Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, that was fast. Ref. what we were discussing about Jerry Falwell. He has taken a leave of absence. (Subsequent to his bizarre posing with woman with his pants undone,  showing underwear and holding a dark beverage, that he claimed was ink colored water.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/07/liberty-university-jerry-falwell-jr-taking-leave-of-absence/3323429001/

Interesting that the article doesn't indicate whether he will continue to collect his salary while on leave.  I suspect he will continue to collect the million bucks a year he is reported to be making.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, that was fast. Ref. what we were discussing about Jerry Falwell. He has taken a leave of absence. (Subsequent to his bizarre posing with woman with his pants undone,  showing underwear and holding a dark beverage, that he claimed was ink colored water.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/07/liberty-university-jerry-falwell-jr-taking-leave-of-absence/3323429001/

YES! I was coming here to post that. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

Interesting that the article doesn't indicate whether he will continue to collect his salary while on leave.  I suspect he will continue to collect the million bucks a year he is reported to be making.

Yeah....I will guess that he’s in need of professional care. It may be a difficult come back. Idk. I hope someone is watching him about now. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah....I will guess that he’s in need of professional care. It may be a difficult come back. Idk. I hope someone is watching him about now. 

Maybe he could put in some time at Josh's Jesus jail.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It may be a difficult come back.

He’ll cry. He’ll claim he has thrown himself on God’s mercy begging Him for forgiveness for letting Sa’n (TM JillR) build a fortress in his heart...and then Jesus sent him a DM saying all is forgiven. Then it will be magically erased from the annals of time. Back to business as usual.

Asshole. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

I didn't see anyone appointed in the myriad articles I read.

I'm envisioning a strident and not very Christ-like power struggle! 🤣

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I’ve been doing some reading on Falwell’s history.  This type of thing isn’t brand new, from what I’m reading.  Even the stuff on Wikipedia is pretty shocking.  It seems he’s been kept on a long leash. I’ve struggled to find anything positive about him.....still, his appearance, voice and explanation are troubling. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm not really a musical fan, so despite being a history buff and a music fan, I never could get into Hamilton. I like Sweeney Todd and Fiddler on the Roof, and that's about it. I just don't cope well psychologically with people breaking into song. LOL

I love musicals, but not history so much. 😂

• Love 4

Sadly, Sally Samsung bit the dust too early, so we missed out on the ice ball feature.  We do have cubed and crushed, which is my jam.  As for the knock feature, the best use we've found is knowing what canned beverages are available.  Mr. Six drinks Bubly & A-Ha sparkling water, and they fit perfectly in the door on the top shelf.  It's an unneeded feature, but a good conversation starter.  Not that we're conversing with anyone at the moment, or pre Covid for that matter, but you get the picture.

Along with being a professional engineer, Mr. Six is also a certified plumbing designer.  He was supposed to attend a trade-show convention in September, and since it was scheduled for New Orleans, I was going to go with him.  It was officially canceled this week.  The MD State Fair was also canceled this week.  At this rate, we are planning on Thanksgiving just being the two of us, which is going to feel very weird.  I'm glad I got back into my adult coloring books again.  I took an 18-month break, but I found the joy in it once more.  It's been keeping me busy, and gives me a bit of a distraction from all the pain.  I'm pretty sure I can find numerous 100-year-old people that are in better health than I am right now.  40 is just awesome 🥴.

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been doing some reading on Falwell’s history.  This type of thing isn’t brand new, from what I’m reading.  Even the stuff on Wikipedia is pretty shocking.  It seems he’s been kept on a long leash. I’ve struggled to find anything positive about him.....still, his appearance, voice and explanation are troubling. 

You are a much nicer person than I am, I hope he goes down in flames. He would have brought down fire and brimstone if it had been someone else in this situation instead of himself. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 20
5 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

If you think you're the outlier, I'm on another planet. DH and I started watching Hamilton the week it was on Disney+ and paused it when I had to get up. Neither of us has any interest in resuming. 

LOL, we’ve never seen Hamilton and have no desire to!  I’m happy for others who enjoy it though!  

• Love 10

Politico has a pretty good article from last year on what a raging asshole Falwell Jr. is and how even people at Liberty hated him. Something tells me there may have been quite the line of people just waiting for him to do something so awful they could take him out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

You are a much nicer person than I am, I hope he goes down in flames. He would have brought down fire and brimstone if this had been someone else in this situation instead of himself. 

The Trailer Park Boys cosplay doesn't even work. The boys don't run around with their pants undone. Although Falwell seems to think he was Julian with a drink in hand. Yes, I love TPB. 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm not really a musical fan, so despite being a history buff and a music fan, I never could get into Hamilton. I like Sweeney Todd and Fiddler on the Roof, and that's about it. I just don't cope well psychologically with people breaking into song. LOL

It's so interesting how some people just love musicals while others find that random breaking into song somehow weirds them out. I keep trying to understand the latter, and I guess I kind of see it when I see how antsy Mr Jyn gets, even though he is a big fan of music in general. I just love them, though...

