Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

The past two weeks I have not been able to find TP I have enough for about three weeks, but I'm supposed to work from home this coming week, so I know the TP won't last that long. 
My employer has told us we aren't supposed to come into work, we're supposed to work from home this next week, but my job is very paper intensive. I copied and scanned some things on Friday, enough to work on on Monday and Tuesday, but I will have to go back in Wednesday to replenish my work (and maybe steal some TP too LOL).  My employer has never really considered people might have to work from home before now and their list of "must haves" at home means other people are coming into work because their computers don't have the capability for working from home. I may end up going into work on Tuesday if my computer can't handle their old system.
My tiny church is not canceling services (gotta make sure they can pass the collection basket) but I'm not going because 80% of the church is 75 years old or older. If I have this and don't realize it, I don't want to risk giving it to one of the elderly parishioners.

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 16
52 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Just be aware that facial tissue isn’t really good to flush. It doesn’t dissolve like toilet paper. 
https://www.forrestanderson.net/post/is-it-bad-to-flush-facial-tissue-down-the-toilet

Just do like the people in Puerto Rico do, and throw all paper including toilet paper in a covered trash container while you're using tissue.

I think that started because their pipes can't handle even toilet paper (at least that's the case in the boonies where my husband's family lives.)

It took me awhile to get used to , but I would have been mortified if I would have been the one to break the plumbing!

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Just do like the people in Puerto Rico do, and throw all paper including toilet paper in a covered trash container while you're using tissue.

I think that started because their pipes can't handle even toilet paper (at least that's the case in the boonies where my husband's family lives.)

It took me awhile to get used to , but I would have been mortified if I would have been the one to break the plumbing!

Not only there. My best friend grew up in rural north louisiana and they did the same thing. 

• Love 3

Mini Malotte and I went to the salon today, and I'm glad we did - it's a teaching salon, and they may close for two weeks as the high schoolers they have as pupils are going to be out, so since regular school is suspended, so it follows for them.  They are meeting Monday for a final decision.  I did notice it was very quiet in there, not a lot of clients, or maybe a steady amount but not as busy as it usually is.  I only saw two of the regulars in there that I encounter when I make a Saturday visit , the usual crowd of older gals getting their roller sets done were nowhere to be seen, though my student said a couple were in earlier than us.  

Didn't stop at any stores today, parking lots were full up in the places we drove by.  Husband did make a stop at one and picked up a couple of items, said it was busy but not as bad as Friday.  I think people may calm down mid week some, but it's also gonna depend on how many new cases/deaths we see reported in the news.

Edited by CherryMalotte
ugh, missing stuff
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, sixlets said:

I went grocery shopping this morning.  They only had two lanes open, and each was about 4-6 people deep.  I got a lot more random things than I normally do, but I wouldn't say I overdid it.  Our closest Target still had TP, paper towels, and anti-bacterial wipes, which was limited to one per customer.  I managed to get to the library, which was busier than I expected.  We also hit up one of the local diners for an early lunch.

The strangest shopping cart I saw today was from the grocery store.  An older gentleman had a head of lettuce or cabbage, 3 packs of meat (one looked like a beef roast), and 10-12 two-liter bottles of Coke.  I had so many questions 🧐

My guess would be that it was corned beef (or a brisket to make it with), which is on sale for next to nothing at a lot of places this week, and cabbage. I actually picked up two packs of corned beef on impulse today when I had to go out on a last minute shopping trip. Forgot the cabbage, though....That's OK, The corned beef is in the freezer next to the other months and months worth of food, and I'll pick up some cabbage next time I get out.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just received a letter from my church telling everyone to stay home until further notice.  The church will be open if you really, really feel like you need to come, but please don't.  Do Morning Prayer at home instead.  Strange times.

• Love 7

I completely forgot about the corned beef and cabbage meal.  That makes more sense now.  Jury is still out on the Coke though.  

For those that can't find TP, just take a cue from Jessa and collect the tissues on the top of your dresser.  The Duggars have so much wisdom to offer to the rest of us.  It's quite uplifting when you think about it.😏

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I went out yesterday on behalf of my parents and my in laws. Couldn't get bleach wipes or bleach for my mom, so pulled some from our stash (we buy them in bulk usually so we can keep a container in each bathroom and the kitchen). Kind of worried because when I started buying extras of things, I bought with my family of 4 in mind and now it seems I should have planned for 8 to cover them as well. 

