Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Making A Splash

• Start Topic

The designers must create elegant resort wear with swimsuits, but first they must collect their fabric from under the water.

Oh please. Because, you know, simply designing and constructing elegant resort wear in seven minutes isn't enough of a challenge.

• Love 4

I think we were supposed to be reminded heavily of "To Catch a Thief," with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.  It's certainly what popped into my mind almost immediately - visually very reminiscent.  I enjoyed it more than any episode in years.  Like many of the older series (lookin' at you, Criminal Minds, NCIS, SVU, among others) currently stumbling and fumbling for interesting plots, Bones is overdue for retirement.  When it was good, it was very, very good, but now that it's bad, it's horrid.  

and has been for years, but I think you may have meant to post this there :)

Off hand, I don't think you're talking about Project Runway All Stars; on the other hand, I've sadly posted to the wrong forum more than once (not admitting how many times).  I wish that the All Stars had referenced "To Catch a Thief" instead of going to pool diving....it would have been a more stylish idea.

Wow, do not know how that happened!  Will fix ASAP.  ;-)

I think I will be fast-forwarding, as usual. I hate the gimmicks. Just want to see runway, and glimpses of Swatch.

I barely remember who is left on this season...really bad idea to skip two weeks of a mediocre series.

• Love 6

Oh look.  It's Breed Racer.

Not that you can do much new in such a challenge, but I thought both the top two were been there done that. 

Samantha's swimsuit was hideous.  And glad to be able to look at Jay's thighs on the runway yet another week. 

Just the fact that Samantha thought she created something magnificent meant she should not only have been tossed but maybe given a smack alongside the head in parting as well. 

• Love 2

I liked Justin's outfit best.  I'm glad he won.

I absolutely hated Michelle's ...Nigel was right.  I like Dimitry's and for once I liked Helen's.

I liked Jay's dress too.  His bathing suit..not so much.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 5

I don't know who had the worst outfit tonight: Zanna in her white blouse w/red polka dots and horizontally stripped black and beige skirt, or Nigella on The Taste.  I can't really describe her dress except it was blue with horizontal stripes and flowers. 

Tonight's designs were better than I thought they'd be.  I liked Dmitry's the best - I liked how his swimsuit pieces were shaped.  He worked that asymmetry well.  Justin's was pretty good, too, but I thought Dmitry's was more interesting.  Michelle had a good swimsuit but that little dress was just a nothing dress.  Samantha's was the worst.  It seemed like a lot of people had a little trouble with the bikini bottom - there was too much exposure in general.  I noticed Samantha's model walking very quickly when she got to the end of the runway.

Burning question: what is moose knuckle?

• Love 2

Um isn't moose knuckle just mean it looks bigger than a camel toe? That's what I thought so I felt bad for the model, thinking they were implying something about her privates. Am I wrong?

I liked both dmitry's and Justin's but was rooting for Dmitry's. I'm sorry Alyssa, did you just try to tell Dmitry how to win? He knows how to win girlfriend! Hee I love Dmitry.

Michelle I did like that swimsuit a lot but the coverup was just hideous.

• Love 2

I don't know who had the worst outfit tonight: Zanna in her white blouse w/red polka dots and horizontally stripped black and beige skirt, or Nigella on The Taste.  I can't really describe her dress except it was blue with horizontal stripes and flowers. 

Tonight's designs were better than I thought they'd be.  I liked Dmitry's the best - I liked how his swimsuit pieces were shaped.  He worked that asymmetry well.  Justin's was pretty good, too, but I thought Dmitry's was more interesting.  Michelle had a good swimsuit but that little dress was just a nothing dress.  Samantha's was the worst.  It seemed like a lot of people had a little trouble with the bikini bottom - there was too much exposure in general.  I noticed Samantha's model walking very quickly when she got to the end of the runway.

Burning question: what is moose knuckle?

Moose knuckle is the male version of the camel toe... so a guy with too tight of pants has a moose knuckle... cause... lumpy...

I think they were more implying that the fabric was so bad and bunchy and ill fitting that it looked like the model had more business than she does...

Edited by Jjrmt

Moose knuckle is the male counterpart to camel toe. I didn't quite get why they referenced it on the runway, but there are many things I don't get about this show. Like Alyssa's wardrobe, or anything to do with Zanna.

