Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of gondola, Jitterbug, David Livingstone (before the wrong answer), Pearl Buck, The Jane Austen Book Club and marriage.

Carrie would've been fine if she'd just said Livingstone, which is what I did.  I also got The Jane Austen Book Club.

The gondola miss was the one I found the most shocking.

• Love 5

They didn't even clear the board in the first round!  And there were way too many TS.  But it wasn't a runaway.

I did not get FJ, but I did get the TS of gondolas, French Lick, Bette Midler, Jitterbug (so many ads in AARP publications!), Dr. Livingstone, Pearl Buck, and marriage.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Carrie would've been fine if she'd just said Livingstone, which is what I did.

The general rule I was taught for trivia contests is to give the last name only unless you're 101% certain.  (Of course, maybe she was!)  The worst that can happen then is that you'll be prompted to say more, but the best is that you'll get the credit when you might otherwise have tripped yourself up.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And Amy had just grown weary too?

She did say it was a both sad and a relief to lose because it was exhausting.  I don't think exhaustion is what took her out yesterday.  I just think it was the bad luck of when Rhone hit the second DD, him knowing the answer and then him knowing Final Jeopardy and Amy not.

But I do wonder if watching this game, if she did watch it, was painful.  Because oof.  It was like a NASCAR driver teaching their child who just got their temp license.

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Pearl Buck (anyone who couldn't come up with the author of "The Good Earth" should turn in their buzzer)

Especially considering how many times she's been used as a clue (wasn't there another one just recently?) and especially a librarian!

I miss Amy already, this was a bad game.

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The general rule I was taught for trivia contests is to give the last name only unless you're 101% certain.  (Of course, maybe she was!)  The worst that can happen then is that you'll be prompted to say more, but the best is that you'll get the credit when you might otherwise have tripped yourself up.

This was Matt’s strategy 

• Love 5

Now I'm craving saag paneer.

I figured Rhone was going to be a one and done.  I love his reaction to looking at the clip of his face after winning.

I can't believe the gondola and Pearl Buck TS!  They ask about The Good Earth a lot on this show, and Venice + transportation = gondola is not tricky.  I'm also a bit surprised no one came up with Livingstone after Carrie screwed up her answer, I figured someone would get crab claws after the BMS prompt, and I was a little sad no one got Bette Midler from the "divine" hint in the clue.  But those two - wow.

Not that I had a great game, either.  I only ran three categories the entire game, and had several where I only got two clues correct.  And I had absolutely no idea for FJ (and would never have come up with it).

Nice job by Carrie in DJ after a rocky start.  But all those TS were painful after Amy's great run.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The general rule I was taught for trivia contests is to give the last name only unless you're 101% certain.  (Of course, maybe she was!) 

Carrie didn't think Dr. Livingstone's first name was Stanley, she incorrectly gave the title of the film - Stanley and Livingstone - instead of the name of the doctor; another contestant not honing in on that all-important "this" and missing what the clue calls for: "As the 'Stanley', Henry Stanley, in part of a 1939 movie title, Spencer Tracy explores Sub-Saharan Africa seeking this doctor".

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I miss Amy!

I miss Amy too.

I also took an irrational dislike to the female contestant -- she seemed to me to be sort of self-important.  For no good reason since, as has been pointed out, it was a terrible game.

Edited by Leeds
Because for some reason I wrote self important twice.
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Wow, what a pitiful game.

Rhone was not that great of a player. He got lucky yesterday. 

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I have never experienced becoming a Jeopardy champion <sniff>, but I imagine that moment brings an immediate rush of nervous energy. Add to that the shock of “Holy crap, I just took down a 40-day champ!”, and even the most unflappable person would probably have trouble maintaining their composure. Especially since they have, what, about 15 minutes to pull it together before the next taping?

I think yesterday’s Rhone was probably the truer representation. Today, we got Rhone-in-headlights. I bet Nancy Zerg could sympathize.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

I think yesterday’s Rhone was probably the truer representation. Today, we got Rhone-in-headlights. I bet Nancy Zerg could sympathize.

I agree. He still looked really shocked and probably needed more time to settle his nerves. Too bad, I liked him!

Now that we've had a handful of super champs, it would be fun to have a mini-tournament of the "giant slayers" to see how they stack up against each other.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Stanley Livingston was Chip on "My Three Sons."  Perhaps that confused her.

Also the zookeeper from "Tennessee Tuxedo!"

