Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

This is a cute song I sing with my grandson while we wash hands. Hope this helps with those of you with small kids. It’s sung to the tune of “Frere Jacques”.

Top and bottom, top and bottom

In-between, in-between

Wash them all around, wash them all around

Now they’re clean, now they’re clean.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
14 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

For anyone working from home, a friend sent this to me. My son and DIL say they’ve had most of these things today!!

image.thumb.jpeg.f022023b778001dca2ff1a327d168b52.jpeg

17 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Speaking of that.....

20200320_152519.jpg

Thanks for sharing these.  I broke out in hysterics reading the Conference Call Bingo. My son said he's had about 16 or 17 of them.  I will definitely be sharing.

A little story regarding Ivory Snow laundry detergent. My mom used it to wash our baby clothes including cloth diapers way back.  It claimed to be gentle for a baby's skin. I had terrible diaper rash & the doctor gave my mom all kind of advice to try to clear it up. One suggestion was changing the laundry detergent. She did and my diaper rash cleared up right away.  The doctor thought it was because the Ivory detergent was too mild and not getting the diapers clean enough.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh wow that sounds really uncomfortable. 😞

I've always envied my brother's hair and skin. It seems to be never dry or oily. And he never had the acne problems I still have. I . . . am baffled by it. I wonder whose genes he got on that end. 

It’s only uncomfortable if I don’t have my regimen. Leave me at work a day with no handcream and I will not be happy. ☹️ Otherwise it’s fine. Now granted this is all I have ever known, so I have nothing to compare to. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Temperance said:

@galaxychaser Some grocery stores and drug stores sell books. You check there. Also sometimes places that help people like homeless shelters have books. If you're not homeless, offer to swap books you've already read and own for books you haven't.

I usually have a cold (which I do), but I was feeling flushed tonight and now I have a low grade fever. I'm scared. 

I'm a millenial though.

Are you feeling any better? Do you still have a fever?

My mother is in a great assisted living facility. It is on the smaller side & everyone has a private room with its own bath so they have that going for them. I'm sure she's missing our visits as well as their entertainment (bingo games, keyboard player visits & occasional crafts.) She is very hard of hearing & has some dementia issues so talking to her on phone is difficult and hit or miss. For example,  my sister talked to her yesterday & asked her if she was doing OK.  My mom replied "what's that about a tow truck?"  So I decided to send her greeting cards instead of calling. She likes getting mail & we try to keep her up to date with our lives.  I saw that idea on the news. Think I'll wipe down the card with a Clorox wipe before sending just in case.

• Love 7

I'm on the phone with my niece right now. Her husband did test positive for Covid-19.

I really thought (and hoped) it wasn't going to be true, because he's a bit of a hypochondriac and is always running to the doctor with the slightest sniffle.

Edited by ChiCricket
18 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I'm on the phone with my niece right now. Her husband did test positive for Covid-19.

I really thought (and hoped) it wasn't going to be true, because he's a bit of a hypochondriac and is always running to the doctor with the slightest sniffle.

Hoping for the best for your niece’s husband.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, On the Bias said:

Hoping for the best for your niece’s husband

Thank you.

I asked her if they were going to test her family, and she said no...that they told her that they didn't have enough tests for that (it's just her, and their two daughters,btw.)

I asked her, well then did they at least tell you to warn all your friends and family that he does have it ,so they can watch out for symptoms themselves..and she said they no..they didn't.

I can understand not being able to test the throngs of people he interacted with at O'Hare Airport...but his small family of three?!  C'mon. 😕

7 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Are you feeling any better? Do you still have a fever?

My mother is in a great assisted living facility. It is on the smaller side & everyone has a private room with its own bath so they have that going for them. I'm sure she's missing our visits as well as their entertainment (bingo games, keyboard player visits & occasional crafts.) She is very hard of hearing & has some dementia issues so talking to her on phone is difficult and hit or miss. For example,  my sister talked to her yesterday & asked her if she was doing OK.  My mom replied "what's that about a tow truck?"  So I decided to send her greeting cards instead of calling. She likes getting mail & we try to keep her up to date with our lives.  I saw that idea on the news. Think I'll wipe down the card with a Clorox wipe before sending just in case.

