Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

On 8/2/2020 at 3:31 PM, magpye29 said:

So I went to TJMaxx yesterday,looking to replace a mug I bought for my daughter, which had gotten chipped on the way home. I found two pairs of pants and a couple of other small things, so I decided to buy one of their bags for 99 cents. The cashier spends a couple of minutes taking the pants off the hangers and folding them neatly, then informs me that *I* will have to put them in the bag myself because they're not allowed to do that for fear of contamination! So they can touch all over the items you've handled to buy, fold them and whatnot, but they can't put them in their bag that you plucked off the rack and only touched the handle of because somehow it might spread the virus?! WTAF??

I've had this same WTF moment at Bath & Body Works. They make you take one of their bags to put whatever you are buying in. Then when I get to checkout, the girl has me take everything out because she said she can't. Then proceeds to pick it up to scan them and puts them back in the bag. Made no sense whatsoever.

22 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I have pics of my family all over my house (like everyone, I know).  I’m in the early process of leaving a note behind the pic in the frames for all of them.  I know I could live to be 100 and things could change.  But I’m not telling any of them that I’m doing it.  I’m just jotting down notes about the person in the picture and leaving it for them to find. How much they mean to me, how I love them.  Something I remember about them (a story).  In my one grandsons (who is so so so special to me, he is my sunshine), I recalled a time we were at the beach.  He was probably 12 that year, too old to be holding hands, and not so cuddly any more.  There was a harsh hard wave current going on, and I went out with him.  Those waves nearly beat my old fat ass to DEATH, and yet.  I stayed out there with him for probably 2 hours bc he held my hand and wanted me, his old fat Giggy, to be out there with him.  We would get knocked flat and driven along, we’d stand up and he’d reach for my hand again so we could get knocked down together.  He laughed SO HARD that day.  It’s a memory you couldn’t pry from me with a crowbar.  I didn’t need that particular day to know how much he loved me, how much he enjoyed me, how much my time meant to him - but it was some really sweet icing on the cake.   

I just think it’ll be a really cool Easter egg hunt for them to each find a note from me behind their pics.  It’s not funny, but I have an image (I’m VIVID, I tell ya!) of 10 people running down to the Salvation Army collection to get pics back when one of them realizes there are notes inside.  Haha!!!

i love this group.  Thank you for letting me Back in the door.  It’s all about the secret knock.

This is why we have all missed @Happyfatchick and are so glad she came back. She posts something amazing she is doing, shares a touching story about it and throws in one line that probably made more than just me to laugh out loud. Don't stay away that long ever again Happyfatchick,  you and your stories were missed!

• Love 10
Just now, madpsych78 said:

Not sure whether to put here since it was based off of the Jerry Falwell Jr. link, the Religion thread, or the Vuolo thread, but there is another story on that same site about John MacArthur threatened with arrest.

had seen that and wondered if it was the same church as jeremey supposedly goes to.

also, you all may remember i shared a scary post about a CT scan i had taken a few weeks ago. well, i STILL dont have the straight results yet. got a call on a saturday from my doctor and he said  i had to retake it with contrast.  i know a surgeon was consulted on the first one because my doctor told me. however, i have no results yet and no true idea what may be there or not.  it sounds scary. i filed a grievance tonight with my medical group for them being so slow to get me the results. covid or not, there is no excuse a STAT test takes 8+ days to get read and a report given to the doctor! think good thoughts because i am not expecting positive news.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jeeves said:

However, I have August and September, and most of October, in which to enjoy my outdoor walks. And, I'm hatching plans to get out of here and go somewhere warm for at least January and February. It has to do with the old minivan I bought. My first two-night camping trip in it (to a state park 4 hours from here) is coming up in a couple of weeks. I hope that I like the experience, and hope to do more little trips like that in the next few months. Both as a nice break from sitting at home, and as practice to fine-tune my setup and learn from experience. Because I'd love to figure out an itinerary, probably AZ and NM, for camping in the van on extended road trips in January and February. 

