Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

260 kids and teens infected with COVID-19 at a Georgia camp. Granted, it was an overnight camp, but still.

Oh I've pointed that out. There have been many outbreaks in day camps and daycares as well. But let's ignore all that.

Gonna be some aged like whole milk people out there soon enough. 

6 pediatricians from the same clinic sent a letter to the local school board and state school board advocating for opening schools with NO precautions. Their recommendation is based on the "fact" that kids rarely get the virus, rarely spread the virus, it's no worse than the flu, and Europe opened their schools after their lock down so it's safe for us to do the same. Their one concession was if teachers and staff were older or had underlying conditions accommodations should be made IF they felt unsafe, but there was really no reason to feel unsafe since in Idaho no one under 50 has died.

I'm pretty sure this was written in June since all the facts are based on what was happening then. While nobody under 40 has died in Idaho, the new cases include a lot of people under 18 and between 19-35 whereas the last surge it was almost all people over 40 who were infected. Our health department and local media are not reporting the numbers of infected or the businesses that have had to close to the public. I had to go to the state site to learn that my county has been adding 2-5 new positive patients a day for the last 2 weeks. On Thursday that number jumped to 7!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

6 pediatricians from the same clinic sent a letter to the local school board and state school board advocating for opening schools with NO precautions. Their recommendation is based on the "fact" that kids rarely get the virus, rarely spread the virus, it's no worse than the flu, and Europe opened their schools after their lock down so it's safe for us to do the same. Their one concession was if teachers and staff were older or had underlying conditions accommodations should be made IF they felt unsafe, but there was really no reason to feel unsafe since in Idaho no one under 50 has died.

I'm pretty sure this was written in June since all the facts are based on what was happening then. While nobody under 40 has died in Idaho, the new cases include a lot of people under 18 and between 19-35 whereas the last surge it was almost all people over 40 who were infected. Our health department and local media are not reporting the numbers of infected or the businesses that have had to close to the public. I had to go to the state site to learn that my county has been adding 2-5 new positive patients a day for the last 2 weeks. On Thursday that number jumped to 7!

I watched an interview, and the anchor asked 4 or 5 MDs if they would send their kids back to school. I think they all said yes, with most adding they wouldn't if in a hot spot. What they didn't ask the MDs was, where do they live, where do their kids go to school and how old are their kids?

Inner cities have more busing, use some public transportation and crowded classrooms. Rural kids spend longer times on buses. Older kids change classrooms and teachers for different subjects. They just isn't a one size fits all.

• Love 7

I hope we can get a vaccine soon. I think I posted earlier about volunteering for a covid trial in N.C.  Well, I decided that I would pursue it after all. The first application seemed to indicate that they wanted frontline workers, people who encountered many each day, which I don’t do. But, I later read that they also really want high risk people, such as diabetics. I’m type I, and I think they want type II, but, I’m going to get officially screened. They should be calling me next week. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope we can get a vaccine soon. I think I posted earlier about volunteering for a covid trial in N.C.  Well, I decided that I would pursue it after all. The first application seemed to indicate that they wanted frontline workers, people who encountered many each day, which I don’t do. But, I later read that they also really want high risk people, such as diabetics. I’m type I, and I think they want type II, but, I’m going to get officially screened. They should be calling me next week. 

I've signed up for two vaccine trials here in Seattle but I haven't heard from either yet. I'm retired, been staying put, and have no health concerns.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, beckie said:

Got a sweet little puppy about an hour ago. I'd share a picture but can't figure out how on here. Now to come up with a name.

What type puppy is it? Maybe something uplifting as a name would be good: Sunny, Hope, Happy. I can't come up with anything in particular but it just seems like something cheerful and optimistic would be appropriate.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine!"

Super spreaders =/= not able to catch and spread the disease. 

Again, getting really annoyed at the messaging I'm seeing around COVID. I've ranted too much how we missed the mark on using social distancing versus physical distancing. The whole "kids aren't super spreaders" sound bite is going to bite us in the ass come school time. Kids certainly do catch it, but it is generally mild or no symptoms. They can and do spread it to adults around them. I remember reading that you can tell when the schools shut down in each area by looking at the number of seasonal influenza cases. The number of cases plummeted.

