Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I am in school and almost all of my classes are online. Today I messaged a few fellow parents that I could watch their kids if they close the schools.

Meanwhile my SAHM fundie lite neighbor, whose daughter is in my twins’ class, is bitching up a storm and saying the school should pay her to watch her child if they close. Again, she is a stay at a home mom. And her MIL has Parkinson’s. It drives me bananas how people can be so selfish.

• Love 8

Because of Coronavirus, I’ve decided not to attend my 50th class reunion this weekend. That makes me sad. But close quarters with people I don’t really know anymore (and don’t know where they’ve traveled) scares me. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I am in school and almost all of my classes are online. Today I messaged a few fellow parents that I could watch their kids if they close the schools.

Meanwhile my SAHM fundie lite neighbor, whose daughter is in my twins’ class, is bitching up a storm and saying the school should pay her to watch her child if they close. Again, she is a stay at a home mom. And her MIL has Parkinson’s. It drives me bananas how people can be so selfish.

My big concern with closing schools is who is going to feed breakfast and lunch to the 60 percent plus who are free lunch eligible?  

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

My big concern with closing schools is who is going to feed breakfast and lunch to the 60 percent plus who are free lunch eligible?  

I know that’s one of the issues that the large school district close to me is dealing with. There are so many difficulties from this situation - people who will miss work because they don’t have a work from home option, businesses that suffer significant losses, parents scrambling for child care, people without health insurance. Not to mention the apparent recession we are in. It’s such a terrible time. 

I'm worried about kids who need school lunches, hourly workers at the stadiums and arenas that have closed, food service workers who can't stop working when they get sick, the elderly who are afraid to go out for groceries, the list goes on and on. This is an annoyance for most of us but financial ruin for others.

• Love 11

I normally work remotely a lot anyway, so, it won’t be a big change. I will stop most shopping and all visiting for a while. I guess my plans to see Brittney Howard in concert the end of April is off though.  I will have to have some one on one meetings with clients though to sign documents.....trying to figure a safe way to do that.  I’m going to use the time to catch up on paperwork, organize, exercise and read.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I'm worried about kids who need school lunches, hourly workers at the stadiums and arenas that have closed, food service workers who can't stop working when they get sick, the elderly who are afraid to go out for groceries, the list goes on and on. This is an annoyance for most of us but financial ruin for others.

Being able to take a lot of the precautions against COVID-19 is a luxury many take for granted. 

• Love 15

@MargeGunderson How are you? I've been thinking about you. 

As for me, a bunch of things I do have been moved on-line or cancelled. I hate being cooped up in the house, but I totally get why they are being cautious. 

I've found if you want to buy hand sanitizer, you should try asking someone. Some of the stores here carry it, but you have to ask for it. One store sold me two little ones for my purse and said these are the last two. I almost said I only need one. Then someone else came in and asked for hand santizer and the clerk said "We only have two left." So they're telling everyone these are the last two and they're keeping them behind the counter so people can't steal or hoard them. I understand this. 

We stocked up on stuff today, but we may need more stuff.  Someone said make sure you have advil, tylenol, mucinex, other flu type medicine to help manage symptoms. It won't cure COVID-19, but it will help manage symptoms. 

• Love 6

I have to check my supply. I can't take most of those meds. Bleh.

At this point I fully expect I've been exposed several times over. Between all the travel I've done to hot spots that were announced after the fact (😒) and interaction with people, yeah. I'm being cautious but I had to yell at a friend for wearing a full out respirator in public. There is being cautious and there is intentionally causing panic. I can't imagine what the people who saw him today felt. As I said before, there are a lot of precautions that are a luxury. There are quite a few people who are going to drag themselves into work because they have no choice. They see someone in a full out respirator mask? They are going to freak out.

• Love 7

I'm a bit of a germophobe anyway, but I've been especially weirded out by anyone coughing lately. (Currently battling allergies and my own coughing and snorting has gotten me considerable side-eye from others, which is fair enough.) If I saw someone in a respirator, I'd probably lose my shit.

There was a lady at the library where I work part-time--she was weirded out by the guy next to her who was coughing and snorting at the computers, so she moved. She told me this in passing, and I didn't have the heart to tell her that he snorts and coughs even when it's not a coronavirus scare because years of smoking and snorting meth does a hell of a number on your nose and lungs. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
Just now, galaxychaser said:

I wonder how long until the libraries close.

I asked my boss about that today. She told me her understanding is, as we are a county department, we will close if county offices and/or schools close in our area. As of right now, coronavirus is not in my part of Arkansas yet, but I am sure that will change soon. I've asked if I can do some work from home if we do close--I do some work from home for them anyway and I also have a separate business from home. It's not the end of the world for me if I lose my library income for a bit, but it would make things very tight for me. 

