Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Go for the Gold… Sequin

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Kenz said:

Thank you for bringing this up, but I think Kristy (Kristina) made the awful outfit for Tara, and Coral made the much better outfit for Johnny with the braiding. Coral has long dark hair, and Kristina has a Russian accent. Coral seems talented, Kristina not so much. It's too bad they labeled the designers in the wrong order on their photo.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I think Coral has some talent and her designs have been pretty good so far.  I remembered she has been adding macrame to some of her fashions and did the same for the jacket she designed for Johnny.  

• Love 4

I found it touching when Johnny Weir told Brandon he wore one of his designs at some high profile event, and that he'd bought it off the rack.

12 hours ago, Thumper said:

I liked Dick Button, too!  And Scott Hamilton.   😁

Back about 20 years ago, when cell phones were kind of a new thing, I was in the Target in Thousand Oaks, California, and there was some dumbass strolling down one of the big wide aisles that go to the back of the store, yammering loudly into his cell phone.  I walked by to give him a dirty look, and it was Scott Hamilton.  I was too surprised to execute the dirty look.

9 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I just kept thinking that Tara was going to need some boob tape and impeccable posture to avoid a wardrobe malfunction...

I am soooo tired of watching women being held hostage by their outfits when they're sitting. 

4 hours ago, Twopper said:

I thought everything was wrong for what the challenge was--even the winning dress looked like a long version of a skating costume.

I agree that everything was wrong.  I liked the dress that won, but not necessarily for the task is was supposed to be designed for.  And actually, I kind of think it should have been disqualified for using illusion.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I walked by to give him a dirty look, and it was Scott Hamilton.  I was too surprised to execute the dirty look.

I will always give him a pass because he was on the rink the day Sergei dropped dead of his heart attack.  From what I remember, Scott gave him CPR until the EMTs arrived.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Shantall did not help her look with the boots she chose for her model!

Realized the episode ran tonight because I saw Leslie Jones IG, where she cheered that Tara and Johnny were hosts.  She said Johnny smells so good, "like a heaven's cloud".

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Twopper said:
11 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Yes that’s why I said this was a difficult challenge. People know Johnny likes crazy things but they insisted it had to be appropriate for a TV commentator. As a result the outfits were neither crazy enough or decent fashion. 

I have seen him wear crazy stuff when he is doing commentary.  Maybe because this is the Olympics instead of Nationals or some other competition he has been told to tone it down.  

Yeah that confused me as well. AFAIR he is pretty over the top doing commentary (and I only watch figure skating at the Olympic level). 

Bones’ vest reminded me of a costume from the ‘90s “Flintstones” movie with John Goodman and Elizabeth Perkins. Something Fred might have worn out for a night on the town in Viva Rock Vegas. 

As awful as it was, I honestly thought the matador jacket was the “most Johnny.” I bet he secretly liked it a bit. Olé!

• LOL 12
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

He thinks he's on par with the judges and therefore allowed to make those kind of comments.  Arrogant ass.  Also, he's one-note and totally disregarded what Johnny and Tara said about not too voluminous because he just thinks his aesthetic is so superb that they would realize how wrong they were and yes, yes, of course that's exactly what should be worn.  He can also get the hell out of here with the stupid hats and his orange 'stache.

ITA with everything you said. I didn't care for him before, but after his treatment of Katie this week, and yet another ugly hat, I'm done with him and can't wait for him to go.

Katie might not be right for this show, but he was an absolute ass to her. When they show Katie's Insta pix, I actually find what she does interesting -- not my taste, but she is creative. 

• Love 22
On 11/11/2021 at 10:42 PM, Straycat80 said:

I used to like Octavio until he threw Katie under the bus while he was standing next to that purple ruffled monstrosity he created.

Truly all hat, no cattle. Part of this show's public relations is to try to convince the viewers that it has snared fabulous designers. Octavio is not one of them.

I'm disappointed we didn't get to see what Katie had in mind. There's no way she knows how to stand up to a red-moustached steamroller.

o say to the judges that she's been 'in the bottom several times' is so unprofessional and catty, ungentlemanly, whatever the word. 

The word rhymes with grasshole.

I think the right team won, given who will wear the clothes. Bones' chiffon shirt is pure Johnny. But goodgawdalmighty that Michael's vest was a horror. And it's too bad viewers won't see the bottom of Tara's white dress during her broadcast.

The beauty of Aaron's beading details would not have been visible to Tara's broadcast cameras.

Loved the fitted black jacket with the subtle gold accents rising up from the hem. But the accompanying gold dress was a horror.