I'm going to sit back and watch. The infectious diseases people I know have nubs for teeth left at this point. Watching other countries experience a resurgence is terrifying. The past few months have felt like years now. It's August and it feels like we can write off the rest of 2020 now. 

I know so am I. Its driving me crazy that so many people are acting like we don't know what's going to happen when we do. Schools are going to open and there will be an outbreak. There's been outbreaks at parties, weddings, churches, overnight camps, and MLB. I want so much for them to all change their minds and pick online until things calm down. I don't want my nephew to go to school, I don't want my sister-in-law or cousin and their kids to go school, I don't want any kids, teachers or school staff to go. So many of them are going to get sick and some are going to die. We know this. But its going to happen anyway. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Liddy52 said:

What type puppy is it? Maybe something uplifting as a name would be good: Sunny, Hope, Happy. I can't come up with anything in particular but it just seems like something cheerful and optimistic would be appropriate.

She's a chihuahua.

• Love 9

Something that covid has taken from me are my concerts! This is HUGE to me.  Music feeds my soul. It’s hard to explain.  With my crew (friends who are like family that share my passion.) we thrive on the music, the sharing, the camaraderie,  etc.  If you want a super experience check out 25th Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame performances on Amazon prime.  OMG!!! I can’t describe how good it is. Takes you to another time and place! I don’t think you have to like rock n roll. Lol It includes, Crosby, Stills, Nash, James Taylor, Bruce, Stones, Sting, U 2, Stevie, Smokey, Raitt, Fergie, Simon, Garfunkel, Sam Moore of Soul Man!!!    I’m watching now......awesome!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, beckie said:

She's a chihuahua.

A friend of mine recently got a chihuahua puppy that she named Lola May because she said it just fit her personality.  I know you will find the perfect name for your new puppy! Enjoy! 

• Love 6

When my mom and I cleaned out my grandma’s apartment (after she died), we found something that gave us a much needed chuckle.

Hidden under some things in a drawer was a plain white envelope marked “robbery money”.  In the envelope was about $50.  A few months prior, grandma had been the victim of a push in robbery.  The criminals tied her to a chair in the living room and set fire underneath it. She had no money in the house except a few dollars.  I guess she wanted to be ready in case it happened again.  Mom and I used the money to eat out that night.  

The criminals were actually caught, as they had been victimizing elderly ladies in the area, and grandma went down to the police precinct to help identify them.  She told my mom she was so excited to ride in the back of the police car..

• Love 3
8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

"But kids aren't super spreaders! It's fine

This is, of course, untrue.  While kids are more likely to be asymptomatic or have only mild symptoms, a paper was recently published that demonstrated that children under the age of 5 who had COVID had every bit as much virus in their nasal passages as older kids and adults with COVID.  If they have virus in their noses, there is no reason to think they aren't just as contagious.  Because schools and daycares closed down relatively early on, we just hadn't seen outbreaks amongst young kids spreading.  We also know that some kids do get seriously ill with COVID and there have been deaths, even of infants.

If you remember, back in early times, there was the idea that somehow teens and young adults didn't get COVID or at least were asymptomatic and unlikely to spread it.  Then we had spring break and COVID parties and we know that that was completely wrong.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Something that covid has taken from me are my concerts! This is HUGE to me.  Music feeds my soul. It’s hard to explain.  With my crew (friends who are like family that share my passion.) we thrive on the music, the sharing, the camaraderie,  etc.  If you want a super experience check out 25th Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame performances on Amazon prime.  OMG!!! I can’t describe how good it is. Takes you to another time and place! I don’t think you have to like rock n roll. Lol It includes, Crosby, Stills, Nash, James Taylor, Bruce, Stones, Sting, U 2, Stevie, Smokey, Raitt, Fergie, Simon, Garfunkel, Sam Moore of Soul Man!!!    I’m watching now......awesome!

