Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: The Sky Is the Limit

• Start Topic

I knew they were going to have all four go. I thought Chasity should have been cut. When I saw her dress I thought it looked old-fashioned, kind of 19th-century governess merged with 80s Falconcrest gown.

Did the judges have a message for Shantell at the end? They spoke to Chasity, Kristina and Coral, but I don't remember one for Shantell.

• Love 16

Interesting that when the designers got to chose their model they picked the skinny, tall, flat chested models. No surprise all four get to go to fashion week since none of judges said anything that critical.

I had to agree with Elaine that Chasity’s design looked dated. I’ve seen that look so many, many times. I don’t get the macramé look Coral always does, it’s so artsy fartsy. Kristina has done that toga look so many times, I don’t personally like that. Shantall’s white suit was ok but if you actually have breasts you could not have worn that unless you have some kind of top underneath. 
I am looking forward to the finale, no clue who might win it. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, charliesan said:

Wasn't S5 also had an all female finale? I thought Chastity should’ve left, no shade. 

I wanted Coral yo get an official win, but I’m glad she made it into the finale.

I think Jerrell was the 4th person. He was all by himself in his apartment and I think he was the one who drew faces on the grapefruit.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 4

WTF?? Season 5 was an all female finale: and season 6 was and all female final 4!

If we want to pretend PR just emerged on this Bravo reboot… then Christian has no viable name value.

I know Andy Cohen knows better.  

• Love 11

I didn’t like Kristina or Chasity’s looks. Coral has not been my favorite but I thought her dress tonight was pretty and would look interesting and stand out to the wearer. Even when I was young and skinny I wouldn’t wear the baggy stuff Kristina designs. I can’t imagine having to fool around with all the ties and straps. Chasity’s dress was another Disney villain dress and not new or fresh. Shantall’s suit was ok but it didn’t look gender fluid to me it looked like a woman’s suit but not one you could wear to work. I’m usually excited by the fashion week finales but feel kind of blah this year because I’m not envisioning any surprises. I’m thinking Disney villain, macrame and baggy straps.

• Love 17

The only thing I liked about Christina’s (sp?) look was the bra top.  Not that I could wear it! 😂.  She said the top could be worn as a dress — how?  It was split down both sides.  And the pants looked way too baggy, way too long, and did not fit well.  The shoes were so clompy.

I wasn’t crazy about Shantall’s suit either.  Maybe I couldn’t see all the detail in it, but all the Drah-muh! was too much.  Agree with the comment above that someone with breasts would need to wear something under it, too.

Coral surprised me and I liked her outfit.

I though Chasity’s dress was pretty, minus the sequins or beading, which was too much.  I like beading, but that was a lot.  I understand the criticisms mentioned here, though.

Was not surprised that All Four! Were Going to Fashion Week!  

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 9

Kristina’s garment reminded me of what I used to do with handkerchiefs on my dolls. 
I didn’t like that they left Chasity thinking she was out.  Cruel.

Edited by sheshark
  • LOL 6
  • Love 14

Ugh, I was hoping they wouldn't cop out and not send anyone home, but, of course, throughout the ep, I knew they'd cop out and not send anyone home. And what was with that super sekrit conference amongst the judges with the contestants standing right there on the runway? So hokey.

I would've cut Chastity loose. While a perfectly serviceable dress, there was nothing fashion future about that design. It looked old. Maybe in a different color and without those shoulders, but... Nope, still not fashion future. In the hundred years this season has been on, I've seen little creativity from Chastity, but maybe lack of sleep and time worked against her. Maybe with five months and $10,000, we'll get a decent collection from her, but, as it stands now, I have no desire to see one from her.

I liked Coral's design a lot and could see in it what she was saying about new and old, but it was verging on costume, especially with that neckpiece. Kristina's aesthetic is not my aesthetic, but I have liked a few of her designs and I do think she's creative and more modern. I understand what she said about wanting her designs this season to have a cohesive feel, but I'm glad the judges told her they want to see something new from her at FW. Shantall's seemed the most fashion future to me, but what the what with the judges tellling her they don't know what her aesthetic is? Oy.

Karlie Kloss, please stay! Nina, stay, go, whatever. Elaine and Brandon, just go.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

I knew they were going to have all four go. I thought Chasity should have been cut. When I saw her dress I thought it looked old-fashioned, kind of 19th-century governess merged with 80s Falconcrest gown.

