Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I did get FJ, did better in the Art category than I ever have and got my sign right, Sagittarius.

I didn't do great in Art (rarely do), but I did get "our" sign right, along with Libra. I was on the verge of Virgo, but I didn't get it in time.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The hubby and I tag teamed FJ. Me: “Oh, the coral reef.” He: “Great Barrier Reef?”  Me: “Yeah, that’s it.” Does that count as instaget?

Sure. The mister and I wait it out and don't say it until we both have a guess. That one was pretty easy (though the wording took a little bit of tweaking)

I was amazed how well I did on the National Anthems, I got everyone but Norway. I never get Norway for anything.

I missed Soylent Green, but only because I thought it was Bruce Dern. But if I'd really pictured the scene, I would have remembered Heston's scenery chewing.

Did pretty well in Horse Power, but didn't get Rocinante. Which, given that I was reading an Expanse novel just before the show, and the last scene I read was about the Rocinante crew, is pretty unforgivable. Sigh...

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was amazed how well I did on the National Anthems, I got everyone but Norway. I never get Norway for anything

I guessed Norway based on the names, but I did have a quibble with Ken's pronunciation since Hakon is actually Håkon and the "bubble" over the A means it should sound like an O.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I guessed Norway based on the names, but I did have a quibble with Ken's pronunciation since Hakon is actually Håkon and the "bubble" over the A means it should sound like an O.

I guessed Denmark; at least I wasn't too far away...

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That is part of my problem, Denmark is pretty much my go to for anything in that general area. LOL

You'd think when the words in the clue sound kinda "Nordic" I'd go to Norway...but no.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sure. The mister and I wait it out and don't say it until we both have a guess. That one was pretty easy (though the wording took a little bit of tweaking)

I tend to wait until time’s almost up, or I know he has no guess, before I say anything. He, on the other hand, tends to blurt out an answer as soon as it comes to him, sometimes followed by a quick “sorry”. Husbands.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I missed Soylent Green, but only because I thought it was Bruce Dern. But if I'd really pictured the scene, I would have remembered Heston's scenery chewing.

Did pretty well in Horse Power, but didn't get Rocinante...

The similar dystopian movie with Bruce Dern would be Silent Running

As for Rocinante, in college I 'built' stick-horse Rocinante (and Sancho's donkey) out of paper mache and burlap for a production of Man of LaMancha.

• Love 8

For Tuesday's game, FJ was an instaget, but I tried to second-guess myself with some kelp forest somewhere.  Since I couldn't think of a specifically-named kelp forest, I stuck with my first instinct.

The only missed clue I got was Horse Whisperer.

ETA: Ken no doubt learned his adoration of Amy from Alex's adoration of him, and of James, and the types of things Alex said to their opponents.  I really don't see much difference in Ken's patter and Alex's.  Ken might be less misogynistic, though.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I have been making a point to watch early in order to avoid potential spoilers.  I open today's YouTube upload in my app...and before I can press play, unmissable in the center of the screen, is someone's comment about Amy's loss.  I mean, on the grand scale of life's indignities, it's a bagatelle.  I just find it so thoughtless.  I watch a few other game shows online, and I never comment on the result the day they air, for exactly this reason, whether it's a Jeopardy megachamp's defeat or a run-of-the-mill "25 Words or Less."

Maybe this is just the way it is in the internet age?  The show airs at 3:30 Central in Chicago, hours earlier than almost anyone else, and every media outlet there, plus several institutions and even Rhone's Congresswoman, seemed to have posted about it by 4:15.  That's fine, except that of course those posts aren't geofenced.  I have close friends and some family from Chicago, so Facebook knows I am interested and sends me posts from there too.  Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but I wish we could come to some kind of agreement as a society on the etiquette for these things.  (I guess I'd better not hold my breath.)

Anyway, on to the game itself!  It was fun to see Rhone so surprised and thrilled.  I wonder how far he'll go.  Amy can be proud of her performance, and I'm certainly grateful for the quotidian visibility she offered trans communities.  The ToC really will be one to watch this year.  I don't remember much about how I did on the boards, except that the football clues went on way too long for my tastes about something in which I have no interest.  I didn't bother even listening to the last few.  Thank goodness we got through all the clues.

