Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

(edited)

Thank LoneHaranguer! I got that it was about her songs, I just couldn't understand what she sang at the end. And I do know she is Beach Boys' Brian Wilson's daughter, and Chyna Phillips, daughter of John & Michelle Phillips of the Mamas & Papas, but I much more familiar with the parents than the offspring.

Your post is a little unclear as to what you're saying about Chynna Phillips. Carnie & her sister, Wendy, are/were bandmates of Chynna's in Wilson Phillips.

I say are/were because the band broke up/took a really long hiatus after recording only their second CD--most/all 3 of the ladies married & had children during the hiatus (Chynna has 3 or 4 kids, boys & girls; Wendy has at least 4--all boys--the last I heard; Carnie has 2 girls), they did solo & other group-type recording projects, & Carnie had a short-lived daytime talk show, but they've gotten back together periodically in the last 10 years or so. In the last decade or so, they've toured/done some other live performances & released a Christmas CD, a Greatest Hits CD, & 2 CD's of mostly, if not entirely, "covers"--California, a collection of "California"-related songs (not like California, Here I Come; more like "beach" songs, songs by artists connected, somehow, to California, etc.), & Dedicated, a CD of songs made famous/previously recorded by their parents' groups, The Beach Boys & The Mamas & The Papas.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I found this online years ago and saved it...

Introducing the new Bio-Optic Organized Knowledge device, trade-named -- BOOK.

BOOK is a revolutionary break-through in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use, even a child can operate it.

Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere -- even sitting in an armchair by the fire -- yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM disc.

Here's how it works:

BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. The pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence.

Opaque Paper Technology (OPT) allows manufacturers to use both sides of the sheet, doubling the information density and cutting costs. Experts are divided on the prospects for further increases in information density; for now, BOOKS with more information simply use more pages. Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet.

BOOK may be taken up at any time and used merely by opening it.

BOOK never crashes or requires rebooting, though, like other devices, it can become damaged if coffee is spilled on it and it becomes unusable if dropped too many times on a hard surface. The "browse" feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet, and move forward or backward as you wish. Many come with an "index" feature, which pin-points the exact location of any selected information for instant retrieval.

An optional "Bookmark" accessory allows you to open BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session -- even if the BOOK has been closed. Bookmarks fit universal design standards; thus, a single Bookmark can be used in Books by various manufacturers. Conversely, numerous BOOK markers can be used in a single BOOK if the user wants to store numerous views at once. The number is limited only by the number of pages in the BOOK. You can also make personal notes next to BOOK text entries with optional programming tools, Portable Erasable Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Styli (PENCILS).

Portable, durable, and affordable, BOOK is being hailed as a precursor of a new entertainment wave. Book's appeal seems so certain that thousands of content creators have committed to the platform and investors are reportedly flocking to invest. Look for a flood of new titles soon.

Reminds me of a time my husband went to the city council to propose a way to clean a part of the bikepath that was always dirty because the street sweeper couldn't fit in the underpass.  It was a Basic Remover Of Offensive Material and came in many sizes and required only one human to operate it.  They didn't go for it, though. 

• Love 6

Reminds me of a time my husband went to the city council to propose a way to clean a part of the bikepath that was always dirty because the street sweeper couldn't fit in the underpass.  It was a Basic Remover Of Offensive Material and came in many sizes and required only one human to operate it.  They didn't go for it, though. 

What a pity. There was probably a large pool of skilled Basic Remover Of Offensive Material operators ready and waiting to be tapped for the job, too.

• Love 3

I grin like an idiot - and try not to cry - every time that commercial comes on. Doggy bucket list - adorable.

I've given up trying and I cry unabashedly. I am so thankful that my husband understands and accepts my jello-like consistency about animals.

• Love 4

I'm sure people are sick of hearing the song, but I really like the Wyoming tourism commercial:

There's something about the visual style they used... I don't know why, but it kinda reminds me of old-school metal lunchboxes... I don't know.  I just love looking at it.

• Love 6

I'm sure people are sick of hearing the song, but I really like the Wyoming tourism commercial:

There's something about the visual style they used... I don't know why, but it kinda reminds me of old-school metal lunchboxes... I don't know.  I just love looking at it.

