Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

My grands who live in the (western) Chicago suburbs have just been told that as of today their schools are being closed. My grands who live in Chicago proper are still going so far...but there are major rumblings among parents and teacher who want them closed (my daughter is both a Chicago teacher and a Chicago students' parent.)

PS..I thought this was hilarious:

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

My grands who live in the (western) Chicago suburbs have just been told that as of today their schools are being closed. My grands who live in Chicago proper are still going so far...but there are major rumblings among parents and teacher who want them closed (my daughter is both a Chicago teacher and a Chicago students' parent.)

Yeah I’m in chicago and take the red line to work. I’m staying off public transit for the time being. My mom is picking me up today. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The answer is simple: it never was a Dem hoax or fake news.

but so many people still believe that it is.

my mom and mother in law are now afraid to take medications that may have been made in china and are contaminated. thanks tucker carlson.

i asked them both so what is your choice? can you get the meds elsewhere that you think are made in some "safe place" or are you going to just stop taking meds for high blood pressure etc.  now they are both mad at me - but i think still taking their meds

• Love 7

i will add that the grocery store was RIDICULOUS!  i did wer a mask at the pharmacy but it is connected to a medical building with sick folks. this lung-compromised gal is sitting put at home for the foreseeable future unless i go for a drive alone in my car.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

That woman’s rant is a marvel. Articulate, perfectly executed, spot on and smarter than hell.

Can we swap out Pence for her?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

but so many people still believe that it is.

my mom and mother in law are now afraid to take medications that may have been made in china and are contaminated. thanks tucker carlson.

i asked them both so what is your choice? can you get the meds elsewhere that you think are made in some "safe place" or are you going to just stop taking meds for high blood pressure etc.  now they are both mad at me - but i think still taking their meds

If they stop taking their meds it will make them more likely to have severe outcomes of C-19 if they contract it...hypertension in particular has been mentioned.

Carlson should be ashamed of himself.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

sister in law at Miramar marine base from the Grand Princess says they can get no facial tissue, no laundry service, no clean towels, hand towels or hand sanitizer.

they have a number to call about meds and no one answers

That is horrifying!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

If they stop taking their meds it will make them more likely to have severe outcomes of C-19 if they contract it...hypertension in particular has been mentioned.

Carlson should be ashamed of himself.

i knew they really wouldn't stop the meds - they go off on rants and I was in no mood for it today and called them on it.

carlson had some conspiracy thing about meds from china on last night. getting us dependant on the meds they produce and then they will cut off supply or they may be contaminated blah blah blah

13 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

That is horrifying!

I have called all of Michigan's US Senators and Reps on their behalf today trying to help

• Love 9

My son in Germany just got this:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ON DODEA-EUROPE SCHOOLS

The military communities throughout Europe continue to work closely with their host nation partners on the evolving COVID-19 spread, closely monitoring the situation and are taking measures that will help mitigate the spread of the virus. One of the most important service partners involved in these discussions has been the leadership of the DoDEA school system.

To that end, over the past few days, and especially the past 48 hours, the USAREUR Commander has decided that DoDEA schools in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands will be closed beginning Monday, March 16. 

Garrison Commanders will make the decisions locally about Child and Youth Services.

Our priority remains the health and safety of our personnel and their family members, and we will continue to everything we can to mitigate the spread of the virus.

(My DIL will now be homeschooling 4 kids under 9 and is FREAKING out)

Edited to add..Illinois governor just closed ALL schools, so now my Chicago grands are out too.

And the Illinois diocese(?) {my husband is the Catholic one } just cancelled all public Masses, which really relieves me, because he goes to church daily and I have COPD (which is so not fair, because I've never smoked a day in my life.) I was worrying he was going to bring it home to me. (I need to go read a good book and stop obsessing now)😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

sister in law at Miramar marine base from the Grand Princess says they can get no facial tissue, no laundry service, no clean towels, hand towels or hand sanitizer.

they have a number to call about meds and no one answers

No hand sanitizer anywhere. Not sure what we are expected to do.