• Love 2

My Marine son stationed in Germany just got this notice:

"Effective March 13, 2020, all DoD uniformed personnel, civilian personnel and family members traveling to, from, or through Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Travel Health Notices Level 3 (COVID-19) designated locations, will stop movement for the next 60 days."

My daughter in law was planning a trip to Budapest for her birthday in 2 weeks, and now she can't leave Germany.

• Love 4

I got most of my groceries today, but I forgot my alcohol. I drink wine occasionally, but, if housebound for weeks, I might start drinking a little more. Lol I better stock up on some red and a little white. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I wonder how long until the libraries close.

Thank goodness for being able to get my library books online now.

I would go stir-crazy without new books to read.

Btw, My daughter got to the store too late for toilet paper, but made sure to stock up on chocolate. She said that's WAY more important to her anyway. 😂

(this was in Virginia, near DC today)

FB_IMG_1584067555125.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 14
5 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Thank goodness for being able to get my library books online now.

I would go stir-crazy without new books to read.

I have an insane number of unread books piled around my house. (My family thinks I have a pathological issue with buying books, but my excuse is I'm like a dragon and hoarding treasure. 😄 ) In any event, being quarantined might be a good excuse to finally read them. . . .

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have an insane number of unread books piled around my house. (My family thinks I have a pathological issue with buying books, but my excuse is I'm like a dragon and hoarding treasure. 😄 ) In any event, being quarantined might be a good excuse to finally read them. . . .

I used to have stacks and stacks of (real) books too..but since I got my Kindle, I think I now probably only have 20 left (they are out of print ones.)

My allergies thank me.🤧 😊

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I used to have stacks and stacks of (real) books too..but since I got my Kindle, I think I now probably only have 20 left (they are out of print ones.)

My allergies thank me.🤧 😊

I have never been able to get used to e-books, though I do have some of them on my laptop (for things where keyword searches are useful). I have to steer clear of old books, though, which makes me sad. When they bring in donations to the library, I either have to clear the desk or my coworkers have to take them elsewhere to process them because of the mold and dust. It can choke me from across the room. 😞 

One of my goals this year is to actually organize all my books and finish adding them to Librarything. I have caught myself buying several books I already own recently. 🤣

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5

There's going to be a lot of babies born in December if things keep shutting down 😉 

Maryland has closed all public schools for the next two weeks beginning Monday.  We have 12 confirmed cases with one being the first community transmission in the state.  Two people are hospitalized, and three are "fully recovered" and out of their quarantine time frame.  

Not corona related, but I am uber worried about Mr. Six though.  I feel like this is my only place to vent, so I apologize ahead of time.  He has a huge job that goes out tomorrow.  He's been working 12+ hour days the past two weeks, including a 10+ hours on Sunday.  He left around 600am this morning, and he's still not home.  He called me around 330pm to tell me he may have to just stay at the office overnight.  I am so worried about, not only his mental health, but his physical health.  When he gets stressed, he doesn't eat or sleep.  They are in the early process of getting upper management, which he is considered, laptops to work remotely, but I don't see that happening soon, so he's stuck going in.  He's coming up on a 17-hour day workday, and he has to get in early tomorrow morning to get it all finished.  Even though he's the best little atheist there is, please send some good thoughts or prayers for him.  Thank you, and again, I'm sorry for the ramble.

• Love 24
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I wanted to revisit something that someone else posted about a little upthread inquiring about Walnutqueen.  Her last activity here was on Jan. 19.  This seems odd. I hope she's okay.  I know people take breaks from things once in a while.  I hope she's well.  

She is ok. That’s all I can say. 

• Love 12

Because I was in a hospital today, hopefully,  my husband, after all his surgeries and health issues this last year will be ok with any inadvertent exposure.  We are planning on staying home, though getting fresh air often for the next couple of weeks.

However, we both were alive during several polio epidemics.  And are simply being cautious. 

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I got most of my groceries today, but I forgot my alcohol. I drink wine occasionally, but, if housebound for weeks, I might start drinking a little more. Lol I better stock up on some red and a little white. 

Good idea! I should order a case of Stella Rosa Black.

• Love 3

The main thing I stocked up on is cat food. You don’t want to be around Squeaky if she doesn’t have food. She doesn’t shut up and it would drive me insane. So I have cat food, booze, books, and enough food for a month. 

I'm unhappy because I have about $320 in unused gift cards (Christmas and birthday) and I don’t want to brave the public to use them. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

I was just talking about that to my mom. And who is going to watch those kids when their parents have to work?

