Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And, 853fisher, a LOT of people in the South get their pictures "made,"  ...even Selfies are made.  LOL.

I didn’t know that! Thanks. Where I went to school in SW Virginia must be too far “north south” for that. That usage makes me think of the way my grandmother, a New Englander, speaks, and of alternate forms like “make a party,” rather than give or throw one, which I heard a few times and use just because I like it.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Where I went to school in SW Virginia must be too far “north south” for that.

I wonder if you went to school at the large university near where I currently live.  They do attract a lot of folks from NoVa, and I don't expect they'd say that.  But I grew up in far SW Virginia (where I live now is really almost borderline, IMO), and heard it all the time.

27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.

My only TS was by and large.

I had an OK night.

Not an instaget at all for me, but as H was saying “the date must be significant” … “the height must be significant”… I just in time figured out that the “wood” was what’s significant. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Not an instaget at all for me, but as H was saying “the date must be significant” … “the height must be significant”… I just in time figured out that the “wood” was what’s significant. 

Yep, I focused on wood. Because, not trees, not plantlife, but specifically wood.

• Love 3

I always disliked winning streaks; I never thought they should have abolished the 5-game rule.  Having the limit put the emphasis on the game, not the contestants.  I guess I got tired of the people, but that's when I stopped watching.

I don't know why, but I love watching Amy play.  Her voice is lovely, and I am amazed at how much she knows.  I like her play style, and even her stories are relatively interesting.  I feel sorry for the other 2 contestants, but really, they have as much chance at winning as she does.  If she is quicker on the buzzer, quicker at figuring out the question. or just more knowledgeable, that's doesn't mean they're not worthy contestants.  It's not like she ha any real advantage going in as the one being challenged.  

I think because of his own experience, Ken is the perfect host for someone on a long winning streak like Amy's.  He obviously knows what it's like, and is able to comment/joke about it.

I thought tonight's game was ok, but I wouldn't have done well.  I thought FJ was pretty clear, and I was surprised not everyone got it.  

Edited by mjc570
to clarify what I meant
  • Love 8

Well, I didn't implode like I thought I might after two excellent games, but I sure wasn't very good.

I only ran word pairs in the first round.  I missed three in balderdash, and one or two in the others.

In DJ, the wheels came off the wagon a bit.  I only ran explorers (which I wasn't expecting; maybe in a first round, but not in DJ) and I didn't come close in any other category; I missed three each in symphonies and producers, and two each in the rest.

And I had no idea for FJ.  I could not figure out why wood would be exciting - and failed to twig to the important "supposed" part of the clue, but still wouldn't have got there - so moved on to the year, but without an area of the world, I just flailed around without a guess.  But, in looking up this tall tale, I did enjoy some delightfully pointed commentary from archaeologists, geologists, and historians, so it's not a total loss to end my week.

• Love 2

I had not a clue for FJ. I could have sat and stared at it for hours and not gotten the right answer. I just guessed a random tall mountain (Aconcagua.) Of course, as soon as I saw the correct answer the lightbulb went on and I thought “Oh now I get it!! Wood as in from the Ark. That makes sense.”

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 3
On 1/21/2022 at 12:13 AM, 30 Helens said:

This should be a really interesting ToC. The only downside is that Mayim will be hosting it. 

Thanks for harshing my mellow.

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

It was an instaget for this atheist, so… not sure what that means.

And for this agnostic.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Avinash, on the other hand, I was done with as soon as he found the DD he was hunting for and bet small.  He deserved the audible eyeroll from Ken.

I couldn't believe his low-ball bet after Ken propped him up by saying he could see Amy's score and to take advantage of finding a DD. Ken even said, "You know what to do."

And it turned out, Avinash did not know what to do. Audible eyeroll indeed.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It was an instaget for this atheist, so… not sure what that means. 🙃

I actually think it puts more emphasis on the contestants, in a way that appropriately honors the ones who do well.  If Ken had been limited to 5 games, he would have faded into obscurity.  But because he was allowed to accumulate win after win, he became a celebrity. And to me, that’s a good thing. We need more people who are celebrated because of their brains, rather than the color of their hair extensions, or some dance they did on TikTok. And if getting that recognition means letting Jeopardy contestants play as long as they can, I say: GO AMY.

