Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I'll admit that it's been an emotionally exhausting day (in a good way, mostly), but damned if that Share The Force video didn't make me a little misty. I am going to watch the new movie in December and even if it's terrible I can pretty much guarantee I'll spend the entire time weeping out of sheer nostalgia.

• Love 1

I am weirdly fond of the Disney Resort commercial where the woman at the check-in desk asks "How can I make your stay more magical?" I'm a retail grunt with a cheesy script I have to follow when I answer the phone, and I'm basically the only person in my store who doesn't hate it. (Yes, it's cheesy, but it's two damn sentences and I get at least one customer a day commenting on how nice it sounds. Suck it up.) I have a sense of fellow-feeling for her, an appreciation for another customer service worker making an effort to make the cheesy and scripted sound genuine.

• Love 3

I am weirdly fond of the Disney Resort commercial where the woman at the check-in desk asks "How can I make your stay more magical?" I'm a retail grunt with a cheesy script I have to follow when I answer the phone, and I'm basically the only person in my store who doesn't hate it. (Yes, it's cheesy, but it's two damn sentences and I get at least one customer a day commenting on how nice it sounds. Suck it up.) I have a sense of fellow-feeling for her, an appreciation for another customer service worker making an effort to make the cheesy and scripted sound genuine.

I am part of the Disney Vacation Club, and I have so much admiration for the staff being able to say thing like "Welcome home!" and "Have a magical day!" without sounding like a dork. For our last visit to the resort in Hilton Head, the staff was on the front porch of the reception building, waving hello to us while wearing gigantic Mickey-like white-gloved hands. It was awesome in its cheesiness. I loved it.

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 5

I cringe at this commercial. Being in the retail service industry I know that the, "How can I make your stay more magical?" Is a subtle way to get some upcharges beyond your prepaid package. And at a Disney resort those upcharges are very expensive. They are just hoping the lady mentions spa treatment, the guy asks about a golf outing with a sports bars visit. Where all the staff just says we will charge it back to the room. Oh the OY! at the end of that stay. 

• Love 3

L.O.L.

I hadn't seen this before - very funny. I was waiting for her to deck him. There was also a (meh) Emo!Flo commercial that popped up in the recs afterward that I hadn't seen, either. And this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBrl4DNA_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdDrY7yPy04

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0nwc_FbPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEvnjwQVv18

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5

*taking a 30 second break from hating Yoplait*

Okay, I'm back to reality now.

This just makes me hate it more. Now they're using some sociopathic looking douchebag using the tiniest spoon in the world to sell flavored snot.
  • Love 3

It might be somewhat forgotten now, but (just as a point of information) it wasn't underrated at the time. It got rave reviews (including Pauline Kael's), and was a very large hit. Pretty much everyone at the time saw it, audiences laughed uproariously, and if there was a man, woman or child who didn't love it, no one has yet heard a peep from them.

My nieces had a cat named Cat Ballou who lived to be about 20 years old, obv named for the movie. 

• Love 2

I knew what the count down in the commercial was for, just didn't know about the song. thanks for the info. and I still like the women in the ad.

That actress has been on various series, including Bones, as Caroline, a prosecuting attorney, who hails from New Orleans and calls everyone "Cher/e."  Love her to pieces. 

• Love 3

The kitties are so cute, and the names amuse me so, I am willing to overlook the fact no one with two cats, let alone a house full of them, would choose one of those cats' names for a password and then just put "my cat's name" as the hint.  (And there's no way this guy only had one cat when he made the account.)  I especially love the cat lying between them on the couch, with his/her head up against the guy's leg.

My take on this commercial is that Little Caesar's demographic is people too stupid to order pizza online.  My kids say, no, too stoned. 

• Love 7

This just makes me hate it more. Now they're using some sociopathic looking douchebag using the tiniest spoon in the world to sell flavored snot.

That's Dominic Purcell, from "Prison Break". He's also in the TV series "The Flash" and "Legends of Tomorrow".

• Love 1

That's Dominic Purcell, from "Prison Break". He's also in the TV series "The Flash" and "Legends of Tomorrow".

I've never seen any of those shows so he just comes across as some super creepy db. Is that tiny spoon a joke from those shows?

I know I'm in the minority here but I like the e-harmony commercials, especially the new ones with a Halloween theme.  They are a dating site and no more offensive to me than the Match.com or Christian singles or Farmers only.com commercials. 

