Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I’m so sorry for everyone that has losses, illness & storm damage. Can it be mid 2021 already with a vaccine available for all?

On a brighter note, happy birthday to everyone who has celebrated recently. We were to go to my granddaughter’s 3rd bday party last Saturday,  but son & DIL had gone camping the weekend prior & one in the group tested positive. Son & DIL didn’t interact with her closely, but they’re not taking chances.

• Love 5
On 8/9/2020 at 5:46 AM, Westiepeach said:

So, since today is my birthday, I will expect nothing less than a party held at the mall’s food court. Somebody needs to bring the Little Caesar’s Pizza and the Walmart brand 2-liter soft drinks. And someone of course needs to make cupcakes! We have a lot of August birthdays here, so we can have a great big party and celebrate all of us! Masks are NOT allowed, because, well, Jesus. See you all at noon! 🎂🎉🎈🎁🤪

Happy Birthday Rainbow GIF by Justin

@Westiepeach !

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

I’m so sorry for everyone that has losses, illness & storm damage. Can it be mid 2021 already with a vaccine available for all?

On a brighter note, happy birthday to everyone who has celebrated recently. We were to go to my granddaughter’s 3rd bday party last Saturday,  but son & DIL had gone camping the weekend prior & one in the group tested positive. Son & DIL didn’t interact with her closely, but they’re not taking chances.

I am sorry you could not celebrate your granddaughter’s Bday with her. 

• Love 5

When I don’t get here for a few days and have many notifications I get scared. Usually rightly so. It means something bad has happened to one of y’all and this absence was no exception. @Oldernowiser I’m very sorry about the loss of your Mom. No matter the circumstances it is never easy. @zoomama Glad to hear that some major problems have been eliminated from your diagnosis. @Jenniferbug That’s sounds like my worst nightmare. I’m glad you were able to pick up up your husband and get the whole family to the basement before it hit the fan. 
 I’m having a strong distaste for 2020. So little good news or happy things to share. Is it over yet? My heart is breaking for everyone. 
Count me in as another person who uses slashes on their 7’s. 

• Love 9

Jenniferbug, I'm glad you and the family are safe! You're doing the right thing, take lots of pictures and document everything before you clean anything up. I hope the power comes back on sooner rather than later, that's the worst in the hot summer. I saw the weather notices on CNN breaking news today and it sounds like it was bad and hit a really big area across multiple states. WTF, 2020? Enough already!

zoomama, I'm glad you're finally getting answers and they are positive. A friend of mine had to do the camera down her throat recently and she says while it was uncomfortable it wasn't terrible and it was over fairly quickly. 

• Love 10

@Jenniferbug It's both really frustrating and yet I am so glad things aren't worse. Your family is safe, your house is okay, you don't have to go a shelter during a pandemic, etc. I realise it's upsetting especially since we had storm with the same kind of damage, although not nearly as severe as your damage. I hope you and your family stay safe. I'm sending my sympathies and good wishes. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

It has been a day.

Around 10:45 this morning my phone alerted me that we were in a severe thunderstorm warning, then I saw some messages from friends who live further west saying they were in basements with power off and very frightened due to the wind.  Husband was out for a run (he had dropped his car off for repairs and had decided to run the few miles home), so I called him, buckled the kids into the car, and picked him up quick since it wasn't doing anything at the moment. Not even 10 minutes after we got home, the sky was black, winds were crazy, and sirens were blowing to get to the basement. We could hear thump after thump of branches falling. We were in the basement for around 90 minutes total, thankfully my kids had their Kindles Kindles enough to play games. 