Me too!  So many musical events of all kinds in the summer.  The Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world, plays in a lovely outdoor venue.  I try to get down there at least once each year and spend an evening under the stars listening to beautiful music.  

I also love me some rock and roll and was excited that Bruce was supposed to tour this summer-except not.  The Stones were also supposed to be here.  These guys aren't young and spry anymore and who knows how much longer they'll be touring and now we've lost a year,

If you haven't been to the Rock Hall itself, it is well worth the trip.  The exhibits are really innovative and there is a real mission to explain how rock and rock came to be and introduce young fans to some of the early influences.  Besides, they've got stuff like Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform!  John Lennon's report cards!  Little Richard's suits!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Me too!  So many musical events of all kinds in the summer.  The Cleveland Orchestra, one of the best in the world, plays in a lovely outdoor venue.  I try to get down there at least once each year and spend an evening under the stars listening to beautiful music.  

I also love me some rock and roll and was excited that Bruce was supposed to tour this summer-except not.  The Stones were also supposed to be here.  These guys aren't young and spry anymore and who knows how much longer they'll be touring and now we've lost a year,

If you haven't been to the Rock Hall itself, it is well worth the trip.  The exhibits are really innovative and there is a real mission to explain how rock and rock came to be and introduce young fans to some of the early influences.  Besides, they've got stuff like Jim Morrison's cub scout uniform!  John Lennon's report cards!  Little Richard's suits!

That sounds like something I would Love love.  Adding to the top of my to do list. 

• Love 3

So, typical day...Having Mom over for the weekend as usual...no problem other than her always managing to notice whatever has not been accomplished since the last time she was here. But that's par for the course, and I know that my actual sense of ambition goes out of the window as soon as the real summer temps arrive, so I deserve it.

Daughter, son-in-law and Grand-Jynlet also over for a couple of days (also as usual these days). I do like to have them over, though. 

Mr. Jyn found a recipe for an Indian-spice inspired vegetarian shepherd's pie for me to make for my daughter , which took me waaaay longer than it should have (I don't cook nearly as well from recipes as I do when I just make things up on instinct). Then made dinner for everyone else. All came out very tasty. After dinner, Mr Jyn and I, plus son-in-law went out to sit on the Adirondack chairs in the backyard with another glass of wine to relax. My daughter was putting Grand-Jynlet down for the night.

Anyway, somehow we got to talking about how difficult this year has been to get anything in the vegetable garden to grow, etc...It's really been a horrible season, and I'll admit that while early mornings would probably be the best time to do work, I don't do mornings, and especially since Mr Jyn doesn't go out anything like early himself; he actually gets the most work done in the godawful part of midday that's not fit for man or beast. So, anyway, it was really pleasant sitting there after dinner, and conversation went to both my son-in-law and I agreeing that  this was the nicest time of the day to do some work, and we sort of got up to start pulling at a few weeds, and so did Mr Jyn, as he was certainly not going to sit there if we were working - quite understandable. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, I decided that the couple of glasses of wine I'd had were making me feel a bit woozy, and I didn't necessarily feel like devoting the evening to yard work given the fact that we had a houseful of company. but Mr Jyn kept doggedly at the part of the flowerbed he had tackled. so I didn't feel right giving up since I was the one who had brought up the idea of weeding to begin with. So I kept on. At which point Mr Jyn decided that I was being a "ridiculous bitch" about the whole thing. This is just the sort of thing I seem to have to deal with way too often these days, and part of me just figures that the only way not to end up feeling really put upon is to basically agree that he is right, and I have to find a way to be more reasonable (and to do my fair share of yard work. which he is probably more than justified in feeling that I don't quite get to, but I do babysit my granddaughter, do most of the cleaning, and all the cooking, to be fair - plus which he doesn't hate hot weather the way I do).  So. Yeah. I'm frustrated. I feel as though I'm horribly negligent on the one hand, but also feel as though I don't really deserve some of what he accuses me of on the other.

Sorry to bring this up here....I'm just having a really depressing evening...

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is me. In January I already had five showed scheduled for the year. I’ve missed all five and it would have been easily double that by now. The most important one is rescheduled to September 2021 and I’m so worried my roommate might not make it that long. It keeps me up at night. 

