Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E13: The Sky Is the Limit

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I thought Chastity's outfit looked like a modest version of Cher's Bob Mackie look with the headdress.

Also CFDA didn't really do any favors with those walk arounds with the designers because it was a lot  "GO GIRL GIVE US NOTHING" energy from those two as they just used the most banal PR-speak of authenticity and be you and where you came from which is at best incredibly vague advice.

YES! 1986 Academy Awards Cher!

Xhttps://images.app.goo.gl/DQybD78hzcLxAP9t8

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

Kristina:  I do like her, but only when she uses expensive fabrics.  When she uses cotton, I just can't take it.

Chasity:  The only time I really liked her design was when she was paired up with Prajje.  Now that is someone that I believe is truly talented.

Coral:  God, for the most part I don't get it, and I feel nothing from her, but I finally liked her outfit this time around.

Shantell:  I don't really have complaints, except that I feel like the show has been shoving her down our throats since she was saved.

• Love 12

28 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I was more interested in the judges' and guests' clothing.  Nina should wear lavender/pink all the time. I found Elaine more tolerable with messy hair. The Black CFDA guest was actually cute, but Predator-style butt-length braids with church lady outfit and kitten heels? And the blonde-from behind, it looked like someone had literally tried to snatch her weave; and that Italian grandma shmatta with what looked like lace ankle socks and platform clogs? Such FASHION MAVENS. 

I loved the irony of the CFDA guest who so so knowingly reminded one of the contestants that "Print is an area that can be really tricky", all the while wearing an ugly, weird, zebra stripe print skirt which did her body type no favours. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

Color me shocked when none of the contestants chose a plus-sized model.

Also, given how much it has been talked about this season it was a bit of a surprise that none of the designers, in a challenge asking them to show us WHO they really are, chose a model with whom they shared an ethnicity. Even Coral and Chasity chose Asian and white models, respectively, and they were all about representing their heritage this episode. 

Overall a boring episode. 

I am rooting for Chantall or Coral. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Weren't those some great clothes she wore in that series (if you saw it)?

I Googled right before I posted and info on her height and size varied wildly from site to site. Different links I encountered gave her height as 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8  and some of the sites with stats and photos look to be from an earlier time when she was considerably slimmer than she was on In Treatment s 4. In those photos I'd have guessed a 10, 12.

photo on L is at gala to honor Hilary Clinton 2015. On  R is from 2017

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVs9cW1oyJ2C8i0kbEi_6images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXlR4llQVF70KWND8AZTR

photo on L from 2021. on R doing a talk show appearance  in 2021  to promote In Treatment:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREpwos67BVy5MnBylvP1jimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYp4QrSEs5IJXNQhpeOhl

Honestly, I think those looks are “with Spanx” and “without Spanx.” She also has great proportions, with the smaller waist. I didn’t watch the show, but I like Uzo’s clothes.

As a woman with a poor hip to waist ratio and a pancake style butt, my thoughts on all of these clothes are that they are not designed for me. I don’t have a cute booty to show off. I hate having something horrifically tight at my waist. Kristina’s giant mom jeans would have fallen right off me because I don’t have the butt to hold them up while I would have been oozing out of Shantall’s jacket because I have big boobs.

My top size is 8 higher than my pants size. So when people talk about dress size, I’m like “you mean that dress that totally flatters my boobs, but swims around my hips and legs?”

Clothes look better on women with standard proportions, especially women with smaller waists. 

At the same time, I’m not watching PR, or even watching fashion, to decide what looks good on me. I’m not into buying their stuff. I watch to see clothes I want to see on the red carpets. So the model variety, or lack thereof, doesn’t bother me. At the same time, looking at clothing on models who have less than 1% body fat doesn’t appeal to me. I want the models to look healthy, have proportions the designers can work with, and I want them to be able to walk.

But that nonsense of chitterchatter during runway shows on PR needs to fucking stop now. It’s creepy. 

• Love 12

Oh heavens, I fear for a macramé shortage much like the great TP shortage of 2020. I would hate to be a 20-something in a packed bar or club waiting in line to use the restroom for a 1/2 hour and then try to get out of all those straps on Christina's cloths, I probably would just pee on myself. I know that Chastity is a prom/wedding dress maker and that seems pretty much where she is stuck. For as much lining and cutting Shantelle did, it did not come across in her garment. I do think we would get more of an exciting collection with some of the eliminated designers then these four.

