Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

We've become spoiled. Leaving clues on the board makes me cranky.

Still, I thought there was some personality being shown and some fun being had at various moments. I don't recall that usually happening during gameplay, and I kind of like it. I think Ken is somehow fostering that environment.

I'd love to see Amy as a host, but not until she's really done with the TOC and any future tournaments she might qualify for.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For some reason, I got Springsteen stuck in my head and never got around to Denver.

I actually thought of Denver first- but in regards to West Virginia 'Country Roads' then I realized that didn't fit the clue and remembered 'Rocky Mountain High' and then realized that I had the right answer anyway.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I actually thought of Denver first- but in regards to West Virginia 'Country Roads' then I realized that didn't fit the clue and remembered 'Rocky Mountain High' and then realized that I had the right answer anyway.

Same here. I was almost certain it was John Denver but I couldn’t figure out the drug connection in County Roads. I went with him anyway.  

Oh yeah, it had to be an official state song. Don’t tell that to the WVU football crowds. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, they definitely shouldn't have accepted her FJ response.  She didn't complete it.  

I didn’t even notice that “Denver” wasn’t completed. I was too busy being amused by the fact that she almost credited Bob Denver, and wondering which state might see itself in the Theme from Gilligan’s Island. (“Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of I-o-wa…”)

I think Ken misses Amy, too.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Does anyone know if a Jeopardy! champ just didn't come back at a certain point? Like they couldn't keep doing this and keep their job?  Or other priorities came into play?

Here is a discussion about that. It's from 2016, so I don't know if it's happened since.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight, and I don't for one minute believe him when he says it wasn't about drugs.  My mother and sister went to one of his concerts back in the day (they said I was too young and wouldn't take me), and they came back smelling all funny and stuff.

I always got more of a "high on life and nature's beauty" vibe from the song, so I would believe John Denver. He wouldn't have had any control over what the audience did at his concerts. You never know, though. I grew up thinking "Puff the Magic Dragon" was an innocent song about a dragon and his little boy pal. Then word got out it was full of drug references. Then I read Snopes, the website debunking urban legends, and according to them it was...an innocent song about a dragon and his little boy pal.

Anyway, I agree about "John Denve." I remember when they ruled a contestant wrong on "Waitin for Godot." I was happy to get FJ. My only hesitation was trying to remember when he died (it was 1997). Before the clue was revealed, I was all set for the answer to be Carole King.

I also knew concord, Riverdale, Family Matters, the DD of "coy," and Six Degrees of Separation (somewhat ironic in view of Sidney Poitier's recent death). I also wonder if they would have accepted "Temple of Jerusalem" without specifying "second."

• Love 7
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I didn’t even notice that “Denver” wasn’t completed. I was too busy being amused by the fact that she almost credited Bob Denver, and wondering which state might see itself in the Theme from Gilligan’s Island. (“Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of I-o-wa…”)

I assumed she was going for Bob Dylan (which was my first thought but I couldn't think what song it might be) but...maybe Hawaii? 😛

I couldn't tell if Carrie's E and R were sort of written on top of each other because maybe she ran out of room or she just wrote a messed up E and didn't finish the word. I guess they were giving her the benefit of the doubt...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

18 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Amy mentioned in a recent article that she had been considering a job change, and her winnings would give her the freedom to pursue other things. So my guess is she won’t be going back. I also read an interview where she was asked if she’d like to host Jeopardy. She laughed and said sure, she’d consider it if asked. (sorry, I don’t have links for these articles) I think Jeopardy is already full up with hosts, but as I’ve said before, I’d love to see her in the rotation on The Chase.

I think I remember reading that Ken left his job about midway through his run.

Yes, the winnings might not set her up for life, but it would certainly give her breathing room. (which is what I thought and didn't explicitly say, my bad). And since she's signed with CAA, I'm guessing she's taking some

14 hours ago, IdEatThat said:

The replay of Rhône’s reaction at winning was priceless.   I like this lighter side of Jeopardy and I hope Ken stays on permanently as host.