• Love 1

@Jynnan tonnix if you're doing most of the cleaning, all of the cooking, and babysitting your granddaughter you are NOT being lazy and unproductive. Please don't listen to Mr. Jyn, this year has been a soul sucking year. Give yourself grace and realize that you may not be emotionally and mentally capable of keeping up with the garden or any other projects you may have accomplished if the world hadn't gone nuts. 

• Love 21
On 7/1/2020 at 12:22 PM, Zella said:

When my library was open, most people who came in weren't wearing the masks properly. Like, how hard is it to cover your fucking mouth and nose? Not hard!

Ahhhh!!!  I came to read and get caught up and planned not to speak until I read through July.  But I have to comment right here because it’s harder to wear a damn mask than you might think.  Apparently I have 2 issues.  1) I have a small adult size head.  Not small enough for a child, but small enough that a mask meant to cover my nose and mouth is usually up to my lower eyelids and hanging under my chin.  I can see.  You’d think I’d fix that.  Sigh.  I have.  I fixed 5 because I already could never find anything and I’m making easier to lose a mask but run across another....

2) the fit.  The fit gives me FITS.  Obviously God thought it would be funny to put my ears just a smidge lower than the ears on regular people.  (Mrs Potato Head, right here).  A regular mask that 99.9% of any human anywhere actually works best for me upside down.  Which is NO PROBLEM because I have enough mask to still go from under my chin to under my glasses even upside down.  

thanks for reading my rant!!!  Now do you remember why you were relieved when I slithered away??

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, marypat57 said:

When my mom and I cleaned out my grandma’s apartment (after she died), we found something that gave us a much needed chuckle.

Hidden under some things in a drawer was a plain white envelope marked “robbery money”.  In the envelope was about $50.  A few months prior, grandma had been the victim of a push in robbery.  The criminals tied her to a chair in the living room and set fire underneath it. She had no money in the house except a few dollars.  I guess she wanted to be ready in case it happened again.  Mom and I used the money to eat out that night.  

The criminals were actually caught, as they had been victimizing elderly ladies in the area, and grandma went down to the police precinct to help identify them.  She told my mom she was so excited to ride in the back of the police car..

What a great story!!!  I love your grandma!!  Think about it:  she was embarrassed to not have money when the robbers demanded it and so had an envelope ready and waiting.  The robbers got the same raise and the grass boy!!!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Ahhhh!!!  I came to read and get caught up and planned not to speak until I read through July.  But I have to comment right here because it’s harder to wear a damn mask than you might think.  Apparently I have 2 issues.  1) I have a small adult size head.  Not small enough for a child, but small enough that a mask meant to cover my nose and mouth is usually up to my lower eyelids and hanging under my chin.  I can see.  You’d think I’d fix that.  Sigh.  I have.  I fixed 5 because I already could never find anything and I’m making easier to lose a mask but run across another....

2) the fit.  The fit gives me FITS.  Obviously God thought it would be funny to put my ears just a smidge lower than the ears on regular people.  (Mrs Potato Head, right here).  A regular mask that 99.9% of any human anywhere actually works best for me upside down.  Which is NO PROBLEM because I have enough mask to still go from under my chin to under my glasses even upside down.  

thanks for reading my rant!!!  Now do you remember why you were relieved when I slithered away??

Nice to see you!!!! So happy to see you back. How are you??? Hiiii waves happily.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Nice to see you!!!! So happy to see you back. How are you??? Hiiii waves happily.

Hey you!  How’s life?  Did you stay inside for 3 whole months while the Covapocalypse happened all around???

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Hey you!  How’s life?  Did you stay inside for 3 whole months while the Covapocalypse happened all around???

No haha. I go outside for walks. No where to go everything is closed! 