There aren't many multiple day champions so there is no need to have a limit. I think long running champions inspire new contestants. Congratulations to Amy classical music isn't my best category either. i like both Ken and Mayim I think viewers aren't used to female game show hosts Vanna received criticism when she filled in for Pat. when he was ill.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I laughed about how no one knew anything about symphonies. I didn't expect that the be such a tough category. But we may have found Amy's weakness.

I know little-to-nothing of symphonies and classical music in general, but was able to infer 2 correct SYMPHONIES responses of Georgia O'Keefe and Farewell (TS).

OTOH, I'm a fair-to-middling bible scholar who lived for decades in the MOUNTAINS, but whiffed FJ because I looked at it as a natural history puzzle and came up with Mt. McKinley, trying to think of a mountain with wood(s) at a high elevation, taller than Mt. Shasta and likely (to me) explored in the western U.S. because of the relatively recent date of 1829.
Not carefully reading the FJ clue and the "burden of knowledge" struck me out again. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I actually think it puts more emphasis on the contestants, in a way that appropriately honors the ones who do well.  If Ken had been limited to 5 games, he would have faded into obscurity.  But because he was allowed to accumulate win after win, he became a celebrity. And to me, that’s a good thing. We need more people who are celebrated because of their brains, rather than the color of their hair extensions, or some dance they did on TikTok. And if getting that recognition means letting Jeopardy contestants play as long as they can, I say: GO AMY.

This is a very good point - thank you for opening my mind on this.  I did get tired of some of the contestants, though.  

• Love 5
22 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I admit Turner's essay is probably pretty obscure, but it's fairly well known among those who study American history.  If you're familiar with it, as I was, "Frontier" is an insta-get.

Former History prof here.  Yeah, Turner was the first thing I thought of.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Koré charmed me with her story about "making a picture" with Shaun Cassidy.  I just love that older-fashioned way of putting it.  Avinash, on the other hand, I was done with as soon as he found the DD he was hunting for and bet small.  He deserved the audible eyeroll from Ken.

The minute Avinash made that wager I looked at my husband and said “He just lost.”

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, secnarf said:

I think that clue about Beethoven's 5th came up in FJ a while back. I enjoyed the clue then too.

I remember that too.  I whiffed on it the first time and was very annoyed with myself, but I got it last night.  Later in the evening I turned on a classical music station and they were playing Beethoven's Fifth🙂

Almost instaget FJ.  I knew what the wood referred to then had to remember the mountain.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OTOH, I'm a fair-to-middling bible scholar who lived for decades in the MOUNTAINS, but whiffed FJ because I looked at it as a natural history puzzle and came up with Mt. McKinley, trying to think of a mountain with wood(s) at a high elevation, taller than Mt. Shasta and likely (to me) explored in the western U.S. because of the relatively recent date of 1829.
Not carefully reading the FJ clue and the "burden of knowledge" struck me out again. 

I also guessed McKinley for similar reasons. In my case though there is definitely no “burden of knowledge” - just lack of knowledge. I don’t think I ever knew that story about where the ark allegedly ended up. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, PaulaO said:

My mother finally explained to me (when I was about 15) that contestants didn’t get a year’s supply of RaR at one, they got coupons or punch cards for a certain number of boxes.  I always envisioned a truck filling a garage with boxes of RaR.

Me too!

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I can't be the only one who "liked" this post with a 😄 because I still picture a moving truck full of Rice-A-Roni being delivered to a "lucky" contestant. Didn't they also award these year's supply of Rice-A-Roni on Alex's Classic Concentration?

You are not the only one.

16 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

She tied Matt!   D’oh - wood. Now FJ is obvious once I heard the answer. 

I hadn't a clue, though I said Mt. Baldy (figuring it would be surprising to find wood<ie trees> above the tree line - whether or not that's true of Mt. Baldy). When I gave up, the mister said Mt. Ararat and said "wood, the arc, right"  I smacked my head.

12 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm an atheistically leaning agnostic, but though my parents didn't follow any particular religion, it was hard to miss the Judeo-Christian stories and beliefs around me. I can see where someone who didn't grow up with any of this in their daily life would have difficulty with, to them, obscure references.