I loved that moment too. Still a little sad that Rhone didn't make it - but I do like the new champ's voice. Very soothing.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, they definitely shouldn't have accepted her FJ response.  She didn't complete it.  the providence/provenance thing doesn't bother me, because the close answers that sound alike often get through until a later correction.

I don't know about FJ - the scribbles can be hard to decipher. And even on our couch, when we were saying to each other, providence and provenance were still a little hard to distinguish (old, bad ears).

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

We had a laugh at that, I call it a fuzzy logic search - you search your mind for Denver, and if you're old enough, Bob is the first one to come to mind.

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I always got more of a "high on life and nature's beauty" vibe from the song, so I would believe John Denver. He wouldn't have had any control over what the audience did at his concerts. You never know, though. I grew up thinking "Puff the Magic Dragon" was an innocent song about a dragon and his little boy pal. Then word got out it was full of drug references. Then I read Snopes, the website debunking urban legends, and according to them it was...an innocent song about a dragon and his little boy pal.

I always thought the context of the song was clearly just about being high on life and nature, and thought the drug interpretation was really reaching.  In my memory, this song played over and over again when we moved away from Colorado. But it turns out I was wrong - it wasn't released until after our move. So it was salt in the wound as I got used to our new "home." Funny how memories work.

Anyway, Denver was an instaget.

I did fairly well. I almost ran "Line" but the Sidney Poitier line didn't click fast enough (Jeopardy curse?) I did well in some categories, and pathetically in others.

I only got one in Prophets - but when it comes to biblical knowledge, the actual stories of the prophets weren't those I retained. I can recognize some names. But very little context.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I got coy Family Matters and Riverdale. I knew John Denver but I thought the song was Country Roads since the lyrics mention West Virginia.

Interesting that it didn't matter if you knew the song.
Another thing that doesn't matter, but, anyway:

image.png.05769eda3a1b7b86cbfce345cf4f215a.png

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We (Atlanta) got a crawl on the bottom of our screen last night saying WoF & J! will be on the sister station, channel 36, during the Olympics.  I wonder what the NBC affiliates without a sister station will do.

It's always on ABC where I am.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same here. I was almost certain it was John Denver but I couldn’t figure out the drug connection in County Roads. I went with him anyway.  

Oh yeah, it had to be an official state song. Don’t tell that to the WVU football crowds. 

Actually, "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (that's the full title) IS one of two official West Virginia state songs; it became one in 2014, giving John Denver the rare distinction of singing/co-writing TWO hits that would eventually become state songs.

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

Six Degrees of Separation is one of my favorite plays (and movies) so it made me very sad that is was a TS.  I was too tired to try to watch the film last night but I think I know what my Saturday night viewing will be. 

I am of the right generation for FJ to be an instaget but now thanks to reading the comments, I think the Gilligan's Island theme will be playing in my head all day (probably alternating with Amazing Grace since you can sing them both in the same rhythm).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I read the list of state songs on Wikipedia a while ago, for no particular reason.  I find it interesting to note which states use songs from the popular canon and which use more "traditional" music.

I really like "I Love You, California," but the state of my birth, Maryland, recently became one of only two states with no official song, when it ditched its awful martial poem to the tune of "O Tanenbaum."  Among other things, it refers to the Union as "northern scum"; calls Lincoln a tyrant, a vandal, and a despot; and declares that "Virginia should not call in vain...sic temper [tyrannis]."  Real wining stuff, in other words.

Others are less outrageous but don't seem quite apt.  Among Tennessee's 10(!) is "Tennessee Waltz."  Sure, it has Tennessee in the title, but the lyrics are about introducing a friend to your lover and watching them leave together.  I've only driven through that state, but I don't recall cuckolding among its outstanding characteristics.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

the song "Georgia" (which I don't remember)

I thought it was this song I've always liked by Walter Donaldson, one of the big names from the "great American songbook."  But it was a different one entirely, with words by the Southern poet Robert Loveman and music by "Mrs. Lollie Belle Wylie," a classic old name if ever I heard one.  I couldn't readily find it online.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

giving John Denver the rare distinction of singing/co-writing TWO hits that would eventually become state songs.

