Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 1/17/2022 at 5:00 PM, Browncoat said:

And of course I knew Christopher Wren immediately.

I said Wren because he's pretty much the only one I know during that era (and when it involves old buildings in England).

On 1/17/2022 at 7:07 PM, secnarf said:

Not gonna lie, I wondered if they were going to ding Amy for FJ because she spelled it Tyrannosarus Rex instead of Tyrannosaurus Rex. One could argue that that changes the pronunciation.

I kind of got the sense that there were so many letters there they didn't notice, but given that they accepted T-Rex, it would be brutal if they didn't accept her misspelling.

I don't generally get on my high horse about accepting answers, but the category was scientific names, not colloquial versions of scientific names, so I was not happy that they accepted T-Rex.

I did okay on these games, but I'm not really up to snuff so far this week.  I have no real excuse, just a dim bulb which will  hopefully get charged up soon.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
On 1/17/2022 at 8:36 PM, zoey1996 said:

Of course you did!

My funny Hampton Court Palace story. I was about a third of the way through the tour, hearing about William of Orange and Mary. Suddenly it hit me - that was our William and Mary! 

Knew the W&Mers would be posting - I too feel possessive towards our Royal Couple.  

Years ago Mother Grundoon and I were in London visiting St. Pauls and we were touring the crypt area.  They had extra guides on duty for some reason and one gave us a personal tour.  We got to talking about Christopher Wren and he was very interested to hear about W&M and the Wren Building since he and his wife were planning a visit to the DC area and were trying to include parts of Maryland and Virginia.  In exchange, he made some recommendations of other sites we should see in London that were a little off the usual tourist path. 

My Michigander heart hurt that no one knew Lake Huron.  I have two friends who have built/are building retirement homes in the Thumb in large part because of the spectacular sunrises. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm a little surprised that, with all that extra time to think about it, Dan didn't have an "a-ha!" moment when Taryn said "alert & alter" and come up with the right answer, but I know it's a lot easier at home!

I really, really feel that sometimes our (or their) ingrained code of conduct inappropriately kicks in at times like this, when someone gets it -almost- right, but not quite. I somehow think that the contestants feel it's not polite to get a correct answer this way, or maybe they think it would be embarrassing to the person that messed it up, it sometimes seems that when someone does ring in after a mistake like this on someones part, they look apologetic for getting the answer. It's not always of course but sometimes I think that's why no one rings in even though they should.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, bad things are bad said:

We camp on the Sunrise Side every year, so that was a gimme

I have camped many times on the Sunset side.  I'll wave next time!

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

On a shallow note, I love the color of Amy's blouse tonight.  She's worn quite a few colors I really liked.

I didn't dislike the colour per se, but the lighting and shadows on the blouse made it look as if she had giant pit stains.

• Love 4

Ken's right, it would have been helpful to know that "The Paper Chase" was about law students.  Unfortunately, it sounded to me like paper-pushing, so I said "Office Space" just to have something.  I was only off by 2 years!  I'm vaguely familiar with "Legally Blonde" and "Clueless" but haven't seen any of the three movies in the clue and response.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I'm vaguely familiar with "Legally Blonde" and "Clueless" but haven't seen any of the three movies in the clue and response.

It was the Archive for me because of the president, I usually read through it too fast to keep track of what I got and what I didn't. I did get FJ but I'm not sure if I would've got it in time if I had watched the show. It sort of went- Clueless a romcom, Paper Chase lawyers, hmmm, oh wait, that Reese Witherspoon movie about the lawyers in Harvard? um, oh, yeah Legally Blonde (while picturing the little dog and the colorful laptop in my head) I have seen it and Clueless, but not Paper Chase, I knew it was about law students though.

• Love 4

70% / 63% / 67%

Not a terrible game for not having run a single category. (I mean, I ran a category on Monday and still managed only 53% for the round...though my end score was the same as today!) My only TSes were 600 (the only one in the first round), and Prince Edward Island (which was a guess based on the word Islander in the clue), but I got all the DDs. No FJ, though. Might have helped if I knew anything about The Paper Chase.

I liked Dimitri. "I've always wanted to say this....two hundred." 😄

Am I the only one who was glad Mayim was not there for the Big Bang clue?

