Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Go for the Gold… Sequin

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm confused. Are these outfits for skating in a short pairs program or sitting in a booth commenting? What works for one will not necessarily work for the other. 

Commentating.  Tara and Johnny haven’t competed in years and we’re never Pairs skaters.  They will be wearing these outfits when they are commentating on the Pairs short program.  

• Love 3

This was a difficult challenge. Johnny is known for over the top crazy outfits, but wanted something suited for TV commentator. I think Aaron’s jacket fit the bill for Johnny but none of the dresses looked right for Tara. To those who wondered if Johnny was too snarky for a TV commentator, he and Tara have been judging stuff on TV for years and he is always upbeat and pleasant. Really hated Octavio’s comments about Katie. His suggestions were awful too and he should have gone for his horrid jacket.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, heckkitty said:

Are we going to talk about the absolute trash that Coral sent down that runway? It looked like she wrapped a gold garbage bag around that model and tied some string around it. They have to have been safe only because the men's look in that pair was ok.  But I'd have put them in the bottom and offed her anyway; I was offended.

No kidding!  It was cut down to her navel, and the side slit was to the hip.  It was hideous.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

His teammate's design got criticized by Nina for too revealing of a neckline, yet both the victorious dress and a safe one were as or more revealing. 

I think the difference is that though winning dress had a deeper plunge, it was narrower and also not exposing bare skin because it was covered with the sheer fabric, whereas Shantell's blue dress had a wide and deep plunge to the neckline that was pretty revealing on a model with a smaller bust than Tara's.

I think Tara's dress drove the decision. Aaron's color scheme wasn’t as bright as Johnny might prefer, but he certainly channeled Johnny's style well.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Thumper said:

Brandon ( judge) is younger than Johnny???? 😳.  Didn’t Brandon say he watched Johnny perform when he (B) was 15???   Did I hear that incorrectly?  

12 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

Only by a few months.  Both were born in 1984.  Which makes me old enough to be their mother.

Biologically not out of the question for me to be their mother, but I wouldn't have been alive to type this because MY mother would have killed my 14-year-old self...  They would have both turned 15 in 1999, and Mr. Google tells me Johnny was still competing at the Junior level at that point, but whatevs, if Brandon was a wee figure skating nut he would've been aware of Johnny Weir when he debuted on the Senior scene in 2000 or so.

5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

---The winning dress per se was a keeper because of the decolletage and the swinging fringe action.

But it wasn't exactly perfect for a seated television host who wanted an interesting neckline, color, structure. 

2 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

I think the difference is that though winning dress had a deeper plunge, it was narrower and also not exposing bare skin because it was covered with the sheer fabric, whereas Shantell's blue dress had a wide and deep plunge to the neckline that was pretty revealing on a model with a smaller bust than Tara's.

I just kept thinking that Tara was going to need some boob tape and impeccable posture to avoid a wardrobe malfunction...

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I thought Johnny for sure wanted Aaron's outfit, I thought maybe each could be free to pick the looks they wanted so Tara could chose Anna's dress and Aaron could go for Aaron, I don't understand why they need it to match. 

I thought Bones' look was not really suited for Johnny, he's really white and a sheer blouse would not be necessarily suitable for television, I don't think the network would be that thrilled with this look. 

I wouldn't have liked to be paired with Katie, but Octavio was too domineering and condescending and, maybe subconsciously, he realized no matter what they would be in the bottom so he tried to make her dress as bad as possible so he would be safe. However, Katie didn't even object once so she's just as much to blame. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JapMo said:

I really disliked Octavio's comments. To say to the judges that she's been 'in the bottom several times' is so unprofessional and catty, ungentlemanly, whatever the word.   Side by side, Katie's wasn't good, but his was terrible. 

Aaron's knowledge of figure skating is charming.  I've liked him from the beginning and feel he's the most talented designer of the group.  

As soon as the two bottom teams were obvious, you could practically see Octavio planning out his defense and how he was going to try to blame Katie.  

I recognized all the references Aaron, made including knowing that Michelle Kwan did an exhibition number to "Fields of Gold" after she won the silver and lost to Tara.

I would think these kinds of assignments would be what designers aspire to, and yet so many did so badly at it.  Did they even look at the photos of Tara and Johnny and see what they wear? The two safe dresses were terrible, IMHO, although the men's jackets were nice.

• Love 16

I have to remind myself that they got $1200 for the challenge. The only pair that looked like they spent it was Anna & Bones. 

Didn't love Aaron's outfit as much as most here did, it was blah to me, but he's a lovely person. I've been underwhelmed by his clothes, they feel dated, but I hope he finds his challenge and at least wins one. 

