Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, Porkchop said:

Motivated by the pandemic, I found a contractor and had part of my deck turned into a 12 by 16 screen room! What a joy it is! Shopped Facebook Marketplace for an outdoor table and cushioned chairs, and I'm living the stay-at-home life! I have dreamed of this for years, but I am not at all a stay-at-home person and so until coping with Covid, I put it off and went traveling instead. My house is in the woods, so decks were never a good idea, too many bugs. It's so great to sit out there, shaded and bug-free! 

But I am daydreaming about buying another RV! It seems like a Roadtrek would be the safest way to travel, avoiding public bathrooms and hotels. Will I do it? Can't tell yet. Maybe ...

That sounds incredible!  In NC, most of the time, bugs are a big issue.  I'm considering a screened in room for the future.  I still have a few more projects for my house, but, that one would be particularly awesome. Maybe, by next spring. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

They are asking people not to judge them.......there are no words. 

So no judging for a deliberate decision to put themselves and everyone around them into harm's way, but lets judge all the mask wearers and anyone else who doesn't believe like them?

• Love 18
On 7/27/2020 at 9:42 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope this works. 

1EE545C1-FBAC-40D7-8707-9679E9800C75.jpeg

That is the cutest thing. I know, they’re wild animals, but I think they’re cute. From a safe distance of course. 
Also, what gorgeous lawns and trees!

• Love 10
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

A medical professional that works in a hospital in MA got 23 co-workers and a dozen or so patients sick with covid. This person "traveled to a hot spot" and returned to work. The spin is the rules in the break room are lax. Hmmm, I didn't know patients hung out in the break room. The hospital immediately changed their policy on post vacation protocol.

According to the Miami Herald, 17 anesthesiologist residents have tested positive after attending a party together!  😬😬😬.  Wish I could link the article.  This is getting insane.

47 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

According to the Miami Herald, 17 anesthesiologist residents have tested positive after attending a party together!  😬😬😬.  Wish I could link the article.  This is getting insane.

Great, go into surgery and have your appendix removed and wake up a day later with covid.

It is amazing what one finds out when a family member passes away.  My aunt (dad's sister-in-law) passed away Sunday, non-covid related, thankfully.  She had been sick for over 10+ years, and she was under hospice care for the last 2 years.  Her obituary was available online yesterday evening, and I'm reading about relatives that I didn't even know existed.  One of them, my mom did know about, which cleared up some questions.  Another one was obvious, but we did not know he existed.  And, we have no idea who the other two people are.  With everything happening, we won't be attending the services, but I don't think we would without covid.  I don't have a real connection with anyone on my dad's side of the family.  He was my connection.  And that was lost when he passed away nearly 10 years ago.  I'm fine with the distant relationship status with them, but I will never understand all the secrets.

• Love 5

i am going to write this here because i cant really talk about it at home. husband and roommate know but thats it irl. 

my pulmonologist called me SATURDAY noon and told me that my CT scan from two weeks ago shows some'scars' on my lungs as well as 'something' on my corratted artery (dont know how to spell it). he has consulted a vascular surgeon and they ordered some STAT tests on me. i did them yesterday and i am waiting for a phone call to learn what it really all means.  they told me my results , even tho ordered STAT, they will go in rotation with all the other STAT tests and they said he will call when he gets to my results.  i am scared!! 

3 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i am going to write this here because i cant really talk about it at home. husband and roommate know but thats it irl. 

my pulmonologist called me SATURDAY noon and told me that my CT scan from two weeks ago shows some'scars' on my lungs as well as 'something' on my corratted artery (dont know how to spell it). he has consulted a vascular surgeon and they ordered some STAT tests on me. i did them yesterday and i am waiting for a phone call to learn what it really all means.  they told me my results , even tho ordered STAT, they will go in rotation with all the other STAT tests and they said he will call when he gets to my results.  i am scared!! 

Hang in there! It certainly sounds scary, but may well turn out to be something easy enough to treat. We will all keep you in our thoughts, and keep all our appendages crossed for non-frightening results. You've got this!

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, zoomama said:

Zoomama, being scared is understandable. That’s a lot to process. Plus, it’s so uncertain. Do you have any idea when they’ll know more?  Let’s hope it’s something treatable and that it will all be cleared up soon. Sending well wishes and healing thoughts your way.  Post when you know more. There is always support around here. 