One of these days we will have to try watching Les Miz. I've always wanted to see it, and my daughter actually got me the DVD for Christmas years and years ago (before we moved here, I think), but I never wanted to watch it by myself, and no one else wanted to watch it with me, so it's somewhere, still not broken into. However, Mr Jyn has recently discovered that he really likes some of the songs after going down rabbit holes on YouTube/Whatever Country's got talent, so he sort of wants to see them in context. I know I'll probably cry through half of it, though, so he'll probably get peeved with me, or at least roll his eyes a lot...

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It's so interesting how some people just love musicals while others find that random breaking into song somehow weirds them out. I keep trying to understand the latter, and I guess I kind of see it when I see how antsy Mr Jyn gets, even though he is a big fan of music in general. I just love them, though...

One of these days we will have to try watching Les Miz. I've always wanted to see it, and my daughter actually got me the DVD for Christmas years and years ago (before we moved here, I think), but I never wanted to watch it by myself, and no one else wanted to watch it with me, so it's somewhere, still not broken into. However, Mr Jyn has recently discovered that he really likes some of the songs after going down rabbit holes on YouTube/Whatever Country's got talent, so he sort of wants to see them in context. I know I'll probably cry through half of it, though, so he'll probably get peeved with me, or at least roll his eyes a lot...

I can't even explain why logically it bothers me. I like theater of the absurd and plays and opera, and I often like musical songs on their own. So, I have no idea why I have such a suspension of disbelief when a character in a musical is suddenly like, "I've got all the feels and I'm going to share them with you in song and dance!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I saw Hamilton in Chicago with my daughter as a birthday gift for her a few years back. musicals are not my thing but I loved it.

Had the grand kids here recently for the first time this year due to covid and they are all about Disney Descendants, silly stories where they stop to break into song and dance. they love it so I watched. God I hated every minute of that crap. not sure if that counts as musicals or just bad Disney movies....

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

I can't even explain why logically it bothers me. I like theater of the absurd and plays and opera, and I often like musical songs on their own. So, I have no idea why I have such a suspension of disbelief when a character in a musical is suddenly like, "I've got all the feels and I'm going to share them with you in song and dance!"

Have to say that I just adore the way you explained this, even though it still doesn't make sense (well, evidently it can't nor does it need to!). Plus, how could I even think of arguing with a fellow Opera fan?

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 3
30 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Have to say that I just adore the way you explained this, even though it still doesn't make sense (well, evidently it can't nor does it need to!). Plus, how could I even think of arguing with a fellow Opera fan?

Haha yes I can't even pretend it makes sense!

What are some of your favorite operas?

Eureka Springs has an excellent summer opera program every year that brings in young up and coming singers from all over the country. (Cancelled this year of course). I've been three times, and they're always so good! And last year they gave out free ice cream too! 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My love of musicals began and ended with Jersey Boys. I could see that every day and not get tired of it! Then someone told me Wicked was far better. I went to see it and was majorly underwhelmed. Give me Jersey Boys any day of the week!

• Love 1

I LOVE musicals.  Both Broadway and movie.  As a musician,  I had the pleasure to play in pit orchestras from high school through touring professional productions.  Pretty much paid the rent during my early teaching years.

The last new production I attended, with my sister and several nephews in our efforts to make them well rounded, was Wicked.  Wonderful book.  Horrific music. I could hum along without ever hearing the featured songs because the music was so predictable.

AND .... I am done with synthesizers over real instruments.  Just a jumble of loud, repetitive, tinny sounding cacophony.

Classic musicals were a combo of book,  music and dance.  And many classic musicals often dealt with difficult matter ... Show Boat and Carousel are very difficult.  There are so many more I could go on forever.  But these musicals are filled with memorable SONGS!   So, until a musical piece from Hamilton becomes a classic hit,  I will stick to Gore Vidal's book,  Burr.

• Love 3

If you can, please a prayer for my brother tonight. He was in a car accident. Waiting on details. He was airlifted to hospital, so I think it’s serious. I’ll post when I know more. As you can imagine we are very scared and hoping it’s not too bad. 

12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If you can, please a prayer for my brother tonight. He was in a car accident. Waiting on details. He was airlifted to hospital, so I think it’s serious. I’ll post when I know more. As you can imagine we are very scared and hoping it’s not too bad. 

Praying SunnyBeBe.

• Love 5

A happening Friday night during COVID-19 is driving to Fresh Farms to purchase a watermelon (and one for my Mom) and fresh cilantro, understanding why contraception fails because so many people have their masks UNDER their noses and breaking down my Mom’s watermelon and taking the rind to the alley so she has chilled pieces for breakfast tomorrow. 

Im now watching The Best Man because I’m in a romcom mood. 

14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes of course. I know you’re worried. Keep us updated if you want to. 

• Love 9

I am very much used to having a minority opinion...  I have sampled each song in the soundtrack of Hamilton and I really don't care for the style of music and for me it just clashes terribly with the historical period. I didn't hear any song that would stay with me which is odd since songs "play" in my head constantly.  I'm not going to try to trash the show because  I know it is much loved by most people.  I am relieved to know that not everyone loves it.