I'd assumed that the second row seats in the minivan would be too heavy for me to remove unassisted. Well, hallelujah! I managed to do that myself; got them out and stored away. May need help to replace them if I ever want to do that. I'm planning to pay a mechanic to do the tricky job of removing the third row seats. They are permanently installed but I want them gone. They fold flat but if they aren't there, there's a nice sized storage area I can make use of. 

So between messing with my old minivan and poking my nose outdoors more often, and working, and talking to people on the phone, I'm hanging onto my so-called sanity. But damn, I have relatives in Houston who've had COVID, and cancer, and I can't go see them. I have good friends here who are in bad health and have basically (and prudently) self-quarantined, and I haven't seen them for months now. All of that hurts my heart.

I am so jealous of your planned adventures! Camping in a minivan is exactly what I could picture myself doing. My DH on the other hand, not so much. We were all set to buy a pop up camper when he announced he didn't really think he could tow a camper. We've never towed anything, but I assumed we could practice. We have a tent, cots and all the stuff we need to camp, I just need to convince him we should go! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Hi everybody.  I just wanted to post an update about my cat life.  I adopted 2 cats!  One came home 2 Sundays ago, and the other arrived yesterday.  They didn't know each other, so the first day was kind of rough and dramatic (lots of hissing, growling and chasing).  But today they've been able to tolerate each other and exist in the same space, with the appropriate social distancing, of course.  Introducing Willa (brown) and Ivy (black and white):

Willa resized.jpg

Ivy resized.jpg

Willa and Ivy resized.jpg

What cuties!

38 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Good thoughts going your way @zoomama .

Ditto @zoomama

• Love 7
On 8/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, MargeGunderson said:

It’s totally irrational for me to be annoyed at all the people there, since obviously I was intending to go there, but I think it was that it seemed like everyone was in groups. It looked like there were entire extended families there! Admittedly I live in a state with low numbers but they are starting to tick up again. I’m just pissed that people are starting to act like everything is back to normal when it’s not. 

@MargeGunderson, I have the same problem in my area. The numbers are low to start with and unless you're willing to look them up on the official state site, neither the health department or the newspaper is publishing them. They also will not publish the name of any business that has an outbreak. We've had 19 deaths in my county and 18 of them were all from the same care facility.

23 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

To @marypat57, I have pics of my family all over my house (like everyone, I know).  I’m in the early process of leaving a note behind the pic in the frames for all of them.  I know I could live to be 100 and things could change.  But I’m not telling any of them that I’m doing it.  I’m just jotting down notes about the person in the picture and leaving it for them to find. How much they mean to me, how I love them.  Something I remember about them (a story).    

I just think it’ll be a really cool Easter egg hunt for them to each find a note from me behind their pics.  It’s not funny, but I have an image (I’m VIVID, I tell ya!) of 10 people running down to the Salvation Army collection to get pics back when one of them realizes there are notes inside.  Haha!!!

i love this group.  Thank you for letting me Back in the door.  It’s all about the secret knock.

Welcome back, @Happyfatchick! I think putting notes on the back of the pictures is such an awesome idea. No matter when you pass, your family will cherish these stories. 

3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Ahhh tell them to go fuck a duck if they don’t like it! Earning a Ph.D. is no small feat, and the people that I know don’t want to refer to me as Dr. Chips are the exact people who I insist call me by my title. Yeah, I know, I’m petty. 

Amen! If you've earned a Ph.D., you should make anyone petty enough to complain about it call you doctor. 

@Scarlett45, you have so much on your plate. I'm glad you got to have lunch with your godmother after all and I hope for a fast and safe resolution to your aunt's hoarding situation.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

Hi everybody.  I just wanted to post an update about my cat life.  I adopted 2 cats!  One came home 2 Sundays ago, and the other arrived yesterday.  They didn't know each other, so the first day was kind of rough and dramatic (lots of hissing, growling and chasing).  But today they've been able to tolerate each other and exist in the same space, with the appropriate social distancing, of course.  Introducing Willa (brown) and Ivy (black and white):

Willa resized.jpg

Ivy resized.jpg

Look at those gorgeous kitties!!

and look at what my friend sent me!