• Love 9
(edited)

I think I have a tumor. I’m going to the doctor next month to ask. Hoping I’m wrong. But it feels like a tumor when I poke it. 

@zoomama I will keep you in my prayers. Maybe it’s nothing serious!

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 2

zoomama, hugs and I hope you get good answers as quickly as possible. The unknown is sometimes scarier than the actual answer so I can imagine how anxious you must be. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

Zoomama, I found this link for you...even if it turns out to be a carotid tumor apparently most of those are benign...

Carotid tumors

My mother had surgery for this about 25 years ago...she is 92. I know it’s hard not to be freaked out, but have some ice cream and know we’re all here thinking about you, okay?

Group hug!

• Love 20
3 hours ago, zoomama said:

As noted above, it is the carotid artery.  They carry blood to the brain.  What test did the vascular surgeon do?  If it was an ultrasound, it might be that they are looking for blockages.  This would be caused by cholesterol plaques, the same ones that clog the coronary arteries and cause heart attacks.  They can cause strokes when in the carotid.  Blockages and narrowing (stenosis) of the carotid are a lot more common than tumors and there is good treatment available.

Good luck, zomama, I'll say a prayer.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, zoomama said:

It’s understandable that you’re scared. (((Hugs))) wishing all the best for you. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I think I have a tumor. I’m going to the doctor next month to ask. Hoping I’m wrong. But it feels like a tumor when I poke it. 

Wow, on top of your dental issues?  How did that end up going?

@zoomama hoping it all gets resolved and there is an easy fix

• Love 7

I drove up to my daughter’s house yesterday to deliver a care package. Of course I saw 2 grandchildren at a distance (with all of us wearing masks), but the one with Covid isn’t allowed out of his room. I had gone to Costco and gotten them a bundle of meat and vegetables. So basically I was there 5 minutes and then turned around and drove the 50 miles home. I’m so grateful I didn’t have to use the bathroom. (Usually a problem for me, so other than 1 cup of tea 2.5 hours before I left, I had nothing until I was 10 minutes from home and began on electrolyte water...it was 105 heat index) 

@zoomama I have had surgery on my carotid. It wasn’t too bad. I’m hoping yours is nothing. Prayers and good vibes being sent. 
@Scarlett45 Oh dear. I’m sorry about your cousin. 
@galaxychaser A tumor? Dental problems and other heath issues (I believe at one point you stated that you tested positive for Covid) sound like you have a lot going on. Sending good vibes and prayers your way. Get well soon. 

Everyone, please take care of yourselves. We all seem to have people near us with issues, or we have them. Let’s begin taking good care of ourselves so that we are ready to greet a happier 2021..hopefully without Covid. Hugs to All. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I drove up to my daughter’s house yesterday to deliver a care package. Of course I saw 2 grandchildren at a distance (with all of us wearing masks), but the one with Covid isn’t allowed out of his room. I had gone to Costco and gotten them a bundle of meat and vegetables. So basically I was there 5 minutes and then turned around and drove the 50 miles home. I’m so grateful I didn’t have to use the bathroom. (Usually a problem for me, so other than 1 cup of tea 2.5 hours before I left, I had nothing until I was 10 minutes from home and began on electrolyte water...it was 105 heat index) 

@zoomama I have had surgery on my carotid. It wasn’t too bad. I’m hoping yours is nothing. Prayers and good vibes being sent. 
@Scarlett45 Oh dear. I’m sorry about your cousin. 
@galaxychaser A tumor? Dental problems and other heath issues (I believe at one point you stated that you tested positive for Covid) sound like you have a lot going on. Sending good vibes and prayers your way. Get well soon. 

Everyone, please take care of yourselves. We all seem to have people near us with issues, or we have them. Let’s begin taking good care of ourselves so that we are ready to greet a happier 2021..hopefully without Covid. Hugs to All. 

I hope your grandkids recover quickly! I had it it’s not pleasant. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, galaxychaser said:

I hope your grandkids recover quickly! I had it it’s not pleasant. 

