Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

This week should really tell the tale as many more show symptoms of this disease. Every morning I take my temp first thing and so far so good. I know that my husband and I are fortunate to be at home.  I'm seeing a lot of FB posts from people who aren't typically home and boy, are some of them dumb!  Including my relatives. My nephew is posting that it's all overblown and we're all overreacting, blah, blah blah. I had to snooze him!  My heart goes out to the wonderful health care workers, grocery store employees, truck drivers and police and fire crews and anyone else who is out saving lives through their efforts.   

Oh man.....that's crazy.  I applaud those essential workers too.  

My parents are allowing their great grandchild to continue to visit.  Dad is 82 and mom is 79.  I've tried to politely encourage her parents to stop the visiting with her. It's too risky.  The child needs to stay at home for her own protection too. They can wave from the porch at each other and talk on phone, but, they are not listening.  I don't think they would survive it and of course, I'd get it, since I'm caring for them.  I have a feeling, I'm going to make some people angry, because, I'll have to speak on behalf of my parents and they nor the other family members will like it.   Sometimes seniors and young people have poor judgment. 

• Love 16
38 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh man.....that's crazy.  I applaud those essential workers too.  

My parents are allowing their great grandchild to continue to visit.  Dad is 82 and mom is 79.  I've tried to politely encourage her parents to stop the visiting with her. It's too risky.  The child needs to stay at home for her own protection too. They can wave from the porch at each other and talk on phone, but, they are not listening.  I don't think they would survive it and of course, I'd get it, since I'm caring for them.  I have a feeling, I'm going to make some people angry, because, I'll have to speak on behalf of my parents and they nor the other family members will like it.   Sometimes seniors and young people have poor judgment. 

I just read about a seven month-old baby hospitalized with corona, and he contracted it from his grandmother. It seems like a lot of parents have this false mindset that kids are immune.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zoomama said:

it is breaking my heart to have to say no to seeing my grandkids but i am an adult with common sense. video chat has been helpful.

Good for you.  It's common sense and recommended by health officials.   If you're all protected, then, it'll be so worth it later on.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

Just got off the phone with my SIL (the doctor.) He's keeping track of my nephew in the hospital (through his connections) and is helping my niece get information.

He said they just had to intubate my nephew. I have to admit I started freaking out,  but he said "look at it this way, mom..at least he *got* a ventilator..people in the coming weeks might not be able to get one."

That thought did NOT calm me down!  😱 😭😕 (he has no bedside manner, our whole family knows this, and we're glad he is on the corporate side of medicine now)🙄

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Just got off the phone with my SIL (the doctor.) He's keeping track of my nephew in the hospital (through his connections) and is helping my niece get information.

He said they just had to intubate my nephew. I have to admit I started freaking out,  but he said "look at it this way, mom..at least he *got* a ventilator..people in the coming weeks might not be able to get one."

That thought did NOT calm me down!  😱 😭😕 (he has no bedside manner, our whole family knows this, and we're glad he is on the corporate side of medicine now)🙄

I’m sorry. 

• Love 5

I'm finally getting over the bad cold that I had.  I never had a fever with it, though. What freaks me out is that all my thermometers broke and when I tried to buy a new one, they were sold out, everywhere.  My brother ordered me one online, but, I doubt, we'll ever get it.  

• Love 1

I'm so glad Directv is letting us have Showtime. I was able to binge watch the Homeland mini-marathon yesterday. I was a couchpotato from 2:30-10! I just hope they keep Showtime available until the end of the season. 

• Love 4

Georgia still isn't shutting down.  I went into work early this morning to get additional work since I have to keep on working (I think even if GA shut down, the higher ups in my office would say we are essential even though I don't think a law firm would be essential). I was there for 2.5 hours but was gone by 8:00 AM so I didn't see another person other than someone walking into the building as I was walking out. 
My allergies and anxiety have kicked in.  I have a headache and was coughing but then I remembered the thick layer of pollen on my car so I know that is what it is.  I also feel like I'm turning into a hypochondriac.  Chest pain: is it my heart, is it coronavirus. No, it's just anxiety.

• Love 7

I had this conversation with a religious woman the other day and she said, "If everybody would pray to their rosaries and say their Hail Mary's this whole corona thing would go away".  I wanted to scream! 

53 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm finally getting over the bad cold that I had.  I never had a fever with it, though. What freaks me out is that all my thermometers broke and when I tried to buy a new one, they were sold out, everywhere.  My brother ordered me one online, but, I doubt, we'll ever get it.  

My sister-in-law texted me to see if we had an extra and we did. We left it on the porch for her and she came to pick it up. We waved through the window. These are strange times we are living in!  I hope you do get a thermometer, SunnyBebe!  

