Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, EVS said:

Currently at hospital getting immunotherapy. There are not enough masks so the nurses don’t have them. My nurse said some of their masks were taken from the infusion rooms by patients. If I can get through this, I should be safely isolated at home for the next four weeks (when my next treatment is scheduled).  

OMG.  This makes me cry.  In NC, Wake Med and UNC are asking the public to make handmade masks.  I think the instructions are online. I wish I knew how to sew.  I saw a lady on tv this morning who is trying to make 10 a day.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG.  This makes me cry.  In NC, Wake Med and UNC are asking the public to make handmade masks.  I think the instructions are online. I wish I knew how to sew.  I saw a lady on tv this morning who is trying to make 10 a day.  

I think it was probably cancer patients who didn’t have any masks and helped themselves to a couple. If a lot of people did that, then each room would run out quickly. It’s so sad that there aren’t enough for sick people or for hospital staff, and I suspect there are still people who bought a lot of them to sell for profit. I offered the nurse my extra disposable mask but she said to keep it for my next treatment. I wish I could sew also. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

EVS, if I had any masks, I’d send them to you and other people around here who are fighting an illness. I have two and I’ve worn both. 

Thank you so much. Fortunately my son managed to get a few for me. I have 3 more disposable ones that I will save for treatment days. Hopefully this will be over by the time I use them. 

• Love 11

A local company which makes sports apparel, has begun making masks using an antimicrobial material normally used in singlets for wrestlers. Story here: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/23/rocky-mountain-nationals-wrestling-face-masks/

You can order them on their website: https://www.xpagear.com/Safety-Shield-Face-Masks_c_602.html. I have NO connection to this company, I have not contacted them myself. I have no idea how backordered they are or if they are going to be shipping only to hospitals/medical facilities. 

I'm truly just passing this on if anyone wants to read the story and/or get in touch with them. 

I'm an introvert who lives alone and is usually okay with it. I'm grateful to be healthy and even to have a temp job going right now that I can do at home. I'm trying to focus on the positive, and fight my inclination to eat out of boredom. I mean, assuming I survive this pandemic, if I were ever to be featured on a reality TV show? I would NOT choose - or want to be a contender for -My 600 Pound Life. Just saying. 🙄

Sending good thoughts to all of you!

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 21
21 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Anyone heard from Happyfatchick?  I think per the profile the last time she posted was October of 2019.  Been awhile.

11 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have @Happyfatchick in my Facebook friends somewhere. If I can find and recognize the name, I'll try to shoot her a note from us.

11 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Me, too. Actually she just commented on one of my posts yesterday. I'll contact her!

9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Eta: she just posted back to me and said she'd drop in here a little later, probably today. Yay!

So funny--I was just thinking of her, too. Must be something out in the universe. Thanks, Jynnan Tonnix for reeling her back in!

I read yesterday that Christian Siriano has reopened his shop to make masks and gowns and is getting certified to make N95 masks as soon as possible, as well.

• Love 6

@doodlebug thank you for addressing the cloth masks. I'm seeing that everywhere on social media and I kept wondering if they would actually even work. It's well intentioned, but sounds ultimately ineffective. 

Also thanks for the general information and insight into the healthcare world right now. I appreciate your updates.

• Love 12

My mom told me to keep calm, social distance, and work on flattening the curve the other day. She's not entirely sure what flattening the curve means.

I am calling her every day since I made the decision to stay put rather than go back home. I allot myself at least an hour playing Sudoku while she rants about every single member of the household individually. That includes every pet as well.

It is going to be a long few months... At least I know they are safe. My sister moved back in with them for the duration of the outbreak. She can be stone cold and will put her foot down with both of them when they start being ridiculous about not seeking medical attention.

• Love 15

@doodlebug, thanks for that informative update - and the funny meme. I always appreciate your posts and the latest are especially valuable. 

@Scarlett45, bless your mom. She's a few months older than me, and I tip my hat to her!

BTW, I mentioned the company making masks above because a few folks with medical conditions were talking about masks here. I'm healthy and have no interest in getting a mask for myself so I haven't looked into the subject very deeply. I've understood pretty much what @doodlebug posted: for healthy people, wearing a cloth mask isn't a preventative. Just a waste of a mask.

Story time. Yesterday morning I took advantage of my nearby Whole Foods' "senior hour" for the geezer crowd (7 - 8 am) because (a) a package from Amazon had finally arrived in the locker there to be picked up, and (b) I was down to my last two probiotic capsules and WF sells them. As I was standing - spaced from others by the taped lines on the floor - waiting to check out, a guy walked by me. He had on a mask - which was UNDER his nose. I wonder if he felt my eyes on him because he reached up and put the mask back over his nose. I hope to hell he was healthy and wasting a mask vs. sick and not wearing it properly. Oy.

