Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E08: The Writing is on the Wall

• Start Topic

Kody takes Janelle out for her birthday and talks about wanting to start over; Meri reveals to Kody that she's moving her clothing business to Utah but not giving up on their relationship, and his reaction is worse than she expected.

Air Date: October 8, 2023

• Like 3

Meri and Robyn have such a strange "relationship" (in quotes because how can you call it that when Meri is the only one keeping in contact?). When she reached for Robyn's hand toward the end of the kitchen scene, it just seemed super weird - did she really think Robyn was invested in Kody keeping Meri's hopes up? Wouldn't that seem like a red flag?

I think she'd been gaslit by Robyn for so long she just didn't know what was really going on. I think based on her TH, that she's wised up by now.

• Like 21
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, General Days said:

Timing note: I believe Janelle's birthday is May 6th.

Thanks for that. So, this is May 2022? Are we now about a year and a half behind real time?  Hopefully we are catching up to what we already know from social media. 

Edited by js9548
  • Like 9
31 minutes ago, zenme said:

I am so sorry - my compuer did something weird - IGNORE!! If the admin can delete this mess I would appreciate it. 

7 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

I

Edited by zamp33
My computer did something weird and I triple posted so sorry
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 1
2 minutes ago, zamp33 said:

Robyn showed her loyalty when instead of trying to fix things with Janelle's boys at the holidays when Meri suggested inviting them for Christmas Eve - Robyn  said "that would be scary" and we know about the text thread debacle - she has no desire to interact with the other kids - except maybe for Mykelti. 

And she’ll drop MyKelti when it’s suits her.   
I didn’t like Janelle going to dinner with Kody- but she does need to try to maintain a civil separation if the kids ever want to see him.  Because  he’s already saying the wife (ex-wife)  not letting him come over is the reason he can’t see his kids.  As if the kids are imprisoned at home 24/7. As if they can’t leave mom’s side.

She did shut him down about this being a reconciliation. That was made clear in the TH. 

The way he treats Meri is awful.  Then he uses the excuse that she won’t listen when he tells her it’s over.  He had the perfect time and on camera during this conversation to tell  her to move completely and why. He didn’t - and that’s all because he knows Robyn doesn’t want him to. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1

That was the most awkward interaction between 2 people that have been "married" for more than 30 yrs I have ever seen. Meri, you are right. Kody is done with you. I wish she would save her money and forget about getting a smaller place in Flagstaff unless she loves Flagstaff so much she doesn't want to leave permanently. I don't think that's her reason. 

• Like 16
9 hours ago, eskimo said:

He obviously doesn't want them around, and she does (to be superior to)

I think this says it all.  Robyn can’t be the “winner” if there’s no one else in the race.

• Like 16
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

He completely ignored Savannah and all her kids at Christmas, but Janelle wants to go out, so whatever. I think Janelle does what works for Janelle, and if it means her kids get screwed, then oh well. I've gotten this vibe at various times from both Janelle and Christine. I know they get a great edit from TLC, but they're not the good people or fabulous mothers some people think they are.

Janelle is separated from Kody because Janelle wants her independence, not because she's so protective of her kids.

Janelle and Christine both seem to have their priorities skewed. 

For Janelle, it should have been the forced move to Flagstaff ignoring Gabe's prospects of scholarships (both academic and athletic) for the sake of helicopter mom, Robyn.

For Christine, most women I know would have given up on the relationship over Kody's behaviour regarding Ysabel's surgery, NOT the realization that she would never again enjoy the wet pencil stub.

• Like 7
  • Applause 15
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Janelle and Christine both seem to have their priorities skewed. 

For Janelle, it should have been the forced move to Flagstaff ignoring Gabe's prospects of scholarships (both academic and athletic) for the sake of helicopter mom, Robyn.

Before Covid, I can’t think of a time or instance when Janelle put her children first.  When it comes to polygamy, Janelle who was born LDS, is the biggest Kool-Aid drinker.   I lost all respect for her when she pulled Gabe out of his final year in High School to follow Kody who was following Robyn who was following her son to college in Arizona.  Robyn would never in a million years allow one of Janelle’s kids to dictate where she lives. 