I wonder if that has ever been a clue in one of their state songs categories.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't for one minute believe him when he says it wasn't about drugs.  My mother and sister went to one of his concerts back in the day (they said I was too young and wouldn't take me), and they came back smelling all funny and stuff.

John Denver was never about drugs, but concert goers of that time period were. It was common practice for concert audiences to all light up a joint as soon as the lights dimmed, it didn't matter who was performing. Joints would be passed down rows and everyone would take a toke, then pass it on. As someone who never partook, I pretty much got high at a Beach Boys concert just by being in the audience and breathing. 

He did have an alcohol problem which worsened after his divorce. That combined with depression led to multi DUIs, his pilot's license being revoked, and his death by suicide. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I was looking at the stats and Friday's game was ... not good. 😟

There were two clues left on the board; one in each round. There was a missed DD in DJ and ELEVEN triple stumpers!!! 😯  (Seven in the first round, four in DJ.)

Triple Stumpers: concord, the liberation of Rome, a Mandarin collar, hamster, Riverdale, provenance, Family Matters, building the second temple of Jerusalem, gaff, Six Degrees of Separation and Elijah. Whew!

I miss Amy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
50 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

John Denver was never about drugs, but concert goers of that time period were. It was common practice for concert audiences to all light up a joint as soon as the lights dimmed, it didn't matter who was performing. Joints would be passed down rows and everyone would take a toke, then pass it on. As someone who never partook, I pretty much got high at a Beach Boys concert just by being in the audience and breathing. 

He did have an alcohol problem which worsened after his divorce. That combined with depression led to multi DUIs, his pilot's license being revoked, and his death by suicide. 

He was killed in a plane crash (despite the fact that, yes, his pilot's license had been revoked), and as far as I know, it has only ever been reported on as being a tragic accident.

7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

the Sidney Poitier line didn't click fast enough (Jeopardy curse?) 

I noticed that, too! He died earlier this month, and this episode would have been taped in November. It's like when Christopher Plummer died and then there was a whole category where he read the clues. SO bizarre.

• Love 8

I just read the NYT article someone linked for us a while ago, and it says Amy was robbed in the lobby of her building. That's so traumatic! I'd think it would be worse than being robbed out in public, somehow. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/26/style/amy-schneider-jeopardy.html

I had recently read an article about the Denver situation, so I got FJ for a change. I don't know why I was reading this article this week, since it's years old. But I was. Someone must have sent it to me? I don't know.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/10/2/2055719/-Let-s-just-take-a-moment-to-honor-John-Denver

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, UYI said:

He was killed in a plane crash (despite the fact that, yes, his pilot's license had been revoked), and as far as I know, it has only ever been reported on as being a tragic accident.

Do some research. A friend who is an aviator for a major airline and has knowledge of the event and has been to the crash site is the one who clued me his plane crash was intentional. As an experienced pilot, Denver knew his plane was almost out of fuel. He was doing touch and goes near the water, and chose to crash there. No, he didn't leave a note but he did leave a handgun in his car because he was getting death threats. 

Yeah, I was shocked to learn it wasn't his "experimental aircraft" failing, but that's what we wanted to hear, not that he was beyond help. No one talked about being suicidal or struggling with depression then. 

I posted this on January 22 in another thread:

"I was thinking today that when Amy loses we'll be back to clues left on the board, dozens of TSs every game, and DD wagers of $1,000 considered bold and daring. I'm enjoying this good player while we have her."

Welcome back to regular Jeopardy games everyone!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, PBnJay said:

Do some research. A friend who is an aviator and has knowledge of the event and has been to the crash site is the one who clued me his plane crash was intentional. As an experience pilot, he knew his plane was almost out of fuel. He was doing touch and goes near the water, and chose to crash there. No, he didn't leave a note but he did leave a handgun in his car because he was getting death threats. 

