Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

We're already in a shelter in place here. It's lasting at least until 4/7. We can go out for necessary errands like groceries. We love in a condo and don't have a full size fridge. We can't stock mass quantities of anything. That said, the cats are taken care of. I'm glad because let good was scarce when I was at the store on Sunday.

Just out of curiosity...who is enforcing all of that?

👇 tweets like this are an example of why I'm asking, btw. 👇

20200318_221302.png

Edited by ChiCricket

I think the joking memes will stop next week when the deaths start mounting at a more rapid pace. I can't believe how stupid some of my good friends are being. A close friend takes it seriously herself, but her husband and her 2 adult sons are out and about on a daily basis. Her 21 year old stoner son thinks it's a hoax. Another friend is showing up for work every day at her office. She keeps posting about the empty trains and roads. Duh!  Stay home!  Those spring break kids are RIDICULOUS! I think all of the reporting on the vulnerable elderly makes them feel invincible (which is a typical feeling at that age anyway). But I have heard about young people getting sick and dying, so they're really being foolish - even if they only care about themselves! Some people just don't get it. When they get sick or they know someone who gets sick or dies, maybe it will sink in. But it may be too late.

• Love 4

best "news' story I have seen today.

"all you parents of tweens and teens at home now, you can use this time to teach them adulting."

it went on to show parents teaching cooking, dish washing, sort and do laundry, start and use online banking, address an envelope, check oil and washer fluid in a car etc.

I went to a wedding shower recently where they did the address your own envelope for a thank you card. was sitting with my 12yr old niece. not only did she not know how to address an envelope, she had to text her mom because she did not know her full address.

• Love 3

I'm completely work from home now. They're fully shutting down THIS AFTERNOON and sent out an email 20 minutes ago that all swipe cards will be disabled. No one will be able to access their offices. I'm thinking no common decency whatsoever. They could have told people earlier this week. I fully expect a flood of people panicking today, especially some have hellish commutes. I don't think they will be fully wrapped up at 4 pm. 

My manager made the call for me to take all the office equipment home last night because we both suspected it was about to happen. The projections for re-opening are grim. If people who can take social distancing seriously, we'll be open sooner rather than later. However some people think it's a hoax and simply don't care. And as I said before, for many it is a luxury to afford such measures. 

This is America I suppose. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

best "news' story I have seen today.

"all you parents of tweens and teens at home now, you can use this time to teach them adulting."

it went on to show parents teaching cooking, dish washing, sort and do laundry, start and use online banking, address an envelope, check oil and washer fluid in a car etc.

I went to a wedding shower recently where they did the address your own envelope for a thank you card. was sitting with my 12yr old niece. not only did she not know how to address an envelope, she had to text her mom because she did not know her full address.

Wow! I remember learning to address envelope in second grade, although it was 1988-1989. We also learned cursive, how to diagram sentences, and there were still nine planets while I was in school.  Times have changed and now I feel old as hell. 

OAN my building, which handles unemployment amongst other things, finally closed to the public, but we still have to report to work. No telework as of yet, as it’s up to each agency head.  I’m not really sure what they’re waiting on. Once you have cases reported in your agency, isn’t it already too late?  

I’m also taking the training courses to be a foster parent, but they called last week to say classes are cancelled indefinitely.  I had three classes left and was still on the fence about doing it and this delay doesn’t help me make a decision. I have a feeling though that once classes resume, they’ll fast track people because there may be a greater need if many parents lose their jobs or stable housing. It’s a really messed up situation all around.  

• Love 1

Wow, I just saw on the news we had our first Corona death here in Maryland. We also have a 5 year old child that tested positive. Also the governor is closing down shopping malls at 5 pm today for the foreseeable future. 

I heard something on the news last night about the restocking of the grocery stores. They said a lot of the larger stores use only one supplier so they can only get what that supplier has. Where as the smaller grocers can use 4 or 5 different suppliers so there's a better chance they can get needed items. They also recommended trying to find needed items at smaller (ethnic)stores who don't get the large amount of shoppers that the bigger stores do. 

Stay safe everyone!

Edited by Barb23
  • Useful 4
  • Love 6

I'm the dumbass who forgot to get my taxes done. Usually i do them myself, when I can access a computer with internet, but this year I need to have them done, to make sure they're done correctly. I went out yesterday to Walmart to see if they had any lunch meat and to see if a tax person was there. They weren't, no big surprise. But the library was open yesterday, so I thought I could go today. Of course I get there today and they're closed until at least April. So now I don't know what to do. 