• Love 14

I'm so very underwhelmed at this point. Coral's looked like festival (bohemian) clothes that were coming out pre-pandemic. (I feel like it was 5+ years ago but I have no sense of time anymore!) I don't know how Shantall's centered genderfluid/non-binary - it looked solidly feminine to me? (As I think about it, Kristina's actually seemed way more genderfluid/non-binary...) I can appreciate Kristina's modular clothes and how much she whips out, but it doesn't work for me on the runway because it looks like someone who has to wear all of their clothes to pack them around. Chasity's was an interesting gown, but not all that exciting.

With the way the finale runways are done on this show, I am slightly optimistic that Coral and Chasity will have something decent in the finale - they have a lot of flowy clothes with movement. Kristina and Shantall could have interesting runways but I don't think the music/lights/layout of the typical Project Runway finale runway will support their work.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Christina's seemed kind of basic (can't anyone just tie some material around their bosom?) and who's going to wear that anywhere?

Very few women can pull off that top.  There is no sizing up to fit for the vast majority of us.  Which is why I don't understand why the judges did not call her out on it.  Why have the designers meet with the CFDA people and get advise about what sells when you ignore this?  The episode was wasted with the one-on-ones.  Whatever "advice" they dispensed was immediately ignored by the designers and by the judges.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

How that read "non-binary" is beyond me.

This. The show made such a big deal about having a non-binary model which, why? Like the models who identify as male or female, the non-binary model is there to wear what the designer gives them. It's all about the look; how the model identifies isn't even part of the equation.

A peplum reads female to me, too. I can see Billy Porter wearing Shantall's suit as gender fuck.

• Love 12

I forgot to mention the seamstresses that were provided this time.  None of the designers had any idea whatsoever how to utilize that resource, which was apparently only available for a certain amount of time.  Did the designers know they were going to have that assistance when they started their designs?  Because it seemed to me they were like "What?  Oh.  Ummm...  Here.  Do, uhhhh, this."  Shantal handed off her palazzo pants to the seamstress which should be very easy to put together.  I would think she'd prefer to use an experienced sewer for some of the more complicated bits with the jacket. 

I did crack up when one of the designers....Coral maybe?....was pretty much man'splaining how to sew some very simple thing to the seamstress, and said seamstress literally rolled her eyes at her when she wasn't looking. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, buttersister said:

When Christian told Chastity to lose a bunch of sequins, she should have gotten the message. Or he should have just spelled out ALL the sequins.

I agreed with Christian that her look when he first saw it was expensive looking and dramatic... with just that small beaded (sequined?) piece at the hip. Then, she blinged the living hell out of it, and it immediately turned cheap.

11 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Did anybody else notice that Karlie Kloss's pantsuit had the same style slits in the sleeves and legs as Shantal's?  I like Shantal, but obviously she was dialed into a trend.

Yeah, I noticed that.

5 hours ago, cinsays said:

Can we please get rid of Elaine and have Karlie Kloss be one of the judges?

I'm not even a fan of Karli, and I would trade her for Elaine in a heartbeat. With a designer to be named later.

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, carrps said:

I agreed with Christian that her look when he first saw it was expensive looking and dramatic... with just that small beaded (sequined?) piece at the hip. Then, she blinged the living hell out of it, and it immediately turned cheap.

Chasity's original look on the mannequin had some asymmetry across the bust with the cutouts and it did look interesting. Then it turned in a Maleficent dress. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Last year on Say Yes to the Dress, a bride bought a gown by “Kleinfeld’s first black designer.”  I don’t remember her name, but I remember they said she’d been a contestant on Project Runway, so Chasity has a career. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, BloggerAloud said:

I thought Chastity's outfit looked like a modest version of Cher's Bob Mackie look with the headdress.

Also CFDA didn't really do any favors with those walk arounds with the designers because it was a lot  "GO GIRL GIVE US NOTHING" energy from those two as they just used the most banal PR-speak of authenticity and be you and where you came from which is at best incredibly vague advice.

Yes! That's exactly what it reminded me of. She's made a few nice garments, but overall her stuff is very dated looking -- not like she's elevating or putting her spin on vintage looks, but aping designs from 30 or so years ago. I didn't recall that she mostly designs bridal and prom, but hearing that, it makes a little more sense why her stuff looks the way it does. Although I don't know who wants a prom dress or bridal gown from the 80s. Her beading is always too much. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Last year on Say Yes to the Dress, a bride bought a gown by “Kleinfeld’s first black designer.”  I don’t remember her name, but I remember they said she’d been a contestant on Project Runway, so Chasity has a career. 

Are you sure it wasn't Andrea Pitter, who won "Making the Cut"???

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think part of the problem with this season is that while there are some competent designers, and some I liked, I didn't have anyone I loved and was really rooting for. They were all either bland or annoying. I like it when I care who wins.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, GrannySmith said:

No,  they said Project Runway, or I wouldn’t have remembered it.  Now, I’m going to check. lol 

I tried googling "black designer kleinfeld project runway" and didn't find anything.  They mentioned Andrea Pitter from Making the Cut.