As much as I love Dmitri, I thought his dress was hideous. That fabric looks so cheap. His bathing suit fit really well, though. I thought Justin's whole look was a bore.

Mary Kay makeup is the pits. Did you see the closeup of the clumpy eyelashes?

Why is it acceptable to ogle and leer at men? That whole pool scene was so gratuitous and gross.

• Love 16

They really threw these guys some curveballs today -- get your fabric underwater (much of it was hideous), two looks, switch models...I'm surprised they didn't ask them to complete their looks in 2 hours. 

Michelle's swimsuit wouldn't work on any person with boobs bigger than an A cup. No way. It was ugly. I can't stand her, so I know I'm biased toward her stuff, but that suit was ridiculous. The straps looked to long and the top too low and the judges were raving about it. Ugh. 

I loved Justin's and Dmitri's looks. It was Samantha's time to go. 

• Love 7

Oh, Zanna by miles! When the camera pulled back to show her complete outfit, I involuntarily burst out laughing. Not to mention the fact that she's being held up as a fashion forward mentor on a major design show, where Nigella is judging a cooking competition.

I would auf Michele for no other reason than the hairball on the top of her head in her TH segments. But the ugly tunic she designed would be a good added reason.

Justin designed an interesting swimsuit topped by a perfectly ordinary beach cover-up. Hint to the judges - when the "dress" exposes the entire crotch of the model's swimsuit as she walks, it is not a versatile garment. And the idea that deep blue combined with black is new and interesting is beyond ridiculous, and I have a whole wardrobe from 1985 in trunks in the attic to prove it.

• Love 2

Justin had the only cover up and swimsuit combo that I liked. His dress wasn't anything earth shattering, but the material had some subtle striping to it that was attractive and I loved the swimsuit. Dimitry's swimsuit was the best (IMO), but his cover up had tacky sequins along the top that brought down the taste level.

I didn't like either Michelle's dress or swimsuit and I thought the suit was very unflattering on the model. Also thought Sonjie's pantsuit made the model look pregnant and her suit made the model look very flat chested. Samantha was the one to go though, that Bay Watch suit was horrid.

I don't know what it is about Justin, but I just cannot stand him, and I'm afraid that the previouslytv staffer who wrote the initial article about All Stars and claimed that TPTB will have Justin crowned the winner of this season, was correct.  Alyssa even referred to Justin tonight as the "comeback kid" and he's getting a lot of screen time in the talking heads.  I liked him well enough on his season, but never thought he designed anything especially original then.  With this All Stars  show, I feel pretty much the same way about his designs...some have been good, but most have been forgettable or something one can already buy. Tonight was no exception, while the straps on his swimsuit were nicely placed and the blue cover up had a nice stripe in the fabric,  I felt like it wasn't anything I haven't seen before.  I liked Sonji's tonight although I agreed with Isaac that the top of the cover up didn't need those wide denim panels.  I hate a bandeau bikini top, but I did like the zig zag black across the top of her swimsuit.  It drew the eye up and balanced out the boy cut bottom.  It was very unique and original looking. I would have given the win to Dimitry with Sonji in 2nd place and Justin in 3rd. Dimitry still hasn't won a challenge?  That seems deliberate on the judges part considering how many times he's been in the top.  His swimsuit had the best fit of any of the swimsuits.  It wasn't too low cut, and it covered her bottom and stayed in place, and I've not seen one like it before.

How can Zanna be a mentor?  If she picks her own clothing to wear on the show, than I wouldn't let her near a fashion magazine.  Her clothing choices make Alyssa's look brilliant.  At least Alyssa has the excuse of being very pregnant.

• Love 4

I didn't see camel toe or mooseknuckle.  And the fabric was hideous 80s neon but most all of the fabric was hideous.

I didn't think Michelle's swimsuit was that fabulous.  I did like the fabric manipulation using the elastic but even though the model has a stunning body, I just can't deal with that cup drop and strap starting mid boobage.  That literally could only be a custom swimsuit or a lot of body tape.  Yikes.

Denim and lace is interesting.  But can't imagine wearing it anyplace posh nor anyplace hot.  Time and Place should still trump original design concept.

Ibitha is the new Ibizzzza.  And his girl missed her flight.

