Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

My mom who lives with me just got her adjustable bed delivered this afternoon. It’s a Serta black label, I believe, and ghr frame is from the Ashley store.  Zero G is what is up! I can’t wait for her to go out if town so I can sneak in there and take a nap. 

One of my requests upon learning that we were moving to TX for Mr. Toast's job was that we get a king mattress. We tried an adjustable Serta black label and the zero g sold us. It was delivered Tuesday (thank goodness because 45 yo me can only stand one night on an air mattress) and the base isn't quite correct but it works for the most part. After all the unpacking and bending over and punching down paper and the hard tile floors, it feels sooooo goooood to have that adjustable bed at night. And we dismissed Mr. Toast's mom when she encouraged us to get an adjustable. I am happy to eat crow about it, though. It is not cheap but it is so, so, so worth it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I want to thank whoever it was here who suggested the Angie Fox Southern Ghosthunter mystery series. They are light and distracting and suit me right now. Sorry I forgot who here recommended them but thanks.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I want to thank whoever it was here who suggested the Angie Fox Southern Ghosthunter mystery series. They are light and distracting and suit me right now. Sorry I forgot who here recommended them but thanks.

I did not suggest them but I reread them because of the suggestion. Very enjoyable.

• Love 3

Folks, I've pinned a reminder to this thread, because we keep going over the line on the Politics Policy. Read it, know it, follow it, please. I know things are stressful and upsetting, but we still need to follow the policies of the site. If you have questions about the policy, feel free to PM me. But if you mention a politician (not just national, also state, etc), political party, administration member, political body, etc, your post will be removed and you may be warned. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

One of my requests upon learning that we were moving to TX for Mr. Toast's job was that we get a king mattress. We tried an adjustable Serta black label and the zero g sold us. It was delivered Tuesday (thank goodness because 45 yo me can only stand one night on an air mattress) and the base isn't quite correct but it works for the most part. After all the unpacking and bending over and punching down paper and the hard tile floors, it feels sooooo goooood to have that adjustable bed at night. And we dismissed Mr. Toast's mom when she encouraged us to get an adjustable. I am happy to eat crow about it, though. It is not cheap but it is so, so, so worth it. 

With your adjustable bed, is the mattress a standard or hybrid that has coils and foam?  I've been reading so much about it, but, I'm still on the fence. 

39 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Is anyone else no longer being taken to the last post read in a thread? Suddenly I have to wash the entire page to find out where I left off reading.

Same for me.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That was me! I love those books.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With your adjustable bed, is the mattress a standard or hybrid that has coils and foam?  I've been reading so much about it, but, I'm still on the fence. 

It's a hybrid mattress. We had actually bought a queen size hybrid about 2 years ago and loved so we knew we were going to do another hybrid. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Is anyone else no longer being taken to the last post read in a thread? Suddenly I have to scroll the entire page to find out where I left off reading.

Yes, noticed it started last night.  It takes me to the top of the page every time so I have a lengthy scroll down to look for the first new post.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Is anyone else no longer being taken to the last post read in a thread? Suddenly I have to scroll the entire page to find out where I left off reading.

didnt know that was an option!! i do the old scroll through. how would i join all you smartie pants folks and find the way to do it faster?

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, awaken said:

Yes, noticed it started last night.  It takes me to the top of the page every time so I have a lengthy scroll down to look for the first new post.

It's not happening to me!  Am I special?!?!

• Love 6

A swim sounds good. My nephew has a pool, but I think they had family from his GF’s family over today.  Plus, I’m still not feeling comfortable with socializing.

After I get caught up on all my cases, I’m going to take a full day at the nearby lake. I can take all I need in my car and reserve a campsite on the water.  At least it’ll be a change of scenery with lovely views.  My friends and I can drive separately and sit 6 feet apart. Hopefully, it’ll be cooler in a few weeks. My nephew just got a pontoon boat, but, I’m going to wait before doing that as well due to covid. 

• Love 9

we took a long drive to the coast today, had brunch on a patio and then drove home another route. it was beautiful out. i love the ocean and what little i saw today was not enough. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Anybody doing anything fun this weekend? A coworker has a pool, and invited me over for the afternoon. It definitely helped to take a load of stress off! 🙌🏻

Sounds nice!

I’m working. 😁😞

• Love 4

@ChiCricket, diatomaceous earth may help. Here is a PDF from Colorado State about bird mites: Bird Mites

I did laundry today, too. I don't have hook-ups in my apartment, but my best friend does so I bought the washer/dry set and put it in her apartment. Now I have a nice cool place to do laundry and someone to chat with. (She & her husband are in my quarantine bubble)

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Thank you! HAve you read her other series, as well? Wondering if I should dip into those.