I never saw that before (I'm all the way across country from WY). You're right, it does look like metal lunchbox art, so fun.

• Love 4

Little Miss Puffytail from the Quilted Northern ad thought she had it rough.  Poor Constable Bob.

However, I do wonder how often that bathroom is cleaned if no one's noticed the action figures on the floor and under the toilet seat.

• Love 4

I love that Suburu dog bucket list one too, especially since the dog looks elderly. I get something in my eye sometimes when watching it. I too am jello over animals!

I also love the tire commercial with the baby as the car. I will stop what I'm doing and un-mute the TV to laugh over it. I especially get a kick out of the car/baby's reproachful look at the fire hydrant. The actor in the commercial does a great job with his expressions.

• Love 5

I love that Suburu dog bucket list one too, especially since the dog looks elderly.

He's 14-1/2 (or something up there and a half) according to his cake.  So I love that the owner is celebrating a half-birthday - and working his way through the dog's bucket list - because he may not get to the next birthday.

And I think it's in this thread that someone linked to the Denali tribute video; anyone who has ever loved a pet should watch that, but have tissues at the ready.

• Love 3

God help me I have a crush on the Oscar Meyer guy:

I have a mad crush on the can-do groom who gets his bride to the altar in the Subaru ad. 

Every once in a while, I wonder about how successful a "Commercials with People we Find Sexy" thread would be on this site.

• Love 2

I have to dissent on this one. I'm in Colorado, and I see this ad multiple times every evening. That guy's raspy voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Also the overall yellowish color cast of the graphics is unpleasant in my opinion. It's not going to affect any of my travel plans to Wyoming, but can't wait for it to be off the air.

But I like the Sonic guys, Flo, and the Gecko, so what do I know?

• Love 2

I was just thinking the kid is lucky he doesn't live next door to me.  I'd suggest the parents have a little chat with him about littering.  And physics.

• Love 2

He's 14-1/2 (or something up there and a half) according to his cake.  So I love that the owner is celebrating a half-birthday - and working his way through the dog's bucket list - because he may not get to the next birthday.

Awww, that's so sweet re: half birthday. I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Love 1

I just saw it again and I was wrong -- he's 14-3/4, not 14-1/2.  So it makes me sad thinking the guy is doing this bucket list and having a birthday cake now because the dog probably isn't going to make it to his 15th, but it's just so adorable it makes me happy, too. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Aw, that's cute.  I like when the car alarm goes off.

The vets I work for apparently don't pay attention to commercials.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen on a dog's chart "Diet: Little Caesar's" which I promptly change to Cesar's as I type it into the database.  I had the chance to discuss it with one of the vets - reminding her that Little Caesar is Pizza Pizza; Cesar (without the extra "a") is the cute doggy food.  And, ach, those wee duggies are cute!

(There's another vet who keeps writing "Ames" when she means IAMS.) (Sheesh).

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
(edited)

Love this one from 1992. My daughter was about the same age as the girl in the commercial and gave me the "daddy, if you EVER..." death glare at the end. It still cracks me up. Never pass up an opportunity to embarrass your kids.... *snerk*.

GTE - "Smart Ring"

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 3

A physicist (?) that's a woman and a POC. 

That's how I felt about this Chobani ad.  And I actually went out and bought the stuff, so I guess the ad was a success.  I rarely see WOC in professional positions in commercials, so it's nice to see it when it happens.  Plus, she's selling the hell out of it, lol.  For once, a yogurt commercial that doesn't suck.

• Love 4

One ad that made me go out and buy something, quickly, is the one for Magnum ice cream bars. And it lives up to the commercial. Worth every penny. I became a much more dignified ice cream consumer, now that I'm eating a bar on a stick and not scooping straight out of the carton with a spoon.

• Love 4
I just saw it again and I was wrong -- he's 14-3/4, not 14-1/2.  So it makes me sad thinking the guy is doing this bucket list and having a birthday cake now because the dog probably isn't going to make it to his 15th, but it's just so adorable it makes me happy, too.