I'm feeling better and the fever went away. I'm being cautious though. Thank you for asking!

ENT* doctors in the UK say that their patients notice they're losing smell/taste as very early symptom. They're cautiously saying it's an early symptom. This could be helpful in figuring out who might have it. Of course not everyone will get every symptom, but this may be important. 

@ChiCricket I hope your nephew and his family are strong and able to pull through this. 

*ENT doctors means these people deal (usually) with Ear, Nose, and Throat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

I'm feeling better and the fever went away. I'm being cautious though. Thank you for asking!

ENT* doctors in the UK say that their patients notice they're losing smell/taste as very early symptom. They're cautiously saying it's an early symptom. This could be helpful in figuring out who might have it. Of course not everyone will get every symptom, but this may be important. 

@ChiCricket I hope your nephew and his family are strong and able to pull through this. 

*ENT doctors means these people deal (usually) with Ear, Nose, and Throat. 

The smell/taste thing can happen with allergic reactions though. Ask me how I know. 😞

• Love 6

Hope everybody hangs in there.  Keep posting if it helps your sanity.  

I had to go get labs done early Friday morning as I have a routine visit on Tuesday.  The lab station is right off the quick care/immediate care check in and waiting area.  Totally empty except for two people sitting and another lady standing ahead of me for labs.  The radiology area was empty as well.  I think the only other time I've seen that particular area that cleared out was after 9/11, when it seemed that everything just stopped for those few days.  I can remember when my mom told me about how their town basically shut down to receive polio vaccinations, and then when John F Kennedy was shot how quiet it was.  

When we hit the grocery store yesterday it was packed, lines were long, but everyone was nice.  What struck me though is how worried people looked.  Not to the point of hysteria mind you but that 'my mind is occupied elsewhere' worried look.  I think so many of us have either elderly friends and relatives plus family with compromised immune systems and illnesses it's hard not to be.

• Love 5

There are some evil,evil people in the world. 😁
We've been working on a Christmas themed jigsaw puzzle since right after the holidays. For MONTHS.
 We just could NOT DO IT. 
 We finally realized that that some sick f#@k had donated a puzzle with TWO totally different (but with very similar, glittered looking pieces) to Goodwill in the same dang box!

(It felt SO good to throw it away today!!)

I really wanted to kill it with fire! 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4

The son with cancer has an appointment this week. He is told the oncologist is only seeing active cancer patients, scheduling so no sitting in waiting room, only one person can come with, no one allowed in cancer center from outside or rest of hospital complex. And extra sanitary precautions. This is Emory in Atlanta 

• Useful 4
  • Love 19

I'm sorry for being out of small talk for such a long time--I haven't fully caught up with the months of posts I've missed, but looks like I'll have some time for that now.  I'm really struggling with the whole be at home all day, every day thing--I'm used to being out of the house for 10-14 hours every day, and I'm going a little stir crazy.  I've read six books in the past week and made visible progress unpacking stuff I shoved into a room when I moved in here two years ago.  All the stuff I do for fun and income is shut down right now, so I feel kind of pressured to get that unpacking done.  I've figured out that if I were a pioneer back in the day, I probably would have killed myself!

On the other hand, I have plenty of time to do coursework on my master's in education, and I'm working on a short play I'm writing for the drama camp I hope to be leading this summer.  I also want to get at least one of my unfinished novels done while I'm off work.  All the times I've jeered at other people for not making good use of their time will bite me in the butt if I fritter away this opportunity to tend to unfinished business.

My county in Massachusetts has its first cases of the virus, so people are getting a little tense.  ChiCricket, I'm sorry to hear about your niece's husband.  I know there's lots I will want to say when I catch up reading, but I mostly wanted to say I've missed you all and thanks for keeping the other threads so lively--that helps me unwind when I get home after a long day.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

I'm sorry for being out of small talk for such a long time--I haven't fully caught up with the months of posts I've missed, but looks like I'll have some time for that now.  I'm really struggling with the whole be at home all day, every day thing--I'm used to being out of the house for 10-14 hours every day, and I'm going a little stir crazy.  I've read six books in the past week and made visible progress unpacking stuff I shoved into a room when I moved in here two years ago.  All the stuff I do for fun and income is shut down right now, so I feel kind of pressured to get that unpacking done.  I've figured out that if I were a pioneer back in the day, I probably would have killed myself!

