Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Golden Globes - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

This sounds really odd, but every time I see Joaquin, I get sad that his brother River isn't around to see his success. 

Don't think it's weird, I think about it a lot especially lately with Joker's success.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Wait! We’ve got SAG next week! 

Isn't it Critics' Choice, then SAG? Or do I have that mixed up?

• Love 2
Just now, slowpoked said:

Not too sure, I know 1917 is a serious contender, but no one really takes the GGs/HFPA as a good precursor to the Oscars. I mean, I don't think anyone saw Roma dominating the Oscars (at least in terms of nominations) when it barely made a blip in GGs and SAGs. 

SAG, DGA, and PGA are the best indicators for Oscars. The Globes tend to get lucky more so than truly predict. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, sally-can-wait said:

Damn 1917...the one movie I haven't seen yet.

Very few have. It's only playing at a few theaters (NY & LA centered I believe) and won't go wide until next week. 

The HFPA saw it because of viewings/screeners so pretty much everyone at home is as in the dark as the next person.

I don't know if it stands a chance but awards shows sure do love their war stories.

Just now, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Critics Choice is next week on... The CW. I'm a glutton for punishment so I'll watch it. It'll beat watching Marriage Story.

Rather watch Marriage Story then hear Renee or Joaquin give another speech lol. I think Joaquin is a great actor and I forever feel bad about River but still his speech felt like a ramble of words thrown together.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

I don’t even know anymore to be honest. I do know the Oscars are a month away which is way too early but they never ask me. 

I’m glad we’re wrapping Award Season up in a month. In the past few years it seems to have dragged forever!

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Renee messed with her face so much it changed her voice.  It makes me sad.

I was thinking that maybe she was a bit tipsy. I once read an interview where she vehemently denied having plastic surgery. SMH. At least it wasn't trout  mouth level Meg Ryan bad. I did love her dress and the color on her.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

But I suspect that Joaquin's speech is going to be the one the internet and social media talk about.

It’d be sad if it ends up overshadowing Michelle Williams’ speech 😞

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Can someone tell me what the Weinstein “burn” was?  I missed it.

In introducing Sandra Bullock, Ricky mentioned The Bird Box about people trying not to see anything, like all the people who had worked with Weinstein. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

What extra fun it is to watch and comment on these shows along with all of you in real time.  Great humor, intel, reactions, commentary.  See you at the next one!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, Mystery said:

In introducing Sandra Bullock, Ricky mentioned The Bird Box about people trying not to see anything, like all the people who had worked with Weinstein. 

I think the wording was that the movie was about people surviving by acting like they don’t see a thing. Which is a little more accusatory and biting, I think. Glad he got one last shot in after such a diminished role in the last half of the show.

• Love 10
25 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

Is Renee drunk?

I think she’s just not very bright. I noticed that when she remembered her script at the end there, she was able to finish strong. She was pretty great in Judy. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, sally-can-wait said:

Damn 1917...the one movie I haven't seen yet.

I am shocked that it won. Shocked. It's a perfectly fine movie but it's not a great one. Plus it's 2020, I'm so sick of all of the World War I and World War II movies. It's part of this whole nostalgia boom because people (especially in the US and UK) would rather live in the past than deal with the issues of the present and the future. What's better than to constantly be reliving the glory years of WWI and WWII when the US and the UK were clearly the "good guys" and they defeated the bad guys. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, 7isBlue said:

I think he’s just uncomfortable in his own skin and a super-introvert. 

Joaquin gets a free pass from me as his family were members of the Children of God cult when he was a child.  This is a cult where there was a lot of sexual abuse of children

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Macbeth said:

Joaquin gets a free pass from me as his family were members of the Children of God cult when he was a child.  This is a cult where there was a lot of sexual abuse of children

I think about that every time I see him, now. I watched a profile of him recently. Heartbreaking. 

20 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm not a big fan of Michelle but she was very good in Fosse/Verdon and I admire her courage for giving a prochoice speech.

I loved Fosse/ Verdon, and loved her as Gwen Verdon. She is a great actress and I’m a fan of her talent, as I am with most who were nominated tonight. I just wish these actors would keep politics out of their speeches. We all have points of view and I may even agree with some of their opinions, but I resent being preached to. There’s a reason the viewership for awards shows have tanked in the last few years - the sanctimony is not entertaining. 

No shade to those of you who have posted in support of her “courage,” but making a pro-choice speech in Hollywood is hardly brave. 

• Love 18

Ricky as host was a mistake, even though I absolutely love his biting humor.  He usually has a mischievous twinkle in his eye but tonight he just seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but there.  He was barely present, even when speaking, as the evening went on.  It was weird.

About Ellen and Carol Burnett — in her speech, did Ellen sort of subtly “out” Carol?

• Love 1

Well this was fun. I think my favorite speeches/moments of the night were Bong Joon-Ho, Michelle Williams, Brad Pitt and Joaquin Phoenix (for the sheer hilarity of it).

And I gotta defend Renee - she's a favorite actress of mine and forever gave one of my favorite performances of all time as Bridget Jones. There might be the alcohol factor in there, as she's the second to the last person to speak in a long ceremony, but she's very deliberate in her speech and conversation. She thinks long and hard before talking. It  may come off as drunk, or slurred speech or blanking out, but she's the type who just doesn't ramble on and on. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I can't help but like Joaquin - I think he's probably incredibly intense and focused and while enjoys acting doesn't maybe subscribe to all the other stuff that goes with it.  He's just one of those that struggles with enjoying his profession but has also touched the demons as well, which gives him great insight into some of his characters.   I'm fairly certain that he'll walk away with the Oscar now as well.