• Love 2

I admit to being a bad person when it comes to mask wearing.  I have tried several masks and I just can't breath properly or keep the bridge of my nose covered properly so that my glasses don't get fogged up.  I went grocery shopping yesterday and had to wander the aisles with no glasses even though I'm legally blind.  I ended up describing the stuff I wanted to my husband (who cannot shop to save his life) and hope for the best.  As soon as I can hit the parking lot and in my car that mask is ripped off and I am gasping for a full breath.  I have straight up bailed at the checkout line because I can't stand it one more second and booked it to a isolated outdoor spot to take the damn thing off and take a few breaths.  I have even pulled the damn thing away from my face slightly to pull in air on occasion.  Like, I understand that these are bad behaviors with the mask situation, but I have no idea how to get around it without having a panic attack or passing out.  It's freaking embarrassing. 

And those little wires in the mask do not really help, because when I get them settled properly they block my lower visual range and make me move my glasses to the end of my nose, which makes it much harder to see.  

And whining about masks is totally ridiculous under the circumstances, but Lord forgive me, I am fit to cry about the whole mess.  Like, are there masks that aren't so confining that are still protective?  Will this annoy me less when it's not freaking 90 degrees in INDIANA for goodness sake!!? (I for real moved away from Florida so that I would not have to deal with this heat BS and we don't even have AC up here in midwest yankee hell).   Grumble, grumble, premature old lady bitching.

• Love 7

@Jynnan tonnix, I was sad to read about what should have been such a pleasant evening.  From what you've said in the past, Mr. Jyn has an iron core of integrity, but, if you'll forgive me, it also sounds as though he has an iron core generally.  I know from experience how hard that can be to live with.  I hope that he becomes better able to see you and all that you are despite the vision-distorting calamity in which we are all engulfed.  I hope, as well, that your daughter is feeling less anxious and isolated these days.  

Here in Spain, case numbers are climbing again, although they are nothing like what I read about in the U.S.  Still, of everyone alive in my region of Spain at the beginning of March, one out of every 595 of us has died of Covid-19.  Our regional government has asked us all to stay home as much as possible, so that's what Best Beloved and I are doing, and every day we try to remind ourselves of how thankful we are that we and those we love are alive and well. 

• Love 13

I don't know @Jynnan tonnix, you seem like a prize to me. Mr Tonnix (& your mom) may have a running script in his head about how things are supposed to be, but that doesn't mean his script is correct. If he isn't liking the weeds, then he certainly can (& did) pull them. And you can sit and drink your wine and maybe work on not feeling guilty over it.

Most folks think marriages are supposed to be 50/50. They never are. They fluctuate all the time. The only time you need to really be concerned is if the marriage is consistently, say 70/30, and the same partner is always contributing the 70% (and there's no real reason why). The stories you share never seem like that to me.

Life in general, and now with the pandemic, shift our needs and abilities all the time and like @Nysha said, we need to be as gracious to ourselves as we are to others.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Glad you are back.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

So, typical day...Having Mom over for the weekend as usual...no problem other than her always managing to notice whatever has not been accomplished since the last time she was here. But that's par for the course, and I know that my actual sense of ambition goes out of the window as soon as the real summer temps arrive, so I deserve it.

Daughter, son-in-law and Grand-Jynlet also over for a couple of days (also as usual these days). I do like to have them over, though. 

Mr. Jyn found a recipe for an Indian-spice inspired vegetarian shepherd's pie for me to make for my daughter , which took me waaaay longer than it should have (I don't cook nearly as well from recipes as I do when I just make things up on instinct). Then made dinner for everyone else. All came out very tasty. After dinner, Mr Jyn and I, plus son-in-law went out to sit on the Adirondack chairs in the backyard with another glass of wine to relax. My daughter was putting Grand-Jynlet down for the night.

