Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Last night I said to my husband, "I may never get to hug my Mom again" and burst into tears. (Mom is 89)  I barely slept last night. I thought about what would happen to our cat if we both died. I thought about all the grandma-ing I still want to do. I am really down today. 

@BetyBee, I'm sorry. This is such a stressful time and all the bad what-ifs get so much room in our heads. 

As @Scarlett45 said, this isn't forever. But, it sure sucks for now.

@CherryMalotte, what a medical saga! I'm glad it came out like it did but it sounds exhausting. Good luck with the unemployment filing. Here in Colorado the unemployment claims have crashed/clogged the state's website but they're urging people not to give up. I think it was suggested to try filing online at non-peak times like late at night.

I'm working at home too. Happy to have something to do. Talking by phone to friends and family, and texting, and checking in on social media. Trying not to go super-squirrelly from the stress. Thanks for being here to talk to, peeps!

• Love 9

My daughter seems to be doing much better! No fever at all yesterday and her cough seemed more under control with medicine. We even got out of the house and walked around the block yesterday between rainstorms. My girls are young, so they only have the very vaguest understanding of what is happening. They know people worldwide are getting sick and that we are staying home so we don't share our germs. We're trying to keep things light for their sakes, but it's hard.

@BetyBee, I'm wallowing a bit today too. I'm sad that my younger daughter likely won't get to have fun milestones, like kindergarten round up and preschool graduation. My elder daughter is missing her friends and the routine of school (she thrives on routine, but since it's spring break, we didn't really push one this week). I dropped some groceries off at my parents house last Friday, briefly spoke to my dad and my mom insisted on giving me a side hug, which would have been humorous given the Duggars, aside from the fact that that may be the last time I have physical contact with her. This is unprecedented and scary, and it's okay to feel sad and scared about everything happening. 

I'm trying to focus on the good and the normal, where I can find it. I've also cut back on the news a bit (I allow myself my normal morning podcasts and then I check news in the evening but try to avoid it the rest of the day). I've leaned on this board more for socialization. Thank goodness for the technology to help us through this time! I read that the skies in parts of China are clear and blue again, and the canals in Venice are clear. I think those are good things and I try to remind myself of them when I feel too low. 

Hang in there, everyone. We'll get through this. 

• Love 18

Thought all my cat loving cyber friends would like this:

My son & his coworkers have a Facetime type of team meeting each morning since they have started working from home. His coworker loves cats & has a cat named Taz. They've all seen plenty of pictures of him but now they get to see him up close and personal as he is joining them in their morning meetings.

His company is trying to keep things going as norm as if they were in the office.  One example - Both my son & his cat loving coworker each have one of those themed calendars where the page gets ripped off daily.  Hers is about cats & his has various trivia facts.  They share their bits of daily trivia with their other team members when they are in the office & have continued to do so on Facetime.  He said they didn't think about doing it on their first day working at home until the big boss joined in the meeting & asked what the calendar trivia was that day. 

15 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

In our Social Distancing I have replicated my work desk to the best of my ability- lip balm, hand cream, tea, all of the important things. 

I got a chuckle out of this^^^especially the tea part.

Luckily someone in my son's office reminded everyone to take home their respective plants. 

Stay safe everyone. 

Edited by Barb23
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

He said they didn't think about doing it on their first day working at home until the big boss joined in the meeting & asked what the calendar trivia was that day. 

I love this.

• Love 6

I'm working from home on a work project.  It's pretty complex and a major case.  Still, I feel rather silly doing it.  I know the circumstances, but, I really do have to move forward with some cases.  Oh well......

I do have some good news today.  Lab corp announced that as of today they are able to  20,000 COVID-19 tests per day with results back in 3-4 days!!!!!!! That's awesome. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Last night I said to my husband, "I may never get to hug my Mom again" and burst into tears. (Mom is 89)  I barely slept last night. I thought about what would happen to our cat if we both died. I thought about all the grandma-ing I still want to do. I am really down today. 

BetyBee, I had a difficult morning here as well, and what soothed me was the thought that the overwhelming majority of us will live through this and that and most of us will survive even if we become ill.  

And now I’m off to applaud the health care workers and wave to my neighbors across the street, it’s 7.59 p.m. here.  Wishing everyone continued good health.  

