Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I didn't know I shared a birthday with John Munch.  I knew about Obama and the Duchess of Sussex, and also the Queen Mum.  

Happy Birthday to you as well.  I am trying to figure out where to go to get a dirty martini and a steak.

I'm planning curbside pickup from Red Lobster and opening a bottle of wine.  

• Love 15

If we have a hurricane in my neck of the woods I’m totally screwed. I’ve been running outside to my patio all afternoon to re-cover my patio furniture and pick up planters that have blown over. I also had to pick up a chair that must weigh 30 pounds that was blown over and moved 10 feet or so, taking with it a large planter on wheels that got pushed into the table, which then moved and pushed the umbrella with 50 lb base about a foot from its original location. The winds have been far worse than the rain today, at least where I’m at.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Something that covid has taken from me are my concerts! This is HUGE to me.  Music feeds my soul. It’s hard to explain.  With my crew (friends who are like family that share my passion.) we thrive on the music, the sharing, the camaraderie,  etc.  If you want a super experience check out 25th Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame performances on Amazon prime.  OMG!!! I can’t describe how good it is. Takes you to another time and place! I don’t think you have to like rock n roll. Lol It includes, Crosby, Stills, Nash, James Taylor, Bruce, Stones, Sting, U 2, Stevie, Smokey, Raitt, Fergie, Simon, Garfunkel, Sam Moore of Soul Man!!!    I’m watching now......awesome!

@SunnyBeBe Thank you for the recommendation! I watched it this morning with my grandsons while I was sitting. We all loved it.  They're only 18 months, but we have to move beyond Elmo. I'd be happy to hear of any others you've found. 

• Love 8

Happy Birthday ladies! 

The tropical storm has been moving through the area for a while now. Very windy and then bam, crazy, crazy mad bursts of wind.

I would like 5 days of dry, high 70s, with a soft breeze.

• Love 7

Zoomama, sending thoughts and prayers your way!

10 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also made it through the storm just fine.  Woke up to a large tree branch on my driveway, but no other damage.  Didn't have to go in to work until 12, so I could lounge around on my birthday morning.  

Happy birthday! I remember you mentioning on one of the threads you were a fellow early August person. Mine was yesterday. LOL 

7 hours ago, Suzn said:

It's my birthday, too!  Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday! 🙂

• Love 7
Just now, Zella said:

Zoomama, sending thoughts and prayers your way!

Happy birthday! I remember you mentioning on one of the threads you were a fellow early August person. Mine was yesterday. LOL 

Happy birthday! 🙂

A belated Happy Birthday to you, too! 😄

• Love 8

Crazy winds here as well, but we kept power. We seem to be lucky that way for whatever reason, plus, even if we do lose it, our town has its own public utilities, separate from Eversource, which seems to be pretty much ubiquitous in our part of New England, so it doesn't take nearly as long for us to regain power if it does go out. In our seven and a half years here we have never lost power for more than two hours or so. My mom, half an hour away, lost power, but says she is fine for now, and has next door neighbors who look out for her. If she's still out of power tomorrow, we will go bring her here. Daughter and son-in-law, 15 minutes away, also lost power so they and the Grand-Jynlet are spending the night. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

Happy belated birthday, Zella, you crazy hillbilly (and hopefully you remember us joking about that, lol)! 🤣

Bahahaha no offense taken! I think I was actually the one who first self-applied the term here. 😜

And thanks to all of you for the belated birthday wishes. 🙂 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I spent the day yesterday without power and cleaning up after the storm. Big mess. Many trees and branches down. Lots of neighbors lost trees. Around here they make you put your yard waste in these paper bags that are approx 4’ tall. I have filled 8 of them. It’s a crapshoot if one of my crepe myrtles makes it, but my neighbor and I are going to cut it back (a lot) and see if that helps. I have a young man that helps with things when necessary. For instance he had to rehang my hanging baskets as the porch hanger is about 16’ feet up and I’m not so good on ladder anymore. At the end of the day I asked him if he had put all the tools away. He said yes, so I pushed the button to close the garage door. All of a sudden there was a noise and the door stopped coming down.  He had left a shovel in the track so now I need the repairman to come out and fix it. I’m friends with his mother, so I don’t want to replace him, but at the age of 28 you’d think would use his brain. I think he’s been so coddled/spoiled that he has no good sense. 

Happy Belated Birthday to @Zella, @Suzn, and @Ohiopirate02 

@zoomama I’m concerned about your lung spots and hope they turn out to be artifacts (shadows not actual spots) or something easily treatable. I’ll keep you in my prayers for a good outcome. 

@CouchTater I have a 2 cat house and will see you over on the Pet Thread, but congratulations on the new additions to your family. 

• Love 11

Happy belated B-day @Zella.

Yikes, glad the storm has passed. Had a few flickers of a power outage, but it stayed on. Sirens all night and still this morning. Lost cable about 10pm. Woke up this morning with the cable still out and we lost water pressure and then we lost cell service. I looked at my husband and half laughed and half cried. It had been a long day and evening and now we were cut off from the world. My brief time as a pioneer woman has passed and everything is restored now.

