Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The thing that weirds me out the most about that commercial is hearing some of the music from Nightmare Before Christmas in it. 

Right? It's not enough that they violate Dickens, they have to drag Danny Elfman into it too. It sucks.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

The good old Kerrygold family is back. If I was one of the younger siblings, I’d be super pissed at having to wake up at 2:30 am to surprise my much older brother who probably never even gives me the time of day. Meh. Yay for your “first day”, bro. (Why no, I’m not projecting at all, why do you ask?) 

I have so many questions about that commercial, beginning with "How did they know when he'd get home?" and "What made them think he wouldn't be too tired when he got home from his new chef job?". 🤔

• Love 4

What's with the overweight Scrooge on the Peloton bike?  He looks NOTHING like Scrooge.

Not only that, the ad copy is written in rhyming couplets. Charles Dickens' story is written in prose. I think they confused Scrooge with the Grinch.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The thing that weirds me out the most about that commercial is hearing some of the music from Nightmare Before Christmas in it. 

And now there's a Fred Meyer ad that uses the theme song from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. That's right advertisers, keep using Gen X anthems. I'm sure everyone will love you for it. Not.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I have so many questions about that commercial, beginning with "How did they know when he'd get home?" and "What made them think he wouldn't be too tired when he got home from his new chef job?". 🤔

And why couldn’t they have their meal later in the day after everyone was rested? 

• Love 3
On 11/23/2021 at 12:59 AM, Annber03 said:

Becoming part of the Peloton zombie horde would be a nightmare.

5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Aww, I think it's sweet they waited up to eat together and hear about his first day.

Yeah, I could see doing it for his first day.  Not on a regular basis, though.

Edited by proserpina65
because "hoard" is an entirely different thing
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Seriously. He works in a restaurant. I worked a few restaurants in my younger days and we were always fed.

I don't think we're supposed to think about it this much.  They don't know us very well, do they?  lol

• LOL 6

"Hisamitsu".  It's the name of the pharmaceutical company that manufactures Salonpas (as the name is sung at the end, it also appears on screen).

Or, what Peaches said just before me.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'll do you one better.  Am I supposed to know the creepy blond dude singing about Martha Stewart's ridiculously overpriced TV dinners?

Martha Stewart has ridiculously overpriced TV dinners?  I hadn't been alerted by the media and looking at her Martha Stewart Kitchen website I'm a year behind:  the products came out in 2020 apparently.  Looked up the prices on the stores in my area through Instacart; yeah, overpriced!

The creepy blond dude is a rapper named Yung Gravy, whom I've never heard of and wish to miss out on in the future.

Yung Gravy x Martha Stewart Commercial on YouTube

• Love 3

There's a heart-tugging commercial for the Facebook Portal where a cute lesbian couple gives it as a gift to their parents for Christmas so they can get to know their new granddaughter (who looks about 6 or 7). The rest of the commercial is about the shy little girl gradually becoming comfortable enough with her grandmother to talk to her and call her "Grandma." But after the first scene, we only see one of the moms for the rest of the commercial. I keep asking myself what happened to the other half of the couple. Did they break-up? Is she out of town on a business trip? Is she in the Witness Relocation program and can't be seen on camera anymore? Is the little girl a Bad Seed who did something to her other mother?

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I saw a commercial for Popeyes featuring a family meal deal of some sort for the holidays, but why are they using a spork for those big side dishes? 

On 11/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

So am I supposed to recognize the white guy in the new Corona beer ads that Snoop also does, because I have no idea who he is.

I assumed he's a stoner musician friend of some sort and didn't want to know anything else.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

There's a heart-tugging commercial for the Facebook Portal where a cute lesbian couple gives it as a gift to their parents for Christmas so they can get to know their new granddaughter (who looks about 6 or 7). The rest of the commercial is about the shy little girl gradually becoming comfortable enough with her grandmother to talk to her and call her "Grandma." But after the first scene, we only see one of the moms for the rest of the commercial. I keep asking myself what happened to the other half of the couple. Did they break-up? Is she out of town on a business trip? Is she in the Witness Relocation program and can't be seen on camera anymore? Is the little girl a Bad Seed who did something to her other mother?