Can someone please take away Sonjia's OCC liptars?

• Love 1

How stupid was that crap with the pool boys? And does anyone else wonder if Zanna is actually legally blind & just pulls clothes out of her closet & hopes for the best? As for the clothes:

Liked
Justin-I liked both pieces, but I wasn’t thrilled with the fabric he used for the edging. At least the winner is the only one I straight out liked.

OK
Jay-Too much material in the cover up, bathing suit was meh
Dmitry-I’m putting him in the OK category, but I thought the material he used looked cheap & was too heavy for a resort. He gets an OK because the bathing suit was cute.
Michelle-Liked both pieces surprisingly, wasn’t overdone.

Didn’t Like
Sonija-Really ugly coverup, I liked the material she used for the swimsuit, but the top didn’t do anything good for that model
Helen-Did Helen & Sonija design their cover ups together? The bathing suit was cute though, but not cute enough for me to ignore the cover up
Fabio-The pants & shirt just looked like too much for a resort, & the bathing suit top fit really badly.
Samantha-I didn’t like the cut of the jumpsuit or the bathing suit. I’m OK with her going, but I don’t think she was the worst.

• Love 1

I woke up on the couch with exactly 26 minutes left of the show, just as the first model started down the runway.  Perfecto!

But I put Helen's patch-pocketed lace jumpsuit in the bottom bunch and Fabio's elegant yet easy-going black/white ensemble in the top.  Both middle.  I never EVER get the judging right.

Why is it acceptable to ogle and leer at men? That whole pool scene was so gratuitous and gross.

Thank you! I'm a guy and that started to feel a touch uncomfortable and went on a little too long. If the roles were reversed I'm certain I'd feel the same way. Guess this is a thing now. Whatever. Oink oink to both sides.

• Love 13

The whole thing with the pool boys...yuck! Why are we objectifying anyone on this show? What does this have to do with fashion? Why didn't TPTB have the designers bob for lycra themselves? Why did I have to look upon so many nether regions? Camel toe and moose knuckle: who comes up with these terms? Did Michelle's head grow her hair or vice versa? How could I have missed this show do much these past two weeks?

I have only questions tonight. Oddly enough, I desire no answers. Am simultaneously befuddled and bored.

• Love 8

I didn't like Dimitry's looks - at ALL.  His whole attitude is bugging the shit out of me this season, too.  But I did like Justin's swimsuit and cover-up; go figure.

The lace pants & denim panel big-top look was as hideous as the blue lipstick.  I read on another forum that purple lipstick was "on trend".  I don't care, the trend is fugly.

• Love 3

Alyssa should wear her hair down. She looked so pretty in that USA Today photo (yet another gimmick...sigh). The old lady up-do is doing her no favors. And OMG she is big. I can't even remember what she was wearing I was so transfixed by her size.

• Love 2

Well, she's a tiny little thing. I would think her weight would have to go up by at least a third when you add on the support system for another human in there. I'm even more impressed by how much discipline it must take to stay as slim as she generally is. That runway dress, though, was terrifying. She looked like a fourth of July parade float.

So, is the goal here to see if Michelle can continue to fail to sell her vision to the women of America with two wins under her belt? Because she's definitely getting the Anthony Ryan treatment here. She's actually made me start grading Helen's awfulness on a curve, which is quite an accomplishment.

I liked Fabio's coverup and Justin's suit. 

• Love 1

I'm not size-shaming or calling out someone's weight due to pregnancy, but holy mother of prego's!  How big was AM's baby when she finally delivered?  I'm guessing he was the size of a 1st grader.  She must have been so frickin uncomfortable those last weeks.  And she really has to stop with the Aunt Bea updo's and the Krystal Carrington earrings.  She is aging herself with these choices.  How fresh and natural did she look in the USA Today picture? Less is more.

Justin's was the only one I liked.

Fabio's outfit was cool but I don't remember the suit. 

Loved Samantha's jumpsuit, but ooof! That swim suit was criminal.

Michele's swim suit was constructed well, but I can't stand her.  That "dress" was awful. Not cohesive, not fitted, not flattering.  Why is she still there? And why did she apply several Brillo pads to the top of her head this week?