I posted above that I'm an introvert and tend not to go out a lot. But I DO get squirrelly if I stay in too much. We're going to have a nice if windy day today, but snow's on the way tomorrow or tomorrow night. My goal is to get outdoors for a little walk, at least twice today. 

@PikaScrewChu, I know what you mean, that it's going to be a long few months. Sounds like you have a good grip on things. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9

Oh how many people I see with a mask under their chin or nose 🤣. My neighbor gave me a few I wear them only inside a store. And I found wet ones/Lysol wipes yesterday. Limit 2 each.

Empty shelves and limit 1/2 per item. Even limit on meat/eggs. Why not limit when there was stuff in stock? 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Thanks @doodlebug for your update. I was wondering if they were going to reassign doctors incl you.  

The wound center I go to is closed.  It is located inside our neighborhood hospital and is staffed with about ten great RNs.  I'm sure they have been reassigned to other parts of the hospital by now since the wound center closed. I've been thinking about them and am sure they are doing tasks they aren't used to & haven't done for awhile.  They don't have to deal with giving meds, doing IVs & blood draws & all the other things related to being  a floor nurse at the wound center. I'm sure they are glad to help where they are needed but  can't wait to get back to their norm. 

My niece is a PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) nurse.  They have had no cases yet. They are allowed to go home but have been told to pack a bag just in case they will be required to stay at the hospital.  She is upset they don't have enough supplies (just like other hospitals) especially since her unit deals with the sickest of the sickest kids on a regular basis. 

I saw this on our local news this morning & hope it bring a smile.  It showed a mom who is homeschooling her two elementary age daughters. She's tried to keep their school routine as normal as possible & starts each school day with the Pledge of Allegance. She decided to take it outside so they can use the large flag on a flagpole in the center of their court.  Other neighbors soon joined in the morning Pledge as well as walkers who just happened to be strolling by.  I'm sure the mom didn't realize how her simple idea of saying the Pledge outside would blossom and affect so many. 🇺🇸

Stay safe everyone.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 19

@doodlebug- good information - about the masks - I am in Atlanta and the hospitals around here are actively requesting we make masks. Including the Emory system. They are using them over their real masks. The CDC said use a bandana because something is better than nothing - unless that isn’t real. There is a Facebook group coordinating it all and seems like more hospitals getting on board. So unless the hospitals are just playing along maybe it is a regional need. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@doodlebug my Mom is a bit older than you (72 next week!) and is still going into clinic because she says she took an oath, and because she doesn’t want to be at home with my sister all day.😂 She too had a bunch of patients ask her would home birth be an good option now because of hospital restrictions on visitors. I’m sure you can imagine the look she gave them. 

They asked her if she wanted to work from home and she said she couldn’t do an effective pelvic exam from her computer. She’s a solider. 

@SCARLETT45, your mom is a pioneer!  She is one of the women who paved the way for the rest of us who chose medical specialties that were not considered 'women's work' back in the day.  When I started my residency, there had been a grand total of 3 women in the OB/GYN program to that time.  One was a year ahead of me, one dropped out after a messy divorce and became an anesthesiologist and there was exactly one woman who had actually completed the residency and was out in practice.  I met her and she was tough as nails and had some incredible stories.

My residency had 4 residents per year for 16 total.  When I matched, all 4 of us were female in my year.  A first for my residency and, in Columbus, only Ohio State had an all-woman class that was a couple years ahead of us.  So, we went from 15 guys, one girl to 11 guys, 5 girls. By the time I finished, women were dominant and have been ever since.  Now, it is kinda unusual to have male residents.  The residency at our hospital has somewhere around 30 residents (I don't keep track) and, currently, all but 2 are female.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

@SCARLETT45, your mom is a pioneer!  She is one of the women who paved the way for the rest of us who chose medical specialties that were not considered 'women's work' back in the day.  When I started my residency, there had been a grand total of 3 women in the OB/GYN program to that time.  One was a year ahead of me, one dropped out after a messy divorce and became an anesthesiologist and there was exactly one woman who had actually completed the residency and was out in practice.  I met her and she was tough as nails and had some incredible stories.