I've made a couple of grocery store runs this week - one to my regular supermarket yesterday, and one to Wal-Mart early this morning. I'm now more than usually stocked up on canned and frozen food. And, I got real with myself and laid in a good supply of the only candy I let myself have at home. And, I confess, a couple bags of potato chips. Hell, a woman needs a few comforts in times of stress. 😋 I'm in my early 70's and though I'm healthy, those stats about what they know of COVID 19 fatality rates for older folks, are not a comfort to me. Oy.

ETA: Just in: Denver Public Schools are closing for three weeks because of the corona virus. It's a moved-up and lengthened spring break. The story says this:

During the closure, DPS students will be able to get free meals at eight locations in a “grab-and-go” system. [story lists the locations]

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 11

My college is doing a 2 day online preparedness exercise Monday and Tuesday of next week, just in case we have to go online before the end of the school year. Idaho doesn't have any cases yet, but all the states around us do, so it's just a matter of time.

The exercise should be interesting, since I help manage a tutoring lab. We  have online tutoring already, but it's rarely used. Our student tutors are expected to be available during their normal shift hours for the two days. I suspect we're not going to get much action, though.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good idea.  You may need to end up using it as hand sanitizer.  

Like I posted before, I became an Etsy addict & got the majority of my Christmas gifts from the site.  It looks like there are still plenty of vendors that are selling various types of hand sanitizers  if anyone is in need.  Most of them are the kind made with aloe vera & natural ingredients but most  have the required amount of alcohol in them & some have more. They are offering various types (spray, roll on, liquid, etc.) & different sizes from the small purse size to 8 oz. or more bottles.  There are shipping costs (some not too high) but there are vendors that offer free shipping.  I'm aware these type of hand sanitizers aren't regulated by whatever agency like Purell is but it's still something to keep in mind if you are in need of hand sanitizers.  

4 hours ago, Zella said:

My husband & I have plenty of books to read too & since I've gotten into jigsaw puzzles again, I have plenty of puzzles ready to be assembled. Plus there are also the on-line puzzles.

I feel lucky that both Mr. Barb and I are retired & don't have to worry about work any more. We have stocked up & have plenty of snacks & chocolate too.

Since I am in the high risk category & am immune compromised with my rheumatoid arthritis & other ailments, I am continuing to stay put.  I do get visits from home nurses(LPN & RN) 3x week for ongoing care of wounds on my lower legs & sacrum plus anything else (like a UTI) that I may have going on.  They use plenty of gloves,  hand sanitizer & wash their hands so for now I'm feeling OK with them coming.  I do have appointments next week at the wound center which is located in our local hospital  but plan on canceling them.  The doctors basically just look at them because of the type of wounds they are. I really don't feel like taking the chance of catching ANYTHING just to have the doctor say they are doing fine. I wish they would have some type of Skype or system to send them pictures of the wounds but they don't. 

Keep safe everyone. 

• Love 8

Schools closed for two weeks, then spring break!  😳

luckily they’re old enough not to need constant supervision, but my partner will need to do all the schooling and directing of their days, while attempting to work from home, since I have to be at work with patients!  

• Love 6

We've been stocked for a while, but my elderly parents have resisted. I finally talked my mom into letting me go with her to get things (this was plan B, she wouldn't let me go with a list on her behalf). I really don't want to leave my house, definitely don't want her to leave her house, but as they don't trust things like online orders, I don't see that I have a choice to help them get things they may need to stay home. Hopefully we can still find whatever she put on her list. And hopefully she can convince my dad to stop going to coffee with former coworkers and to the used bookstore, etc. I'm very concerned about them not taking this seriously enough, given their ages and risk factors. 

Well, okay then. I have the local TV news on. They have a couple of doctors on regularly to address medical issues, but of course lately they are focusing on this virus. One of the questions today was, if you're old and healthy, what precautions do you take? The doc said basically, based on what they know now, if you're over 60 and healthy, you SHOULD take precautions to avoid exposure. IOW she said I'm in a high risk group due to age (early 70's) although I don't have existing medical conditions that increase vulnerability to infection. I'm not going to literally stay indoors 24/7 but will practice as much social distancing as possible and avoid going to large events with lots of people. I will meet up with a handful of photographer friends early tomorrow morning to shoot the city skyline at sunrise. We'll be outdoors and stay out of each others' space, so I'm not worried. 

ETA: I'm really not worried about getting direly ill, but I hope to help "flatten the curve" and avoid being part of a mass of patients overwhelming our medical clinics and hospitals, as has happened in Italy. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 10

It is so informative to come here and see how all the small talkers are doing around the world.  