I haven't yet, but they are on my list. I'm currently making my way through Juliet Blackwell's haunted home renovation series, which another poster here recommended. It's like a Small Talk book club!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Anybody doing anything fun this weekend? A coworker has a pool, and invited me over for the afternoon. It definitely helped to take a load of stress off! 🙌🏻

That sounds really fun! I’m glad you got to get out. My friend’s mom has a pool (not a typical thing in the Chicago suburbs) and I will probably go before the summer is over. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I haven't yet, but they are on my list. I'm currently making my way through Juliet Blackwell's haunted home renovation series, which another poster here recommended. It's like a Small Talk book club!

That was me! We are our own book club so far!

• Love 5

There is a forum section for books on this site, if you guys are interested in checking it out. It's pretty chill and I'm always finding books to add to my Goodreads list when I read those threads 😊

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

If any of you are sci-fi readers the Lady Astronaut series is excellent. If you dont like spoilers don’t read the short story first because the series is a prequel to it; there is one more full length novel that’s coming next year that is set before the short story. It’s very timely reading. 

• Love 5

We had a pretty peaceful weekend. We took the girls to my parents' house on Saturday to stay the night. They hadn't seen them since February (I saw my parents briefly in March when I dropped off some quarantine supplies for them). They all had a ton of fun! I was fighting off a bad headache most of the day so I appreciated the peace once we got home. Husband and I played Animal Crossing, watched soccer, ordered takeout, and watched a movie. Picked the girls up today and stayed to have lunch, and I grabbed a bunch of my childhood chapter books while there. It makes me ridiculously happy to see my huge stack of Baby-Sitters Club books. And now I'm on a mission to try to fill in the gaps in my American Girl book collection so I can read those with the girls! 

Hope everyone else had a nice weekend!

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I’m having the same problem.

mine has been like that for at least a month - i haven't figured out any way to change a setting or correct it in any way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Are you sure you are signed in?  Maybe you somehow unsigned yourself.

Speaking of which, another thing that keeps happening is that it randomly signs me out in the midst of reading.  Suddenly I"ll be logged out and have to log in again multiple times.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A swim sounds good. My nephew has a pool, but I think they had family from his GF’s family over today.  Plus, I’m still not feeling comfortable with socializing.

After I get caught up on all my cases, I’m going to take a full day at the nearby lake. I can take all I need in my car and reserve a campsite on the water.  At least it’ll be a change of scenery with lovely views.  My friends and I can drive separately and sit 6 feet apart. Hopefully, it’ll be cooler in a few weeks. My nephew just got a pontoon boat, but, I’m going to wait before doing that as well due to covid. 

That sounds amazing! Going to the lake is a good socially distanced thing to do. My friend and I sat on opposite sides of the pool, which was a fun, socially distanced friend date!

• Love 6

Mine has been doing it for some time now...it's worse in the last couple of days than it's been, but doesn't really go backward but a few posts, maybe five or six, most of the time.

It's also started, in the last couple of days, to periodically just go black for a split second, then come back again. Seems to be happening with more regularity, especially when I am scrolling close to an ad.

• Love 1

I have been married for over 40 years and all of that time plus our dating, which equals about 45 years, I've been putting up with my know-it-all sister-in-law (not a sister in love, Duggars!). She picks picks picks at people, especially me, to prove that she is the best in every situation. Based on an early assessment, I decided that she doesn't like herself and is insecure, so I've taken the high road again and again as the years go by. FB allowed her to pick at me publicly, which was a new wrinkle. She's dishonest and judgemental and she talks endlessly, mostly boasting about herself and her kids. Honestly, her annoying comments and posts are one of the many reasons I quit FB. But that caused her find other ways to annoy me and since we can't meet in person, she picked at me via a group text yesterday. I didn't respond and I decided to kind of ghost her. She probably won't notice, as she's so full of herself. If she does, I'll finally tell her why I'm distancing from her. One good thing about quarantine is that it makes it easier to distance from people you don't want to be around anyway!

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I have been married for over 40 years and all of that time plus our dating, which equals about 45 years, I've been putting up with my know-it-all sister-in-law (not a sister in love, Duggars!). She picks picks picks at people, especially me, to prove that she is the best in every situation. Based on an early assessment, I decided that she doesn't like herself and is insecure, so I've taken the high road again and again as the years go by. FB allowed her to pick at me publicly, which was a new wrinkle. She's dishonest and judgemental and she talks endlessly, mostly boasting about herself and her kids. Honestly, her annoying comments and posts are one of the many reasons I quit FB. But that caused her find other ways to annoy me and since we can't meet in person, she picked at me via a group text yesterday. I didn't respond and I decided to kind of ghost her. She probably won't notice, as she's so full of herself. If she does, I'll finally tell her why I'm distancing from her. One good thing about quarantine is that it makes it easier to distance from people you don't want to be around anyway!