Yeah, I was shocked to learn it wasn't his "experimental" aircraft failing, but that's what we wanted to hear, not that he was beyond help. No one talked about being suicidal or struggling with depression then. 

Oh wow, I had no idea. I knew about his alcoholism, of course, but that was it. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I'd be curious to know that, too.

I looked it up, and the other person to write two state songs was Stephen Foster, writer of "Swanee River" (Florida), and the self-explanatory "My Old Kentucky Home".

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, UYI said:

Oh wow, I had no idea. I knew about his alcoholism, of course, but that was it. 

I feel your pain. I was such a fan, I had his picture on the wall of my work cube and still have all his albums. When my aviator friend said that to me and I did some research, it upset me for days, and still does, although I've come to terms with it since I understand how overwhelming depression can be.

A couple months ago a Chicago radio host played one of his songs, he plays a "golden oldie" every week, then gives background on it. He had interviewed John Denver twice. The first time he said Denver was the most delightful and bright person he had ever talked with. The second time was after Denver's divorce and he said John was a different person, withdrawn and dark. I heard that radio episode shortly after my aviator friend and I had been discussing John's death and it helped me make more sense out of -- what was to me -- a tragedy.

• Love 7

31 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Do some research. A friend who is an aviator for a major airline and has knowledge of the event and has been to the crash site is the one who clued me his plane crash was intentional. As an experienced pilot, Denver knew his plane was almost out of fuel. He was doing touch and goes near the water, and chose to crash there. No, he didn't leave a note but he did leave a handgun in his car because he was getting death threats. 

What I remember from the crash (and living close by) is that he ditched into the water in order to avoid crashing into houses. Your friend's knowledge is, of course, most likely closer to the sad truth, but there's no reason it couldn't be a combination of both - he wanted to crash, but didn't want to hurt anyone.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

I was looking at the stats and Friday's game was ... not good. 😟

There were two clues left on the board; one in each round. There was a missed DD in DJ and ELEVEN triple stumpers!!! 😯  (Seven in the first round, four in DJ.)

Triple Stumpers: concord, the liberation of Rome, a Mandarin collar, hamster, Riverdale, provenance, Family Matters, building the second temple of Jerusalem, gaff, Six Degrees of Separation and Elijah. Whew!

I miss Amy.

I think we've been spoiled about clearing the boards this season.  Andy on The Jeopardy Fan has been keeping statistics - looking at the last show of the last few seasons:

Season 38 (so far) - Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 16 (0.16 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Season 37 - Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 211 (0.92 per episode average), 2 Daily Doubles - (almost 1/day average)

GOAT Tournament - Unplayed clues:
Game 1, J! round: None!
Game 1, DJ! round: None!
Game 2, J! round: None!
Game 2, DJ! round: None!
Total Points Left On Board: 0 (obviously that's an outlier)

Season 36 - Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 381 (2.02 per episode average), 5 Daily Doubles - (over 2/day average!)

• Useful 3

I was thinking that during Amy's 40 days there was only one game they didn't clear the boards. But I was wrong. It's 3. Looking at J!Archive, on 11/23, there were 4 clues left in DJ. On 12/14, there were 3 clues left in DJ. On 1/7, there were 2 clues left in DJ.

• Useful 1

I've done more than my share of complaining lately, but I never have understood why they don't make their minds up to lose 15 seconds if needed to get a last clue out there.  The show is more extensively edited than it appears, I've learned over the years.  For instance, the stand-and-stare pauses are shortened.  Just do a little more there, or take 5 minutes on set and retape the opening remarks shorter, or edit the most tragically dull contestant story, or something!  Of course it's not the end of the world, but it has always struck me as entirely unnecessary to miss any clues at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

In reference to time on this show, I have noticed they no longer do the "Less than a minute to go in this round" to the contestants. Maybe that was an Alex thing?