Any ideas?

• Love 2

I heard that paying taxes has been extended but I'd have to research that. I don't know if that includes filing the taxes or just paying them, though usually one pays when filing. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html  I know Mr. Toast is waiting until the last minute because we actually owe this year (yeah, that tax cut did absolutely nothing for us and actually made it worse, just as it was designed to do). 

12 minutes ago, frenchtoast said:

I heard that paying taxes has been extended but I'd have to research that. I don't know if that includes filing the taxes or just paying them, though usually one pays when filing. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html  I know Mr. Toast is waiting until the last minute because we actually owe this year (yeah, that tax cut did absolutely nothing for us and actually made it worse, just as it was designed to do). 

i was trying to find that info as well. paying if you owe has an extended deadline. but it is unclear on if the filing deadline has changed

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, beckie said:

I'm the dumbass who forgot to get my taxes done. Usually i do them myself, when I can access a computer with internet, but this year I need to have them done, to make sure they're done correctly. I went out yesterday to Walmart to see if they had any lunch meat and to see if a tax person was there. They weren't, no big surprise. But the library was open yesterday, so I thought I could go today. Of course I get there today and they're closed until at least April. So now I don't know what to do. 

Any ideas?

You may want to research any VITA programs in your city. Usually they’re partnered with the city-parish/county government, but you may be able to find a volunteer who can meet with you one-on-one.  

• Love 4

I have sensitive skin. Last night the tops of my hands felt they were on fire. From all this hand-washing, my hands are chafed.  Now I wash my hands and then have to rub on Aveeno hand cream. Geesh! 

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

I have sensitive skin. Last night the tops of my hands felt they were on fire. From all this hand-washing, my hands are chafed.  Now I wash my hands and then have to rub on Aveeno hand cream. Geesh! 

I’ve always had to put hand cream on after I wash my hands, since puberty I’m sure (I’m 34). I keep hand cream on my desk at work, night stand, and kitchen sink.  I understand how you feel!

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve always had to put hand cream on after I wash my hands, since puberty I’m sure (I’m 34). I keep hand cream on my desk at work, night stand, and kitchen sink.  I understand how you feel!

I knew we were sisters in another life @Scarlett45! I also keep lotion everywhere including the console of my car and my work bag. Those little tins of Nivea cream fit anywhere and I am hooked. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I knew we were sisters in another life @Scarlett45! I also keep lotion everywhere including the console of my car and my work bag. Those little tins of Nivea cream fit anywhere and I am hooked. 

I like my L’Occitaine with shea butter!!

Everyone want to hear a funny story about lotion??

So when I went to undergrad a had a roommate who had very oily skin (pale red head who used oil blotting papers). I had never seen anyone use those before, but I quickly figured out what they were for. People asked me how the roommate thing was going, and I commented that she took really long showers (I would shower first- not a problem) and it had been WEEKS and I had never seen this woman use lotion. I had not seen her facial moisturizer, hand cream, body lotion or anything. I was concerned for her. Like did her fav get discontinued? How was she dealing? Was it a cost thing? 

I was told “Scarlett- White people dont use lotion.” And I said “that’s completely ridiculous. I have grown up around white people, and all different ethnic groups, everyone uses lotion!” And they replied “I’m sure they do- in CHICAGO, in the WINTER, not in New Orleans, in the SUMMER!!” Hahahaha. 

This reminded me of Mellody Hobson “Color Blind Vs Color Brave” video where she says at the end “if you are white like my husband (George Lucas), you will learn Black people, men, women and children, use lotion every single day.”😂😂😂😂😂😂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I think a lot of people will get extensions to file their taxes.  I always get one for my individual and business.  But, you might find some experts who will work from phone and online contacts. They probably need the business.  

I talked to a colleague earlier today and he was so worried.  Like me, he's self employed. The courts are closed.  It's scary, but, I read online that they are offering small business loans at a low interest rate. 

