So they don't have to look at a name that isn't truly theirs every time they hand it over, don't have to be called by the wrong name when they call customer service, and don't have to risk dealing with a hostile clerk demanding ID because "You're not a David" (according to research, one third of nearly one-third of those who've used some sort of ID with a name or gender that doesn't match their presentation - which most trans people have had to do, given the complications and expense in changing one's legal first name - have been denied services, harassed, or even attacked).

Mastercard implemented it two years ago (during LGBT Pride Month 2019), and it has steadily expanded with additional banks signing on, including Citibank last fall.  (And I haven't heard about any additional security/identity theft issues created by this feature.)

This expansion, and it being Pride Month, is why we're seeing additional commercials.  I like them, because they're straightforward and feature transgender and non-binary actors.

• Love 10

Bastet,

For a clerk to not let someone purchase a perfectly legal item   and attempt to give a paying customer flak seems rather unprofessional - and harassment and physical attacks by anyone are illegal and should be prosecuted.   

I don't see why someone originally named Guinevere but currently calling themselves Lancelot (or vice versa) who hasn't (yet) gotten the name legally changed  can't get cash from an ATM and purchase whatever legal item they want via said cash  if they truly believe that they'd get flak and don't want to go to the trouble of having  unprofessional clerks reprimanded and/or prosecuted. 

Of course, even WITH these  cards having someone's True Name, what's to stop a clerk from asking someone (e.g. someone buying a bottle of wine but appearing under 21 despite being  25)  who hasn't yet legally changed their name to see their driver's licence, US Passport,etc. and if the government issued ID still has the  original name, doesn't that put the potential customer back to Square One?

While we may not  hear  about additional security/identity theft issues created by this feature (via scammers and frauds who would just consider this another means to exploit victims and couldn't care less about LGBTQ issues), that doesn't mean that it's impossible for them to be happening but that the participating corporations  (who likely hope that more LGBTQ potential customers would want to pay for the feature) may not want  to publicize them.

It might help if the companies actually mentioned any steps and measures they're taking to weed out as  many potential frauds as possible but I haven't heard of any measure but, of course, anyone who has heard of any would be welcome to mention it in this Subforum. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Blergh said:

For a clerk to not let someone purchase a perfectly legal item   and attempt to give a paying customer flak seems rather unprofessional - and harassment and physical attacks by anyone are illegal and should be prosecuted.   

Yes.  The commercials are not about what should happen in a society that isn't transphobic, but about how this one seemingly little thing can make a big difference for transgender people living in our real one, in which such abuses do happen and often without repercussion.

13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I don't see why someone originally named Guinevere but currently calling themselves Lancelot (or vice versa) who hasn't (yet) gotten the name legally changed  can't get cash from an ATM and purchase whatever legal item they want via said cash  if they truly believe that they'd get flak and don't want to go to the trouble of having  unprofessional clerks reprimanded and/or prosecuted. 

They can.  But they shouldn't have to; this is easier, and now it's an additional option available to them.

14 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Of course, even WITH these  cards having someone's True Name, what's to stop a clerk from asking someone (e.g. someone buying a bottle of wine but appearing under 21 despite being  25)  who hasn't yet legally changed their name to see their driver's licence, US Passport,etc. and if the government issued ID still has the  original name, doesn't that put the potential customer back to Square One?

Yes, that can still happen; age verification issues are separate, and not what this program is addressing.

16 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It might help if the companies actually mentioned any steps and measures they're taking to weed out as  many potential frauds as possible but I haven't heard of any measure but, of course, anyone who has heard of any would be welcome to mention it in this Subforum. 

I figure they're the same security measures implemented to protect all cardholders, but anyone who worries there are particular vulnerabilities could contact Mastercard or the issuing bank to discuss those concerns.  I would not expect that information to be included in the commercials.

• Love 3

I do not use my real name on the internet. I have a nom-de-net that I use - so much, I registered it with the county for $40 as a "dba," saying I use the name for selling crap on eBay without using my real name.  By showing the DBA registration to my credit union, that name has been added to my checking account. Telling Master Card it's my DBA, they issued a second card in that name. There are ways around displaying your birth name, until they ask for I.D.  It's legal, as long as you're not attempting fraud.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

OK, I concede that that the services may help some folks have things more convenient when purchasing things but I'm not entirely sure it's as vital as air to the clientele as the ads would claim. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I kept getting this etsy commercial repeatedly on Hulu. I was torn between putting it here and on the "Outright Enrage" thread, but I did not understand the father/ daughter interaction here at all. "Dad, you have a grandson now..." Seems kind of low-key for a birth announcement, but OK, whatever. But his response of, "Yes"... um, who does that! Not, "Oh wonderful!" or "Congratulations!" or "How are you doing?" Just "Yes"??? At first I thought maybe this wasn't her announcing the grandson's birth, but it seems like a pretty random reminder otherwise, and then him following up the "Yes" with "What's his name?" seems like it's news... Unless the guy has dementia? I'm so lost...

ETA: OK, I'm an idiot and now realize the "Yes/ What's his name?" was his interaction with the etsy seller rather than his daughter... but it took me literally a dozen times of seeing this commercial before realizing this, so... yeah, not the most well-constructed commercial, etsy.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I hate most of the Red Bull commercials. I don't think they're clever, I hate the animation style, plus just the thought of a super-caffeinated drink makes my heart pound.