As for John Denver's death. It was an accident..a tragic accident. Any fan of John's knows that he struggled with things in life but his attitude was to fight through it and embrace the joy of the world around him. Plus, he was supposed to sign a record contract that week. His first in a long time and he desperately wanted to record his new music. He also had three kids that he adored more than anything. You will never convince me otherwise.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

In reference to time on this show, I have noticed they no longer do the "Less than a minute to go in this round" to the contestants. Maybe that was an Alex thing?

I heard Ken say it at least twice this week.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I've done more than my share of complaining lately, but I never have understood why they don't make their minds up to lose 15 seconds if needed to get a last clue out there. 

Yes and while they're at it get some answer boards that are easier to write on so we'll know if it's Bob Denve or the pen skipped on the r.

I can remember when every new song was rumored to be about drugs.  The people who started the rumors were all stoned.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I've done more than my share of complaining lately, but I never have understood why they don't make their minds up to lose 15 seconds if needed to get a last clue out there.  The show is more extensively edited than it appears, I've learned over the years.  For instance, the stand-and-stare pauses are shortened.  Just do a little more there, or take 5 minutes on set and retape the opening remarks shorter, or edit the most tragically dull contestant story, or something!  Of course it's not the end of the world, but it has always struck me as entirely unnecessary to miss any clues at all.

I don't believe that any of the opening remarks or contestant stories eat into the time allocated for playing the round, regardless of how editing might make it appear. Google suggests that each round lasts 6.5 minutes, which is a maximum of 13 minutes. But they would never be in a situation where non-gameplay went long so they cut the game to 12 minutes and 45 seconds.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes and while they're at it get some answer boards that are easier to write on so we'll know if it's Bob Denve or the pen skipped on the r.

Good point! I recall nearly 10 years ago how delighted I was when the signature pad for CVS got upgraded so my signature didn't look like Morse Code.
We've seen some artistic signatures on the Jeopardy! pads, but maybe they don't work well when you're writing fast?
And/or maybe the pen has to be held at a particular angle in relation to the pad?

image.png.05769eda3a1b7b86cbfce345cf4f215a.png

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

While I think these recent episodes have not been especially challenging in terms of difficulty (although I was surprised at the amount of TS in the 12/28/21 game, the most recent, at least here), I am enjoying them very much.

I have not wanted to put this out to seem like I'm hating on Amy but I've watched a good chunk of her run and I feel like the questions have been much easier than I remembered from the past. Like, I'm not especially knowledgeable and I don't memorize trivia and I could get a good chunk of the answers unlike when they would do whole categories about mountain ranges in Africa. I'm sure they did restructuring and whatnot after the Mike Richards debacle but my pet conspiracy is that he was somehow involved in making the questions easier to make the show more accessible and "fun" rather than challenging. I also wonder how much they play to someone's strengths choosing categories when they're on a hot streak but that might get too close to cheating with all those game show rules. 

I also don't find her especially charming (though I can't remember liking any champion that much) but I appreciate what her streak has done for trans visibility. 

• Love 1

There's no need to give the "less than a minute" warning if the clues are being answered so swiftly they're easily going to finish the board before time for the round is called.  So we haven't heard it as often lately, but, as noted, it was given in the last two games, where they were cutting it close on time and, in fact, left one clue uncovered in each game.

• Love 2

I am guessing they use a strict time limit for each round so as to prevent players from dallying in their clue selections. It makes the game faster paced and more tense than if they risked contestants drawing things out. If there wasn't a time limit, they could wind up in a situation where a particularly slow group would not be able to finish the game even if they cutcorners on the chatty parts of the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

where a particularly slow group would not be able to finish the game even if they cutcorners on the chatty parts of the show.