On the other hand, I have plenty of time to do coursework on my master's in education, and I'm working on a short play I'm writing for the drama camp I hope to be leading this summer.  I also want to get at least one of my unfinished novels done while I'm off work.  All the times I've jeered at other people for not making good use of their time will bite me in the butt if I fritter away this opportunity to tend to unfinished business.

My county in Massachusetts has its first cases of the virus, so people are getting a little tense.  ChiCricket, I'm sorry to hear about your niece's husband.  I know there's lots I will want to say when I catch up reading, but I mostly wanted to say I've missed you all and thanks for keeping the other threads so lively--that helps me unwind when I get home after a long day.

It’s funny? That now that I am forced to be in one place all the time I have no motivation to do anything. I have quilts I could be working on. I have a pattern and yarn for two socks at a time. I have online continuing education I could do. All I do is shower and get dressed and then lie in the bed and play on my devices. What’s up with that. When the weather is nice which it isn’t today I like to take a long walk avoiding getting close to people. Crazy times 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
14 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

It’s funny? That now that I am forced to be in one place all the time I have no motivation to do anything. I have quilts I could be working on. I have a pattern and yarn for two socks at a time. I have online continuing education I could do. All I do is shower and get dressed and then lie in the bed and play on my devices. What’s up with that. When the weather is nice which it isn’t today I like to take a long walk avoiding getting close to people. Crazy times 

I feel the same way!  Lots to do, plenty of time (we change the clocks next weekend:  “Great,” said a friend of Best Beloved’s sourly, “an extra hour to spend confined to the house”), and the attention span of a grasshopper.  

On the bright side, doctors here in Spain are reporting that some patients who have been intubated have recovered to the point of having their tubes removed, which suggests that even those who are most gravely affected by the virus might recover.  

Keep safe, everyone.  

• Love 16

Throw me on the pile of the stir-crazy folks.

I know I should be grateful that neither myself nor anyone I love is sick, but it's getting harder and harder to pass the time. I'm sick of movies, there's only two or three tv shows I like and I haven't had the motivation to dive into a book. Mr. Bitter Apple is working from home, and although I love him dearly, we function best when we have separate daytime routines. My nerves are starting to get frayed. It makes me wonder how Fundie couples can do 24/7 togetherness without killing one another?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

We were supposed to put our house on the market on April 1. That's been postponed, obviously, but there was a lot of work that had to be done to get it ready for photographing, video, open houses etc. Mr. Toast was working from home a lot more because of the new position so that isn't new. But this isolation has meant that we can really work on the house a lot. Everything that I can do as far as sorting and rearranging I have basically done so it's mostly waiting until Mr Toast goes through his stuff. So my routine would have already been disrupted and all this talk of spring cleaning and I'm like, "Yep been doing that because I have to." Downside is we needed a few extra "finishings" (a hand towel holder and new shower curtain) that aren't essentials so I'm not going out to look at them but we still need them.

It's likely the initial assessment of the house will be lowered when we are permitted to put it on the market. And it sucks because that was our downpayment--even lower will be enough but it's still disappointing. If we had put it on when he got his job, in October, it would have sold for more. But he was given the time so the kids could finish school, especially since my son is a senior in high school. And now my daughter is missing out on time with her friends who she will be leaving when we move. In the grand scheme of things, it means so little. But I'm selfishly angry and disappointed about it.

