Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: The Sky Is the Limit

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

I wonder if the decision to keep all four designers was already made before the runway show.

Either it was made ahead of time or offered to the judges as a possibility. That’s not a decision that would be available to them without the producers' go-ahead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Kristina should have gone home; I couldn't believe it when she trotted out her same old 'boring top under half-wrap' look again.  She makes ugly clothes, not fashion.   I really liked Coral's dress, and think she will make an interesting collection.

• Love 11
On 1/29/2022 at 11:49 AM, AZChristian said:

After Wretched Gretchen ("Wretchen") won her season, I stopped watching PR for several years.  If Chasity wins I would stop again.  Fortunately, I'm out west, so I'll know before the episode starts here whether to delete it without watching, and then remove it from the "record new episodes" function on my DVR.

Oh that's so funny,  that's exactly what I did too!  Gretchen winning ruined the show for me. I passed for quite a few seasons.  Have watched intermittently ever since.

• Love 2

I finally had an opportunity to watch this, boy do I have some thoughts!

I've been following the whole runway model discussion and I guess I see runway as the idealized version of the designer's vision. Most designers have a RTW line for the average women, including Christian. I will say that personally I'd pick Mimi every time if given the choice because she makes the clothes come to life and project runway is lucky to have her.

now to the clothes.

least favorite Chritina? I mean what was that. The baggy mom jean is having a moment right now, so I didn't mind them, and the top was cute in a junior type of way, and I did like the bag, but there isn't anything really new about any of it. I do like her modular style of dressing, and I do like her mix of patterns, but girl needs an editor... call me boo. Her runway could be cool could be a trainwreck.

Chasity. The eighties called they want your whole design aesthetic back. I don't get it I haven't gotten it all season but the way the judges love on her I thought I must be missing something? I suspect we will see a whole runway of Disney princess villains... not new not innovative totally derivative. My guess is she will win...hope not.

Shantall. I really did not like this suit. The peplum, the fit, the slits... just not that great and she has done much better so I'm sure her show will be really good.

Coral surprised me a little how much I really liked her dress. I think she is on to something. If she can mix her ethnicity with her tailoring and macramé work, it could be really special and different. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what she does,

• Love 11

Some have said the judges couldn’t pick a loser. Or, truth told, a winner, which is why they all may as well go to fashion week. I still say Chastity’s tearful runway performance cinched her staying—it looked like the judges last-minute huddled but who knows what the editing monkeys did.

The 900-pound gorilla is that no one executed the brief. Three of them did their usual suspect and Karlie was wearing the 4th’s outfit. Maybe it wasn’t the future of fashion, but the future of this show? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, wake me, Christian, when it’s time to go to Mood—and see Swatch.

• Love 11

I've been watching old episodes while I work out and they've done the whole "You're all going to make collections" thing MANY times before so I was fully expecting that to happen again.  Sometimes they would "eliminate" someone after they bring them back by having a runway where they showed their 3 strongest looks before actually showing their collections (I put eliminate in quotes because obviously, the person simply showed at the fashion show as a decoy designer - they just knew ahead of time that they would not win.)  They're really just giving themselves more runway footage for the elimination episode.

After re-watching some of the older seasons, I will now model my extremely stylish tin foil hat while I tell you that I really believe the whole Tim Gunn or Christian Siriano Save is completely made up and decided by the judges.  You can always tell that there are certain designers who will NEVER win based on how the judges react to their designs (or possibly their personalities).  They are there to fill out the requisite number of shows that must be taped and are really the only ones in competition during the middle of the season- they are basically competing to see how many shows they will be in.  The "saved" designer is always eliminated before these "cannon fodder" designers and always for a design that the judges could justify saving if they wanted to.  The "Save" is really just to create DRAMA.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 1/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, SweetSable said:

We need a season where all of the models are this.  

@SweetSable I can't ❤❤❤❤❤ your comment enough times.

I've watched PR since the Heidi Klum days.  Perhaps, as I've grown older my taste has changed, but the "fashion" in the last three or four seasons have failed to wow me.  I too, would like to see some "real" sized women challenges (IIRC, past seasons had challenges involving real/non model women).