Thankfully we are safe. Our house is more or less fine. Our yard is a disaster. Huge chunks of our wooden privacy fence are gone. A healthy tree completely split in half, crushed my kids swingset (new to us this summer), took out our fire pit and grill, and barely missed the house (damaged the gutters and hit hard enough to knock pictures off the wall inside). Branches everywhere in the back and front yard. We have a few massive branches down in the side yard and one on the roof of our garage. I'm not even sure what we will do to clean them up. Power is out for most of the state. Phone lines are down in my small town so we can't get hold of insurance so aren't sure what to move and what not to. We're taking multiple pictures of everything just in case. I don't even want to think about how much money we will have to spend (insurance will kick in, but doubt they will cover the full cost of replacing everything that needs repaired). There goes what savings we have 😪 And I will probably have to use vacation time for today until we get power and internet back (estimates right now say Wednesday), because even though the majority of my company is affected, they won't care that we can't work. And we have freezers full of food in the basement just waiting to spoil. 

So. Today sucked. 2020 sucks- even the weather is out to get us. I just needed to vent for a minute, and now I have to preserve phone battery for as long as possible. 

Wow, @Jenniferbug! I'm glad you got your husband home safe before the storm. One beautiful summer day, several years ago, I was walking and admiring the clouds, about 1/2 mile from home, when I realized a storm was forming behind me. I quickened my pace amid tree limbs falling and rushing wind and considered going into our neighborhood clubhouse to wait it out or racing home. A woman with a baby in her car offered me a ride and yes, I did get in a car with a stranger! Turned out she was a neighbor from about 1/2 block from my home. I was so thankful. It was a microburst with lots of trees down. So scary! Anyway, all of the damage is stuff. Luckily your family is safe and sound! 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Is quarantine 15 a real thing? It should be.

I’m sure it is. Lack of movement, boredom and comfort is a recipe for weight gain. Everyone I know has been drinking more alcohol and/or eating more sweets during these last months. 

I said when we went into quarantine I was NOT gaining weight- I’m already fat no need to add to the problem. I lost 8lbs at the beginning just cooking from scratch all the time and watching portions. I gained back 7 lbs after Mr Norris died with the grief eating, I am now back down 5. I’d like to lose another 10 before my bday. (October) Winter is coming and my pants will be comfortable damn it. I also tend to be my slimmest after winter because I’m bundled in form fitting clothes (satiety signal) and I socialize less so less eating. 

Summer means going out all the time, dresses and skirts and stretchy things. I just have to weigh once a week or every other week to stay on top of it. 

• Love 9
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 11:02 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Has anyone else been watching these brothers discover classic music--

I could watch these boys all day.  

Our boys are famous!  My local news did a story on them last night and they hit the big time being featured on The Today Show this morning!  It seems that their video of Phil Collins' ,Something in the Air' now has over a million views and the song itself is now back on the charts, thanks to them.  I feel like a proud auntie!

• LOL 3
  • Love 19
On 8/8/2020 at 10:02 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Has anyone else been watching these brothers discover classic music--

I could watch these boys all day.  

I do enjoy watching them react to the ' new to them'  music. Hopefully they also pass on the joy to their friends.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

When my grandfather was dying he was calling his wife’s name. She died shortly before him. I do think our loved ones come for us. I have such vivid dreams of my mom I know she’s with me visiting. She deteriorated so quickly I didn’t get to say goodbye or be there when she died. At least I get to see her in my dreams. 

Once I almost drowned. I experienced going to paradise and my grandparents picked me up and hugged me and told me to go back. Brains are weird. That was an interesting vision/hallucination/brain needing oxygen. 

Sorry for the novel.

I have a novel too.  The night my Mother was buried, late that night, it was pouring rain and the winds were howling like in a movie.  The tree were shaking and there was thunder and lightning too.  I was up and could swear my Mother went up to heaven in the midst of all that.  Her grave was the only one under a big tree.  Weird, I know, but I believe in certain things.  We don’t know what happens.  Sorry to anyone who is grossed out by this.

• Love 11

Quof, that's amazing, congrats!