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Amy truly baffles me with her FJ answers lately. That was one of the easiest FJ in living memory and the movie is constantly on. I guess if you don’t know what the Paper Chase is. But Never Been Kissed wasn’t even a 2000s movie.

If you tally up all the money Amy has lost on FJ its a formidable amount. 

• Love 7

Dimitri was doing so well. I wonder if he got embarrassed and distracted by saying "I've always wanted to say this....two hundred" instead of "a true daily double"? 😐

My mom always said it "2 sheets to the wind," so, even though I've heard "3 sheets to the wind," I was glad when the judges ruled "2" was okay.

2001 was a year of much upheaval in my life, so I kind of psyched myself out of the possibility of knowing movies from that year for FJ. 
However, I did see Legally Blonde a few years later (still nearly 20 years ago), and recently watched Clueless, but I am not familiar with The Paper Chase, so it wasn't until Ken said, "Did our players remember that the original movie, The Paper Chase, is set in law school?" that I knew the movie was Legally Blonde, but didn't quite get to the title in time, and, even if I had, that would be too late to count.

I ran "BIG" TALK, so hurray for that.

I did not care for Amy's green outfit yesterday, but loved her ensemble today with the black and white print blouse
--definitely something I would have purchased to wear in front of a class. 
Or is it a very expensive piece purchased to rightfully reward herself at that point in her winning streak?
Before I retired I did have "champagne taste on beer bottle budget."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

If you tally up all the money Amy has lost on FJ its a formidable amount. 

It's probably more than all the money the people she's defeated get as a consolation prize.

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

70% / 63% / 67%

Not a terrible game for not having run a single category. (I mean, I ran a category on Monday and still managed only 53% for the round...though my end score was the same as today!) My only TSes were 600 (the only one in the first round), and Prince Edward Island (which was a guess based on the word Islander in the clue), but I got all the DDs. No FJ, though. Might have helped if I knew anything about The Paper Chase.

I got the Prince Edward clue because of King Edward potatoes, not that there's any relationship :-)

The lawyer contestant should have answered "The jury's out" when Ken asked her about the merits of "Legally Blonde."

• LOL 7

The 600 TS surprised me; that poem gets asked about a lot on this show, so I would have bet money at least one of three people who studied to compete would know it (good thing there's no actual consequence to my predictions on whether something will go unanswered).

Dimitri's "I've always wanted to say this....two hundred" for the world leaders DD made me laugh.  As did Ashley's response to Ken asking her if she's a fan of Legally Blonde.

I got everything right in the first round, and with more clues I factually knew than usual (there's typically more figuring it out from the wording of/hints in the clue or guessing).  One big exception:  I had never heard "keeping it 100".  (But that's the number that seemed most logical for meaning "absolutely" something, so I guessed correctly.)

In DJ, I only ran big, so I was not on fire like I had been, but I did well, missing two each in Mexico and cemeteries, and one each in the rest.

And then FJ was an instaget; I only like a few things about the film, but since it's on TV all the time, I've had numerous occasions to watch those parts.  I love Clueless, and have seen The Paper Chase a couple of times, so that was easy peasy for me. 

• Love 2

I'm surprised how poorly Amy has been doing in FJ, especially tonight which I thought she would have gotten easily, given her vast range of knowledge on all kinds of areas.  I do like the fact the she bets big anyway. I don't really have a basis for saying this, but to me that shows she's not in it entirely for the money, which I also think is expressed in her style of play.  She's not hunting around looking for DDs or only playing high value clues.

I thought both contestants tonight, at least initially, had a shot at making it harder for her if not winning it themselves.

Speaking of FJ tonight - I can't believe I didn't get it. it seems so obvious now.

• Love 3

I had actually heard that reference before for FJ, but as my brain is completely shot right now I wasn't able to think of the correct answer, and guessed Bring It On vaguely based on the time period and "Clueless".

• Love 4

I saw The Paper Chase movie and the TV series. Also I’ve seen at least two Legally Blonde movies, so that was pretty easy.

I know of three places for potatoes: Idaho, Oregon, and Jersey in the Channel Islands. Don’t know why, but PEI makes me think of mussels. Is that a thing there?

Loved the Bassett Hound!