Anyway, I "get" most of them, but I don't get the Rome one. The architect tells the emperor they'll be finished today, but when the emperor sees the workers still working on the unfinished Coliseum, he says, "They'll never finish it!" and the architect sheepishly admits they ran out of Red Bull. Why would he say they'll be finished today and two seconds later say they won't finish it? It's just dumb.  

• Love 3

Anyway, I "get" most of them, but I don't get the Rome one. The architect tells the emperor they'll be finished today, but when the emperor sees the workers still working on the unfinished Coliseum, he says, "They'll never finish it!" and the architect sheepishly admits they ran out of Red Bull. Why would he say they'll be finished today and two seconds later say they won't finish it? It's just dumb.  

I think the concept is a nod to the expression "Rome wasn't built in a day." But yeah, it's dumb and I hate Red Bull.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I think the concept is a nod to the expression "Rome wasn't built in a day." But yeah, it's dumb and I hate Red Bull.

Right, because the announcer even says that at the end. But why not have the character say, "We won't finish today because we ran out of Red Bull"? Then that leads to "So that's why they say Rome wasn't built in a day."

It's a stupid commercial that I've already thought too much about.  :-)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/26/2021 at 7:53 PM, Bastet said:

Yes, that can still happen; age verification issues are separate, and not what this program is addressing.

When I worked retail and occasionally was at the register, we had to ask for id anytime someone's card wasn't signed on the back.  Now that the customer swipes/inserts their own card, it's not so much of a problem anymore.

Hey, as long as it's legal and no one is attempting fraud, who really cares what name is on someone else's card?

On 6/26/2021 at 8:58 PM, Blergh said:

OK, I concede that that the services may help some folks have things more convenient when purchasing things but I'm not entirely sure it's as vital as air to the clientele as the ads would claim. 

Well, that could be said about most things advertised on tv.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Hey, as long as it's legal and no one is attempting fraud, who really cares what name is on someone else's card?

Back in the days of yore, 1980, Mt. St. Helens blew her stack. People were evacuated and most everybody got out but there was this one old guy named Harry Truman. Ol' Harry refused to leave, he may have chased state agents off with a shot gun. He never did leave and he perished. For some reason my mom thought this guy was great and for the rest of the summer she signed all of her credit card slips "Harry Truman". She never had a problem and no one ever said anything to her.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

The newest Peloton commercial, starts out with a female trainer saying, "This is what one hour of boot camp tastes like!"  Huh?  At first I thought she was saying 'food camp,' but that didn't make sense either.  Is the first quote correct?  Maybe I'm hearing it wrong.

• Love 3

The newest Peloton commercial, starts out with a female trainer saying, "This is what one hour of boot camp tastes like!"  Huh?  At first I thought she was saying 'food camp,' but that didn't make sense either.  Is the first quote correct?  Maybe I'm hearing it wrong.

No, I think you're hearing it right. This is the same commercial with the woman saying, "Welcome to Peloton outdoors." So joggers now need someone yelling at them while they're on a run? In my day we listened to our music on the Walkman while we ran and we liked it!*

*I've never been a runner and I never had an actual Walkman.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

*I've never been a runner and I never had an actual Walkman.

I still have a Walkman that I occasionally use.  Not while running, though.  I guess I need some Peloton asshole yelling at me to do that?

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

'Flamingo' bath products: Why are we being forced to watch Ashley Graham contorting herself in a bathtub, then seeing her pulled-off waxing strips (with embedded leg? hair), and for some reason shaving the tops of her feet?

I first thought she was faking a British accent, but maybe that's a voice-over. 

Also, while I'm grateful we didn't get more peekaboo shots of her various body parts, I have to observe that while she has a stunning face, gravity/age is taking a toll on her rolls of flab.

I know this commercial has been talked about before, and I'm surprised at what a long lifespan it has been having.... the one with the Allstate commercial and the guy singing a song that ends up being a duet with the hood ornament.

I don't understand anything at all about this commercial.  Why is he singing "let's make lots of money"?  Why does the hood ornament come to life?  How is any of this related to insurance apart from the fact that the guy is driving a car?  How does buying insurance make him lots of money?  I don't get it at all.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I know this commercial has been talked about before, and I'm surprised at what a long lifespan it has been having.... the one with the Allstate commercial and the guy singing a song that ends up being a duet with the hood ornament.

I don't understand anything at all about this commercial.  Why is he singing "let's make lots of money"?  Why does the hood ornament come to life?  How is any of this related to insurance apart from the fact that the guy is driving a car?  How does buying insurance make him lots of money?  I don't get it at all.

It just dawned on me after reading your post that it must be the insurance company who is saying "let's make lots of money" -- for themselves!  I don't know why the hood ornament creepily comes to life though.

• LOL 8
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Why is he singing "let's make lots of money"?  Why does the hood ornament come to life?  How is any of this related to insurance apart from the fact that the guy is driving a car?  How does buying insurance make him lots of money?  I don't get it at all.

The voiceover and text onscreen says drivers who switched to them save on average $700 a year. So they're implying that savings is "making (him) money". I assume the hood ornament is singing along to imply both he and his car are happy about his choice.

• Love 6