Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

37 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Anyway what I was thinking is when 3 people show up to play, 2 of them are going home, no matter what.

Amen. So much this. And it's not just on Jeopardy either. Many game shows the losers go home with zero money and not even a consolation prize like a ceramic Dalmatian.

1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

I think if Amy has a weak area it's pop culture;  movies, modern novels, pop music, etc.

I don't know. She's pretty up on Eminem songs and lyrics.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

The runners-up seemed like great sports today.  I felt badly for Brittany, who seemed a bit checked out by the end of DD.  I thought she might have swung on a few clues she would have left alone in another situation, contributing to her low score.

There were a couple odd moments, like "prime minster" [sic] on the Benazir Bhutto clue.  I really like the way the interim EP sounds when he talks about the show, but I don't ever remember those kinds of errors until recently.  I hope they get a handle on them.

I believe as of today Amy has exactly half as many wins as Ken.  She will be tied with Matt for longevity if she wins tomorrow.  To think that Ken went on twice as long as either of these very impressive runs is still pretty mind-boggling to me!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

67% / 53% / 61%

My only TS was phrases, and the only category I ran was Getting a Shot. Missed one each in AKA, Anti-Synonyms, and Before & After TV. The rest...meh.

But I got FJ. 3 for 4 so far this week.

• Love 3

No clue on FJ.

Got the missed clues of Harding and Kolkatta..

Had a not very good night, but I've had worse.

I suppose it's natural, but Amy is getting unbearably smug.

Edited by Katy M
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

not even a consolation prize like a ceramic Dalmatian.

And that wasn't even a consolation prize -- that was a real prize.  I think Rice-A-Roni was the consolation prize.

I was briefly distracted, but then focused on the FJ clue, and got it with about 10 seconds to spare.  Plenty of time to write it down.

I did not get any TS.  

I loved the Before & After TV -- My Three Sons of Anarchy cracked me up.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I the first round Patrick answered “Mirror” and it was ruled correct, but then Ken said “ Mirror-less”. So which was the correct answer. Mirror or mirror-less? The only TSs I got was Calcutta and my brain had checked out by FJ. I blame it on the dead car battery I was trying to charge/jump this afternoon with no success. Since I’m expecting an ice storm tomorrow I decided to let it go for at least 24-36 hours. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I the first round Patrick answered “Mirror” and it was ruled correct, but then Ken said “ Mirror-less”. So which was the correct answer. Mirror or mirror-less?

less was in the clue.  I think it was something like this "less" camera.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I the first round Patrick answered “Mirror” and it was ruled correct, but then Ken said “ Mirror-less”. So which was the correct answer. Mirror or mirror-less? The only TSs I got was Calcutta and my brain had checked out by FJ. I blame it on the dead car battery I was trying to charge/jump this afternoon with no success. Since I’m expecting an ice storm tomorrow I decided to let it go for at least 24-36 hours. 

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

less was in the clue.  I think it was something like this "less" camera.  

"In this-less cameras like Sony's Alpha 7, light hits a sensor directly & the image in the viewfinder is truer to the photo"

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think this is very much a case of mileage varying. I think she is still gracious and polite, though sometimes overwhelmed.  I've never seen anything from her I felt was even slightly smug, though I can occasionally tell if she got FJ before it's revealed. But that seems more relief and the joy of figuring something out, or trying not to show disappointment if she didn't.

I thought today's FJ could only be frontier, though I tried to think of anything else it could be.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I think Rice-A-Roni was the consolation prize.

You are correct. So funny, "The San Francisco Treat" def was a consolation prize. On every game show I think!

1 minute ago, Ailianna said:

I thought today's FJ could only be frontier, though I tried to think of anything else it could be.

Well, there's wilderness. That was what a friend answered.

I agree that Amy continues to be gracious and humble. I admire her composure and ability to keep going strong, she has done nothing to make me think anything negative about her. Quite the contrary. And YES! to how amazing Ken's run was. Imagine that, twice as long as Amy's. 