• Love 13

I have done the self quarantine at home many times for various health reasons up to 3 months.. sometimes because i was extremely ill myself and others when i was a threat to infect others.

what I have learned -

most important - find something to laugh about each day. even if it is dark humor. sometimes you just need to laugh.

if you are not frantically trying to sort working from home or trying to home school children in this, find a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, find a purpose. one small thing each day. today I will do....  have a focus.

i have made several quilts from kits ordered online, learned world geography, currently taking an online course to relearn/refresh my spanish because my grand kids are learning spanish. I was set to have them here and do home school with them, but now not safe. we are doing pen pal letters in spanish to practice what we learn.

this will pass, the world will look different when we come out on the other side.

stay connected, ask for what you need, trust people will help - some will some won't, but ask.

these are things I have learned

• Useful 6
  • Love 10

The governor announced a mandatory lockdown beginning tomorrow at 5 pm.  As of his press conference, we had close to 900 cases and 20 deaths in the two weeks since the first case was reported in my state.  Our trajectory is eerily similar to Italy, and that is unsettling.  

I still have to report to work tomorrow, but I’m not sure about the next day.  I work for the labor department, and because of the exponentially high number of unemployment calls, it looked like a Monday afternoon not a Sunday when I went into the office.  I’m not essential but it it’s the secretary’s decision to make. 

I’m glad the governor told people to stop hoarding groceries and toiletries. It’s getting ridiculous.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm sick of movies, 

I was so bored I watched a Daniel Craig James Bond movie. I dislike both James Bond and Daniel Craig. LOL

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

I wish I was bored! I'm in corporate communications for my company and we haven't had a break for the last two weeks. We are cranking out communications faster than I can breathe (my company is a financial institution so we won't close). I'm hopeful this week we'll reach a point where we have templates for everything or just minor updates to things. I'm exhausted. 

My county issued a shelter in place order today until April 2, so I'm home for the foreseeable future. 

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

too. am still working, but it is a whole different world.  We're screening everyone at the entrance to the waiting room, patients were allowed to bring one adult with them to their visits, but that is now down to no friends or family allowed.  We have an obstetric ultrasound unit on our floor and had several people melt down when they found out their husband, mother and 4 other kids would not be allowed in the room to watch the ultrasound.  There is a monitor where it can be seen in another room and everyone gets a link to view it online at home; but that is not enough.  We had to get security to ask a guy to leave last week when he began shouting at the receptionist that it was unfair and probably illegal that his mother in law couldn't find out the baby's sex at the same time he and his wife did.  People are just a bit on edge.

The hospital doesn't allow visitors for most patients.  Women in labor can have one support person, no exceptions.  If a patient has hired a doula to be with her in labor (we get a fair number who do), then the doula becomes her support person and no one else gets in.  Pediatric patients get one visitor and patients who are dying will be allowed visitors on a case by case basis.

In our office, everyone has to have their temperature taken first thing in the morning and anyone with any sort of sniffles or whatever has to wear a mask.  They tell us to stay home if we're sick, but it's not always practical.  We've got 2 medical assistants with young kids who haven't been able to work since the schools closed because of lack of childcare.

Employees have been told they may be reassigned to other areas if needed.  We're allowed to state a preference for virtual visits or for direct patient care.  Two of the docs I work with have young kids; they volunteered for virtual work with the support and encouragement of myself and the other doc in the office.  We're both single, no kids and no one at home in fragile health, so, if direct patient care is needed, we're the better option.  I actually bought some scrubs, which I never wear in the office.  If I'm assigned elsewhere to work in a riskier area, I am going to wear them and probably toss them at the end of my shift.

Anyone looking for a good daily summary of what is the latest with the crisis and good practical info on what to do, including advice on coping with stress and keeping the kids entertained; google Mike DeWine, governor of Ohio.  He and Dr Amy Acton, our doc in chief, give a daily press conference at 2 PM that is impressively informative and cautious while also reassuring.  Dr Amy is a whiz at explaining statistics and epidemiology so anyone can understand.  

Our governor, a guy with whom I often disagree, has been stellar throughout this crisis, far more articulate and caring than any other politician I've seen.  I met him once, he is a nice guy and so small he almost fits in my pocket.  I think he's 5'3" or so, but he is standing tall these days.

Ohio goes on lockdown tomorrow at midnight.  Or as Governor De Wine said, 'Why don't we call it staying at home?  That's so much clearer than sheltering in place or lockdown.  This is the Midwest, let's be nice and stay home'.  (Greatly paraphrased, but that was the gist of it)

Edited 29 minutes ago by doodlebug

Thank you for your helpful information and for being an incredibly caring and decent human being.  You remind me of my doctor and she's awesome.  I hope you and the others you work with stay well and know that you are the best we have in this world.  Thank you again.