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Have any of you read the book "Educated" by Tara Westover? It was recommended by a YouTube vlogger I follow and appears to get rave reviews. I'm thinking of ordering it for my Kindle.

I read it last year and found it very interesting. There's some debate about the accuracy, but I found that an interesting rabbithole of its own. Overall, I believe Westover. To me, her parents' response was classic gaslighting. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I don’t like reading books on devices . I like regular books. I’m old !

I’m even older and like books better too but my eyesight is so bad that I can now read more easily on my Kindle.

13 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Have any of you read the book "Educated" by Tara Westover? It was recommended by a YouTube vlogger I follow and appears to get rave reviews. I'm thinking of ordering it for my Kindle.

Just borrowed it from my library via the Libby app and it’s waiting now in my Kindle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Good for you On The Bias.  You are right about the healthcare workers.  I can't imagine how afraid they are.  The only thing that helps, I suppose is that they are so busy, they don't have time to dwell on the reality.  It's a lot to process.  I don't know how others are dealing, but, I'm praying a lot and reaching out to family and friends.  I'm going to pick up some more insulin (Type I diabetic) later.  I'll have enough for 30 days, but, after that, it'll be rough. 

I find this song inspiring.  I think we all just can take comfort in the way that works best for us.  My heart goes out to those in places like NY and CA. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I read Educated. It's really good! 

Thanks for all the kind words regarding my sadness over not being able to hug my Mom. I just got off the phone with her. She does not understand how contagious the virus is. She told me that 3 of my siblings descended on her for a visit yesterday. In the middle of a pandemic! I'm beside myself with worry and they act like everything is fine.  I give up!  

Our governor issued a shelter in place order starting tomorrow. 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Which is very interesting to me, because most large families I have come across are VERY scheduled and organized to keep chaos down. 
I had to explain this to a friend of mine who married into a large family (she’s from a small nuclear family like me).

“When you are a family of 6 you cannot ask everyone ‘what time do you want to eat breakfast?’ Because you’ll never settle on a time. You have to say- ‘Breakfast is at 8am’ and if people want to eat breakfast they will be there at 8am.”

This is from another topic, but I smiled when I read it and had to add this. My former next door neighbor here in the condo building raised 5 kids. She told me about that. She said that the rule was that dinner was on the table at (I think she said) 6 o'clock, and if you wanted to eat you'd better be there then. The only exception was if a kid had a sports team practice. She's a sweetie and I'm sure she wasn't a harsh mom, but she came from a large family herself, and knew that you had to have structure and routines, so you didn't go nuts and have things spin out of control. 

I hope everyone is hanging in. I'm laughing at myself. I was scheduled to have a haircut this afternoon, and trust me, I NEED one. My short bob is all scraggly because it's been 5 weeks since the last one. And guess what, peeps? YESTERDAY, our governor ordered all hair salons (among some other kinds of businesses) CLOSED immediately through at least April 30. My hair is going to be really stupid looking by the time I can get it cut again. About a dozen times today I have reminded myself that this is NOT a health and welfare issue and if this is the worst that happens to me I am one fucking lucky woman. 

• Love 13
20 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

RE:  Taxes.  My tax appointment was just cancelled yesterday, so I used Turbotax.  It is so much easier than in past years.  Very easy, in fact, and I have a lot of charities and copays.  

I did turbo tax last year. But I had access to a computer last year. This year, because the library here is closed, I don't have computer access. And I haven't been able to afford a computer or Internet, which is why I've had to use the ones at the library.

• Love 1

My little corner of Idaho hasn't had any cases, so even though schools are closed and my college has gone to all online classes, it's pretty much life as usual. I know that's not going to last much longer. My biggest worry if something happens to me, what will happen to my youngest son. He's 26 and on SSI because he has schizophrenia. He is also has mild autistic tendencies, is very paranoid, rarely leaves his bedroom let alone the apartment, and has no impulse control. I'm his payee and if something happened to me, I don't know how he would manage.

I just got Mr Malotte signed up for his unemployment - it's not much but it'll take care of groceries and maybe a utility bill or two.  Since this is my last decent payday of his I got the last of Mini Malotte's hospital bills taken care of so other than a car insurance payment or two we should be treading water.  Hopefully anyway, I'm going to stay optimistic.  I did find it interesting that there was a question on the application about if the job in question was a layoff due to the Covid 19.  Having checked yes to that it seems like he won't have to jump thru any hoops.  I think anyway, I mean this is the state of Illinois I live in, picture my eyes rolling upward and hitting the ceiling.