The chatty parts of the show have nothing to do with not clearing the boards. The game play has a time clock. Once that time is up, play is over. As noted above, it's 6.5 minutes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I know that. Upthread people were wondering why they keep the time limit instead of allowing all the clues to be revealed. A suggestion was made that they should allow the board to be cleared and just take some time off the other parts of the show. And I was saying that I think they keep the time limit so that the contestants will not be tempted to play slowly. 

On 1/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, Bastet said:

I think…maybe yes? I had a nagging feeling I had seen that clue before, and now I feel I’ve seen one about the two state songs (possibly in a FJ). That, or I’m just highly suggestible. If I knew where to look up such things, I’d try to do some research.

My .02 on the plane crash: Regardless of how things may look, you can never know what is in someone’s mind. In the absence of solid proof, I think it’s appropriate to believe whatever makes sense to you.

• Love 4

The reason for the time clock is to keep the games fair - every contestant is playing the same game. If you let one group of contestants have more time to clear the board than another, those contestants are not playing the same game.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I also wonder how much they play to someone's strengths choosing categories when they're on a hot streak but that might get too close to cheating with all those game show rules. 

I was interested in this last week and found an article about how the writers come up with clues and categories, then make a mock board for single and double jeopardy after which they're filed and games are pulled out randomly, possibly years later.

That was a Vulture article I can no longer get, but here's another interesting one.  The vulture piece said Alex (2017) had a brief look at it ahead of time, probably so he could be sure about pronunciations.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/cast-crew/inside-jeopardy-writers-room

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't believe that any of the opening remarks or contestant stories eat into the time allocated for playing the round, regardless of how editing might make it appear. Google suggests that each round lasts 6.5 minutes, which is a maximum of 13 minutes. But they would never be in a situation where non-gameplay went long so they cut the game to 12 minutes and 45 seconds.

Right.  The opening remarks and contestant anecdotes are things I believe the show will rerecord if they go too long.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, UYI said:

Actually, "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (that's the full title) IS one of two official West Virginia state songs; it became one in 2014, giving John Denver the rare distinction of singing/co-writing TWO hits that would eventually become state songs.

West Virginia actually has four state songs! The West Virginia Hills; This is My West Virginia; West Virginia, My Home Sweet Home; and Country Roads (officially added to the list in March 2014). 

(From the West Virginia State Museum website)

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The reason for the time clock is to keep the games fair - every contestant is playing the same game. If you let one group of contestants have more time to clear the board than another, those contestants are not playing the same game.

That doesn't make sense to me. If a game didn't have a time limit rule, then it wouldn't be unfair for players to take more time than others, which would mean some games are faster or slower than others. 

I still think they set the limits to keep things moving and within the episode's inherent time constraints, and put more pressure and tension into the situation, but unless someone from the show weighs in on how they made up the rules, all either of us is doing is guessing.

15 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I have not wanted to put this out to seem like I'm hating on Amy but I've watched a good chunk of her run and I feel like the questions have been much easier than I remembered from the past. Like, I'm not especially knowledgeable and I don't memorize trivia and I could get a good chunk of the answers unlike when they would do whole categories about mountain ranges in Africa. I'm sure they did restructuring and whatnot after the Mike Richards debacle but my pet conspiracy is that he was somehow involved in making the questions easier to make the show more accessible and "fun" rather than challenging. I also wonder how much they play to someone's strengths choosing categories when they're on a hot streak but that might get too close to cheating with all those game show rules. 

I also don't find her especially charming (though I can't remember liking any champion that much) but I appreciate what her streak has done for trans visibility. 

An independent firm randomly selects the categories to prevent exactly that. There is no way the clues are written or selected for a specific player. As to when boards are easy, to use an acronym we haven't much lately, IEIYKI. (It's easy if you know it.)  I don't think her boards over all were easier or harder than any other boards. Some I did well on, some not. 

People are also used to the machinations on "reality" shows, and I wonder if that isn't why recently so many people essentially keep asking if Jeopardy! is manipulating the outcome. There are a lot of rules and guards against any sort of cheating after the game show scandals.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10