So...Blippi was just a blip, eh? I'd have to go back and watch the show again, or read the archive in depth (when I have more time!), but it seemed that for a librarian, Rhone missed a heckuva lot of book-type questions.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew Rhône would be a one and done.  Contestants who beat long time winners are, except Emma who beat James.

Jonathan Fisher, who unseated Matt Amodio, reigned for 11 days. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
Tidying quote
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew Rhône would be a one and done.  Contestants who beat long time winners are, except Emma who beat James.  And not knowing Pearl S. Buck?  Really people?

I didn't expect him to rack up victories in the double digits, but I thought he would have a few more. I don't think Carrie will last too long, but you never know. When she blanked on that very first question, I thought she would be a disaster, but she turned things around in DJ. And I liked her dog and kitten story.

51 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Jonathan Fisher, who unseated Matt Amodio, reigned for 11 days. 

Yes, how soon we forget the double for John C. Reilly!

I too was surprised at some of the TS's last night, but I had no idea for FJ either. "Dublin" threw me; I kept trying to think of Irish millionaires. That bit of info was pretty misleading, since Gilbert Stuart was American-born, his father was Scottish, and he lived in Scotland for a time. Here is the Wikipedia biography of him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She did say it was a both sad and a relief to lose because it was exhausting. 

Reading some of the news stories about Amy, it also seems to have been causing some amount of stress for her at work.  She had to take a demotion (they always introduced her as an "engineering manager," but she couldn't effectively manage her team being gone two or three days every other week), and she had run out of vacation days and had to start using unpaid leave.  Given that she won't get the money from Jeopardy for at least a couple of months yet, you can imagine that might be causing her to have some cash flow issues, or to have to dip into her savings.

I can understand that, on some level, she would be kind of relieved to have it all over with.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
26 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Reading some of the news stories about Amy, it also seems to have been causing some amount of stress for her at work.  She had to take a demotion (they always introduced her as an "engineering manager," but she couldn't effectively manage her team being gone two or three days every other week), and she had run out of vacation days and had to start using unpaid leave.  Given that she won't get the money from Jeopardy for at least a couple of months yet, you can imagine that might be causing her to have some cash flow issues, or to have to dip into her savings.

I can understand that, on some level, she would be kind of relieved to have it all over with.

I wonder if she'll be able to get her old position back now that J is done...

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Lots of TSs so far. Boring.

Is this supposed to be more competitive? Its painful.

I think we're all experiencing the championship let down blues. We have expectations based on the last 40 games (and more, given that this has been a championship season), and regular play is just not as exciting...for the moment. We'll be back to normal after the tournament next week (whether or not we choose to watch it)

13 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get French Lick.

My Indiana man got it right away. Not me though (the only thing I know about salt licks is that when I was a little kid, my brother had me sample a salt lick that had been used by cows. My parents were not pleased.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

That was quite a come from behind victory today. Carrie was very slow to start, but once she got going, she did really well.

It was like she woke up - and then I thought she played pretty well.

7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I have never experienced becoming a Jeopardy champion <sniff>, but I imagine that moment brings an immediate rush of nervous energy. Add to that the shock of “Holy crap, I just took down a 40-day champ!”, and even the most unflappable person would probably have trouble maintaining their composure. Especially since they have, what, about 15 minutes to pull it together before the next taping?

That is what I was thinking - he had barely any time to absorb his victory. And hey, kudos that Nancy Zerg is getting some new publicity.

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Will she even want to? That money buys a lot of freedom, even these days. But maybe she loves her job.

I did pretty well, got Livingstone easily enough, mostly because if someone were doing a word association test and said "Stanley" I'd say "Livingstone". LOL

Did well on the movie and Broadway categories, not so much in Transportation and Place Names (never knew Yonkers meant anything - and always thought it was a funny name. Now I know, hopefully I'll retain it).

FJ was not to be. I thought about the designer of DC, but knew he was French (couldn't have come up with his name though). Oh well.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think we're all experiencing the championship let down blues. We have expectations based on the last 40 games (and more, given that this has been a championship season), and regular play is just not as exciting...for the moment. We'll be back to normal after the tournament next week (whether or not we choose to watch it)

Promise? May I have that in writing? Oh hey... wait a minute... looks like it already is. LOL

I'm still working on the answer to "what is normal?"

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My Indiana man got it right away. Not me though (the only thing I know about salt licks is that when I was a little kid, my brother had me sample a salt lick that had been used by cows.