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

23 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Well, there's wilderness. That was what a friend answered.

Wilderness was my first answer. But then I realized that was a 20th or 21st century kind of descriptor and went with Frontier.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I think this is very much a case of mileage varying. I think she is still gracious and polite, though sometimes overwhelmed.  I've never seen anything from her I felt was even slightly smug, though I can occasionally tell if she got FJ before it's revealed. But that seems more relief and the joy of figuring something out, or trying not to show disappointment if she didn't.

I agree with you Amy seems to blame herself if she misses a question. I noticed she gets a why didn't I think of that look on her face.

• Love 5

The phrases TS surprised me a bit, but that was all.

I enjoyed Ken saying he'd watch either show about Sanford and Sons of Anarchy and My Three Sons of Anarchy.

I had another great game, so I'll probably implode tomorrow night.  I ran everything but action movies, 1922, and cameras in the first round, and only missed one each in those.

I was hoping to run farce in DJ, as I love that genre, but didn't know who wrote The Code of the Woosters.  I only ran consonants and energy biz, but did very well in the rest -- I also missed one in TV (the TS; I've never heard of either show, so I had no chance on that one), one in South Asia (it would have been more if not for a couple of very lucky guesses), and two in mystery.

FJ came to me quickly - maybe because I re-watched Dances With Wolves earlier this week, so had Dunbar's desire to see the frontier while there was still any of it left freshly in mind?

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

There were a couple odd moments, like "prime minster" [sic] on the Benazir Bhutto clue.  I really like the way the interim EP sounds when he talks about the show, but I don't ever remember those kinds of errors until recently.  I hope they get a handle on them.

There was also the weirdness in the lights/camera category, where Britany selected the $600 clue, but when she got it right, her score only increased by $400.  Her next selection was again for $600, and when Patrick got it right, his score increased by $600.  So was the back-up camera clue really the $400 clue, which they incorrectly went to when she asked for the $600? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I enjoyed Ken saying he'd watch either show about Sanford and Sons of Anarchy and My Three Sons of Anarchy.

I had another great game, so I'll probably implode tomorrow night.  I ran everything but action movies, 1922, and cameras in the first round, and only missed one each in those.

I was hoping to run farce in DJ, as I love that genre, but didn't know who wrote The Code of the Woosters.  I only ran consonants and energy biz, but did very well in the rest -- I also missed one in TV (the TS; I've never heard of either show, so I had no chance on that one), one in South Asia (it would have been more if not for a couple of very lucky guesses), and two in mystery.

FJ came to me quickly - maybe because I re-watched Dances With Wolves earlier this week, so had Dunbar's desire to see the frontier while there was still any of it left freshly in mind?

There was also the weirdness in the lights/camera category, where Britany selected the $600 clue, but when she got it right, her score only increased by $400.  Her next selection was again for $600, and when Patrick got it right, his score increased by $600.  So was the back-up camera clue really the $400 clue, which they incorrectly went to when she asked for the $600? 

You're right. Britany asked for the $600 clue and they read the $400 clue, which she got correct. 

ETA: Maybe there must have been some editing mistake going on?

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was hoping to run farce in DJ, as I love that genre,

I literally physically cheered and clapped when the last clue came up and my pre-guess and absolute favourite (at least on the stage; Wodehouse is a favourite for reading) Noises Off was the response. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm pretty sure both challengers forgot that the category was "Starts With Three Consonants." I'm surprised Amy didn't come up with the correct answer though.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Interesting catch. In both cases they inserted a shot of the $600 as normal. I'm slightly surprised they didn't cover it with the value that matched the count and an audio pickup. I wonder if they ever do pickups to correct contestants' audio. I imagine they must do for the host occasionally. And of course they have the disclaimer about editing not affecting the outcome. 