I ventured to grocery store this morning.  Last night I had a few minutes of panic about things, but, it was for nothing. They had plenty of food and I bought enough to last for a few weeks, longer, if I rationed. lol  

I also went into a Family Dollar to get a bottle of Tylenol and a customer ran in and said in a desperate voice to me, another customer and the sales clerk, "Where can I get toilet paper?  I need toilet paper!"   I'm not sure why it struck me as funny, but, she was serious.  I didn't laugh, just told her that I had just left the grocery store across the street andI wasn't sure if they had it, but, they were getting new shipments in tomorrow and on Sat.   

I saw on tv a bakery that is making cakes that look like toilet paper rolls!  lol 

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Food/philadelphia-bakery-selling-toilet-paper-cakes/story?id=69683243

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Thinking about your roommate @Scarlett45  and her oily skin reminds me of something else wacky that I do.  I have really oily skin and need those oil-blotting papers too. After a while, it gets expensive. I’m known for being innovative and being able to MacGuyver my way out of any situation.  

So one day a colleague and I were having lunch on a patio on a rather warm day. Her skin is even oilier than mine and she asked me what I did to keep my complexion so matte-looking throughout the day.  I confessed that I’d had a genius moment in the restroom at work one day.  It stood to reason, at least to me, that if those tiny rice-paper and oil-blotting sheets could  mattify your nose, then an entire tissue paper toilet seat cover would certainly work on your entire face.  Turns out it works like a charm! So yes it sounds weird and gross, but I do take a clean toilet seat cover (not the first one I grab) and blot the oil from my face.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Thinking about your roommate @Scarlett45  and her oily skin reminds me of something else wacky that I do.  I have really oily skin and need those oil-blotting papers too. After a while, it gets expensive. I’m known for being innovative and being able to MacGuyver my way out of any situation.  

So one day a colleague and I were having lunch on a patio on a rather warm day. Her skin is even oilier than mine and she asked me what I did to keep my complexion so matte-looking throughout the day.  I confessed that I’d had a genius moment in the restroom at work one day.  It stood to reason, at least to me, that if those tiny rice-paper and oil-blotting sheets could  mattify your nose, then an entire tissue paper toilet seat cover would certainly work on your entire face.  Turns out it works like a charm! So yes it sounds weird and gross, but I do take a clean toilet seat cover (not the first one I grab) and blot the oil from my face.  

That's awesome and very innovative. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Same!  I've been lotioning up (not like Jill does!) my hands at night and putting gloves on. It's helping. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The toilet paper situation reminds me of the mid 70s, when I worked in a local supermarket.  
Johnny Carson told a monologue joke about the federal government not being able to buy enough toilet paper (actually, I believe it was a price issue and there was never an actual shortage).   
This triggered panic buying in the stores.  I still remember a customer coming in to buy a case of Scott’s toilet paper.  At that time, it came in single roll packages and a case had 100 rolls.  It was 17 cents a roll, so his bill came to $17.00.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I also heard people are putting up Christmas lights to brighten spirits. The idea is to keep them on until the storm subsides. 

Oh HECK no...I just got those suckers down! 😜🤣

• LOL 15
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

We're already in a shelter in place here. It's lasting at least until 4/7. We can go out for necessary errands like groceries. We love in a condo and don't have a full size fridge. We can't stock mass quantities of anything. That said, the cats are taken care of. I'm glad because let good was scarce when I was at the store on Sunday.

19 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Just out of curiosity...who is enforcing all of that?

👇 tweets like this are an example of why I'm asking, btw. 👇

20200318_221302.png

Here in Spain, we are on lockdown and the police are enforcing it. 

Stay safe and well, everyone. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I like my L’Occitaine with shea butter!!

Everyone want to hear a funny story about lotion??

So when I went to undergrad a had a roommate who had very oily skin (pale red head who used oil blotting papers). I had never seen anyone use those before, but I quickly figured out what they were for. People asked me how the roommate thing was going, and I commented that she took really long showers (I would shower first- not a problem) and it had been WEEKS and I had never seen this woman use lotion. I had not seen her facial moisturizer, hand cream, body lotion or anything. I was concerned for her. Like did her fav get discontinued? How was she dealing? Was it a cost thing? 

I was told “Scarlett- White people dont use lotion.” And I said “that’s completely ridiculous. I have grown up around white people, and all different ethnic groups, everyone uses lotion!” And they replied “I’m sure they do- in CHICAGO, in the WINTER, not in New Orleans, in the SUMMER!!” Hahahaha. 

