Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I saw a phone provider ad earlier and it was simply just another dumb "goofy dad" type. Then?

Rick Astley popped out of a cake and sang! Y'all, Rick freaking Astley!   Dad then made it rain with the usage allotments, as it were.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the new Kleenex ad with the boy handing a tissue to a weeping girl on the bus. It's not earthshaking in execution but it's a refreshing change from kids being dishwasher-door-stomping, convenience-store-trashing, spoiled-mercenary-entitled brats that usually populate commercials these days.

Here it is. Adore it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LnuWQgL7Wg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
(edited)

The BK chicken fries ads don't make me want to eat chicken fries, but still make me laugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWigZQF_7M

I'm not saying the woman in bed couldn't be the mistress, but why would the woman in the street be the wife?  They showed two other random women, so doesn't that mean the older lady (of the three of them) is also a random woman?

Exactly.  I just guessed that the woman in bed was his wife.  The woman sweeping where the Fiat is clearly in a different part of town.

Edited by InDueTime
(edited)

So people can watch it here:

The best thing about this ad how widely it runs. Ten years ago something like this would have only run on networks like the LGBT centric Logo, or a show like Queer Eye. Now, commercials featuring LGBT families are everywhere, including sports events.

Progress!

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 5

Just saw this new commercial from Tylenol - I'm sure the usual parties will complain, but I think it's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33dTK7nUqo

I love it too! Same-sex couples are among the population, even if some people aren't happy about it; they should be represented in commercials--& print ads--too (along with the disabled & any other group which represents something other than the straight WASP's you normally see in commercials or print ads).

• Love 4

I love the message of the ad, but gah I hate that minibun the man at the end is sporting. I hate it in women and men equally. Just...fix your hair.

And I will admit to being a huge hypocrite because right now I'm rocking such a gravity defying flip because I have gravity defying hair and I'm not fixing it. Mostly because it won't be fixed. It needs to fly (flip). 

ETA. I lied. I couldn't leave my hair flip. It got worse. I tried to fix it. It's only slightly better. 

• Love 8

Ha - I was really into the ad (that's Susan Sarandon narrating, right?) and then got  distracted by that hairdo at the end, too.  I don't know why it jumped out at me, though - his hair is just pulled back. 

• Love 1

Just saw this new commercial from Tylenol - I'm sure the usual parties will complain, but I think it's great!

See, I like that they're showing all the various forms of families they are in the second half of the ad, but I don't really like the message of "fighting to be a family" in the context. Like, I think it would've been a more effective ad if they'd just gone ahead and shown all the different families as if that were normal, because, ya know, at this point it really is? I thought it was a little condescending and like, hey Tylenol, I know about my own experiences with civil rights thanks, and it has very little to do with over the counter pain medication?
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ikea's new BookBook ad.  I just can't...

Book and Ikea lover here. I love this ad so much I'd even risk going into my friendly neighborhood Ikea tomorrow (Saturday!) to get my hands on one.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 3

I found this online years ago and saved it...

Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device, trade-named -- BOOK.

BOOK is a revolutionary break-through in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it.

Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere -- even sitting in an armchair by the fire -- yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disc.

Here's how it works:

BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence.

Opaque Paper Technology (OPT) allows manufacturers to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now, BOOKS with more information simply use more pages. Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet.

BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.

BOOK never crashes or requires rebooting, though, like other devices, it can become damaged if coffee is spilled on it and it becomes unusable if dropped too many times on a hard surface. The "browse" feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet, and move forward or backward as you wish. Many come with an "index" feature, which pin-points the exact location of any selected information for instant retrieval.

An optional "Bookmark" accessory allows you to open BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session -- even if the BOOK has been closed. Bookmarks fit universal design standards; thus, a single Bookmark can be used in Books by various manufacturers. Conversely, numerous BOOK markers can be used in a single BOOK if the user wants to store numerous views at once. The number is limited only by the number of pages in the BOOK. You can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with optional programming tools, Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Styli (PENCILS).