I thought for sure Sonji would be in the bottom with that whacko top, but once I again anything I recoil from the judges love.  Plus her blue lips are getting to be more distracting.  I think in a few close ups she had blue stain on her teeth.

Dmitry's dress looked ok from distance but on close ups I could see puckering on the seams. It was better than the drapey Grecian goddess thing he started though.

As for Zanna's anti-Garanimal style choices - I'm more convinced each week her assistant's spin her around in a closet blindfolded a la pin the tail on the donkey.

Why was Isaac counting the designers at the start of the runway?  Did he forget that NO ONE went home last week?  So, 8 - 0 = 8 still right?

• Love 1

Is Michelle on something?  Wow, she is acting so strange!  "OHHH, NIGEL!!"  And so on. 

Didn't care much for the challenge, but Jay's dress did remind me a lot of the one Fade did that I loved.  Just so lovely when it comes down the runway.

And the right designer went home.  She's been due for a while now. 

• Love 6

I'm not size-shaming or calling out someone's weight due to pregnancy, but holy mother of prego's!  How big was AM's baby when she finally delivered?  I'm guessing he was the size of a 1st grader.  She must have been so frickin uncomfortable those last weeks.  And she really has to stop with the Aunt Bea updo's and the Krystal Carrington earrings.  She is aging herself with these choices.  How fresh and natural did she look in the USA Today picture? Less is more.

I agree.  She looked uncomfortable and I am sure she was not pleased with her weight gain.  What was the stylist thinking?  Simple clothes with clean lines in dark colors and a sleek, classic hair style with minimal makeup and one bold necklace or bold yet very simple earrings would have done a lot.  

• Love 3

Lots of good-to-ok outfits tonight.

Dmitry:   I liked his dress.  It was very Halston, but the color and draping gave it a more modern look.  The color worked really well with his model's skin color.   His swim suit was pretty, flattering, and interesting.  He definitely was top two.  I'd have been happy if he'd won.

Fabio:   His outfit was meh.  Not horrible, not great, not interesting.   His swimsuit, on the other hand was fairly bad.  Up the model's butt crack, nothing interesting or flattering about the shape.

Helen:  Meh.  Who is going to wear that?  Some middle aged divorcee out at a resort chasing a cabana boy?  The top and pants were fine.  Not horrible.  Just fine.  Her bathing suit was terrible.  That one peacock feather centered on one of the model's breasts looked like a big eye.  That fabric should have been in a one piece, not in a bikini.  Neither top or bottom of the bathing suit fit and neither were flattering.  She should have been raked over the coals a bit.  Why is she still in this competition?

Jay:  I liked Jay's dress more than the designers seemed to.  It moved great. I thought the ecru fabric (or was that leather) along the top was an anchor and contrast to the flowing patterned fabric.  His bathing suit was terrible.  I can see that he wanted that black line down across the boobs as a different sort of look, but neither top or bottom was flattering to the model.  The bottom should have been higher or lower.  It was at an odd place on her body.

Justin:  Gorgeous cover up dress.  I loved the color and the way it moved.   The swim suit was an interesting retro 70's kind of look.  I think the area covering the breasts was oddly shaped, but overall a good look.  He deserved a win, but honestly it could have been Dmitry winning just as well.  They both did well this week.

Michelle:  She should have gone home for that dress.  Jeeze louise, that was horrible.  That pleating or tucking was messy and unflattering.  Bad all around.   Her swimsuit had a nice effect with the color pattern, but I hated how the model's nipples seemed in danger of popping out at any moment.  

Samantha:  Her jumpsuit was pretty enough, but I think that gorgeous color carried it a good bit.   Horrible bathing suit.  Badly shaped, up the model's butt crack, just bad all around.  She probably was reaching the point in the contest where she was due to go home.  If the jumpsuit had been slightly better, it might have saved her this week from her crappy swimsuit.

Sonjia:  More lace, but I think this lace outfit is much more interesting than is Helen's.  Pretty, flattering, and there's a slight potential someone could wear this.  I hope they all get off the lace bandwagon soon or start doing something else with it.    Very nice swimsuit.  I hate bandeau swim tops, but this one looked nice and she did well combining the pattern and the black.   The retro-ish bottoms were cute.

I'm fine with the winners and losers this week, although I think Michelle should have been closer to the bottom for that butt ugly dress.