• Love 24

I'm realizing that my normal lifestyle was pretty much quarantine already 😂 I've worked from home for years, most of my friends live further away so we talk all day long in a group chat, and my husband and I don't go out much. On normal days I'd pick the girls up from school and maybe take them to an activity, but I can't say I'm missing either of those things that much. 

It's pretty surreal for me because on one hand, my life hasn't changed much in the day to day. But then I still feel stressed and anxious and realize how much everything is changing at the same time. 

Spring Break is over, so my husband and I gathered any educational items we have in our house and came up with a rough lesson plan for this week. I doubt it will take more than 90 minutes of their day, but we wanted to do something to exercise their brains and keep them somewhat on track. 

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm realizing that my normal lifestyle was pretty much quarantine already 😂 I've worked from home for years, most of my friends live further away so we talk all day long in a group chat, and my husband and I don't go out much. On normal days I'd pick the girls up from school and maybe take them to an activity, but I can't say I'm missing either of those things that much. 

It's pretty surreal for me because on one hand, my life hasn't changed much in the day to day. But then I still feel stressed and anxious and realize how much everything is changing at the same time. 

This is kind of my experience too. I work part-time at a library but the rest of the time I work from home. So, working from home on those days isn't so different from usual in theory, but it is different because I'm so stressed-out and obsessed with reading COVID-19 updates, which is not doing wonders for my mental health, and it is hard to be productive. 

Hmm Now that I've talked it out, maybe I'm watching movies I don't like more as a distraction rather than out of boredom. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 12
45 minutes ago, Zella said:

This is kind of my experience too. I work part-time at a library but the rest of the time I work from home. So, working from home on those days isn't so different from usual in theory, but it is different because I'm so stressed-out and obsessed with reading COVID-19 updates, which is not doing wonders for my mental health, and it is hard to be productive. 

Yes! I've found I need to back away from the news sometimes to keep any sort of focus. 

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Harvey Weinstein got tested for Corona. A criminal! So unfair. 

He tested positive. 

Prisoners are packed in cheek to jowl, it’s very important that Coronavirus doesn’t take hold in prisons. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
40 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

He tested positive. 

Prisoners are packed in cheek to jowl, it’s very important that Coronavirus doesn’t take hold in prisons. 

Yeah, prisons have got to be like Petrie dishes for this virus. 

• Love 6
On 3/20/2020 at 11:52 AM, BitterApple said:

Have any of you read the book "Educated" by Tara Westover? It was recommended by a YouTube vlogger I follow and appears to get rave reviews. I'm thinking of ordering it for my Kindle.

My best friend gave me a copy but I have yet to read it. She told me it reminded her of the toxicity in her home growing up so I am a little afraid.

On 3/20/2020 at 12:40 PM, Jeeves said:

My hair is going to be really stupid looking by the time I can get it cut again. About a dozen times today I have reminded myself that this is NOT a health and welfare issue and if this is the worst that happens to me I am one fucking lucky woman. 

Right? I have not seen my natural hair color for decades--not for fear of grey, just because I think it's boring. If this is the worst of the situation for me, so be it and thank the universe.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:48 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I had no idea. I’ve used Ivory soap for years because it was so mild it didn’t irritate my skin. I have very sensitive skin and have since birth.  Ivory worked, so I stuck with it. A tag in my clothes can turn my back super red.  My skin is normal in oil though. I do have severe dry eye, though, I have that under control right now due to acupuncture and diet.

I have also used Ivory soap for years because it does not irritate my senisitve skin and does not have fragrance. I hate fragranced soap with a passion. I also used to us it because it does not have glycerin and glycerin interfered with my ability to clean my contacts (in the palm of my hand). I have crazy dry skin and hair and have to sleep like Minnie Mouse in cotton gloves over slathered moisturizer on a regular basis.

