Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just now, Browncoat said:

Oh, End Woman whose name I've forgotten, being afraid of flying but flying anyway is not irony.

But it is if the plane crashes.  Especially if as the plane crash you think "well isn't that nice."

• LOL 11
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because they don't appear with a fraction of the same frequency biblical clues do.  And I've never seen anyone complain about the mere existence of biblical clues in a trivia competition, just as I've never seen anyone complain about the existence of opera, Shakespeare, or Constitution clues.  But last season there were far more biblical clues than there typically are (in one random two-week stretch I checked, six of those ten games had religion categories, four of which were about Christianity, and there were scattered biblical clues in categories not devoted to religion as well), which is what got discussed here.  It seems we're getting back to a more typical percentage of clues, so I wonder if my theory Mike Richards was behind the increase was indeed correct.

I hope the @bastet shoutout took some the sting out of yet another bible clue (Moses in the bullrushes, which I knew at one point but has been pushed off the ledge of my useable memory).

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ha - another Bastet clue.  But unfortunately not a cat statue (it was an archive game for me, but I can tell from the description, obviously).

Well...:

image.png.af586201a83aa085d7451232e6331fbd.png

I knew FJ was Chicago, but neither the Art Institute nor the Museum of Science and Industry were named after anyone, and after that I mentally gave up. Plus, as a child, I didn't equate the "Field" part of the Field Museum with Marshall Field, and, heh, I just thought of "Marshall Field" as the name of a big store chain. Does this fit into the category of "the burden of knowledge"?

I knew Miami Vice before all the wrong guesses, but I was stuck trying to come up with a second "U" for "rushes" ("bullrushes").

How did Amy get credit for "caravan" instead of "wagon" (Roma "vardo")? 

I understand why Amy was attracted to that particular pink, but the cut of the blazer was ghastly.
At least I am freshly inspired to throw out over half of the un-culled librarian blazers still in my closet.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

Go Amy! I spoil myself every day - too old to be bothered to wait. I remember looking at Matt's 39th game result and being shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that he lost. I figured he was good for at least 50 games.

39 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Oh Amy, just no with the sweater/jacket combo!

Oh dear. I must be fashion impaired. I thought it looked nice. 🤷‍♂️

• Love 7

Yeah, I meant that it's not the statue they've shown before that's just a cat.  The cat-headed woman is a little harder to identify, so it made sense for a $1000 clue.  But the cat's cuter. 🙂

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How did Amy get credit for "caravan" instead of "wagon" (Roma "vardo")? 

One definition for caravan is "a covered horse-drawn wagon"...

The Wiki page for vardo starts with "A vardo (also wag(g)on, living wagon, van, and caravan) is a traditional horse-drawn wagon used by British Romanichal Travellers as their home."

7 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I was shouting Stephenie Meyer at the TV screen. I mean, I’m not proud of it or anything but that was a surprising TS to me. 

I wasn't terribly upset that I missed that one. I picked up Twilight from a display on the info desk at B&N one day while I was waiting for a friend and I couldn't even finish the first page. Which was only half a page.

37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But the cat's cuter. 🙂

Cats are always cuter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I was shouting Stephenie Meyer at the TV screen. I mean, I’m not proud of it or anything but that was a surprising TS to me.

I guessed Anne Rice, not figuring it was right, but I couldn't think of any other vampire story authors (not my genre) at first.  I then realized, "Oh, whoever writes the Twilight stuff".  Not even if I'd given myself more time would I have come up with her name, though; cultural osmosis has not been enough for me to be able to name her as the author.  But if you asked me what Stephenie Meyer wrote, I think it would kick in and I'd correctly guess Twilight after some thought.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

There are sooo many vampire writers now.  I started with Anne Rice and when that was wrong tried to think of the Sookie Stackhouse writer.  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

There are sooo many vampire writers now.  I started with Anne Rice and when that was wrong tried to think of the Sookie Stackhouse writer.  

I thought Anne Rice first but I didn't think it was right, then my mind went to Sookie Stackhouse (which I've never read nor watched, and most likely never will) and I was too busy trying to come up with that author to think about Meyer. (I did not come up with the author; it's Charlaine Harris which I just had to look up to satisfy my itchy brain.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

I liked the 90s hip hop. I got 4/5 and could sing them all, which I did as each clue was revealed. (Why yes, I do live alone and my neighbors have thick walls.) 