• Love 2

I can't fault Alyssa for her size due to pregnancy: I mean, she's 43 (?) and pregnancy is harder on a body as you get a little older. Her style choices, on the other hand: HOLY MERDE.

I loved Dmitry's swimsuit, but there's nothing unique about camouflage and I thought his dress was, once again, almost a dance costume. I still love him, though, and if he wins out of this bunch, I'll not be unhappy.

Sam's outster was long overdue. Michelle's swimsuit was only okay, but the dress/ garment was horrible. I do so enjoy watching her THs during the process when she talks about how she's the only one who knows how to make a swimsuit and everyone else is clueless; then she's on the bottom AGAIN: hahahahaha! Hubris, thy name is Portland hipster girl!!

I loved Justin's dress and I *almost* liked the swimsuit, but not quite. There was something just slightly off about it, but he was definitely the best of the group last night.

Unlike the judges, I didn't much care for Sanjia's at all. I HATED the boxy top which looked nothing like anyone would wear at a resort. I guess it could have resembled a 1960s terrycloth beach jacket. The top of her suit was nicely fit and flattering, which definitely is unusual for bandeau, but I didn't dig the bottom. At least the model's entire arse wasn't hanging out, though.

I actually fell asleep for about half of the show in the middle, so I missed Zanna's latest blind closet travesty. I'll have to rewatch and will be back to snark about that later.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 3

Moose knuckle is the male counterpart to camel toe. I didn't quite get why they referenced it on the runway, but there are many things I don't get about this show.

I think it was because the pants were so ill-fitting that they looked like the model was packing male equipment down there.

Yeah, at the end of Zanna's visit, I was stunned to see her entire outfit. Not sure why she thought mixing stripes and polka dots was a good idea. I wouldn't take ANY fashion advice from that woman. On the other hand, I actually kind of liked Alyssa's runway dress with the bold colored shapes. But yes, that woman looks like she's giving birth to a kindergartner or maybe quadruplets.

The designs were a real mixed bag this week (I accidentally typed mixed bad, and nearly left it!). There was no complete look that I liked together. Either the cover up was nice and the swimsuit was awful or vice versa. I actually liked how Michelle manipulated the pattern to disguise the zig-zags, but that little tuft of black elastics sticking up from the belly was kind of weird. Guess she decided at the last minute it was a bit too low cut and decided to offset it somehow? And the less said about her dress, the better. I loved the glittery silver fabric, but why in the world would she think that it would be a good idea to gather the fabric together in the front and back at the middle like she had gotten it caught in her underwear? Oh, and they said mixing lace and denim was a bad idea, and guess what -- it was! The lace was lovely, but those denim panels were so stiff and awful. 

I'm glad Justin won, because his swimsuit looked at least slightly original. Dimitri's swimsuit I've seen before. I will give Dimitri a little credit for whipping up a dress that didn't just look like fabric wrapped around a woman's body after having to scrap his original dress. On the other hand, Justin's DID just look like he draped fabric over his model. It was more like a robe. But it flowed beautifully and the swimsuit was aces, so good on you, Justin.

I was actually afraid Jay might go home because his swimsuit was absolutely hideous. Thankfully Sam's was even more hideous. Although I thought her jumpsuit was nice. I liked the color (Did NOT understand why the judges were raving over the color of Dimitri's dress… I thought it was a drab pale green/brown that didn't suit the model at all. Maybe it looks better in person?). But I really loved Jay's caftan. As soon as it walked down the runway, i was like, 'Yes! A caftan!" I was hoping someone would do one! :-D And I also didn't agree with the complaints from the judges about the leather yoke, because I actually thought it kept the dress sitting nicely on the model and not flapping around on top. 

But whatever. This season is kind of a hot mess overall, and I haven't really agreed with the judges in any episode. Seriously, it's like bizarro world up there on the runway. The outfits that I think are good, the judges hate, and the ones I think are a disaster, the judges practically drool over! I guess I don't know fashion at all! (But I still am pretty sure stripes and polka dots don't go together!) ;-)

• Love 1

I personally love the look of mixing prints when it's done right, but isn't the key to pair different size prints? Zanna's were both huge,  IMO it looked crazy!