• Like 21
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

That scene was so embarrassing. Kody says he could build a "barndominium" for Meri. Meri acknowledges that is where Kody wants to put everything he's done with and doesn't want to be bothered by anymore. Kody uses every opportunity to use Meri as an emotional doormat and wipe his feet all over her. 

Meri said it. She's really been by herself, doing things for herself for a decade now. Don't leave a door open for that a-hole Kody. Pick up your self esteem, tell him you are leaving and don't look back. There is zero future with Kody. He is nothing but toxic. Is she staying for the show's money? Then do something else on the show that's more interesting than groveling. 

Why shouldn't Meri ask about Kody wearing a different wedding ring? He acted like it was none of her business. What an ass. 

This episode included more interaction between some of the grown children, Janelle, and Christine. It's good to hear them all in agreement that they want to include each other in holidays and celebrations. Hmm, could they carry their own spin off show? They were more interesting than listening to Kody muse over how much he wants to hurt Meri. 

The "bardominium" idea was stupid. Why would Meri want to live in a room in a barn? I have to agree with a**hole  Kody though when he said " I don't know why Meri still lives in Flaggstaff."

Meri should just live in Utah full time.

I loved it when Gabe said "Wherever Christine spends Thanksgiving, that's where I want to spend Thankgiving." ahh.

They could totally have their own spin off show.

• Like 19
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

I think there were many reasons that built up over time that let Christine make the decision to actually leave.

I agree there were many factors that influenced her decision but the optics were bad when it appeared that her decision to leave was after she came to the realization that she would be frozen out by Kody.

• Like 10

I think Meri would have told Kody she was done and gone at that awkward meeting if Robyn hadn’t been feeding Meri with the fiction that Kody still wanted them to be a family. Robyn has been doing everything she can to keep Meri around just so she can lord it over Meri that Robyn is the preferred wife. Robyn is truly one sick individual.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I lost all respect for her when she pulled Gabe out of his final year in High School to follow Kody who was following Robyn who was following her son to college in Arizona.  Robyn would never in a million years allow one of Janelle’s kids to dictate where she lives. 

The same reasoning applies, but Gabe had two years left when they moved to AZ.  He was so disturbed by it all that he put all his efforts into finishing high school and did that a year early.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Janelle?  You can "compartmentalize" the various abuses and neglect done to your children by their father in order to go out on a hot date with Curly Sue to the best restaurant in Arizona?  Take several seats.  He's clearly still got the hots for her - he seems to somehow enjoy the idea of having a wife at home but some bow-chicka-wow on the side.  That's not polygamy, though, that's having an affair.  Hey, whatever works for those two, I guess, but for them to pretend that they were on some sexy date night after the crap that Kody has dished out to Gabe, Garrison and Savanah made me ragey.  Enjoy, Janelle, you do you but you can shove your "compartmentalization" rational.

Great post, Laura.

I'm not even convinced Kody still has the hots for Janelle. I do think they had a full marriage up until the separation, but I also think that, in his heart, he is in a monogamous relationship with himself (sorry, I couldn't resist) or possibly Robyn (but really himself).

In my opinion, historically, Kody has been able to use sex to manipulate Janelle. That's why (imo) he was so offended last week and talked about his six-pack abs and whatever else it was he mentioned (I mostly tried to black it out). He was offended, because his usual move didn't work.

Meri talking about having two houses...she was like, "you know who else has two or more houses?  Polygamist men."  Damn, Mere!!  I just wish the Meri on the couch would match up with the simpering wuss we saw during the conversation (if you can call it that) with Kody and Robyn.  

I loved that more than a Brown kid loves Mock Tapioca Pudding.

And yeah, it would be great if Meri could get that place in her face-to-face interactions. For thirty years though, Kody and his other wives have been telling her it's wrong to be blunt, so she's been conditioned to keep that in, and her frustration leaks out as tears, instead.

2 hours ago, applewood said:

The "bardominium" idea was stupid. Why would Meri want to live in a room in a barn? I have to agree with a**hole  Kody though when he said " I don't know why Meri still lives in Flaggstaff."

Meri should just live in Utah full time.

I loved it when Gabe said "Wherever Christine spends Thanksgiving, that's where I want to spend Thankgiving." ahh.