Prajje is a good designer, maybe not the most original, but can fit clothes very well. It just feels like he complains and blames others a lot. This week it was getting stuck w/ Sabrina, last week it was his pattern was screwed up. etc. Maybe that's just his way.

Usually at this point in the show I have a favorite designer and am excited to see what they do each week. I don't this year. 

I liked:

- Kristina's Jacket (but not the gold lame turtleneck under it)

- Zayden's top. It was a lot (the bow!) but I liked the shapes and could see Johnny in it. Chasity's looked a little too much like a skating costume. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I recognized all the references Aaron, made including knowing that Michelle Kwan did an exhibition number to "Fields of Gold" after she won the silver and lost to Tara.

and now within one week I've seen two references to a nearly 30 year old song. (The other was the hilarious finale of "Only Murders in the Building."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

Gordeeva and Grinkov were wonderful and I wish we could have seen how they developed. The image is Torvill and Dean, my all time favorites.

The first time I watched her skate on her own after he so tragically died, I cried like a baby. They were so beautiful to watch.

• Love 15
11 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought the vest fabric came that way. Didn't they point it out as very expensive?

Katie should be considered a seamstress and not a designer if she only makes clothes for her own tastes.

Katie seems like a nice person, but to me she should stick with fabric design. Or maybe get into designing children's clothing.  She has that kind of aesthetic.  I absolutely did not like the way Octavio spoke to/about her, but I don't think he was trying to sabotage her so that he would be safe if they were in the bottom.  I believe he was trying to influence her to have a more adult/ less juvenile look.  To be honest, the strangest thing was when the judges were asking for her usual aesthetic, which they have hated in all previous episodes!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
16 hours ago, NYGirl said:

Aaron for the win!!!

I was wondering if they would have given him the win after he talked about how he has pix of them.  He really didn't seem quite over the top about it, but I could see the others grumbling that he won because he was such a suck-up.

I, too, hated Octavio trying to throw Katie under the bus.  I wonder if it backfired and he saved her, but then I remembered she was safe one time and at least one judge liked her dress.

One poster mentioned they said 18 months away and another said it was less than that--I forget the exact number.  I wonder if they edited it to make it look more recent/

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Johnny and Tara always look like they might be snarky and nasty commentators because of their sartorial flamboyance--especially Johnny--but they're both really quite sweet. 

I think she comes across as real, for me, he's just playing a part. He's just too OOT for me. And it's not his sexuality that bugs me, my daughter is married to a woman and our best man in 1977 was a gay man, one of our best friends. I just think Johnny is all pretend.

The white fringed dress...was a there a panel of skin colored mesh under the V? I couldn't tell.

Octavio is horrible. Katie, IMO, doesn't belong on this competition, but his comments about her at judging were beyond the pale.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

To be honest, the strangest thing was when the judges were asking for her usual aesthetic, which they have hated in all previous episodes!

Except with the Halloween gown challenge, where she was safe but Brandon specifically told he how good they thought her dress was.

2 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

The white fringed dress...was a there a panel of skin colored mesh under the V? I couldn't tell.

It was a very sheer white lining the v-neckline.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

I just think Johnny is all pretend.

Oh, I definitely think so too.  He's definitely playing a part, and the role that his costuming might imply is "bitchy queen" when he's really just upbeat and funny.  It creates a bit of dissonance.  I'll bet when he's kicking back at home in his sweats, he's still upbeat and funny, just not OTT.  Much like Lady Gaga and others of flamboyance in their "looks", I'll bet he can jam a trucker hat and sunglasses on and leave the house in cargo pants and a t-shirt and run errands in peace.

27 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Almost all the designs looked like matching skating costumes,

Word.

41 minutes ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Katie seems like a nice person, but to me she should stick with fabric design. Or maybe get into designing children's clothing.  She has that kind of aesthetic.  I absolutely did not like the way Octavio spoke to/about her, but I don't think he was trying to sabotage her so that he would be safe if they were in the bottom.  I believe he was trying to influence her to have a more adult/ less juvenile look.  To be honest, the strangest thing was when the judges were asking for her usual aesthetic, which they have hated in all previous episodes!