• Love 1
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

No hand sanitizer anywhere. Not sure what we are expected to do.

funny thing we now have $18,000 worth of hand sanitizing wipes on our credit card.

mrcrazy is a facilities person responsible for 180 locations of a national company and they put him in change of procuring the hand sanitizing wipes yesterday. he found a place you could buy by the pallet, but you had to pick up. they were not in the proper vendor system for payment so it's on our card. we will get a deposit in our acct by monday to pay it.

i asked if he could at least bring one container home.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

I just saw this today and I like it a lot. #catteningthecurve - and I'm doing my bit to make the lazy cat happen for this mess.

13354657_ScreenShot2020-03-13at5_49_58PM.png.83b523c68ab0f2416a4d769260065510.png

Our state, Colorado, experienced its first death of a COVID 19 patient today. In today's news, around here (Denver) lots of performing arts venues are shutting down, and public libraries. I believe these closings will help flatten the curve. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8

My sister lives in Colorado too. She's 7 years older than me , so she's very much in the age group that has to worry. She's still convinced the whole thing is a hoax.

I can't convince her otherwise...so I just gave up. I'm sure she'll be at her mega church all day Sunday with tons of other people.

I tried.

• Love 2

I have a cousin who is a retired nurse and pushing 60 and swimming in health problems who thinks it is a hoax. I can't believe what a dumbass she is. She's got plans to go to Atlantic City to gamble, come hell or high water. 🙄

Fortunately, it seems like most of the older folks in my family who would be very vulnerable are taking it seriously. 

• Love 12

Since the son is sick, we are dropping out of the gym, and Mr. lookeyloo's Sunday gaming group.  Did I already post this? Can't remember. Anyway, we are doing nothing in groups and trying to stay away from grocery stores in busy hours.  but, what is the deal with the run on toilet paper? Honestly!  We have plenty and also plenty of food, but, is this really the apocalypse?  I am "elderly", hate to say it, but 76 and I don't think I have any serious underlying health issues but a leaky heart valve with no symptoms, but, because of the son we are being extra careful.  Have to postpone trip to see other son and grands in WA State which is scheduled for April.  I am hoping we all get through this in one piece so to speak

• Love 13

Public schools in my city finally shut down as of 6p.m. today. Thankfully, they've set up 12 schools where you can pick up a 3 day supply of breakfasts and lunches. They hope to reopen on 4/6.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Public schools in my city finally shut down as of 6p.m. today. Thankfully, they've set up 12 schools where you can pick up a 3 day supply of breakfasts and lunches. They hope to reopen on 4/6.

Our schools are going to close on Tuesday, with Monday being open mostly to receive tons of info regarding meals and other learning resources.  Internet classes are not realistic for many schools but hopefully the younger students will be OK as for food.

But next ...... will day care centers have to close? 

• Love 8

I feel horrible for even thinking this, but because of the virus, I'm grateful my dad is no longer living.  He had severe COPD, with 100% O2 full time, in addition to heart issues (bypass, stents, 2 heart attacks with #1 at 46 years of age).  My mom has been retired since December from working in a pharmacy, and she's healthy save for high cholesterol and a bulging disc.  If she was still working, and he was alive, I truly believe this would have killed him.  I'm grateful the inlaws are healthy, and my 90-year-old grandmother-in-law never leaves her house since she doesn't have a car.