Our church has cancelled services until April. They're going to do service through Facebook live so people can still worship at home. 

We're staying put for the next week for spring break and I'm hoping our school extends break by a couple of weeks since so many families and teachers went on vacation. They need the 2 week time after to (hopefully) stay home and monitor for any symptoms. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

How empty are your local fast food places? The ones near me are almost empty. 

Restaurants and the like are still busy. I find my generation is heavily reliant on take away. Hellish commutes don't make it easier. 

Everything is shut down now. Private businesses are deciding whether or not to operate. I'm afraid that some of the lovely local businesses I go to will go under. It isn't like landlords are going to be all that forgiving. 😒 I'm still making the decision whether or not to keep going to the gym. It is a small family run business. They've cut class sizes to do social distancing and are sanitizing all equipment. Any equipment that cannot withstand industrial cleaners has been removed. It still feels a bit irresponsible to the community at large but going to the gym is how I keep things feeling "normal". 

I'm still working out of the office. Employees are expected to be at the schools but I figure it will only be long enough for classes to fully transition to online only methods and move out the few students living on campus. I was in today doing some work and one of my newer colleagues asked for advice on what to do with her stuff. I was blunt and said if she had the time and wasn't rushing, pack up everything. Worst case scenario is this goes to September.

I am trying hard not to panic. It is being repressed. So I look cool as a cucumber but in reality my entire body aches, my TMJ has returned, and I definitely have some sort of issue with my ears. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, On the Bias said:

I live in Barcelona.  By order of the central government, the only establishments in the entire country that are open to the general public are food stores and pharmacies.  No one is to be on the streets except to go to work, to buy food or medical supplies, or to provide essential services.  Doctors and nurses who have retired within the last 15 years may be called back into service (to give phone consults, I presume).  A council of government ministers is empowered to issue further orders as necessary.  

Last night at 10.00 everyone threw open their windows and applauded to show appreciation for health care workers.  As I stood on my balcony applauding into the night, I looked over at the people applauding across the street and said to Best Beloved, “There’s no traffic noise from down below any more.  Within a week we’ll be chatting with those people across the street.  Within two weeks, we’ll be friends.”

@On the Bias, that is a very poignant story. Thank you for sharing.

• Love 11

@BetyBee, thanks!  We live in interesting times.  Right now from my bedroom window I can see a couple on a nearby rooftop.  They’ve brought up beach chairs and are sunning themselves.

At the risk of straying into politics, I will say that I’m very glad to be living in a country with a robust national health service.   I’m frantic with worry for friends and family in the U.S.

• Love 1

@On the Bias, I saw news articles reporting that lovely gesture in several Spanish cities. Classy! 

So, I'm going to tell a story on myself. I'm no germaphobe, crazy-cleaning fanatic, but neither am I a dirty slob. These days I'm more conscious of cleanliness, of course. I've always been a frequent hand-washer. Ever since they started appearing in stores, I've used those sanitizing wipes on the handles - and other surfaces -  of shopping carts. I clean my mobile phone and its case every few days. Etcetera.

I drive my car a lot. I keep it clean, thanks to a conveniently located car wash and a monthly pass. But. Yesterday it dawned on me that I DID NOT KNOW when I had last cleaned the steering wheel, or the other surfaces I touch all the time in that car. I went out to the car with spray cleaner and a spotless white cleaning cloth, and worked over the steering wheel, shift lever knob, and other frequently touched things (wiper and lights levers, window buttons, inside door handle). OMG. The grime that came off on that white cloth was - impressive. 

So yeah. There I was, feeling all good that I was Ms. Diligent Handwasher. And yet I was obliviously taking my nice clean hands - and using them to drive that petri dish. Oy.

(I realize that you can't get your car into some super sterile condition. But geez, it seems that you're better off if you frequently clean the surfaces you touch most often.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 17

3 of my grandchildren were supposed to be doing online school work during the shutdown. Now it is not happening because of IEPs. Basically, if every student can’t learn in that format, then no students can be expected to.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Just be aware that facial tissue isn’t really good to flush. It doesn’t dissolve like toilet paper. 
https://www.forrestanderson.net/post/is-it-bad-to-flush-facial-tissue-down-the-toilet

Don't know if this has been suggested (think it has) but you can also use flushable baby wipes or the adult version of flushable wipes. They are probably becoming hot ticket items as well but I thought I would suggest them anyway. 