59 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Interesting catch. In both cases they inserted a shot of the $600 as normal. I'm slightly surprised they didn't cover it with the value that matched the count and an audio pickup. I wonder if they ever do pickups to correct contestants' audio. I imagine they must do for the host occasionally. And of course they have the disclaimer about editing not affecting the outcome.

Yes, that's what surprised me - not so much that it happened, but that it made air rather than being fixed in post (just loop her saying $400 instead of $600 the first time, and replace that shot of the $600 card with one of $400).

1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I'm pretty sure both challengers forgot that the category was "Starts With Three Consonants." I'm surprised Amy didn't come up with the correct answer though.

That's always possible, even where it's not the first clue in that category.  But it was still a little odd to reach for "adjective" and then "verb", when I would think it more common for a mind to jump to "phrase" upon being prompted with "prepositional ___".  When you combine "participial" and "prepositional" with those two incorrect answers, I think some of those four combinations aren't even actual things.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, PBnJay said:

The combination of Ken and Amy is like chicken soup on a cold day. And while I am a Matt Amodio fan, I wouldn't mind if Amy won the ToC. Just let no one else win besides Matt or Amy please Tournament Gods!

This should be a really interesting ToC. The only downside is that Mayim will be hosting it. 

9 hours ago, Pallida said:

(And I say this as someone who watches and strangely enjoys her Call Me Kat show!)

Thank you for your service.

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got a bit annoyed at her at the beginning. It felt like she was saying "I'm coming for your record, Ken". But I'm not sure if that is the ways she meant it. But it annoyed me as I want to focus on the present, his record is still more then twice the number of games away.

I have to admit I keep thinking about how a contestant could beat her. Basically they have to be quick with the buzzer and get lucky by receive all the double Jeopardy's (with the 3rd person help). Stopping her from getting such a huge runaway. Then get FJ correct, this is her weakest category and probably will be her downfall.  I have to admit I've reached the point where I keep hoping to see her lose. Nothing against her but I like the competition and watching everyone get slaughtered is getting old. 

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4

I agree that second and third place should get more--if for no other reason than to cover travel expenses.  How about $4,000 and $2,000?

(Back in the '70's my aunt won a ceramic pug on Wheel.)

• Love 15
51 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I agree that second and third place should get more--if for no other reason than to cover travel expenses.  How about $4,000 and $2,000?

(Back in the '70's my aunt won a ceramic pug on Wheel.)

I was a contestant in 1997, came in third and won $1000 gift certificate. So basically the amount is still the same as 25 years ago. However, second prize during my show was a trip to Fiji, so more than $2000. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Man that double Jeopardy round was basically just she and Ken. 

28 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I did not understand FJ! let alone get the correct answer!

I was confused as well and found it oddly worded but at the end of the song thought of frontier, though my star trek fandom kicked in and thought it might be final frontier?  Or some phrase with frontier rather than just frontier. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, HelenBaby said:

I was a contestant in 1997, came in third and won $1000 gift certificate. So basically the amount is still the same as 25 years ago. However, second prize during my show was a trip to Fiji, so more than $2000. 

Yeah the last few years I've been arguing they at the very least need to up the winnings for the tournament champions. $100k is not a huge amount.  Especially for say the college winners $100 k after taxes won't nearly cover 4 years of college. Not that it should or that should be the winnings amount basis but just for comparison that would cover like one year of college at some private schools. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, possibilities said:

I didn't even know The Paper Chase was a movie. I remembered it was a TV show when I was a kid. I never watched it, but my mother did. It starred that guy who did those commercials about how EF Hutton earns their money the old fashioned way-- they earn it. I remember I hated him. He just seemed so smug! Like people are not working hard, except for creeps who think their portfolio is morally superior and oh so sweaty.

Aw.  Don't be dissing John Houseman!  He was a great actor with a very long career, going all the way back to the Mercury Theatre, which he co-founded with Orson Welles.  Ironically enough (considering the investment commercials), Houseman only got into acting after losing all his money in the 1929 stock market crash.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, PBnJay said:

You are correct. So funny, "The San Francisco Treat" def was a consolation prize. On every game show I think!

