Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

(edited)

I was just thinking about all the great commercials Ebay did when it was new and shiny. The one with Christian Borle singing "That's on Ebay" to "That's Amore" pops up, 

Of course Christian Borle was a totally infamous aspiring actor then -- it was about a year later when he turned up in the ensemble (with a couple of good cameo roles) in the original cast of Spamalot.

but I can't find a good quality video for the very first one, with the guy singing "Ebay" to "My Way."

Danny Rutigliano.

There was also one with a woman using that tune,

I never saw that one. I'd thought they tried to associate each song with just one performer.

plus one using "Do You Know the Way to San Jose"

Jessica Molaskey. (She's gone surprisingly classical-alto of late, playing the lowest solo nun in the televised Sound of Music and the sister in The Most Happy Fella.)

and another using "On Broadway."

I never saw that one either. I wish there was some comprehensive list somewhere of all of these. I loved them at the time, and of course they never identified the performers onscreen.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

Saw tonight for the first time, any commercial that opens with "Smash me, dear God, smash me now" has my attention. Apparently Miss Fluffytails (a ceramic bunny) is tired of witnessing all sorts of personal acts and smells in the bathroom.

Forgot to say it's for Quilted Northern toilet tissue.

Yeah, this. There are a few other such-themed ads for Quilted Northern on YT, and in the comments for this one, people find it utterly hilarious or despise it.

Me? Well, I find it a bit warped, but I also lean towards the funny camp - if one likes black humor, anyway!

• Love 2

I just saw an ad yesterday for French's Ketchup.  Go figure.  Next thing ya know, Marie Callender will be selling ice cream & Ben & Jerry will corner the pie market.

Kind of funny they have a little war going on!

• Love 1
(edited)

I usually hate commercials where people are dressed up like food (or condiments), but I always laugh at the Heinz Mustard one.  It's definitely the no-name mustard, with her mocking 'nah nah nah nah nah' and when the mustard squirts out of her hat (head?).

I also love the Kia Soul commercials, even though I don't think I would ever buy one.  I love those hamsters, especially the one with the three guys (critters?) that strut up the red carpet in their tuxes. 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
I also love the Kia Soul commercials, even though I don't think I would ever buy one.  I love those hamsters, especially the one with the three guys (critters?) that strut up the red carpet in their tuxes.

You mean this, right?  The one with Lady Gaga's Applause...I enjoy this commercial as well

https://youtu.be/A_DIvRKPsHU

I do love this Coneheads version just as I do the original.  Jane Curtin is great.

I just saw this commercial for the first time last night--I was howling!  I rewound and watched it a couple of times.  My favorite part was at the end with the explanation of khakis.  Too friggin cute!

• Love 2

I love the Samsung commercials with Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard.  I saw a new one for the washing machine today and the baby's stuffed animal.  They are such a cute couple.

• Love 2

Surprised so many people like that Coneheads commercial

Its OK, I am just kind of "meh" on it. I much prefer the original. But then I was never much into the Coneheads either.

I love those Kia Soul hamsters.

I really enjoy the Coneheads version for its take on each moment of the original:  "Yeah, I'm married.  Does it matter?" becomes "Correct, I have a life mate.  Is that consequential?"  "With whom are you communicating?"  "Jake from Planet State Farm at 0300 hours?" "Describe your apparel, Jake from Planet State Farm" complete with air quotes.  Et cetera.

But, because that's what I like about it, I feel it peters out in the end.  In the original, some of the best stuff comes after "Uh, khakis" -- "She sounds hideous" and "Well, she's a guy, so ..."  So ending instead on the explanation of khakis is a dud to me.

I go back to being happy with "Save mass quantities," however.

• Love 3

I have chronic health issues from birth, & have spent a lot of time in hospitals--& gotten a number of needle stick-related treatments/procedures--as a result.

I love this ad, from Johnson & Johnson Healthcare, which originally ran awhile ago & has, after a break, been running again recently, saluting nurses/encouraging people to become nurses. I love it because of the compassion the male nurse in the ad shows his pediatric-aged patient, who appears to be hospitalized for Cancer treatment or something equally serious, when he goes into her room to give her an injectable treatment of some sort (which he knows she dislikes) & because of the relationship they seem to have fostered in the time the young patient seems to have been in the hospital. He talks to her about the drawing she's making when he comes in; then, to take her mind off her apparently disliked treatment, even though it's going into an IV or other medical port & so shouldn't be that painful (like a direct needle stick into the skin) he sings a chorus of The Name Game ("banana fana, fo fana, fi fie fo fana...") with her until the injection's finished, among other things. Thankfully, I've had nurses, in my day, almost--but not totally--as compassionate as that male nurse.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2PVeOq60GcA

I also liked the Rob Lowe series of ads for DirecTV (full disclosure: he's 1 of my favorite actors; glad he's starring in the new Fox comedy The Grinder--about a TV lawyer, nicknamed "The Grinder", whose show is cancelled & who subsequently decides to help out at his real-life family's law firm; NOT about any dating sites with similar names). I hope they can find a way to do some more of those Rob Lowe "alter ego" ads in the future.

And this will probably show you how weird I actually am...