• Love 13

I guess everyone was right about her appearance on GMA.

I've been on an Apple Jacks binge for the past few weeks so I got that one!

Also, I tried to spoil myself today to be prepared if Amy lost but I thought the Archive put something like Amy's 40th game: Rhone's 1st game or something and I didn't see that when I looked and I didn't scroll down so I thought she won again. I was shocked when she lost.

Edited by dgpolo
ETA more
  • Love 3

70% / 77% / 72%

Ran Creature Comforts, Cereal (even had Cheerios for dinner; still have a headache and it was all I could stomach or had the energy to fix), 10 of a Kind, and OMG! Could not come up with FJ.

TSes were cleaner wrasse, sea serpent, Ionic, meiosis, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

I like Rhone but I found his glasses quite distracting. Loved how shocked he was at beating a superchamp.

Sorry to see Amy go, but 40 is a nice round number.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 8

I was unspoiled.  When I saw he was a librarian I thought maybe he had a chance.  I am pretty sure librarians have scored higher than former champions.

I will say I was shocked at the end though. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, NYGirl said:

I was unspoiled.  When I saw he was a librarian I thought maybe he had a chance.  I am pretty sure librarians have scored higher than former champions.

I actually got spoiled by the comment above about spoiling, a few minutes into the game. Oh, well. I managed to refrain from looking at the final scores to see how much she lost by, though.

• Love 2

Oh come on Ken, how could you let Manning go by without a BMS?!? Especially when both brothers were active at the time. Big miss. I'm sure Amy would have known it anyway, but still...

Edited to add: @bankerchick GMTA!

Edited by ProudMary
See above
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

I haven’t seen the game yet, but I did check The Jeopardy Fan this morning and my jaw dropped.  I really thought she might beat Ken’s record. 

I have been checking Twitter all afternoon and as of 3 pm Pacific time there was still no spoiler.

The TOC is going to be very interesting.

• Love 3

I was unspoiled for Amy's loss.  However, part way through the game, I did think Rhone had the stuff to beat her so wasn't actully surprised that he did.  I don't know if Amy was tired or not, but I did think she was a little slower than usual.

I was all around southeast Asia for FJ but still did not get it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Oh come on Ken, how could you let Manning go by without a BMS?!? Especially when both brothers were active at the time. Big miss.

That annoyed me, and if it had made a difference in the end, I'd have been really pissed.  I can't believe none of them knew Johnny Unitas.  I ran the football category, which means it was easy as hell.  I've been checking the clues on the archive every day and honestly, the producer who claims the clues haven't gotten easier is wrong.

I can't believe Rhone missed Ft. Bragg but then I'm biased since my dad was in the 82nd Airborne and talked about Ft. Bragg all the time.  But it was prominently in the news a couple of years ago.

I got Bangladesh by thinking of extremely populous countries which led me to India, and of course Bangladesh is right next door.

• Love 7

I too was inadvertently spoiled. I Googled her name because I was wondering how many games she'd already won, and up pops a link saying she lost. I won't make  that mistake again.

With that being said, I carefully watched the episode and Amy really was off her game, Final Jeopardy notwithstanding. I suck at Jeopardy and even I was shouting out the answers (not to the football ones, though) and she wasn't even buzzing in. And, she's quick on the buzzer. She got better as the episode continued.  I didn't mind Rhone's eyeglasses, but Mr. ECM thought he looked ridiculous.

• Love 2

Good points about Manning.  The call I wasn't sure about was "Barney the Dinosaur."  The show was called "Barney & Friends."  Would they take "Meredith Grey" for "Grey's Anatomy"?  Maybe that's not really analogous, and maybe they could find a citation for "Barney the Dinosaur" in some source.  He clearly knew what they were going for, and it wouldn't've affected the outcome either way.  Maybe I'm just being nitpicky today.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I got Bangladesh by thinking of extremely populous countries which led me to India, and of course Bangladesh is right next door.

I was thinking in the right area of the world but I was more focused on coming up with a country that ends in H and I didn't get there.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I got that one because of watching Atlantic Crossing on PBS last fall.

25 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

TSes were cleaner wrasse, sea serpent, Ionic, meiosis, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

I got sea serpent and DiCaprio.  Should've gotten Ionic but said Doric instead.