Wait, there was a lesbian couple? 

• Love 1
On 11/29/2021 at 1:03 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

So am I supposed to recognize the white guy in the new Corona beer ads that Snoop also does, because I have no idea who he is.

To paraphrase, if you have to ask then it is not for you.

Commercials are not for a universal audience. Much like the Elton John/Lil Nas X ads for Uber Eats, the advertising company is aiming at a particular demo.  You get the joke, or if you don't but the advertiser doesn't  care about your business.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Wait, there was a lesbian couple? 

In the very first scene, the little girl is hugging a light-brown woman with curly hair, and the brown-skinned woman is sitting beside them. But for the remainder of the commercial, we only see the brown-skinned woman. It's the cutest commercial, but what happened to the curly-head lady???????

7 hours ago, topanga said:

In the very first scene, the little girl is hugging a light-brown woman with curly hair, and the brown-skinned woman is sitting beside them. But for the remainder of the commercial, we only see the brown-skinned woman. It's the cutest commercial, but what happened to the curly-head lady???????

I didn't think about them being a couple.  I assumed the other woman was from the adoption agency/social services.  I'll pay more attention next time I see it.

• Useful 1

Last weekend, I saw one of those promotional ads that universities run during sporting events explaining why school "X" is so exceptional. This one was for Fresno State and it starts out similar to all other ads in the genre. Until the scene where a guy casually steps out of a bus that is billowing smoke like a scene straight out of a Cheech and Chong movie.

I have questions.

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I have questions.

Since he's a "problem solver", and there's another guy in the background working on the engine of another bus, I figured he's a mechanic, fixing the overheating bus, but he's not dressed like a mechanic, and it's an odd shot to have him walking out like "mission accomplished" when the bus is filled with smoke.  Showing that dude in the background would have made a lot more sense.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It looks more like he did a serious wake and bake in the bus.  I mean, I know marijuana is legal in CA now, but that's a bit much.  🤣

It's a subliminal message that Fresno State has plenty of fun bus rides.  I hope he didn't leave anyone else on the bus!

• LOL 6
10 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

It looks more like he did a serious wake and bake in the bus.  I mean, I know marijuana is legal in CA now, but that's a bit much.  🤣

Perhaps that's their demographic?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

While the Alexa commercial with the couple dancing to “I Only Have Eyes for You” is lovely, I can’t help but notice that the wife has obviously grown 6 inches since she was a teenager. That must have been some growth spurt!

• LOL 11

Saw the newest Hermes Red Handbag commercial in which a hyper-Evil Queen sends her minions to chase after the fiesty quasi-Snow White to GET THAT PURSE! It plays like an ad for some kind of Game of Thrones movie and I give it points for creativity.

However, at no point is the bag opened to reveal WHY it's so vital for the Evil Queen to covet and quasi-Snow White to defend- and it also does nothing to make it unappealing to any potential purse snatchers! 

On 12/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, Blergh said:

Saw the newest Hermes Red Handbag commercial in which a hyper-Evil Queen sends her minions to chase after the fiesty quasi-Snow White to GET THAT PURSE! It plays like an ad for some kind of Game of Thrones movie and I give it points for creativity.

However, at no point is the bag opened to reveal WHY it's so vital for the Evil Queen to covet and quasi-Snow White to defend- and it also does nothing to make it unappealing to any potential purse snatchers! 

I assume it's just the bag itself, not anything that's in it.  I wouldn't give a rat's ass about a Hermes bag, but the commercial is aimed at those who would, I guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG! Are they kidding with that shit? Barf.

No, they're dead serious.  It's all high-end designer stuff that they strut around in at fashion shows but no one would be caught dead wearing it in Real Real life, unless they like the circus look.  They claim it's all the real deal, authenticated and not cheap knockoffs.  They are trying to market to a certain demographic who, IMHO, would really not be interested in that type of clothing.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

No, they're dead serious.  It's all high-end designer stuff that they strut around in at fashion shows but no one would be caught dead wearing it in Real Real life, unless they like the circus look.  They claim it's all the real deal, authenticated and not cheap knockoffs.  They are trying to market to a certain demographic who, IMHO, would really not be interested in that type of clothing.