I can recommend Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme and Watkins Hand & Cuticle Salve for those of you with overdry hands.  Both work wonders for me.  

Edited by CherryMalotte
can't spell...
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

This is from another topic, but I smiled when I read it and had to add this. My former next door neighbor here in the condo building raised 5 kids. She told me about that. She said that the rule was that dinner was on the table at (I think she said) 6 o'clock, and if you wanted to eat you'd better be there then. The only exception was if a kid had a sports team practice. She's a sweetie and I'm sure she wasn't a harsh mom, but she came from a large family herself, and knew that you had to have structure and routines, so you didn't go nuts and have things spin out of control. 

I hope everyone is hanging in. I'm laughing at myself. I was scheduled to have a haircut this afternoon, and trust me, I NEED one. My short bob is all scraggly because it's been 5 weeks since the last one. And guess what, peeps? YESTERDAY, our governor ordered all hair salons (among some other kinds of businesses) CLOSED immediately through at least April 30. My hair is going to be really stupid looking by the time I can get it cut again. About a dozen times today I have reminded myself that this is NOT a health and welfare issue and if this is the worst that happens to me I am one fucking lucky woman. 

So I'm not the only one!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Nysha said:

My little corner of Idaho hasn't had any cases, so even though schools are closed and my college has gone to all online classes, it's pretty much life as usual. I know that's not going to last much longer. My biggest worry if something happens to me, what will happen to my youngest son. He's 26 and on SSI because he has schizophrenia. He is also has mild autistic tendencies, is very paranoid, rarely leaves his bedroom let alone the apartment, and has no impulse control. I'm his payee and if something happened to me, I don't know how he would manage.

Same with me regarding my husband, and to a lesser extent, my brother.  Yesterday, my husband nearly fell, twice.  Luckily, I was nearby and stabilized his balance.  

Fortunately, we don't have to shop for quite awhile and have been homebound since last Friday.  

• Love 6

we have been home for a week now -- got groceries on friday last with a few fill-ins that were bought and brought to me this week.  cleaning up things like garage cupboards and closets. its a good feeling but i dont enjoy it at all. now, its nap time!

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I have the same anxiety. My husband has Alzheimer's and is very dependent on me. I was treated for breast cancer last year and seem to have come through that, and now this virus is hanging over all of us. I don't know what would happen to him if I were to get really sick, so we're being very careful.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Mrs. P. said:

I have the same anxiety. My husband has Alzheimer's and is very dependent on me. I was treated for breast cancer last year and seem to have come through that, and now this virus is hanging over all of us. I don't know what would happen to him if I were to get really sick, so we're being very careful.

I know some people who are self-isolating at home.  They have food delivered, no one in and they don’t go out, except to sit on porch. Most are seniors and/or have lung, health issues.  I get it. I may do it soon, depending on how things go this weekend. 

I put up a small Christmas tree and some window candles.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9

@galaxychaser Some grocery stores and drug stores sell books. You check there. Also sometimes places that help people like homeless shelters have books. If you're not homeless, offer to swap books you've already read and own for books you haven't.

I usually have a cold (which I do), but I was feeling flushed tonight and now I have a low grade fever. I'm scared. 

I'm a millenial though.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

My company had decided not to shut down or change our store hours. I am in Texas and have not been told told to lock down. However, even in the area they have been told to lock down they still have the employees go to work. They lock the door and call customers to buy and do curbside pick up. I have not decided if this is good or bad. We have a paycheck but still have a small chance of getting the virus. We have been very slow maybe two customers a day. They have told us if you are uncomfortable working you can take time off but no paycheck. They have said if you are sick to not come in. They do seem to be trying to take the pandemic serious but still make sure we get paid.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

AUDIBLE announced all kid's audiobooks are free while school is closed.

This might be a good option for story time/bed time?

Also, I have Dish Network, and they sent me an email that said they were adding different channels free in the coming weeks while we all have to stay home.

They do this every month anyway, but this time there's some good channels added!😂

You might want to check to see if your TV provider is doing something similar.

(I wouldn't have known about it except for that email.) 

