Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I was kinda meh on Esurance's "Sorta you" series of ads, but I flove "Sorta Marge", as it mercilessly skewers every beauty queen who has ever biffed the thoughtful/controversial Q&A portion of a pageant. I also love that, as she gazes out over an imaginary audience, the boss looks behind him, as if he's thinking "Who the hell are you talking to, lady?"

Edited by riley702
  • Love 6

Lee Marvin's first wife (or one of them -- the one before Michelle Triola) wrote an entertaining memoir.  I got it on kindle for a couple of bucks, as I recall. Lots of old time Hollywood gossip.

• Love 1

I don't care for that one.  All the other alternate versions of people are obnoxious, so "don't be like this me" works, but this guy is just short.  Creepy Rob Lowe can stop being creepy if he wants, but Petite Randy Moss can't stop being petite.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

As a NY Giants fan, I want to hate that Tony Romo ad so badly, but it makes me laugh every time. Dang it!

My consolation is the Eli Manning one is ok. But what I really hope is that Romo gets sacked by the Giants. A lot.

• Love 4

This ad always made me laugh....

Now a certain politician running for prez wants to track people who overstay their visas using a fedex type system.....so wrong on so many levels.:-D

• Love 4

I'll have to go back and re-read [Pauline Kael] on [Cat Ballou]. Maybe I am remembering wrong. But I'll bet she liked Jane Fonda in it. She always liked Jane Fonda!

Keeping it very brief (I considered taking it to PM, but I prefer to continue conversations where they started), here are some sentences from her review. Obviously they don't do justice to the flow of the whole article:

"It's uneven, lumpy, coy, and obvious, a self-consciously cute movie.... Something's always happening all right, too much is happening, but Hecht [the producer] is mistaken in thinking there's never a dull moment. There are some nice things: Nat King Cole singing "They'll Never Make Her Cry"; Lee Marvin's ritual preparations for a gunfight; an almost brilliant bit of graveyard humor -- when Marvin mistakes funeral candles for a birthday celebration; occasional good lines. But mainly it is a series of sort-of-funny and trying-to-be-funny ideas..." She really doesn't say anything specifically about Jane Fonda; her liking of Fonda came a few years later.

• Love 1

Seriously I love them all. It's cool they seem to be rolling out a new one a week. Wonder who will be next? Watt, Peyton, or Rogers?

When are they gonna do a DirecTV ad like those with a female athlete or celebrity?  I'd like to see what Jane Lynch or Venus or Serena Williams would do.  Maybe even do alternate versions of Hannah with her horse.

• Love 1

When are they gonna do a DirecTV ad like those with a female athlete or celebrity?  I'd like to see what Jane Lynch or Venus or Serena Williams would do.  Maybe even do alternate versions of Hannah with her horse.

Given it's football season, football athletes is probably all we're getting.

• Love 3

I loathe Domino's pizza in general and the way Sarah cannot enunciate either "pizza" or "emoji" makes me stabby but Clark Gregg's deadpan reading of "hearty" in Domino's ad fills me with delight. I pay attention to that commercial every time just so I can see that part.

I have to admit I am also amused by the waiter's haughty eye roll.

• Love 3

Given it's football season, football athletes is probably all we're getting.

The commercials are for the Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket package. I guess the ads are a failure in that none of us bothered to notice the product. 

• Love 5

I saw a Trident Gum commercial last night where the squirrel gets into the meeting room of dentists. My daughter and I howled with laughter. I looked it up and it is pretty dated, but I had never seen it before and it was awesome.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

Even though the US Open started, and they could be a Williams' sister one, DirecTV has that agreement with the NFL, so it's just going to be football. Maybe in the next round. Dreaming is free, right?

If DirecTV had a special Tennis channel package (like the NFL Sunday Ticket which is what those ads are selling), we'd probably see something with the Williams sisters.  But I'm not aware of one.  (Keeping in mind that I only liked tennis when Bjorn Borg was playing, so I don't really pay attention now.)

• Love 3

They do have a tennis package. They let you watch multiple matches onscreen at the same time for the Slams, but since they're pushing that based on features, the ads for it are generally for the package itself, not just DirectTV. That said, most of the ads I see for the tennis package air on the Tennis Channel, or during tennis matches on ESPN.

Whereas presumably they think the US market for football is larger, so we see the football ads all over the place.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

Just seeing hug and mug in the link, I know which one it is.  And, yeah, it's dumb -- that guy needs to get his hearing checked, not knock down a wall -- yet funny, largely for the look on her face when he walks in, hugs her, and walks back out.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I've been meaning to post about this commercial.  It reminds me so much of the first time (and frankly any time) I offered to pay the bill for my parents.  Even into his 90's my dad wouldn't let me pay.  I love how the guy says "MOM"

• Love 2

A long time ago, there was a great AM/PM commercial.

Guy was sitting on the curb in the parking lot of an AM/PM, sluping on a big old drink. A hot pair of legs walk up, stand in a spread pose of opposition. Hot lady asks, "where have you been?" Guy's daydream is broken as he notices her, and he says, "to get something to drink..." Lady says exaserbated,  "For three HOURS?!" Guy says, "I got HOOOOTT..."

Great commercial! If anyone has it for some reason, I'd sure like to see it again!

Direct TV brings us out of control beard Andrew Luck https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbleoReUNI

Seriously I love them all. It's cool they seem to be rolling out a new one a week. Wonder who will be next? Watt, Peyton, or Rogers?

Sports Illustrated's NFL preview issues, front and back covers, had Peyton, Eli, Romo and Luck from these commercials, each in both forms. At least I thought it was Peyton in it....maybe I am wrong.

I still like the Rob Lowe one the best though.

I love those commecials.

Wouldn't mind seeing Luke Kuechly do one. He has done some local commercials in Charlotte for various products that are hilarious.

Sports Illustrated's NFL preview issues, front and back covers, had Peyton, Eli, Romo and Luck from these commercials, each in both forms. At least I thought it was Peyton in it....maybe I am wrong.

I saw the Peyton commercial just tonight. It's High-Voiced-Peyton. He sings in a barbershop quartet.

I actually love those dopey Swiffer commercials....

But one of them truly makes me HAPPY!

"I'm Jerry Bell the Second." "I'm Jerry Bell the Third." Deep Couch Sitting! [Thanks to janie jones.]

Father and son and the ties that bind.

Kinda beautiful...to me. :)

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 5

The kitties are so cute, and the names amuse me so, I am willing to overlook the fact no one with two cats, let alone a house full of them, would choose one of those cats' names for a password and then just put "my cat's name" as the hint.  (And there's no way this guy only had one cat when he made the account.)  I especially love the cat lying between them on the couch, with his/her head up against the guy's leg.

• Love 3

Are you sure?  I hear "deep couch city" too.

Well the guy is talking about how he has to get up so often that there's no deep couch sitting for him.  As in, you can't settle in when you sit.  "You gotta be prepared to sit at the edge of your couch and be ready to get up.  There's no deep couch sitting."  He's talking about sitting.

• Love 5

Well the guy is talking about how he has to get up so often that there's no deep couch sitting for him.  As in, you can't settle in when you sit.  "You gotta be prepared to sit at the edge of your couch and be ready to get up.  There's no deep couch sitting."  He's talking about sitting.

You're right.  "Deep Couch Sitting," meaning he can relax, sit deep on the couch.

• Love 1