Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Well, the corona virus has officially been diagnosed In employees at my company. Not in my immediate office, but it’s possible that the employee was in contact with people in my office; it’s a multi-building campus, though, so maybe not. I suspect that we might be instructed to work from home the rest of the month. The flu is also going around, so I would not be surprised to only see a few people on my floor tomorrow. 

What state are you in (if you don't mind saying.)

Here in Illinois we just got  our 5th case, and this one came though O'Hare Airport, where my daughter works as a gate agent. Now it's getting too dang close for comfort.  But the guy came from Italy, and she doesn't work international flights. :::::whew:::::

(but somebody else's kid does.)

PS the guy is only in his 20's, not elderly...

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 11

Nysha I’ve been thinking of you, I’m glad you finally have some semblance of closure. I hope you can move forward 🌻

Coronavirus, those disinfectant wipes won’t help, unless they use a bleach solution 

• Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, louannems said:

70 cases in my area. (Seattle area).  And 11 deaths. No store has hand sanitizer, nor rubbing alcohol or aloe vera gel, after the local TV said the recipe for homemade.

If any of you run out of bars of soap to wash your hands, just let me know..I have enough for everybody in here for weeks and weeks...and weeks.

We didn't raid the stores...my husband grew up extremely poor and likes to hoard things he finds, when he can get them on clearance.

Or in this case..I think he got a  couple of cases of bar soap from some other old geezer's estate sale...so...yay?

I have a bunch of dead guy's soap. I think some of it isn't even made anymore.😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 18
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

What state are you in (if you don't mind saying.)

Here in Illinois we just got  our 5th case, and this one came though O'Hare Airport, where my daughter works as a gate agent. Now it's getting too dang close for comfort.  But the guy came from Italy, and she doesn't work international flights. :::::whew:::::

(but somebody else's kid does.)

PS the guy is only in his 20's, not elderly...

@ChiCricket, I'm on one of the coasts.  I hope your daughter and her coworkers (and all airport employees) are given plenty of gloves and hand sanitizer!

No news crews in front of my building this morning, which is good. I'm so curious to see how many people are in the office today. I'm in because I have a few hands on tasks that I need to do. I was already planning on working from home next week. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

If any of you run out of bars of soap to wash your hands, just let me know..I have enough for everybody in here for weeks and weeks...and weeks.

We didn't raid the stores...my husband grew up extremely poor and likes to hoard things he finds on clearance.

Or in this case..I think he got a  couple of cases of bar soap from some other old geezer's estate sale...so...yay?

We are pretty good in the soap inventory as well.  

I'm still chuckling about the soap from the "old geezer's estate sale."  You just never know what you'll find at a sale do you? 

Did anyone else see the picture of a musician (not sure who it was) that flew back from Asia to the US?  He was wearing a full haz-mat suit along with a respirator that looks like the kind they use when removing asbestos.   He said it was well worth it even though it was a 12 hour flight.  I was thinking that 6 months ago we would have thought he was nuts but now, not so much. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m in NY. 1 guy got 9 sick and 1000! were asked to self quarantine 

But I saw a TV interview with President Trump where he said people could still go to work with the virus. /s

11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

We didn't raid the stores...my husband grew up extremely poor and likes to hoard things he finds, when he can get them on clearance.

If you decide not to use that soap, a lot of old, discontinued soap sells for really really great prices on eBay. 🙂. People buy EVERYTHING!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/4/2020 at 9:20 AM, Jeeves said:

Okay, there's nothing funny about a disease, including the Corona virus.

But seeing the shelves of our supermarkets swept clean of disinfecting wipes, and hearing that there's been a run on those surgical masks (that DO NOT prevent you from catching the virus especially since so many people ignorantly don't even wear them correctly)? I found this meme I found on FB to be a lone voice of common sense in a wilderness of nutzo nonsense:

2044565628_coronoawash.thumb.jpg.dc8821014289b07c5dc8c98631265859.jpg

Yes. Wash your hands, keep them away from your face, cover your coughs and sneezes. And leave the masks for those who really need them. A little common sense would be welcome about now. 

Just to emphasize, I really feel for people with health conditions that would make them extra vulnerable to this, or any, infectious disease. Which is why I get irritated with hysterical nonsense about it. That cr*p doesn't help anyone!

I was supposed to go to a conference next week in Atlanta and it is attended by well over 1000 people from universities from all over the world.  I spoke to my Dr. and he said not to go (I have MS).  The conference has not been canceled yet but the hotel (Marriott) has said they have had a ton of cancellations.  It seems really irresponsible to still have it but I expect things to change the closer they get.  My coworkers are also canceling.  I am really worried about students coming back from Spring Break the 1st week of April.  I expect major cooties.