My residency had 4 residents per year for 16 total.  When I matched, all 4 of us were female in my year.  A first for my residency and, in Columbus, only Ohio State had an all-woman class that was a couple years ahead of us.  So, we went from 15 guys, one girl to 11 guys, 5 girls. By the time I finished, women were dominant and have been ever since.  Now, it is kinda unusual to have male residents.  The residency at our hospital has somewhere around 30 residents (I don't keep track) and, currently, all but 2 are female.  

When my Mom graduated from medical school there were 18 black people in her class. (Out of 125) 6 of those black people were women. In her OB/Gyn rotation she and her BFF (my god mother, who’s fighting cancer right now and SHES still going to work two days a week because she says women are still entitled to health care) were the only black women on the rotation. They made it.

If she can do what she did Whats my excuse for anything?? I don’t have one.  I have to stay healthy for her so she can take care of others. 

My god mother has cancer and is thinking of other people!!!! 

In other news- I have not heard from my sister’s old caregiver G (who retired in Sept). I am going to start calling. She normally texts me right back. 

• Love 17
32 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

@doodlebug- good information - about the masks - I am in Atlanta and the hospitals around here are actively requesting we make masks. Including the Emory system. They are using them over their real masks. The CDC said use a bandana because something is better than nothing - unless that isn’t real. There is a Facebook group coordinating it all and seems like more hospitals getting on board. So unless the hospitals are just playing along maybe it is a regional need. 

No, the CDC really did recommend bandanas for health care providers who can't get N95 masks.  Cloth masks are better than no mask at all, so it does make sense for healthcare workers to use them if nothing else is available.  However, it does seem somewhat mind boggling that the wealthiest country on earth cannot provide appropriate equipment to its front line in this crisis.

C.jpg

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

No, the CDC really did recommend bandanas for health care providers who can't get N95 masks.  Cloth masks are better than no mask at all, so it does make sense for healthcare workers to use them if nothing else is available.  However, it does seem somewhat mind boggling that the wealthiest country on earth cannot provide appropriate equipment to its front line in this crisis.

That is the mind boggling issue 

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Right??

My OB/GYN DIL told me yesterday each dr at her hospital has been given one surgical mask. when they leave at night it goes in a sealed bag. they take it home and bring it back. if they do a surgery that is their mask, if they must do 2 surgeries in a row it is with the same mask.

lose yours or someone takes it, you have nothing. there are no other masks

I saw a post on FB the other night where people were taking diapers and turning them into masks! I guess this is better than just a bandanna, but have we really reached a point where people are going out with diapers on their heads? Maybe so.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Or rich and Royal..Prince Charles was just tested and has it.

Apparently he was showing symptoms. Besides a bad cough, they haven't said what those symptoms are. There's a difference between asymptomatic rich people getting tested and people who show signs of having the virus getting tested. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Apparently he was showing symptoms. Besides a bad cough, they haven't said what those symptoms are. There's a difference between asymptomatic rich people getting tested and people who show signs of having the virus getting tested. 

Also he and his wife were tested by the NHS. You can view it as a waste of public resources, or as a show of confidence in the public health service that pretty much everyone uses (vs. going to a private lab which I assume they could have done). It's a matter of perspective. 

Interesting that it took only a day for the test results. Don't know if that's average for NHS testing for the virus but they seem to have the technology to do a pretty quick turnaround compared to what I've been seeing in the news in the US. 

Here's what the linked BBC news story said: 

Charles had been displaying mild symptoms over the weekend and was tested by the NHS in Aberdeenshire on Monday.

The results came through on Tuesday night, showing he was positive.

Edited by Jeeves
added the quote
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Also he and his wife were tested by the NHS. You can view it as a waste of public resources, or as a show of confidence in the public health service that pretty much everyone uses (vs. going to a private lab which I assume they could have done). It's a matter of perspective. 

Interesting that it took only a day for the test results. Don't know if that's average for NHS testing for the virus but they seem to have the technology to do a pretty quick turnaround compared to what I've been seeing in the news in the US. 

Here's what the linked BBC news story said: 

People (with money) are paying to get tests at private clinics in the UK, too.

but yeah, funny how some test results are taking a lot longer than others . . .

• Love 2

I just posted the message below in the Sister Wives forum, and I wanted to say the same here, since the same applies, and I think I may be mixing up this forum and the Sister Wives forum with my examples anyway 😄.

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to send a quick thanks to everyone in this forum for being a connection to the outside world for me!  I live alone,  am a loner at heart and love my "just me" time, but not when it's enforced, like now!!   All of you have been keeping me company, and I appreciate it.  

I often share things that I find here, including the live cam link to all the cute animals (I shared with my entire staff, who all loved it).   I can't remember who posted it to give you credit, but a lot of people on my end are enjoying it!