Portable, durable, and affordable, BOOK is being hailed as a precursor of a new entertainment wave. Book's appeal seems so certain that thousands of content creators have committed to the platform and investors are reportedly flocking to invest. Look for a flood of new titles soon.

• Love 8
(edited)

God help me, I'm enjoying the Fiber One ads...

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7TXX/fiber-one-turn-around-barry

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71kf/fiber-one-90-calorie-brownies-drama-song-by-bonnie-tyler

But the song (execrable as it is) ends too soon.  I saw the Barry one first, now all I'm seeing is Barbara.

Barry's line "Every now and then, I get a little bit tired of living off the taste of the air." always cracks me up.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 1

I absolutely DESPISE the mustard bitch!  In one of the commercials where she's trashing the house (not sure if it's supposed to be her house or the ketchup's), she screams SO shrilly that I have to mute the sound.  Also, I despise the implication that women are horrible and unstable when we are broken up with.

• Love 3
(edited)

I needed mustard recently and wouldn't buy Heinz, even with the instore coupon for 50 cent right there, because of my hate for the commercial.  And passing up a coupon to stand on principal?  Unbelievably hard on my cheap ass self.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

I agree with Lillybee. As wonderful as that commercial is, the dog body language at the end makes me think the person holding the camera is telling the hound to stay and sit while the orangutan finishes its routine. Reminds me of a sibling rolling its eyes at a nuisance kid brother or sister.

• Love 2

See, I like that they're showing all the various forms of families they are in the second half of the ad, but I don't really like the message of "fighting to be a family" in the context. Like, I think it would've been a more effective ad if they'd just gone ahead and shown all the different families as if that were normal, because, ya know, at this point it really is? I thought it was a little condescending and like, hey Tylenol, I know about my own experiences with civil rights thanks, and it has very little to do with over the counter pain medication?

Good points.

But what I really wanted to say is that your username reminds me of this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otd73mRzxBs

• Love 1

I like that commercial, but if she didn't say her name into the phone at the beginning, I'm not sure I would have identified her, probably wouldn't have paid attention to the hold music, and not really gotten the joke.  Flo is, as always, annoying...

• Love 1

I know who Carnie Wilson is, I know she is a musician. I am unfamiliar with her music and cannot understand what she sings, so I don't get the joke - would someone please clue me in?

The commercial was about her songs, and her music. It was poking fun at them in a light hearted manner.

The main one from the commercial, Hold on:

• Love 1

I know who Carnie Wilson is, I know she is a musician. I am unfamiliar with her music and cannot understand what she sings, so I don't get the joke - would someone please clue me in?

I don't know if this helps, but in Bridesmaids, Wilson Phillips was the band that Rose Byrne's character booked to sing at the end of the movie.

• Love 1

I think the Flo/Carnie Wilson commercial goes on too long, and thus ruins the humor.  Carnie being asked to “hold on” and then having her “Really?” moment when the hold music is Wilson Phillips’ Hold On is funny.  (Which is impressive, as I find Carnie Wilson annoying.)

And the first line from the song Flo uses is okay (although not as funny, because now we’re into the realm of things that wouldn’t happen), but by the time she’s onto “Someday somebody’s gonna make you want to turn around and say good-bye” it has thoroughly worn out its welcome with me.

• Love 4

The commercial was about her songs, and her music. It was poking fun at them in a light hearted manner.

And in the end, she says bye to Flo, rather than her insurance company? Can't say I blame anyone wanting to get rid of Flo, but is that the message they really want to send?

Thank LoneHaranguer! I got that it was about her songs, I just couldn't understand what she sang at the end. And I do know she is Beach Boys' Brian Wilson's daughter, and Chyna Phillips, daughter of John & Michelle Phillips of the Mamas & Papas, but I much more familiar with the parents than the offspring.

And in the end, she says bye to Flo, rather than her insurance company? Can't say I blame anyone wanting to get rid of Flo, but is that the message they really want to send?

She was singing a line from the song.

• Love 1