It would be fine if I'm wrong.  I like to get my one mistake each year out of the way early.  LOL.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

I tried googling "black designer kleinfeld project runway" and didn't find anything.  They mentioned Andrea Pitter from Making the Cut.

It would be fine if I'm wrong.  I like to get my one mistake each year out of the way early.  LOL.

I only found Andrea too. Could have sworn they said Project Runway. My bad. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Totally agree.  I don’t even know the other models’ names.  Every time DD or Mimi walk down the runway I feel like they get showered with cat calls and “Workit, Grrrl!!” from the judges.  Other than being trans or non-binary and super thin and flat chested, I don’t find them any more or less remarkable than the other models.  And for all Nina and Elaine’s babbling about inclusion, diversity, and breaking down barriers in fashion, they are full of shit.  The skinniest models get the praise, and most often, the win or Top 3. I don’t think PR needs to have all size 14-18 models, but it would be nice to see a true range in shapes and sizes.  Instead we get to see a “range” from size 000 to 1, and then one or two “plus size”.  There are plenty of size 8-22 people who can wear the Hell out of clothes. 

I was thinking last night that I dont remember the judges ever calling out to the models the way we’ve seen this season.  

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

was thinking last night that I dont remember the judges ever calling out to the models the way we’ve seen this season

seriously! This is not ANTM! It shouldn't (obviously, anyway) the model's job to sell the look. Why were they doing that? Totally weird. And (I may mis-recall) but it seemed liked the trans/non-binary models got the most love. I mean, whatever, but they really have an advantage in the flat chest/really tall department. I don't think they need extra props.

• Love 11
36 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I think part of the problem with this season is that while there are some competent designers, and some I liked, I didn't have anyone I loved and was really rooting for. They were all either bland or annoying. I like it when I care who wins.

One of the problems for me is that no designer who is just "competent" should be on the show.  

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Last year on Say Yes to the Dress, a bride bought a gown by “Kleinfeld’s first black designer.”  I don’t remember her name, but I remember they said she’d been a contestant on Project Runway.

I think you mean  Andrea Pitter, who won the second season of "Making The Cut",  Tim and Heidi's spin-off show (not to be mistaken for Project Runway!)

Kleinfields carries her line - Pantora.

1 hour ago, GrannySmith said:

No she won.  Making the cut. Season 2

I rolled my eyes so many times this episode that I now have a headache.  Oh well.  You all have covered all of my moments of disbelief.  Well, at least the producers and judges got the final four that they wanted.  It would have brought me much more enjoyment if all four designers could only have used plus sized models (I'm super plus sized so no shade to the models).  I believe that Chasity did not have a plus sized model at all during the season so it would have been interesting to see how she (and the other designers) would have adjusted.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

And I saw Swatch.

Swatch has always given me my biggest smile of the day.  Sweet Swatch, you are aging with dignity and the same lovability that you've brought to each and every PR season.   🥰  I love you, you sweet, darling lil dog!   🐾

• Love 10
13 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

And for all Nina and Elaine’s babbling about inclusion, diversity, and breaking down barriers in fashion, they are full of shit.  The skinniest models get the praise, and most often, the win or Top 3. I don’t think PR needs to have all size 14-18 models, but it would be nice to see a true range in shapes and sizes.  Instead we get to see a “range” from size 000 to 1, and then one or two “plus size”.  There are plenty of size 8-22 people who can wear the Hell out of clothes. 

I have no doubt that there are designers who can "work with size 8-22 people "who can wear the Hell out of clothes."  BUT -- I just wonder how many student designers have spent any time WORKING with or learning to work with plus-O-sized models.  Sad.  I truly wonder how many of Project Runway's contestants have EVER been challenged with the art of designing for any of the "REAL/PLUS" sized women that they are 'given' on the show.  The chosen designers should be forewarned that they will be required to come prepared to 'make ALL sized women models 'fashion forward." 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TzuShih said:

The chosen designers should be forewarned that they will be required to come prepared to 'make ALL sized women models 'fashion forward."

But they won't do it.  Just like you'd think that the folks going on The Amazing Race after all these seasons would learn to drive a stick before they go on or the folks going on Survivor would figure out how to make fire. But they don't.  They think they are special and it won't come up or they'll fairy magic the task through their great luck and talent. So with the designers and the over size 0 models. They never learn how to make a proper dart or that a skin tight outfit with cutouts or a flowing tent are not the greatest choices when you have a larger model. They just figure they'll get a very tall model with no breasts and when they don't they'll design for that frame anyway and hope it works. Pisses me off.

