Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

KITTIES!!!!!  I love kitties.  Congrats.  I found a new litter box I love.  I got it on Amazon and it is stainless steel.  It has gotten great reviews and so far I concur.  It is easy to clean and doesn't hold smells nor does litter clump and get stuck to the side.  I finally also got a litter catching rug to put in front of it.  Why it took me so long to get it I will never know.  It works wonders!

What is the brand of your litter box?

• Love 3
(edited)

This afternoon the Carnival Panorama arrived at the Long Beach port. Passengers not allowed to disembark because a passenger is at a hospital being tested for corona virus.

Oh yeah, this shit is totally contained. What a time to be alive.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I was at Walmart SuperCenter this morning and the paper goods aisle was completely cleaned out, along with most of the cleaning products and all of the bottled water.

Somehow people think their water supply will be contaminated. Delusional.

• Love 11

I just started my cancer treatment for lymphoma 2 weeks ago. This is a scary time to have a weakened immune system. I pretty much haven’t left the house except for treatment. Of course, I have to go to a hospital for treatment which is the worst place to be as far as germs and exposure to everything.  

• Love 5

Late to this @Nysha I'm glad you have some sort of closure. 

I'm not as worried about Covid 19 as much as I should be I suppose. I've been too busy with other things. I am working at a college this term and student attendance has drastically dropped. They are complaining that the school needs to cancel classes or offer other options so they don't have to come to campus for midterms and finals. The one time the department I worked for tried online exams, a group of students got together and did the exam together. So the online exams stopped. That and only a limited amount of instructors have access to recording lectures. I do not have access. 

We haven't even had a confirmed case yet. It gets a bit annoying because you don't know what is truly anxiety and what is I don't want to do the work, I will use this as an excuse. 

• Love 5
(edited)

31 minutes ago, EVS said:

I just started my cancer treatment for lymphoma 2 weeks ago. This is a scary time to have a weakened immune system. I pretty much haven’t left the house except for treatment. Of course, I have to go to a hospital for treatment which is the worst place to be as far as germs and exposure to everything.  

I understand wanting to stay as safe as possible, especially with your treatments. How are you feeling? I’ve been going to Duke Med  clinic areas for a few issues recently and I see quite a few people wearing masks. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

What is the brand of your litter box?

iPrimio Ultimate Stainless Steel Cat XL Litter Box.  It isn't cheap ($66) BUT if I don't have to replace it every year or so it will save me money.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I understand wanting to stay as safe as possible, especially with your treatments. How are feeling? I’ve been going to Duke Med  clinic areas for a few issues recently and I see quite a few people wearing masks. 

On Thursday,  I have to drive a considerable distance to pick up my brother and then drive him to an appointment another considerable distance away to a hospital.  For a procedure he isn't sure he wants or needs. .. 😬😬.  

What do you do?  I guess hope non emergency procedures are rescheduled?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

On Thursday,  I have to drive a considerable distance to pick up my brother and then drive him to an appointment another considerable distance away to a hospital.  For a procedure he isn't sure he wants or needs. .. 😬😬.  

What do you do?  I guess hope non emergency procedures are rescheduled?

Yeah, I’ve considered rescheduling my upcoming appointments, but, I have conditions that really need monitoring and treatments, and it takes so long to get another appointment. Some of them 3 months. So....I’m going to stay far from people, wash hands and try not to touch anything or anybody.  I am having an eye exam and I may wear a mask during the exam, because their face is close to your face.  This is at a major medical facility, so it’s so crowded. Oh well .....

Can’t you call and see if he can reschedule?

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I’ve considered rescheduling my upcoming appointments, but, I have conditions that really need monitoring and treatments, and it takes so long to get another appointment. Some of them 3 months. So....I’m going to stay far from people, wash hands and try not to touch anything or anybody.  I am having an eye exam and I may wear a mask during the exam, because their face is close to your face.  This is at a major medical facility, so it’s so crowded. Oh well .....