I spent too much time wondering how they knew how much Rice-a-Roni any given person was going to eat in a year.  My mom said they probably gave you 52 boxes, one a week.  But, tht didn't seem right to me. What if somebody wanted to eat it 3 times a day every day.

• LOL 12

17 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Anyway what I was thinking is when 3 people show up to play, 2 of them are going home, no matter what.

Absolutely.

16 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I don't know. She's pretty up on Eminem songs and lyrics.

And if I recall correctly, she's done very well in pop music categories in general.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And that wasn't even a consolation prize -- that was a real prize.  I think Rice-A-Roni was the consolation prize.

Man, as a kid I really wanted that Rice-A-Roni consolation prize!

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I would think it more common for a mind to jump to "phrase" upon being prompted with "prepositional ___". 

Exactly how I got it.

It was a decent game for me, I did better in 1922 than I imagined, did pretty well in Men of Mystery, though I confused Bierce with Greeley.

I could not parse FJ (that's what I get for saying yesterday that I was doing well with FJ). Mr Starling said "wilderness." I was clueless.

• Love 4

That 1890 census that declared that there was no more frontier is historically important because it inspired an essay called "The Significance of the Frontier in American History," by a historian named Frederick Jackson Turner, first published in 1893.  Turner's view was that the existence of a frontier, the availability of apparently unlimited land to the west, had shaped the American character by inspiring a notion of freedom and independence that wasn't found in most other countries.  That was a viewpoint that held sway among historians for a long time, although it's been challenged in the past 50 or 60 years.

I admit Turner's essay is probably pretty obscure, but it's fairly well known among those who study American history.  If you're familiar with it, as I was, "Frontier" is an insta-get.

• Useful 8
  • Love 6

I think Rice-A-Roni was the consolation prize.

Don't forget about Turtle Wax!

I loved The Paper Chase. It's a mystery as to why, with so many networks airing old TV shows, no one is showing it. Would love to see it again, after all these years. I still sometimes throw off a Prof. Kingsfield line that no one ever picks up on. In certain impossible situations, I'll make the suggestion, "Mr. Bell, consider the bus!", in my best haughty Kingsfield accent. 

All I've ever gotten is a blank look in response. But it's always appropriate, so I keep using it! 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I think if Amy has a weak area it's

She has tweeted that she tries to get the categories that she feels are her weakest out of the way first. So if you want to know what she feels are her weak points just watch what she picks first.

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Totally whiiffed on FJ

I feel like Mayim is doing a credible job playing Jeopardy host. But Ken IS the host. He inhabits the job,  he is of the game. 

Perfect summation of what I've been trying to express to myself. Thanks!

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I feel like Mayim is doing a credible job playing Jeopardy host. But Ken IS the host. He inhabits the job,  he is of the game. 

This is the perfect description. 

Mayim is an actress. She is playing the role of a Jeopardy! host and doing that credibly. Ken is not acting. He is Ken Jennings. He's not pretending to be a character, which is why sincerity shines through.

I thought I was OK with Mayim, but I watched the first two nights of the Professor's Tournament and then stopped watching. There's a level of disingenuousness to her hosting. I'm not at all certain I'll continue to watch Jeopardy! nightly if she is named the permanent host.

Originally, I was somewhat bothered by the timbre of Ken's voice, but as it turns out, I'm fine with it. Buzzy was my first choice, but I'm very happy with Ken now and will be upset if he isn't chosen as the permanent host of Jeopardy!