That also seemed odd to me.  There was Nina saying she'd noted and loved Katie's aesthetic and was looking forward to it, but didn't see it anywhere in what she put down the runway.  Which....wasn't that Nina rolling her eyes at Katie's designs in prior weeks?  Unless Nina is referring to Katie's aesthetic she has for when she's designing back home in Japan.  Maybe Nina likes her body of work, but not her hasty competition work?  I think Katie's kind of odd and juvenile aesthetic works well with a certain Japanese subculture, and I'm sure she does quite well designing and selling to them.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Octavio can take that giant hat and clown collar costume and gtfo my tv. He was in the top once for his Halloween hefty bag dress. That doesn’t make him a top tier contestant. He should have gone for ignoring the client’s request. And although I can’t stand Katie, he was a flaming jerk to her the whole time. No, Rainbow Bright doesn’t go to his clubs, but he made me feel sorry for her. But she needs to grow a spine. 

Octavio is too old and too pudgy to carry off the clothes/accessories he wears. He looks as ridiculous as Katie. Octavio is Bozo the 'Stache.

12 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I felt really bad for Sabrina.  She was in so much pain and worried about her look.  I feel like Prajje was showing his true colors again.  

Prajje is an ass. Negatively snarky without the design chops to back it up. I'd hate getting paired with him. 

Anyone remember Toller Cranston??? I was always so sad that his technical scores never rose to his artistic numbers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 19
3 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

There was Nina saying she'd noted and loved Katie's aesthetic and was looking forward to it, but didn't see it anywhere in what she put down the runway.

I thought Nina only said that she always knew which outfit was Katie's (not automatically a complement), but this time had no clue.  I was irked at Elaine's "We're waiting for you to show us who you are."  They know exactly what Katie designs, as she's sent clown clothes down the runway every week except this one.

It might have been rather amusing to see what Katie would have designed if not damped down, and see that walking next to Octavio's purple ruffle blimp.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of rheumatoid arthritis girl because she was obviously physically unable to continue. I don't think the issue was specifically with her artificial hip because artificial hips are pretty miraculous and the pain is gone immediately after surgery - speaking from experience. Since she had rheumatoid arthritis it would be everywhere else and heightened by stress and lack of sleep.

So Katie is Mormon which explains her clownish Sister Wife aesthetic sensibility. She is just cannon fodder and will be kept around until it is expedient to "auf" her because she provides some element of "differentness" At this point I still can't differentiate between all of the petite women with long dark hair. 

Obviously Katie is not PJ winner material but there is a good market for modest clothing - especially modest clothing that isn't matronly. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

If I'd been there, I would have added a pocket square for Terry Gannon to my design (skate fans will get that one!) Too funny that that closing ceremony outfit was Brandon Maxwell!

Again, a lot of ugly on that runway. I think if Aaron had put a lighter colored shirt under that jacket, they might have pulled it off because I liked that better for Johnny than Bones' outfit (although I know Johnny has worn something similar). They should have let them pull from either of the top teams.

I think most of the designers heard "figure skater" and not "commentator" because it sure seemed like they were trying to send them into the competition. Too funny that most of them were lost trying to figure out who they were and not who Gigi Haddid was because I couldn't pick her out of a line up.

31 minutes ago, carrps said:

Octavio is Bozo the 'Stache.

PERFECT!!

They should have randomly assigned Johnny or Tara to a designer and then had the two of them come around for the mentor walk. I found it funny that the judges were socially distanced - except Johnny and Tara!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Commentating.  Tara and Johnny haven’t competed in years and we’re never Pairs skaters.  They will be wearing these outfits when they are commentating on the Pairs short program.  

Ah, thanks. I knew they wouldn't compete but wondered if they were doing a special skate. But commentating makes more sense. 

2 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

To be honest, the strangest thing was when the judges were asking for her usual aesthetic, which they have hated in all previous episodes!

Heck, this week Nina was going on and on about listening to and being true to your own voice, but one of these weeks a designer will mention that they disregarded advice from Christian (or a client) in favor of listening to their voice and the judges will jump down their throat for it.

Didn't Katie say she'd never designed anything for anyone but herself before this? So her big-top aesthetic isn't even popular with clients in Japan. :sigh:

Edited by Norasuke
added the Katie comment
  • Love 4

I wonder if some of the designers ate Mexican for dinner, or maybe watched “Ferdinand” before bed?  Octavio made a hideous Mariachi jacket that even the most cartoony comic mariachi member wouldn’t wear.  Then we get the Matador costume.  Those were the two worst of a bad costume parade.  Katie’s frumpy dress was just awful, like most of her stuff. Her model looked absolutely mortified to have to walk that mess down the catwalk.  I can’t believe Nina was encouraging her to do her stupid collars and Rainbow Brite doodads.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Johnny is known for over the top crazy outfits, but wanted something suited for TV commentator.