I'm not a fan of the one day workroom challenges.  I don't feel anyone can do their best when rushed/pressured.  The results of doing this is that talented designers ( i.e: Aaron) get hurried and one wrong outfit/bad decision gets them offed.  JMO YMMV.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

If these designs are the future of fashion count me out. 

Compared to the sweatsuits and pajamas many of us have been living in for two years, what we've seen this season on PR IS high fashion.  Sadly.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 1/28/2022 at 7:42 AM, rlc said:

As soon as Chastity starting designing another DynastyFalconCrestSexyPromDress, the writing was on the wall for no eliminations ‘cause there was no way they were sending her home.

Did anyone else notice that while they were being given the brief by Nina and Christian how the camera lovingly stayed on Chastity’s face with brief shots of a very tired looking Kristina, and then they only showed Shantall and Coral in the long shots? This season is Chastity’s to lose, though I’m not sure what she’d have to show at fashion week to officially lose because she’s shown mostly pedestrian, over-designed losing looks all season and here she is, front runner in the finale.
<snip>

Yes, I noticed, it's all very telegraphed. 

And I always considered black to be the neutralist of neutrals, when did it become a "power" color?  That's why every woman in the world has a "little black dress"; its whole purpose is to be so neutral that you can do anything with it to make it work for whatever you need it to work for.   Dress it up, dress it down.  Fade into the background by wearing "as is" or combining with other very neutral pieces/accessories OR combine it with a show piece that pops and everyone notices because the little black base is nothing but a canvass for whatever you put it with.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, Maximona said:

Oh, the fix is in for Chasity.  Maybe she'd like to be a Supreme Court justice, too!  😀
<snip>

Oh, the burn!  Love it.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, dleighg said:

<snip>
well I learned from the leotard that DD was wearing to the fitting that they definitely have "a package."
<snip>

YES, and once I saw it I could not unsee it and frankly I found it gross, just like I don't want to see camel toe I don't want anyone's "package" staring me in the face either.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, Emmeline said:

I was thinking last night that I dont remember the judges ever calling out to the models the way we’ve seen this season.  

That's because they really didn't except on very rare occasions and even then it was pretty subdued.  This year we've gotten it from the contestants and the judges but really only for our very special models, (just in case I have to point it out, those would be Mimi and Deedee).  I can't imagine how the other 2 models felt, after the obnoxious squawking from the gallery it was like the other 2 were walking at a funeral.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 1/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, Leeds said:

I loved the irony of the CFDA guest who so so knowingly reminded one of the contestants that "Print is an area that can be really tricky", all the while wearing an ugly, weird, zebra stripe print skirt which did her body type no favours. 

Thank you for reminding me of the thing that annoyed me the most about this episode. The White lady from CFDA was so annoying to me. Her bizarre affected speech--so annoying and pretentious.

Seeing Chasity's winning tiger striped dress again was a reminder that it was a good idea but a tacky-ass look. It was an embodiment of why Coco Chanel gave the advice to remove the last thing you put on. 

• Love 7
19 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

I've been watching old episodes while I work out and they've done the whole "You're all going to make collections" thing MANY times before so I was fully expecting that to happen again.  Sometimes they would "eliminate" someone after they bring them back by having a runway where they showed their 3 strongest looks before actually showing their collections (I put eliminate in quotes because obviously, the person simply showed at the fashion show as a decoy designer - they just knew ahead of time that they would not win.)  They're really just giving themselves more runway footage for the elimination episode.

After re-watching some of the older seasons, I will now model my extremely stylish tin foil hat while I tell you that I really believe the whole Tim Gunn or Christian Siriano Save is completely made up and decided by the judges.  You can always tell that there are certain designers who will NEVER win based on how the judges react to their designs (or possibly their personalities).  They are there to fill out the requisite number of shows that must be taped and are really the only ones in competition during the middle of the season- they are basically competing to see how many shows they will be in.  The "saved" designer is always eliminated before these "cannon fodder" designers and always for a design that the judges could justify saving if they wanted to.  The "Save" is really just to create DRAMA.

It may drama now, but per his book, originally it was a demand by Tim Gunn. He was often at odds with the judges choices and began calling them out on social media.  The show did not like that, so the Tim Gunn Save was created.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 1/31/2022 at 1:11 AM, buttersister said:

Some have said the judges couldn’t pick a loser. Or, truth told, a winner, which is why they all may as well go to fashion week. I still say Chastity’s tearful runway performance cinched her staying—it looked like the judges last-minute huddled but who knows what the editing monkeys did.