Edited by TeresaDee
  • Love 2

I think I misunderstood the concept of this challenge. I thought it was create a resort outfit and then create a bathing suit to go underneath. To my translation, that means the outfit had to be able to stand alone. As much as I liked Justin's outfit, his didn't meet the criteria.  Neither did those who did the lace (only) pants since you would have to have your bathing suit underneath it. I'm sure they are given better instructions and an opportunity to clarify the instructions off screen (I know Top Chef does this, I presume this one would too), but it would have been helpful if they had addressed this in the judging. I really liked Justin's bathing suit, but, to me, his cover up was just a cover up and not a stand alone dress. 

• Love 5
I don't know what it is about Justin, but I just cannot stand him, and I'm afraid that the previouslytv staffer who wrote the initial article about All Stars and claimed that TPTB will have Justin crowned the winner of this season, was correct.  Alyssa even referred to Justin tonight as the "comeback kid" and he's getting a lot of screen time in the talking heads.  I liked him well enough on his season, but never thought he designed anything especially original then.  With this All Stars  show, I feel pretty much the same way about his designs...some have been good, but most have been forgettable or something one can already buy. Tonight was no exception, while the straps on his swimsuit were nicely placed and the blue cover up had a nice stripe in the fabric,  I felt like it wasn't anything I haven't seen before.

I understand, lark37, what you're saying about Justin.  I like him as a person.  His designs are ok in the sense that they look like the stuff I've seen in department stores.  And not that's there is anything really wrong with that.  I like shopping in Banana Republic and Macy's and places like that and alot of their items don't look cheap to me so in turn his stuff doesn't look cheap it just looks like it's been done before.  If Justin wins this competition I would be ok with it I guess.  This show has loooong left its glory days of earlier seasons so I don't expect Ralph Lauren or Alexander McQueen type of outfits from these designers. 

I liked pretty much everyone's designs but I guess the bathing suits that were designed were meant to just stand around in or lay out by the pool in.  I can't imagine actually swimming in a lot of those things, especially in the ocean-one wave and it's bye-bye coverage.

And why the flip were these designers freaking out about getting different models?!  OMG pull it together!  One's torso is too long the other is too tall jeez everyone on that runway is a size 0 with A cup boobs--easy!

Also is Justin's design going to be in US Weekly today??  Or has that already passed?  Alyssa kept saying the winning design will be featured in US Weekly tomorrow but I didn't know if that meant today or what.  I'm not sure when the new issue of US Weekly is released.

• Love 2

I did like that this challenge was a little something different... and there were definitely pieces that I liked, even if there was alot of fug still...

I agreed with the judges on the top two looks. Both Dimitry and Justin had the best swimsuits, in my opinion of course. And I liked both of their cover ups. I was glad to see justin win because I did like his outfit and I thought it had more of a beachy/resorty feel. I don't know how much the outfit really had to stand on it's own, since I took it as it was supposed to be a swimsuit cover up, which in most beach resort type settings, i'd expect a hint of the swimsuit underneath.

I liked the color of Dimitry's with his model's skin tone, and his swimsuit was creative and different.

I didn't understand the middle/bottom look decisions though... even if I was totally fine with the chosen designer to go home. I hated both of the lace looks... the denim with the lace looked ridiculous to me. Not because it was denim, but just because of how blocky it was. I wasn't a big fan of the swimsuit that went underneath either. Helen's black lace outfit didn't work for me either... her swimsuit seemed to fit okay, but it looked sort of boring/off the rack.

Fabio's suit was terrible... the fit was not good, even if the bottoms were meant to be a partial thong... the top was just...ick. I didn't mind his outfit, I think it looked nice, but it definitely didn't look beachy/resort wear to me.

I liked the fabric Michelle used for her dress, but i didn't get  the places she chose to pleat it. I also didn't think much of her swimsuit... I don't know if it was just too revealing everywhere, or if the edging black was too thick or what... but something about it just didn't look right to me.

I liked Jay's dress, but the swimsuit seemed completely unrelated... I know they didn't have to be matchy matchy, but it just seemed so far apart in terms of style compared to the cover up.

The jumpsuit thing was okay, but man oh man, that swimsut was terrible... bad fabric, bad cut, bad fit... wedgie city! I'm okay with that going home... it was time.