Laughing at Chasity giving Christian the business.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I think the right team won, given who will wear the clothes. Bones' chiffon shirt is pure Johnny. But goodgawdalmighty that Michael's vest was a horror.

wasn't that the team that left some material behind at Mood? I wonder what the original plan was.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:

wasn't that the team that left some material behind at Mood? I wonder what the original plan was.

Yes they did not have the fabric they wanted. It seemed like she was taking the blame and that it was Bones who would have to compromise his outfit. From what we saw he didn’t whine or make her feel bad. He just did what he had to do to create w what he had. 

Edited by novhappy
Spelling
  • Love 15

Finally sat down to watch the show.

I found it interesting that Octavio broke every rule they were given and then proceeded to criticize Katie's look.  And then the judges put it right to him that there was NOTHING good about his look for this challenge, and built Katie back up by saying she SHOULD have done all the things that Octavio talked her out of.  Sadly, I don't think there's any humble pie on the menu at Octavio's house.

I liked Aaron and his partner's looks - but they would have been more successful in a lighter or brighter color scheme.

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I liked Aaron and his partner's looks - but they would have been more successful in a lighter or brighter color scheme.

Aaron's look played black on my (admittedy old and crappy) TV.  Maybe up close it looked more purple/black.  But 2 all-black outfits would not pop in the announcers booth.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Fretful said:

Aaron's look played black on my (admittedy old and crappy) TV.  Maybe up close it looked more purple/black.  But 2 all-black outfits would not pop in the announcers booth.

It was black with dark blue, and Shantell's dress was a dark navy blue. Aaron said they went with blue because Tara wore blue when she won the gold medal, but her skating dress was a lighter, brighter blue and that would’ve been less subdued and showed better on TV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

There was Nina saying she'd noted and loved Katie's aesthetic and was looking forward to it, but didn't see it anywhere in what she put down the runway.  Which....wasn't that Nina rolling her eyes at Katie's designs in prior weeks?

The judges drag Katie for her childish designs, so she second guesses herself and then the judges drag her for not "finding her voice".  So stick to your guns after we've told you your guns suck.  Okaaaay. 

Some of those outfits looked overwhelming on the tall models.  How would it look on more petite Tara and Johnny? And the ice dress looks like it's very cleavage-y so here's Tara sitting there with her girls hanging out while she's talking about the figure skaters.  

• Love 14

I was very disappointed in Prajje. First Sabrina mentions she hasn't designed for men before but Prajje also has not--so she agrees to do the male design. Prajje thanks her for taking one for the team but being a total jerk to her. 

Octavio also--a jerk.

Bonus points to Bones who was so calm with Anna who was very bossy. Normally that pairing would unravel but he adapted really well. 

• Love 14

Agree that both looks will be redesigned, at least somewhat. That always happens. We may not even recognize them when they’re worn.

If Katie is not currently designing for Japanese women, she should. And I mean this as no insult to the Japanese. But colorful, juvenile-looking things tend to be popular there. I think Hello Kitty is still a thing.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:05 PM, amarante said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of rheumatoid arthritis girl because she was obviously physically unable to continue. I don't think the issue was specifically with her artificial hip because artificial hips are pretty miraculous and the pain is gone immediately after surgery - speaking from experience.

Artificial hips are likely much different with someone who has RA. The disease makes the body attack itself, sometimes for no reason, but especially when a foreign body is detected. I would imagine she has had a very difficult time getting her body to accept the hip. Not to mention the normal, everyday pain that comes from RA. I felt for her.

22 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Michael Kors would have said MoB (meets Dorothy Hamill). 

I miss Michael Kors so much.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, caitmcg said:

It was black with dark blue, and Shantell's dress was a dark navy blue. Aaron said they went with blue because Tara wore blue when she won the gold medal, but her skating dress was a lighter, brighter blue and that would’ve been less subdued and showed better on TV.

Aaron's remarkable knowledge about figure skaters did not serve him well since he should have chosen any other color scheme that would show up well on TV.  No need to reference Tara's gold-medal winning look.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Is anyone also watching The Great British Baking Show?  There is a woman on the latest season named Lizzie who looks like a perfect Katie customer.

You are so right! 

• Love 5

Aw, I remember Dick Button and Johnny Weir as judges on the short-lived Skating with the Stars. I liked that show, but it's understandable it was short-lived. Apart from the ratings, I doubt it'd have been easy to find many "stars" willing and able to do that.

Five weeks in and I still don't know who some of these people are. "Who the heck is that?" is what I thought when Coral first appeared in the workroom this week. I have no memory of her from the previous weeks, at all, and... that's not good.