• Love 4

I got FJ.  I was yelling "PEI, PEI!" at the tv.  I continue to be amazed at how many Canadian clues are TS's.  

I am not sure what Amy is thinking with her FJ wagers.  Luckily she is so usually far ahead of the others that she can't lose, but I would play it safe and bank the money.  I think she is getting tired.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 1

I actually read the FJ quote in an article a while ago but the clue was pretty easy even without that knowledge. Amy does seem a bit tired but she also manages to pull off a big lead by the time FJ rolls around. I’ve only seen her challenged once in the recent past. I hope she keeps going. I love streaks and I’d like to see her pass Matt.

• Love 1

I wish Amy would stop answering the low $$ clues at the end of games when she's thousands of dollars ahead of the other 2 contestants, and let them have a chance to answer them.  Throw them some crumbs.  At that point there is no way they could ever come close to half of what she's won, and at least they would feel like they had played the game.  Some of those poor people never get to answer more than 2 or 3 questions.  Once she hits a DD, she's off and running.  She could use that time to rest her brain.  

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

At that moment I said, okay, Dimitri can beat Amy and I'd be okay with it. I like a person with a sense of humor.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arrgh!  You know that movie! With the girl! And law school! Why couldn’t I come up with it???

That's me on so many questions, but not this one.

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I watched legally blonde for the first time recently.  

Wasnt impressed. But at least I knew FJ.  

I suspect it doesn't age well. I haven't watched it since it first came out. But I knew which film they were talking about, and I haven't seen Paper Chase but knew what it was about, so I got the answer in plenty of time.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Before I retired I did have "champagne taste on beer bottle budget."

My father used to say that was me when I was a teen - and that I checked the price tags to buy the most expensive clothes. We shopped at SEARS, I always say that when it came to clothing, Sears was a pretty good hardware store.

25 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I wish Amy would stop answering the low $$ clues at the end of games when she's thousands of dollars ahead of the other 2 contestants, and let them have a chance to answer them.  Throw them some crumbs.  At that point there is no way they could ever come close to half of what she's won, and at least they would feel like they had played the game.  Some of those poor people never get to answer more than 2 or 3 questions.  Once she hits a DD, she's off and running.  She could use that time to rest her brain.  

From personal experience, I think it's disrespectful for a strong competitor to not play the game as well as they can. Losing to a powerhouse isn't great, but for me, it's better to lose that way than to lose when you know the powerhouse is deliberately letting you score.

It was an okay game for me. I haven't been sharp this week, but (I hesitate to jinx myself) I'm doing pretty well in FJ. And now have an Amyasterisk. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 13

Two questions:

1. what exactly was the Legally Blonde FJ question? (If that’s ok to ask—my DVR cut out!)

2. what does it mean to say someone’s hunting for DDs? Can’t a Daily Double be anywhere on the board? So isn’t choosing any clue equivalent to hunting for a DD?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Two questions:

1. what exactly was the Legally Blonde FJ question? (If that’s ok to ask—my DVR cut out!)

2. what does it mean to say someone’s hunting for DDs? Can’t a Daily Double be anywhere on the board? So isn’t choosing any clue equivalent to hunting for a DD?

1. The clue was: One of the screenwriters of this 2001 film described it as "'Clueless' meets 'The Paper Chase"'

2. They can be anywhere but statistically (according to this Vox article, though I've read this before somewhere; I think during James' run there was some stuff out there about it) they are most likely to be in the fourth row, followed by the third and fifth, then second, and least likely to be in the top row (though I thought there was one not too long ago).

• Love 4
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I saw The Paper Chase movie and the TV series. Also I’ve seen at least two Legally Blonde movies, so that was pretty easy.

I know of three places for potatoes: Idaho, Oregon, and Jersey in the Channel Islands. Don’t know why, but PEI makes me think of mussels. Is that a thing there?

Loved the Bassett Hound!

Hopefully we're on the same Channel Islands.I absolutely love Jersey Royals but they have such a short season, I worked on Jersey for a while and my first wife's family was from there

I have been very disappointed with the lack of potatoe varieties available since moving to the US. Pink Fir Apple potatoes are another favourite.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, rejnel said:

Two questions:

OK to ask, but one place to find it is j-archive.com

13 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Hopefully we're on the same Channel Islands.I absolutely love Jersey Royals but they have such a short season, I worked on Jersey for a while and my first wife's family was from there

I have been very disappointed with the lack of potatoe varieties available since moving to the US. Pink Fir Apple potatoes are another favourite.