DDAB90F0-51B1-42ED-9635-6E8DD7A0160B.jpeg

• LOL 19
  • Love 4

Not my picture, but this is from a local (PA) farm’s Facebook. It’s from the wind last night. We’re supposed to get 3-5” of rain tomorrow. It’s also supposed to be raining right now, and it’s not. 🤷🏼‍♀️

3D7997F2-3297-4AA4-9AF3-7B5EA483AFBA.jpeg

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Not my picture, but this is from a local (PA) farm’s Facebook. It’s from the wind last night. We’re supposed to get 3-5” of rain tomorrow. It’s also supposed to be raining right now, and it’s not. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Damn!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Seven years ago, in early August, nearly everyone in a 50 square mile area woke up at 1226 am.  Without any Weather Service hint, watch or warning, the sky exploded with thunder,  lightning, and it was eventually determined 7 different tornados.  I woke up hearing the railroad train sound.  What I heard was eventually tracked on the ground three miles to the east. Not a close call but quite the scary night. And many a county park is still dealing with the dead fall.  

Anyway,  two days later I drove just to the south in dairy farm country to see the worst of the damage and follow the various tornado tracks.  Unlike this picture, field after field of corn was filled with totally denuded stalks.  The stalks stood tall.  But empty.  Eerie and unforgettable.

59 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

That looks like what happened to my tomato plants a few weeks ago when we got a random wind storm with 60+ mph winds (and no rain). That was the same storm that knocked out my power for almost 12 hours. 

We had a freak tornado in October in my city almost two years ago that went right through the middle of a heavily populated area (there hadn't been a tornado in that area since the 70s) and some stores and homes are still not fixed. I accidentally turned down one of the streets that was hit about a month after (I try not to be an "damage tourist") and it was insane. One side of the street was totally fine and the other side was a war zone--trees stripped bare, second stories of houses just gone, cars flipped over, etc. I could see the tornado from my house that night, it was a few miles north of me. Weather can be crazy. 

Speaking of weather, Mindthinkr, I hope you're safe with the hurricane on its way to the Carolinas. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CouchTater said:

Willa resized.jpg

Ivy resized.jpg

Pretty kitties! Congrats! I have never had baby fever, I think my ovaries were just never interested and now it's too late for them, but I follow the place we adopted our younger kitty from on Facebook and I have a bad case of kitten fever. We adopted our batch prior to the current one at three weeks old and I yearn for tiny ones like that.

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Congratulations @CouchTater! Bring those cuties over to the pet thread for introductions. We love meeting new members. 

Wait, there's a pet thread?!

• Love 5

I’m in N.C.  Watching the news now. It’s supposed to come through around 2:00 a.m.  I was actually upstairs in a house for a pretty bad hurricane years ago. I don’t think it’s even close to that one, so, I’m hoping for the best.  There’ll likely be flooding, but, I’m praying there won’t be  too much wind damage. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Pretty kitties! Congrats! I have never had baby fever, I think my ovaries were just never interested and now it's too late for them, but I follow the place we adopted our younger kitty from on Facebook and I have a bad case of kitten fever. We adopted our batch prior to the current one at three weeks old and I yearn for tiny ones like that.

Wait, there's a pet thread?!

That was my thought!!! I have cats!

And then I discovered the NBA thread because I had just watched The Last Dance and I wanted to know what people thought of it (I was in junior high/high school and living in Chicagoland during the Bulls championship era).