It’s only one of them. They are all being tested and their isolating techniques are working well so far. 
My daughter got her LPN before going into education so she understands what’s at stake and is militant about everyone in the house not breaking quarantine protocol and cleaning, cleaning cleaning with disposable gloves on. 
(Grandson does not share a bathroom with anyone else, but must FaceTime inspections to make sure that he doesn’t reinfect himself. All his meals are delivered (by masked family member to his room at the end of a long hallway) to his door. I text with him and he says he is crushing a video game lol. He’s only 12. 

• Love 11

I need to vent here.  My little brother works in the kitchen at a restaurant in town.  From the staff group chat yesterday he learned that two of his fellow coworkers have tested positive for covid.  The owner is staying silent on this, but is willing to be interviewed by the local news over our governor's new order stopping alcohol sales at 11pm.  The owner has also not provided masks for the employees and has been paying lip service to social distancing guidelines.  This restaurant is extremely popular with the college kids and has become the de facto drinking place for everyone since bars remain closed.  He does not appear to be considering closing the place until the health department forces him.  My brother has been careful and has only been going to work or the grocery store for the last few months until last week.  I went out to dinner with him and his girlfriend last Tuesday and he stopped by the house on Sunday to see our niece.  

Ohiopirate02, are the infected employees still working? And maybe your brother can make an anonymous report to the health department? That sounds like a giant outbreak waiting to happen. I hope he is able to stay safe and employed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
18 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Ohiopirate02, are the infected employees still working? And maybe your brother can make an anonymous report to the health department? That sounds like a giant outbreak waiting to happen. I hope he is able to stay safe and employed. 

I don't know if they are still working, but at this point my brother was still in contact with them last week.  The kitchen is so small that it is impossible to keep any distance.  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't know if they are still working, but at this point my brother was still in contact with them last week.  The kitchen is so small that it is impossible to keep any distance.  

Sounds like your brother might want to think about doing a self quarantine. Trouble is it would very likely cost him his job, lose a good reference and then not leave him eligible for unemployment. I’m scared for him. I hope with your visits that you maintained  a bit of distance. I am also concerned about you having seen him twice in the past 7 days. Gosh, I don’t want to ring like an alarmist, but I’d most certainly be bucking up my immunity system with whatever works best for you. I’ll include y’all in my prayers. This is a sneaky virus and wish all of you the best. Keep us posted. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

such a horrible position to be in for your brother. It makes me sad and embarrassed every day to see people flaunting safety at the expense of others.

• Love 9
(edited)

we got our Covid tracing call today. out of the 6 employees at Mrcrazy8s' work, the 3 security guys setting up the temperature screening stations and plexiglass shields to make things safer to bring back 800 employees, all go to the same fundie church, all sent their kids on a bus to a church camp in Tennessee a few weeks back. (we are in MI) So far 11 kids, 6 parents, 5 grandparents are positive for coronavirus in the 3 families, all traced to the camp. The 3 employees came to work while waiting for test results. The 3 responsible employees, one with a daughter set to be married Aug 8 with a 10 person ceremony, have to self quarantine now. 

And oh unrelated, we make fun of the Duggar women's hair. One of these guys' wife has hair, that when braided reaches the top of her shoes. She is quite proud of that.

Edited by crazy8s

You guys... I am in Pickles Facebook group. I very rarely comment, I usually just stalk, but one one the posts was related to If Nurthan would start their own Instagram page. Someone asked if they would even know how to start a SM page. Someone said that Nathan and his brother had a FB page for their Florida lawncare business. I said that I had seen their FB business page, and it was riddled with typos. Someone else pointed out that apparently spelling does not count In FB business accounts 🙇‍♀️. I foolishly answered and said I thought spelling was important in Facebook business pages. Then... I WAS CALLED A KAREN!!!!!! I then noped out of the convo.

Let’s see. I was on a snark page. I did not say anything horrible. I just stated a fact. People BLASTED me because just because I should be looking at other business pages created by people with MBA’s that have typos on their page. 

I got called a Karen!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

So sorry for those of you going through covid and covid scares.

I just saw a clip of a young MD. He was explaining that he and his wife (also an MD) changed their vacation to a weekend get away at a lake. They "handpicked" certain family members who they knew had been covid-cautious to visit on different days. They were basically inside only for bedtime. They never wore masks because they all trusted each other. Now along with his guests, he, his pregnant wife and young child tested positive for covid.