Feeling grateful though, there are scattered power outages all through New England. Some might be without for days.

If anyone knows what message God or the universe is sending to us all in 2020, please let me know. I'm ready to do a message dance to say, Okay, okay, we got it.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

@SunnyBeBe Thank you for the recommendation! I watched it this morning with my grandsons while I was sitting. We all loved it.  They're only 18 months, but we have to move beyond Elmo. I'd be happy to hear of any others you've found. 

I'm glad you and the boys enjoyed it.  I will certainly be watching it again.  This weekend, I'll likely check out a new film, that is similar.  I'll let you know if I find one that is as entertaining.  In the meantime, I'd suggest a VERY entertaining movie musical.  It's a different kind of thing, but, still very captivating. I've seen multiple times and will watch it many more.   Lots of fun stuff like Crockodile Rock,  Saturday Night, etc. 

• Love 3

I am so glad, @Christina87! If only one of the PTB for my college would make the same slip-up. We've got a few opportunities coming up for that to happen before classes begin.

I've gotten three mass emails from the head of the classified staff asking for volunteers to stand at all the entrances and hand out masks to students who aren't wearing them and gently remind them of the rules. Yeah, no. All of our building now have only have one entrance.  I'm not exposing myself to unmasked students in the main areas where social distancing isn't going to be possible.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you watch 90 Day Fiance?

No. But I read the forums and I'm no fan of bgl. My hubby, who isn't a huge dog fan, fell in love with this little one. He wanted to call her Baby Girl and I agreed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, beckie said:

No. But I read the forums and I'm no fan of bgl. My hubby, who isn't a huge dog fan, fell in love with this little one. He wanted to call her Baby Girl and I agreed.

I get it! It sure is cute. 

• Love 2

@beckie-congrats on your new addition!  I'm sure Baby Girl will be a happy girl!
@CouchTater-congrats on your new additions!  They are adorable!
@zoomama-you will be in my thoughts and prayers in the coming days & weeks.  Please take good care of yourself ♥
@Christina87-that has to be a huge amount of stress taken off your shoulders!  Good luck with your planning.

Happy Belated Birthday gals!!  I hope you were able to just relax a bit and celebrate!

I'm bringing a post from @Jynnan tonnix from...insert Duggar family here...about getting a new fridge.  When we bought our house in 2006, we needed a new fridge ASAP since the on that was left was literally falling apart.  We ended up getting a Samsung from either Lowe's or Best Buy.  Things were going great until September 2010.  We had to have someone come out twice, which led to getting the computer replaced.  Twice.  Thankfully, it was still under Samsung warranty, so we were only out the first service call.  Turns out, Samsung requires one of the authorized repair facilities to do anything, but they gave me the name/number for 3 or 4 in our area.  While we were waiting for the second computer to arrive, my dad got sick.  I was told someone had to be home at such time or the part would be returned, and we would have to set up another time.  Meanwhile, I'm 300 miles away watching my father die.  That chick got an earful during that phone call.  Things were going ok until January 2019.  The freezer decided it didn't want to work anymore.  It was the condenser AND the damn computer again.  After I told him everything that happened, he flat out said he wouldn't waste the money to repair it as it would be the same cost to replace it.  And that's what we did.  We ended up getting an LG from Lowe's, and while it's a bit too big for the space, I am beyond thrilled with it.  It even has the "knock" feature on the glass door.  It's helpful at times, but it's more fun to just play with it!!    We named her Lucinda 😉 

image.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm glad you and the boys enjoyed it.  I will certainly be watching it again.  This weekend, I'll likely check out a new film, that is similar.  I'll let you know if I find one that is as entertaining.  In the meantime, I'd suggest a VERY entertaining movie musical.  It's a different kind of thing, but, still very captivating. I've seen multiple times and will watch it many more.   Lots of fun stuff like Crockodile Rock,  Saturday Night, etc. 

I've seen Rocketman; loved the music! Have you seen Yesterday?

Edited by realityfan26
  • Love 3
55 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I was relieved to hear today that my City of Chicago grands won't be going back to school in person until at least November. I was so worried.

I saw that yesterday as well. Mostly the smaller independent private schools will be going back, but the public schools (both city and suburban) are leaning towards remote. I know you were worried. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I've seen Rocketman; loved the music! Have you seen Yesterday?

I loved Yesterday!

OH! And I've been watching Hamilton so much my husband started teasing me about my Lin-Manuel crush. 😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Happy belated birthday, Zella! 🎂💐🎉🥂

I have close relatives in your “neighborhood,” Joplin and Fayetteville!