I cannot imagine. 

• Love 2

I have definitely heard the difference in the pronunciation in the Hanes underwear commercial from ball-ance to bal-ance.

Now I see Dr. Rick in a Priceline commercial. Really Dr. Rick? My old brain has enough trouble keeping things straight. Now you're confusing me when you're supposed to be helping me!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There is some home owners insurance company that is having this ad where the woman says her toilet's been running for hours but she doesn't care because she has XYZ  Insurance. Yeah, she's gonna care when she gets her water bill.

Does she not know how to jiggle the handle?

If she doesn't care because she has insurance, it sounds like her toilet isn't just running, but overflowing.  Who wouldn't care about potential floor damage just because insurance would cover it?  It's still a pain to deal with. 

Even if it is just running, she doesn't care about wasting water (even if, for no other reason, getting the bill like you said)?

I couldn't find it using a quick search, but it indeed sounds stupid!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Does she not know how to jiggle the handle?

If she doesn't care because she has insurance, it sounds like her toilet isn't just running, but overflowing.  Who wouldn't care about potential floor damage just because insurance would cover it?  It's still a pain to deal with. 

Even if it is just running, she doesn't care about wasting water (even if, for no other reason, getting the bill like you said)?

I couldn't find it using a quick search, but it indeed sounds stupid!

I'll pay more attention next time it's on. It is some company that just uses initials in their name.

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'll pay more attention next time it's on. It is some company that just uses initials in their name.

Probably something like AHS home warranty. That woman who makes the soggy sandwich when her sink faucet explodes is touting a home warranty.

I don't just jiggle the handle, I go to Ace Hardware and buy a new flapper.

Have you ever noticed how much a flapper and the Enterprise resemble one another?

enterprise.jpg

flapper.jpg

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Probably something like AHS home warranty. That woman who makes the soggy sandwich when her sink faucet explodes is touting a home warranty.

Have you ever noticed how much a flapper and the Enterprise resemble one another?

enterprise.jpg

flapper.jpg

OMG they do!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

enterprise.jpg

flapper.jpg

That's hilarious!  Also, the woman in the commercial could just turn the water supply off until she can fix the toilet.  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Now I see Dr. Rick in a Priceline commercial. Really Dr. Rick?

Speaking of Dr Rick, while I love the concept of those commercials it kind of bothers me that he says he's helping young homeowners.  Those homeowners aren't so young. 

(On the other hand it would bother me if they used actors in their 20s, implying their parents in their 50s were old fogeys.)

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is it the same company with the woman in the recliner being blown out of her house and down the street because the AC won’t turn off?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Is it the same company with the woman in the recliner being blown out of her house and down the street because the AC won’t turn off?

I think so. Prevailing Wind pointed this out as well:

Probably something like AHS home warranty. That woman who makes the soggy sandwich when her sink faucet explodes is touting a home warranty.

Edited by peacheslatour

Then this is it, and, yes, she's as dumb as all the other people in the AHS commercials.  Her toilet has been flushing for three hours straight, and she's just standing there and shrugging without even turning off the water, let alone opening the tank to see what's wrong.

(Yes, I understand all the scenarios are all cartoonishly exggerated, like how her toilet creates a vortex that sucks everything in the bathroom into it, not meant to be real household mishaps, but these ads tend to bug me, and I'm particularly irked by how many of this series in which people have no idea how to stop an appliance problem [not even fix it, just stop things like water spraying all over the place] feature women.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Our condos just spent a HUGE amount of money to get the sewer line cleaned out from inappropriate stuff going down people's toilets.  Does AHS cover that, when all her toiletries go down the toilet and clog the line out to the municipal line?

I have a septic tank here in MT since 2004 and in CA since 1990. Nothing goes down but a small amount of TP, a very small amount! No wipes, or whatever...they don't decompose. When Covid first happened in the great "TP shortage" people were flushing baby wipes down the toilet and totally clogged up the public septic system just south of me. People have no clue basically... I take care of my septic and it takes good care of me!!

• Love 4