Today's example of sharing  was the awesome, succinct update post from @DOODLEBUG earlier today, which I shared with a couple of good friends.

So, without getting too mushy, thank you all for being here for me!  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

• Love 14

Popping in again. Only skimming posts because my anxiety creeps up when I least expect it and sometimes too much COVID info increases it. Hope you all are faring well during these crazy times. Virtual hugs to everyone.

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

update on sister in law and husband that were on the Grand Princess and then Miramar Marine base - finally, they got home late last night and are in good health. tested negative

one of their sons stocked them on basic supplies.

they are so relieved to be home

Yay!!

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

update on sister in law and husband that were on the Grand Princess and then Miramar Marine base - finally, they got home late last night and are in good health. tested negative

That's great news! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

I’m so glad to hear this! I’ve been so worried about them. 

• Love 10

Thanks @doodlebug for the informed update. It's thinks like this that Trump needs to be talking about in his less conferences, Even if it's not overwhelmingly positive. Information is better than platitudes. 

What struck me is the projections that activity in Ohio won't peak until mid-May. Do you have more information on that? I'm in MI and we're basically following OH's lead. I'm afraid of this continues like it is until mid-May people are going to take this less seriously than it needs to be. We can't convince people to stay in and away from others for two weeks. 😔😠 (We're not even going to talk about Trump wanting to open the country by Easter. The Pope cancelled Easter at the Vatican. Surely the Trump can follow suit.)

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, McManda said:

What struck me is the projections that activity in Ohio won't peak until mid-May. Do you have more information on that? I'm in MI and we're basically following OH's lead. 

They are telling us this in Arkansas too--we may not peak for another 6-8 weeks, which would be early-to-mid May. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

My sweet 92-year-old mother who has dementia is in an assisted living facility in Michigan where someone two days ago tested positive and is in the hospital with Covid-19.

They are all in lockdown in their rooms and I am scared for her.

We live in Washington state and are in self-isolation. So far, we’re healthy.

I am stress eating and drinking wine inappropriately. 

Clearly I have substandard coping skills and am mostly just scared witless.

😱😱😱

23 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

We have a Google group so the homeowners in our condo complex can post email questions or info for each other. There have been offers to shop, offers to share, and now a campaign to have people put their kids' drawings in the windows so kids can do art walks through the complex. People in the Bay Area are converting tiny libraries (the curated boxes in front of people's homes where you can take or leave a book) into venues to share supplies, including food and TP. Some good still exists in the world. Also, the Monterey Bay Aquarium has had a daily guided meditation with their jellyfish cameras each morning for the last few days.

We arranged one of our favorite places in our hometown to deliver two dozen sandwiches plus three dozen cookies for the staff at my dad's care facility tomorrow. Plus a special sandwich for Dad. We may be ~2500 miles away and the facility may be in lockdown but we can still try to be supportive.

Take care, everyone. It helps to have a community like this.

So much thought and kindness in your local area.  And what a incredibly loving idea to show appreciation to those who give care to your Dad with a special sandwich for him  ❤️.  

• Love 9

My neighborhood Google group has been posting updates offering to shop for seniors, relaying which stores still have supplies, planning neighborhood activities for people walking (we did a put a shamrock in your window last week for kids to find on their walks). It's nice.

My work finally slowed down over the last two days and I've had a chance to enjoy quarantine. I've tried an online pilates class the last two days and I'm sore in weird places. I worked out twice today, which never happens. 

• Love 12

Our library shortened its operating hours, and we are only having 2 people at a time on shifts. We are also quarantining items for 7 days (in addition to sanitizing them) before recirculating them. 

I've been pleasantly surprised by how understanding our patrons have been. They are sending us candy and hand cream through the dropbox. We sanitize before using, but they seem very appreciative they can still get movies and books, especially for those without internet at home (which is common in my county). 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, wilsie said:

So much thought and kindness in your local area.  And what a incredibly loving idea to show appreciation to those who give care to your Dad with a special sandwich for him  ❤️.  

You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. 

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

You brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. 

You are so very welcome.    So many times really good people are so humble in what they do without thinking about it they don't realize the impact they make on those they affect.  

• Love 10

3.3 million people filed for unemployment. This country is financially ruined. 

The virus is going to injure/kill a lot of people. 

I don’t believe that not wearing a mask is good advice. The virus is airborne. But there are no masks for anyone. Guess wearing a scarf will do. 

Im just really sad and feeling abandoned by human race. 

Feeling really crappy today. 

Edited by galaxychaser