I've even been to the Field Museum, but I couldn't place the Wold Columbian Expo, so I was flailing around in the southwestern US for museums named for someone, and obviously nowhere near Chicago.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought Anne Rice first but I didn't think it was right, then my mind went to Sookie Stackhouse (which I've never read nor watched, and most likely never will) and I was too busy trying to come up with that author to think about Meyer. (I did not come up with the author; it's Charlaine Harris which I just had to look up to satisfy my itchy brain.)

This is almost exactly what I did except I could only come up with the Southern Vampire Mysteries and not even Sookie Stackhouse or Harris.

6 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I've even been to the Field Museum, but I couldn't place the Wold Columbian Expo, so I was flailing around in the southwestern US for museums named for someone, and obviously nowhere near Chicago.

I lived in Chicago until 4th grade and since then in various suburbs. Went to the Field Museum almost yearly on field (hah!) trips at school or when my dad took his yearly vacation. Also knew the Expo from various buildings left over from it and H.H. Holmes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

There are sooo many vampire writers now. 

This is one of the times where not being burdened by knowledge helped me or, in this case, almost helped me.  I couldn't come up with her name, so I got as far as a guess of "the Twilight author?" - because that was the only other than Anne Rice's novels vampire series I could think of (I've never been interested in such stories) - and stalled.  If I knew how many were out there these days, I wouldn't even have come that close.

• Love 1

I knew the 1893 exposition was in Chicago because of The Devil in the White City, but that still didn’t help because the only Chicago museum I could think of was the Art Institute which isn’t named after a person. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I knew the 1893 exposition was in Chicago because of The Devil in the White City, but that still didn’t help because the only Chicago museum I could think of was the Art Institute which isn’t named after a person. 

I said Field Museum solely because it's in Chicago. I'd forgotten about Marshall Field.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I said Anne Rice first, then, "the Twilight writer," after I remembered they had an Ann Rice question just recently.  Lots of vampire questions these days, I figure Mike Richards is behind it.

Just the ghost of Mike Richards.

• LOL 5

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't even consider Anne Rice, since I knew there were a ton of writers. I was going for Harris (couldn't come up with the name), and couldn't place which series Meyer wrote. That's because after watching the first film (my daughters were very critical of it), I didn't bother. When I found out why the vamps couldn't go out in the sunlight, I was "seriously?" (no spoilers, but for me it was one of the dumbest reasons ever). My daughters and I had a good laugh.

I did fairly well, didn't run anything and was surprised I got more than one right in Hip Hop and  Government Agencies (my mind goes blank). I got a number in the Roma category (except for hedgehog). When I was a kid and we were stationed in Spain, I saw Roma caravans occasionally.  Not at all as colorful and bright as depicted in film. They were faded, and the people looked sad and worn out. They were very poor. It was eye opening to this little 4th grader.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, End Woman whose name I've forgotten, being afraid of flying but flying anyway is not irony.

It’s just like rain on your wedding day. 

#2!!! She’s now passed both players I did not care for.  I actually got FJ! I just tried to think of a museum in a city that had a world’s fair that was named after a person.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

60% / 57% / 59%

I feel like crap (I'll blame my score on migraine) and my neighbors are assholes but at least See/"C"/Sea Life made me laugh. Also that "John Williams" was a player (his story about his 3yo daughter/coach was funny, too). When they introduced him I was hoping for a movie music category.

Somehow I did better in Sports than three other categories. I can thank Dancing with the Stars and their "Dance Center" spoof for me knowing Kenny Mayne (I didn't even watch the season he actually competed on).

image.png.d8a684082e742c1a32d12886d66218fc.png

Only ran Women in Politics, missed one See Life, and only got one Zodiac (Libra, because that's my sign).

Got zero C Life, missed only one Book and Floor, and two each in the others.

My TSes were Kenny Mayne, The Horse Whisperer (DD), and besmirch.

FJ was, sadly, an instaget.

This clue: "One particular horse, called Nugget, he embraces... they stand in the dark for an hour" is a line from this play"  ...and I thought of the original run of Leverage's "The Boiler Room Job", where Sophie's acting students helped to take down "The Blowfish," con man with one of the students being referred to as Nugget because that's the part he played in "Equus."

ETA: The con man called himself "The Mako," but was continually being mocked as "The Blowfish"

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1

I was obviously way off in my assessment of the travertine clue, since I thought it was overvalued at $2000 and then it was a TS.

I was terrible in the zodiac category, missing all but one.  With more time, I could have come up with two more, but it's not a subject in which I have much knowledge at the ready.  I got everything else in the first round other than one anthem (Poland).

