Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Go for the Gold… Sequin

• Start Topic

Figure skating icons Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir need looks for the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympics; the designers will compete in pairs and the winning looks will be worn by Tara and Johnny at the Olympics.

Original air date: November 11, 2022

• Useful 1

And again Aaron is denied!  I'm getting very angry now.  His suit was really nice.  The reason Anna and Bones won was clearly because of her beautiful dress.  Although Johnny loved Bone's chiffon shirt.  I don't know.

I thought we escaped the sob story but alas...I spoke too soon.  There was one..there it was.  We almost made it...almost...

I felt sorry for the girl with the artificial hip.  It must have been very painful.  She should have mentioned it to Prajie right away..maybe he could have helped?  I dunno.

Aaron for the win!!!

• Love 24

When one of the judges said she was tired of giving Katie second chances, I thought we were Katie-home free. But I guess she also mentioned Sabrina in that sentence, so one more week. (Although I felt for Katie with the collar and sleeves ongoing criticism--"we like it when it works" was a lame comeback.)

Johnny and Tara are a treat, though, so nobody bothered me as much as usual.

• Love 15

I was worried when Aaron got so much airtime that he was going home.  I’m very glad I was wrong.

I don’t understand what Nina sees in Katie, but Octavio’s glittery, OTT ruffles really did overwhelm her look, so I’m okay with her not being sent home this week.  But if she suddenly gets a redemption edit next week, I won’t be happy.

I continue to like Bones, but it looks as though he and Christian are going to go at it again next week, which 😕.  He really kept his cool with Anna, who has a very strong personality…I don’t think I could do that.

Some of these looks were just tragic.  All of those huge, poofy skirts for Tara…did they not get the “waist up” memo??

• Love 20
24 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

I was worried when Aaron got so much airtime that he was going home.  I’m very glad I was wrong.

I don’t understand what Nina sees in Katie, but Octavio’s glittery, OTT ruffles really did overwhelm her look, so I’m okay with her not being sent home this week.  But if she suddenly gets a redemption edit next week, I won’t be happy.

I continue to like Bones, but it looks as though he and Christian are going to go at it again next week, which 😕.  He really kept his cool with Anna, who has a very strong personality…I don’t think I could do that.

Some of these looks were just tragic.  All of those huge, poofy skirts for Tara…did they not get the “waist up” memo??

I know, right?  Not only was it specifically mentioned that Tara and Johnny needed more "zing" on the upper part of their outfits, but Tara Lapinski is somewhere between 5' and 5'1" tall.  She is very petite - those big poufy skirts would totally envelope her, and make her look weirdly disproportionate.   

Octavio's jacket reminded me of overly ruffled pantaloons that were worn as undergarments back in the 1800's, but in a very ugly color.  Either that, or one of those old fashioned toilet tissue covers that had a doll's body on the top that my grandmother and my great aunts all had them in their bathrooms back in the 1960's!

I don't get the Octavio love - I haven't liked anything he's done so far, and his throwing Katie under the bus immediately during his runway interview was horrible.  Katie's dress was definitely not my favorite and I thought for sure she would be going home.

I felt sorry for Aaron - he was so excited for this challenge, and I thought his outfit for Johnny was something that Johnny Weir would love, and apparently, he did.

I guess Johnny Weir may be mellowing with age.  When I saw him in the previews, I wasn't sure I wanted to watch because he used to be so snarky and mean - tonight, he was actually quite kind.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 19
28 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Brandon ( judge) is younger than Johnny???? 😳.  Didn’t Brandon say he watched Johnny perform when he (B) was 15???   Did I hear that incorrectly?  

Only by a few months.  Both were born in 1984.  Which makes me old enough to be their mother.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

I have seen what Johnny wears and I thought the matador-y outfit looked like some he would “totally” wear!!!  Very OTT!  And it showed from the waist up!  To me, he dresses very costume-y.  So, color me surprised.  

I loved the white flapper-style dress.  The matching Johnny outfit, not so much (especially the craft project vest)

I started watching the winter Olympics when Peggy Fleming won.   I feel so ancient.

I thought he would like the matador-y outfit, but there was no way that the judges would.

I loved the dress Tara chose, and I have a feeling she probably was the one who made the choice.  I think they may tweak her dress, and I am sure there will be some alterations to the outfit for Johnny.  Rework the vest and take off the tacky hardware and add some gold design to it. If they come out wearing these outfits exactly like we saw them tonight I will eat Octavio's hat.

Does anyone remember what program it was that they wanted them for.   I think they said a short program, but I don't know if it is the short program for men or women;  I doubt it is the one for pairs.

I was sure Katie was gone.  I know she designs mostly for herself, but if I were applying for this show I would spend a year or more watching old episodes and designing for some of the challenges just to get away from focusing on what you want to wear.  I used to sketch wedding dresses and formals during a lot of boring classes when I was in high school;  I also drew cats and flowers.   Since she is Mormon, she might want to focus on designs for women in her community.  I usually hate what she wears, although I thought what she wore to the runway on the previous episode wasn't as bad as her other clothes.

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Does anyone remember what program it was that they wanted them for.   I think they said a short program, but I don't know if it is the short program for men or women;  I doubt it is the one for pairs.

It was, in fact, the pairs short program.

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
35 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I believe they said Pairs Short Program.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Well, now we know ehen this was filmed….Tara and Johnny mentioned the Olympics were in 18 months.  They start Feb 2022.  So this was filmed 15 months ago.  

So many horrible outfits.  What part of the brief did they not understand.   Suitable for television.  Small confined working area.  Seen from the waist up.  