Kristina literally draped tablecloths over her model and called it a day. Authentic American clothes. So. Weird. She should have been sent home with no apology. Fortunately for her they were all so poorly conceived and done the judges couldn't figure out who was the worst of the badness and gave them all a pass. But Kristina should have gone home IMO.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I think Chasity just can’t help herself…she makes a gown, slashes parts of it, then adds beading/sequins around the cutouts.  It’s as tired as Coral’s macrame “signature” and Kristina’s baggy pants/bra top/flowing kimono-or-jacket.  I’m bored.

I’m bored too. Actually fell asleep during the runway show. 

It’s funny that many of us are bored but Nina isn’t. “Don’t bore Nina!” -Tim Gunn

How is that possible? 

• Love 8

I agree that Chasity should have lost the bling.  even the challenge she won--the animal print, she put silver and gold on it.  It totally cheapens anything she makes.  I liked Christina's pants.  liked Shantall's idea but didn't think it was well executed.  I like Coral but have had enough with the macrame. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

This. The show made such a big deal about having a non-binary model which, why? Like the models who identify as male or female, the non-binary model is there to wear what the designer gives them. It's all about the look; how the model identifies isn't even part of the equation.

A peplum reads female to me, too. I can see Billy Porter wearing Shantall's suit as gender fuck.

PR has always tried to make the models significant. But even adding ANTM and gossip columns, in the RW it's still all about the product---clothing; shoes; makeup; haircare; etc. 

Well, I've heard that sometimes the model is the product, but say no more, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!  

• Love 1

Forgive me but I thought they were supposed to make something different.  Every one of them stayed in their box and made the same crap they've been making all year.

Beige Macrame?  Check.   Bra made of material?  Check.  Disney gown?  Check.  White pants suit?  Eh...not so much.

I kept waiting to hear the dopey judges say..."we've seen that from you before".   

I knew they were going to keep all 4.  I'm glad they HAVE to pick a winner next week.  Good luck with that and it better be Shantall.

• Love 8

TeamShantall all the way.  The other three are so hit and miss with me.  Some more miss (Chasity, Christina), but really, I just feel Shantall is so much better than all of them. 

Which probably means Chasity will win and bust out in song.

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

I have been meaning to say this after every episode this season:

Christian - 1998 called and wants its boy band necklaces back.

That’s the issue with fashion people-what is old can be either fresh or dated depending on the narrative they want to advance. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

TeamShantall all the way.  The other three are so hit and miss with me.  Some more miss (Chasity, Christina), but really, I just feel Shantall is so much better than all of them. 

Which probably means Chasity will win and bust out in song.

After Wretched Gretchen ("Wretchen") won her season, I stopped watching PR for several years.  If Chasity wins I would stop again.  Fortunately, I'm out west, so I'll know before the episode starts here whether to delete it without watching, and then remove it from the "record new episodes" function on my DVR.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Forgive me but I thought they were supposed to make something different.  Every one of them stayed in their box and made the same crap they've been making all year.

Beige Macrame?  Check.   Bra made of material?  Check.  Disney gown?  Check.  White pants suit?  Eh...not so much.

I kept waiting to hear the dopey judges say..."we've seen that from you before".   

I knew they were going to keep all 4.  I'm glad they HAVE to pick a winner next week.  Good luck with that and it better be Shantall.

I remember some of the seasons where the judges assigned them something other than their usual garment. I think this group has made more similar looking items than previous seasons-nothing really stands out for me.

• Love 8
On 1/27/2022 at 10:47 PM, Madding crowd said:

Even when I was young and skinny I wouldn’t wear the baggy stuff Kristina designs. I can’t imagine having to fool around with all the ties and straps. 

I don't know who Kristina's "girl" is, but I know she stays away from elevator doors.  Subway doors.  Taxi doors.  Escalators.  Those dangling straps are not only puzzling, but dangerous!

On 1/28/2022 at 4:19 PM, carrps said:

I have to admit, I wasn't paying much attention during the second half of the episode.  I saw the dress with the embellishment at the hip and thought it was lovely, but when the finished garment walked, I was like "Whaaa?  What the hell happened??"  She really can't help herself, can she.

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

I don't know who Kristina's "girl" is, but I know she stays away from elevator doors.  Subway doors.  Taxi doors.  Escalators.  Those dangling straps are not only puzzling, but dangerous!

This! 

Not to mention, there was nothing flattering about that outfit.  The model looked lumpy and clumpy with that swath of fabric hanging across her body.  Those voluminous pants were hideous and frumpy, and made more so by the clunky shoes she put her in.  Kristina's outfit looked like a walking rag bag.

• Love 12