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 7
On 3/4/2020 at 7:50 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I was just on the Sister Wives forum, and they were having a discussion on ways to prevent contact with various viruses and bacteria.  Wiping the shopping cart handle was mentioned.  I posted about the shopping cart handle covers that I have found on Etsy.  Heavy cloth with velcro closure.  I have been using mine for several weeks--before this latest scare--because so many stores around here either don't provide wipes, or the container is empty, and I know they don't wash the carts.  So far I like them.  Only my hands touch the outside of the cover, and I never have to touch the "dirty" side that has been in contact with the cart.  I just ordered a couple more so I can have one in the wash and still have a couple in the car.  As yet, I haven't left it on the cart, but I purposefully bought bright patterns so I can spot them easily.  Just a suggestion to help keep the hands clean.  I am surprised that dress gloves have not come back into fashion.  We would never go to church without them in the "old days"!

I have actually thought about pulling mine out.  They were my grandmothers and I thought, well, hmmmm.  Maybe next week for work.

6 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m in NY. 1 guy got 9 sick and 1000! were asked to self quarantine 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-yeshiva-university.amp.html

THIS is what I am afraid of!

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

All the Duggar’s and their adjacencents who don’t vaccinate might get Coronavirus. The Rods who travel to preach (grift) can spread it to 10000 people and many states. Yikes.

But you can't vaccinate against Coronavirus, so we're all in the same boat there.

I could totally see the Rods spreading it, though. Instead of Typhoid Mary, we'll have Coronavirus Jill...

• LOL 8
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, louannems said:

70 cases in my area. (Seattle area).  And 11 deaths. No store has hand sanitizer, nor rubbing alcohol or aloe vera gel, after the local TV said the recipe for homemade.

Now 76 confirmed cases and 15 deaths in Washington state. All of the Seattle are colleges, and many schools, are on-line only.

• Love 1

I am officially on work from home until further notice. More cases of corona virus in my company. We’re not getting a lot of information so people are becoming frustrated. I’m going to do a huge Target/grocery store/pet store run early tomorrow and then not leave my house for 2 weeks. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I am officially on work from home until further notice. More cases of corona virus in my company. We’re not getting a lot of information so people are becoming frustrated. I’m going to do a huge Target/grocery store/pet store run early tomorrow and then not leave my house for 2 weeks. 

It is good you can work from home. I work retail and while worry is to strong of a word, I do wonder what would happen if they wanted the stores to close. Our company, which is a very good company, could not afford to pay everyone while we are closed down and I do not have two weeks of PTO. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

But you can't vaccinate against Coronavirus, so we're all in the same boat there.

I could totally see the Rods spreading it, though. Instead of Typhoid Mary, we'll have Coronavirus Jill...

My understanding is if you are not vaccinated it’s easier to get sick with Coronavirus. 

Vaccinated or not vaccinated coronavirus doesn’t care. People with any sort of lung problems, asthma immune suppressed are most vulnerable. It’s why there aren’t as many cases in kids who’s lungs are generally 

My info comes from a relative in healthcare but, not infallible 

• Love 11

i heard Dr Fauci speak (on the radio) and he said the most vulnerable are the elderly with a serious underlying condition   - not everybody exposed will get it and not everybody who gets it will be very sick or die  - use common sense  be very diligent about hand washing and touching the face  -  it downplaying but being practical for  now.

• Love 8
(edited)

I said it in another thread, but ever since the media started telling us not to touch our faces, it's all I want to do. I never realized how much I did until I became aware of it.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I said it in another thread, but ever since the media started telling us not to touch our faces, it's all I want to do. I never realized how much I did until I became aware of it.

Oh God me too. It's so embarrassing.

I've been obsessively washing my hands even more than I already obsessively wash my hands. 

Saw this (urging people to wash their hands like Lady Macbeth) and it greatly amused me:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ms_Rodrigues19/status/1235715152705699842

But in all seriousness, hope everyone on here's okay. 

• Love 3

@MargeGunderson, I'm curious about your shopping experience yesterday. My state doesn't have a confirmed case of covid 19 at this time, but all I'm hearing from friends and seeing online is how stores are out of basically anything, like toilet paper, flour, rice, bleach wipes, etc. 

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

@MargeGunderson, I'm curious about your shopping experience yesterday. My state doesn't have a confirmed case of covid 19 at this time, but all I'm hearing from friends and seeing online is how stores are out of basically anything, like toilet paper, flour, rice, bleach wipes, etc. 

No confirmed case in Arkansas either, but I went to a walgreens and a walmart in a neighboring town and all the hand sanitizer was gone. I didn't notice any other obvious shortages. 

• Love 3

We've got confirmed cases in my state (although not in my city, yet) and some stores have started putting a limit on the number of bottles of sanitizer you can buy at one time. No stores I've been to seem to be out of any products so far. 

• Love 6

We got rain this morning! It's been well over a month, so we'll take it. 

As for coronavirus, we have a confirmed case in the next city over, but none here in The Town yet. The South Bay has been hit harder, about 15 cases the last I heard. Google canceled its annual conference, since people travel from all over the world. 