ITA. When I saw her finished gown, the first thing that popped into my head was “Mrs. Danvers!” (Not a governess but close enough. 😀)

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

When Christian told Chastity to lose a bunch of sequins, she should have gotten the message. Or he should have just spelled out ALL the sequins.

I didn’t like macrame the first time, so when the “fashion advisors” told Coral how much they liked it, 🤢

Kristina is locked and loaded on that flowy tablecloth look. Meh. Even the purse feels extraneous and repetitive at this point.

• Love 13

I am so tired of Christian telling the designers what color they should use or what pieces they should or shouldn't make. Somewhere along the way he forgot that it's supposed to be their vision, right or wrong, & not his & how he would make the garment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

Everyone goes to Fashion Week. Laaaame, and entirely predictable. Kristina's outfit was horrible. Nothing creative or fashion forward about a tablecloth with drawstrings. Chasity's looked much better in the workroom before she added the sequins. Coral used premade trim in half her garment and a neckpiece that was maybe inspired by GoT. Shantall had a pretty idea but the open parts of the jacket gaped weirdly as the model moved. Is the finale one episode or two?

Assignment: Show us the best you.

Christian: Why don't you make this thing that's completely not you.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Did anybody else notice that Karlie Kloss's pantsuit had the same style slits in the sleeves and legs as Shantal's?  I like Shantal, but obviously she was dialed into a trend.

While I think the execution of Chasity's gown was a little, I don't know how to say this, crowded around where the bead trim was applied?  I must be a fuddy-duddy with no taste, but other than that beading weirdness I thought her design was lovely.

Coral's macrame Etsy schtick is not my thing, but she really leaned into it tonight and I thought that design was the best use of it yet.  

Unfortunately, I think Kristina has been devolving rather than improving these last few weeks.  At one point I thought she might win this thing, but that was one hot mess she sent down the runway.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Macrame is not the future. 

Our very non-Mexican house was decorated with tons of Macrame in the 70s. It went well with the avocado appliances and shag carpet. As a child, i had many Macrame jewelry pieces and some articles of clothing,  like vests, in Macrame. I learned to do some Macrame. Many of us did. 

LOL DR ! Hand up here ! I did a ton of macrame back in the 70's too! Sheesh, all those plant hangers, and wall art while wearing my bellbottoms and clogs. 

Cannot add much more to the above comments about this challenge. I see many of us agree. It was vague and all four disappointed.

Chastity's dress was costume-y. Was she designing for a Broadway show ? Or a historic period series on PBS ? Frankly I think all four were uninspired. While I think Shantall is the best, and very skilled and talented, her suit needed better tailoring and thus a better fit. I think she pretty much admitted that - and that she tried to do too much with little time. Kristina's picnic outfit.....same, same, same look from her all season.

I miss Michael Kors. He always nailed the criticism. What was right, what was wrong. 

Five months and $10 grand ? We had better see some inspired and new fashion.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the models who aren't named Didi and Mimi have been getting the short end of the stick from this show.  

Totally agree.  I don’t even know the other models’ names.  Every time DD or Mimi walk down the runway I feel like they get showered with cat calls and “Workit, Grrrl!!” from the judges.  Other than being trans or non-binary and super thin and flat chested, I don’t find them any more or less remarkable than the other models.  And for all Nina and Elaine’s babbling about inclusion, diversity, and breaking down barriers in fashion, they are full of shit.  The skinniest models get the praise, and most often, the win or Top 3. I don’t think PR needs to have all size 14-18 models, but it would be nice to see a true range in shapes and sizes.  Instead we get to see a “range” from size 000 to 1, and then one or two “plus size”.  There are plenty of size 8-22 people who can wear the Hell out of clothes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20

As soon as Chastity starting designing another DynastyFalconCrestSexyPromDress, the writing was on the wall for no eliminations ‘cause there was no way they were sending her home.

Did anyone else notice that while they were being given the brief by Nina and Christian how the camera lovingly stayed on Chastity’s face with brief shots of a very tired looking Kristina, and then they only showed Shantall and Coral in the long shots? This season is Chastity’s to lose, though I’m not sure what she’d have to show at fashion week to officially lose because she’s shown mostly pedestrian, over-designed losing looks all season and here she is, front runner in the finale.