The 900-pound gorilla is that no one executed the brief. Three of them did their usual suspect and Karlie was wearing the 4th’s outfit. Maybe it wasn’t the future of fashion, but the future of this show? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz, wake me, Christian, when it’s time to go to Mood—and see Swatch.

Some season---was it this one or Season 13, which I recently watched---took the designers to Rome for inspiration. Yeah, right. Only one designer followed that requirement. 

It just hit me what will be the deciding factor for Chasity's finish: Whether or not the judges and the show want to promote a line with Disney. I'm 100% serious. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 5
On 1/30/2022 at 10:48 PM, DaphneCat said:

They are there to fill out the requisite number of shows that must be taped and are really the only ones in competition during the middle of the season- they are basically competing to see how many shows they will be in.  The "saved" designer is always eliminated before these "cannon fodder" designers and always for a design that the judges could justify saving if they wanted to.  The "Save" is really just to create DRAMA.

This was especially blatantly obvious this season with Shantall. When she was "eliminated" it was for a design that was miles above the other bottom look. Waaaaaaay contrived.

• Love 5
On 1/28/2022 at 2:04 AM, Desert Rat said:

Macrame is not the future. Coral is talking nonsense when she says macrame is part of her Mexican culture. No, it's not , Coral. Macrame originated in the ancient middle east and northern Africa. It was later very popular in Europe,  especially in Victorian England. It was hugely popular in the US in the 1970s. Our very non-Mexican house was decorated with tons of Macrame in the 70s. It went well with the avocado appliances and shag carpet. As a child, i had many Macrame jewelry pieces and some articles of clothing,  like vests, in Macrame. I learned to do some Macrame. Many of us did. I'm sure Coral grew up with Macrame in her home in Mexico. But she is wrong to suggest that Macrame and  her techniques are some unique Mexican cultural thing. 

So you know more about Coral's culture and upbringing than she does?  Doubtful.  Macrame has been in Mexico since the Spanish invasion and like all art forms it was incorporated into existing native traditions.  There are spectacular examples of it from Chiapas in particular.

I'm rooting for Shantall, though I'm looking forward to seeing what all four do with money and (most especially) time.

Christina's outfit looked like the clown clothes that other lady (Katie?) made earlier in the season, except with complicated strings.  Ugly.

ETA:  So the finale is one episode only?  Usually it's two.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 3

Well, this happened. Zzzzz......

They lie, lie, lie. I spent the entire episode distracted and annoyed that they have conveniently forgotten that this is NOT the first all female finale. How can Nina even say that with a straight face - the other judges weren't here for that, but she was!

Not one of these ladies made anything ground breaking or fashion forward:

Kristina's looked cheap, unwearable and basically the same thing she has done all season. One Way Monkey. Her pants looked like something from a 1970's Butterick pattern. Horrid. Who the fuck wears a swim suit top and baggy jeans with a weird "thing" over the top? Who is this woman and where the hell is she going? No one and nowhere I say. I cannot believe she spent $1,000 on that cheap get-up.

Coral's dress is a wearable art project. I don't understand the point of the chiffon skirt over the top of the shorter one. Nothing fashion forward happening there either.

I fail to see how Shantall's was "non-binary". It was definitely a woman's suit. What does non-binary clothing mean anyway? Is that the same thing as gender neutral? But props for the tailoring. I loved the pants. I hope she wins - I think she has the most potential.

Chasity made an evening gown. Again. Nothing ground breaking. Her business is making prom dresses which is perfectly fine - why does she need to be fashion forward? Watching her spin to explain how exactly this witchy prom dress was the future of fashion was ridiculous. Just do what you do.

The tongue bath given to these ladies was ridiculous. I would be fine if Karli K. came back.

• Love 11
On 1/27/2022 at 8:00 PM, backgroundnoise said:

Enough with the ETHNIC FEMALE power.  My head hurts from the constant bashing of this theme this season.  

Yes, who will think of the white men, so traditionally disadvantaged and oppressed throughout history? Poor little lambs having to endure not just the existence of, but celebration of the "ETHNIC FEMALE power." 

• Love 6