Yes, same Channel Islands! Family is in Bournemouth England, and we spent about a week on Jersey a few years ago. I’d love to go back.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Well, more lobster (and Malpeque oysters) than mussels, but potatoes are probably the major crop there and Spud Islanders is definitely a nickname for Islanders.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

From personal experience, I think it's disrespectful for a strong competitor to not play the game as well as they can. Losing to a powerhouse isn't great, but for me, it's better to lose that way than to lose when you know the powerhouse is deliberately letting you score.

Good point, @Clanstarling.
But, ironically, if Amy did do what @laredhead suggests with regards to throwing the other contestants "some crumbs," this would result in her having smaller leads going into FJ, making her wagers proportionately smaller, and since Amy is no longer routinely getting FJs, her  resulting losses would be smaller when she fails to know FJ.

IDK. I haven't done the actual math to see if the totals would be that different, since "throwing crumbs" would also result in a total lower amount going into FJ.

Anyway, about Amy's string of recent high FJ wagers that were lost, I guess
either:

• Amy expects to know the FJ based on the category and win big,
    or:
  • Amy has taken to heart Ken's definition of it being "just House money" and is enjoying playing with it
    and/or:
  • Amy wants to be and to be seen as more in it for winning games than winning another million $.

And here's my all-time favorite Amy Outfit (from yesterday, January 19):

image.png.a8088dfd43c4112974c028a8d8ed9d2d.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Good point, @Clanstarling.
But, ironically, if Amy did do what @laredhead suggests with regards to throwing the other contestants "some crumbs," this would result in her having smaller leads going into FJ, making her wagers proportionately smaller, and since Amy is no longer routinely getting FJs, her  resulting losses would be smaller when she fails to know FJ.

IDK. I haven't done the actual math to see if the totals would be that different, since "throwing crumbs" would also result in a total lower amount going into FJ.

Anyway, about Amy's string of recent high FJ wagers that were lost, I guess
either:

• Amy expects to know the FJ based on the category and win big,
    or:
  • Amy has taken to heart Ken's definition of it being "just House money" and is enjoying playing with it
    and/or:
  • Amy wants to be and to be seen as more in it for winning games than winning another million $.

And here's my favorite Amy Outfit from yesterday, January 19:

image.png.a8088dfd43c4112974c028a8d8ed9d2d.png

I know James used to go for specific ending amounts with his FJ wagers; I wondered if she was doing the same but I haven't looked at what her total would be if she was right to see if it makes sense (then again James was usually going for numbers that wouldn't make sense to people outside his family/friends).

I think my favorite is the slate blue blouse she's worn a few times now. I like the color.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Might have helped if I knew anything about The Paper Chase.

I saw The Paper Chase when it first came out in theaters, and the same with Legally Blonde. And I easily got FJ (even though I've never seen Clueless). That The Paper Chase is "constantly on television" means nothing to people who do not have streaming services and only a few network stations via antenna. It's possible Amy is one of those people like I am, only has OTA antenna TV. So I do not blame her or anyone else who did not get that FJ. 

I too got a big charge out of Dimitri's DD bid. So funny. 

I join you with being glad Mayim was not there for that clue or any other clues. I saw a commercial for a tournament coming up on nighttime television, her face right up in the camera mugging, and I was all oh, ugh.

I am enjoying Amy's run. While I've always watched this show for the clues/answers and have never cared who is playing or who wins or loses, seeing Amy every day is comforting, like I'm tuning in to see a good friend play. I would love to have her as a friend IRL. The combination of Ken and Amy is like chicken soup on a cold day. And while I am a Matt Amodio fan, I wouldn't mind if Amy won the ToC. Just let no one else win besides Matt or Amy please Tournament Gods!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

I am enjoying Amy's run. While I've always watched this show for the clues/answers and have never cared who is playing or who wins or loses, seeing Amy every day is comforting, like I'm tuning in to see a good friend play. I would love to have her as a friend IRL. The combination of Ken and Amy is like chicken soup on a cold day. And while I am a Matt Amodio fan, I wouldn't mind if Amy won the ToC. Just let no one else win besides Matt or Amy please Tournament Gods!