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, GinnyLee said:

I'm so glad Directv is letting us have Showtime. I was able to binge watch the Homeland mini-marathon yesterday. I was a couchpotato from 2:30-10! I just hope they keep Showtime available until the end of the season. 

My DIL in Germany just posted this...loled at my smart-@$$ son's reply) 😂

20200323_171019.jpg

• LOL 10
16 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My sister-in-law texted me to see if we had an extra and we did. We left it on the porch for her and she came to pick it up. We waved through the window. These are strange times we are living in!  I hope you do get a thermometer, SunnyBebe!  

IDK.  I don't see one turning up, unless the one my brother ordered shows up.  It's the old school kind that is NOT digital.  I don't know how in the hey, to use it, but, I'll figure it out.  lol   I think I have a food thermostat around here somewhere.......will that work?  lol  

Can you believe that  I got two business calls today.  It's work that I can do remotely, so, I'm going to take it.  Not sure how long business will last. But, that's okay.  If my business doesn't make it due to the virus and resulting economy consequences, I'll be okay.  I'm just hoping and praying for good health.  That's it.  I can always work, make money, change professions, plant crops,  etc., but, I can't replace my health or life.  I realize different people have different takes on faith and prayer, but, I say, go with what works for you.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

North Idaho hasn't shut down, either. The students are all online at my college, but I'm still here. I've used all my vacation and sick leave for my mom & my sister's trial, so no work, no pay. 

• Love 2

I just want to say to all you lurkers out there reading this...what better time to say hi?

Even if you never said a word before..what better time to jump in?

We're all in this together. 💜 💛💙💚

• Love 22
30 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I just want to say to all you lurkers out there reading this...what better time to say hi?

Even if you never said a word before..what better time to jump in?

We're all in this together. 💜 💛💙💚

agree!!!  we are friendly folk.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GinnyLee said:

I had this conversation with a religious woman the other day and she said, "If everybody would pray to their rosaries and say their Hail Mary's this whole corona thing would go away".  I wanted to scream! 

OMG! I have a family member who thinks like this. He is certain that God will protect him. God doesn't have favorites. Prayers and Hail Marys aren't going to protect any of us.

• Love 5

Yep the only person who calls/texts is a JW and it’s to convert me. Save my soul from hell. I now don’t want to talk to her on the phone. 

And she took her 90 year old relative shopping today. 90 year old wanted to go out and she couldn’t say no! I am shocked to say the least. 

Edited by galaxychaser

I took Depends to my 88 year old MIL earlier today. Her place is on serious lockdown. Only one entrance (2 others are shut down), and no relatives/ visitors upstairs unless it's an end of life situation. I dropped off her stuff at the front desk, and someone took it to her apartment. She's going stir crazy, but she can still call people. And she does. 😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Right? I have not seen my natural hair color for decades--not for fear of grey, just because I think it's boring. If this is the worst of the situation for me, so be it and thank the universe.

I may finally know just how much gray I have and whether it's time to give up coloring.  I haven't seen my hair uncolored in well over 20 years. 

I took stuff to my mother and they've locked the only door into the building.  You hold up your bag and someone comes and opens it enough so you can pass it through the door. 

Edited by Absolom
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

I stocked up on some box hair color so no roots here, but I may have to figure out how to move up my own extensions if this goes on for weeks, lol. 

Another 12 hour day working from home with no end in sight. I thought working on the couch in my sweats would be fun but this is not. 

• Love 3

I have a few box dye kits that are "unnatural colors". The problem is I don't have the adequate showerhead to rinse the dye off. 😭

I will decide in a week if I use them or not. It might be my last shot at funky hair color for a few years.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

@ChiCricket I'm so sorry about your nephew. How old is he? I will keep in my thoughts and prayers. 

Thanks.

He's around 43 (not exactly sure) and up until now had been in great health...no pre-existing conditions, never was a smoker, and not much of a drinker at all.

I'm shocked it hit him this hard,tbh.

3 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

This is my husband (of 51 years) to a T.

I have learned to smile and nod, while totally ignoring him...not easy, I know.

I just replace his voice (in my head) with the parent's horn voices from the Charlie Brown cartoons...wah wah Waa waaa waaa waaah...😁

(he means well) 💙

• LOL 10
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Yep the only person who calls/texts is a JW and it’s to convert me. Save my soul from hell. I now don’t want to talk to her on the phone. 

It's a trap!!!!! My family hasn't talked to me in years, because I left, and I suddenly heard from them. They are being told that this is now the end of the end of the last days (funnily enough, it's been the end of the end of the last days since the 1870's) and it is every JW's job to get as many people to convert before Jehovah comes in to kill everyone that isn't a JW. Let's just say they aren't fun to talk to at all. Even when they're family.

Hi all!! My name is Estellasmum, and I lurk. A lot.