Anyway, somehow we got to talking about how difficult this year has been to get anything in the vegetable garden to grow, etc...It's really been a horrible season, and I'll admit that while early mornings would probably be the best time to do work, I don't do mornings, and especially since Mr Jyn doesn't go out anything like early himself; he actually gets the most work done in the godawful part of midday that's not fit for man or beast. So, anyway, it was really pleasant sitting there after dinner, and conversation went to both my son-in-law and I agreeing that  this was the nicest time of the day to do some work, and we sort of got up to start pulling at a few weeds, and so did Mr Jyn, as he was certainly not going to sit there if we were working - quite understandable. However, after 10 or 15 minutes, I decided that the couple of glasses of wine I'd had were making me feel a bit woozy, and I didn't necessarily feel like devoting the evening to yard work given the fact that we had a houseful of company. but Mr Jyn kept doggedly at the part of the flowerbed he had tackled. so I didn't feel right giving up since I was the one who had brought up the idea of weeding to begin with. So I kept on. At which point Mr Jyn decided that I was being a "ridiculous bitch" about the whole thing. This is just the sort of thing I seem to have to deal with way too often these days, and part of me just figures that the only way not to end up feeling really put upon is to basically agree that he is right, and I have to find a way to be more reasonable (and to do my fair share of yard work. which he is probably more than justified in feeling that I don't quite get to, but I do babysit my granddaughter, do most of the cleaning, and all the cooking, to be fair - plus which he doesn't hate hot weather the way I do).  So. Yeah. I'm frustrated. I feel as though I'm horribly negligent on the one hand, but also feel as though I don't really deserve some of what he accuses me of on the other.

Sorry to bring this up here....I'm just having a really depressing evening...

You seem like a sweet, kind, considerate woman. But also stay silent/be a pushover. Your family knows you and knows how to push your bottons. I’m sorry you are not treated kindly. 

I am a pushover myself and continue to stew inside and never stand up for myself. 

I hope I didn’t offend you.

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 11

First I lost my therapist in February. The new one canceled on me twice already. 

Now my psychiatrist is leaving. She found a job close to home. I’m free to go see her at her new office but it’s 2 hour commute each way. Not going to do that. 

I’m so sad and devastated. Life keeps changing and I don’t like it. 

And I have to job hunt. I don’t know if I will find anything else.

Maybe I should start playing the lottery.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

First I lost my therapist in February. The new one canceled on me twice already. 

Now my psychiatrist is leaving. She found a job close to home. I’m free to go see her at her new office but it’s 2 hour commute each way. Not going to do that. 

Your psychiatrist isn't offering telepsych?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Well that isn't good.  I agree about the telementalhealth.  It is a real thing.  Ask about it.  How is your painful tooth?  Has your suspected tumor improved?  Sorry to hear about your woes.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Nysha said:

Physicians are also the bane of my existence right now and have been for a few months. The MD behind their name doesn't mean they specialize in infectious diseases folks. The MD behind their name means they were able to do well on the MCAT, get a high GPA in undergrad, and get through medical school. Yes no small feat. However I was a TA for research methods for medical residents at one point. Dear god. Most can't interpret statistics to save their life. A lot of research done by MDs without a master's or PhD tends to be junk because they know fuck all about what they are doing.

And it is seen as presumptuous when I refer to myself by Dr. <last name>. Hrmpf. 

• Love 10

There is no online therapy/psychiatrist visits. I asked. This is a hospital that surprised me that they are not doing online visits. It was closed March-June. In June she told me if I don’t see her in person no more medications. Crazy right? 

I am going to the doctor tomorrow to ask about my maybe tumor. The teeth are on the back burner. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

There is no online therapy/psychiatrist visits. I asked. This is a hospital that surprised me that they are not doing online visits. It was closed March-June. In June she told me if I don’t see her in person no more medications. Crazy right? 

I am going to the doctor tomorrow to ask about my maybe tumor. The teeth are on the back burner. 

A hospital closed? For three months? What did their patients do? I'm involved with a fairly robust mental health community and nobody I know shut down. All went directly to telemedicine, with the exception of blood work, inpatient stays, and detox and residential units, which all stayed open.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A hospital closed? For three months? What did their patients do? I'm involved with a fairly robust mental health community and nobody I know shut down. All went directly to telemedicine, with the exception of blood work, inpatient stays, and detox and residential units, which all stayed open.

It’s a clinic inside the hospital 

Happyfatchick:

Thanks for the sweet comments about my grandma.  She truly was a wonderful person.  