• Love 1

The kitties are so cute, and the names amuse me so, I am willing to overlook the fact no one with two cats, let alone a house full of them, would choose one of those cats' names for a password and then just put "my cat's name" as the hint.  (And there's no way this guy only had one cat when he made the account.)  I especially love the cat lying between them on the couch, with his/her head up against the guy's leg.

I don't find it unreasonable. I have five cats, but the same one always gets used for those websites where you're required to pick from a(n always terrible) set list of security questions. He's The Favorite (but don't tell the other four).

• Love 7

My two cynical thoughts were that she was afraid to tell him he has bad breath, plus, why weren't they in trouble for bringing gum to school?

Because kids don't get in trouble for anything anymore. We can't discipline our little snowflakes anymore. Silly man.

Well, they look like they're in high school, so maybe the "no gum in school" edict is no longer in force. And the gum was just her way of extending the conversation. Stop ruining it for me! :-) [/jk]

• Love 4

I love this commercial, but I do wonder why he's using such a tiny spoon.  Oh, wait a minute, it's so the actor doesn't have to actually eat very much of the yogurt.

My take on this commercial is that Little Caesar's demographic is people too stupid to order pizza online.  My kids say, no, too stoned. 

Eh, why bother with the hassle of setting up an account, signing in, etc., when I can just call and order pizza over the phone.

I was in high school in the '90s and we were allowed to have gum.  Some individual teachers had a rule against it, but all you'd have to do was spit it out.

Man, you whipper-snappers had all the luck!

• Love 3

I am a little hard of hearing, so any business is harder to conduct over the phone.  Also, when you call a pizza place, there is always lots of noise in the background, causing whoever answers to have lots of trouble hearing what I'm ordering.  A shouting match ensues as we go through all the required options, and I don't always end up with what I thought I ordered.  Greatly prefer online ordering!

• Love 3

I am a little hard of hearing, so any business is harder to conduct over the phone.  Also, when you call a pizza place, there is always lots of noise in the background, causing whoever answers to have lots of trouble hearing what I'm ordering.  A shouting match ensues as we go through all the required options, and I don't always end up with what I thought I ordered.  Greatly prefer online ordering!

I've never had that problem with any of the local pizza places, and I only call to order.  But I realize people do have that experience from time to time, and I certainly understand about having hearing issues.  I don't think there's anything wrong with online ordering if that's what works for you.  Same goes for calling, though; doesn't mean those of us who do are too stupid to order online, nor do I think that's what Little Caesar's ads are aiming for.  (Not that I thought you were implying anything like that - just explaining my initial comment further.)  Edited to note: that commercial hasn't made me want to buy their pizza, but it has caused me to start referring to one of my cats as "Fluffbottom".  Don't say advertising never works. lol

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

I order online with Round Table, and have never had any problems.  And I haven't even bothered setting up an account.

Oh, man, I miss Round Table SO much.  I ordered a mushroom pizza when I first got to OK, and it had MAYBE 6 sliced mushrooms on it!  What a disgrace!

I like the Peter Pan GEICO commercial the first time I saw it, but then I started to feel like Peter was being a bit of a d-bag. His "Hey, you don't look a day over 70!" sounded smarmy (especially since that's not actually a compliment to someone from the class of '65), and he kicked the dude in the head because he wasn't paying attention to where he was flying while he sang. 

• Love 3

Had this in "Say What?" before realizing it's more germane here . . .

I'm currently obsessed with the "I Love New York" scratch-off ticket game ad. Can't find video for it, but they run it in my NY hometown and where I currently live, Mystic, CT. It uses the "I Love New York" song that was created in the mid-seventies and used through the eighties in ads to try to lure frightened tourists back to NYC -- and to get city-dwellers interested in exploring other parts of the state.

Anyway, there's a Joe Schmo-looking guy who imagines himself in a number of scenic upstate destinations while badly singing about his experiences to the tune of the "I Love NY" song as he scratches a scratch-off card and wins a trip! "I won a trip . . ." he sings, to which the underwhelmed convenience store-owner deadpan-sings back "That is so exciting".

The ad is utterly ridiculous, yet appeals to me because a) I'm ancient, and can remember the originals from when I was a kid, and b) because the actor who plays the convenience-store guy is perfect. Still, I wonder how successful it will be if it's aiming for any market beyond olds like me.

And now, having thoroughly embarrassed myself by painstakingly describing a "you had to be there" situation, I will let myself out.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 3

I like the Kia Sorento ad where the dad rips off the 'participation award' from his son's trophy and writes 'champs' on it, because the boy's team had won all their games.

I don't know the product, but I LOVE the commercial where the man is going crazy and shouting 'representative' into the phone over and over.  Been there a million times.

• Love 11