We have been sheltering in place here in Northern California for 9.5 days now (official order was just less than a week ago but we were feeling like it was a good idea a bit earlier). We got out for a walk once, and it was interesting to watch the unspoken social distancing precautions of stepping off sidewalks and crossing streets. Our county has one of the highest rates in the state which has one of the highest rates in the country so people are pretty aware. I had one really depressed and anxious day so far when I could not get any grocery delivery times (I have asthma and am thus high risk so I do not want to go to the store) but I was able to book one the next day and things are looking brighter. We had to cancel our trip to see my dad for his 84th birthday. His care facility is on lockdown, anyway, as it should be. It does make me wonder if I will see him again but I try not to dwell there. My husband was about to retire and we are wondering if we should second guess that. We are cancelling our trip overseas to celebrate his retirement. Such a weird time.

Oh! And I read half of "Such a Fun Age" by Kiley Reid this afternoon and I cannot wait to read the other half tomorrow.

• Love 14

If you have time and need something to do, you could try emailing TLC to get Geoffrey Paschel kicked off 90 Day Fiance: Before the 90 Days. (I would, but I forgot how to email them.)

Spoiler

Several women have accused of assault, including at least one ex-wife.  He has four ex-wives and allegedly at least 6 children with at least 5 women.

I thought about putting this about TLC thread, but put it here. He does look/sound like JB. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 1

Yep a lot of homeless will get sick just because they have no access to wash hands.  

Prisons is the same story. 

I really enjoy people on here. You all make me laugh. 

This quarantine might drive me crazy 😜

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Yep a lot of homeless will get sick just because they have no access to wash hands.  

Prisons is the same story. 

I really enjoy people on here. You all make me laugh. 

This quarantine might drive me crazy 😜

Not to mention that most homeless people staying in shelters are forced to leave during the day.  In normal times, they could go to the library or the mall or fast food joints to hang out until the shelter re-opened.  It is 40 ish and drizzling in Cleveland today, I cannot imagine having to be outside for 12 or more hours; it must be miserable for them.  Remember, too, that many of those using the shelters are also dealing with mental illness and a lot of other chronic conditions.

My brother, who is disabled due to mental illness, was homeless by choice (his, not ours) a few years ago.  It was heartbreaking.  Pray for all the people on the margins of society.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I have done the self quarantine at home many times for various health reasons up to 3 months.. sometimes because i was extremely ill myself and others when i was a threat to infect others.

what I have learned -

most important - find something to laugh about each day. even if it is dark humor. sometimes you just need to laugh.

if you are not frantically trying to sort working from home or trying to home school children in this, find a new hobby, pick up an old hobby, find a purpose. one small thing each day. today I will do....  have a focus.

i have made several quilts from kits ordered online, learned world geography, currently taking an online course to relearn/refresh my spanish because my grand kids are learning spanish. I was set to have them here and do home school with them, but now not safe. we are doing pen pal letters in spanish to practice what we learn.

this will pass, the world will look different when we come out on the other side.

stay connected, ask for what you need, trust people will help - some will some won't, but ask.

these are things I have learned

That's what I've learned to do after my medical problems hit five and a half years ago. Looking at who knows how many months of being housebound except for doctor appointments. While its really easy to put things off and spend each day doing nothing when you have no schedule and nothing to do the next day either. But not having anything to accomplish or do, while days and months past by is just as frustrating. But also boring. In my case I'm very limited in what I can do. I got the idea from one of Debbie Macomber books where the heroine had cancer as a kid or teen started knitting to give her something to do and something that she could accomplish. I can't sew but I do like writing stories. So I started doing that. It gave me something to do and something to focus on. When I finished I felt like I actually accomplished something. So I moved onto another story. Then started setting goals. Weekly goals, monthly goals and yearly ones. How many can I finish in a month? In a year. Sometimes I meet them and sometimes I don't. But it gives me something to do. As does movie and TV show marathons. And books.  When another year passes at least I've finished this many stories. However long the quarantine lasts. Find something to do. Something every day or every week. No matter how big or how small. Visiting sites like this one also helps. A few minutes or few hours "talking" to someone else where you can post at any time day or night. Since I never know when I'm up or for how long its nice to be able to come here at anytime to post. 

I love the idea of practicing/learning Spanish with your grandchildren via penpals. That's such a great idea!