Can’t you call and see if he can reschedule?

He is doing the drive up here in good weather tomorrow  to  deliver  the last of his tax stuff so I can deal with that.  The thing is ..... he is so dependent on Medicaid, he is worried he will be somehow penalized if he questions any appointment  or procedure.  So I help him when he needs help.  But, I will suggest rescheduling until later.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

my sister in law and her husband are on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

thankfully in good health so far. but they are incredibly frustrated over lack of information.

they have an interior cabin so zero fresh air. they fill out a paper slip for food and someone drops it off outside their door.

cruise ship finally gave everyone free wi-fi so they can be in contact with family

Do you mean the Grand Princess? Isn't Diamond the one that was stuck in Japan?

1 hour ago, EVS said:

I hope the treatment is successful. Thank you for updating us. I was thinking how you are doing. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I understand wanting to stay as safe as possible, especially with your treatments. How are you feeling? I’ve been going to Duke Med  clinic areas for a few issues recently and I see quite a few people wearing masks. 

19 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I hope the treatment is successful. Thank you for updating us. I was thinking how you are doing. 

I am doing well. Thank you. I do wear the masks that are provided at the hospital. I have no idea if they are effective against coronavirus. I just wear them for general protection. 

Edited by EVS
Grammar
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

We got rain this morning! It's been well over a month, so we'll take it. 

As for coronavirus, we have a confirmed case in the next city over, but none here in The Town yet. The South Bay has been hit harder, about 15 cases the last I heard. Google canceled its annual conference, since people travel from all over the world. 

Yeah, I'm in the South Bay. Santa Clara County (where I live and spend most of my time) has the most cases of any county in the Bay Area at 32. Er, we're number one?

Seriously, though, we are scheduled to visit my dad in a few weeks at his memory care facility in Indiana (Indiana has one case so far) and we are thinking it is not unlikely that we will postpone even if we are not sick ourselves. We don't want to be vectors to a facility full of high-risk people. It would be too bad because we are slated to be there to celebrate his birthday but COVID-19 would be a crappy present.

Edited by jcbrown
typos are not friends

Neither carnival nor royal Caribbean have free WiFi. You have to pay for it and it still sucks. Glad those stranded have been given a way to be in touch with the outside world!  It must be so boring and stifling to be quarantined!  

three cases in an area where kids from my sons school were. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

My cat Charlie isn’t doing well. We are at the vet now. He was acting slow and lethargic and not like himself. Upon examination the vet said he was dehydrated and his temp was low. I’m still waiting. Poor guy. He’s the sweetest and friendliest of my 3, I knew something had to be wrong when he wasn’t there to greet me for breakfast. There he is my sweet boy. I’m hanging out in the cat waiting area- nice art work. 

99F2485B-97E9-42F9-9BCA-17CFDF40478D.jpeg

14 hours ago, emma675 said:

crazy8s, do they know how long they'll be stuck on the ship? Are they not allowed to leave their room?

Update - Grand Princess passengers have been told they are to come into port in Oakland tomorrow, maybe. but there will be some system for removing passengers on a need for treatment or other health priorities first, so it may take several days to get everyone off the ship.

they have not been told where they will end up or how long they might be wherever.

we had a good laugh that sister in law and husband are considered among the "elderly on board" they are early 60s.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

My cat Charlie isn’t doing well. We are at the vet now. He was acting slow and lethargic and not like himself. Upon examination the vet said he was dehydrated and his temp was low. I’m still waiting. Poor guy. He’s the sweetest and friendliest of my 3, I knew something had to be wrong when he wasn’t there to greet me for breakfast. There he is my sweet boy. I’m hanging out in the cat waiting area- nice art work. 

99F2485B-97E9-42F9-9BCA-17CFDF40478D.jpeg

Poor kitty 

get well soon buddy 

• Love 5

Charlie is really sick. Severe kidney failure.  I have some hard decisions to make. 