I should have mentioned that, as a Hoosier in good standing, I got French Lick as well.  Its major claim to fame, besides the funny name, is that it's the hometown of basketball great Larry Bird.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Did well on the movie and Broadway categories, not so much in Transportation and Place Names (never knew Yonkers meant anything - and always thought it was a funny name. Now I know, hopefully I'll retain it).

I didn’t come up with it either but it made sense when Ken said it. I’m interested in the different European monarchies & grand duchies and in the Netherlands some people have an honorific of Jonkheer, which is basically the equivalent of Sir or Dame in the UK. So it’s not surprising that a suburb of NYC has a name like that.

• Useful 3
On 1/28/2022 at 6:49 AM, Clanstarling said:

Will she even want to? That money buys a lot of freedom, even these days. But maybe she loves her job.

She may not want to go back to her old job, but her true winnings are more like $500,000 rather than over a million.  I'm no financial expert, but I doubt $500,000 sets one up for a life of Reilly.  I'm sure Amy will be offered other work/opportunities, possibly quite lucrative, and she's obviously smart and will seek sound advice - for example, about the repercussions of giving cash gifts to relatives/friends.  Here's an interesting article from CNN about the tax repercussions of prize winning:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2022/01/27/jeopardy-champ-amy-schneider-faces-big-taxes-on-40-wins/?sh=42a4346734df 

Edited by Leeds
wrong word
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Does anyone know if a Jeopardy! champ just didn't come back at a certain point? Like they couldn't keep doing this and keep their job?  Or other priorities came into play?

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

From the way she has talked, I'm not sure she wants it back.  Or even necessarily wants to keep doing what she has been doing.  She has done podcasting.  She seems into theater.  It sounds like she's going to write a book.  I feel like she does the job she does because she didn't see a way to make a living doing more creative pursuits.

But now those more creative opportunities might be coming her way, at least for a while.   In addition, she might be able to do some high profile activism with the trans community because she's so well known and liked.

So I see her either keeping a lower stress job or maybe even quitting.  Didn't Ken eventually quit his job?

• Love 6

This Ringer article (from before Amy lost) about trying to keep a winning streak a secret mentions that Ken's boss was one of the few people he told, and he how helped cover for him as he kept on winning.

It's largely about Amy, though, and how she tried to keep her streak a secret, especially at the watch party for her first show.

Also--she did change positions in her company after starting her Jeopardy! streak, so she wouldn't be directly managing anyone once her streak made that impossible to do: 

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/1/24/22899973/amy-schneider-jeopardy-winning-streak-secret

This Ringer article--also from before Amy lost--is interesting, too:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2022/1/6/22869689/jeopardy-season-streaks-amy-schneider-matt-amodio

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Amy mentioned in a recent article that she had been considering a job change, and her winnings would give her the freedom to pursue other things. So my guess is she won’t be going back. I also read an interview where she was asked if she’d like to host Jeopardy. She laughed and said sure, she’d consider it if asked. (sorry, I don’t have links for these articles) I think Jeopardy is already full up with hosts, but as I’ve said before, I’d love to see her in the rotation on The Chase.

I think I remember reading that Ken left his job about midway through his run.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It looks like she will be taking home roughly $750 K.  It's a lot of money but realistically only life-changing in terms of buying or paying off a house, funding a college or retirement account, or extensive travelling. I would hardly consider it to be "now I can quit my job" money for someone in their early 40's. YMMV of course.

• Love 5

20% down on a condo might set Amy back $125K in her current neighborhood.  I have no idea about her debt, anticipated expenses, etc. but if it were me, I would try to invest a considerable portion of my winnings.  I agree it's probably not "f you money," especially in the Bay Area, but even if she spent that $125K and invested another $500K, I think she would still have enough to cushion her as she explored another line of work.

FWIW, I've seen claims elsewhere that "demotion" was a bit of a strong word WRT the change in Amy's position at work.  Forgive me if I missed her using it in quotes or talking at more length about it.  The claim was that it was determined by mutual agreement that her focus was elsewhere, and it was implied that she could resume the role if she wanted.  I don't recall who the source was, but I guess I could believe that.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

20% down on a condo might set Amy back $125K in her current neighborhood. 

It's crazy.  My son and his family lived in Alameda, on the other side of the tunnel, for 18 months.  He was paying $3600 a month in rent for a 3 bed, 2 bath townhouse.  There was no way they could ever afford a house so he took a transfer to another state.