This reminded me of Mellody Hobson “Color Blind Vs Color Brave” video where she says at the end “if you are white like my husband (George Lucas), you will learn Black people, men, women and children, use lotion every single day.”😂😂😂😂😂😂 

I rarely used lotion until I was in my late 20s and even then very sparingly.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I rarely used lotion until I was in my late 20s and even then very sparingly.

I don’t know what that life is like🤣🤣. Lotion is a body care necessity for me. After I purchased my home and things were super tight I had to use organic coconut oil, I made it, but it felt so liberating to head back to Lush and stock up on my stash of body care again. 

That TIGHT dry skin feeling is awful. The scratches from itching at night.....I’m such a fragile flower!

In our Social Distancing I have replicated my work desk to the best of my ability- lip balm, hand cream, tea, all of the important things. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

RE:  Taxes.  My tax appointment was just cancelled yesterday, so I used Turbotax.  It is so much easier than in past years.  Very easy, in fact, and I have a lot of charities and copays.  

I went to the allergist today for my regular appointment, and one of the nurses was telling me that they had just been made award of the "Corona Challenge".  Apparently, college-aged kids, and probably younger, are going around licking door knobs and anything else that a lot of people touch.  I guess it is to see who can get the virus.  I had not heard about it before.

I do not know why I am typing in italics.  The box will not let me change the type style.

Edited by CalicoKitty
missing word
26 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t know what that life is like🤣🤣. Lotion is a body care necessity for me. After I purchased my home and things were super tight I had to use organic coconut oil, I made it, but it felt so liberating to head back to Lush and stock up on my stash of body care again. 

That TIGHT dry skin feeling is awful. The scratches from itching at night.....I’m such a fragile flower!

In our Social Distancing I have replicated my work desk to the best of my ability- lip balm, hand cream, tea, all of the important things. 

I do need the lip balm!

• Love 3

Please allow me to rant for a moment. I just got a text from my brother-in-law. I asked him how he was doing in this mess. He told me that God is protecting him. I then told him I am glad God is protecting him because apparently God is not protecting everybody, so good for him.

I have not heard back yet.

• LOL 4
  • Love 10

I am so pasty white it's not even funny.  Mr. Six has called me his 'pasty little friend', and my mom calls me Casper.  I need lotion like there's no tomorrow.  I have a collection of 5 different options within arm's reach of my chair and a giant bottle on my nightstand.  I love getting the Target beauty boxes each month, and they often have full-sized lotions.  Walmart does a quarterly box for $5, and they will include them often.  My favorite lip product now is actually from Victoria's Secret.  It's an overnight lip mask, and I can still feel it when I get up in the morning.  Wait for a sale though.  It's normally $12, but I snagged it for $5.
image.png.93379cf5afd107cacbe39a2246c6b587.png

Edited by sixlets
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Please allow me to rant for a moment. I just got a text from my brother-in-law. I asked him how he was doing in this mess. He told me that God is protecting him. I then told him I am glad God is protecting him because apparently God is not protecting everybody, so good for him.

I have not heard back yet.

Wow. 

• Love 5

Bad news, my nephew-in-law (who is around 43yo) was just admitted to a Chicago hospital with all the Covid-19 symptoms. They did test him, but it will take 48-72 hrs for the results to come back. He works at O'Hare airport as a gate agent, just like my daughter, but with a different company, and works international flights. 

(Does anyone else feel like they're a....ping pong ball or something?) I don't know how else to describe this feeling.

4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Bad news, my nephew-in-law (who is around 43yo) was just admitted to a Chicago hospital with all the Covid-19 symptoms. They did test him, but it will take 48-72 hrs for the results to come back. He works at O'Hare airport as a gate agent, just like my daughter, but with a different company, and works international flights. 

(Does anyone else feel like they're a....ping pong ball or something?) I don't know how else to describe this feeling.

(((Healing))) to your nephew-in-law. How’s his spouse handling things? The people that are ill and suffering are at the foremost of my mind right now. 

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

How’s his spouse handling things? The people that are ill and suffering are at the foremost of my mind right now

My husband is talking to her on the phone right now. She sounds exhausted, but in good spirits. She just said he's feeling better from how he felt this morning. He is in quarantine. I'm eavesdropping (in Spanish) 🤣

more: they all had to leave right after they admitted him to the hospital...couldn't even say goodbye face to face, because he's in isolation.