I was an English Lit major, and Christian symbolism is very prevalent in literature. Yet, I missed FJ, even though I knew it.

Oh, Caprica, how I loved thee. Unfortunately too sci-fi for some, and not enough sci-fi for others. It was brilliant, imo. I wonder if Zuckerberg's metaverse ideawas influenced by it.

It was a pretty good game for me. I didn't run anything, but i got a lot of questions right, in areas that are my weakest.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
On 1/21/2022 at 9:59 PM, 30 Helens said:

I actually think it puts more emphasis on the contestants, in a way that appropriately honors the ones who do well.  If Ken had been limited to 5 games, he would have faded into obscurity.  But because he was allowed to accumulate win after win, he became a celebrity. And to me, that’s a good thing. We need more people who are celebrated because of their brains, rather than the color of their hair extensions, or some dance they did on TikTok. And if getting that recognition means letting Jeopardy contestants play as long as they can, I say: GO AMY.

I'm also an atheist who got FJ immediately - I blame it on all those terrible 1970s nonfiction movies, books and shows like **In Search of** that I as addicted to.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

I'm also an atheist who got FJ immediately - I blame it on all those terrible 1970s nonfiction movies, books and shows like **In Search of** that I as addicted to.

It shows how pervasive the christian religion has been in our everyday lives and for how long.

• Love 3
On 1/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Clanstarling said:

I'm an atheistically leaning agnostic, but though my parents didn't follow any particular religion, it was hard to miss the Judeo-Christian stories and beliefs around me. I can see where someone who didn't grow up with any of this in their daily life would have difficulty with, to them, obscure references.

That bolding is mine.  I became an atheist one "miraculous" day when I decided to miss Mass for the first time.  I was 25 and had been a lifelong happy Catholic...12yrs of Catholic school (generations of relatives, including nuns).  I'm 81 and STILL have Catholic friends ask about my "problems" with the Catholic Church (there are NO problems...I find all churches/religions very interesting); I just can't comprehend the God thing.  ANYWAY...I write to tell you that I'm often surprised about the "religious" things my middle-aged sons don't know.  I've felt almost responsible for their lack of knowledge...but what was I to teach them?  I'd use "teaching moments" (how I dislike that phrase!) when something came up.  They're smart guys...but there are a lot of "trivia" answers they'll miss.  BECAUSE OF ME!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 6
On 1/22/2022 at 12:21 AM, Prevailing Wind said:
On 1/22/2022 at 12:16 AM, kathyk24 said:

Vanna received criticism when she filled in for Pat. when he was ill.

Rightly so. She was terrible. You'd think after all these years, she'd know how the patter goes.

Perhaps she found her one and only "talent."  Didn't Merv Griffin hire her* because of her tiny body and large head? Knowing "the patter" is different from being able to do something well besides changes one's outfit and turn some cards.

*And Pat Sajak

Edited by Back Atcha
29 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

That bolding is mine.  I became an atheist one "miraculous" day when I decided to miss Mass for the first time.  I was 25 and had been a livelong happy Catholic...12yrs of Catholic school (generations of relatives, including nuns).  I'm 81 and STILL have Catholic friends ask about my "problems" with the Catholic Church (there are NO problems...I find all churches/religions very interesting); I just can't comprehend the God thing.  ANYWAY...I write to tell you that I'm often surprised about the "religious" things my middle-aged sons don't know.  I've felt almost responsible for their lack of knowledge...but what was I to teach them?  I'd use "teaching moments" (how I dislike that phrase!) when something came up.  They're smart guys...but there are a lot of "trivia" answers they'll miss.  BECAUSE OF ME!

Not because of you, but because they grew up in a different environment/time and can answer different trivia questions than you or I can. Sometimes I'm surprised at what my kids don't know - but then I'm often surprised and interested in the subjects they know better than I do (and not just pop culture).