Wow, there was an abundance of riches for the bottom this week. I'd have made room for Chastity and Zayden in the bottom for judging. I literally laughed out loud when their designs first appeared on the runway. True, Sabrina's was the most egregious as a caricature of a skating costume, but you'd have to talk Chastity's on that score, too, and I don't think she even saw it.

Me, I'd have auf'ed Octavio. He completely ignored the brief of non-voluminous, don't overpower Tara, use color, either willfully or obliviously, I don't know. He didn't listen to his clients. He didn't work cooperatively with his teammate. He completely threw her under the bus during judging, all while completely ignoring the faults in his own design, either willfully or obliviously, again. He failed on every level this week and should've been sent packing.

But, really, that was a lot of ugly and unoriginality on that runway. Again. Even the winner's.  Nothing original in it, and I questioned the cream color if Tara and Johnny have to do any of their commentating against a backdrop of a white ice skating rink, but it was a pretty dress. On that score, I can see why it won when looking at the other offerings available.

I did feel sorry for Sabrina at the end. Not for her auf'ing - She wasn't gonna win this. - but she really looked like she was suffering physically.

I'm still liking Aaron - If only they'd used different colors this week so we could see the details in their designs. - and am not too worried he's flying under the radar, thus far. Dmitry did, too, during his initial season - I thought they'd never notice him! - and we know how that ended up.

• Love 17
On 11/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, SemiCharmedLife said:

I absolutely did not like the way Octavio spoke to/about her, but I don't think he was trying to sabotage her so that he would be safe if they were in the bottom.  I believe he was trying to influence her to have a more adult/ less juvenile look.  

Yeah, I don't think he was intentionally trying to sabotage her, at least not while they were in the workroom. (During judging is another matter.) But I don't think he was trying to positively or constructively influence her design and skills, either, so much as he was trying to impose his design aesthetic on her design.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Deskisamess said:

I think she comes across as real, for me, he's just playing a part. He's just too OOT for me. And it's not his sexuality that bugs me, my daughter is married to a woman and our best man in 1977 was a gay man, one of our best friends. I just think Johnny is all pretend.

I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to say one way or the other, but I do remember him as rather snarky and hard-nosed when he was a judge on Skating with the Stars. Sounds like he's changed his technique since then.

On 11/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, carrps said:

Anyone remember Toller Cranston??? I was always so sad that his technical scores never rose to his artistic numbers.

Yes! A man before his time. My fave is still Paul Wylie. I was so excited when I got to see him (and others) skate in person.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:35 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I didn't think it looked like Tara or Johnny were bowled over by anything they saw either.  Oh well, every season has its dog of an episode, and hopefully this was it.

I don't think they were, either. I also wondered how comfortable it would be for Tara to be sitting on that fringe for an extended length of time.

Sadly, I think this is a dog of a season. It's gonna have to work hard to change my opinion, but these designers seem mostly out of their depth. Maybe that's why we haven't had an unconventional materials challenge yet. At this point, I can't see that as being anything but a hot mess with these designers.

• Love 8
On 11/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Okay, I'll  repeat! Tara said that the Olympics were "a few months" away. Not a year and a half! Now, did she tell a wee fib on the runway back in, say, June? DK, DC. 

It's not exactly a wee fib, so much as that banter was all scripted. So the text was written knowing when this would air. She was supposed to be talking as though they were having the conversation this week, regardless of when it was filmed.

• Love 7
On 11/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, Lassus said:

HOWEVER, I did wonder a bit about Tara's height with that dress.  Is my amateur designer failing when I feel like it's going to lose.... something on a much shorter, curvier (yes, I know Tara's not particularly curvy herself, but she is curviER than the model) figure?  Or will it not be a thing and I'm just dumb?

I did too! She’s so little and the length seemed a bit wrong for her. I’m 5’4” and I don’t like any mid-length dresses/skirts on me at all (I’m a maxi or a mini, not a knee of calf). As for some of the other designs, outside of the fact that the bottom would not matter much, many of them looked too voluminous for her size. 

• Love 3

While I enjoy figure skating, I don't like Johnny Weir (at all) so this episode wasn't very exciting for me from the get go.  And then none of the resultant outfits matched what they asked for anyway!

Red moustache guy was a jerk, but regardless Katie wouldn't have taken any responsibility for her look.  Like Prajje, her shortcomings and failures are always due to something other than her own decisions.  Speaking of Prajje . . .

On 11/11/2021 at 9:41 PM, NYGirl said:

should have mentioned it to Prajie right away..maybe he could have helped?  I dunno.