Oh that's fun! 😄 

• Love 2

I am thankful my mom is still alive and she lives about 10 minutes away from me. But since all of this started back in March she is driving me crazy.  She is ANGRY at her sister and brother "because they are acting like nothing is happening and nothing is happening to them" (not that she wants anything to happen to them).  Then we have forever friends and the wife has a birthday this week so her sisters are coming in to visit. My mom said "well I guess they are going to go out to eat."  The couple has been out to eat once since March and they used to go out three or four times a week.  She is so jealous of people and it's so hard for me.  I go to work three days a week because I'm required to, but other than that I'm not doing much either. I need a hair cut. I'm not wearing sandals because I did a home pedicure and I need to re-do it. I get being jealous, but I don't know how much longer I can handle this.  I'm an only child and my dad passed away a few years ago, so it's just the two of us.  I'm single and not dating anyone right now. There are times I want to break down, but I can't, I have to keep on going and be strong for her. When my dad was dying I left many tears between Georgia and Tennessee because when I saw her I wasn't able to cry because it was her husband (no, at that point he wasn't my dad).    When will someone be the one to let me be the one to break down?   Sorry for the vent, but I'm just having a bad day.  

1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

I am thankful my mom is still alive and she lives about 10 minutes away from me. But since all of this started back in March she is driving me crazy.  She is ANGRY at her sister and brother "because they are acting like nothing is happening and nothing is happening to them" (not that she wants anything to happen to them).  Then we have forever friends and the wife has a birthday this week so her sisters are coming in to visit. My mom said "well I guess they are going to go out to eat."  The couple has been out to eat once since March and they used to go out three or four times a week.  She is so jealous of people and it's so hard for me.  I go to work three days a week because I'm required to, but other than that I'm not doing much either. I need a hair cut. I'm not wearing sandals because I did a home pedicure and I need to re-do it. I get being jealous, but I don't know how much longer I can handle this.  I'm an only child and my dad passed away a few years ago, so it's just the two of us.  I'm single and not dating anyone right now. There are times I want to break down, but I can't, I have to keep on going and be strong for her. When my dad was dying I left many tears between Georgia and Tennessee because when I saw her I wasn't able to cry because it was her husband (no, at that point he wasn't my dad).    When will someone be the one to let me be the one to break down?   Sorry for the vent, but I'm just having a bad day.  

So, so sorry you're having a hard time. This pandemic is taking its toll on almost everyone. The hard days seem harder and a lot of the good days seem to have a cloud hanging over them. 

Like many, your mom is probably a little more scared and angry, than jealous. If you can, just validate and move on to a different topic.

Its okay not to be strong for our parents, we all are entitled, and should, feel our emotions. I'm wondering what the outcome would be if you did break down to your mom? Would she be sympathetic, angry, invalidating?

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So, so sorry you're having a hard time. This pandemic is taking its toll on almost everyone. The hard days seem harder and a lot of the good days seem to have a cloud hanging over them. 

Like many, your mom is probably a little more scared and angry, than jealous. If you can, just validate and move on to a different topic.

Its okay not to be strong for our parents, we all are entitled, and should, feel our emotions. I'm wondering what the outcome would be if you did break down to your mom? Would she be sympathetic, angry, invalidating?

I do think she is angry and jealous that some people haven't put their lives on hold like she has.  Since she has, she feels like everyone else should.  

Work is really rough lately and there are days I need to vent and she says "I remember what it was like to have to work" and then she changes the subject.   If I come close to breaking down she tells me she knows how I feel and changes the subject.  So it's easier to keep quiet.  

@ChiCricket - I'm your friend! You've been a wonderful friend to me and I appreciate you and learn from you. 

@Lisa418722 I get the jealousy too and of course, we don't want anyone to get sick. It must be hard to listen to your mother complain so much. My mom is difficult to talk to. She'll ask a question and interrupt to talk about "her stuff" as I'm answering. That drives me crazy!

@Christina87, I'm so glad you'll be having remote learning. It currently appears that all of my school age grands will be at least partially attending in person school and it terrifies me. 3 in a private school and 1 public. I hope those decisions change to remote learning. I do think that any school that opens will soon thereafter close due to outbreak, but that is not a cheering thought! If my local granddaughter does go to school, I don't think we'll visit anymore. We're always masked, but it seems too risky, especially when outdoor visiting is no longer an option. I hate the times we are living through, but I'm thankful to be alive!

• Love 8
37 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I do think she is angry and jealous that some people haven't put their lives on hold like she has.  Since she has, she feels like everyone else should.  

Work is really rough lately and there are days I need to vent and she says "I remember what it was like to have to work" and then she changes the subject.   If I come close to breaking down she tells me she knows how I feel and changes the subject.  So it's easier to keep quiet.  

Venting is a great thing to do, maybe your mom isn't the right person to vent to. But if you do vent to her, ask her questions like, what did you do when work was rough, how do you keep from breaking down. Subtly challenge her into being helpful to you.

Anyway, here is a good place to vent. Like I said earlier, these times are challenging, and work and family can suck under the best circumstances. Big hugs to you.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

((((Hugs)))) I know what it’s like to be the rock. Of course you love your mother and want to be strong for her, but you’re a human being with needs too. 

Do you have any close friends you could vent to? These times are hard for everyone. My family is safe and healthy and secure but this pandemic has taken away ALL THE FUN (besides tv) and lawdy between waiting on the elderly and then my 32yrs old toddler sister who’s so bratty because Mom is home it’s EXHAUSTING. Anyone that’s not you can get on your nerves, no matter how much you love them. 

If you feel comfortable I would put on a mask and go get a pedicure- it would make you feel a lot better. 

• Love 10