You can trust no one. Even those who are super careful can come in contact with this damn terrorist called covid19.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

People suck. Also, it’s practically August, the month when everyone in the northern hemisphere loses their damn mind. Also pandemic. Also economic crisis. Also election year. People are on edge just a tidge.
You’re no Karen. Did you start screaming in all caps that BUSINESSES NEED TO SPELL CORRECTLY BECAUSE IT’S YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT AND YOU’RE CALLING THE COPS!!!!! No?

Big hug, sweetie. Stick with us!

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

People suck. Also, it’s practically August, the month when everyone in the northern hemisphere loses their damn mind. Also pandemic. Also economic crisis. Also election year. People are on edge just a tidge.
You’re no Karen. Did you start screaming in all caps that BUSINESSES NEED TO SPELL CORRECTLY BECAUSE IT’S YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT AND YOU’RE CALLING THE COPS!!!!! No?

Big hug, sweetie. Stick with us!

No worries! You guys are stuck with me. I think being called a “Karen” is hysterical! 🤣🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, doodlebug said:

As noted above, it is the carotid artery.  They carry blood to the brain.  What test did the vascular surgeon do?  If it was an ultrasound, it might be that they are looking for blockages.  This would be caused by cholesterol plaques, the same ones that clog the coronary arteries and cause heart attacks.  They can cause strokes when in the carotid.  Blockages and narrowing (stenosis) of the carotid are a lot more common than tumors and there is good treatment available.

Good luck, zomama, I'll say a prayer.

Don’t worry.  For some reason, at a certain age, they start doing a lot of testing.  Six months ago, my hematologist ordered an MRI of my lungs as they saw a nodule six months before.  I went into the office for the results and the Dr. told me it wasn’t there anymore.  I bust out crying from relief and couldn’t stop.  I walked out of the room and my husband saw me crying still and thought I got bad news.  Told him I was hysterical with relief.  I felt faint.  They do a lot of testing for the artery now too.  I hate going to doctors, but they are my life now, dammit.  Just sayin.  Hope I’m not answering to the wrong person.  This is for Zomama.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s only one of them. They are all being tested and their isolating techniques are working well so far. 
My daughter got her LPN before going into education so she understands what’s at stake and is militant about everyone in the house not breaking quarantine protocol and cleaning, cleaning cleaning with disposable gloves on. 
(Grandson does not share a bathroom with anyone else, but must FaceTime inspections to make sure that he doesn’t reinfect himself. All his meals are delivered (by masked family member to his room at the end of a long hallway) to his door. I text with him and he says he is crushing a video game lol. He’s only 12. 

My 15 yr old Grandson is isolated in his room for two weeks now.  He was in a pool with a kid who’s brother tested positive.  I don’t know if I can go over there or not.  Everything is so confusing and scary that my stomach is on the bum from nerves.  I’m on edge all the time now.  How long will this go on?

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

You guys... I am in Pickles Facebook group. I very rarely comment, I usually just stalk, but one one the posts was related to If Nurthan would start their own Instagram page. Someone asked if they would even know how to start a SM page. Someone said that Nathan and his brother had a FB page for their Florida lawncare business. I said that I had seen their FB business page, and it was riddled with typos. Someone else pointed out that apparently spelling does not count In FB business accounts 🙇‍♀️. I foolishly answered and said I thought spelling was important in Facebook business pages. Then... I WAS CALLED A KAREN!!!!!! I then noped out of the convo.

Let’s see. I was on a snark page. I did not say anything horrible. I just stated a fact. People BLASTED me because just because I should be looking at other business pages created by people with MBA’s that have typos on their page. 

Well,I got called “cruel” on a housewife thread recently, and I’m not .  She didn’t get what I was trying to say.  She took it her way.  I’m not 

cruel to anyone.  I could hardly sleep all night as I am very sensitive.  I don’t know what a Karen is, but I would rather that then cruel.  Some people take their troubles out on the threads.  My only consolation is there’s a God up above.

Edited by Silver Bells
23 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Could be a gas pocket.  My Mother had those.