She was widowed on the eve of WW II (my grandfather was buried on 12/5/41), and left with 5 children between the ages of 16 and 6 , in  addition to her husband's parents to provide for.   She got a job as a telephone operator for the federal government and worked nights on the waterfront in NYC.  In her later years, grandma also took care of her mother, before my great grandma was admitted to a local nursing home.  My grandma visited her mother every day for 3 years, until my great grandma passed away.  My grandma also buried 3 of her 5 children before she died at the age of 86.

Grandma was a fun person whose hobbies included playing poker with her family and friends and visiting the local OTB facility.  She is certainly missed.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

It’s a clinic inside the hospital 

Well that stinks.

This is so shocking to me. As a mental health clinic they have an obligation to serve their clients. Depending on the reason they closed, this borders on unethical. When my colleagues and co-workers talk among ourselves, we call ourselves unsung front-line workers of this pandemic. We didn't miss a beat. We scrambled to meet the needs of those we serve, and I'd say we've done a great job.

I would look around for remote therapy. Wishing you luck finding new services.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Is it possible he/she could refer you to some6who does?

She’s leaving so I will be assigned a new one. They don’t do online visits at all. I don’t want to look for anyone else because I don’t know who takes my insurance. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

She’s leaving so I will be assigned a new one. They don’t do online visits at all. I don’t want to look for anyone else because I don’t know who takes my insurance. 

All you need to do is go to your insurance and look their list. Also most therapists, psychiatrists, clinics and agencies include what insurance they take online.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Well that stinks.

This is so shocking to me. As a mental health clinic they have an obligation to serve their clients. Depending on the reason they closed, this borders on unethical. When my colleagues and co-workers talk among ourselves, we call ourselves unsung front-line workers of this pandemic. We didn't miss a beat. We scrambled to meet the needs of those we serve, and I'd say we've done a great job.

I would look around for remote therapy. Wishing you luck finding new services.

Thank you. 

A patient came upstairs to speak to anyone because her bill to see a psychiatrist was $1200. I almost passed out. $20 is a bargain. 

The place is open so I don’t need to look for a different location. 

13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

All you need to do is go to your insurance and look their list. Also most therapists, psychiatrists, clinics and agencies include what insurance they take online.

You can also contact any prospective therapist's office and give them your insurance info and ask them to pre-cert you.  Most insurance company provider lists are not up to date, so, while you can check your handbook or the website; the information may be out of date.

I find it hard to believe that the hospital didn't have some sort of access plan for their outpatient clinics during the pandemic.  If not telemedicine, then another site or, at the very least, a phone line for leaving messages.  It is patient abandonment not to provide some sort of care, even if face to face visits were not possible.

From mid-March until early May, in Ohio, medical practitioners were only allowed to provide 'essential' care which means no routine visits for annual exams and such.  However, we were still allowed to see pregnant patients and people who needed procedures including placing IUD's and implants.  Contraception was and is considered essential care.  I find it difficult to think that mental health care isn't also essential.  I will say that some controlled substances require a face to face practitioner visit for refills and, if you are one one of those, there's a reason they couldn't give them without a visit.

Did you actually contact the clinic and your doctor and ask about these issues? Just because the clinic building was shut down doesn't mean services couldn't be received.  It just doesn't make sense that they closed up shop and were completely unavailable for 3 months.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, marypat57 said:

Happyfatchick:

Thanks for the sweet comments about my grandma.  She truly was a wonderful person.  

She was widowed on the eve of WW II (my grandfather was buried on 12/5/41), and left with 5 children between the ages of 16 and 6 , in  addition to her husband's parents to provide for.   She got a job as a telephone operator for the federal government and worked nights on the waterfront in NYC.  In her later years, grandma also took care of her mother, before my great grandma was admitted to a local nursing home.  My grandma visited her mother every day for 3 years, until my great grandma passed away.  My grandma also buried 3 of her 5 children before she died at the age of 86.

Grandma was a fun person whose hobbies included playing poker with her family and friends and visiting the local OTB facility.  She is certainly missed.

Your grandma was a strong woman and a special lady. You are quite right to be proud of her. I have enjoyed learning something about her life.

• Love 6