This was not my favorite Shantall look this week, but she is by far my favorite contestant. Alternatively, this was Coral’s best week and look, but she still continues to bore me (though I am fascinated by her shiny, shiny smooth hair). Kristina is a one way monkey, but her way least different than everything that’s already out there. Unpopular opinion, but when they reviewed all of the prior looks, I was shocked by how much I liked several of them and their modernity. 

Anyway, of the remaining designers I’m only interested in seeing what Shantall and Kristina produce with more time. I fear for Coral’s poor little fingers from the amount of knots she’ll tie over the next five months.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

Interesting that when the designers got to chose their model they picked the skinny, tall, flat chested models. No surprise all four get to go to fashion week since none of judges said anything that critical.

I had to agree with Elaine that Chasity’s design looked dated. I’ve seen that look so many, many times. I don’t get the macramé look Coral always does, it’s so artsy fartsy. Kristina has done that toga look so many times, I don’t personally like that. Shantall’s white suit was ok but if you actually have breasts you could not have worn that unless you have some kind of top underneath. 
I am looking forward to the finale, no clue who might win it. 

You are so on point with all of this, especially the first sentence. I just watched the after show where Christian interviewed DiDi and Mimi. I knew Didi was exceptionally tall (even for a model ) and has a very narrow frame and is flat chested, but getting a close up look a Mimi... she is absolutely emaciated! I was quite surprised.

Take any of those looks and put them on a 5'.5" woman who wears a size 10  and then  we'll see  if they look good? Of course the actual  stats of the average woman in the USA 5'4" and size 16.  The difficulty factor in conceiving designs and fitting them to models so tall with so few curves is a lot lower than if that were not the case and I think to keep pretending such is not the case is utter bullshit!

It's like when  it was figured out that taking a Barbie doll's proportions and scaling them up to human size would result in some freakishly tall person with an impossibly small waist  large breasts and loooong legs... her waist would be 4" smaller than her head! That's why no matter how many different outfits you see Barbie in, she never looks dumpy.

If your fashions  for women have to be shown on people who are even taller and thinner  than the average female fashion model to look good, I think you have a whole lot more to learn about designing and constructing clothes. Have we yet seen anyone make a properly fitted garment that looked well on a plus size i.e. real world woman?

It's not impossible. Costume designer Tiffany Hasbourne made  a whole season full  of   luxurious looks  for  actress Uzo Aduba who  starred  as Dr. Brooke Taylor in In Treatment season 4, and she is average height and I'm guessing wears a size 14, possibly 16.  The costume designer didn't make  a bunch of tent like dresses or lean heavily on black. There were jewel tones and shades of white, cream and pale gray.

As I stated  a thread or two ago, the best  way to even the playing field and make it so everyone is answering the same challenge would be for each designer to have to show their looks on  both a traditionally proportioned fashion model and a plus size one.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, sheshark said:

I didn’t like that they left Chasity thinking she was out.  Cruel.

Except it only took a nanosecond for anyone who watches this show to know she wasn't out.  They don't announce outs that way.

There was no discussion shown about the garments among just the judges, no, "We've made our decision, then."  That's when I knew they were all in.  Maybe they didn't want to have to justify any decision?  Lame, lame, lame.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, backgroundnoise said:

Except it only took a nanosecond for anyone who watches this show to know she wasn't out.  They don't announce outs that way.

I knew, you knew, but you could see she did not know.  She looked bereft. And she is an emotional person.  Felt for her.

• Love 5

Oh, the fix is in for Chasity.  Maybe she'd like to be a Supreme Court justice, too!  😀

Of the runway looks, Coral's was actually the one I liked best.  Yes, macrame is a schtick.  No, I would never wear it.  No, I don't know anyone who would ever wear it.  But, yes—there certainly are people who would wear it, and I've never seen anything like it on the red carpet—though, admittedly, I don't keep close track of what people wear on red carpets—so you know:  unique!

Shantall's was honestly a mess.  Any woman with a normal-sized ass would have a hard time with that jacket—'cause the jacket would hit them on the ass every time they moved, and every fiber of their being would be longing to ask, Does this jacket make my ass look fat?, even though that question is now so politically un-correct that the Thought Police would instantly materialize and drag them away in chains.