Ps..for those of you that have Dish..these are NOT listed on the preview channel...they just suddenly "appeared" (like, all of a sudden I have ALL the Showtime channels) hope I'm making sense)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Nysha said:

Our corner of CT seems to have been relatively unscathed thus far, but CT is a tiny state, and the percentage of people actually tested for the virus is even tinier in proportion. I guess yesterday marked the first official case in our county, so that means it's definitely out there. We have everything we need to stay home and isolated for a good few weeks, I will need to go see my mom and bring her a few groceries here and there (she should probably be staying with us. but prefers to tough it out as long as she can). I'll need to help out my daughter here and there a bit as well, watching my granddaughter, and since my son in law still has to go to work right now, there's some risk. But in the general scheme of things. I'd say we are set about as well as we can be. Just hanging in there and hoping for the best...

• Love 7

Dammit, I just realized I left my plant in the office.

Someone in my office reported exposure to the virus today (his girlfriend was positive for it) and now my building is locked down for deep cleaning. Everyone who had contact with him has been asked to self quarantine for 14 days. I met with him over 2 weeks ago so I think I'm in the clear but I'm working from home anyway. I'm not telling my parents about this because my mom will freak out and try to come see me and she's immunocompromised. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I like my L’Occitaine with shea butter!!

Everyone want to hear a funny story about lotion??

So when I went to undergrad a had a roommate who had very oily skin (pale red head who used oil blotting papers). I had never seen anyone use those before, but I quickly figured out what they were for. People asked me how the roommate thing was going, and I commented that she took really long showers (I would shower first- not a problem) and it had been WEEKS and I had never seen this woman use lotion. I had not seen her facial moisturizer, hand cream, body lotion or anything. I was concerned for her. Like did her fav get discontinued? How was she dealing? Was it a cost thing? 

I was told “Scarlett- White people dont use lotion.” And I said “that’s completely ridiculous. I have grown up around white people, and all different ethnic groups, everyone uses lotion!” And they replied “I’m sure they do- in CHICAGO, in the WINTER, not in New Orleans, in the SUMMER!!” Hahahaha. 

This reminded me of Mellody Hobson “Color Blind Vs Color Brave” video where she says at the end “if you are white like my husband (George Lucas), you will learn Black people, men, women and children, use lotion every single day.”😂😂😂😂😂😂 

This is so true. I'm white and live in  NJ and can't use Ivory soap during the winter months or anything with moisturizer (shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe vera, caress or dove) in the summer months. 

• Love 4

I'm in NJ and there's a curfew of 8pm-5am. This is a nightmare since I'm a maid at a motel. That's usually when we get most of our business. So we have no business or 0-2 customers a day. I'm scared to clean the rooms because I don't know what people were in these rooms and at the same time, I need the customers because I get paid per room. Bittersweet indeed. We're considered a 'non essential business' , but have not yet received the order from the NJ governor to shut down for 2 weeks. So we remain open. Not sure if that's a good thing. Not sure if it's bad because I need the customers. Needless to say, I'm a little stressed out!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

AUDIBLE announced all kid's audiobooks are free while school is closed.

This might be a good option for story time/bed time?

Also, I have Dish Network, and they sent me an email that said they were adding different channels free in the coming weeks while we all have to stay home.

They do this every month anyway, but this time there's some good channels added!😂

You might want to check to see if your TV provider is doing something similar.

(I wouldn't have known about it except for that email.) 

Ps..for those of you that have Dish..these are NOT listed on the preview channel...they just suddenly "appeared" (like, all of a sudden I have ALL the Showtime channels) hope I'm making sense)

No free premium channels for me. Bummer.

1 hour ago, GinnyLee said:

This is so true. I'm white and live in  NJ and can't use Ivory soap during the winter months or anything with moisturizer (shea butter, cocoa butter, aloe vera, caress or dove) in the summer months. 

Wait- educate me, what’s the deal on ivory soap? To me ivory soap is pretty drying so no you wouldn’t want to use it in the winter (or ever), ivory is what people used who had really sensitive skin (No fragrance) But now that there are places like Lush and natural care stores I don’t know many (black) people who use Ivory. It was the soap for my grandmother’s generation- again so drying!