• Love 1

sooo, got an email from my dr last night with the "STAT" results.  he isnt sure whats going on so he is urgent referring me to two surgeons, an ENT and a vascular . also, as far as the 'spots' on my lungs, he has ordered a repeat CT in oct/nov. GAH!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, zoomama said:

sooo, got an email from my dr last night with the "STAT" results.  he isnt sure whats going on so he is urgent referring me to two surgeons, an ENT and a vascular . also, as far as the 'spots' on my lungs, he has ordered a repeat CT in oct/nov. GAH!

Oh my. Scary to have that happening. I hope it all turns out to be nothing or something very easily treatable. Calming, healing, supportive thoughts coming your way. Frontal air hugs.

• Love 8

Happyfatchick:   Here’s a few more grandma stories:

She never left her house without her ‘rouge’ and perfume.  Even when we would pick her up to bring her to our house in the suburbs, she would insist on prettying herself up.  We always asked her if she was trying to get a date with the toll collector on the bridge.

When her ancient black and white tv finally bit the dust, she bought a color set.  One night after it had been delivered, she called my mom in a panic.  Turns out she was watching an old b&w rerun, and she thought that since it was a color tv, that everything would be in color.

A final story.  Grandma was 80 years old and along with my mom, they were taking their first plane trip to a southern state to visit my mom’s brother who was dying of lung cancer.  Grandma had a window seat and for most of the ride enjoyed looking at the scenery.  At one point, they were above the clouds, and it didn’t look like the plane was moving.  She nervously tapped my mom on the shoulder and whispered “I think the plane’s stopped”.    My mom calmly explained to her that the plane was still moving, even if she couldn’t see it.  The man in the seat in front of the had a good laugh..

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

Update. We had no power outage and no damage.  What a relief.  I was finally able to get to sleep, but, missed quite a bit. My friends who live at or near the beach are fine, though, lost power.    Some others weren't so fortunate though.  A tornado caused by the storm destroyed 10 homes in Bertie County and killed two people. Just horrible.  Here's some footage.  I can't imagine the power of that tornado to do that kind of damage. 

https://abc11.com/

• Love 3
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

I'm sending hugs and prayers Zoomama.  🙏

• Love 7

I’m glad everyone has had minimal damage from the storm. It hasn’t arrived in my area yet, and we aren’t in the direct path. But we have a tornado warning until tonight, along with thunderstorm and wind warnings. My fear is power outages. It’s hot here!

@Ohiopirate02, happy birthday! 🎂

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 7

Glad that all in the storm areas are safe.  Hoping that continues.  

I'm sorry about your health situation Zoomama.  You've done everything right.  There must be answers soon.  Sending prayers up for your prompt diagnosis and treatment. 

Ohiopirate02, so glad you are safe.  Have a wonderful BIRTHDAY!!!🎂

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also made it through the storm just fine.  Woke up to a large tree branch on my driveway, but no other damage.  Didn't have to go in to work until 12, so I could lounge around on my birthday morning.  

Happy birthday!!!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also made it through the storm just fine.  Woke up to a large tree branch on my driveway, but no other damage.  Didn't have to go in to work until 12, so I could lounge around on my birthday morning.  

It's my birthday, too!  Happy Birthday!

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

ALRIGHT!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUZN!  Let's have a party!   lol   🎂

Thanks for all the birthday greetings!  I could use a party!  😊

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Mrs. P. said:

It's also the Duchess of Sussex's birthday. Maybe she could join your party!

Absolutely!  Also Obama's birthday and Richard Belzer's.

Edited by Suzn
Wrong word!!!
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Absolutely!  Always Obama's birthday and Richard Belzer's.

I didn't know I shared a birthday with John Munch.  I knew about Obama and the Duchess of Sussex, and also the Queen Mum.  

Happy Birthday to you as well.  I am trying to figure out where to go to get a dirty martini and a steak.

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Thanks for all the birthday greetings!  I could use a party!  😊

Whenever I'm looking at covid in my rear view mirror, I'm going to really have a grand party.  🎇🎆🍸🎶🙌

• Love 10