GG's are always all over the map, thought more so in other years than this. As in Awkwafina getting near an Oscar any time soon probably isn't happening, other than a possible nomination but supporting is such a good category this year there are lots of options out there.  Wait and see I guess. 

The fashion tonight...mostly bad.  Really awful bad, not even fun bad.  Is there a shortage of stylists?  Do they need eye exams? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

The fashion tonight...mostly bad.  Really awful bad, not even fun bad.  Is there a shortage of stylists?  Do they need eye exams? 

If you want a laugh, one of the best-known entertainment magazines has posted its GG Best Dressed list — it is literally almost every single one of the worst from what we’ve been saying over here.    

26 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Ricky as host was a mistake, even though I absolutely love his biting humor.  He usually has a mischievous twinkle in his eye but tonight he just seemed like he wanted to be anywhere but there.  He was barely present, even when speaking, as the evening went on.  It was weird.

I agree on your observation but am still glad he hosted. I hope he enjoyed himself more than it seemed.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I’m glad we’re wrapping Award Season up in a month. In the past few years it seems to have dragged forever!

Especially since this awards season is so lackluster.  It’s full of people and movies I don’t care for or can’t stand.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I think there's a different way to view this. The points he was making about Hollywood hypocrisy were funny because they were deadly serious. His central point--that the people in the room had made a deal with the devil, to accept evil in return for unimaginable wealth and fame, and how dare they pretend otherwise--was made with a savagery commensurate with the point. And was the funnier because of it. The usual twinkle in the eye would have said the opposite: "I'm just kidding." He wasn't just kidding.

• Love 24
7 hours ago, 7isBlue said:

I just wish these actors would keep politics out of their speeches. We all have points of view and I may even agree with some of their opinions, but I resent being preached to. There’s a reason the viewership for awards shows have tanked in the last few years - the sanctimony is not entertaining. 

Ricky was right when he said they work for shitty companies like Apple and Amazon and then they get up there and lecture people about politics. 

• Love 18

Michelle Williams's speech was just wonderful. She has received some flak in the media for the "messiness" of her past relationships/current engagement to a married man/pregnancy and she very classily shut that down last night by reminding everyone very simply, her body = her choice. Good for her. 

• Love 8

Well once again, I was wrong in my prediction for what would win Best Drama but I was right in my prediction the experts' pick wouldn't win. Last year it was A Star is Born, that ALL the "experts" said was a sure thing and my gut just told me they wouldn't win.

And this year, despite everything the "experts" were saying, I also knew The Irishman was not going to win. 1917 must have ran a hell of a campaign with the HFPA, considering the film hasn't even had an actual cinematic release. 

2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I think there's a different way to view this. The points he was making about Hollywood hypocrisy were funny because they were deadly serious. His central point--that the people in the room had made a deal with the devil, to accept evil in return for unimaginable wealth and fame, and how dare they pretend otherwise--was made with a savagery commensurate with the point. And was the funnier because of it. The usual twinkle in the eye would have said the opposite: "I'm just kidding." He wasn't just kidding.

I agree with this as well. But I wasn't looking for the "twinkle" during the truly biting comments. More so when he made jokes like the ones about Leo's young dates, Martin Scorcese's height, etc. He delivered all the jokes well, but the glint of mischief wasn't there. Still loved him on there though.

• Love 6

Michelle Williams's speech was just wonderful. She has received some flak in the media for the "messiness" of her past relationships/current engagement to a married man/pregnancy and she very classily shut that down last night by reminding everyone very simply, her body = her choice. Good for her.

Up to a point.  If her fiancé’s wife wants to come out and say her body but my husband and bad choice by both of you, I will understand.

• Love 14

I don't think I've ever seen Patricia Arquette act in anything.  She seems to win awards every year.  Is she really that good?  Roseanna and David Arquette always seemed to be serviceable actors to me, but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Did Selma Hayek had her boobs done? They look like huge balloons masquerading as boobs.

I know!  I don't remember seeing her boobs that big.  Maybe they got bigger with age?

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Did Selma Hayek had her boobs done? They look like huge balloons masquerading as boobs.

Speaking of, I really enjoy Patricia Arquette but good lord cover up a little, please. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, benteen said:

Ricky Gervais was great though that's not a surprise.  Awesome opening monologue and I appreciate whenever pompous, hypocritical Hollywood gets called out and put in its place.

I like it too, though I see why some might find Gervais offensive - I get the criticism that if you're so above it, then why even be there? (answer: $$$$$). I mean when Tina and Amy hosted, they also didn't pull punches calling people out left and right. My favorite still may be when they listed Amal Clooney's important world achievements and then pointing out that George Clooney was the one getting the lifetime achievement award that night. But I think why everyone takes it in stride when it's them is because they don't give that air of "I couldn't give a flying fuck about all this" like Gervais does. They're all in on the fun.

And fun it should be! It's the Globes. No one should take it that seriously. I mean, yes, of course it's always nice to win awards. But take it for what it is, and don't act like you have solved the worlds' biggest problems by winning. Have fun, drink lots of alcohol, smile, chat with your colleagues, etc. 

• Love 9

I swear if I hear one celebrity lay out their politics, I would roll my eyes at that. I'll be like, "Dude, you have maids, handlers, and live in multimillion dollar homes." There is no way you are like us, so don't bring politics to your speech. Thank your family, agents, friends, etc., but leave politics out. I sometimes fast forward the speeches because of this. I am all for their charitable contributions, but this has been like this for several years now. As sad it may sound, I think Ricky has a point.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 10