That's really too bad.  Man, I wish people would not be so mean.  Sometimes, it's the ones who act like they like you, but, then say and do things that say otherwise.  Have you ever read much about Narcissistic Personality Disorder?  I had heard of it for years, before, I finally did some reading on it. It answered some questions for me about a couple of people I had known in my life. Especially, as to why some people can be so unexplicably mean.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That's really too bad.  Man, I wish people would not be so mean.  Sometimes, it's the ones who act like they like you, but, then say and do things that say otherwise.  Have you ever read much about Narcissistic Personality Disorder?  I had heard of it for years, before, I finally did some reading on it. It answered some questions for me about a couple of people I had known in my life. Especially, as to why some people can be so unexplicably mean.  

Thank you @SunnyBeBe. I will look for a book on NPD. I'd like to respond to her attacks from a position of strength. I recognize that I have a part in this, since I've allowed it for a very long time. I avoid confrontation. I have had plenty of time for self reflection during this pandemic. 

• Love 8
(edited)
21 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Thank you @SunnyBeBe. I will look for a book on NPD. I'd like to respond to her attacks from a position of strength. I recognize that I have a part in this, since I've allowed it for a very long time. I avoid confrontation. I have had plenty of time for self reflection during this pandemic. 

It sounds more like your SIL in jealous of you than being narcissistic. There is absolutely no rule stating we must remain friends with, or in contact with, family. If you're into some self-help reading, I would look up boundaries. Something most of us are rarely taught.

And think every family has a person like your SIL. No fun being the target!

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 10
(edited)
35 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I'm not sure if that's your situation with her, but, I have encountered it with some people over the years. After lots of reading, I concluded, mind you this is not scientific, lol, that these people can be masters of disguise and they show themselves in a wonderful light to many people.  It's only certain people who will ever see the real person.  And it's not pretty. They are very devious and can be very cruel, if it serves their purpose.  They have an insatiable need for attention and praise. If you don't fall in line, you'll likely be a target.  I found the best thing was to avoid them as much as possible. I let them think they are winning and that keeps them at bay.  You'll never win an argument with them or convince them of anything.  They have no mercy or compassion, so, they would never really care about how much you are hurt. 

Some people are just jealous and mean about it, but, with others it's a whole other level.  They are often driven to control everything and do not do well if they can't totally control things.  They also lie a lot.  It's a spectrum of traits, but, if must people who have endured an experience with a Narcissist will immediately recognize it.  It's off the charts really. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

Sorry to change the subject, but I need to get out a wee vent. There was a fishing camp my grandson really really wanted to go to. He had to promise to isolate in his room for 3 weeks before it began so there would be no possible Covid there. Bless him he did, although they did allow him out alone to work with the animals and get some fresh air. He did it all correctly. He ate in his room and kept himself occupied and communicated by walkie talkie and his phone to all. He is 12. That is no small feat when you have the amount of energy he does! He went to the camp Monday and came home Friday. Saturday my daughter gets a call that his counselor has tested positive for virus and now he and the rest of the family has to go get tested. They are sure one of the kids gave it to him. The worst part is that they all have to stay in isolation until the testing is done. I think the waiting period is around 10 days now, but it can be longer. The parents are scared of losing their jobs and how they are going to get food. (I suspect another family member up their way will deliver groceries to their door). Dang. If my grandson could follow protocol, why couldn’t all of the rest of the campers and staff? So my child is upset and the whole family feels as tho they are being targeted. (I suspect they aren’t, but I can see why they might feel that way). Well I hope to see them Christmas if all is well by then. I miss them dearly. I’m also worried because my granddaughter has breathing issues and something like this could kill her. The 12 year old is back in isolation. I think the younger set has it the worst. In their early years they had tastes of freedom. Nowadays the world has changed everything and their freedom to go to school, play (esp sports) and do group activities are no more. I wouldn’t have sent him to the camp in the first place, but I’m not the mother in this instance. 

@Mindthinkr, I'm sorry this is happening to your family. I can't imagine being 12 and isolating myself in my room for 2 weeks just to end up back there b/c someone else didn't. I hope their tests are all negative.

I'm with you, though. I would not have sent him to camp in the first place. I think all the outbreaks at camps for kids is a preview of what is going to happen when the schools open.

• Love 7