Mr. Six left work at midnight and was home at 1220am this morning.  He was back up at 530am and left at 600am.  The job went out, and he was told to go home at 400pm.  I need to run to the grocery store tomorrow, but we don't need the items that people seem to be stockpiling.  We'll be good, and the Six Family kitties are good to go.  One small silver lining, it's not bitterly cold for an overwhelming majority of the country.  We hit 73 in Baltimore today, and Sunday/Monday are our chilliest days at 55.  I do have a previously scheduled doctor's appointment Monday, and I was informed today that if I had symptoms of any affliction, I would have to be switched to a televisit.  It's just my quarterly med check up, and I'm fine.  Baltimore County Public Libraries are closing the 16th-27th.  I'm definitely heading to one of our branches to stock up on some more books.  I've read 11 so far this year (if anyone is looking for recs, please feel free to ask.  I do only read nonfiction though).  And lastly, I'm beyond grateful that even though I have health issues, none compromise my immune system. Because of the EDS diagnosis, I need to get x-rays of both hands & 2 MRIs of my spine, but those are getting postponed.  I'm not taking any unnecessary chances.

Please keep up with posing this weekend to let us know you're ok.  I hope you & your families come out of this unscathed.  Take care ♥

• Love 17

My husband will be off work, since he's a school bus driver.  Thanks a lot coronavirus.  Though this is a ripe opportunity for him to finish a few things around the homestead.

I can't even imagine how it is for some poor single parent that now has to scramble to find child care for their children who won't be in school, and pay for it.  That's who I feel sorry for, along with people that have compromised systems due to illness or age.    

• Love 22

I actually need to run to the store tomorrow but I'm debating waiting until later when things are hopefully replenished. I'm hopeful my job will switch to remote next week but it will depend on how much worse it gets (our CEO is an old school hard ass who thinks working from home will make productivity plummet. If people get sick because he refused to let us work remotely, I'll be furious.). I actually get more done at home than the office because there are fewer people distracting me. 

• Love 11

I went to the store tonight it’s pretty bare. Only liver and corned beef left. I got hotdogs, spam and chili. No water of any kind, rice, beans, eggs, fish etc. obviously no napkins, toilet paper or paper towels. No cleaning supplies. 

I had an elderly lady try to tell that all these people who are self-isolating because they're afraid of getting the Corona virus are going to get sick anyway. I gave her a very shocked look and she kind of backtracked that they might not get the Corona virus, but they're going to suffer from depression. Her next comment started with "They say on Fox News..." but I was too busy trying to keep my eyes from rolling out of their sockets to listen, so I have no idea what they say on Fox News.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

I had good news and bad news. Good is that both my sons offered to do any grocery shopping or errands we needed. Bad news is it's because I'm in the "fragile" age group. I'm 64 and still feel young! I even babysit my twin 14 month old grandsons for one of them.

It's going to be interesting. Son I babysit for will be working from home for 3 weeks so my hours will be shorter since I won't have to be there for their commute time. My DIL works for a major health system and is part of the team that gets supplies; specifically surgical. She has been swamped with finding suppliers of masks, gowns, sanitizer.

I did go out yesterday just to get some normal shopping done and I found it fascinating to see what people were buying. I don't get the bottled water as we have fine tap water. I also saw someone buying about a year's worth of coffee. What have you all seen that struck you as odd? (besides toilet paper!)

• Love 7
7 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I had good news and bad news. Good is that both my sons offered to do any grocery shopping or errands we needed. Bad news is it's because I'm in the "fragile" age group. I'm 64 and still feel young! I even babysit my twin 14 month old grandsons for one of them.

It's going to be interesting. Son I babysit for will be working from home for 3 weeks so my hours will be shorter since I won't have to be there for their commute time. My DIL works for a major health system and is part of the team that gets supplies; specifically surgical. She has been swamped with finding suppliers of masks, gowns, sanitizer.

I did go out yesterday just to get some normal shopping done and I found it fascinating to see what people were buying. I don't get the bottled water as we have fine tap water. I also saw someone buying about a year's worth of coffee. What have you all seen that struck you as odd? (besides toilet paper!)