Chasity's dress looked like something you might wear to Elton John's funeral.

And the only part of Kristina's look that I liked was the bag.  Purses designed to look like paper bags is a brilliant fashion concept!  She could make a fortune on that one!  Unfortunately, the outfit itself looked like a picnic tablecloth.  Bring on the tasty condiments!, thought I.

• LOL 7
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Maximona said:

Unfortunately, the outfit itself looked like a picnic tablecloth.  Bring on the tasty condiments!, thought I.

Bring on the ants! Christina said that the over-thing could be converted into a dress, but she didn't show that and I couldn't quite figure it out. Plus it would be a dopey looking dress with one sleeve. I'm not a fan of the one sleeve look. Give me symmetry or give me death!

All four outfits looked great coming down the runway, on the super skinny models. sigh. That's life in the fashion industry. My mother was a model (for Christian Dior, no less) back in the late '40s and early '50s and that has never changed. Of course back then models were considered barely human. They even called them mannequins. They were purposefully anonymous, because when you looked at them, all you were supposed to see was the clothes. Then, Twiggy came along, and suddenly models became celebrities. My mom was never a photography model though, strictly runway, so she would never have been a supermodel. But she did get to be the "Bride" at the end of a Dior fashion show once, which is as close as one could get, in those days. 

I was happy to see that all four got to go to fashion week. It always seems cruel when they eliminate that last person before the finale, though that's the way these shows are structured. Each outfit had at least one critic among the judges, but none were bad enough to break somebody's heart over. 

I love Christian, but his hair drives me crazy. Embrace your baldness, Christian. Comb-overs fool nobody and just look weird and unnatural. I'll bet if he saw that hairdo on somebody else, he'd have a thing or two to say about it. I think his critiques, especially in Mood, are done out of love and concern, but sometimes you just have to stick to your guns and follow your plan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

The judging is always contradictory word salad.  They speak fashion copy. 

And those CFDA "mentors."

Everything out of every mouth was complete nonsensical hokum, with the exception of Christian in the work room.

Someone please remove the exhausted werk girl from the industry's vocabulary.

Yesterday I went down a rabbit hole reading about the CFDA Fashion Fund, which was a series briefly. CFDA and Project Runway flirt with each other, but an observer said that CFDA has kept a careful distance because it is about fashion and PR is about putting on a TV show. The shade.

Chasity's was Nancy Kerrigan-personified. I remember how I loved Chasity's earlier smoky blue jumpsuit. Where did that aesthetic go? I think she's flat out marketing her evening gown brand at this point.

Kristina's essentially doing the same thing. Well, and Coral.

All of them could have elevated their looks if production would give them enough time.

Shantall for the win please.

Elaine's's get-up was especially silly. I liked seeing Nina in the lavender.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

"You centered the non-binary body."

And I believe Elaine thought this made sense.

How that read "non-binary" is beyond me. Unless guys don't mind their boobies showing through the cut-outs on a jacket. A peplum says "guy or gal"???? It says mother of the bride to me. (and definitely not father of the bride.) That was my absolute least favorite, second only to Chasity's "Dynasty" gown (though it was pretty). I thought only Christina made something "new and fresh," though I agree that no one wants to go from "pulling on a pair of sweats" to "figuring out how all these ties work."

3 hours ago, millennium said:

I think the models who aren't named Didi and Mimi have been getting the short end of the stick from this show

well I learned from the leotard that DD was wearing to the fitting that they definitely have "a package."

1 hour ago, BloggerAloud said:

Also CFDA didn't really do any favors with those walk arounds

at one time they were talking past one another. For Coral: (First mentor): I think the bold colors are your strongest play. (Other mentor): I think your black with a pop of color are most sellable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

It's not impossible. Costume designer Tiffany Hasbourne made  a whole season full  of   luxurious looks  for  actress Uzo Aduba who  starred  as Dr. Brooke Taylor in In Treatment season 4, and she is average height and I'm guessing wears a size 14, possibly 16.  The costume designer didn't make  a bunch of tent like dresses or lean heavily on black. There were jewel tones and shades of white, cream and pale gray.

Uzo is beautiful, but she's not a 14/16. She's more likely a 10/12. She's also 5'7". The camera adds pounds. She does look great and wear clothes well, but she's not a size 16 and only 5'3". Melissa McCarthy is much closer to average height/size at 5'2" and size 14. 