They could totally have their own spin off show.

I think Kody wants Meri to live in Utah fulltime and just come back to film the show. I think that's what he was trying to get at by storing her in the barn. She could stay there when she has to film, and get the hell out of his life when she doesn't (because who would stay over in Kodpiece's glorified storage shed any longer than they had to?). 

• Like 16
15 hours ago, eskimo said:

See, I don't get that Robyn would lose respect for Kody if he lets go of his wives, but not lose respect for him treating them like total dog shit.  I could never be attracted to a man who treated others that way, no matter who they are.  Their sick minds must view Kody's willingness to simultaneously push away and also string along, these other women as a testament of his love for her,  or something????  This doesn't really describe what I'm getting at the way I'd like, but I can't really express it for some reason.  He obviously doesn't want them around, and she does (to be superior to), and this is the compromise?  It's baffling.  

It IS so baffling but don't forget it is Kody saying that about Robyn losing respect for him..... but still Robyn says equally strange unrelatable things all the time. It's like they are from a different planet and I think Robyn is just full of real insecurities and Kody is just all about himself.  And I think they are desperate to hold onto the show.  Obviously they watch back the footage and they still can't see themselves.  I doubt anyone can relate to them.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Kody was so hoping to have sex with Janelle.  And why did he bring up his shirt like he was soooo dressed up.... and more than once! Hoping Janelle said g'night to him at the door and just enjoyed the free dinner!

• Like 17
8 hours ago, zamp33 said:

I am so sorry - my compuer did something weird - IGNORE!! If the admin can delete this mess I would appreciate it. 

I think there are too many flashing, moving ads interfering with posting on here sometimes!

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
20 minutes ago, candall said:

I had to pause the recording so I could come here and release the hysterical laugh bubble that formed in my chest when Kody said "[Robyn and I] have never been allowed, essentially, to be in love with each other. or . . . to find solace in each other."

That was totally bananas. How were there greater limitations on this relationship than on the others? He's just giving himself away because this was the only wife he's been in love with, so it's the first time he's ever WANTED to flaunt it.

• Like 20
41 minutes ago, endure said:

Kody was so hoping to have sex with Janelle.  And why did he bring up his shirt like he was soooo dressed up.... and more than once! Hoping Janelle said g'night to him at the door and just enjoyed the free dinner!

🤢🤮

• Fire 1
  • LOL 10
9 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Aww, poor widdle Dingleberry feels like an "object?"  You mean, kind of like him wanting to store Meri in a barn with the other crap from his life that he doesn't want to dill with?  Like that, you freaking asshat?  Just checking.

This was the scene where I shouted something out loud - I think it was a four-letter word combined with a guffaw.  Thankfully no one in my house heard me.

I don't know if the editors are having fun this season trying to make Robyn look like an idiot or what, but the intercut of Kody telling Meri she could sleep in the hayloft of his barn followed by Robyn dry-crying, "see?  He wants you thurrrr, Meri!  He's tryin'!  There's still somethin' thurr!  Don't give up on us!" was hysterical.  

Other comments:

Janelle?  You can "compartmentalize" the various abuses and neglect done to your children by their father in order to go out on a hot date with Curly Sue to the best restaurant in Arizona?  Take several seats.  He's clearly still got the hots for her - he seems to somehow enjoy the idea of having a wife at home but some bow-chicka-wow on the side.  That's not polygamy, though, that's having an affair.  Hey, whatever works for those two, I guess, but for them to pretend that they were on some sexy date night after the crap that Kody has dished out to Gabe, Garrison and Savanah made me ragey.  Enjoy, Janelle, you do you but you can shove your "compartmentalization" rational.

Meri talking about having two houses...she was like, "you know who else has two or more houses?  Polygamist men."  Damn, Mere!!  I just wish the Meri on the couch would match up with the simpering wuss we saw during the conversation (if you can call it that) with Kody and Robyn.  

Kody - there are 14 other places to sit at Meri's house.  "I guess I'm gonna sit here on this chair but you're gonna have to move this stupid book."  Also, Kody and Robyn driving up in two separate vehicles, but one right behind the other?  Stop.  Seriously, stop wasting gasoline, you morons.  Save your pennies so Robyn can buy another retired Dickens Village house off of EBay.