I have 10 month old twin granddaughters, RealityFan26!  We're the same age and I find it hard to chase both of them when I'm on my own, so good on you!  I offered to watch my 11 yo in town granddaughter when the schools closed and my daughter said I better not because of my age group. I was kind of shocked, but she's right! I was spending most of my worries on my elderly Mom. Though my husband and I are social distancing (we kind of do that anyway, lol), I don't remember to think of myself as older! We picked up a few things yesterday and I didn't see anyone buying anything strange, but I did see people buying a lot of whatever! I sanitized my cart handle, which I don't usually do and used the anti-bacterial on the way out. I noticed that the cashier was sanitizing her hands between customers. As I stood in line, I thought about buying a gift card and giving it to her, since I worry that she'll be laid off soon if the stores close. But then I figured that they're probably not allowed to accept gifts. I'm really concerned about employees everywhere and especially about small businesses. 

Big box stores are making a killing now though. Some of the execs on the presidential news conference yesterday seemed positively gleeful.  I'd have preferred to hear from doctors and health experts rather than CEOs. Also the hand shaking and microphone touching was insane!  I think it's quite likely that Trump has the virus. Even Justin Trudeau refuses to be tested. The world is currently insane!

I remember when Katrina happened. On the old TWOP board, we were permitted to discuss it on some soap (I think it was a soap opera thread) chat I didn't even follow. It was such a relief to be able to discuss our horror that Americans were not being helped as they drowned in their homes. I'm no longer surprised that we are on our own. I cannot believe the times in which we are living. But it is our reality. Thank heavens for being able to talk things over and to know that we are all in the same boat. 

Peace and health to all of you. Keep posting!  It's a needed lifeline. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

I thought about posting that. What a dick. And stupid to boot:

“But I’m not looking to be in a situation where I make the front page of the news for being that guy who hoarded 20,000 bottles of sanitizer that I’m selling for 20 times what they cost me.”

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

That is reprehensible!  He is "that guy".  People are all over my news feed bitching about their neighbors buying toilet paper and the real culprits are people like him.

Edited by BetyBee
I'm sick of hearing about hand sanitizer &toilet paper!
  • Love 10

I received an email from the management of the apartment complex I live in. They said because of the pandemic they would be cleaning the public spaces more often, the club room and kitchen would be closed, no gatherings would be allowed. They also said the staff will be wearing masks and gloves, this does no good but they probably think it will make people feel safe. All of that is good but included in that is any repair request will take longer to be scheduled. Now I do not understand why they would delay repairs. We were given no time line are they going to wait till the crisis is over? Of course I received this today and no one will be in the office till Monday.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

What have you all seen that struck you as odd? (besides toilet paper!)

I went out this morning to get a few things I needed (milk, eggs, bananas, etc.) and I saw one person whose shopping cart was filled to the brim with six and eights packs of soda bottles. In another's cart, I counted a dozen half gallon jugs of milk (there may have been another six in the cart). All I could think was "what do you do with so much milk and where the hell do you keep it?"

• Love 9
10 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Here are some of the odd  things I've come across:

My friend was at BJs the other evening & a lady passed her whose cart was filled up with a huge amount of meat (along with water & toilet paper.)  She thought it had to be a hundred pounds of meat but I'm sure it was more. Hopefully the lady has an empty freezer to put it in. Maybe she was taking orders for her neighborhood. 

They did a segment on one of the talk shows about a 35 year old gal who is having some of her eggs frozen just in case she gets the virus & it would somehow affect her fertility.  They interviewed a  doctor at an IVF facility & he said they are getting a lot of inquiries about freezing.  He added that people need to realize it's an involved procedure & not cheap. 

BTW, I mentioned the other day that vendors were still selling (natural) hand sanitizers on Etsy.  I checked this morning & it looks like Etsy has shut down the sale of any hand sanitizer. I didn't read through the entire statement but it was basically because they couldn't verify if the sanitizers would protect against the Corona virus. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

This is insane. We can’t find toilet paper anywhere. We had ordered some online last week that was supposed to show up yesterday so we didn’t pick up any extra when it was available in a few stores. Now our online order is delayed at least a week. My husband went to several stores this morning but they are all out. We only have a few rolls left at home. Having cancer, I don’t want him to keep exposing himself to crowds trying to find it and then bringing germs home to me. I’m sure we can get some from friends to get us through but this is still crazy. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Do they have boxes of facial tissue? If worse comes to worse, you can always use that.