So now he wants to start this?  lol  I found none of the garments to be particularly interesting, pleasing, or even conforming to the requirements of the challenge.  Party of one perhaps, but I didn't find either winning look compelling, and despite their words after the judging was announced, I didn't think it looked like Tara or Johnny were bowled over by anything they saw either.  Oh well, every season has its dog of an episode, and hopefully this was it.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

I was wondering if they would have given him the win after he talked about how he has pix of them.  He really didn't seem quite over the top about it, but I could see the others grumbling that he won because he was such a suck-up.

I, too, hated Octavio trying to throw Katie under the bus.  I wonder if it backfired and he saved her, but then I remembered she was safe one time and at least one judge liked her dress.

One poster mentioned they said 18 months away and another said it was less than that--I forget the exact number.  I wonder if they edited it to make it look more recent/

Okay, I'll  repeat! Tara said that the Olympics were "a few months" away. Not a year and a half! Now, did she tell a wee fib on the runway back in, say, June? DK, DC. 

• Love 4

I thought Prajje stood out as super mean.

Chasity’s stood out as frumpy—Michael Kors would have said MoB (meets Dorothy Hamill). The fabric, the color, the appliqués, which seem to be a thing of hers … not good. 

Chantall’s was a mess, I thought—or at least the jacket/vest was. And I thought her model didn’t do her any favors.

For a beautiful man, Bones’s get-ups are so odd to me. That wig looks like it’s been some places. Also I thought he revealed some major shortcomings in terms of skills.

Anna looks like the one to beat. not sure yet if I like her personality. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Okay, I'll  repeat! Tara said that the Olympics were "a few months" away. Not a year and a half! Now, did she tell a wee fib on the runway back in, say, June? DK, DC. 

It wasn’t Halloween when they did the haunted house challenge despite paying lip service to it, they don’t film Top Chef Thanksgiving episodes in November, we heard “one week you’re in, the next week you’re out” for umpteen seasons despite the challenges being filmed back to back, etc., etc. it’s all in service of the viewing timeline, not the filming timeline.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

As soon as the two bottom teams were obvious, you could practically see Octavio planning out his defense and how he was going to try to blame Katie.  

And to think after they all met backstage, Katie was absolving Octavio of the fact he tried to backstab her and practically falling all over herself telling him how much she likes him.  Yech.

Katie needs to stop letting everyone else undermine her confidence and start designing clothes for grown women and not Raggedy Ann.  She's not going to win and she knows it, but instead of just giving up, she should do everything she can to be the "spoiler" and force a few of the assholes that think they're so wonderful out before her. 

• Love 18
3 hours ago, carrps said:

Anyone remember Toller Cranston??? I was always so sad that his technical scores never rose to his artistic numbers.

Toller Cranston put the drama in figure skating.  Before him it was figures and standard skating movements, but he went full out drama.

He also designed figure skating costumes which upped the usual bland costumes to new originality.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Yes that’s why I said this was a difficult challenge. People know Johnny likes crazy things but they insisted it had to be appropriate for a TV commentator. As a result the outfits were neither crazy enough or decent fashion. 

I have seen him wear crazy stuff when he is doing commentary.  Maybe because this is the Olympics instead of Nationals or some other competition he has been told to tone it down.   I still think it will be interesting to see how their looks actually compare to what was on the runway.

Somehow I missed that Katie was designing for Japanese.  I thought she said she designed for herself. 

I thought everything was wrong for what the challenge was--even the winning dress looked like a long version of a skating costume.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Toller Cranston put the drama in figure skating.  Before him it was figures and standard skating movements, but he went full out drama.

He also designed figure skating costumes which upped the usual bland costumes to new originality.

I clearly remember his pink number entwined in roses. Not something seen before.

10 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Somehow I missed that Katie was designing for Japanese.  I thought she said she designed for herself.

To be clear, that is an assumption on my part.  She's a designer, she lives in Japan, her aesthetic seems to match a certain subsection of Japanese society.  Since that was clearly POOMA, I think you should ignore me.  I took a leap of logic and linked things together that perhaps I shouldn't have.  I took Nina's statement on the runway to imply she was familiar with Katie's aesthetic in a wider sense that just what she's shown up to that point on the runway.