I don't think if would've mattered.  Dude only thinks of himself.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:43 AM, SemiCharmedLife said:

I felt really bad for Sabrina.  She was in so much pain and worried about her look.  I feel like Prajje was showing his true colors again. 

Agreed.  He's the guy who is shitty, realizes people see him being shitty, and apologizes for being shitty.  Then, five minutes later, he's being shitty again.  I won't be sad when he's eliminated. 

I will miss Sabrina, though - she was sweet and had a unique perspective, and her health challenges can't have made the competition any easier.

On 11/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, JapMo said:

Katie needs to stop letting everyone else undermine her confidence and start designing clothes for grown women and not Raggedy Ann. 

An absolute perfect description of her style!

• Love 10

Probably an unpopular, uneducated opinion, but Christian is really starting to get on my nerves. I love him, but he spends way too much time in the workroom. Compared to Tim Gunn I think his observations are, more often than not, unhelpful. Maybe it’s editing, and Tim was also a constant presence, but I liked the fact that Tim tried to be as brief as possible with his visits, and looked to find some positive in whatever hot mess was cooking on the dress form. Christian, OTOH, seems to just want to walk around and play with people’s heads.

Edited by RoseAllDay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Laughing at Chasity giving Christian the business.

I’m loving the rapport between these two. They genuinely like and respect each other. Christian is having fun with the tongue-in-cheek snark, and Chastity gives it right back to him. 

• Love 9

I can do without Brandon’s whispered snark (no matter how deserved). Anna and Bones’s looks were stunning. Especially the dress. I always love 1920s vibe, and their use of white and style was so complementary. Vest..less is always more. Chantal and Aaron — nice defense against Elaine’s criticism. There was no doubt what the two looks belonged at the bottom this week. Katie…she is clearly not up for this, mentally and skillwise — too damn insecure and unsure of herself. Both looks were heavy-ugly. Sabrina’s look was just. too. much. Not edgy, just costum-ey. Johnny would have looked ridiculous in that. Sabrina is just like Katie.

I think they did Sabrina a huge favor. Rheumatoid arthritis can be debilitating, and stress can’t help. But how much more of Insecure Katie do we need to endure? She’s getting tiresome.

• Love 2

It also irks me when the show does an episode of "design for specific real human" and they don't get models with approximately the same measurements as that human. I know they usually use the same models all season, but it makes no sense to me when they do this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

I have criticized Katie in the past for clownish designs. However Octavio came off line an actual clown. Bright red’stache and massive novelty hat ( which of course Elaine loved…) matched with that ridiculous  outfit he designed underscores the fact that he also designs adjacent to the costume zone.

have these people never sat behind a desk?

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Probably an unpopular, uneducated opinion, but Christian is really starting to get on my nerves. I love him, but he spends way too much time in the workroom. Compared to Tim Gunn I think his observations are, more often than not, unhelpful. Maybe it’s editing, and Tim was also a constant presence, but I liked the fact that Tim tried to be as brief as possible with his visits, and looked to find some positive in whatever hot mess was cooking on the dress form. Christian, OTOH, seems to just want to walk around and play with people’s heads.

I grew to dislike Tim so much by the end, Christian still comes out far ahead IMO.  But I wish he would give more constructive criticism rather than, "Dooooo we like this?" kind of remarks.   He has a wealth of practical first-hand knowledge, both as a contestant and a successful designer with a varied clientele.  For example, he could have made more suggestions or at least hints about visualizing how their garments would look sitting on while on camera.  He seems to stray sometimes too far from helpful warnings, such as reminders about how unforgiving some fabrics can be, to just snarky variations of "Really?"

I still hold out a small hope that if he uses the save, it will be for a good reason.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

It also irks me when the show does an episode of "design for specific real human" and they don't get models with approximately the same measurements as that human. I know they usually use the same models all season, but it makes no sense to me when they do this.

Yes!  Especially since last season they had a bunch of Karlee clones as models for the challenge to design a dress for her to wear at an event, down to the blond hair.

That would be a perfect way to actually directly compare how designers address a very specific challenge.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I grew to dislike Tim so much by the end, Christian still comes out far ahead IMO. 

Come sit with me, as I loathe Tim Gunn!

I think most of Christian’s critiques are spot on.  He steers them to the fabrics they want in Mood, because he knows where everything is.  I never saw Tim do that.  He tries to steer them towards color (ironically, since his winning finale collection was largely black!), reminds them that certain fabrics are difficult or unforgiving, offers ideas, points out little flaws that will catch the judges eyes, and yes, sometimes he offers little more than, “Do we really like this?”, inviting them to step back and critique their own work.  It’s not his job to redesign their garment for them, it’s the designer’s job to take his feedback and use it to make their design better.