I've lost 50+ pounds over the last year and a half and I'm down a few more pounds since quarantine started (I don't get on the scale anymore since I try not to get obsessive with numbers). I've loosened up my modified low carb lifestyle but I'm working out a lot more now because it's so much easier for me to do at home. I don't think I ever want to go back into the office full time again. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Quof said:

I lost 70+ pounds in 2018, and have maintained my goal weight since then, within a 2 pound range. I worried that I would eat my feelings through quarantine.  I weigh myself every single day, and am down 5 pounds.   I also put on pants with a button and zipper at least a couple of times a week. 

Great for you! Button and zipper are EVERYTHING!

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I do enjoy watching them react to the ' new to them'  music. Hopefully they also pass on the joy to their friends.

this link sent me off on a two hour journey enjoying the videos of these kids.  how fun are they? especially loved when they heard aerosmith for the first time --- very cool!

• Love 11
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Is quarantine 15 a real thing? It should be.

Well I’ve only gained 8 so I rushed to the freezer and grabbed one of those Magum ice cream pops and sat here eating it without guilt  before writing this. It was cold, creamy and I loved the bits of almond in the chocolate. Debating about a second lol. Thank you GalaxyChaser. I lost all the food in my freezer during the hurricane so today I bought 4 kinds of desserts. Not buying any more meat or good food in bulk until the storm season is over. I had forgotten about the ice cream until now as I’m not used eating treats. 

• Love 10

I like how they get music. even if it is not their usual music. they get the beat right off, the one fingers an imaginary guitar or keyboard. they appreciate percussion of any and all kinds. they listen to the words and comment on that.

I contrast these guys with every fundie musician that saws away at a violin, hammers away at a piano, makes a CD singing hymns when they can't carry a tune, etc

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Quof said:

I lost 70+ pounds in 2018, and have maintained my goal weight since then, within a 2 pound range. I worried that I would eat my feelings through quarantine.  I weigh myself every single day, and am down 5 pounds.   I also put on pants with a button and zipper at least a couple of times a week. 

Great job on your weight loss and keeping it off, @Quof.

I don’t care if I ever wear anything with a button or zipper again. I am hardly in a bra most days. But, I do try to exercise at least three to four times a week. That makes it ok, right? 

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 13

So the bad news- still no power. Still no estimate for when we may have power. 

But the good news- the car repair place called yesterday and said since they don't have power, we could pick up my husband's car, which then gave us a vehicle to leave and to charge electronics in (mine is trapped in our garage, we can't get the release on the electric door to open and it's almost out of gas anyway). My husband's fall sports team was rounded up by one of the moms and driven to our house to help with the clean up. It took about 5 hours, but they were able to help us chop and pile everything by the curb. They had been at another house before ours and headed to another after, and I think they're out again today so those boys are amazing. We were able to drive to a nearby town that wasn't hit as hard to get dinner and top off the gas tank. We'll probably do the same tonight. 

We're surviving. We're so lucky compared to others who had much worse damage to their homes. Thanks everyone for the well wishes! ❤

IMG9575441.jpg

• Love 19
On 8/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Zella said:

I'm ridiculously happy with how many of my fellow seven slashers are on here. I've never met anyone else in person who does that. 

Anyone else slash their Zs as well? (I also started slashing 7s in French class in seventh grade.)

• Love 2

On the topic of perfume:

Men are as bad as women with dousing themselves with cologne/aftershave. If I can smell you half a block away and gag it’s too much.

I am sensitive to perfume smells and rarely wear any perfume. 

And OMG take a shower and don’t try to cover severe body odor with cologne/perfume. It just makes you smell worse. Gag.

• Love 8

I also slash my 7s! The fact several of you mentioned you started doing that in French class intrigued me since I am French Canadian (Québécoise to be precise) and I don't recall my teachers enforcing or even teaching us to write 7s that way. Maybe it's more of a European French thing (that then may also translate into how French is taught around the world including the US, given the fact Metropolitan French is the dominant variety). Who knows.

In my case I started slashing my 7s in my early twenties - I had a job where I often had to write short notes to coworkers and even to patients sometimes (with info such as phone or file numbers) and so I wanted to avoid any possible confusion (even though my handwriting is quite clear to start with). Definitely a side effect of being an extreme stickler for clarity 😁

Edited by PinkyCupcake
  • Love 3

I slash my sevens (and my z's). I have no idea why. But I did have a great-aunt who referred to it as "European," so maybe you're on to something, PinkyCupcake!