In DJ, I only ran floor.  I missed two each in all the rest (too bad no bonus points for consistency), so not bad.

FJ was an instaget (and depressing).

• Love 2

The hubby and I tag teamed FJ. Me: “Oh, the coral reef.” He: “Great Barrier Reef?”  Me: “Yeah, that’s it.” Does that count as instaget?

I felt bad for tonight’s sacrificial lambs. Ken: (paraphrasing) “Amy’s doing amazing! I sure wouldn’t want to play against her! Good luck to you two [losers]!”

I’ve been supportive of Ken’s enthusiasm for Amy, and I certainly understand it, but sometimes I do wish he would show a little more support for the players who have worked so hard and waited so long to become, in effect, footnotes to someone else’s story.

• Love 12

Sleep deprived, I watched on YouTube after driving home at 10:30pm in drifting snow.
I really should've waited until morning to watch, if for no other reason than to test my sundowning theory.
Nevertheless I sleep-got the TS of besmirch. 

• Love 3

I felt bad for tonight’s sacrificial lambs. Ken: (paraphrasing) “Amy’s doing amazing! I sure wouldn’t want to play against her! Good luck to you two [losers]!”

I’ve been supportive of Ken’s enthusiasm for Amy, and I certainly understand it, but sometimes I do wish he would show a little more support for the players who have worked so hard and waited so long to become, in effect, footnotes to someone else’s story.

Totally agree.  It’s the one nitpick I have with Ken’s hosting.  I don’t think it is intentional, but his enthusiasm for Amy’s accomplishments comes at the expense of her competitors.  I do feel for them.  Speaking as someone who has had two auditions and is still waiting for “the call”, I can’t imagine what it would be like to walk in and find out I was up against a 40 time winner.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 7

Both "my friend" and I answered Field Museum before Ken was finished reading the clue. It helps if you live nearby and have been there a zillion times. Was expecting @illdoc and @shapeshifter to also easily answer that one, although I guess Shapeshifter paid the price for moving. 

Horse Whisperer ... another no brainer for horse people, or maybe people who like Robert Redford. Or both!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

Horse Whisperer ... another no brainer for horse people, or maybe people who like Robert Redford. Or both!

I'm not a horse person and don't know the book/film, so for me it was just knowing people have been called a horse whisperer, dog whisperer, cat whisperer, etc. and correctly guessing it based on the wording of the clue. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

This clue: "One particular horse, called Nugget, he embraces... they stand in the dark for an hour" is a line from this play"  ...and I thought of the original run of Leverage's "The Boiler Room Job", where Sophie's acting students helped to take down "The Blowfish," con man with one of the students being referred to as Nugget because that's the part he played in "Equus."

ETA: The con man called himself "The Mako," but was continually being mocked as "The Blowfish"

Or was he The Gefilte Fish?

I totally missed Final Jeopardy. I was all um????????

• LOL 3
On 1/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Personally, I think the best vampire novelist is Chelsea Quinn Yarbro. The research she must do is quite daunting.

Isn't the vampire genre getting a bit long in the tooth?   I've never liked stories in that vein.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The hubby and I tag teamed FJ. Me: “Oh, the coral reef.” He: “Great Barrier Reef?”  Me: “Yeah, that’s it.” Does that count as instaget?

Ha, same here.

Me: The great coral reef! The one by Australia!

H: Great Barrier Reef?

Then I just kept wondering what would have happened if I had written Great Coral Reef, the One by Australia.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, millennium said:

Isn't the vampire genre getting a bit long in the tooth?   I've never liked stories in that vein.

I see what you did there! I agree though.😆

I'm happy that Amy is now second only to Ken, but I really wish there weren't quite as many runaway games

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I did get FJ, did better in the Art category than I ever have and got my sign right, Sagittarius.

I'm also a Sagittarius and did not get that one.  I only got two in that category.  Virgo and Libra.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Was expecting @illdoc and @shapeshifter to also easily answer that one,

Did indeed! I was just concerned that they may have wanted its "official" name: The Field Museum of Natural History. Been there many times. Even saw the "King Tut" exhibit the last time it was in town---preferred the Field's mummy exhibit. For those who haven't been, the museum has got to be a "must-see" for taxidermists. What's interesting, is that there is a sign that says "if the exhibit number is less than {some number} or more than {some other number} it means it is a piece that was one of the original exhibits". The elephants in the lobby are from 1930 or so.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3