• Love 15

Ken is doing a great job as a host and I would enthusiastically support him as the permanent host. He’s really quick and witty. I don’t care at all about his voice, in fact, I like that’s its not a traditional game show host voice. Jeopardy really means something to Ken and the job should be his.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I loved The Paper Chase. It's a mystery as to why, with so many networks airing old TV shows, no one is showing it. Would love to see it again, after all these years. I still sometimes throw off a Prof. Kingsfield line that no one ever picks up on. In certain impossible situations, I'll make the suggestion, "Mr. Bell, consider the bus!", in my best haughty Kingsfield accent. 

All I've ever gotten is a blank look in response. But it's always appropriate, so I keep using it! 

Many moons ago in law school, my Contracts professor was known to start the first class by calling on the person whose name sounded closest to Hart. Not me, thankfully.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It's a mystery as to why, with so many networks airing old TV shows, no one is showing it. Would love to see it again, after all these years.

I just checked at IMDB, and apparently it can be rented or purchased via Amazon Prime.

My mother finally explained to me (when I was about 15) that contestants didn’t get a year’s supply of RaR at one, they got coupons or punch cards for a certain number of boxes.  I always envisioned a truck filling a garage with boxes of RaR.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

My mother finally explained to me (when I was about 15) that contestants didn’t get a year’s supply of RaR at one, they got coupons or punch cards for a certain number of boxes.  I always envisioned a truck filling a garage with boxes of RaR.

I can't be the only one who "liked" this post with a 😄 because I still picture a moving truck full of Rice-A-Roni being delivered to a "lucky" contestant. Didn't they also award these year's supply of Rice-A-Roni on Alex's Classic Concentration?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Aw.  Don't be dissing John Houseman!  He was a great actor with a very long career, going all the way back to the Mercury Theatre, which he co-founded with Orson Welles.  Ironically enough (considering the investment commercials), Houseman only got into acting after losing all his money in the 1929 stock market crash.

I mainly remember him as the grandfather on Silver Spoons!!

17 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn't they also award these year's supply of Rice-A-Roni on Alex's Classic Concentration?

I believe so!!! 🤣

• Love 2

I'm not finding Amy to be smug, but I guess it's a classic case of YMMV. She doesn't do anything that irritates me, but I am really sick of the runaways. I wouldn't mind if she won some more games, but only if they're actual, competitive games, and not one person way out front, and two others fighting for second place. That is really getting tiresome to watch. 

• Love 13

Koré charmed me with her story about "making a picture" with Shaun Cassidy.  I just love that older-fashioned way of putting it.  Avinash, on the other hand, I was done with as soon as he found the DD he was hunting for and bet small.  He deserved the audible eyeroll from Ken.

I would have really liked Ken's opening, about learning a "38th fact" about Amy, if he'd cut the list of 5 or 6 past stories.  Sometimes he just waxes too enthusiastic and goes on too long for me.  We don't need to begin every episode with such a long recitative about her, and oh by the way two others have joined us too.  I half want him to pull out an unfavorable stat about Amy's performance in the last game, and comment that the challengers might be able to exploit that, just for a change of pace!

3 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I'm not finding Amy to be smug, but I guess it's a classic case of YMMV.

I feel I know what others are picking up on when they say this.  I just can't verbalize what those things are (at least not succinctly), and I don't react the same way, but I think I "get" it.  There's probably a German compound noun for that or something. ;)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Terrible game today. Missed one each Explorers and -isms but 2-3 in everything else and four in Elements, which is a category I'm usually better at. I'll take comfort in knowing I at least got more than half (barely, 52%).

Got the missed clues of Woozles, plutonium, and Ben Platt.

Didn't get FJ but it made sense once I saw it.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I think that clue about Beethoven's 5th came up in FJ a while back. I enjoyed the clue then too.

As someone who has had two preemie siblings die and now works in a NICU, Amy's story hit home for me - and I appreciated Ken's callback to it at the end of the show.

No idea for FJ. I really hope Amy wins Monday, but poor Matt Amodio - guy works his way to second-longest streak ever, and his record doesn't even last to the end of the season before being matched by someone else. More than halfway to Ken's record though!

• Love 12