Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

My husband loves that commercial because basically the falling asleep immediately is basically me. And the snoring. Except we don't have a bed that elevates like that. He was the one that saw it first and looked for it to show me he liked it so much. Hee.

• Love 3

A client of ours had problems with her dog eating his own poop. Somebody told her to feed the dog a Fig Newton daily.  I've since googled it, and it does seem to be the solution - the figs make the poop taste even weirder than normal and they won't eat it.

I have always suspected that Fig Newtons taste worse than shit.  Never had any real life experience to prove it, but thanks for the validation!

Has your client ever tried feeding the dog Yoplait?

• Love 6

I have always suspected that Fig Newtons taste worse than shit.  Never had any real life experience to prove it, but thanks for the validation!

Has your client ever tried feeding the dog Yoplait?

Fig Newtons are delicious!

• Love 8

I wonder if I will ever get tired of Dos Equis Most Interesting Man in the World. Doubtful.

And I currently love the Subaru ad with the guy and his dog and Willie Nelson singing "You're my buddy, my pal, my friend."

• Love 6

I didn't even know they still had the Most Interesting Man in the World.

"Stay thirsty, my friends."

Hey, if they can resurrect Colonel Sanders, I vote to keep the MIMitW.

• Love 3

.....except that chicken is clearly a girl chicken. I cannot tell you how many times I have re-watched that spot, only to hear Farmer say, "HE just keeps sending pictures."

.....except that chicken is clearly a girl chicken. I cannot tell you how many times I have re-watched that spot, only to hear Farmer say, "HE just keeps sending pictures."

Maybe the chicken from the "Chicken Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies!" ad has a really good agent.

• Love 1
(edited)

Over in the "annoying" thread, I was discussing that Clearasil ad where the mom keeps walking in on her son Stephen and being shocked. Today while replaying the embedded video, I saw another Clearasil ad in the mix of suggested videos at the end, and discovered a whole cute mini story about zombies. It's a bit of a stretch, but they've got 12 hours to keep this guy's girlfriend from permanently becoming a zombie and coincidentally, his zit is gone by then, too, because Clearasil is ALL. THAT.

Not sure why we get both choices at the end. I looked, but couldn't find any of the other choices along the way.

Edited by riley702

It annoys me so very much that the default gender of non-human critters on TV is male.

• Love 3

Over in the "annoying" thread, I was discussing that Clearasil ad where the mom keeps walking in on her son Stephen and being shocked. Today while replaying the embedded video, I saw another Clearasil ad in the mix of suggested videos at the end, and discovered a whole cute mini story about zombies. It's a bit of a stretch, but they've got 12 hours to keep this guy's girlfriend from permanently becoming a zombie and coincidentally, his zit is gone by then, too, because Clearasil is ALL. THAT.

Not sure why we get both choices at the end. I looked, but couldn't find any of the other choices along the way.

I can't believe I just watched the entire thing, including making choices LOL. After the dance party (is there a reason why all the little girls are black?)  I chose "confront Alex" instead of "dance away" & got a small scene where Milton takes a picture of Monica & the friends VO says Monica's life is ruined now & you have to choose again, so I think there's a correct choice for each scene, & if you don't pick it, they give you a small scene & make you pick the other choice.

While I think this is cute, I don't think it's a good advertisement because I completely forgot about Clearasil until the guy said something about his zit. 

• Love 1

The word "he" is not gender-specific. It would only be wrong if he said "she" and the chicken were male.

(edited)

I can't believe I just watched the entire thing, including making choices LOL. After the dance party (is there a reason why all the little girls are black?)  I chose "confront Alex" instead of "dance away" & got a small scene where Milton takes a picture of Monica & the friends VO says Monica's life is ruined now & you have to choose again, so I think there's a correct choice for each scene, & if you don't pick it, they give you a small scene & make you pick the other choice.

I must have made the correct choice, then. I wondered about the party, too, but rewatching it, there are a couple of white girls on the back row (weirdly older than the rest)

The word "he" is not gender-specific. It would only be wrong if he said "she" and the chicken were male.

Really? I knew "man" (as in mankind) wasn't.

Edited by riley702

But it's the farmer's own chicken. He should know by now it's a she. If he doesn't, he ain't no farmer.

• Love 7

Only in the generic usage.  Trust me, I'm correcting anyone who calls me "he."

• Love 11

But it's the farmer's own chicken. He should know by now it's a she. If he doesn't, he ain't no farmer.

Maybe he figures that if he avoids being specific, he'll never be embarrassed by getting it wrong (even accidentally).

Heh. Now you've got me picturing some poor wannabe farmer standing outside his hen house, scratching his head and wondering why none of his chickens are laying eggs but instead all making an ungodly racket at dawn every day but he's too embarrassed to find out why. Overthinking it, I know.