Hallelujah, I can finally watch Jeopardy again.  Although I might get tired of Rhone's glasses if he's champ for very long.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ECM1231 said:

I too was inadvertently spoiled. I Googled her name because I was wondering how many games she'd already won, and up pops a link saying she lost. I won't make  that mistake again.

With that being said, I carefully watched the episode and Amy really was off her game, Final Jeopardy notwithstanding. I suck at Jeopardy and even I was shouting out the answers (not to the football ones, though) and she wasn't even buzzing in. And, she's quick on the buzzer. She got better as the episode continued.  I didn't mind Rhone's eyeglasses, but Mr. ECM thought he looked ridiculous.

I thought she was definitely off at first but she really played pretty well overall. It was Rhone nailing that daily double that really did it.

• Love 16

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Fort Bragg, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ionic (before the wrong answer of Ionian), and sea serpen

I got the entire categories of cereal and OMG right.  I had a great night.

I'm glad Amy's done. I don't like it when champs go past 15 or 20 games.  Sorry.  I just don't.

Also, I think Manning needed a BMS.  Eli, anyone?

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Good points about Manning.  The call I wasn't sure about was "Barney the Dinosaur."  The show was called "Barney & Friends."  Would they take "Meredith Grey" for "Grey's Anatomy"?  Maybe that's not really analogous, and maybe they could find a citation for "Barney the Dinosaur" in some source.  He clearly knew what they were going for, and it wouldn't've affected the outcome either way.  Maybe I'm just being nitpicky today.

I was bothered by those being allowed to slide while Rhone was pronounced incorrect for saying Ionian instead of Ionic. Ken's hesitation was an important hint that the answer was not Doric or Corinthian.

I managed to stay unspoiled. I thought it was going to be another Amy runaway until Rhone hit that DD, bet big, and answered correctly.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I will say I was shocked at the end though. 

I was unspoiled as well, and when I heard librarian I knew there was chance.   

• Love 2

I got Bangladesh at the last second (probably wouldn't have had time to write it if I was playing).

I can't take weeks of those LiteBrite glasses.  It's like Sally Jesse Raphael on an 80s retro trip.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

I didn't get FJ tonight.  I was in the right part of the world, but kept trying to think of something that ended in -ah.  Bangladesh never occurred to me.

But I did get the missed clues of Ft. Bragg, Johnny Unitas, wrasse, and Leonardo DiCaprio. 

I'm kind of sad that Amy lost!  And surprised, as I was unspoiled.  I could have watched her for a few more weeks.  I can't decide whether or not I like Rhone's glasses.  They seem to match him and his personality well, but I don't think I could wear them effectively.

Anyone know when this episode was filmed and if it was near the time she was mugged?

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, deemac said:

So Amy finally lost and I checked for next week and it looks like Mayim will be back.  Dagnab it!

It's a tournament, isn't it?  Not thrilled about that, but I can live with it since it will of limited duration.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There was an ad today showing Rhone going for the "true" daily double today that was supposed to make you wonder if this was going to be the day but when he got the first one wrong, I wondered if it was a double bluff.  (I am actually just glad I got to see the game because our governor did her State of the State at 7 o'clock but it just preempted Wheel and not Jeopardy).

It was a great run for Amy who I admired rather than liked while being amazed at the breadth of her knowledge.  She also met my number one criteria tonight - lose at least as graciously as you win if not more so - for that reason alone, I can root for her in the Tournament of Champions or any other future appearances.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I can't believe Rhone missed Ft. Bragg but then I'm biased since my dad was in the 82nd Airborne and talked about Ft. Bragg all the time.  But it was prominently in the news a couple of years ago.

The word "boast" being in the clue was a giant hint. Apparently he didn't hear me yelling, "BRAGG!!  BRAGG!!"

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

It's a tournament, isn't it?  Not thrilled about that, but I can live with it since it will of limited duration.

The tournament Mayim is definitely doing in primetime starts the 8th of next month, I think.  I don't have any information either way, but I would be surprised if they hadn't made sure she'd also be hosting the syndicated show during that time.