At least this episode was more interesting to me... but still... a shadow of how fun PR was back in the day.

• Love 1

I have a sneaky feeling that photo of Alyssa in the mock USA TODAY was an older photo.  On these episodes, she does look good for her age & state of pregnancy, but I really don't think that photo was taken right before she popped. 

As soon as I saw Samantha's jumpsuit color, I thought "Hospital Scrub Green".  Sure, it matched the tacky 80's Lycra print of her suit, but to me it's a terrible color. 

Sonjia's lace just screamed "Bridesmaid" to me.  But then, I cannot abide unlined lace in most forms, so I knew that no matter how amazing her outfit might turn out, I wasn't going to like it.  And I didn't.  I thought the entire look was hideous.

I love Nigel. 

• Love 4

This show is so effin' annoying with their cute little "twists." They never make the show better or the competition more interesting. Switching the models didn't add anything to the show. There was zero point to the "bobbing for fabric" activity. I FF'd right through it. Ditto for the opening restaurant scene. I get that that they're trying to add fresh elements to the show, but every time they do this, it comes across as forced, gimmicky, and lacking in creativity.

I wish each designer had had two models, one for each outfit. It doesn't work for me to have the judges discussing the outfit after the model has removed it. It would've been better if we could see both garments while the judges were discussing them. Either that, or have the judges confine their comments to the garment the model was wearing at the time.

I don't understand why anyone would make a jumpsuit or a one-piece bathing suit without the model's measurements. Or maybe in this case, knowing whatever measurements had been provided were probably wrong. Since they usually are.

None of the garments bowled me over. I thought Sonjia was overpraised as usual.

Nigel was a good judge. It was interesting to have a fashion photographer's perspective. He actually had something relevant and interesting to say and wasn't talking just to have screen time.

• Love 8

I commented to my sister that Michelle is starting to resemble Pepper on American Horror Story.

I can't stop seeing her as Olive Oyl....

So many of these designers are now filling me with hate (Michelle, Dmitry, Helen, especially) that I can barely watch the show any more.

But I did like Justin's swimsuit and cover-up; go figure

I liked both his looks, but what the heck was up with his model?  The way she stood at the end of the runway when she took off the cover to reveal the swimsuit, with her chin pushed forward, looked like something a Top Model reject do.

• Love 3

Justin designed an interesting swimsuit topped by a perfectly ordinary beach cover-up. Hint to the judges - when the "dress" exposes the entire crotch of the model's swimsuit as she walks, it is not a versatile garment. And the idea that deep blue combined with black is new and interesting is beyond ridiculous, and I have a whole wardrobe from 1985 in trunks in the attic to prove it.

Yes. Black and royal blue were the go to 80s colors, and Justin's swimsuit screamed 80s. I've seen suits like it before and usually done better because they were simpler. The trim he added made it look cheap and tacky. 

I think I misunderstood the concept of this challenge. I thought it was create a resort outfit and then create a bathing suit to go underneath. To my translation, that means the outfit had to be able to stand alone. As much as I liked Justin's outfit, his didn't meet the criteria.  Neither did those who did the lace (only) pants since you would have to have your bathing suit underneath it. I'm sure they are given better instructions and an opportunity to clarify the instructions off screen (I know Top Chef does this, I presume this one would too), but it would have been helpful if they had addressed this in the judging. I really liked Justin's bathing suit, but, to me, his cover up was just a cover up and not a stand alone dress. 

Again, yes. It sounded to me like you were supposed to make an actual garment along with the swimsuit. No one would ever wear Justin's top anywhere but at the pool or on the beach. Besides, it looked like he went to Kmart, or maybe Wallmart, and picked the cheesiest net curtains and threw them over his model. Boring nothingburger.

Michelle looked awful in the opening segments. I thought she had cut her hair but she just had it fashioned into some kind of hair turd on top of her head. Gawd, she's annoying. And her dress made her model look pregnant. They didn't really show much of the back, but it looked equally bad.

I thought Fabio's garment was the most elegant. It looked like something someone with the money to travel to resorts would buy. His swimsuit was regrettable, though.

It was Sam's time to go. Actually, it was her time several weeks ago.

And, yeah, Isaac??? They didn't eliminate anybody last episode, so there were the same number of people there. Sheesh.

• Love 2