Her bio on the Bravo Website says this:

"Katie Kortman’s muse is fine arts, and her girl is . . . herself. She is best known for her custom singular and colorful prints. Katie is married to an OB-GYN who works in the military and has four children. When her husband was moved to Bahrain, she decided to hone her sewing skills and ultimately fell in love with fashion. When her family came back to the United States, she was determined to never buy clothes again, which forced her to create and make her own clothes. She prides herself on designing ready-to-wear, colorful designs that a woman could slip on for many occasions. Most recently, her family has uprooted and moved to Japan due to her husband’s job. Katie is now focused on finding inspiration for her designs in her new cultural surroundings."  (emphasis mine)

I guess I took those emphasized phrases to imply that she is designing for others, and not just for herself.  If she only designs for herself, it further begs the question how she got on the show.  The phrase "best known for" certainly implies that she's known to a wide audience for her designs.  Katie does have a website where she sells stuff, but it is unclear if the website started before or after her Project Runway appearances.  If it is true that she's a rank amateur and is competing with folks who already have small scale design businesses, then that's.....really not fair.  Now I'm rooting for her as an underdog, even though I don't really like her designs.

I apologize for posting my speculation as fact.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Unless Nina is referring to Katie's aesthetic she has for when she's designing back home in Japan.  Maybe Nina likes her body of work, but not her hasty competition work?  I think Katie's kind of odd and juvenile aesthetic works well with a certain Japanese subculture, and I'm sure she does quite well designing and selling to them.

I think that Nina is savvy enough to realize that there is a unique niche for Katie in the fashion world.  Not everyone's cuppa tea, but I DO agree that Katie's "kind of odd and juvenile aesthetic" has a real place in Japan's current subculture. (Today was the first time that I noticed that Kate lives in Japan.)  Oddly enuf, while I'm not sure I'd wear all of her 'collection designs," I would definitely enjoy the fun of wearing some of the outfits she puts together for HERSELF on the show.  Her fashion aesthetic, I've noted, is slowly being embraced by quite a few ladies of NYC - all ages.  I hope she develops more self-confidence in her work -- and has fun with it!  (And P.S. I almost always wear headbands when my hair needs a lift!) 😃   (P.P. S.  "Boo" Octavio for your unkindness on the runway ... and for those clownish ruffles.)

• Love 8
17 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I feel like Prajje was showing his true colors again.

I was so glad the judges called him out on his awful bridesmaid ugly dress. He really thought that if they were in the bottom it was going to be all is partner's fault and without her he'd be in the top.  There are at last 4 people (him included) that I can't wait to be shown the door.

Oh, I generally like her but I didn't understand Kristina's (I think that's her name) big poufy valley of the dolls dress.  Then when her model came out and lifted up her leg at the end of the runway - just yikes!  Her dress was way too much fabric for Tara and the sleeves were too long and well poufy for commentary.  I don't remember what her partner made but it must've been good enough to safe them from the bottom.

I thought Chastity herself looked really pretty.  If nothing else Octavio can style hair!  But I was with Christian on her skirt.  She got lucky.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, heckkitty said:

Are we going to talk about the absolute trash that Coral sent down that runway? It looked like she wrapped a gold garbage bag around that model and tied some string around it. They have to have been safe only because the men's look in that pair was ok.  But I'd have put them in the bottom and offed her anyway; I was offended.

Thank you for bringing this up, but I think Kristy (Kristina) made the awful outfit for Tara, and Coral made the much better outfit for Johnny with the braiding. Coral has long dark hair, and Kristina has a Russian accent. Coral seems talented, Kristina not so much. It's too bad they labeled the designers in the wrong order on their photo.

Edited by Kenz
Watched excerpt from show to see if Coral made Johnny's outfit and she did.
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, heckkitty said:

I remember it!  It was horrible and unflattering.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Thank you for bringing this up. Coral ( Or was it Kristina instead? I think maybe Coral made the much better man's outfit???)  obviously did not listen to the fact that Tara should not be in a voluminous outfit. I haven't sewed anything since my 7th grade Home Ec. class simple shift dress (I'm old), but I could have wrapped a rope around gold fabric and made something better than that thing.

It may have been Kristina. Whoever it was needs to vamoosh

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I guess I took those emphasized phrases to imply that she is designing for others, and not just for herself.  If she only designs for herself, it further begs the question how she got on the show.  The phrase "best known for" certainly implies that she's known to a wide audience for her designs.  Katie does have a website where she sells stuff, but it is unclear if the website started before or after her Project Runway appearances.  If it is true that she's a rank amateur and is competing with folks who already have small scale design businesses, then that's.....really not fair.  Now I'm rooting for her as an underdog, even though I don't really like her designs.

Katie described in previous episodes how she has pretty much only made things for herself so far, but she posts photos of her stuff on social media (they showed some images onscreen), and has a decent number of followers. So she may not be marketing yet, but she’s getting her stuff seen, I guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1