• Love 5

Yeah, but "she" isn't gender neutral, so you're safe.

Serious question, although it probably belongs in the grammar thread rather than here - how is "he" gender-neutral? They is gender-neutral, since it never identifies someone as either male or female.

• Love 2
(edited)

Serious question, although it probably belongs in the grammar thread rather than here - how is "he" gender-neutral? They is gender-neutral, since it never identifies someone as either male or female.

In the generic sense, when the pronoun "he" is used for an unidentified person, it's considered gender-neutral.  Like, "If a customer wants to return an item, he needs to present a receipt."  It avoids the whole s/he, he or she, the awkward plural "they", or use of passive voice.

Interestingly, "she" is considered gender neutral when referring to a person who is in a role usually occupied by women.  Such as "If a nurse wants to advance in her career, she should attend management training."

Just general, generic references to a single person - not surprisingly - are covered by "he."

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

Just saw a new (to me, anyway) spot for Polident. Several older women sitting around laughing uproariously. My first thought? You just know one of them is peeing a little.

• Love 8

Just saw a new (to me, anyway) spot for Polident. Several older women sitting around laughing uproariously. My first thought? You just know one of them is peeing a little.

Or, if wearing Tena, just letting go.

• Love 5

In the generic sense, when the pronoun "he" is used for an unidentified person, it's considered gender-neutral.  Like, "If a customer wants to return an item, he needs to present a receipt."  It avoids the whole s/he, he or she, the awkward plural "they", or use of passive voice.

Interestingly, "she" is considered gender neutral when referring to a person who is in a role usually occupied by women.  Such as "If a nurse wants to advance in her career, she should attend management training."

Just general, generic references to a single person - not surprisingly - are covered by "he."

Right but it wasn't a generic reference: it was about a hen, which by definition would always be female. Wasn't a rooster. Although interestingly, when I googled that ad, the title of the video came up as "she just keeps sending more pictures", but the closed captioning of what the farmer says on the same site came up as "he just keeps sending more pictures". No idea where the title came from on the site in question, so it may not be official. However, now I'm guessing the line was probably supposed to be "she" but the actor was sort of mumbly so it sounds more like 'e just keeps sending and thus this whole debate was born.

• Love 5

I don't think he would spontaneously say that, but the fact that he does carry around Kleenex & can talk about feelings indicates, to me at least, he's been drilled at home not to be a brute.  He's heard that line many times from his parent(s).

• Love 5

I love the commercial with the parents who have just gotten the kiddos to bed and plop down on the couch to eat Fruit Loops and play old-school video games.  They way they both say "Yeaahh!" is so cute and reminds me that we all can be young at heart!

• Love 5
(edited)

Right but it wasn't a generic reference: it was about a hen, which by definition would always be female. Wasn't a rooster. Although interestingly, when I googled that ad, the title of the video came up as "she just keeps sending more pictures", but the closed captioning of what the farmer says on the same site came up as "he just keeps sending more pictures". No idea where the title came from on the site in question, so it may not be official. However, now I'm guessing the line was probably supposed to be "she" but the actor was sort of mumbly so it sounds more like 'e just keeps sending and thus this whole debate was born.

Just for the record, I was only clarifying how "he" can be considered gender neutral.  I was never debating whether or not the chicken was a he or a she.  I am not qualified for that argument because I can't tell.  But if that bird is indeed a hen, then yes, the farmer is an idiot for saying "he" rather than invoking a poorly understood rule of grammar.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 3

I think this commercial is adorable...but I think it would've been more effective if the little boy just handed the girl a kleenex without the dialogue. It just didn't sound like something a child would say

It reminds me of the kids coffee scene from Airplane, only much less funny.

• Love 8

Oh, that's perfect.  That commercial inspires a huge eye roll in me, because I don’t for a moment believe a kid would say that, so now I can just picture that scene and laugh instead.

• Love 1

The Arby's commercials are some of my favorites. The announcer is so gosh darn enthusiastic about bacon and sandwiches and sandwiches made with bacon.

Sadly, there are no Arby's restaurants in my area.

• Love 2
(edited)

It makes me laugh when the announcer says "and what are those???? sandwiches??? Oh buddy, what's the occasion? Some sort of sandwich party?"

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4

The Arby's commercials are some of my favorites. The announcer is so gosh darn enthusiastic about bacon and sandwiches and sandwiches made with bacon.

We are the MEATS!

• Love 1

You know that's Ving Rhames, right?

I like a fairly clever misdirect ad for Mini (Cooper) with a family looking for a park and finally arriving at an old and abandoned water park. Which is perfect, becuase the family is Tony Hawk and his sons.

• Love 1

I would gladly trade you our Arby's for your KFC.

• Love 1