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's what I've learned to do after my medical problems hit five and a half years ago. Looking at who knows how many months of being housebound except for doctor appointments. While its really easy to put things off and spend each day doing nothing when you have no schedule and nothing to do the next day either. But not having anything to accomplish or do, while days and months past by is just as frustrating. But also boring. In my case I'm very limited in what I can do. I got the idea from one of Debbie Macomber books where the heroine had cancer as a kid or teen started knitting to give her something to do and something that she could accomplish. I can't sew but I do like writing stories. So I started doing that. It gave me something to do and something to focus on. When I finished I felt like I actually accomplished something. So I moved onto another story. Then started setting goals. Weekly goals, monthly goals and yearly ones. How many can I finish in a month? In a year. Sometimes I meet them and sometimes I don't. But it gives me something to do. As does movie and TV show marathons. And books.  When another year passes at least I've finished this many stories. However long the quarantine lasts. Find something to do. Something every day or every week. No matter how big or how small. Visiting sites like this one also helps. A few minutes or few hours "talking" to someone else where you can post at any time day or night. Since I never know when I'm up or for how long its nice to be able to come here at anytime to post. 

I love the idea of practicing/learning Spanish with your grandchildren via penpals. That's such a great idea!

Anyone interested in learning another language, Duolingo is great-and free.  I agree, a couple of years ago, I had a knee replaced and found myself getting nothing accomplished as the days dragged into weeks and months.  I started making a daily schedule with at least 3 things I wanted to accomplish each day and checking them off.  It got me back on track. 

Start simple, with stuff like showering, washing your hair, putting on a nice outfit (it doesn't matter if no one sees it) and putting on makeup if that's your thing.  Promise to do a load of laundry, write a single 'thank you' note or clean out one kitchen drawer.  You'll be amazed at what you can get done if you just write it down first.

BTW, take a look at your Christmas card list or your address book, electronic or otherwise).  Surely you know someone who would appreciate a card or a note, especially in these unsettled times.  I wrote 3 little cards to elderly friends who I know are alone yesterday.  It took maybe 20 minutes and I know those people are going to appreciate it.  Think of all the people you've lost touch with because you were so busy.  Now, you're not so busy.  Reach out.

• Love 23

I have a list of house things I want to get done during quarantine (painting, deep cleaning, etc.) if my job ever slows down. It's just one fire drill after another right now and I worked pretty much all weekend, too. I really need a break pretty soon. 

Which I know sounds spoiled and bratty--I have a roof over my head, food in my fridge, a paycheck still coming, etc. I'm just so worn out. 

• Love 18

You know what I find fascinating about this whole horde supplies during the pandemic ordeal? People are stock piling toilet paper (and I still don’t understand why), but not toothbrushes! When you get sick, the first thing you’re supposed to do after you recover is replace your toothbrush, and yet no one seems to be buying them.  Kind of makes you hmmmmm.

ETA: That goes double for A/C filters.  I have plenty of both. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

You know what I find fascinating about this whole horde supplies during the pandemic ordeal? People are stock piling toilet paper (and I still don’t understand why), but not toothbrushes! When you get sick, the first thing you’re supposed to do after you recover is replace your toothbrush, and yet no one seems to be buying them.  Kind of makes you hmmmmm.

I always keep extra toothbrushes.  So, I'm set on that. This weekend, in NC, we had toilet paper in the stores, as well as meat, bread, milk and some cleaners, although, there was a limit on the amount of toilet paper you could buy.  I'm going to make one more venture out to get my office mail, deposit check and fill up on gas. After that, I'll be  in for the next few weeks. I don't intend to go into anyone's home or business.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 10

This week should really tell the tale as many more show symptoms of this disease. Every morning I take my temp first thing and so far so good. I know that my husband and I are fortunate to be at home.  I'm seeing a lot of FB posts from people who aren't typically home and boy, are some of them dumb!  Including my relatives. My nephew is posting that it's all overblown and we're all overreacting, blah, blah blah. I had to snooze him!  My heart goes out to the wonderful health care workers, grocery store employees, truck drivers and police and fire crews and anyone else who is out saving lives through their efforts.   

• Love 16