We are headed home for cuddle time. I may be back in a few days for Euthanasia. But I want Mr Norris and Blake to be there, and I want to be able to cuddle him. 

53 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Charlie is really sick. Severe kidney failure.  I have some hard decisions to make. 

We are headed home for cuddle time. I may be back in a few days for Euthanasia. But I want Mr Norris and Blake to be there, and I want to be able to cuddle him. 

So sorry. I lost one of mine to kidney failure many years ago. 😢

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I'm praying for you all @Scarlett45.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Is this normal? Father and mother (  divorced) will not tell their grown son their severe health troubles. I know and am not allowed to say anything to the son.  (My uncle and his evil ex)

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Love 3

Oh Scarlett45 I'm so so sorry about your kitty.  It's an understatement to say it's a difficult time, but give yourself a hug from me, and give Charlie a good head scratch and massage from me as well.   

lookeyloo I'm sending good thoughts to your son, and to you as well.  

I can attest that my Aldi has lots of bleach wipes but there's very little hand sanitizer.  We've had cases in Illinois but nothing creeping into my county yet.  Yet.  I'm no fearmonger but there's just something different about this one.  I hope the cases dwindle down sooner rather than later.  Stay inside Evs!  

My next fun time is a needle biopsy of the breast from MRI - I had an MRI done recently and they saw something, but aren't sure what exactly it is, though the doctor seems to think it's just a wayward lymph node.  Being very claustrophobic I had to have an anti anxiety pill before the initial MRI which I assure you is not a fun time though it sounds as if the brain MRI is no treat either.  I'm asking for a higher dosage of fun this time around, though it sounds as if it's a bit easier, you aren't left in the MRI machine as long.  I'm not googling it because I don't want to ramp up or enhance any of my pre-anxiety that I'm having. 

It really is always something.         

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I'm so sorry about Charlie. He's a gorgeous boy. How old is he? Sometimes you can keep a kitty with kidney failure comfortable and happy for a while with fluids and supportive therapy but it just depends. I lost my 19 year-old kitten to kidney failure last year, and we had three other prior kids with kidney disease. It really seems to be a weak point in cats. You will know the right thing to do.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m so sorry, @Scarlett45. I lost my 19 1/2 year old to kidney failure in January after a short hospitalization and then a few days at home. PM me if you want to talk about it.

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I'm so sorry about Charlie. He's a gorgeous boy. How old is he? Sometimes you can keep a kitty with kidney failure comfortable and happy for a while with fluids and supportive therapy but it just depends. I lost my 19 year-old kitten to kidney failure last year, and we had three other prior kids with kidney disease. It really seems to be a weak point in cats. You will know the right thing to do.

Charlie is 15. Mr Norris is almost 20 (I say his bday is May 4) and he’s been holding on in kidney failure just fine. 

I am not concerned about Cornovirus. Maybe it’s being in a major metro area (you guys know I’m in chicago city proper) but there are still plenty of wipes and hand sanitizer in the stores. People have not been wiping the shelves clean. Out of the three of us Mom is the most at risk but she’s committed to seeing patients (Hippocratic Oath and all), my sister is the least at risk cause she has limited contact with others. Many of my Sib friends in our online support groups are concerned, someone’s brothers group home was quarantined.  Of course I want everyone to stay healthy and if you’re immune system is compromised of course you have to take care of yourself.

And always wash your hands.  

Charlie and I are home cuddling. 

E66913AB-68E7-4B67-A32D-BF304CC28B9C.jpeg

• Love 21
(edited)
4 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

Stay inside Evs!  

Good news. I don’t have to!  Someone I know has a bike they have never used and said I could have it. I just have to get it tuned. Last fall we moved right near bike trails. I have foot issues and can only walk short distances so a bike will give me freedom and I can get fresh air and exercise without being around crowds. I’m really excited. Hopefully I can get it soon. 