I also curve up the bottoms of my lower case t's when printing, which I copied from a beloved middle school teacher.

• Love 4
On 8/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, Silver Bells said:

I have a novel too.  The night my Mother was buried, late that night, it was pouring rain and the winds were howling like in a movie.  The tree were shaking and there was thunder and lightning too.  I was up and could swear my Mother went up to heaven in the midst of all that.  Her grave was the only one under a big tree.  Weird, I know, but I believe in certain things.  We don’t know what happens.  Sorry to anyone who is grossed out by this.

My papa died in his bed, peacefully in his sleep.  My grandmother awoke to find him already gone, looking back at a picture of his mother and two aunts from when they were young ladies. I have no doubt in my mind that your loved ones come to get you and help you transition so you’re not afraid.  I find the thought very comforting.  

• Love 15

It is my impression that it is European. I'm pretty sure the Spanish teacher who I picked it up from was from Spain. 

I, alas, do not slash my Zs. I've been informed by multiple people that my Ss and Zs do not look like real letters. Not sure if slashing the Z would help that or just make it worse. LOL

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

My papa died in his bed, peacefully in his sleep.  My grandmother awoke to find him already gone, looking back at a picture of his mother and two aunts from when they were young ladies. I have no doubt in my mind that your loved ones come to get you and help you transition so you’re not afraid.  I find the thought very comforting.  

Thank you for that.  I find it comforting also.  I was afraid I went too far with my story.  I didn’t want to depress anyone, as we all have so much on our plates right now in this crazy world.  Then again, I believe in miracles too when people are told there is no hope.  

• Love 10
On 8/8/2020 at 5:18 PM, emma675 said:

I love the one where they listen to Phil Collins! They are adorable and so appreciative of different genres and time periods of music.

marypat57, I highly recommend a battery powered fan and one of those solar chargers with multiple USB ports. 

You people!!!  I’d never seen anything about them, so I chased that rabbit down it’s hole.  And of COURSE had to watch them for THREE HOURS.  Absolutely worth it, and I’ve successfully managed to hook several more suckers.  I loved the Phill Collins when the drum segment (one of the most recognized drum segments in recorded history, I’d venture) breaks in.  Their faces!!!  But I gotta tell you, Jolene stole my heart!!!  Those two hip hoppin black boys loved Dolly!!!  I wish I could’ve been a fly on the wall when Dolly watched that video of them listening to her.  I bet she loved it!!  The other one that tore my skin a little was Sound of Silence [by the man/band I can never recall the name of but looks like he eats kittens and babies for breakfast].  What a reaction!  I thought the one might cry.  And he kept saying “he’s SAYIN something right there!!”   We were driving down the road and my husband had his iPod hooked in the first time I heard that.  I was STUNNED.  First, the version is ridiculous beautiful.  Second, MY husband knew of this song???  Stunned, I say.  

you know, I’ve been hearing that song for 40(?) years and Ive always loved it, but have never been quite sure of the message, myself.  He was saying SOMEthing though. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Thank you for that.  I find it comforting also.  I was afraid I went too far with my story.  I didn’t want to depress anyone, as we all have so much on our plates right now in this crazy world.  Then again, I believe in miracles too when people are told there is no hope.  