They were told to all stay home until the test results come back..and OFC they stopped at the grocery store on the way home..WTH...some people are so f'ing d.U.M.b.😱

(I could have left that last part out to make the optics better, but I'm nothing if not honest.)😭

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 9
41 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My husband is talking to her on the phone right now. She sounds exhausted, but in good spirits. She just said he's feeling better from how he felt this morning. He is in quarantine. I'm eavesdropping (in Spanish) 🤣

more: they all had to leave right after they admitted him to the hospital...couldn't even say goodbye face to face, because he's in isolation.

They were told to all stay home until the test results come back..and OFC they stopped at the grocery store on the way home..WTH...some people are so f'ing d.U.M.b.😱

(I could have left that last part out to make the optics better, but I'm nothing if not honest.)😭

I hope he's okay and nobody else in the family has it!

That last part--I have no clue why, but people do that at the library even when it isn't a pandemic. They get told they have strep and not to be around people. What do they do? Come to the library to load up on books and movies and expose everyone in there to it before they go home to isolate. Like it doesn't eve occur to them we count too! That is one reason my library closed to the public. We just knew if anyone had COVID-19 symptoms, chances were they'd head our way. 😞

Edited by Zella
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

Like it doesn't even occur to them we don't count! That is one reason my library closed to the public. We just knew if anyone had COVID-19 symptoms, chances were they'd head our way. 

😞

The librarians here were pissed (with good reason!) that the libraries were at first going to be made to stay open when the schools closed down...so the kids with working parents "would have a place to go." WTAF?!

People who work in libraries have families too!

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

The librarians here were pissed (with good reason!) that the libraries were at first going to be made to stay open when the schools closed down...so the kids with working parents "would have a place to go." WTAF?!

People who work in libraries have families too!

Yes, as soon as our schools closed, I was like WTF close the libraries too! Our library is still providing as much service as it can while banning the public from being inside. I'm not sure how long we can maintain it, tbh. 

• Love 5

I had my MRI needle biopsy appointment kept...sort of.  Got there at 8AM, had a luscious helping of Lorazepam, and they took me back promptly at 8:15 for the fun to begin.  Did the usual stuff, had a lovely PA go over the procedure again, more detail since she could actually draw out things for me to see.  Pill is starting to work, I'm IV'ed and then it's saddle up onto the magnetic tube.  Now I've done this before without the biopsy so I at least knew what that would be like.  Supposedly the first pass is like six minutes - but I was in there eight to ten - then the muffled voice said something about another eight minutes.  Fine and dandy I'm relaxed, so what, no big deal...then I hear them say well we are cutting this short so we'll be in there in a minute.  Come to find out this spot that was found on the original MRI is way interior in my breast, just this tiny spot, so the radiology doc says there's no way they can needle biopsy it.  However, in looking over the new scans he says that while he understood why the findings on the first led to an ultrasound and need for further review he didn't think I had anything to worry about, there's nothing suspicious, that my doc may want to follow up with another regular MRI a year or so from now.  He talked to me quite a while so I was really finally put at ease.  

So now I'm at a way more peaceful place...it's been a hellish three months getting all of this going, getting precertifications in place, making appointments, at the same time dealing with my dad and his various complications, and the usual family stuff.  

Working from home....I'm lucky, I've been doing it for years now.  I hate being in the office.  Now granted, it's with customer care so we can work solitary, and our work provides the equipment, we provide the internet.  Good luck to those of you doing it for the first time, but I guarantee it'll get better.  I've got to try and figure out the State of Illinois website for claiming unemployment for the spouse, we've never done it before.  Should be a trip!

Best of luck to your nephew too ChiCricket, hope he's recovering soon.

• Love 24

Last night I said to my husband, "I may never get to hug my Mom again" and burst into tears. (Mom is 89)  I barely slept last night. I thought about what would happen to our cat if we both died. I thought about all the grandma-ing I still want to do. I am really down today. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Last night I said to my husband, "I may never get to hug my Mom again" and burst into tears. (Mom is 89)  I barely slept last night. I thought about what would happen to our cat if we both died. I thought about all the grandma-ing I still want to do. I am really down today. 

((((Hugs)))) I’m so sorry. I hope your husband gave you a great big hug. 

These are uncertain times, but things will get better, we just don’t know when. 

• Love 15