• Useful 3

My employer is sticking their head in the sand pretending like COVID isn't happening.  Someone on another floor tested positive and a coworker on my floor saw a friend of mine with a box leaving the office earlier in the week.  I contacted my friend because I saw her twice last week and thought if she's tested positive, I need to know.  Luckily she was just in contact with the person who tested positive and so far she's had no symptoms.  A former employer has had one positive case. They have let the entire office know.  They sent everyone home who works on the floor so that they can get it cleaned.  It's so nice to see some employers care about their employees. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Please be careful with statements like this. You didn’t like being called cruel and if that person saw this post I doubt that she would like being called nasty. I’d hate to see you get a warning or thrown off of the site. You know I like you so for future reference please be careful with your words. Hugs. 

Fixed it.  Now, please fix yours.  Thank you.

• Love 1
On 7/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, Scarlett45 said:

On a light note 

https://www.unique-vintage.com/collections/beetlejuice-x-unique-vintage

This is so amazing I’m dying. Interestingly my sister LOVES the movie Beetlejuice- which is odd cause it’s not Disney or Christmas nor does it have puppies in it (she also loves the “Buddies” movies with the golden retriever puppies). Maybe it’s the colors and the physical comedy. 

In serious news my cousin is back in the hospital. He had another stroke and is on dialysis. He stopped taking his kidney medicine! I wonder if this was a form of self harm? He was doing well and the COVID-19 hit and he was so isolated. I talked with his sister (also my cousin, he lives with her) and she said they were going to get him another phone charger (his got lost) so he can FaceTime but he’s concerned about his depression. If he doesn’t want to talk to me I respect that, but he’s such a beautiful human- I want him to know we value him and want him around!

On 7/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, Scarlett45 said:

No he wasn’t confused. The man is brilliant, and the strokes didn’t affect his cognition just his body. And it wasn’t a money thing either. 

When he first got sick almost 3yrs ago it was really hard on him, his personality type wasn’t suited to staying in the house, and you know how toxic masculinity harms men when they become disabled.  

I'd never heard of toxic masculinity so looked it up (because I dislike it when people ask questions they can find the answer to for themselves), but I do have to ask how common/widespread this is, and what the connection is with being disabled.  And is this what my ex suffered from when he had a cold and whined a lot?

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I'd never heard of toxic masculinity so looked it up (because I dislike it when people ask questions they can find the answer to for themselves), but I do have to ask how common/widespread this is, and what the connection is with being disabled.  And is this what my ex suffered from when he had a cold and whined a lot?

The notion that to be a “man” you have to be tough, never ask for help, aren’t allowed to be vulnerable or show weakness- some of the traits of toxic masculinity. 

My cousin is a very caring man and was an excellent caregiver to his own father AND mother before they passed, so you think he would be more centered about this, but when it’s “you” it’s different. The man didn’t want to be seen in public because he had a limp (we assured him he was still handsome and his speech was perfect). He felt like he was a burden to his sister- trust me he was not, he has most certainly been there for her and other family members, the fact that he needs help now isn’t an issue. He was working through that and accepting his “new normal” and COVID-19 took away the few freedoms he had. I can believe he got really depressed. 

My grandfather suffered similarly when he became blind due Glaucoma (But he was much older). He became agoraphobic, terrified to leave the house. 

Ive noticed black men just don’t do well when they are sick or disabled, they feel their manhood has been taken away. Never mind if these men have lived upstanding lives and have ALWAYS been there for other people, they can’t handle not being “strong” (physically). Add in all the ableism in the black community, toxic masculinity, it’s a mess. I’m not saying other men don’t feel the same way but I’m black in a black family so that’s what I have intimate knowledge of. 

He’s got an entire community around him that love and support him. I know his siblings would be devastated if something happened to him (me too!)

• Love 18

Update on my sister, in case anyone is interested. It has been 32 days since her trip to the ER where they wouldn't give her a COVID test. She is still coughing and exhausted and sleeping up to 18 hours every. day. It took three weeks for her to get her test results back and it came back negative. But. She had to administer the test herself at the testing site and I've read that, though false positive results are quite rare, false negative results are not rare at all. She lives alone (with cats) and is taking care of herself reasonably well. But. She told me yesterday that the ER doc instructed her to get a stress test and now her doctor agrees, given the (false?) negative test. And she says she doesn't feel well enough to get herself out of the house to get tested. But. If this is a heart thing that has felled her for 32 days, better to find out sooner, right? I wish she had a partner to help her right about now. I'm 2500 miles away and all I can do is listen and worry.