Christine - you go, girl.  That is all.

THIS!!!  Every word.  Thanks for the laughs, Laura!

• Like 6
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

That was the most awkward interaction between 2 people that have been "married" for more than 30 yrs I have ever seen. Meri, you are right. Kody is done with you. I wish she would save her money and forget about getting a smaller place in Flagstaff unless she loves Flagstaff so much she doesn't want to leave permanently. I don't think that's her reason. 

The body language!  Kody on one side of the kitchen island, Meri and Robyn on the other….Meri needing to hold Robyn’s hand for safety, talking very passively and sheepishly…she’s SO afraid of him!  

I’ve never been a fan of Meri’s, but that was hard to watch.  And then when she asked an innocent question about his ring, he had the fucking nerve to make fun of her legitimate question.  “It’s just a ring,” he replied, with a sneer.  He and Robyn looked nervous.  It’s probably engraved with some expression of their love, er, I mean their “solace” to one another. 

• Like 23
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This was a simply stupendous statement!  Bravo Meri!

At the risk of being the board pariah, I can see  the point of Kody's barn/apartment idea.  And how it could be misconstrued as hopeful, aka he still wants her near.  He does not, however, in this moment I do think he was trying to be helpful.  He did say making an apartment there, not sticking her up in the hayloft.  LOL.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I mean, it was going to have a fridge and a stove and everything…

If Kody really wanted to seal the deal, he should have used those two magic words: "wet bar."

1 hour ago, endure said:

I think there are too many flashing, moving ads interfering with posting on here sometimes!

I downloaded an app called Ad Blocker.  All those ads are gone and my battery stays charged longer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

That "conversation" between Kody, Meri, and Robyn was something else.  Starting with Kody acting like a weirdo regarding where he sat.  That island looked about a mile long and why did Meri have to hunch over rather than sitting down?  Then there was that ugly ring.  Sobyn totally picked that tacky thing out.  Meri realized in that moment that despite Kody's insistence that it was just a ring that it was on the ring finger of his left hand where the claddagh ring used to be.  She knew the score in that moment. That brings me to the next point, Sobyn pushing her to make her impassioned speech about still having hope and not leaving the family.  Either Robyn is really that obtuse or she is the cruelest person on earth.  Either way, I was disgusted.  And then comes the barndominium.  Not only was she supposed to live in some crappy loft with a stove and a sink and everything, but before that she was supposed to live in an RV including over the winter.  I felt for Meri in that whole scene because I think she was too taken aback to throw both their asses out.  In the TH interviews, she clearly has a clearer picture - or pitcher according to Sobyn.

As for Janelle going to dinner with Kody, I'm torn.  Sure use him for a free meal and don't give him the reconciliation with your money he is after.  But, on the other hand, has he spoken to Savanah yet?  Neither said, so I wonder if he has frozen her out for good.  He's a POS and I'm glad he had to splash out for a fancy dinner and got nothing for it.  And he was not dressed up.

I liked seeing the older kids hanging out together, but I don't want a spinoff.  I want them to be able to liver their lives without cameras in their faces.  I also have no interest in seeing the Tony and Mykelti show because I can't stand either of them.  I also noticed that that enormous beanbag chair had migrated to Garrison's house.  I hope it was the same one.  I would be dismayed to learn that there is more than one of those ugly things in the world.  

I also thought having a lease upfront was a great idea on Garrison's part.  I think Gabe would be responsible and pay rent and to his part in keeping the house up, but Gwen seems flighty and needs the rules spelled out ahead of time.  I did laugh at her closet comment.

One last thing I have noticed over the last few episodes that Meri and Christine are softening their positions on each other.  Meri has defended Christine several times in TH interviews and said in the tell-all that she understood why Christine left.  Christine has commented on how cruel Kody has been to Meri for years and that she feels bad about that.  There may be too much water under the bridge for them to ever be close, but I am hoping that they can at least be civil to each other at family events like weddings.  Mykelti is not there and may never be, but Christine is not in the place where she won't be in the same room with Meri.

• Like 20
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1