I love musicals.  I think you either accept the conventions of musicals or some dissonance sets in and you can't get past it.  To me, it is like accepting science fiction, fantasy or comic book movies.  Walking down the street and breaking into song and dance is no less realistic than what you see in an Avengers movie.  I just go somewhere in my mind where these things are possible.  It helps when it is done well, like the seamless way Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers could slip into song and dance and it helps when there are magnificent songs like those in Carousel, Show Boat, Oklahoma and South Pacific.

@SunnyBeBe I hope you get good news about your brother.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 11
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Praying for your brother, @SunnyBeBe

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Trailer Park Boys cosplay doesn't even work. The boys don't run around with their pants undone. Although Falwell seems to think he was Julian with a drink in hand. Yes, I love TPB. 😁

I've never heard of the Trailer Park Boys. Who are they?

59 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm praying for you. I hope your brother is okay. 

• Love 3

All this talk about musicals made me realize how different some are from others. I'm definitely in the, I like them, category, but I enjoy the cheesy playful ones, like Footloose, Flashdance, Dirty Dancing and the oldie but goodies, Sound Of Music and Wizard of Oz, although I think I've watched all that have been shown on TV. I've been to only one Broadway play - Cats. I have not seen Hamilton yet, but I will. I'm usually a year or two behind any movie or TV trend (which has always driven my co-workers nuts).

Healing thoughts to your brother @SunnyBeBe.

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I enjoy the cheesy playful ones, like Footloose, Flashdance, Dirty Dancing and the oldie but goodies, Sound Of Music and Wizard of Oz,

Nothing pisses me off more than surfing through the channel guide and seeing "Hey, Fame is on." or  "Yay, Footloose",  then realizing it is one of those horrible remakes.   I want to see the classics, TV programmers.  Give me the OG or nothing.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Quof said:

Nothing pisses me off more than surfing through the channel guide and seeing "Hey, Fame is on." or  "Yay, Footloose",  then realizing it is one of those horrible remakes.   I want to see the classics, TV programmers.  Give me the OG or nothing.

Same.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

healing vibes for your brother 

• Love 5

I love musicals too! I definitely am a fan of the older ones over the newer ones, though. I like classics such as the sound of music, hello dolly, Gypsy, etc. I was so fortunate to see the revival of hello dolly on broadway in 2018 with Bernadette peters! It was the best thing ever!

@Zella I love operas too! A movie theatre across the street from me used to get the met in HD, and I almost always went! I also studied opera in college. My all time fave is Le Nozze do Figaro, and I love all of Mozart’s! I also love anything Renee Fleming is in. I go see her in concert anytime she comes nearby! I really enjoyed her in the Merry Widow, which I enjoy because it’s a lot like a musical. I also really enjoyed madame butterfly!

As for Glee, I loved the first couple seasons, and then all the characters became insufferable! I especially hated Rachel, because she reminded me of this awful girl I was in choir with at the time. The girl also began to idolize lea Michele, and started acting more like that! I also felt Mr. Shue was sad in that he had no adult friends, and relies on these teens as his friend group. But they had some great songs!

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I love musicals too! I definitely am a fan of the older ones over the newer ones, though. I like classics such as the sound of music, hello dolly, Gypsy, etc. I was so fortunate to see the revival of hello dolly on broadway in 2018 with Bernadette peters! It was the best thing ever!

@Zella I love operas too! A movie theatre across the street from me used to get the met in HD, and I almost always went! I also studied opera in college. My all time fave is Le Nozze do Figaro, and I love all of Mozart’s! I also love anything Renee Fleming is in. I go see her in concert anytime she comes nearby! I really enjoyed her in the Merry Widow, which I enjoy because it’s a lot like a musical. I also really enjoyed madame butterfly!

As for Glee, I loved the first couple seasons, and then all the characters became insufferable! I especially hated Rachel, because she reminded me of this awful girl I was in choir with at the time. The girl also began to idolize lea Michele, and started acting more like that! I also felt Mr. Shue was sad in that he had no adult friends, and relies on these teens as his friend group. But they had some great songs!

I love musicals, especially the old school ones.  I saw A Chorus Line on Broadway years ago and loved it.  Also enjoyed most of Andrew Lloyd Weber's ouvre especially Jesus Christ Superstar.  Saw the touring production of Cats 35 years ago and was bored to tears.  I also saw Rent on Broadway when it was the big sensation with the original cast and didn't like it much at all.  The couple sitting next to me left at intermission and I couldn't blame them.  Just did not like it.

My local community theater does great versions of the classics like West Side Story, The King and I, etc and I've enjoyed them all.  Cleveland also has the largest theater district in the US outside of NYC and I've subscribed to their Broadway series off and on for years and enjoyed almost everything although, IMO, many of the newer musicals cannot hold a candle to the classics.

I am, however, obsessed with Hamilton and have seen it live about half a dozen times.  I am a history groupie and, after seeing LMM interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning (I think) before the show opened; I got Chernow's book and read it, fascinating stuff.  I have the CD and am constantly streaming the soundtrack on Amazon.  Love it so much. 

• Love 11