My Dollar General store used to carry their brand of the flushable baby wipes but not sure if they still do.  I use the Walmart brand of the adult flushable wipes & find they are much better quality (and cheaper) than the more expensive Cottonelle brand. The Cottonelle ones rip apart trying to get them out of the pack. Other people have had same problem according to their reviews so it isn't a one time thing.  I have had no problems with the Walmart brand & ordered a few extra packs a few weeks ago in preparation.  

Mr. Barb & I were discussing this morning of what would have happened with the already toilet paper shortage if the Corona virus had caused diarrhea?  

Even though it's for a bad situation,  I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts of how they are handling things especially since we all are in different areas of the world. I've passed on a lot of our Corona related conversations to Mr. Barb and Son of Barb including updates from @crazy8s regarding her quarantined family members.   BTW,  any new updates on them? 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

3 of my grandchildren were supposed to be doing online school work during the shutdown. Now it is not happening because of IEPs. Basically, if every student can’t learn in that format, then no students can be expected to.

So what you are saying is your grandchildren cannot even do their online work now?

5 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

So what you are saying is your grandchildren cannot even do their online work now?

There is no online in place. In a matter of days, it went from being told it was being set up, to not happening at all.

20 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Read on Twitter: babies who are born in 12/2020 will be called coronials 

And in 2023, they'll all be Quaranteens.

Ohio's governor, a real hero, IMO, has announced all bars and restaurants in Ohio are closing at 9 tonight and won't reopen until he says so.  Carryout and delivery are fine.

Apparently, many younger folks seem to think the virus is not a problem for them and the bars around Ohio were jammed with crowds last night.  And, many, many people texted him and sent him pics.  I actually have a middle aged sister, a professional with a graduate degree, whose been out several nights in the past week.  A lot of people are not getting the message.

• Love 12

Asa just closed schools in Arkansas, starting Tuesday with Monday as an optional day. Seems like a lot of districts are cancelling for Monday too. 

Duggar trivia: Arkansas governor Asa Hutchison's brother was JB's opponent in that primary where he got clobbered. 

• Love 5

I had hernia surgery on March 4th, at a hospital that had our state's first coronavirus case in quarantine there at the same time. I was there for three days and have had one visit since for a followup appointment. It's sure worked out time-wise for me to already have had to stay home for a few weeks for recovery. It's suddenly a different world out there!

I can't find specifics for my situation. I have only left the house for a total of two hours since coming home on March 7th. I have things delivered but there's no direct contact with delivery people. Since I live alone and am currently not having daily contact outside my apartment, do I still need to wash my hands all the time and not touch my face? Or sanitize things in my apartment, which is already clean overall? The home health nurse is the only person who comes inside.

I actually was recently in Italy--I live in the U.S.--but that was back in mid-January so I've been cleared by medical staff as being well past the incubation period.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

There is no online in place. In a matter of days, it went from being told it was being set up, to not happening at all.

That sounds like my employer.   We have four different teams. After telling everyone they are supposed to work from home, they decided the system can't handle it. So now each team can access everything one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon.  But we're still expected to work 8 hours a day.  I'm going to go in on Tuesday because I think risking being around people will be less stressful than trying to deal with their slow system. 

14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Schools are still open in NY. 

NC Governor made executive order forbidding any gathering of more than 100 people, including public schools yesterday. All schools, colleges, etc closed, online classes only. Most churches closed, concerts, festivals....all cancelled, except stores and businesses can open. All company employees working from home if possible. Encouraged to stay 6 feet from people.

Yesterday, I did that while shopping and found everything I wanted. Plenty of toilet paper and I even found several boxes of alcohol swabs on a top shelf! I use them for my diabetic supplies, but they can be used as hand sanitizer too, in a pinch. 

I have to get some paperwork signed for my business. Trying to figure the safest way to do it. Thinking of meeting in a county with no confirmed cases.  I don’t mind driving a hundred miles extra to avoid infected counties. I don’t intend to go to my office, as it’s in the highest case county. 

I have decided to stay calm though. I hope for the best, but I have peace regardless.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Which brings to mind. What about jails and prisons. Can’t close them. Can’t isolate. Can’t invoke social distancing. Can’t guard remotely. 