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

That bolding is mine.  I became an atheist one "miraculous" day when I decided to miss Mass for the first time.  I was 25 and had been a livelong happy Catholic...12yrs of Catholic school (generations of relatives, including nuns).  I'm 81 and STILL have Catholic friends ask about my "problems" with the Catholic Church (there are NO problems...I find all churches/religions very interesting); I just can't comprehend the God thing.  ANYWAY...I write to tell you that I'm often surprised about the "religious" things my middle-aged sons don't know.  I've felt almost responsible for their lack of knowledge...but what was I to teach them?  I'd use "teaching moments" (how I dislike that phrase!) when something came up.  They're smart guys...but there are a lot of "trivia" answers they'll miss.  BECAUSE OF ME!

@Back Atcha,
First, ditto to what @Clanstarling just replied 👇

42 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Not because of you, but because they grew up in a different environment/time and can answer different trivia questions than you or I can. Sometimes I'm surprised at what my kids don't know - but then I'm often surprised and interested in the subjects they know better than I do (and not just pop culture).

And/or,
maybe you're kidding about it being your fault that your kids don't know bible trivia?

I knew a woman who taught Sunday School who had been "raised in the church" who assumed "Christ" was Jesus's last name (it's actually an honorific meaning "the anointed one").

Anyway, the (discounted) "finding" of the Ark (not "arc"!!) on Mt. Ararat, was reported widely by secular news.

But those tricky Jeopardy! clue-meisters began the clue with the irrelevant "First scaled in 1829," which totally threw me off. (I really need to parse the FJ clues more carefully!!! --as @Bastet pointed out back when I was a newbie to this board: look for the words following "this.")

The clue was seemingly alluding to a recent expedition as reported by Nat Geo in 2010: nationalgeographic.com/adventure/article/100428-noahs-ark-found-in-turkey-science-religion-culture

--which I only vaguely and incorrectly recalled; I thought the revealed FJ response was alluding to the Ark of the Covenant, à la Exodus or Indiana Joneshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_of_the_Covenant#Archaeology
--but that wouldn't have mattered, since the clue was looking for "... this 17,000-foot mountain...," which I did home in on, but, alas, I failed to ignore the 1829 misdirect, but I am not up on sports trivia, and thought mountain climbing in Europe and Asia would have been much earlier anyway, so I focused on the Americas. 

Back to religious trivia in Jeopardy! in general:
Parents who focus on stuff like Respect and Consent probably have morality covered, but it will probably be another decade before those concepts will show up as Jeopardy! clues in that way.

Meanwhile, I seem to recall clues from the past week that referred to Buddhism and Jainism and Hinduism, so "it's all good."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
On 1/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, bad things are bad said:

I feel like Mayim is doing a credible job playing Jeopardy host. But Ken IS the host. He inhabits the job,  he is of the game. 

I'm not a huge fan of either, but this is the best description of Mayim's hosting that I've yet to see. She's playing a role, and the thing is, she's not a good actress. She also comes across as weirdly smug. 

Plus, I can't help but not like her after her hawking of those brain pills she advertises. 

• Love 14

So Amy is tied with Matt. I have much respect for her skill at the game, her wide range of knowledge, and she really seems to be a lovely person based on her interviews.  

Having said that, and please feel free to correct me if my memory is fuzzy, I am not enjoying her run as much as I did Matt's.  It seems to me that a smaller number of Matt's games were runaways, and he came close to losing quite a few times before he actually did.

Again, nothing against Amy- I hope her streak continues, but it just seems that every single game is a huge blowout.  It just doesn't seem as exciting to watch.

Maybe having two winners with long streaks within a few months makes the second champ seem a bit "been there, done that".  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

It seems to me that a smaller number of Matt's games were runaways,

Of the 38 games he'd won coming into the one he finally lost, 32 of them were runaway wins.  Of the 38 Amy has won so far, 33 were runaways.

• Useful 9
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Of the 38 games he'd won coming into the one he finally lost, 32 of them were runaway wins.  Of the 38 Amy has won so far, 33 were runaways.

Ok then.  Pretty much the same.  But his run was interrupted by the hiatus, so maybe that's why it had a different feel.

• Love 1

Apropos of nothing exactly, I was thinking (dangerous!) and I feel a little bad for Matt Amodio, or at least as bad as I possibly can for someone who just won $1.5M.  Other "superchamps" got a little more time to themselves in the limelight, but he was supplanted in the general public consciousness by Amy barely a month later.  I wonder if he feels he lost a bit of an opportunity to do the rounds, try to pursue other projects, etc.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:27 PM, Browncoat said:

I wonder if you went to school at the large university near where I currently live.  They do attract a lot of folks from NoVa, and I don't expect they'd say that.  But I grew up in far SW Virginia (where I live now is really almost borderline, IMO), and heard it all the time.