I just found out that is what he did pick up. That should help. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Really dumb to share his pic and name. His neighbors are going to rob him. 

i think since he has been banned from selling on amazon and ebay he is hoping having his name and town known will help people find him so he can sell the stuff

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

i think since he has been banned from selling on amazon and ebay he is hoping having his name and town known will help people find him so he can sell the stuff

A mob with pitchforks will steal all the stuff and burn down his house. 

• LOL 10

Along with others, I really don't get the panic over toilet paper. We just happened to get some at BJ's last week because we were down to about a half-dozen rolls. There was still plenty in the stores then, so we picked up our typical 36-roll multi-pack. I figure we're good for at least six months. And if the crisis is not over by then, I'm sure that more TP will be in stock by then given that so many people have stockpiled enough for a nuclear apocalypse.

I have a couple of extra containers of hand-sanitizer, most of a three-pack of Clorox clean-up which I got a few weeks ago, and plenty of various soap/body-wash, because we generally get those things at BJ's as well, and I'm sure I have enough to last a good couple of months - probably over a year with the body-wash, because I haven't finished up the last of the old stuff yet. 

Maybe this whole thing will be good incentive for us to use some of the stuff in our freezers, as they are all full to bursting (I tend to freeze leftovers, or buy fresh stuff to freeze when it's on sale, plus all the stuff from our vegetable gardens. I still end up buying more when I can't be bothered to dig through the freezers or defrost things ahead of time, though. I know they say to use things within a few months, but with food-saver bags, we've honestly had things that were frozen for two or three years without noticing any real decline in quality. At any rate, we have the side of an old side-by-side freezer and  a 5' tall standing freezer in the basement, a big chest freezer in the garage, and the bottom freezer of our refrigerator in the kitchen all full, so we probably have enough food that we could eat for months without leaving the house if we had to!

• Love 13
3 hours ago, kokapetl said:

A mob with pitchforks will steal all the stuff and burn down his house. 

Yep. And if he tried to sell it in a Walmart parking lot people would rob him. What an asshole. 

Didn’t find any toilet paper or even Kleenex. Got bounty guess will use that for toilet paper. And baby wipes. Limit 1 gallon of water or 1 case of water. Limit 1 bounty.  No baby food left either. 

• Useful 1

I can actually understand things like baby food, cold meds, and even snacks and cereal. As of yesterday, schools here will be closed until after Easter so parents are having to stock up on short notice.  But the toilet paper has me baffled.  And did people not use bleach and hand soap before?  It’s a serious situation but some are being ridiculous. Do you have space to store all that food? If you never cook, and don’t know how to cook, what are you doing with that cart full of meat?

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, crazy8s said:

He should be giving it away for free to those who truly need it. He is garbage.

• Love 15

I went grocery shopping this morning.  They only had two lanes open, and each was about 4-6 people deep.  I got a lot more random things than I normally do, but I wouldn't say I overdid it.  Our closest Target still had TP, paper towels, and anti-bacterial wipes, which was limited to one per customer.  I managed to get to the library, which was busier than I expected.  We also hit up one of the local diners for an early lunch.

The strangest shopping cart I saw today was from the grocery store.  An older gentleman had a head of lettuce or cabbage, 3 packs of meat (one looked like a beef roast), and 10-12 two-liter bottles of Coke.  I had so many questions 🧐

• LOL 7

This funny video I linked below makes  me wish my husband liked to watch the same kind of trashy train wreck tv show I do. Since he's staying home now from church and resale shops we could watch so much together..but nope..just old timey westerns for him. (too anti native American for me now)

That's why I like these forums so much..other people who watch the same *carp* I do to snark with! 😂

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2348159365486475&id=1441658079469946&d=null&vh=e

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1