• Love 18

Okay,, so someone close to me works for a major convenience store/gas station chain here in the northeast as a truck driver, and last week, he had to sign some papers and was given paperwork to carry with him at all times (in case he is stopped while on the road) that says he is allowed to be out in his company-owned truck making deliveries.  All that dystopian fiction I've read is starting to freak me out.  I am starting to think we're being groomed to accept being on lockdown so that martial law can be imposed on us.  I know ypu're probably thinking I'm a crackpot (I feel like I'm a crackpot!), but it's certainly giving me pause.

Phone conference for work (I'm a building-based substitute teacher) didn't work today, so we're going to try again tomorrow morning.  Don't know why we just don't use zoom.  I have to pick up my insulin and other scrips at the military base nearest to me on Thursday, and I'm going to find out what I have to do to get it sent to me via mail.  I always refused because I like getting out of my little corner of the world, but it's just not practical now.

I started watching that Netflix miniseries about Madam CJ Walker today--it's really good, but the soap-opera type drama is really being ramped up.  Right now I have the Great British Baking Show on because it keeps me company.

I hope you're all doing okay and keeping busy.  I've been unpacking all the crap I brought here when I moved in two years ago--I've filled two boxes of stuff already and am finally shelving my hundreds of books--most of which I have not yet read.  I'm also actually doing my homework for my master's program.  Usually I just skim through the reading and bullsh*t my way through the papers, so it's kind of soothing to be doing the actual assignments, and it gives some structure to my days.

I'm with @doodlebug--make yourself a list of things to accomplish every day.  Since the school I work at is heavily ELL, I have been working on Spanish, too--I do a page or so every day, but I miss practicing what I'm learning with my students!

Keep up the good work, friends--we'll all be okay if we just take everything one thing at a time.  And prayer and meditation might not change anything or help the situation, but they certainly can't hurt!

• Love 14

Anyone heard from Happyfatchick?  I think per the profile the last time she posted was October of 2019.  Been awhile.

I'm watching that NF series as well magpye29 - it's okay so far but I did fast forward thru a couple of bits.  I am going to try and catch up on some series that I just haven't had either time to watch or  got lazy about and left half way thru.  Sometimes I find if I've got way too much other crap going on in the back of my mind I can't truly concentrate or enjoy a show.   

Reorganizing and going thru a couple of the kitchen cabinets is a wonderful thing...all the junk you can get rid of.  I'm very ashamed of a couple of expiration dates on cans I found.    

• Love 12

I haven’t heard from Happyfatchick. Hope all is well. 

Getting ready to say goodnight. I’ve been watching some Amazon stuff...The Widow and Hunters. 

Has anyone seen the new deals by Ford? OMG. For 2019 autos interest FREE for 84 months and for 2020 autos payments waived for 6 months! I wasn’t in the market for a new car, but I might consider it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I am starting to think we're being groomed to accept being on lockdown so that martial law can be imposed on us. 

If so, judging by all the morons who continue violating the quarantines and lockdowns, they'll have to go back to the drawing board on that one. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Reorganizing and going thru a couple of the kitchen cabinets is a wonderful thing...all the junk you can get rid of.  I'm very ashamed of a couple of expiration dates on cans I found. 

Don't be--if the cans are in good shape, that food is perfectly fine for 1-6 years.

Well, I have a conference call for work in 6-1/2 hours so I should try to get a little sleep...sure.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Zella said:

If so, judging by all the morons who continue violating the quarantines and lockdowns, they'll have to go back to the drawing board on that one. 

These Italian mayors aren't taking any crap from any morons:

The guy with the flamethrower remark! OMGosh! 😂 (funniest with the sound on)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Anyone heard from Happyfatchick?  I think per the profile the last time she posted was October of 2019.  Been awhile.

I'm watching that NF series as well magpye29 - it's okay so far but I did fast forward thru a couple of bits.  I am going to try and catch up on some series that I just haven't had either time to watch or  got lazy about and left half way thru.  Sometimes I find if I've got way too much other crap going on in the back of my mind I can't truly concentrate or enjoy a show.   

The cans unless bloated and rusty are safe to eat beyond the expiration date. 

Grains, flour, spices the same. Unless there are bugs in it it’s safe to eat. 

im not throwing anything away just in case. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

These Italian mayors aren't taking any crap from any morons:

The guy with the flamethrower remark! OMGosh! 😂

my favorite was don’t do your hair you will be in a closed casket no one will see you anyway.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I started watching that Netflix miniseries about Madam CJ Walker today--it's really good, but the soap-opera type drama is really being ramped up. 

I started a thread for it in Other Dramas if you care to check it out. 