Another of my favorite ads/my favorite ad series is the series of ads for California Milk, where a real cow has been "anthropomorphized", has a human voice in the ads, & is treated as just another human member of the family in the ad. There are at least 3 different ads: Where the humans are in the kitchen eating breakfast, while the cow is upstairs singing in the shower; where the cow & the human mother are dropping the youngest human child off for their first day of school & the cow gets over the top emotional/

separation anxiety about it, unlike the human mother; & where the cow is speaking at the wedding reception of a daughter in the human family, talking about how she (the cow) checked the groom out on the internet, & thinks he posts way too many selfies online, but he's still good enough for the cow's "human sister" (or whatever you wanna call her) to marry & the cow toasts the newlyweds.

• Love 4

That Wells-Fargo commercial gets me every time.  Especially when one of the moms signs to their new daughter "I'm so happy!" and then the little girl signs that she's happy, too.  Seriously, just bring on the tears.

I think this one was mentioned but I'm posting it anyway.  Blended families are rarely shown in the media, much less commercials and this one from State Farm is so sweet.  The reactions of their kids is just priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn7-f0800KI

• Love 3

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I love this new San Diego tourism ad. Maybe because it's just catchy and cute.

I also really like these Colorado ads (LINK), but for a different reason - they're just really epic and well-done. Anyone else have any favorite tourism ads?

• Love 1

The no-name mustard cracks me up!

Yes! I was having kind of a meh Monday and my girlfriend knows that commercial always makes me laugh, so she sent me a link to it. Worked like a charm. :)

• Love 1

I saw a car commercial last night -- I think the model was called "Rogue," but I don't remember which car company -- that featured a family, with a little boy sitting in the back. Each time he looked out the window, he would imagine something fanciful -- a tree coming to life to grab hold of the car, a man trying to pass became a bear chasing after them, a boat on a trailer became a pirate ship on the high seas. It really was quite charming.

• Love 9
(edited)

I find it a bit disturbing he sees danger lurking everywhere, but, in general, yeah -- I’m just happy he’s looking at the world around him and using his imagination rather than starting at a screen every waking minute.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I find it a bit disturbing he sees danger lurking everywhere, but, in general, yeah -- I’m just happy he’s looking at the world around him and using his imagination rather than starting at a screen every waking minute.

It's nice he's not throwing a fit because the car doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Franklin Graham is pulling Billy Graham Association accounts from Wells Fargo over ads featuring same-sex couples to "fight moral decay".  He is also calling on Christians to boycott Wells Fargo as well as Tiffany & Co. because the jeweler has advertised wedding rings for same-sex couples.

How Christian of him.

• Love 6
(edited)

Franklin Graham is pulling Billy Graham Association accounts from Wells Fargo over ads featuring same-sex couples to "fight moral decay".  He is also calling on Christians to boycott Wells Fargo as well as Tiffany & Co. because the jeweler has advertised wedding rings for same-sex couples.

I bank with Wells Fargo. I feel all important now, standing up against assholism.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 9

I wondered about that at first, too, but I just think it's his sense of adventure coming through, and the larger message that the car keeps him and his family safe from whatever dangers are out there.

• Love 5

Maybe I haven't scrolled back far enough but is it too late to put in a vote for that 'naughty' Fiat ad set in the Italian village with a certain blue pill getting missed and going straight into the Fiat's tank while the old rogue screams no?  Anyway, I wonder if the older woman purring at the sight of that enhanced Fiat could be the old rogue's wife? LOL

• Love 5

While I like all of the Trip Advisor ads, this one has to be my favorite.

Maybe I haven't scrolled back far enough but is it too late to put in a vote for that 'naughty' Fiat ad set in the Italian village with a certain blue pill getting missed and going straight into the Fiat's tank while the old rogue screams no?  Anyway, I wonder if the older woman purring at the sight of that enhanced Fiat could be the old rogue's wife? LOL

They're two different women.  At the end, the wife is in bed with him.

• Love 1

While I like all of the Trip Advisor ads, this one has to be my favorite.

They're two different women.  At the end, the wife is in bed with him.

What makes you so sure the woman in bed's not his would-be mistress and the woman sweeping the street then purring at the sight of the car's not the old rogue's wife? Put it this way, it's less likely he'd be trying to enhance himself for someone who could dump him for a more vibrant sugar daddy than someone whose spent her life making the best of what he's given her.

Anyway, I like it because it recaptures the nearly lost art of being 'naughty' , coy and slightly risqué without devolving into being tacky and tasteless.

• Love 2
What makes you so sure the woman in bed's not his would-be mistress and the woman sweeping the street then purring at the sight of the car's not the old rogue's wife? Put it this way, it's less likely he'd be trying to enhance himself for someone who could dump him for a more vibrant sugar daddy than someone whose spent her life making the best of what he's given her.
I'm not saying the woman in bed couldn't be the mistress, but why would the woman in the street be the wife?  They showed two other random women, so doesn't that mean the older lady (of the three of them) is also a random woman?

I like the new Kleenex ad with the boy handing a tissue to a weeping girl on the bus.  It's not earthshaking in execution but it's a refreshing change from kids being dishwasher-door-stomping, convenience-store-trashing, spoiled-mercenary-entitled brats that usually populate commercials these days. 

• Love 9