@Scarlett45  I am so sorry about your beautiful Charlie. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 15

EVS:

May you have good luck with your lymphoma treatments.  

If you don’t mind sharing, what type of lymphoma do you have?  I was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma some 33+ years ago, but I know that there are many types, and treatment is different for each kind.

Enjoy your bicycle!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Update - Grand Princess passengers have been told they are to come into port in Oakland tomorrow, maybe. but there will be some system for removing passengers on a need for treatment or other health priorities first, so it may take several days to get everyone off the ship.

they have not been told where they will end up or how long they might be wherever.

we had a good laugh that sister in law and husband are considered among the "elderly on board" they are early 60s.

Being local, I've found out more about the ship. There are 19 confirmed cases, most of those crew. The crew will be quarantined for two weeks after they disembark. It sounds like the ship will dick tomorrow, but it will take a couple of to get everyone off the ship. I don't know how people will get home, although they said 1000 of the passengers are from CA, so it won't be much of a problem getting home. 

@Scarlett45, so sorry to hear about your kitty. I know you will do what's best for him. ❤️

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Being local, I've found out more about the ship. There are 19 confirmed cases, most of those crew. The crew will be quarantined for two weeks after they disembark. It sounds like the ship will dick tomorrow, but it will take a couple of to get everyone off the ship. I don't know how people will get home, although they said 1000 of the passengers are from CA, so it won't be much of a problem getting home. 

Are they being sent home right away? A couple from my area are on the ship, local news reported on it this morning. And we have 3 cases in my state now. Curious how many states DON'T have a case at this point.

• Love 1

They weren't clear about when healthy people would be allowed to go home, although it was made clear that they are low priority and will be the last to disembark. They could be on the ship for a couple of days after the ship docks tomorrow.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They weren't clear about when healthy people would be allowed to go home, although it was made clear that they are low priority and will be the last to disembark. They could be on the ship for a couple of days after the ship docks tomorrow.

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but it looks the passengers will be quarantined for 14 more days.

image.thumb.jpeg.40e280aeba4dffb57edea854861ae480.jpeg

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, marypat57 said:

EVS:

May you have good luck with your lymphoma treatments.  

If you don’t mind sharing, what type of lymphoma do you have?  I was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma some 33+ years ago, but I know that there are many types, and treatment is different for each kind.

Enjoy your bicycle!

I have stage 4 chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma. It’s a slow growing non-Hodgkin lymphoma. It’s very treatable. I get immunotherapy and I take a targeted therapy drug. I’ll be ok if I can get past this Coronavirus craziness. 

51 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

As a slight change of topic, let me brag on my granddaughter just a tiny bit. She honestly kind of impressed me the other day when I was watching her, and we were "drawing"  -  which generally consists of her covering whatever I have just drawn in a coat of loops and zigzags, but it's nice that she is zeroing in more on some of the details rather than just scribbling at random on the whole page. Sometimes I trace our hands, then fill in some of the details, and let her go to town on the rest. The other day, though, she wanted hands again, so I traced my hand and hers inside it, then gave her the paper, and she proceeded to methodically, and quite carefully, fill in a fingernail at the end of each finger, all by herself, with no coaching. I may be a biased grandma, but that seems like a pretty darn good job for her not even being quite two years old yet!

IMG_20200305_114335.jpg

That’s very impressive!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Thanks. The news reports I heard didn't mention a quarantine for healthy passengers. 

This really sucks.

I wonder if they are going to charge these people for testing, etc. I read that the tests cost $3500 each.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder if they are going to charge these people for testing, etc. I read that the tests cost $3500 each.

I imagine that Princess' parent company has to pick up the tab since it's their crew that is sick.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I read that was the total ER co-pay for someone who went to the ER because they were sick and thought it might be corona.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Somewhere in Illinois a school employee returned from a cruise and now has corona virus.  School is shut down and all have been advised to stay indoors for two weeks!

Heard that on the radio while driving home today.