I want to add something to that as well.  My mother had dementia (fairly severe) and was bed bound for the last 3 months of her life.  She would gesture vaguely and talk to “people”.  One day she mentioned “Daddy”.  Which is what I called my father, how she referred to MY father when speaking to me, and what she called her own father.  My father passed 4 years before Mama.  So when she said “Daddy”, I wasn’t sure which Daddy.  I said “Mama.  Do you SEE Daddy?”  (Meaning my own).  She nodded emphatically.  “Yeah!!  I see Mama too!”
I have such mixed emotions, tumbling wild and loose, my faith and my belief system  are solidly in the shaky column right now.  I no longer have the concrete foundation I once had.  But I hope I hope I hope that this much is true:  that when I get to the end, the loved ones before me are waiting for me right there.  To go wherever “there” is.  My Daddy was the biggest cheerleader I ever had, ever.  He believed, honestly believed I could do whatever I said.  Never once, not ONCE questioned my ability to get’er done.  So yeah.  I heard my Mama say it with gusto “yeah, and I see Mama too”.  I want that.  I.Want.That.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

You people!!!  I’d never seen anything about them, so I chased that rabbit down it’s hole.  And of COURSE had to watch them for THREE HOURS.  Absolutely worth it, and I’ve successfully managed to hook several more suckers.  I loved the Phill Collins when the drum segment (one of the most recognized drum segments in recorded history, I’d venture) breaks in.  Their faces!!!  But I gotta tell you, Jolene stole my heart!!!  Those two hip hoppin black boys loved Dolly!!!  I wish I could’ve been a fly on the wall when Dolly watched that video of them listening to her.  I bet she loved it!!  The other one that tore my skin a little was Sound of Silence [by the man/band I can never recall the name of but looks like he eats kittens and babies for breakfast].  What a reaction!  I thought the one might cry.  And he kept saying “he’s SAYIN something right there!!”   We were driving down the road and my husband had his iPod hooked in the first time I heard that.  I was STUNNED.  First, the version is ridiculous beautiful.  Second, MY husband knew of this song???  Stunned, I say.  

you know, I’ve been hearing that song for 40(?) years and Ive always loved it, but have never been quite sure of the message, myself.  He was saying SOMEthing though. 

I think you mean Disturbed doing the cover of Sound of Silence. Definitely goosebump territory. You can go down another rabbit hole watching other reactors watch that for the first time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I think you mean Disturbed doing the cover of Sound of Silence. Definitely goosebump territory. You can go down another rabbit hole watching other reactors watch that for the first time.

I didn't even know reaction videos were a "thing". I still haven't watched the twins enough. I need to have the weekend free to watch youtube!

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I like them both but they are very different.

I like the original, but it's never made the impression on me that the cover did. Which is kind of weird in a way because that's more my speed music-wise than Disturbed. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Zella said:

I like the original, but it's never made the impression on me that the cover did. Which is kind of weird in a way because that's more my speed music-wise than Disturbed. 

Yes, I never thought I would like a song my a heavy metal group. I tend to like gospel, light jazz and old musicals... Oklahoma, Sound of Music ect.  Surprises the heck out of me that I keep going back to it. It's the same with the song Imagine, especially Pentatonix cover, I do not care for the theology of the song but it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and I keep going back to it.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes, I never thought I would like a song my a heavy metal group. I tend to like gospel, light jazz and old musicals... Oklahoma, Sound of Music ect.  Surprises the heck out of me that I keep going back to it. It's the same with the song Imagine, especially Pentatonix cover, I do not care for the theology of the song but it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it and I keep going back to it.

Yeah my taste veers more toward folk, indie, alternative. I listen to perhaps embarrassing amounts of cello rock. LOL

I do like a lot of classic rock and occasionally break out some 80s metal, but I don't really like any of the newer stuff. My brother and dad are both really into metal and went through a period of trying to convert me, which has thankfully stopped. Truthfully, a pretty good chunk of the music I listen to on a regular basis is from soundtracks. 

My college roommate loved Christian death metal. I never had words for that. One time she offered to just hook my laptop up to hers to transfer her entire music library to me, and I was like, "How about no?" 😂

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I have a odd hearing problem (I guess) with hard rock, heavy metal I cannot separate the words from the music. It literally sounds like noise to me. I have the same problem with opera. I really could not enjoy Handel's Messiah until I heard a recording where someone read the words before a section of of music was played. Then I could separate the music from the words and enjoy it.

• Love 2