I was at Washington & Lee in Lexington.  I did have friends and acquaintances "in town," mostly through my church, and don't recall them using the language in question.  Although about 2/3 of the student body is from the South, it occurs to me that most of the people I knew well on campus were like me, among those recruited aggressively from elsewhere because the school would like to change its image.  The conservative Old South types who still dominate didn't seem too interested in getting to know me, and I confess the feeling became mutual fast, so I guess upon reflection I'm not really sure whether they "take" or "make"!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

I follow Matt on Twitter and he has been pretty quiet lately.  I do think he is just very busy writing and preparing to defend his dissertation.  I believe he is due to graduate this spring. 
He appears to have his priorities straight.  Graduating and getting a job seem more important to him than milking his Jeopardy champ status.  He was talking about investing his winnings- he seems to be very practical.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I read somewhere that Amy does a podcast so on a whim I looked her up in my Apple podcasts and she has two. One is about Downton Abbey and the other is about reading tarot cards. I haven’t listened to an episode properly and I don’t think she’s done an episode in awhile but I think its kind of cool that Amy has such a wide range of interests.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I follow Matt on Twitter and he has been pretty quiet lately.  I do think he is just very busy writing and preparing to defend his dissertation.  I believe he is due to graduate this spring. 
He appears to have his priorities straight.  Graduating and getting a job seem more important to him than milking his Jeopardy champ status.  He was talking about investing his winnings- he seems to be very practical.

Apropos of nothing exactly, I was thinking (dangerous!) and I feel a little bad for Matt Amodio, or at least as bad as I possibly can for someone who just won $1.5M.  Other "superchamps" got a little more time to themselves in the limelight, but he was supplanted in the general public consciousness by Amy barely a month later.  I wonder if he feels he lost a bit of an opportunity to do the rounds, try to pursue other projects, etc.

I feel sorry that Matt's run as champ was overshadowed a bit by the Mike Richards drama and the revolving door of hosts. But otherwise, I'm happy that he has gone back to "normal" life. I hope that those who quit watching after he lost because there would be nothing but boring mediocre players from now on are paying attention to Amy.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Meanwhile, I seem to recall clues from the past week that referred to Buddhism and Jainism and Hinduism, so "it's all good."

Yes, and those clues never seem to upset people.  I'm always surprised at the contestants who don't know the simplest things about the Bible.  To me it's like Shakespeare, a big part of the English speaking culture, with references to Bible passages showing up in Russian, French and English literature.

I think it was James who said he learned a lot from books he found in the children's section of the library and I would have thought a quick read of "Bible Stories for Children,"  would be on any contestants list just like "Presidents of the United States."  I don't have to believe George Washington really cut down a cherry tree to know it's a legend associated with him.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was at Washington & Lee in Lexington.  I did have friends and acquaintances "in town," mostly through my church, and don't recall them using the language in question.  Although about 2/3 of the student body is from the South, it occurs to me that most of the people I knew well on campus were like me, among those recruited aggressively from elsewhere because the school would like to change its image.  The conservative Old South types who still dominate didn't seem too interested in getting to know me, and I confess the feeling became mutual fast, so I guess upon reflection I'm not really sure whether they "take" or "make"!

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I feel sorry that Matt's run as champ was overshadowed a bit by the Mike Richards drama and the revolving door of hosts. But otherwise, I'm happy that he has gone back to "normal" life. I hope that those who quit watching after he lost because there would be nothing but boring mediocre players from now on are paying attention to Amy.

Amy might be getting more publicity than Matt but it hasn't always been positive. I've seen posters on social media calling her a man. She could have been mugged by someone who saw her on television.

One of the reasons I like seeing Amy progress so far is that she brought visibility to trans people who live in everyday life, not only within the the celebrity community. Granted, she's a celebrity now. But even before hand, I'm sure she received negative responses within her everyday life.

She seems like a great person, and has a good sense of humor (her response to one of the posters on social media calling her a man was pretty humorous).