Or Ivory is what you bought money was REALLY tight and that’s all you could afford, or a craft project or to hand out to those in need. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Wait- educate me, what’s the deal on ivory soap? To me ivory soap is pretty drying so no you wouldn’t want to use it in the winter (or ever), ivory is what people used who had really sensitive skin (No fragrance) But now that there are places like Lush and natural care stores I don’t know many (black) people who use Ivory. It was the soap for my grandmother’s generation- again so drying!

Or Ivory is what you bought money was REALLY tight and that’s all you could afford, or a craft project or to hand out to those in need. 

I prefer Dove myself, but Ivory works for me, too. I have sensitive and oily skin, so the drying-out works in my favor. I could see where it would be a problem with already dry skin, though! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I prefer Dove myself, but Ivory works for me, too. I have sensitive and oily skin, so the drying-out works in my favor. I could see where it would be a problem with already dry skin, though! 

Ah! That does make sense if you have both sensitive and oily skin Ivory would be a great choice for you. Thanks!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Ah! That does make sense if you have both sensitive and oily skin Ivory would be a great choice for you. Thanks!

Yep, it can be a bit of a balancing line. Most of the skin care products I use are Burt's Bees because most other things give me an allergic reaction. I've even had some issues with Burt's Bees lines. (Their Brightening line is my sworn enemy.) I have seriously oily skin too. Like, I can't even begin to describe how oily it is. Well, I could, but it might be TMI. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
Just now, Zella said:

Yep, it can be a bit of a balancing line. Most of the skin care products I use are Burt's Bees because most other things give me an allergic reaction. I've even had some issues with Burt's Bees lines. (Their Brightening line is my sworn enemy.) I have seriously oily skin too. Like, I can't even begin to describe how oily it is. LOL

I have such dry skin. So dry. It doesn’t make oil at all. I have no idea what that feels like. I’m constantly adding moisturizers to it. No one ever believes I have dry skin because it doesn’t flake or have patches (well duh I exfoliate and moisturize as required! I am not leaving the house patchy!!), until they touch it, for example if I go to get my makeup done and they realize my face isn’t making oil. 

I know when I hit menopause I’m going to turn into a reptile and start shedding when I take off my clothes. I am ready- will just have to spend more on skin care. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I have such dry skin. So dry. It doesn’t make oil at all. I have no idea what that feels like. I’m constantly adding moisturizers to it. No one ever believes I have dry skin because it doesn’t flake or have patches (well duh I exfoliate and moisturize as required! I am not leaving the house patchy!!), until they touch it, for example if I go to get my makeup done and they realize my face isn’t making oil. 

I know when I hit menopause I’m going to turn into a reptile and start shedding when I take off my clothes. I am ready- will just have to spend more on skin care. 

Oh wow that sounds really uncomfortable. 😞

I've always envied my brother's hair and skin. It seems to be never dry or oily. And he never had the acne problems I still have. I . . . am baffled by it. I wonder whose genes he got on that end. 

• Love 2

Building management sent out a notice on what social distancing exactly entails today. They explicitly stated no parties and no having people over. FaceTime or Skype your friends. 

I'm currently listening to a party. 😒

These are the same people begging our landlord for a rent freeze. I'm getting increasingly annoyed that they want help but seemingly do not want to take any measures to help the general population. 

I'm pretty sure our generation would have never survived the sacrifices many people had to make during WWII. "But muh video game. Muh chai frap".

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Nysha said:

If he has Medicaid, you might touch base with his case worker, just to let her know the situation so there is a safety net, in worst case scenario.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I had no idea. I’ve used Ivory soap for years because it was so mild it didn’t irritate my skin. I have very sensitive skin and have since birth.  Ivory worked, so I stuck with it. A tag in my clothes can turn my back super red.  My skin is normal in oil though. I do have severe dry eye, though, I have that under control right now due to acupuncture and diet.

• Love 3

I have very oily skin, too. However, last year, following the advice of skincare addiction on reddit, I started using a nightly moisturizer. To my utter shock, my skin has been dramatically less oily. Over the summer my skin looked dewy instead of slick and making my hair gross, etc. I have two theories. One is that, while I didn’t think I was using products to strip my skin of oil, perhaps I was and my skin had upped the oil production to stay hydrated. Or, I’m in my late thirties and coincidentally my skin is naturally cutting back on the oil.  @Zella now would be a great time to see if it works for you. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3