I just spoke with a friend who's daughter is a prison guard here in Texas. No visitors and when she goes to work tomorrow she stays. They have a separate section where she can sleep. How long this will last I do not know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Our trip to the store was rather uneventful. No paper goods or meat (other than corned beef and roasts... I picked up one of the latter) and strange shortages and surpluses of produce. I will hit up a local butcher tomorrow to try and procure ground beef and chicken. Hopefully, they'll get a Monday shipment. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Worldwide pandemic of COVID-19, and yet I haven’t heard of any cases in Russia...things that make you go hmmmm 

It's there and has been for weeks. It's just not being reported over here. And it wouldn't surprise me if the Russians were possibly underreporting to save face in much the same way that I'm sure whatever went down in China was underreported. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14

Gov Baker just closed school for 3 weeks. And delivery only for restaurants. No groups over 25. And an hour later 14 year old daughter asks to see her friend this week. It's called social isolation. The typical teenage sigh, Mooooom, and then stomp up the stairs. 

• Love 10

I hope anyone who has family in nursing homes is able to teach them how to use FaceTime on the phone. It's a reminder to me to try and keep up with technology in case I'm isolated. I hate facetime as I hate the way I look on screen (or pictures), but I haven't been able to see my 2.5 year old granddaughter so I'm giving it a try this week.

• Love 11

It's so funny, because this entire week parents in my city were bitching on FB about schools not being closed and the district not taking children's health seriously. So today, the governor announces the closure and everyone's complaining about not having childcare and making up days during the summer. I'm not always a fan of how our local government operates, but sometimes they can't win no matter what they do. 

• Love 16
44 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My journalist daughter just posted this on Facebook (and let me tell you she never, and I mean NEVER, gets publicly "political" in any way, shape, or form..ever...plus, they are very, very conservative)

“EVERYTHING WE DO BEFORE A PANDEMIC WILL SEEM ALARMIST. EVERYTHING WE DO AFTER WILL SEEM INADEQUATE”
                                            --Michael Leavitt

That quote really got to me today. I know there is a lot of information coming out about COVID-19 and I have not posted too much about this, because I didn't want to add to the panic or confusion.

But the fact of the matter is that I do live with an ICU  Hospitalist physician who is also a Senior Vice President of Hospital Medicine for a Hospital Staffing company which manages thousands of doctors around the country.

Plus, I am a trained broadcast journalist who tries very hard to fact check everything I share. With that in mind, I ask you to weigh what I am about to say with at least slightly higher consideration than the average internet meme going around. 

Based on days of analysis by my beloved, who gets multiple, insider-only, medical briefings a day, here's my bottom line request:

STAY HOME!!  Save lives. As much as you are itching to get out, make the commitment to stay away from people that reside outside your home as much as possible. And if you absolutely must see others, stay at least 6 feet away from each other at all times 

A few days ago I wouldn't have said this. I even went to the grocery store and the laundromat. But it seems to me that it is just not worth the risk now. 

Here's an article my husband, Dr. ____ ______ shared with me today. It's the best article I've seen making the case for social distancing. It may drive you crazy to stay home, in close quarters with your family, but the alternative will undoubtedly cost lives. 

**stepping off soapbox now**

I hope we can flatten the curve enough to manage what is about to hit us. Praying that you and your beloved family and friends stay healthy and safe during these trying times.

https://www.howardluksmd.com/sports-medicine/covid-19-update-3-14-2020-concerned-physicians-unite/

(I hope I'm not going too far in sharing this....

I'm just worried about everyone.««« this last part is from me, "Chi" and not my daughter,btw.)❤

Yup!!  We have a supermarket two blocks away.  We get the morning newspaper there.  I have finally convinced my 77 year old husband that the newspaper is now a want rather than a need.  Despite no nearby cases ..... yet.  

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It's so funny, because this entire week parents in my city were bitching on FB about schools not being closed and the district not taking children's health seriously. So today, the governor announces the closure and everyone's complaining about not having childcare and making up days during the summer. I'm not always a fan of how our local government operates, but sometimes they can't win no matter what they do. 

Our library has suspended programming, and we're probably going to be shut down as soon as we get the okay. Cue bitching from both sides. 

• Love 7

Mayor de Blasio announced earlier this evening that the NYC schools will be closed until ‘at least’ 4/20.

Staff reports on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week to plan logistics for at home learning and meal distribution.  

• Love 5