Tara said, "The 2022 Olympics are only a few months away [italics mine]...."

~~~~~~~

How did Bones find out what Iva Getty's wedding gown design was?! 😄 (Hint: Iva's gown had the exact same bits of broken mirrors on it!)

https://images.app.goo.gl/Utcnr8WCXxhbMBSy9

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Aaron and Shantall should have gone with something other than jet black and dark blue, the intricate details were lost. Lilac and dark purple beading? Grey and black? Something else.

I agree that there was not enough contrast in their color choices and the designs did not pop.  I agreed with the top four designers, but was confused by the two shade of white Bones used.  I think I would have liked a very subtle shade of ice blue for the blouse.  The vest fabric looked interesting while he was working on it, I wonder what happened to make it look "crafty?"  I loved the dress Anna made.  

I felt really bad for Sabrina.  She was in so much pain and worried about her look.  I feel like Prajje was showing his true colors again.  

Overall, I thought most of the designers did well this challenge, much better than past episodes.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, jacksgirl said:

Two more thoughts.

1. Who will get the Siriano save?

2. Anybody remember the previous ice skating challenge? It's fuzzy to me, but didn't all the designers wear skating costumes? I remember Emmett in blue.

My favorite season.  They designed for Sasha Cohen. Emmett got the boot for his costume because Judge Anne said the length was vulgar and would show her crotch.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Twopper said:

I loved the dress Tara chose, and I have a feeling she probably was the one who made the choice.  I think they may tweak her dress, and I am sure there will be some alterations to the outfit for Johnny.  Rework the vest and take off the tacky hardware and add some gold design to it. If they come out wearing these outfits exactly like we saw them tonight I will eat Octavio's hat.

They said it was for the pairs short program.

I don't like white and off-white together, so I hope they change Johnny's shirt to either a champagne or gold.  For once I was in agreement with the top and bottom pairs.

Octavio completely disregarded the brief.  I think he heard voluminous and blocked out the "not too."  He also thinks black is a color.  He steamrolled over Katie; she did try to contradict him, but not hard enough.  But I doubt anything Katie came up with on her own would have been appropriate either.  Nothing she's done has been high end or sophisticated.  I just can't see her designing anything Tara would want to wear.

• Love 16

This episode was boring. 

---The winning dress per se was a keeper because of the decolletage and the swinging fringe action.

But it wasn't exactly perfect for a seated television host who wanted an interesting neckline, color, structure. 

Bones's complementary team outfit for Johnny was slightly more to the task at hand, but barely. 

Yet whose design was better than the winning one?! No-one's! "Best of a bad bunch," indeed.

---Speaking of "bunch(ed)": Octavio's top and Katie's skirt. Oy. Both in complete opposition to not be voluminous and to concentrate on the waist-up.

---Aaron designed an awesome jacket, but I think Johnny might prefer a brighter color combo than black and blue (haha). His teammate's design got criticized by Nina for too revealing of a neckline, yet both the victorious dress and a safe one were as or more revealing. 

---Here's  my main problem with tonight's challenge:

Why wasn't the task simply to design a WAIST-UP LOOK that would fit the occasion of the Winter Olympics? 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, jacksgirl said:

Anybody remember the previous ice skating challenge? It's fuzzy to me, but didn't all the designers wear skating costumes? I remember Emmett in blue.

I just rewatched S2.  Emmett was in hot pink.  He was eliminated that episode and as he was leaving, he turned around and asked, "Was it the shirt?"

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, TipseyGirl said:

Yep. It's a thing. Christian just announced last night he would be bringing back the Siriano Save.

Ugh.  I hate the save.  It's never done for it's stated purpose, but for DRAAAAAMMAA and pathos.  I can't think of a single recipient, either from Tim or Christian, who actually deserved it for the supposed reasons.

• Love 11

I did very much love the winning dress, it was gorgeous.  I didn't really love the men's look even without the crappy vest, but whatever.  (As much as I like Aaron, I didn't really LOVE his look, it was just a bit too dark.)

HOWEVER, I did wonder a bit about Tara's height with that dress.  Is my amateur designer failing when I feel like it's going to lose.... something on a much shorter, curvier (yes, I know Tara's not particularly curvy herself, but she is curviER than the model) figure?  Or will it not be a thing and I'm just dumb?

Edited by Lassus
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lassus said:
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

1. Who will get the Siriano save?

Nobody?  Have I missed that that's a thing this year

I wonder if he will make it available only on certain challenges. 

I liked Dick Button a lot better as an analyst than Johnny Weir, but that may be because I am old.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I liked Dick Button a lot better as an analyst than Johnny Weir, but that may be because I am old.

I loved Dick Button's comments on the ladies layback spins. Also, I miss layback spins.

Tara and Johnny were fine in the episode and that matador costume did need to go. There isn't a WOW talent in this season at all. 

• Love 9
20 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I liked Dick Button, too!  And Scott Hamilton.   😁

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Lassus said:

HOWEVER, I did wonder a bit about Tara's height with that dress.  Is my amateur designer failing when I feel like it's going to lose.... something on a much shorter, curvier (yes, I know Tara's not particularly curvy herself, but she is curviER than the model) figure?  Or will it not be a thing and I'm just dumb?

It's not height as much as it is proportion and Tara's height to leg ratio looks good. Looking at some pictures of her in street clothes, she seems to wear a variety of styles well.

35 minutes ago, Twopper said:

No, it's because you're right. 😉  Dick Button was actually informative.

17 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I loved Dick Button's comments on the ladies layback spins. Also, I miss layback spins.

And good technique that didn't involve mostly jumping around. Sometimes I just want to see grace and beauty.

td.jpg

• Love 18

Are we going to talk about the absolute trash that Coral sent down that runway? It looked like she wrapped a gold garbage bag around that model and tied some string around it. They have to have been safe only because the men's look in that pair was ok.  But I'd have put them in the bottom and offed her anyway; I was offended.

• LOL 2
  • Love 19