I want to see them go against each other.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 7

I think what Amy is doing is doubling the next highest score from hers and then betting a bit less than the difference from that and her own score. So if she had 50,000 and the next 3,000 she could bet around 43,000 and still be assured the win.  It gets you biggest win while staying safe. 

• Love 2

Wednesday's FJ:  I have not seen any of those movies.  I know that Clueless is based on a Jane Austen novel that I have not read.  And -- drum roll -- I did not get FJ.  :-)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

It's possible Amy is one of those people like I am, only has OTA antenna TV. So I do not blame her or anyone else who did not get that FJ. 

I think if Amy has a weak area it's pop culture;  movies, modern novels, pop music, etc.  Amy was probably reading books on physics while I was reading "Where the Crawdad's Sing," last year.  I'll be really interested in the person who finally beats her.

• Love 4

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

I join you with being glad Mayim was not there for that clue or any other clues. I saw a commercial for a tournament coming up on nighttime television, her face right up in the camera mugging, and I was all oh, ugh.

The Jeopardy/J6 game on Amazon devices now has Mayim's voice instead of Alex's. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me with the saccharine exuberance. (And I say this as someone who watches and strangely enjoys her Call Me Kat show!)

• Love 5

I didn't even know The Paper Chase was a movie. I remembered it was a TV show when I was a kid. I never watched it, but my mother did. It starred that guy who did those commercials about how EF Hutton earns their money the old fashioned way-- they earn it. I remember I hated him. He just seemed so smug! Like people are not working hard, except for creeps who think their portfolio is morally superior and oh so sweaty.

ANYWAY: I got FJ. 

--

I am interested to see Matt and Amy compete against each other, but I'm almost afraid to see it. I like them both but they have such opposite styles, that I worry about how that will play out. I don't really want to see either one of them lose.

I actually want to see Amy exceed Ken's record; it would be fun to see him congratulate her. He seems to be a very good sport about the possibility. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Pallida said:

The Jeopardy/J6 game on Amazon devices now has Mayim's voice instead of Alex's. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me with the saccharine exuberance. (And I say this as someone who watches and strangely enjoys her Call Me Kat show!)

I just went and played the J6 game on the J! website and that at least still has Alex's voice (but it's just the intro; you have to read the clues yourself). 

I got 10/12...

• Love 2

As of the show aired yesterday, Amy has lost $143K in FJ wagers (meaning that she could have earned $286K more over her run to date).

36 games at $2K and $1K for the second and third place finishers makes $108K in consolation money for her opponents.

So indeed, she's gambled away more in that round than those she's beat have made.

She has successfully wagered $273,800 in FJ, accounting for about 23% of her total winnings.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, laredhead said:

I disagree that Amy should throw some crumbs. That would be fixing the game other contestants have had opportunities to answer Daily Doubles and failed.

• Love 7

When is the Tournament of Champions?  If Jeopardy keeps having champions whose runs last for extended periods, they can finish the ToC in a week.

I'll be honest, I don't like long term champs.  I feel sorry for the other opponents.  It's why I think the show should at least cover their travel expenses.  

I also think the camaraderie that develops between the host and the long-term champ is sometimes distracting.  It happened between Mayim and Matt Amodio, too.  

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

When is the Tournament of Champions?

The new EP recently announced that he plans to have it in November every year, beginning this year.  It's his way of having a consistent "postseason," during (I think) the "sweeps" period for ratings.  Depending on how Amy's run goes and what happens afterwards, they may have more contestants with fewer wins than usual in the tournament.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

I'll be honest, I don't like long term champs.  I feel sorry for the other opponents.  It's why I think the show should at least cover their travel expenses.  

I understand this feeling, and I do feel sorry for the other contestants but...

Let me preface this with something I know nothing about, I do not understand statistics, numbers are not my friend but I've always been fascinated by the Mythbusters ep where they work out the statistics of Let's Make a Deal, that it's better to change your choice after one door is opened than to stick. I don't understand clearly why (and please don't explain this thread isn't the place for that )

Anyway what I was thinking is when 3 people show up to play, 2 of them are going home, no matter what.

• Love 5