I have a friend at work who did a bucket list for her dog (poor pooch had cancer and hung on way longer than anyone expected, so her FB page was "Dora Mae Peapod is too awesome for cancer"), so these commercials make the room get all kinds of chopped onion-y.

• Love 4

I like the commercial (I believe it's for Honda) for the backup camera where the little girl is begging her dad for something and when he refuses she makes faces behind the car.  Se gets in the car and he busts her!  I like her faces.

(edited)

I have a friend at work who did a bucket list for her dog (poor pooch had cancer and hung on way longer than anyone expected, so her FB page was "Dora Mae Peapod is too awesome for cancer"), so these commercials make the room get all kinds of chopped onion-y.

The page is still up! And "complaining" about a cat (Limberbutt McCubbins) running for president.

https://www.facebook.com/aDORAblepants

Limberbutt's "announcement"

ETA: My Mom has an outside only cat in the country that is 17 years old. That's ancient for an outdoor cat!  Rosie was actually my Dad's, but he passed away in 2003 and Rosie keeps going. They had her vaccinated and spayed and could never get her in a carrier again for updates. She avoids fights, which probably helps.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

I have a formerly feral cat who turned 18 some time in April.  She's had what I've been convinced is kidney failure (based on prior experience) for going on three years now.  We treated our other cat for two and half years for it before we had to put her down three months shy of her 18th birthday.  I won't treat Merlot, our current cat, because she is sooooo stressed about the vet and disruptive things in general.  I've literally been crying every vacation (when I've had a snoot-full) about losing her for three years now.  My husband is beyond tired of hearing it, LOL.  I should have done the bucket list route - I'd be absolved of any guilt for going on two and half years!

• Love 5

Aquarius, thank you so much for your post. My grumpy old man cat is 17, semi-feral, and developing hyperthyroidism (his numbers are above normal but not astronomical). I can't touch him at all so I can't treat him, he won't take the homeopathic medicine in his food, and I'm looking at the choice of radioactive iodine or no treatment at all.  The guilt about not treating is overwhelming but at his age the treatment seems like it would be so stressful for him it isn't worth it.

Here's the Oo de lally Android ad to cheer us up.

• Love 5

Aquarius, thank you so much for your post. My grumpy old man cat is 17, semi-feral, and developing hyperthyroidism (his numbers are above normal but not astronomical). I can't touch him at all so I can't treat him, he won't take the homeopathic medicine in his food, and I'm looking at the choice of radioactive iodine or no treatment at all.  The guilt about not treating is overwhelming but at his age the treatment seems like it would be so stressful for him it isn't worth it.

ABay, if you can afford the iodine treatment (it was $1150 for me in the Bay Area), do it. It has about a 95% - 98% cure rate with one treatment and a 100% cure rate if it has to be repeated for a free second time. The hardest parts are having to leave him at the facility for 3 days then having to take some sensible precautions for dealing with a radioactive cat for 2 weeks afterwards. I just had my own 18-year-old semi-feral treated in May and she's been her normal cranky self since then.

I don't want to hijack this thread any further, so if you want more info PM me.

• Love 6

Scooter's radio-cat treatment cost $1150, too, in Metro Atlanta.  She did fine. She was "only" 13 at the time.

My Scrounge was 17 when she got it - also Bay Area here - and lived to be 21.

• Love 7

I just saw a (new to me) Subaru commercial that had me scaring my cats because I laughed so loudly. The Lab Dog Family stops at a gas station, Dad Lab goes into the store and gets the bathroom key, on a stick no less, then the whole family goes into the bathroom together to drink out of the toilet. Dad then uses the hand dryer to dry his face. Too cute!

• Love 7

Thank you, everyone who responded to my post, either here or in PM. If I do take him for the radioiodine treatment it won't be until November when I'll be able to isolate him at home during the post-treatment quarantine (and by then maybe I'll figure out how to keep the other cat from scratching her way through the closed door). We went through this 2 years ago but when I took him for the pre-treatment xrays the vet said it wasn't time yet.

Back on topic, I'm amused by this commercial for WGN's Person of Interest/Elementary block.

• Love 1