10 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I am starting to think we're being groomed to accept being on lockdown so that martial law can be imposed on us.  I know ypu're probably thinking I'm a crackpot (I feel like I'm a crackpot!), but it's certainly giving me pause.

So much of this reminds me of Post Katrina NOLA- not a judgment just an observation. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Westiepeach said:

Me, too. Actually she just commented on one of my posts yesterday. I'll contact her!

I just contacted her as well. Oddly enough, I had read a beautiful post by her on Facebook just the other day, and thought it was from someone else I know with the same last name. But since I've not seen or talked to this other person since our husbands were stationed in the same place some years ago, I couldn't even recall her first name. It might have been the same, or it might not. I'm terrible with names!

Eta: she just posted back to me and said she'd drop in here a little later, probably today. Yay!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 12

Have you all seen the TLC commercial about what the world needs right now?  It has various TLC cast members talking to the camera with words of encouragement. I think they are saying what the world needs now is TLC. (I think they mean tender loving care.) It's pretty touching.  I think it shows some people from Sister Wives, I Am Jazz, 90 Day Fiance and Matt and Amy Roloff, I recall specifically speaking.   I can't find a link.  If anyone can, please post it.  Tks.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you all seen the TLC commercial about what the world needs right now?  It has various TLC cast members talking to the camera with words of encouragement. I think they are saying what the world needs now is TLC. (I think they mean tender loving care.) It's pretty touching.  I think it shows some people from Sister Wives, I Am Jazz, 90 Day Fiance and Matt and Amy Roloff, I recall specifically speaking.   I can't find a link.  If anyone can, please post it.  Tks.

Yes I saw that commercial it was very nice. 

• Love 1

I'm in Nashville, and we're on "safer at home". Basically the same as other places with a softer name. To make things more fun, my husband is in the hospital. He is having some complications from surgery he had in early February (ironically, when news of coronavirus in China was just starting to hit heavy). I haven't been able to see him since Friday when they took him out of the ER. I'm a corporate accountant, so working from home, and doing conferences with my husband and his doctor via speakerphone, What a life. Hopefully we'll be able to get him home by the end of the week,
I'm going to run him some more clothes later, and I ventured out to get him some travel-sized toiletries and a couple treats to make him smile. Still no toilet paper, paper towels, Clorox wipes. We have some of all, but good grief people. And people are still wanting to bitch that the can't go downtown and party. Makes me want to bitch slap them, with a Louisville Slugger. I'm not a violent person, but this is so frustrating!

• Love 20

Currently at hospital getting immunotherapy. There are not enough masks so the nurses don’t have them. My nurse said some of their masks were taken from the infusion rooms by patients. If I can get through this, I should be safely isolated at home for the next four weeks (when my next treatment is scheduled).  

• Love 8

Our school closures were supposed to end on April 7th, but now we're being told not before April vacation (so two more weeks) and there is a strong possibility we won't be going back this year at all.

I'm having trouble settling to anything today.  I made applesauce meatloaf, and now I'm thinking of doing another one and recording it for a segment on my school's website--it's very easy and the kids can do all of it themselves except chopping a little onion and draining the meatloaf when it comes out of the oven, but they can get a grownup to help them.  I'm going to dig up my file of kid recipes and maybe do one a week while all this is going on.  A lot of the kids in our school come from very impoverished homes in a rough, urban neighborhood--over 90% of our kids qualify for free lunch.  Many of them are home by themselves while their adults are at work.  I'll check to see if it would be allowed, otherwise, I'll try something else instead.  

Yeah, I'm bored.

• Love 23
21 hours ago, GinnyLee said:

I really don't understand this. Whether its Catholic, Fundie or whoever. The diseases of the past weren't defeated because we all prayed to God who stopped it. After all its pretty good guess that everyone effected by the Black Death prayed to God. That didn't slow the death rate at all. And its a good bet most people who got the Spanish flu also prayed to God. That didn't slow the death rate at all. A millions of people good and bad died no matter how faithful they were to God or not.  

They were defeated by the people using the brains God gave them to studied the diseases and eventually figure out that infected rats carried the black death, tracked down London's cholera outbreak to one single water pump and figured out that yellow fever was caused by mosquitos. People using the brains God gave them to work on vaccines and other things to cure diseases. Coronavirus will eventually be figured out and its going to be due to Doctors and Scientists using the brains God gave them. 

• Love 23

I just sent this to my daughter (who normally homeschools all the time anyway, because they live on a boat.)

I sent it without comment, except a smile. She watched it and then wrote back "OMGosh!!! That's ______!" (one of her kids) 

Our whole family already knew this and have privately marveled amongst ourselves that she's still homeschooling and hasn't gone completely bonkers, and just jumped off the boat.  This.kid.is.so.LOUD. 😂 (hope I got the correct link this time)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10221836642416036&id=1556931628

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1