• Love 21
8 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, and those clues never seem to upset people. 

Because they don't appear with a fraction of the same frequency biblical clues do.  And I've never seen anyone complain about the mere existence of biblical clues in a trivia competition, just as I've never seen anyone complain about the existence of opera, Shakespeare, or Constitution clues.  But last season there were far more biblical clues than there typically are (in one random two-week stretch I checked, six of those ten games had religion categories, four of which were about Christianity, and there were scattered biblical clues in categories not devoted to religion as well), which is what got discussed here.  It seems we're getting back to a more typical percentage of clues, so I wonder if my theory Mike Richards was behind the increase was indeed correct.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

For the first time ever I pre-guessed FJ. I actually said to myself, well it would be nice if it was the Field Museum and when I saw the clue I knew it was right!

The minimal audience seems to mean that you don't always get applause when you run a category.

(I checked the rules several times and it's past 6 CT here now, but I feel odd being the first to post on today's game.

• Love 5

I enjoyed today's game and was surprised at one of the responses for From TV to film. AlthoughI could see how the names of Crockett and Tubbs COULD be a Beverly Hilbillies movie reference....

Overall, I like Amy...don't really care about streaks. I rarely pay attention to the contestants as Jeopardy for me has been proving to ME that at age 50, I still recall some things and learn other things....

• Love 7

93% 😲 / 53% / 73%

If ever there was gonna be an R&B/HipHop category I could possibly run, it would be one from the 90s! Also ran Roma Life & Culture, Government Agencies, and U2.

At the first commercial I hadn't missed a single clue! At the end of the round I only missed two (and they were both TSes)!

Bastet! 😺

Then I promptly missed the first six clues of the the second round. And several more after that. Got four each in Sci. Abbr. and Spices, at least.

No FJ. 

Got the missed clues of This Is How We Do It, Bulrushes (DD), poppy seeds, and Miami Vice. Now I want a poppy seed bagel.

I'm reading a book about the middle ages and just started the chapter on the Crusades at lunch today. That category couldn't have come a little later in the week? (I still got three of them, though I'll admit I got Antioch because of Monty Python, not my book.)

Just cuz it's so pretty, my round one score card:
image.png.1188de19b1ce56a559dd5e0e1aa50116.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

I'm watching today's show right now and I just have to say, Oh Amy, just no with the sweater/jacket combo! LOL! She had on a black and white stripped shirt with a black jacket last week that was very basic, but she looked great in. This hot pink/lavender combo is just not a good look. 

She still kicks ass as a player though! 

• Love 1

Ha - another Bastet clue.  But unfortunately not a cat statue (it was an archive game for me, but I can tell from the description, obviously).

I was a bit surprised by the Miami Vice TS, since I still hear Crockett & Tubbs referenced in things occasionally, and leaving the Sunshine State to go to Cuba was a pretty good hint.

Bummer on the "This Is How We Do It" TS; I love that song (and it's in a commercial right now, so I was a little surprised it wasn't fresh in at least one contestant's mind) and I loved that category - '90s R&B and hip-hop is my jam.  I ran that one, gov't agencies, and rattle & hum in the first round. 

Good for the writers atoning for their horrible "gypsy" nonsense by including a category about the Roma.  I missed two of those, and one each in the remaining two categories.

In DJ, I found the before & after category a lot of fun (I always like those, but for some reason I particularly enjoyed this one).  I ran that one, plus spices and abbreviations.  I missed two each in films and crusades, and one in bodies of water, so another great round.

Then came FJ.  With more time, I might have reasoned my way to it, but I didn't have a guess.

• Love 2

Ugh.  Another ridiculous runaway.  I keep hoping Ay will pull a Cliff Clavin.

I said Smithsonian.

I got the missed clues of bulrushes and Miami Vice.

I got the entire categories of government agencies and before and after right.  Which is surprising.  I usually do pretty badly in before and after .

Shoutout to @Bastet!  I got that TS along with bulrushes, sand dunes, and Miami Vice.

However, I did not get FJ.  I should have done.  I've been there, and really enjoyed it!  

Oh, End Woman whose name I've forgotten, being afraid of flying but flying anyway is not irony.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4