Tim Gunn got so full of himself that he ran from workroom to the judges, tattling that this designer took too many breaks, that designer wasn’t “hungry enough”, etc.  He inserted himself from mentoring to adjacent judging, and that was bad enough.  But then his blatant favoritism in “Under the Gunn” put him permanently on my “nope” list.  

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, backgroundnoise said:

I grew to dislike Tim so much by the end, Christian still comes out far ahead IMO.  But I wish he would give more constructive criticism rather than, "Dooooo we like this?" kind of remarks.   He has a wealth of practical first-hand knowledge, both as a contestant and a successful designer with a varied clientele.  For example, he could have made more suggestions or at least hints about visualizing how their garments would look sitting on while on camera.  He seems to stray sometimes too far from helpful warnings, such as reminders about how unforgiving some fabrics can be, to just snarky variations of "Really?"

I still hold out a small hope that if he uses the save, it will be for a good reason.

This is it. Exactly. Bones, while maybe too harsh, was right by basically telling people to not be intimidated by Christian. If what he says helps, use it; if it doesn’t, ignore it. I think this is 99% of Katie’s problem (other than being in over her head with this competition as the weeks pass). 

They obviously have to have some confidence in their ability and their aesthetic to make it on the show, but the stakes are so high, and they’re afraid of not listening to the “expert.” I do like Chasity’s interactions with Christian, while Katie just restarts from scratch and cowers in the corner. Gunn’s critiques, to me, never seemed to rattle the designers because he gave them things to think about. Christian seems to just stand there and judge.

YMMV.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, Refresh said:

Usually at this point in the show I have a favorite designer and am excited to see what they do each week. I don't this year. 

I said the same thing to my sister while we were watching the show. Usually at this point there's someone and usually a couple of someones who are rising above the herd. Nobody's looking like a winner at all.

14 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Yes! A man before his time. My fave is still Paul Wylie. I was so excited when I got to see him (and others) skate in person.

Paul Wylie was absolutely robbed in the Olympics. Petrenko stunk up the ice...he was especially lame trying to be sexy. But Wylie's long program that year was stunning and skated to perfection.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

Paul Wylie's free skate at Albertville in 1992. Talk about inspiration!

Thanks for posting that.  Paul was one of my favorites as well.  Not only was his technical ability so excellent, but his choreography was always superb - perfectly nuanced to go with the music.  There are so many of his performances that were breathtaking.

My favorite: Carmina Burana:

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, rhygirl720 said:

Is it me or is this  the most consistently ugly clothes on the runway ever in the history of project runway? There are always a few clunkers and WTF moments but holy smokes...If this is fashion count me out

I think so, but I missed a few seasons somewhere along the line.   I cannot believe they had $1200 to spend, and this was the result.  Better to give Tara and Johnny the same amount to buy clothes off the rack.  they would probably do better.

I think I would have been temped to do a somewhat flash outfit for Tara and a very toned down one for Johnny.  That would be the unexpected thing they wanted.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, RoseAllDay said:

Tim said in his book that he actually spent 3-4 hours in the workroom, but it was never shown.  The Tim Gunn Save was instituted under pressure from Tim.  He felt that sometimes the judges just got it wrong.  Four out of his five saves over the seasons made it to the finale.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

Tim said in his book that he actually spent 3-4 hours in the workroom, but it was never shown.  The Tim Gunn Save was instituted under pressure from Tim.  He felt that sometimes the judges just got it wrong.  Four out of his five saves over the seasons made it to the finale.

Yeah, I feel that we only see more of Christian is because the show is 90 minutes rather than 60. It allows more time for critique and workroom DRAMA! 😁

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, carrps said:

I said the same thing to my sister while we were watching the show. Usually at this point there's someone and usually a couple of someones who are rising above the herd. Nobody's looking like a winner at all.

If it's top three, I think it will be Anna, Chasity and Aaron.  If it's top four, add Zayden.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2021 at 4:49 PM, lilwhitelion said:

Aaron's remarkable knowledge about figure skaters did not serve him well since he should have chosen any other color scheme that would show up well on TV.  No need to reference Tara's gold-medal winning look.

I know they have little time, but a 2-3 minute google search has short articles on what not to wear for a tv appearance.  The idea is to dress for the camera, and not dress like you are in person.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

I know they have little time, but a 2-3 minute google search has short articles on what not to wear for a tv appearance.  The idea is to dress for the camera, and not dress like you are in person.

They’re really not allowed to engage in media or be online outside of what the producers prescribe, so they have to rely on the design knowledge and know-how they arrived with. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3