We're preparing for a family visit tomorrow. 5 of my 6 sibs are coming to discuss what to do with our elderly Mom.  She's been sick all year and had a recent fall (no broken bones) and is having memory problems. She sees her doc regularly. We're discussing how to retro-fit her very old house to better suit her or to get her into assisted living (my choice for her). We probably can't do any of those things in this current virus situation. I worry about her every day of my life! We also have to discuss what to do with my Boo Radley-ish agoraphobic (?) non-working brother who lives with her.  Should be an interesting visit!  I have prepared an outline for topics to discuss and suggested that everyone do that. I sound like an oldest saying that, but I'm actually a middle child!  I adore my sibs and my Mom. I hope we all work out something that keeps her happy.  One good thing about her being sick for so long, is that she hasn't been out in public. She's definitely at risk at 89 and I don't think she'd fare well with Covid19. ☹️ Wish me luck with the meeting!

I think our local schools will close soon. They've cancelled all after school activities and are trying out e-learning. I hadn't thought about church, but I see that Episcopal and Catholic leaders in my area are recommending not attending. My son-in-law is a Lutheran pastor. I imagine attendance will be low and they'll probably end up doing the same. Their congregation like most these days, is mostly elderly. 

It's sounding more like this will go on for months rather than weeks. I am already sick of toilet paper and hand sanitizer memes, but I hope the internet keeps working. People need to communicate!  Hang in there, friends. We will get through this and will likely learn from this experience. Good health to all! ♥️

• Love 17

Normally we would continue with the regular hand washing and being sensible.  But, with the son with cancer, his husband, and Mr. lookeyloo and I have dropped everything outside, such as the gym, the Sunday gaming group, etc.  Because even if we didn't catch it, the risk of transmitting to son is too great.  We have tickets to the Fox theater Tuesday night, but, won't be going.  I'm surprised the show hasn't been cancelled, but probably will be.  I had my annual cardiology appointment. Called to see if safe to go.  Said no incidents at that clinic.  It is a new building, light and bright with plenty of separate seating in waiting room. It wasn't crowded.  No one coughing or sneezing.  I didn't touch anything on the way in and sat alone and didn't touch anything.  In the exam room the tech said they are doing a deep cleaning in the exam rooms between patients, including the foot rests and keyboard, chairs, tables, etc.  Dr. told me stay out of airplanes, avoid crowds, and if we even feel sick, stay away from son.  

Seems like the death rate for corona virus is 10 times higher than for the flu.   

I am in the elderly vulnerable population now.  Yikes, how did that happen?  I have plenty of knitting and quilting projects to keep me occupied.

• Love 18

we followed the prepare don't panic advice and thought we were prepared.

Now all k-12 schools are closed in our state until April. Which means I will have grandkids here and so different sorts of supplies are needed.

I should have considered that when I shopped 2 weeks ago. peanut butter, mac and cheese milk, cereal, bread. things we don't normal use but the kids will want

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I finally got a thermometer. It said my temp is 91.7 F. That’s not normal. Can’t find bleach or any wipes or anything really. 

Watch daybreak on Netflix. It’s our life for real.

What is your normal temp?  I run about a degree under normal so there can be a wide range.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

What is your normal temp?  I run about a degree under normal so there can be a wide range.

I don’t know. I haven’t owned a thermometer in years. I felt like I had a fever. Hence why I bought one. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t know. I haven’t owned a thermometer in years. I felt like I had a fever. Hence why I bought one. 

You maybe someone,like me, who just runs low. Take your temp again and remember not to eat or drink anything for 15 minutes before you do it.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I finally got a thermometer. It said my temp is 91.7 F. That’s not normal. Can’t find bleach or any wipes or anything really. 

Watch daybreak on Netflix. It’s our life for real.

91.7F  means your thermometer is broken.  If it is battery operated, check the batteries.

My employer, a major US hospital system (let's call it the Believeland Cynic) has now cancelled all non-emergent outpatient appointments for Monday and Tuesday next week.  We will still be reporting to our offices where I expect to be working hard at nothing all day.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

ETA: Just in: Denver Public Schools are closing for three weeks because of the corona virus. It's a moved-up and lengthened spring break. The story says this:

Adams county also shut schools and they said the kids would not be making the missed time up.

• Love 4

sister in law at Miramar marine base from the Grand Princess says they can get no facial tissue, no laundry service, no clean towels, hand towels or hand sanitizer.

they have a number to call about meds and no one answers

Edited by crazy8s
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

91.7F  means your thermometer is broken.  If it is battery operated, check the batteries.

My employer, a major US hospital system (let's call it the Believeland Cynic) has now cancelled all non-emergent outpatient appointments for Monday and Tuesday next week.  We will still be reporting to our offices where I expect to be working hard at nothing all day.

Going to return it. Thanks.

• Love 1