1 hour ago, Maximona said:

This made me snort. I'm so sick of hearing about making a woman look strong, especially look strong by wearing black. Ugh. No one says, "I want Hugh Jackman to feel like a strong, powerful man, so I'm putting him in a black suit." What the fuck? Can we change the narrative about women? Stop talking about making women look strong and just acknowledge that women are strong and we just want to look pretty?

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t believe all the smoke they blew over Christina’s mess.  Team Shantall. 

They also spent an inordinate amount of time on Chastity and her "story" no-one else received that same amount of attention.  Christina's was a hot mess,  I don't get the praise at all.

Team Shantall here too, but I suspect that's not how its going to go. 

Edited by jrzy
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Maximona said:

Oh, the fix is in for Chasity.  Maybe she'd like to be a Supreme Court justice, too!  😀

Of the runway looks, Coral's was actually the one I liked best.  Yes, macrame is a schtick.  No, I would never wear it.  No, I don't know anyone who would ever wear it.  But, yes—there certainly are people who would wear it, and I've never seen anything like it on the red carpet—though, admittedly, I don't keep close track of what people wear on red carpets—so you know:  unique!

Shantall's was honestly a mess.  Any woman with a normal-sized ass would have a hard time with that jacket—'cause the jacket would hit them on the ass every time they moved, and every fiber of their being would be longing to ask, Does this jacket make my ass look fat?, even though that question is now so politically un-correct that the Thought Police would instantly materialize and drag them away in chains.

And the only part of Kristina's look that I liked was the bag.  Purses designed to look like paper bags is a brilliant fashion concept!  She could make a fortune on that one!  Unfortunately, the outfit itself looked like a picnic tablecloth.  Bring on the tasty condiments!, thought I.

I thought all 4 were bad,  the worst looks they have created this season.  But the fix is in for Chastity for sure.  

• Love 9

They only have 1-2 days to do this final important look and they waste all this time with Christian barging in repeatedly to distract them and then those 2 women from whatever that fashion industry group is who really added nothing helpful .... just making me nervous that they would be able to finish their outfits.  

I really liked everything about Coral's outfit and appreciate her talent and also loved Chasity's, though she is not usually my favorite.

I love Shantall, but I thought this suit seemed poorly made, didn't fit the model, was not at all fashion forward and nothing special. 

Christina's seemed kind of basic (can't anyone just tie some material around their bosom?) and who's going to wear that anywhere?

I guess I am glad they all made it to fashion week because I think Shantall might have been the one to get cut.

Can we please get rid of Elaine and have Karlie Kloss be one of the judges?

• Love 10

I was more interested in the judges' and guests' clothing.  Nina should wear lavender/pink all the time. I found Elaine more tolerable with messy hair. The Black CFDA guest was actually cute, but Predator-style butt-length braids with church lady outfit and kitten heels? And the blonde-from behind, it looked like someone had literally tried to snatch her weave; and that Italian grandma shmatta with what looked like lace ankle socks and platform clogs? Such FASHION MAVENS. 

Is fashion for 'non binary bodies' the same as 'unisex' 50 years ago? So, so revolutionary.

Even Christian wasn't very interesting or funny this week 🥱

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Uzo is beautiful, but she's not a 14/16. She's more likely a 10/12. She's also 5'7". The camera adds pounds. She does look great and wear clothes well, but she's not a size 16 and only 5'3". Melissa McCarthy is much closer to average height/size at 5'2" and size 14. 

Weren't those some great clothes she wore in that series (if you saw it)?

I Googled right before I posted and info on her height and size varied wildly from site to site. Different links I encountered gave her height as 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8  and some of the sites with stats and photos look to be from an earlier time when she was considerably slimmer than she was on In Treatment s 4. In those photos I'd have guessed a 10, 12.

photo on L is at gala to honor Hilary Clinton 2015. On  R is from 2017

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVs9cW1oyJ2C8i0kbEi_6images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXlR4llQVF70KWND8AZTR

photo on L from 2021. on R doing a talk show appearance  in 2021  to promote In Treatment:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREpwos67BVy5MnBylvP1jimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYp4QrSEs5IJXNQhpeOhl

• LOL 1
  • Love 2