In one article Amy talked about shopping for Jeopardy outfits at Ross and Target, so she seems to be fairly frugal. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 3

If I could clock "providence" for "provenance" while lying in a hammock eating dim sum, surely the people on set getting paid should have been able to do the same.  Kirsten said on Reddit that, while she knows it wouldn't've affected the outcome, she did know it and would've liked the opportunity to ring in.

I also think it was generous to take Carrie's FJ response.  Maybe they decided not to analyze it closely since it didn't affect the outcome, but I thought she did not complete it, and what it appeared she did write flunks the rule that they'll take a misspelling if it's phonetically the same.  They've got to be consistent.

IMG_1292.jpg

I'm sure it must seem to some like I'm harping on about minutiae, but I really don't remember these kinds of things all the time back when Harry Friedman was producing, and I think we should expect excellence.  They have the resources to do it all right and, the rest of the world as it is, I wish they would!

48 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It's crazy.  My son and his family lived in Alameda, on the other side of the tunnel, for 18 months.  He was paying $3600 a month in rent for a 3 bed, 2 bath townhouse.  There was no way they could ever afford a house so he took a transfer to another state.

It really is wild.  I lucked into a fantastic deal on my flat in San Francisco.  One upstairs was recently marketed at 3X the price I pay and I worry the landlord will find a way to get me out, despite relatively strong tenant protections here.  Meanwhile my friends in Hampton Roads VA pay $500 less a month for 500 sqft more house, with much nicer and newer finishes, and they get to benefit from appreciation.  I really enjoy living here and, having investigated the things I value in other areas, haven't seriously considered moving, but some days...!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 8

72% / 48% / 59%

Blah. Ran nothing. J! wasn't terrible - I missed one in every category except Europe where I missed two. In DJ I missed two in half the categories, and three in the other half. My TSes were mandarin collar, provenance, and Family Matters.

Jay needs to pick up the pace.

• Love 2

If I could clock "providence" for "provenance" while lying in a hammock eating dim sum, surely the people on set getting paid should have been able to do the same. 

I heard the same thing. It seems there have been several lax rulings (as compared to the past) recently. The "Manning" for Peyton Manning really pissed me off. 

• Love 6

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I don't for one minute believe him when he says it wasn't about drugs.  My mother and sister went to one of his concerts back in the day (they said I was too young and wouldn't take me), and they came back smelling all funny and stuff.

TS I got include provenance, Mandarin collar, gaff, and coy.

Slow game -- neither of the boards was cleared.  Agreed, @ams1001, that Jay needs to pick up the pace.

• LOL 8
39 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

also think it was generous to take Carrie's FJ response.  Maybe they decided not to analyze it closely since it didn't affect the outcome, but I thought she did not complete it, and what it appeared she did write flunks the rule that they'll take a misspelling if it's phonetically the same.  They've got to be consistent.

Yeah, they definitely shouldn't have accepted her FJ response.  She didn't complete it.  the providence/provenance thing doesn't bother me, because the close answers that sound alike often get through until a later correction.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

If I could clock "providence" for "provenance" while lying in a hammock eating dim sum, surely the people on set getting paid should have been able to do the same.  Kirsten said on Reddit that, while she knows it wouldn't've affected the outcome, she did know it and would've liked the opportunity to ring in.

I too immediately heard "providence" for "provenance."
But I guess my knowing "provenance" doesn't count as knowing a TS. 🧐
Coy was an instaget TS for me.

The 60s is more of my music decade, unless it's the early 70s.
I wasn't even close for FJ.
I got stuck on "Okie from Muskogee" (1969—–a year too early) and could only think of Willie Nelson performing it (Merle Haggard wrote it)
  —–but wrong song any way.

Wow. The new champ could sell bottled Mellow.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I recall nothing from this game except that John Denver was FINALLY a Final Jeopardy answer!!!!!! 

My John Denver loving heart is elated...

FAR OUT!!!!!!

Oh yeah, new champ is cute....

I've said my peace...

Edited by stonehaven
  • LOL 5
  • Love 10

I did not have a good first round; I only ran fashion (which is not a category I'd have expected to run), and missed three in Europe.  I was fine in the others, missing one or two.

In DJ, I only ran road trip (that was a fun category).  I missed three in prophets, but just two in line and one each in the rest - that's a good DJ for me.

FJ came to me very quickly, so after a rough start this wound up being a good game to end my J! week.