• Love 1

On her Twitter threads (which are fun to read) Amy was talking about being nervous to face Matt Amodio in the TOC and talking about how he had the statistical edge on her. Which now with the benefit of hindsight was a slight tell that her streak was ending imminently. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I know there are several months of games left before the ToC, but someone on Reddit helpfully put together a list of how things stand now.  There are Amy, Matt, and Jonathan Fisher at the top.  Then, 2 7x, 1 6x, 2 5x, 1 4x, and 5 3x winners, plus the winner of the Professors Tournament.

I think some of those 3x winners will get bumped off.  It's not rational, but somehow that's not "enough" for me IMO.  I'd prefer more like 5x and up with very rare exceptions, but now that they've said they will have a ToC in November every year, we may see more shorter-tenured winners.

Kelly Donohue is 11th of 15.  He will have earned his place fair and square if 5 people don't exceed him, but I bet the show would rather not feature him again if they can help it.  I don't want to see him either.  He made my skin crawl even before the gesture, which I remain unconvinced was entirely innocent, so I'll be rooting for 4x and 5x champs!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

My prediction is Rhône will win at most 2 games.  

I agree.  I didn't feel that he won as much as that Amy lost.

The fact that she didn't even have an answer for Fj - one which I thought was so obvious as to make me doubt the show - I thought was pretty telling.

I've loved watching Amy play.   I'm sure Rhone is a perfectly fine person, but I really doubt I'd be excited to watch him play.

Added: Amy's experience shows how extraordinary Ken's streak of 70+ games really was.  

Edited by mjc570
forgot to mention
  • Love 9
49 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I call BS on 'Manning' not being a BMS.  He's not the only Manning to have won a Super Bowl.  He's not even the only Manning to win a Super Bowl in the 2000s.

As many others have said, ITA.  I thought it was strange that "What is Barney the Dinosaur?" was accepted as the correct question when the question should have been "What is Barney and Friends?"  I was surprised that the judges didn't overturn it later on.  And "Ionian" wasn't accepted, because it should have been "Ionic."  It's hard for me to read the judges' minds, figuring out what is an acceptable question, figuring which questions should BMS, and figuring which questions are deemed incorrect.

Amy seemed off her game at the beginning.  It seemed like I waited forever for her to finally buzz in to suggest a question.  And there were so many things that she should have known.  Didn't she know that that bird was a cardinal? Was she having trouble with her buzzer?

But congratulations to her for her 40 wins, and I look forward to seeing her in the TOC.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ tonight.  I was in the right part of the world, but kept trying to think of something that ended in -ah.  Bangladesh never occurred to me....

...Anyone know when this episode was filmed and if it was near the time she was mugged?

My FJ thought process was the same,  @Browncoat
I just looked it up, and Amy was mugged over the New Years break, so it should have been after this episode, right?

Amy was slow out of the gate tonight–—which has happened before–—but, IIRC, in those cases the challengers always whiffed the DD. Not only did Rhone get the DD, but it was a TDD of a significant amount. 

It's weird, but during the first talk-break, when Amy said "than me" twice instead of "than I," I was sadly disillusioned.
IDK. She said in the context of talking about pop culture and her younger friend, so maybe my grammar is a bit passé in that respect.  English is always changing.

About Manning: Yes, it needed a BMS, but it wasn't wrong.
About Barney the Dinosaur: Rhone's answer was wrong, but at least it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. But, wow. If it would have made a difference?!? A new Jeopardy! Gate would have ensued. I'm so glad that is not going to happen.

Being a librarian from Chicago was enough to make me root for Rhone from the get go.

I would love to ask Rhone if he got his glasses at the See optical store in Old Orchard; I almost bought colorful frames there some years ago (they let you mix and match parts of the frame), but I (sadly?) decided as a librarian I didn't want to attract attention to myself that might distract from the information the patron or student was seeking.
But for as long as Rhone is on the show, I will vicariously enjoy that he was daring enough to Go For The Gold (or yellow) eyeglass frames.

But I don't want Rhone to win too many games. After wandering through the desert of Jeopardy! challenger losers for 40 days and 40 nights, I think we need a respite.

• I apologize to any who have had more than their fill of Judeo-Christian word play, but after hearing Ken say it too many times, I couldn't resist.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4