• Love 7

Interesting! It seems like the Sam's Clubs are out of everything in our area and I've seen that Costco is imposing limits. I've also heard Walmarts and Targets in the metropolitan area are very picked over. I haven't checked our local small town Walmart recently, but when I was there early this week, I couldn't find hand sanitizer (the one in my purse ran out) and when I went down the paper and cleaning aisles for other items, the paper goods and bleach wipes looked really low in stock. I really don't know what is causing so much panic in my area! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I went to Target and Wegmans this morning. Wegmans was out of bleach wipes and hand sanitizer, but otherwise seemed normal. Target was out of both as well, but while I was checking out I noticed that the guy behind me had a three pack of Target brand disinfectant wipes. He told me where he found them and I grabbed the last pack. Paper towels were okay but the toilet paper was a bit picked over (still plenty of it though). Other than that, everything was pretty much as normal, although it did seem like there were more people in Target at 8am than usual.

Mr Gunderson and I ran several other errands and then picked up our newly adopted cats! I’m now fully prepared to be quarantined if necessary (I doubt it will come to that). 

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I went to Target and Wegmans this morning. Wegmans was out of bleach wipes and hand sanitizer, but otherwise seemed normal. Target was out of both as well, but while I was checking out I noticed that the guy behind me had a three pack of Target brand disinfectant wipes. He told me where he found them and I grabbed the last pack. Paper towels were okay but the toilet paper was a bit picked over (still plenty of it though). Other than that, everything was pretty much as normal, although it did seem like there were more people in Target at 8am than usual.

Mr Gunderson and I ran several other errands and then picked up our newly adopted cats! I’m now fully prepared to be quarantined if necessary (I doubt it will come to that). 

I'm glad your experience wasn't too crazy and you got everything you needed!

Congratulations on the new family members! Are they kittens or adult cats?

• Love 1
Just now, BitterApple said:

I was at Walmart SuperCenter this morning and the paper goods aisle was completely cleaned out, along with most of the cleaning products and all of the bottled water.

Our stores in Santa Barbara haven't been cleaned out yet from what I have seen but one of my husbands friends said the opposite.  Wonder where he goes?  I have a fairly good stock of stuff but we were thinking about maybe getting a bit more food.  All I could think of is cheese.  I must be hungry.  HA!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

We have 2 cases. (NC) One guy in Raleigh NC, flew back with it from the assisted living facility in Washington. He and his family are at home quarantined feeling fine. He had been to church and restaurant before diagnosis though.....both have been disinfected. Restaurant is near my office.     Other case is man from a rural county who returned from ski trip in Italy.  He and his family quarantined as well. He’s fine too and ALL the guys on his buddy ski trip ALSO had it. Not sure which states they returned to. 

I was out today shopping and discovered how difficult it is to keep sanitizing and not contaminating other things. Like, when u open the sanitizer the cap is contaminated. That then touches your lip stick, sun glasses and other stuff in you purse. Also, when you put insert debit card, it gets contaminated, then you put it back in purse.......it’s really hard to stay free from all viruses. I’m sort of feeling down about all this. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

KITTIES!!!!!  I love kitties.  Congrats.  I found a new litter box I love.  I got it on Amazon and it is stainless steel.  It has gotten great reviews and so far I concur.  It is easy to clean and doesn't hold smells nor does litter clump and get stuck to the side.  I finally also got a litter catching rug to put in front of it.  Why it took me so long to get it I will never know.  It works wonders!

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Both cats are about a year old. They weren’t in the same cage at the shelter, but are getting along great. We thought they would be shy and nervous, but within half an hour they were exploring the house and wanting to be petted. After checking things out, one curled up in my lap and the other curled up next to me. They are both little love bugs!

• Love 23
Just now, Natalie68 said:

Our stores in Santa Barbara haven't been cleaned out yet from what I have seen but one of my husbands friends said the opposite.  

I'm in Las Vegas, and the local media is fear mongering to the hilt. 

• Love 4

my sister in law and her husband are on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

thankfully in good health so far. but they are incredibly frustrated over lack of information.

they have an interior cabin so zero fresh air. they fill out a paper slip for food and someone drops it off outside their door.

cruise ship finally gave everyone free wi-fi so they can be in contact with family

8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow. That's horrible. I also can't believe that the ship doesn't offer free WiFi as part of its package. To not do so seems so 2001.

Marriott's don't either.  SOOOOO stupid.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wow. That's horrible. I also can't believe that the ship doesn't offer free WiFi as part of its package. To not do so seems so 2001.

We found out no free WiFi two years ago since we honestly thought it’d be part of the amenities. SGirl was only 10 but man, she had a rough time. It was a Carnival cruise so it may be the case with all cruises.  Except the high class ones. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

crazy8s, do they know how long they'll be stuck on the ship? Are they not allowed to leave their room?

we chatted with them via text just now. they have no idea how long they will be stuck on the ship. they are getting no info at all

news reports are true everyone onboard learned people were testing positive for covid 19 via the pence news conference yesterday. the captain made an announcement shortly after that apologizing they found out that way, but the government refused to let them announce anything prior to that.

she says it took 3 hours to get coffee this morning and several more hours to get any food